Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

CON & LAB now level pegging in the GE most seats betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Fucking love me a bit of Seville. Especially at night

Must be the most unWoke city in the west

First we’re gonna turn your beautiful Islamic minaret into a CHURCH TOWER. Then we’re gonna build an ARCHIVE OF PLUNDER next door

Later on we shall be killing bulls. In a dedicated arena. For fun. Try the octopus and chili skewers. De nada

You sound jittery and hammered. Would benefit from watching some Bake Off to take the edge off.
    Do you think he realises he didn't hold the camera straight?

• Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    2h
    (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet in Uzbekistan on Friday and discuss trade as well as sales of Russian fertilizers and mutual food supplies, the Kremlin said on Tuesday.

==

Anyone else pissed off that one of our absolute key Commonwealth countries is dealing with Vlad?

Yes. I understand India always face several ways at once and try and have their cake and eat it. Same way he gives sympathises over HMQ and then tries to whip up a bit of anger for his own benefit over other British monarchs.

Modi is a nationalist and so we shouldn't be surprised he acts like one.

I don't like Congress or the BJP so I don't know who I'd vote for if I were Indian.
    India has been largely aligned if not formally allied with Soviet Union > Russia for a LONG time now. Mainly on account of conflict and war (hot and cold) with Pakistan AND China.

Independent actors, but believing Delhi - Moscow connection is vital for their security.

"We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

SSI - Not sure I agree entirely with his late lordship, but can see what Pam was driving at. So could Nehru and his successor up to Modi (with individual & political nuances) regardless of domestic differences.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited September 2022

biggles said:

Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    2h
    (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet in Uzbekistan on Friday and discuss trade as well as sales of Russian fertilizers and mutual food supplies, the Kremlin said on Tuesday.

==

Anyone else pissed off that one of our absolute key Commonwealth countries is dealing with Vlad?

In the long run, I think actions should have consequences. We’re India to get too close to Russia, why allow it into the regional alliance to protect against China? (A pressing threat to India).

Also: “What’s that Pakistan, you want to place a massive order for all that western kit that just outdid the stuff Russia has sold to India in Ukraine? Help us keep a lid on Afghanistan and you can fill your boots”.
    It's a fluid world as ever. The sands of alliances constantly shifting in the winds.

I refer you to Palmerston*.

“We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow”.

Cuts both ways of course and we should expect no more and no less from India.

*Plus, topically, this one: “The policy and practice of the Russian Government has always been to push forward its encroachments as fast and as far as the apathy or want of firmness of other Governments would allow it to go, but always to stop and retire when it met with decided resistance and then to wait for the next favorable opportunity”.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    I see that ALL the brave Royals will be wearing their full military dress uniforms except the very, very bad one... Harry
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,397
    You folks ought to get your new monarch some Fisher space pens: https://www.spacepen.com/ They write in zero-G, upside down, and so forth.

I'm sure the company would be glad to make some for the British market, with appropriate decorations.

(The two I use every day commemorate Apollo 11 and Apollo 13, but there are many others already available. The pens make, I think, nice small presents -- and can be used as gentle reminders that thank-you letters are nearly always appreciated.)
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    edited September 2022
    Deleted
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760

LOL!!!!

Moshe Schwartz
    @YWNReporter
    ·
    2h
    Reporter: 'Was the Pentagon surprised by the speed of Ukraine's counteroffensive in the Kharkiv region?

Pentagon Press Secretary Pat Ryder: "If anyone was surprised, just based on the reports that we've seen.. it was probably the Russians."

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1569738899404034049

I think she's Russian to judgement there.

• Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews
    Even the most war-happy Putin loyalists on Russian TV are now pushing for the recognition of "serious defeats" Russia has suffered in Ukraine: "Where was our damn reconnaissance? All of their heads should be laying on Putin’s desk, hacked off at the base."

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1569728908962185216
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268

MaxPB said:

Don’t get queueing to see the Queen sorry

Yes, it's all very strange but if it gives people closure then that's something.
    Not sure it's strange. I'd like to go but I can only queue for 2-3 hours (max) after work and can't for 20-30 hours overnight.

Plan B is to go to Windsor Castle and the Chapel later in the year when it's all calmed down.

Leon said:

First we’re gonna turn your beautiful Islamic minaret into a CHURCH TOWER. Then we’re gonna build an ARCHIVE OF PLUNDER next door

Later on we shall be killing bulls. In a dedicated arena. For fun. Try the octopus and chili skewers. De nada

I find it interesting that you haven't mentioned or commented on the death of HMQ once.

Why?
    What on earth are you talking about?!

I’ve mentioned it a lot. Expressed my serious sadness. I predicted several times how it would impact people more than they expected. I’ve noted international reaction

I also noted how the news was first confirmed to me as I walked some mad cliffs in alentejo. After my walk I checked into a sweet little hotel in Vila
    Nova de Milfontes. The owner, a kindly old portugee lady, came up to me and said, in sad, pale-faced shock “your queen is dead!”
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

King Charles III making another scene today then? 👀

He's the King, he's allowed to beat up on peasants and their leaky pens.
    I doubt he's ever suffered the madness of a biro no longer working even though it is clearly still full of ink, the lucky devil.
    Gel pens. I tell you, they changed my life mate.
    Paper mate?
    Yes thats what you write on mainly

Well done Sunil
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    ydoethur said:

LOL!!!!

