Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters give her a 41% chance of being PM after next election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    IanB2 said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Good speech and interesting that she referenced building and spades in the ground so much. Perhaps she's planning some genuine free market reforms on planning.

Tbh I was wondering if the Prime Minister accidentally skipped a section there. It made no sense.
    The Prime Minister said, "We'll get spades in the ground to make sure people are not facing unaffordable energy bills."

It makes no sense; she must have lost her place in the script and missed a sentence.
    Metaphor surely? No planning and talking, immediate action
    No, it's incoherent even as a metaphor.
    Going with "Brexit is like having a baby" would have made more sense.
    Because you’ll be paying for it the rest of your life?
    Brexit is very much like making love to a beautiful woman…

Just no.
    I think biggles means it’s his fantasy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

Who is education and who is transport?

A delay as Truss is speaking to Biden

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1567245198102503425?s=20&t=B6_BE91KBQbwYmIL20hi6w
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Who and what?
    The new Tory Party Chairman.

Jake's a top bloke, follows me on Twitter, he has excellent judgment.
    He is a complete wanker, he pretends to live in a Red Wall constituency and speak for the North while maintaining multiple homes and a property empire on Ynys Mon.

He'll be the first one out, Paterson-style
    According to Wikipedia he loves in Rossendale. Which isn't really red wall.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,813
    edited September 2022

What was the PB view on Truss's short introductory speech ? I missed most of this.

Pretty standard fare , some vacuous nonsense that new PMs always say and also a few fluffed lines from Truss . Thankfully she didn’t channel her inner Thatcher and we didn’t hear , where there is discord ...

However the speech was the highlight , it’s been all downhill ever since with some cabinet picks that wouldn’t look out of place if it was April fools day !
  • Options

Sky News are dumb as a box of rocks.

We need more Latin lessons in our schools.

The grammar is bad but the point is an important one. Anyone who didn't realise that this was what Brexit was about is a moron.
    (Interestingly, the person I heard pointing this out most forcefully, spitting with rage about a project to dismantle the welfare state being sold as all about getting more money for the NHS, was a former Tory PM, John Major. It sure as hell isn't his party anymore).
    The IEA mob think the UK need to be more like America.

Living as I now do in New York, I would argue that would be a big mistake.

The problem the IEA crew have is this.

There is no way they can get a mandate for their vision of the UK though at a General Election. I suspect that would have been the case even in 2019. (Actually, Jez vs JRM... what would have happened? Very rapid realignment, I hope.)

But without a General Election mandate, they are going to really struggle to make it happen. Anything needing laws is going to get stuck in the Lords.

We're going to get two years of idealogues pressing buttons and shouting, aren't we?

If we're lucky.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Coverage of immigration is insanely poor

“Suella Braverman: home secretary set to take even harder line on migration”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/06/suella-braverman-home-secretary-set-to-take-even-harder-line-on-migration?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“Even harder line”.

From that you’d believe we are basically North Korea. Admitting no one. But in fact the UK handed out 1 MILLION visas last year and we have one of the most liberal migration regimes on earth. Plus the boat people

It’s farcical

You must be delighted that wishy-washy namby-pamby cancel culture loving pro-migrant snowflake Priti Patel is gone.

Yet another liberal Home Secretary removed - perhaps we'll get a proper Conservative Home Secretary this time - to be fair, if you want a hard-line Home Secretary, wait for a Labour Government.
    It will be interesting to see if she really is 'Priti on Steroids'. Patel had the advantage of having actually done some work running government departments. Braverman has done a bit of work in a Brexit department, but then went on to be Attorney General, where her main role was to put up a respectable legal facade for dodgy political antics, and where she embarrassed herself and destroyed her reputation as a lawyer.
    I would expect it to be the usual scenario where she barks out a load of extreme rhetoric and then can't make anything happen because it is all gets bogged down in inpeneterable bureaucracy. But perhaps she will surprise us.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,437

I like the way they even quote someone else saying 'alumni' and still go ahead with their version.

