Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s making a big mistake on the Women’s soccer team – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-62403993

“And again our country has failed a 12-year-old child“

I’m sorry, but no. I know she’s a grieving mother. And I’ve refrained from commenting either privately or publicly until now. But when the poor boy’s poor mother makes statements like that (and others, far worse), it’s only right that they’re challenged.

That kid has received some of the best medical care from one of the best health services the modern world has ever seen.

“Who failed Archie?” is, bluntly, not an argument his family should want to start. That line of argument could end very badly for them.

Correct. He has been dead since his nearly successful suicide attempt and even deader since his brain went necrotic several weeks back

This is how benign contempt for Christians turns into incredulous loathing
    The feeling is mutual I assure you
    Loathing a fellow human being doesn't sound like following Christ's teaching to me.
    Depends which bit of the Bible you read, the Old Testament is very much part of my Bible as much as the New. Certainly plenty of tough treatment of those who took on the true believers there.

I certainly don't do wet Christianity and I am quite prepared to give Ishmael as good as he gives out
    “…But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?…”

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,065
    Christ, we really are like the bar in Cheers, aren't we?

I'd like to think I am Sam the barman, or maybe Frasier Crane, but I worry I am actually the ageing postman
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198

If Braverman does move to the Home Office, Truss is going to have to find another lawyer willing to debase themselves, their office and the rule of law to replace her as Attorney General. Brandon Lewis maybe?

The public are gonna just love this line up.

Pass the popcorn Jeeves.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Leon said:

I'd like to think I am Sam the barman, or maybe Frasier Crane, but I worry I am actually the ageing postman

You're an ageing something if you remember Cheers
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Pesky non white types - cluttering up the language. Why oh why can't we all be just PEOPLE?

You’ve already been categorised by @Leon , remember.
    Yes, I know. "Quite intelligent but oddly narrow minded".

It's actually not too bad when I write it out myself.

In fact I'll take it. 🙂
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Leon said:

Truss is determined to make "Rwanda" work. That seems bold to me, because the only way you can make it work is by flying out serious numbers of migrants, so there really is a deterrent effect and the boats stop coming

That will take Cullions of Steel. I don't believe any UK government has the bravery to do this. Quite a test, and an early one

You have to remember that everything she and Sunak say at the moment is pitched at the Tory membership.

Next to none of it will survive beyond August.
    We hope.
    Hoe can we be sure?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,784
    Leon said:

Cheers was brilliant and Frasier was on another level .
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Truss is determined to make "Rwanda" work. That seems bold to me, because the only way you can make it work is by flying out serious numbers of migrants, so there really is a deterrent effect and the boats stop coming

That will take Cullions of Steel. I don't believe any UK government has the bravery to do this. Quite a test, and an early one

You have to remember that everything she and Sunak say at the moment is pitched at the Tory membership.

We hope.
    Hoe can we be sure?
    I am a wishful thinking addict tbf.
  • Options

Leon said:

The average age of PB is surely about 68, so I don't think I'm pitching this comparison at a youthfully bewildered audience
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    Leon said:

Nothing says brave quite like shitting all over desperate people who have lost everything in order to get votes from racists.
  • Options
    More Beernuts!

OK @rcs1000 is Sam the barman

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    Leon said:

You're Norm in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Xr8vkuFZA
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Pesky non white types - cluttering up the language. Why oh why can't we all be just PEOPLE?

You’ve already been categorised by @Leon , remember.
    Yes, I know. "Quite intelligent but oddly narrow minded".

It's actually not too bad when I write it out myself.

In fact I'll take it. 🙂

We should each rearrange the words to suit ourselves. I'd like to be "Quite narrow but intelligent minded oddly"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The average age of PB is surely about 68, so I don't think I'm pitching this comparison at a youthfully bewildered audience
    Fair point. At least that puts me in the younger half of PB. Just.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited August 2022
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

I’m sorry, but no. I know she’s a grieving mother. And I’ve refrained from commenting either privately or publicly until now. But when the poor boy’s poor mother makes statements like that (and others, far worse), it’s only right that they’re challenged.

That kid has received some of the best medical care from one of the best health services the modern world has ever seen.