Moshe Schwartz
    @YWNReporter
    ·
    2h
    Reporter: 'Was the Pentagon surprised by the speed of Ukraine's counteroffensive in the Kharkiv region?

Pentagon Press Secretary Pat Ryder: "If anyone was surprised, just based on the reports that we've seen.. it was probably the Russians."

Putin on a show, perhaps.
  • biggles said:

biggles said:

Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    2h

==

In the long run, I think actions should have consequences. We’re India to get too close to Russia, why allow it into the regional alliance to protect against China? (A pressing threat to India).

Also: “What’s that Pakistan, you want to place a massive order for all that western kit that just outdid the stuff Russia has sold to India in Ukraine? Help us keep a lid on Afghanistan and you can fill your boots”.
    It's a fluid world as ever. The sands of alliances constantly shifting in the winds.

I refer you to Palmerston*.

“We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow”.

Cuts both ways of course and we should expect no more and no less from India.

*Plus, topically, this one: “The policy and practice of the Russian Government has always been to push forward its encroachments as fast and as far as the apathy or want of firmness of other Governments would allow it to go, but always to stop and retire when it met with decided resistance and then to wait for the next favorable opportunity”.
    Yes well, I think we can put Palmerston down as a cynic.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,748
    edited September 2022
    If Ukraine are ultimately successful, then its support for Ukraine over the past 8 years will be Britain's greatest foreign policy achievement since the second world war. It will outshadow the blunder in Iraq, and undo much of the vast and unnecessary harm caused by Brexit. It will also do a vast amount to restore Britains self confidence in the face of the endless attacks from within.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

LOL!!!!

Moshe Schwartz
    @YWNReporter
    ·
    2h

Putin on a show, perhaps.
    Putin on a shown up, more like.
  • geoffw said:

ping said:

Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    2h

==

Britain in 2022 is a rather weak country. Our soft and hard power has been in serious decline for two decades. Perhaps there was some inevitability about this (compare with France) but we’ve undoubtedly made some serious defence & foreign policy fkups, too. Iraq2, brexit - and the pointless forever-war with Europe, the slimming down of our armed forces, the departure from Afghanistan.

We’re a weak, shrivelled country compared to what we should be.

Can’t blame India, really. They’re playing the real politik game, looking after their interests. They don’t need to listen to Britain any more.
    ICYMI:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/once-britains-largest-colony-india-meets-queen-elizabeths-death-with-indifference
    Not really surprising if, as I have learned today, the vast numbers in rural India never knew they were part of the British empire in the first place.

It always seems to be overlooked that most Maharajas, caste/ aristocratic Indians and others were co-conspirators in the Raj, and millions served in its police and forces with loyalty and distinction. After the mutiny when the public mood changed the British Government moved too, if belatedly.

The most likely alternative to rule by the British Empire was rule by another that would have been highly unlikely to have built up universities and legal and parliamentary institutions.

• Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    2h

==

Yes. I understand India always face several ways at once and try and have their cake and eat it. Same way he gives sympathises over HMQ and then tries to whip up a bit of anger for his own benefit over other British monarchs.

I don't like Congress or the BJP so I don't know who I'd vote for if I were Indian.
    India has been largely aligned if not formally allied with Soviet Union > Russia for a LONG time now. Mainly on account of conflict and war (hot and cold) with Pakistan AND China.

Independent actors, but believing Delhi - Moscow connection is vital for their security.

"We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

SSI - Not sure I agree entirely with his late lordship, but can see what Pam was driving at. So could Nehru and his successor up to Modi (with individual & political nuances) regardless of domestic differences.
    India was non-aligned right up to the Bangladesh conflict of 1971. It signed a treaty with the Soviets in August that year.

• Todd Gillespie
    @_ToddGillespie
    ·
    1h
    Uniper announces its coal unit at Ratcliffe in Nottinghamshire will stay online until 2024 -- the third and longest UK coal plant extension

Follows Kwasi Kwarteng's call to keep coal capacity online as we head into winter with a gas shortage in Europe

https://twitter.com/_ToddGillespie/status/1569751749031874561

==

Not a million miles from me. Seems a good decision.
  • Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, it's all very strange but if it gives people closure then that's something.
    Not sure it's strange. I'd like to go but I can only queue for 2-3 hours (max) after work and can't for 20-30 hours overnight.

Plan B is to go to Windsor Castle and the Chapel later in the year when it's all calmed down.

Leon said:

I find it interesting that you haven't mentioned or commented on the death of HMQ once.

Why?