I can only imagine it's pronounced alum-news and they're some kind of creature maybe related to wildebeest. Along the lines of the Alot
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    HYUFD said:

What was the PB view on Truss's short introductory speech ? I missed most of this.

We were inspired by her oratory
    Was it John Major or Tony Blair who started the tradition of the introductory speech when reaching No.10?

Like all her predecessors, Truss was long on generalities and banal platitudes and short on specifics. Plenty of pointless commitments, a pep talk and hints of the "sunlit uplands" but no sense of any understanding of the real problems facing the country.

Apart from that, she managed to deliver the speech and not fall over so kudos for that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    nico679 said:

Pretty standard fare , some vacuous nonsense that new PMs always say and also a few fluffed lines from Truss . Thankfully she didn’t channel her inner Thatcher and we didn’t hear , where there is discord ...

However the speech was the highlight , it’s been all downhill ever since with some cabinet picks that wouldn’t look out of place if it was April fools day !
    "Aspiration nation" was the low point. Could have been worse.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jacob Rees Mogg to lead the government response to tackling climate change

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1567216544412745730?s=20&t=S3vZZNxeI7KoT2rgiO48Mg

That's genuinely funny. Even better that Truss apparentlycan't find ANYONE who wants to serve him as climate change minister. let nobody say that MPs will do anything for a Ministerial title.
    Given he doesn’t believe in climate change his junior minister would get to do anything so what’s the point?
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Was it John Major or Tony Blair who started the tradition of the introductory speech when reaching No.10?

Like all her predecessors, Truss was long on generalities and banal platitudes and short on specifics. Plenty of pointless commitments, a pep talk and hints of the "sunlit uplands" but no sense of any understanding of the real problems facing the country.

Apart from that, she managed to deliver the speech and not fall over so kudos for that.
    Heath and Thatcher did intro speeches outside No 10 too
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    It seems to be a government of all the Kwasis.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:
    Is "without portfolio" code for Minister for the North?
    Jake. When. I. Were. A School. Girl. In. T'. North. Yeh. Were. Luc. ky.. If. Yeh.. Got. A Sheet. O. Pa. Per. Let. A. Lone. A. Port. Blu. Dy. Fo. Lio.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Jacob Rees Mogg confirmed as new Business, Energy and Industrial Secretary

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1567245923255816193?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Good speech and interesting that she referenced building and spades in the ground so much. Perhaps she's planning some genuine free market reforms on planning.

Tbh I was wondering if the Prime Minister accidentally skipped a section there. It made no sense.
    The Prime Minister said, "We'll get spades in the ground to make sure people are not facing unaffordable energy bills."

It makes no sense; she must have lost her place in the script and missed a sentence.

Just no.
    Some back and forth, a bit of yelling and then a faintly embarrassing mess?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1567245198102503425?s=20&t=B6_BE91KBQbwYmIL20hi6w
    Yes, neither is particularly fluent.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

How could you forget Thatcher’s promise to replace discord with harmony?
  • Options
    Simon Clarke is the new Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1567247526587236356?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    HYUFD said:

A bit embarrassing when he asks her who her lead on climate change is...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    nico679 said:

What is noticeable, as with her first "victory" speech, is the style - Truss doesn't do drip-drip announcements. If she something to say, she assembles it for a big bang, rather than give hints along the way. We are literally little the wiser after her first two speeches, but on Thursday we'll get quite a lot.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    I hope they’ve made Kemi a sandwich a tea. She’s been in there ages.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

kle4 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/06/suella-braverman-home-secretary-set-to-take-even-harder-line-on-migration?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“Even harder line”.

From that you’d believe we are basically North Korea. Admitting no one. But in fact the UK handed out 1 MILLION visas last year and we have one of the most liberal migration regimes on earth. Plus the boat people

It’s farcical

Nothing worse than someone who is the child of immigrants being anti-immigrant...
    I don't see what's bad about that. People should not be expected to hold certain opinions due to their background.
    Well I disagree . If your life chances have been helped by the welcome you were given in the UK it’s not right to then be anti giving that to others who were in the same position .
    That might well be considered hypocritical, to a degree, but it is outweighed in my view by the idea you must hold certain political opinions based on your origins or else you are condemned for your views.