“Who failed Archie?” is, bluntly, not an argument his family should want to start. That line of argument could end very badly for them.

Correct. He has been dead since his nearly successful suicide attempt and even deader since his brain went necrotic several weeks back

Loathing a fellow human being doesn't sound like following Christ's teaching to me.
    Depends which bit of the Bible you read, the Old Testament is very much part of my Bible as much as the New. Certainly plenty of tough treatment of those who took on the true believers there.

I certainly don't do wet Christianity and I am quite prepared to give Ishmael as good as he gives out
    “…But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?…”

The Jewish Bible as I said is as much a part of my Bible as the Christian one. I consider myself a proper Judeo Christian.

New Testament meekness and compassion to most people, Old Testament hell fire and brimstone when needed however for the likes of Ishmael!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362
    Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Come back kid - IDS tipped for Cabinet return as Truss’s chief whip if she wins…

Kwateng to No11, Patel to Party Chairman, Braverman to Home, Clarke to Biz.

Cleverly to Foreign, Bandenoch to Education as Mordaunt eyes DCMS.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1554927976680198144

I am done with the Tory Party if Suella Braverman is made Home Secretary.

But that is an incredibly BIPOC Cabinet

My goodness. Kwarteng, Cleverley, Patel, Badenoch, Braverman

I like it. Truss clearly intends to tackle the dinghy people and say Fuck the Woke

BIPOC?

A nonsense acronym from America (where it should stay)

Black, Indigenous People Of Colour
    So, what replaces it then?
    People of Colour works, if we must have something.
    God it really doesn't. It's ghastly. Reducing people to degree of skin colour. And how "coloured" do you have to be to be a POC? Brown? Beige? Ecru? Off white? Faded bra? Cream-grey?

It's hideous. Get rid
    Donald Fucking Trump is a PoC.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

"Why oh why can't we all be just PEOPLE?"

There was a time when this was the rallying cry of the Left. That's when the Left was admirable and noble, and a genuine force for good. Now you say this sarcastically

And thus the Left is reduced to this cranky, weird, ugly, divisive cult, obsessed with sexual and racial identity to the exclusion of all other things, and everyone must be put in a box, and not be mixed with everyone else, and
    everyone stays in their lane lest they "culturally appropriate" pasta or sombreros. Bleak
    Oh look it's more simple simon drivel from the gammon with a vocab. And what's worse it's still coming at 11 pm! How am I supposed to sleep if I get angry and start to tremble?

Oh god.
    He seems obsessed by sexual and racial identity but tries to blame others for doing so

And appropriation and the Wokes - I think he’s Stewart Lee and he’s let himself go
  • Options

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Come back kid - IDS tipped for Cabinet return as Truss’s chief whip if she wins…

I like it. Truss clearly intends to tackle the dinghy people and say Fuck the Woke

BIPOC?

Darkies Black, Indigenous, and people of colour.
    I can see the Neanderthals, but which one is the Celt?
    We Celts are indigenous. Not sure about all you Anglo Saxon Norman immigrants.
    Celts should get to the back of the outrage bus - no Beakers….
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Yes sure, love, but this is not one of those on the one hand, on the other, issues, is it? If you want to deny abortion to underage rape victims, I rate you morally lower than the paedophile. Not kidding. And so does everyone else.

It's your delusion that you are in some way following the teaching of Christ which perplexes me. As I have had to point out before I have actually read the new testament and you haven't, the best you can manage is one of the catchpenny Latin or worse still modern vernacular versions. I don't think I know very much about Him but it is abundantly clear to me that he was an active homosexual and a user of psychedelic drugs. You should imitate Him.
    Given @HYUFD’s record, if Christ resigned and was replaced by Muhammad, he would immediately become a staunch Muslim.
    I would certainly rather be a staunch Muslim than an atheist, it is still at least one of the Abrahamic religions
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

A nonsense acronym from America (where it should stay)

Black, Indigenous People Of Colour
    So, what replaces it then?
    People of Colour works, if we must have something.
    God it really doesn't. It's ghastly. Reducing people to degree of skin colour. And how "coloured" do you have to be to be a POC? Brown? Beige? Ecru? Off white? Faded bra? Cream-grey?