I’ve mentioned it a lot. Expressed my serious sadness. I predicted several times how it would impact people more than they expected. I’ve noted international reaction

I also noted how the news was first confirmed to me as I walked some mad cliffs in alentejo. After my walk I checked into a sweet little hotel in Vila
    Nova de Milfontes. The owner, a kindly old portugee lady, came up to me and said, in sad, pale-faced shock “your queen is dead!”
    I haven't seen it. Just your meals.
  • geoffw said:

I want to know why The Royal Welsh's "goat" has a tail that points down

It looks like a sheep to me

If you think it's a goat because it's not all woolly, then you need to play sheep or goat
    https://act.heifer.org/sheep-or-goat/

You need to get to know even-toed ungulates better.

I've spent far too much time looking at sheep and goats

I was once chatting to my old colleague from Kyrgyzstan about Kyrgyzstan

We somehow got onto their national animal, the Urial. "Beautiful goats with big horns that live in the mountains", she told me

I took one look and told her, correctly, that it was a sheep

I queued up to see the Queen Mum lying in state when she karked it. I confess I did it mainly to annoy my lefty friends - and see a bit of history

Queue took 2 hours in the middle of the night. When you get in Westminster Hall the atmos is spellbinding. The huge crown on her coffin glittered in the semi darkness. The guardsmen with their heads bowed. The last empress of India

Magnificent

I would definitely do it for the Q but I suspect the lines will be 15 hours long

geoffw said:

If you think it's a goat because it's not all woolly, then you need to play sheep or goat

How much time is the correct amount?
    Police must be at least giving cursory thought to rounding up the disrespectful anarchists that have booked for Centre Parcs on the 19th. This sort of radical holidaying on a public holiday needs to stop. Now is not the time.

• Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    2h

==

China is a greater threat to India, and Russia can't really do much for them.

You'd think they'd recognise that.
  • darkage said:

If Ukraine are ultimately successful, then its support for Ukraine over the past 8 years will be Britain's greatest foreign policy achievement since the second world war. It will outshadow the blunder in Iraq, and undo much of the vast and unnecessary harm caused by Brexit. It will also do a vast amount to restore Britains self confidence in the face of the endless attacks from within.

Very good point, actually.

We will have helped inflict a major strategic defeat on our principal adversary for very little cost.

Police must be at least giving cursory thought to rounding up the disrespectful anarchists that have booked for Centre Parcs on the 19th. This sort of radical holidaying on a public holiday needs to stop. Now is not the time.

No one should enjoy themselves too much until the funeral. No intoxicants, enforced celibacy, and heaven help you if you watch a dirty comedy and crack a smile...
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

You sound jittery and hammered. Would benefit from watching some Bake Off to take the edge off.
    Do you think he realises he didn't hold the camera straight?
    Slapdash work wasn't it.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I see that ALL the brave Royals will be wearing their full military dress uniforms except the very, very bad one... Harry

Includingthe Duke of Rape.

This more than anything persuades me that Our Dear King is a psychotic pig, humiliating his own son on grounds of wounded self importance. And presumably permitting Prince Child molester to wear the kit just to point up the fact.

Republic NOW.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

The interesting thing in that clip is how Camilla manages him and picks up the pieces.

With HMQ and DofE it was the other way round, and King Charles is 50% Philip.

I hope he gets a little bit of private space to process it all after Monday next week.

It's interesting. I think Camilla will prove to be rather magnificent over the course of King Charles's reign and the King himself somewhat less so...
  • kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

King Charles III making another scene today then? 👀

He's the King, he's allowed to beat up on peasants and their leaky pens.
    I doubt he's ever suffered the madness of a biro no longer working even though it is clearly still full of ink, the lucky devil.
    Gel pens. I tell you, they changed my life mate.
    Paper mate?
    Yes thats what you write on mainly

Well done Sunil
    https://www.papermate.com/
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    IshmaelZ said:

Flight tracking statistics regarding the final flight of Queen Elizabeth II

In the minute after the transponder of C-17 ZZ177 activated, an unprecedented 6 million people attempted to follow the flight….

70 years after her first flight as Queen aboard the BOAC Argonaut “Atalanta,” Queen Elizabeth II’s final flight is the most tracked flight in Flightradar24 history.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1569755794375065602

I have flown BOAC which makes me a member of an elderly and diminishing club

And BEA and PanAm
    Viscount; BAC 1-11; 727…
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Flight tracking statistics regarding the final flight of Queen Elizabeth II

In the minute after the transponder of C-17 ZZ177 activated, an unprecedented 6 million people attempted to follow the flight….

70 years after her first flight as Queen aboard the BOAC Argonaut “Atalanta,” Queen Elizabeth II’s final flight is the most tracked flight in Flightradar24 history.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1569755794375065602

I have flown BOAC which makes me a member of an elderly and diminishing club

And BEA and PanAm
    Viscount; BAC 1-11; 727…
    Vanguard, particularly relevant to Turnhouse-Heathrow ...

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Why?