And your example does not in any case cover the children of immigrants. How many generations should they be bound by the act of their forebears? If only one parent was an immigrant are they half as bound?

What if someone says their life chances were helped by being born in a UK with lower immigration? Are their no limits, are they required to support unrestricted immigration or can they suggest there be limits on numbers? There might have been such limits for their parents' generation, so why would it be wrong to place restrictions now? If, say, 100k were allowed in the year your parents came, and you support a limit of 100k now, is that wrong? Why, it is no more or less than was in place before?

As I say, I am in favour of immigration, but I think it genuinely unfair to hold someone to account for choices not their own made in a different time. Patel, Braverman, anyone else with relatives who have immigrated in recent times or themselves did, I'll judge the policy on its merits, not on the race or origin of the person presenting it.
    On this, the thing with Braverman, is that she has been bigging up her immigrant background, IE in her maiden speech in parliament, explaining that her parents were fleeing 'turmoil', which she now seems to want to prevent other people from doing. So it possibly does come across as though she is celebrating a sort of 'pull the ladder up behind me' narrative, which isn't a very good look.
  • Options

The grammar is bad but the point is an important one. Anyone who didn't realise that this was what Brexit was about is a moron.
    (Interestingly, the person I heard pointing this out most forcefully, spitting with rage about a project to dismantle the welfare state being sold as all about getting more money for the NHS, was a former Tory PM, John Major. It sure as hell isn't his party anymore).

I'm thinking they will be seeing Florida as their inspiration...

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Every single new PM downing street speech is 'hi guys, im all about *insert generality here, for example law and order! Our NHS!* and of course we face real challenges in x and y and even z but this is a great country, i'm going to work to make it even greater. Now on with the job of government and delivering on my pledges to you.' With a few 'a new day has dawned has it not' soundbites thrown in.
    A 30 minute dirge about specific NI protocol changes would just be weird
  • Options
    Any software engineers in the house?

If I had a system which is trying to keep count of stock, if I use an SQL database the count will always be correct because of ACID principles right, at the expense of speed? Would this be okay if I am keeping count of stock which has thousands of orders per minute?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Yes, New York is too statist for the IEA, Mississippi might be their inspiration. Douglas Carswell over there as head of the Mississippi Centre of Public Policy and delighted by the new Cabinet
    https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1567236170660167683?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
    https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1567241028880531465?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Just no.
    I think biggles means it’s his fantasy.
    Honestly, you make a Fast Show joke in 2022 and people act is if it’s not topical….

• Options
    Cookie said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Who and what?
    The new Tory Party Chairman.

Jake's a top bloke, follows me on Twitter, he has excellent judgment.
    He is a complete wanker, he pretends to live in a Red Wall constituency and speak for the North while maintaining multiple homes and a property empire on Ynys Mon.

He'll be the first one out, Paterson-style
    According to Wikipedia he loves in Rossendale. Which isn't really red wall.
    Where does he live and laugh?
  • Options
    @Jacob_Rees_Mogg
    It is an honour to be appointed as the new Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. I look forward to serving the Prime Minister and the country during the challenging times ahead.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    When this goes sideways, she is not going to have many friends on the backbenches
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1567245923255816193?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA

Excellent news. I enjoy listening to JRM.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

nico679 said:

What is noticeable, as with her first "victory" speech, is the style - Truss doesn't do drip-drip announcements. If she something to say, she assembles it for a big bang, rather than give hints along the way. We are literally little the wiser after her first two speeches, but on Thursday we'll get quite a lot.
    You never know Nick, she might be all about the tradition of announcing policy to parliament
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@Jacob_Rees_Mogg
    It is an honour to be appointed as the new Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. I look forward to serving the Prime Minister and the country during the challenging times ahead.