It's hideous. Get rid
    Donald Fucking Trump is a PoC.
    @HYUFD will be along any moment to tell you orange is not a colour.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

For all her manifold faults, Liz Truss will be our first declared atheist prime minister. Bozza is an atheist but pretends not to be occasionally so doesn’t count.

She isn't, she is Christian even if a token one, Johnson is Roman Catholic.

In any case we have had atheist PMs before, Callaghan and Attlee for starters.

Starmer is also an atheist, albeit married to a Jew and respectful of religion
    Can someone explain to me the concept of a ‘token Christian’ ? Is it like Professor Richard Dawkins, a self-declared ‘cultural Christian’?

She doesn’t believe in God. She’s an atheist.
    When had she said she doesn't believe in God?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,404
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

"Why oh why can't we all be just PEOPLE?"

There was a time when this was the rallying cry of the Left. That's when the Left was admirable and noble, and a genuine force for good. Now you say this sarcastically

And thus the Left is reduced to this cranky, weird, ugly, divisive cult, obsessed with sexual and racial identity to the exclusion of all other things, and everyone must be put in a box, and not be mixed with everyone else, and everyone stays in their lane lest they "culturally appropriate" pasta or sombreros. Bleak
    Oh look it's more simple simon drivel from the gammon with a vocab. And what's worse it's still coming at 11 pm! How am I supposed to sleep if I get angry and start to tremble?

Oh god.
    It is unpardonable drivel - the left has never been a genuine force for good.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2022
    Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

I agree. Children's intensive care for several months is not just a financial expense, but also has a major opportunity cost in that that bed cannot be used to support neurosurgery or cardiac surgery on other children. In the USA the medical bill would probably be half a million dollars by now, but no cost to the parents.

Of course the death of a child is traumatic and tragic, but ventilating a corpse for another few months is not appropriate treatment of parental bereavement.
    The parents are Christians. Someone should tell them that their son's soul has left his body, and what remains is not the true 'him'.
    They usually counter that with It is the Lord's will that he stays alive till he doesn't. and I don't think they are particularly Christian, they have just been adopted by a bunch of utterly creepy American fundamentalists who routinely pounce on this sort of opportunity
    You'd think the same people wouldn't be keen on a National Health Service.
    These right wing American Christians genuinely believe that this is a case of “socialised medicine” “murdering” the poor child. It hits their buttons.

They’re proper nuts.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,952
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For all her manifold faults, Liz Truss will be our first declared atheist prime minister. Bozza is an atheist but pretends not to be occasionally so doesn’t count.

Can someone explain to me the concept of a ‘token Christian’ ? Is it like Professor Richard Dawkins, a self-declared ‘cultural Christian’?

When has she said she has? Or given any evidence, behaviour Al or verbal, of believing in a kind bloke in the sky with a beard?

Do you assume people believe in dwarven bed daemons unless given evidence to the contrary?
  • Options
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When has she said she has? Or given any evidence, behaviour Al or verbal, of believing in a kind bloke in the sky with a beard?

Do you assume people believe in dwarven bed daemons unless given evidence to the contrary?
    Yes, of course.

Indeed as far as the Vatican goes if you are baptised Roman Catholic you are always Roman Catholic even if you become an atheist, just one who has strayed along the wrong path
  • Options
    If some of you guys died, I think I'd actually miss you, perhaps more than I'd miss some of my actual flesh and blood friends (not the close friends, but the lesser more peripheral friends, yes maybe)

That is weird. I've barely met any of you

This is surely also a new thing in human society. Getting attached to people you have never met
  • Options
    Leon said:

I've made this comparison before, but I do believe PB is like a local pub you can put in your pocket, on your phone or your tablet

Which makes it quite marvellous

You can be anywhere in the world - Glasgow, LA, Brazil, Antarctica - and you open PB on your screen and that's like opening the door to the pub. And inside you find the regulars, just like in Cheers, wittering away as normal. TSE is polishing the glasses and rolling his eyes at @HYUFD, in the corner by the broken slot machine @Nigel_Foremain is bickering with @BartholomewRoberts, meanwhile @rcs1000 has just rolled out of the loos with cocaine on his moustache and is being teased by @Cyclefree, and @IshmaelZ is completely fucked off his tits AGAIN, but no one minds, and @CorrectHorseBattery is taking notes

@Theuniondivvie is in the corner talking to himself about indyref, with a tartan lampshade over his head

It's brilliant

And, like a pub, people get barred.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

The Jewish Bible as I said is as much a part of my Bible as the Christian one. I consider myself a proper Judeo Christian.