I’ve been reading your reaction with interest. Quite intense

Mine comes and goes, I think I would be feeling it more if I was at home. That’s partly why I am away, I suspect. Tho I also LOVE Seville. It must be one of the most seductive cities in the world in the dark

Chin chin. The queen would approve of the frankly enormous gin and tonics here. Her mum even more so

Leon said:

I queued up to see the Queen Mum lying in state when she karked it. I confess I did it mainly to annoy my lefty friends - and see a bit of history

Queue took 2 hours in the middle of the night. When you get in Westminster Hall the atmos is spellbinding. The huge crown on her coffin glittered in the semi darkness. The guardsmen with their heads bowed. The last empress of India

Magnificent

I would definitely do it for the Q but I suspect the lines will be 15 hours long

Trying to talk your way out of it but I'm not convinced and I doubt Casino is either.
    Leon said:

Magnificent

Never understood the lying in State thing, nor the queueing to have a look thing.
  • Flag of the State of Azerbaijan raised by an Azerbaijani SOF at a captured Armenian position.

We cut the footage as the bodies of 15 Armenian soldiers were in the video.

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1569770793541988352
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    2h

==

China is a greater threat to India, and Russia can't really do much for them.

You'd think they'd recognise that.
    But they do. That is why they side with Russia. There have been border clashes between China and India for many years now.

• I see that ALL the brave Royals will be wearing their full military dress uniforms except the very, very bad one... Harry

He exiled himself off to the colonies and gave up all the trappings.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

geoffw said:

We somehow got onto their national animal, the Urial. "Beautiful goats with big horns that live in the mountains", she told me

She must have felt very goatish.
  • King Charles is subject to a boatload of stress, and it shows from time to time, re: inkwell-gate & etc.

What also shows is that he's pretty comfortable in his own skin, and with his new stature. YOU may not be comfortable with it or him. But His Majesty is, and I think that is helping him right now, privately AND publicly, and for at least the near future.

In contrast, KCIII's first (but likely not last) Prime Minister is still looking distinctly uncomfortable, though maybe not as much she did right after the late Queen's passing. The sooner she can get down to work, or at least LOOK like she's working, the better for her. And really no immediate need for anything earth-shattering. Just reasonable appearance of getting to grip with His Britannic Majesty's Govt.

Could be that the comfort index might shift dramatically as time progresses; Truss has already shown she's capable of self-improvement on the political stage - though just how much is still an open question, or rather THE question of her premiership. And King Charles, like his fellow Head of State Joe Biden, is just a few REALLY bad gaffes away from SERIOUS trouble. Both are considerably improved on that score from their younger (and middle age) days, though old habits die hard, and old established media/political narratives even harder.

Carnyx said:

5/5 for me. Jizz is goat. Also because of Army mentality. Sheeps is dinner in the mess.

PS: Isn't it Royal Welch Fusiliers? (Pedantry.)
    3rd Battalion, The Royal Welsh
    https://www.theroyalwelsh.co.uk/3rd-battalion

I was taught that it's always just in the tail - up goat, down sheep

It's why I don't mind eating kids instead of lambs
    Ah, thanks - on checking, the RWF was in 2006 reduced to a single battalion, 1st of the new "Royal Welsh" regiment, the 3rd battaslion thereof being a different lot, former TA.

And me too re up/down ...

darkage said:

Very good point, actually.

We will have helped inflict a major strategic defeat on our principal adversary for very little cost.
    To us, yes.

Sense zero interest in Bake Off on here. Was going to liveblog it - like Ian memorably does with Crufts - but I don't think I'll bother.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    kinabalu said:

Sense zero interest in Bake Off on here. Was going to liveblog it - like Ian memorably does with Crufts - but I don't think I'll bother.

Bit claggy that one. Mrs Foxy is a fan.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2022
    Echelon Insights producing just absolutely wild American Senate polling numbers

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1569754673858445316

#NEW
    @EchelonInsights
    /
    @NetChoice
    Polls (8/31-9/7):

#PAsen:
    Fetterman (D) 57% (+21)
    Oz (R) 36%
    #AZsen:
    Kelly (D-inc) 52% (+15)
    Masters (R) 37%
    #GAsen:
    Warnock (D-inc) 50% (+10)
    Walker (R) 40%
    #OHsen:
    Ryan (D) 45% (+6)
    Vance (R) 39%

I was going to immediately dismiss these as hot nonsense and designed to drive GOP donations/turnout as Echelon are an extremely partisan outfit but looking at their 2020 polling they actually did alright.

I still lean heavily on the "hot nonsense" theory but the figures are just too crazy not to share.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    kinabalu said:

Am watching Fake or Fortune and will then do Bake Off.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,748
    I imagine that India are indifferent to what is going on in Ukraine. It is just a war that doesn't affect them. It is a war between other countries. A lot of 'non-alligned' countries are quite sympathetic to Putin's claims that the US was bullying Russia with NATO expansion because they have similar complaints about the west. Also the 'moral authority' of the west was shattered by Iraq and other conflicts we have either got involved in or stayed out of. The answer probably isn't to go and 'arm Pakistan because Modi met Putin' because that brings with it its own problems and consequences.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587

He exiled himself off to the colonies and gave up all the trappings.
    Lucky for us that Andrew stuck around then.
    kinabalu said:

Most pointless show on television. This week anyway.
    edited September 2022
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Magnificent

Trying to talk your way out of it but I'm not convinced and I doubt Casino is either.
    Not convinced of what?!