“PM and country”? In that order? And no Queen?

It really is the third eleven.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    At Business I reckon JRM is basically going to be real-life Ebeneezer Scrooge.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

It’s possible I suppose that Truss intends to be her own BEIS minister.

It’s genuinely difficult to explain that appointment. She owes Rees-Mogg very little.

I think she wants to put the department to the metaphorical fire. She was Trade Secretary (it is the DTI isn't it?) so will know the department well, and know what she thinks it needs. Which is probably a good hiding, and he will do it.
    No, BEIS is different from the DTI which Truss ran. It's Minister for the CBI, basically, plus climate change. (and ENERGY!)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

Yes, New York is too statist for the IEA, Mississippi might be their inspiration. Douglas Carswell over there as head of the Mississippi Centre of Public Policy and delighted by the new Cabinet
    https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1567236170660167683?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
    https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1567241028880531465?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
    It's all going swimmingly in Mississippi at the moment...
  • Options
    This is weirdly charming.

https://twitter.com/aaf_lukas/status/1567244683146928128
    Did you know that the Taliban possess a 80+ years old L3/35 (Carro Veloce CV-35) Italian-made tankette in working condition?
  • Options
    edited September 2022

At Business I reckon JRM is basically going to be real-life Ebeneezer Scrooge.

More like Marley. I don’t foresee a change of views in life.
  • Options
    Chris said:

According to the link posted earlier, Kwasi looks to have been "friendly" with quite a few of the female Tory MPs.

On that note, does anyone think he's had a go with Therese Coffey?

• Options
    @Mr_John_Oxley
    ·
    5h
    My only PM motorcade fact is that Macmillan's driver had to carry a special set of thrupenny bits, in case he needed to use a phonebox to order a nuclear strike as they didn't have a secure communications system in the car.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

Because Mississippi is renowned for its quality of living and economic vigour.
  • Options
    Kemi Badenoch the new Secretary of State for International Trade and President of the Board of Trade

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1567250625204731905?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
  • Options

Chris said:

According to the link posted earlier, Kwasi looks to have been "friendly" with quite a few of the female Tory MPs.

That is a very concerning thought for so early in the evening.
  • Options

Chris said:

Very funny !
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@Mr_John_Oxley
    ·
    5h
    My only PM motorcade fact is that Macmillan's driver had to carry a special set of thrupenny bits, in case he needed to use a phonebox to order a nuclear strike as they didn't have a secure communications system in the car.

He is incorrect, it was 4 pennies
  • Options

nico679 said:

You never know Nick, she might be all about the tradition of announcing policy to parliament
    Yes, I meant it as a compliment.
  • Options
    : Liz Truss has spoken to
    @JoeBiden
    “The Prime Minister and President Biden reflected on the enduring strength of the Special Relationship”
    https://twitter.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1567251066323976192?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    HYUFD said:

@JoeBiden
    “The Prime Minister and President Biden reflected on the enduring strength of the Special Relationship”
    https://twitter.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1567251066323976192?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA

I wonder if Joe actually knew who he was talking to?
  • Options
    The lack of safety net in the US (regardless of it being New York or Mississippi) is terrifying and the consequences of that are starkly visible pretty much wherever you go.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,187
    edited September 2022
    Much PB Tory ambivalence towards Truss' appointments. Is this the state of things to come?

I am just mightily relieved Johnson has packed his trunk and said goodbye to the circus. He did so with his usual poor grace and self indulgence.

Now he's gone there seems less expectation amongst the scribblers that he will return. Good riddance.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

@JoeBiden

.."and Liz Truss agreed not to blow it up as a result of a dispute over Northern Ireland, knowing how many other issues she already to deal with on so many fronts."
  • Options
    Kemi Badenoch International trade
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@Mr_John_Oxley
    ·
    5h

Surely MOD would accept reversed changes from the PM?
  • Options

nico679 said:

And i was being tongue in cheek
    But she may. Would be nice to get back to that.
  • Options
    Who will be taking over the crucial Brexit Opportunities brief !