New Testament meekness and compassion to most people, Old Testament hell fire and brimstone when needed however for the likes of Ishmael!
    That may sound funny to you. Not to me. The twats who flew those planes into those towers were firmly in the judeo Christian tradition. 3000 people burning to death funny to you?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I've made this comparison before, but I do believe PB is like a local pub you can put in your pocket, on your phone or your tablet

You can be anywhere in the world - Glasgow, LA, Brazil, Antarctica - and you open PB on your screen and that's like opening the door to the pub. And inside you find the regulars, just like in Cheers, wittering away as normal. TSE is polishing the glasses and rolling his eyes at @HYUFD, in the corner by the broken slot machine @Nigel_Foremain is bickering with @BartholomewRoberts, meanwhile @rcs1000 has just rolled out of the loos with cocaine on his moustache and is being teased by @Cyclefree, and @IshmaelZ is completely fucked off his tits AGAIN, but no one minds, and @CorrectHorseBattery is taking notes

@Theuniondivvie is in the corner talking to himself about indyref, with a tartan lampshade over his head

It's brilliant

Just to say bravo for the image of a broken slot machine.

We put in our fifty pee, pull the handle and nothing happens.

Doesn't stop us having another go, because this time, we'll definitely win.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I once went to the Cheers bar in Boston.

• Options

Leon said:

It's brilliant

Yes, the deeper you go, the more pertinent the comparison becomes. Sadly, local pubs full of regulars you know well are becoming rare. I've only had one real local in my adult, post Uni life - as in a place I could walk in and guarantee to find friends drinking at the bar. It was fabulous. Deeply reassuring. And it lasted about3 years (it was The Dolphin near Red Lion Square in Holborn)

These days my friends are dispersed around London, UK, Europe, the world and I love them, but I can't guarantee to walk in any bar and find them, not at all. It has to be arranged

That's fine, that's normal. But I can push the battered old door to PB and here you all are. So maybe this is an archetype which the internet is reinventing
  • Options
    Leon said:

If some of you guys died, I think I'd actually miss you, perhaps more than I'd miss some of my actual flesh and blood friends (not the close friends, but the lesser more peripheral friends, yes maybe)

This is surely also a new thing in human society. Getting attached to people you have never met

Christ, I am starting to well up.

Pass me a tissue Jeeves.

• Options

Leon said:

Pass me a tissue Jeeves.

lol. I'm at the Norm-in-Cheers stage of drunken sentimentality. I promise to be bitter and cynical again, tomorrow
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,192
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Yes sure, love, but this is not one of those on the one hand, on the other, issues, is it? If you want to deny abortion to underage rape victims, I rate you morally lower than the paedophile. Not kidding. And so does everyone else.

It's your delusion that you are in some way following the teaching of Christ which perplexes me. As I have had to point out before I have actually read the new testament and you haven't, the best you can manage is one of the catchpenny Latin or worse still modern vernacular versions. I don't think I know very much about Him but it is abundantly clear to me that he was an active homosexual and a user of psychedelic drugs. You should imitate Him.
    Given @HYUFD’s record, if Christ resigned and was replaced by Muhammad, he would immediately become a staunch Muslim.
    Ahahahaha

Sorry @HYUFD - that's funny
    "Muslims respect Jesus as a prophet." I think would be the first @HYUFD post following such an event.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

That may sound funny to you. Not to me. The twats who flew those planes into those towers were firmly in the judeo Christian tradition. 3000 people burning to death funny to you?
    Actually they were in the jihadi Islam tradition. They may have belonged to an Abrahamic religion but they were certainly not Judeo Christian
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pass me a tissue Jeeves.

lol. I'm at the Norm-in-Cheers stage of drunken sentimentality. I promise to be bitter and cynical again, tomorrow
    I have been working my way through the Cheers boxset, digitally. Forty years later, they can still get away with £20 per season on iTunes. Some show.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Actually they were in the jihadi Islam tradition. They may have belonged to an Abrahamic religion but they were certainly not Judeo Christian
    I think you would fit in well into the Free Presbyterian Church.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,141
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Just a bewildered audience?
  • Options

Leon said:

Pass me a tissue Jeeves.