Your constant projection of your fucking boring tiny Woke fucking mindset is fucking tedious

I queued for the Queen Mum and when she died I didn’t nearly cry. I very nearly DID cry for Her Majesty the Q - she meant a lot to me - and I would totally queue for her, but yes there’s a limit. 15 hours? Two days? Probably not

I will be there in the crowds for the funeral cortège
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    IshmaelZ said:

This more than anything persuades me that Our Dear King is a psychotic pig, humiliating his own son on grounds of wounded self importance. And presumably permitting Prince Child molester to wear the kit just to point up the fact.

Republic NOW.
    I do wish oiks like you would show some respect
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Nigelb said:

Viscount; BAC 1-11; 727…

A noble old bird.

I do like a good Viscount ... :smile:

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Dynamo said:

Carnyx said:

Why does King Charles and the royal family hate the NHS?

Hasn't he just taken a vow to defend the national religion?
    Just in Scotland?
    Didn't know we'd had a coronation with the Honours of Scotland. You may be thinking of the Proclamation. You get your (geographical) bit in Westminster Abbey, anyway.
    Can Nicola please state unequivocally that the Stone of Scone isn't leaving Scotland. C'mon - score the open goal!
    I really cannot see how doing so could possibly be a good idea, for the cause of Scottish independence, for the cause of republicanism, for the continuing legend of the Stone and therefore its pulling power as a tourism attraction, even for Russia (if that's your bag). It's an all round 360 degree shit idea. Do you have any arguments in its favour?
    I am an English unionist republican who is happy to ally tactically with supporters of Scottish independence in the context of getting rid of the monarchy - on the assumption of mutual respect, as in any tactical alliance. Something very good might come out of that, e.g. a UR (not a UK) comprised of four republics each of which has a proper (i.e. written) constitution that allows it to hold a binding secession referendum at any time but no sooner than 5 years after the last one, and which can change its constitution to say otherwise if it wishes, following the constitutional procedure for changing the constitution and without reference to a union supreme court.

One of my probs with Scottish separatists is that some of them say they truly despise the Tories, a wholly laudable attitude to take, while unfortunately having an insufficient understanding of what the Tories are really about. ^ Said programme could be a help. Don't underestimate, Scottish friends, how much some English people detest the Tories too. As I have said before, WTF is the British monarchy other than the Tory party playing dressup? Many voters in Scotland whether pro or anti independence would agree with that characterisation. It needs to appear now in more and more minds: f*** the Tories and their monarchy.

Dumping monarchy is a key goal if things are going to move forward in these isles. It is indispensable. Put it centre.

What a load of rubbish. King Charles has more Scottish blood than English blood and the monarchy is at most One Nation Tory it is certainly not Thatcherite, for starters the late Queen got on better with Harold Wilson that Margaret Thatcher.

Even Sturgeon backs keeping the monarchy as she knows she needs to convince soft Unionists who want to keep the royal family to ever have a chance of independence. Far left republicans are nowhere near enough
    Surely 1/4 mixed Danish/Greek, 1/4 mixed English/German, 1/4 mixed English/Scots and 1/4 English nominally.

Unless you think that the royal blood of Charles II erases all else? Yet he was half POrtuguese ...
    The Queen Mother was Scottish, the royal family are also descended from Mary Queen of Scots more directly than Elizabeth 1st of England
    You said "more Scottish blood than English". But you're confounding place of birth and genetic propinquity.

King George VI was English. His wife was born in Scotland, but the child of a Scot and an Englishwoman. That makes the [edit] late HMtQ 3/4 English. Unless you think there is something mystical about trhe blood of particular persons taken at random 400+ years ago. You could just as well argue that KC is Dutch - more direct and reliable line of descent there.
    Until independence goes through, surely being Scottish is either a question of self identifying as such, or else it’s “could you play for Scotland” type rules.

I would push for the former rather than the latter since, if I move to and live in Scotland pre-independence presumably I’ll be entitled to become a Scottish citizen. However, either way
    I reckon the King can claim to be Scottish. He could play for Scotland.

He couldn't. Born in England, and 1/8 Scots by parentage. More likely to qualify for Greece.
    He's a big fan of Greece. In a Greek newspaper on one of his visits last year he said it was "part of his identity". Carolos, as they call him there.
    I’m getting the impression Chuck is a big fan of wherever he is at any given moment, duff writing arrangements apart. He’s gonnae come a cropper at some point, ‘Hello Barrowlands, I love you all!’ when he’s at Covent Garden.
    Well, yes and no. He's always talking about Greece as "the land of his father's birth" when he visits there, and has also visited Mount Athos about a hundred times. I think the key person there was his grandmother who turned up from Athens, chainsmoking and having become a Greek nun, in Buckingham Palace in 1968.
    I can see she would have been a breath of, er, fresh air. Was she the one that did good works saving people from the Nazis?
    Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice_of_Battenberg

Leon said:

Magnificent

We are hoping to go Friday evening and queue for as long as it takes to pay our respects to the late Queen
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Center Parcs must be shit on the Easter weekend.
  • IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

She must have felt very goatish.
    They look more goatish for sheep, than sheepish for goats.