• Options
    edited September 2022

The lack of safety net in the US (regardless of it being New York or Mississippi) is terrifying and the consequences of that are starkly visible pretty much wherever you go.

Agreed, the US is great if you are a rich high earner but certainly for the poor most other western nations are better and even middle income earners maybe in terms of not having to pay for healthcare etc and greater gun control
  • Options

nico679 said:

And i was being tongue in cheek
    But she may. Would be nice to get back to that.
    We’ll see. I’m going with “all over the papers on Wednesday night following the first Cabinet earlier in the day”.
  • Options
    Chloe Smith is the new Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1567251844845420545?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1567251844845420545?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA

The outgoing Cabinet's mind-bending forbearance towards Boris Johnson doesn't seem to have done them much good, does it?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Agreed, the US is great if you are a rich high earner but certainly for the poor most other western nations are better and even middle income earners maybe in terms of not having to pay for healthcare etc and greater gun control
    It’s treacherous waters to compare, but I’d argue that there is a better quality of living in the US for the middle and top third, but you have to put up with the very visible distress and desperation of the bottom third.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Right, let's try this again for the benefit of @wooliedyed, @IanB2, @HYUFD and any others who picked up on my previous:

Who was the first Prime Minister to conduct a speech using a lectern outside No.10 on their first day in office? Tony Blair certainly did and I think it was one of Mandelson's presentational ideas so I suspect it wasn't John Major.

Previous Prime Ministers had made a few remarks to camera but not a formal speech with a lectern.
  • Options

Much PB Tory ambivalence towards Truss' appointments. Is this the state of things to come?

I am just mightily relieved Johnson has packed his trunk and said goodbye to the circus. He did so with his usual poor grace and self indulgence.

Now he's gone there seems less expectation amongst the scribblers that he will return. Good riddance.

Boris has gone yes but hold onto your seats because on this Cabinet Truss' government will be the most economically rightwing this country has had since Thatcher. Indeed more laissez-faire than even Thatcher's was until her last years in office
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Boris has gone yes but hold onto your seats because on this Cabinet Truss' government will be the most economically rightwing this country has had since Thatcher. Indeed more laissez-faire than even Thatcher's was until her last years in office
    As I saw someone say earlier, this isn’t Thatcherite. This is Reaganite.

Yuck.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It’s treacherous waters to compare, but I’d argue that there is a better quality of living in the US for the middle and top third, but you have to put up with the very visible distress and desperation of the bottom third.
    There are also certain vicissitudes that weigh upon all but the most privileged, the lack of holidays, paid parental leave, the quality of food, the lack of intellectual life except in certain places, and the ongoing racial issue that touches everything.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,187
    HYUFD said:

You wrote that as though it were a good thing. Martin Sinclair is a huge concern. There will be only carcass left when he's picked through the bones of the economy.
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

@Mr_John_Oxley
    ·
    5h

Surely MOD would accept reversed changes from the PM?
    That was also in the plan as 'it would not take appreciably more time' if they didnt have any pennies
    The car was fitted with the same equipment the AA used and he would be radioed on it and informed to go to the nearest phone box and call whitehall to authoruse retaliation
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Cyclefree said:

This government was elected on the basis of the 2019 manifesto.

Leaving the ECHR was not in that manifesto and the Lords would be perfectly entitled to block such a measure.

The manifesto also contained this promise - "We will continue to grant asylum and support to refugees fleeing persecution, with the ultimate aim of helping them to return home if it is safe to do so."

Page 39 on workers rights: not just preserving existing rights but enhancing them is worth reading too.

If Truss wants to tear up the 2019 manifesto and govern according to a new one, she should call a GE. If not, she can do what the government which was elected promised to do in that manifesto.

Governments are not restricted to doing only what is in their manifestoes, and for good reason as unforeseen circumstances might arise and calling a GE every time you do something new would be prohibitive. So I think claiming they need a GE to do it is being a bit unserious.

However, what it does mean is that there is no urgency behind it, nothing menaingful for them to point to as the will of the people (people may want a grip on immigration, but that does not mean they will electorally support anything proposed to do that), and indeed the Lords can and should resist it if they think that appropriate.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    stodge said:

Right, let's try this again for the benefit of @wooliedyed, @IanB2, @HYUFD and any others who picked up on my previous:

Who was the first Prime Minister to conduct a speech using a lectern outside No.10 on their first day in office? Tony Blair certainly did and I think it was one of Mandelson's presentational ideas so I suspect it wasn't John Major.

Previous Prime Ministers had made a few remarks to camera but not a formal speech with a lectern.

I remember there was huge fuss made over Mandelson's stage-managed day with the Blair speech and the union flags handed out to Party workers, made to look like ordinary people. I'm pretty sure it was Blair ; unless I've forgotten anything about Major. I can't imagine a big inaugural speech would have been his style. "That never buttered a parsnip", as he used to say.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

How could you forget Thatcher’s promise to replace discord with harmony?
    That worked out so well, too.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

The outgoing Cabinet's mind-bending forbearance towards Boris Johnson doesn't seem to have done them much good, does it?
    It did for those who having backed Boris switched quickly to Liz, for the rest eg Shapps, Raab, Eustice, Sunak, Dowden, Javid, Patel it seems there is no room. For those heavyweights not even in the pre resignation Boris Cabinet like Hunt and Greg Clark, forget it
  • Options
    This is a generation whose ideologies were formed in the 90s, but they’ve learned nothing since those days.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

nico679 said:

kle4 said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

“Even harder line”.

It’s farcical

Nothing worse than someone who is the child of immigrants being anti-immigrant...
    I don't see what's bad about that. People should not be expected to hold certain opinions due to their background.
    Well I disagree . If your life chances have been helped by the welcome you were given in the UK it’s not right to then be anti giving that to others who were in the same position .
    That might well be considered hypocritical, to a degree, but it is outweighed in my view by the idea you must hold certain political opinions based on your origins or else you are condemned for your views.

And your example does not in any case cover the children of immigrants. How many generations should they be bound by the act of their forebears? If only one parent was an immigrant are they half as bound?

What if someone says their life chances were helped by being born in a UK with lower immigration? Are their no limits, are they required to support unrestricted immigration or can they suggest there be limits on numbers? There might have been such limits for their parents' generation, so why would it be wrong to place restrictions now? If, say, 100k were allowed in the year your parents came, and you support a limit of 100k now, is that wrong? Why, it is no more or less than was in place before?

As I say, I am in favour of immigration, but I think it genuinely unfair to hold someone to account for choices not their own made in a different time. Patel, Braverman, anyone else with relatives who have immigrated in recent times or themselves did, I'll judge the policy on its merits, not on the race or origin of the person presenting it.
    On this, the thing with Braverman, is that she has been bigging up her immigrant background, IE in her maiden speech in parliament, explaining that her parents were fleeing 'turmoil', which she now seems to want to prevent other people from doing. So it possibly does come across as though she is celebrating a sort of 'pull the ladder up behind me' narrative, which isn't a very good look.
    That's fair, and she can be judged for that. But that is a far cry from the idea that, as a general rule, it is one fo the worst things for the child of an immigrant to be anti-immigrant.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,182
    Another extraordinary thread about terrifying AI art

https://twitter.com/supercomposite/status/1567162288087470081?s=21&t=kdEk5Ztjb-RkEm_BRAI0CQ

Guys, we need to face facts. These machines are ALIVE and they are FUCKING WEIRD
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    Kit Malthouse is Education Sec
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://twitter.com/supercomposite/status/1567162288087470081?s=21&t=kdEk5Ztjb-RkEm_BRAI0CQ