Good friend of mine raised goats, loved goats, hated sheep because according to him they have zero personality.

Which NOBODY who knows one end of a billy OR nanny from the other will ever say about our caprine friends!

Leon said:

Magnificent

Never understood the lying in State thing, nor the queueing to have a look thing.
    Worth it if you can see the body, otherwise what's the point?
  • kinabalu said:

Sorry Kinabalu. Now’s not the time. We’re all feeling it too much.
    JACK_W said:

Nigelb said:

Viscount; BAC 1-11; 727…

A noble old bird.

I do like a good Viscount ... :smile:

Big windows too ...

Center Parcs must be shit on the Easter weekend.
    Model of consistency throughout the year.

kinabalu said:

I gather there is an actual show called Pointless. Which brings self-referential irony to its zenith.

• kinabalu said:

Was a big fan of the original (for us) seasons broadcast in America by PBS.

Leon said:

Magnificent

It is honestly magical in a sombre way. These rituals exist for a reason

Why do we do any of this grieving stuff? Why a grave? A tomb? A service? Ashes to ashes? Black widows weeds? Jade jewelry? Flowers laid at a certain spot?

Looked at with pure materialist mindset it is all mad. Yet it helps us to mourn and move on. And when a MONARCH dies you multiply the ritual by 10 or 100. Or, in the Queen’s case, a million

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Leon said:

Magnificent

Ah, Leon’s “leftie friends” again. I’d love to know more about them, which particular brand of progressivism they belong to to create these batshit insane reactions to Leon’s crazy antics.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    I'm really not interested in all the Hello Magazine/Daily Heil gossip about them but the shoddy way he's treating his own son, even while turning a blind eye to his abusive brothers shenanigans, rather gives credence to the idea that what Harry and Meghan had to say was true all along.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Why?

I’ve been reading your reaction with interest. Quite intense

Mine comes and goes, I think I would be feeling it more if I was at home. That’s partly why I am away, I suspect. Tho I also LOVE Seville. It must be one of the most seductive cities in the world in the dark

Chin chin. The queen would approve of the frankly enormous gin and tonics here. Her mum even more so

Is that what you get all over town with your drink(s), instead of beer nuts or pickled pigs ears?
  • kinabalu said:

I watched it once and was appalled to see that they were peddling one of the most dangerous drugs of all, cake. Surprised it is legal.

Leon said:

Magnificent

It's just a symbolic act of respect, in a way the longer the queue to wait the more respect is felt to be showed.

People are weird - they'd spend money and kill people to own a random fingerbone said to be that of a saint, or make an idol out of random bits of wood, or make a ritual about circling a piece of rock. Non-religious rituals keep the weirdness though with a bit less pretension about it.
  • darkage said:

Any hint as to who are those enemies within?
  • Actually as a sceptic, watching C4News coverage of Northern Ireland I did acknowledge that in that context royalty has had a place. And the Queen personally made a major contribution to ensuring a lasting peace.

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    I'm really not interested in all the Hello Magazine/Daily Heil gossip about them but the shoddy way he's treating his own son, even while turning a blind eye to his abusive brothers shenanigans, rather gives credence to the idea that what Harry and Meghan had to say was true all along.
    I must say I was startled to learn that the ritual calendar apparently has, on day 5, "Sacrifice of the New King's Former Servants". Okay, given their redundo rather than being slain and placed in the tomb as of old; but why couldn't it wait till after the ten days?

kinabalu said:

Well it's not meant to have a point. Apart from bringing the nation together in a way that nothing else can. Surprised PB is immune.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Magnificent

We are hoping to go Friday evening and queue for as long as it takes to pay our respects to the late Queen
    You put him to shame.
  • Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    I must say I was startled to learn that the ritual calendar apparently has, on day 5, "Sacrifice of the New King's Former Servants". Okay, given their redundo rather than being slain and placed in the tomb as of old; but why couldn't it wait till after the ten days?
    Its rather strange considering that if their job went with the individual, then he's still around as King now, whereas if it went with the title, there's a new Prince of Wales. So their jobs really shouldn't be redundant you'd have thought?
  • kinabalu said:

I watched it once and was appalled to see that they were peddling one of the most dangerous drugs of all, cake. Surprised it is legal.
    Lyndon LaRouche used to bang on about QEII being the Queen Bee (or rather Ma Barker) of the international drugs trade.

Turns out THAT was just a cleaver deception/diversion; the REAL Royal Menace being the Victoria Sponge.
    edited September 2022

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    Its rather strange considering that if their job went with the individual, then he's still around as King now, whereas if it went with the title, there's a new Prince of Wales. So their jobs really shouldn't be redundant you'd have thought?
    Apparently there is no automatic new PoW so there is a legal break? Bit shit though like being made redundant on Christmas Eve. You'd think they could wait till the funereal equivalent of 12th Night.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

Flag of the State of Azerbaijan raised by an Azerbaijani SOF at a captured Armenian position.

This is just the start. Putin has just screwed this up so badly. Russia is going to lose against Ukraine. Let me say that again. Russia is going to lose to Ukraine. And Russia will start to fall apart. Provinces will break off. Violence and rebellions everywhere. With a frisson of Nukes. Shit.
    darkage said:

I imagine that India are indifferent to what is going on in Ukraine. It is just a war that doesn't affect them. It is a war between other countries. A lot of 'non-alligned' countries are quite sympathetic to Putin's claims that the US was bullying Russia with NATO expansion because they have similar complaints about the west. Also the 'moral authority' of the west was shattered by Iraq and other conflicts we have either got involved in or stayed out of. The answer probably isn't to go and 'arm Pakistan because Modi met Putin' because that brings with it its own problems and consequences.

I am sure it is correct they are indifferent, and that makes quite a bit of sense from their perspective.

But, such that moral authority is a thing (which is not much) it does in fact balance the scales from the Iraqs of the world somewhat. Sure, that was still very wrong, but if we accept that India and many others are as is their right free to not give a shit about a war which is of much greater interest to Europe and the USA than it is to them, when it is still a war with a very clear bad side and they could acknowledge that without even doing anything, then it becomes easier to ignore attempts to chide the West about it. So they have no reason to care one whit about Ukraine, that's fine, the West need not kid itself that anyone raising the shame of Iraq is exercising moral superority - it's cold hard national interests all around.

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    What you find with Meg is there's always a grain of truth in everything so says but it's "her" truth so she takes a certain scenario or event and puts her own "truth" on it.

The marriage with the Archbishop in the garden which was actually just a private blessing is a prime example.
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    'Shoddy way he is treating his own son'? It is Harry who abandoned his royal duties to cash in in California, Harry who has been trashing a family who gave him everything, Harry who has been behaving like a self pitying brat, Harry who brought personal pain to his grandmother by the self centred actions of he and his wife in her final years and Harry who has still been begging Charles for continued financial support.

It was also of course Charles and William who told the Queen to strip Andrew of his royal duties and titles
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Magnificent

I genuinely recommend it. if the Queen Mum’s lying in state is anything to go by. The queue I was in was all chatty and jolly and swapping sandwiches and jokes, and then when you finally got in: Wow

Instant, thunderstruck sadness. A beautiful, noble moment. I’m not quite sure why. The mise en scene is peerless, of course. Westminster Hall! Rufus’ Roaring Hall. One of the greatest medieval buildings in the entire world. And where they found the King’s High Table. What incredible history. Few countries can boast this. Maybe not one. Maybe it is only Britain that has this

The Queen will lie in state in the near 1000 year old hall built by the son of William the Conqueror, her direct ancestor, and where Charles the First, her direct ancestor, was condemned to the axe, on the marshy site first made sacred by the early Anglo Saxon kings, her direct ancestors

I hope you get in
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631

Andy_JS said:

"Peter Hitchens
    @ClarkeMicah

In France it is *illegal* for traders to refuse cash payments in lawful currency. Article 642-3 of the French penal code states that traders cannot “refuse cash payments for the settling of accounts,” and they can be fined up to €150 for doing so. We should copy this .
    5:08 PM · Sep 12, 2022"

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1569357341484613633

We absolutely should not.

If traders don't want the security risk of carrying or accepting cash then that should be their prerogative. Take your business elsewhere if you're not happy with that.

Why do people like Hitchens want a big state to micromanage their lives for them? Let people choose what they want to do or accept.
    Because this law while big state keeps the big state out of worse things such as being to track every electronic payment. Sorry you are wrong here this is a little big state rule to prevent worse big state interference. Big state would love every transaction to be electronic and therefore trackable. You are so on the wrong fucking side of it
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well it's not meant to have a point. Apart from bringing the nation together in a way that nothing else can. Surprised PB is immune.
    Its marginally less ridiculous than Gogglebox is the most complimentary i can be
  • DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Magnificent

Ah, Leon’s “leftie friends” again. I’d love to know more about them, which particular brand of progressivism they belong to to create these batshit insane reactions to Leon’s crazy antics.
    I hope he’s little more civil with them than he is with lefties on this board.

Actually as a sceptic, watching C4News coverage of Northern Ireland I did acknowledge that in that context royalty has had a place. And the Queen personally made a major contribution to ensuring a lasting peace.

Here's her speech at Dublin Castle from 2011. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKz-6vn_i00
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Magnificent

Not convinced of what?!