Guys, we need to face facts. These machines are ALIVE and they are FUCKING WEIRD

Perhaps Liz Truss is our first AI PM?
  • Options
    With Simon Clarke replacing Greg Clark, I’m ready to agree with those who suggested that this Cabinet is pretty much a Lizzite coup.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Excellent news. I enjoy listening to JRM.
    Well, I'm glad someone is about it. Perhaps he can stick to the business of his department and not invent radical new interpretations of the British constitution whilst pretending he is a conservative, like the idea MPs shouldn't be able to remove their party leader because the public voted for them (which they did not).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

Chris said:

That would be a mountain too far for him to climb.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And from a government elected to level up and increase NHS funding. Red Wall voters - you have been had.
  • Options

This is a generation whose ideologies were formed in the 90s, but they’ve learned nothing since those days.

Makes a change from all those 80s throwbacks I guess.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Has she appointed an independent ethics advisor?

Or is she not bothering on the basis that there is no point expecting any sort of ethical standards from this government?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leaving the ECHR was not in that manifesto and the Lords would be perfectly entitled to block such a measure.

The manifesto also contained this promise - "We will continue to grant asylum and support to refugees fleeing persecution, with the ultimate aim of helping them to return home if it is safe to do so."

Page 39 on workers rights: not just preserving existing rights but enhancing them is worth reading too.

If Truss wants to tear up the 2019 manifesto and govern according to a new one, she should call a GE. If not, she can do what the government which was elected promised to do in that manifesto.

Meet the new set of chancers.
    Not wildly different from the old set of chancers.
  • Options

The generation who's understanding of Thatcher comes from when she was going gaga, not when she was actually governing.
  • Options
    Kemi biggest winner thus far - as others have said above a brief that allows her to be out of the country lots, with low hanging fruit to spin as successes.

Pile on her for next Tory leader.
  • Options
    Leon said:

No, that's the new Cabinet you're thinking of.
  • Options
    I suspect this is the most fiscally right wing cabinet Britain has ever seen.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Kit Malthouse the new Education Secretary, he was a staunch Boris loyalist and Boris' Deputy as Mayor of London and backed Truss for the leadership
    https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1567254103981543429?s=20&t=NUQRUhQ02LVJDL06metRrA
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,439
    edited September 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Or is she not bothering on the basis that there is no point expecting any sort of ethical standards from this government?

I think la Truss is on the record as believing she doesn't need one;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62657384

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Cyclefree said:

I think she'd already said she wouldn't on the basis it is pointless as you can't outsource ethics.

Which is true, the presence of an ethics adviser will not make an unethical person act ethically as we've seen, but given she thinks Boris has done nothing wrong and he should still be running the country (and us therefore missing out on these apparently vital changes she will now propose), if she is going to say she will act with integrity or punish those without it I think I may die laughing.

It's the same thinking of why you don't need any kind of standards - I always act properly. Therefore, if someone accuses me of not doing so, they are wrong. No need to look further.

Call it the Paterson principle.
  • Options

Kemi biggest winner thus far - as others have said above a brief that allows her to be out of the country lots, with low hanging fruit to spin as successes.

Pile on her for next Tory leader.

Interesting post-Brexit development. In Gvt should we always view DIT as a strong platform for the next (Tory) pm?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Meet the new set of chancers.
    Not wildly different from the old set of chancers.
    I think I've had it with politics really.

There has been an interesting recent case on whistleblowing in the Care Quality Commission. The NHS has quite an issue with whistleblowing and to see the same problems in the CQC is quite demoralising.

I wonder what @Foxy thinks.

I may write about this for my work blog, whistleblowing being my specialism these days.
  • Options
    By the way, in other news, there are lots of indications that Russians are getting routed all over the place at the moment...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Yep. Thatcher's children.
    In that they were mostly children under her.
  • Options

I suspect this is the most fiscally right wing cabinet Britain has ever seen.

On a technicality I’m going to say that’s late Gladstone. Fiscally dry as dust, in favour of free trade, and supportive of the most limited welfare possible.
This discussion has been closed.