Your constant projection of your fucking boring tiny Woke fucking mindset is fucking tedious

I queued for the Queen Mum and when she died I didn’t nearly cry. I very nearly DID cry for Her Majesty the Q - she meant a lot to me - and I would totally queue for her, but yes there’s a limit. 15 hours? Two days? Probably not

I will be there in the crowds for the funeral cortège
    Well let's see how you feel if you really do join the throng next Monday. Perhaps you will manage to cry but you shouldn't force the tears if they're not there.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    Sorry to bang on about Kherson, but it is the key to the rapid collapse of the war:

"Ukraine’s negotiating position should be simple: Russian forces can happily withdraw into a POW camp after handing their equipment over. Seriously, “We’re out of ammo, please let us out with all our gear” is not a particularly well-leveraged negotiating position. There’s no plausible “or else…” that is even remotely compelling to Ukraine."

https://www.24talker.com/news/feature-news/ukraine-update-russia-wants-out-of-kherson-as-the-reality-of-their-trap-finally-dawns-on-them/
  • Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    Charles is keen on a slimmed-down monarchy apparently. I suspect some of the big houses with a massive staff are going to go.
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    'Shoddy way he is treating his own son'? It is Harry who abandoned his royal duties to cash in in California, Harry who has been trashing a family who gave him everything, Harry who has been behaving like a self pitying brat, Harry who brought personal pain to his grandmother by the self centred actions of he and his wife in her final years and Harry who has still been begging Charles for continued financial support.

It was also of course Charles and William who forced the Queen to strip Andrew of his royal duties and titles
    Given what you said about Royal nationalities as demonstrated earlier, you must either be a thoroughly unreliable commentator on the RF, or have some explosive confidential information on the family's relationships. Which is it?
  • Actually as a sceptic, watching C4News coverage of Northern Ireland I did acknowledge that in that context royalty has had a place. And the Queen personally made a major contribution to ensuring a lasting peace.

Indeed. As did her grandfather George V.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I still like it, though I find a little of the charm has been chipped off slightly over the years as the presenting/judging cast have rotated through. And I find the C4 era is a bit too "construct a 3d thing out of cake". I think they've just run out of different cakes to bake, so the challenge is just...build a bigger cake.
    DavidL said:

Flag of the State of Azerbaijan raised by an Azerbaijani SOF at a captured Armenian position.

This is just the start. Putin has just screwed this up so badly. Russia is going to lose against Ukraine. Let me say that again. Russia is going to lose to Ukraine. And Russia will start to fall apart. Provinces will break off. Violence and rebellions everywhere. With a frisson of Nukes. Shit.
    Things could indeed go very badly for a very large group of people (quite rightly the Ukrainians don't feel obliged to consider that, they've got their own shit to deal with right now). It's still to be seen how bad or how quickly things might mess up from here for Putin, but it does seem likely that he, like all in his position, seems to have bought into his own myth that he is a master of maniupulating events. The idea things could exceed his ability to control them does not seem to have entered into his thinking, and throwing tens of thousands into a war, and unifying his opponents, not even contemplated.
  • DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Magnificent

I hope he’s little more civil with them than he is with lefties on this board.
    Face to face v. virtual anonymity? You bet.
    DavidL said:

Zelensky's forces have certainly pushed the Russians back but I expect fighting in the Donbass and Crimea to continue for years
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

Sorry to bang on about Kherson, but it is the key to the rapid collapse of the war:

"Ukraine’s negotiating position should be simple: Russian forces can happily withdraw into a POW camp after handing their equipment over. Seriously, “We’re out of ammo, please let us out with all our gear” is not a particularly well-leveraged negotiating position. There’s no plausible “or else…” that is even remotely compelling to Ukraine."

https://www.24talker.com/news/feature-news/ukraine-update-russia-wants-out-of-kherson-as-the-reality-of-their-trap-finally-dawns-on-them/

What about let us withdraw in good order or we will nuke you until you glow? How does that sound?

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    It has already been stated the aim is to help some find jobs elsewhere in the Royal Household eg with the new Prince of Wales
  • DavidL said:

Good. Best thing that can possibly happen, and will be good for most Russians too.

The problem with Russia is that its a Muscovite Empire that keeps the worst traditions of Empire going. The Provinces are absolutely impoverished and bled dry third world style to keep a standard of living going in Moscow. So long as things are smooth in Moscow, the rest of the country can go to hell in a handcart.

A breakup of the Russian Federation and provinces going independent and being able to sink or swim on their own rather than being drained for Moscow would be a very good thing.
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Republic NOW.
    It has already been stated the aim is to help some find jobs elsewhere in the Royal Household eg with the new Prince of Wales
    "But daaaaadd, your old staff are lame!"

Perhaps his Afghan campaign medal on a
    dark suit would be an interesting contrast.

Though Andrew saw active service too. Hence the Eighties era joke:

Q: what's the difference between Koo Stark and the Argentine Navy.

A: only one has blown up Andy's chopper.

Ah, that's my coat...
  • darkage said:

Any hint as to who are those enemies within?
    https://youtu.be/AuBYlWszxiU
This discussion has been closed.