I shall ask the second butler to ring down to the servants hall for
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Sounds quite normal for a major religion. Mass slaughter, that is.

For the Aztecs that’s Tuesday….
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Leon said:

It's brilliant

For the record, there is genuinely nothing more tedious than cocaine, and I'm genuinely insulted you would accuse me of using it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Too open minded, probably.

The Wee Free as viewed by @HYUFD, that is
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I once went to the Cheers bar in Boston.

Did everybody know your name?
  • Options
    Tory MP husband of Test and Trace chief Dido Harding linked to anti-NHS group
    EXCLUSIVE: Tory MP and former minister John Penrose has joined the advisory board of 1828, which calls for the NHS to be replaced by an insurance system and for Public Health England to be scrapped

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-husband-test-trace-chief-22128892
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pass me a tissue Jeeves.

Let's hope so or we will have to stage an intervention.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It's brilliant

For the record, there is genuinely nothing more tedious than cocaine, and I'm genuinely insulted you would accuse me of using it.
    If only we knew who @Leon was you could sue.
  • Options
    Is anyone here normal enough to be Sam Malone?

Diane matures into Cyclefree, obvs.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It's brilliant

Yes, the deeper you go, the more pertinent the comparison becomes. Sadly, local pubs full of regulars you know well are becoming rare. I've only had one real local in my adult, post Uni life - as in a place I could walk in and guarantee to find friends drinking at the bar. It was fabulous. Deeply reassuring. And it lasted about3 years (it was The Dolphin near Red Lion Square in Holborn)

These days my friends are dispersed around London, UK, Europe, the world and I love them, but I can't guarantee to walk in any bar and find them, not at all. It has to be arranged

That's fine, that's normal. But I can push the battered old door to PB and here you all are. So maybe this is an archetype which the internet is reinventing
    It can work both ways though. My local micropub has a regular who is there all the time it is open and he is such an annoying cock that I think it actively works against the business.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just a bewildered audience?
    Has there ever been a PB census? Various subreddits/other blogs have done it.

Would be useful to see how representative posters + lurkers are. I reckon there are a a few uni students who got caught by the chance of free money and have stayed for the interesting chat (including me).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,566
    Leon said:

True.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Interestingly, for PB, the opening credits of the series include a photo reference to one of the great political upsets/polling fuck ups of all time.

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    CatMan said:

According to Wikipedia she identifies as a Christian
    yes Ms Truss is a God fearing Christian so not sure where this atheist idea comes along from?
  • Options
    Sherelle Jacobs in the Telegraph.

"Put simply, the emperor has no clothes. The establishment simply has no message for voters in the face of hardship. The only vision for the future it can conjure up is net zero – a dystopian agenda that takes the sacrificial politics of austerity and financialisation of the world economy to new heights. Actively campaigning for boiler bans, 15mph speed limits, and speculative green bubbles may seem like madness. But it is a perfectly logical programme for an elite that has become unhinged from the real world."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/01/catastrophic-energy-crisis-will-fuel-revolt-against-failed-elites/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Put simply, the emperor has no clothes. The establishment simply has no message for voters in the face of hardship. The only vision for the future it can conjure up is net zero – a dystopian agenda that takes the sacrificial politics of austerity and financialisation of the world economy to new heights. Actively campaigning for boiler bans, 15mph speed limits, and speculative green bubbles may seem like madness. But it is a perfectly logical programme for an elite that has become unhinged from the real world."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/01/catastrophic-energy-crisis-will-fuel-revolt-against-failed-elites/

I couldn't read past the non- paywalled first paragraph. Nonetheless I read enough to know she was writing absolute bollocks.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Andy_JS said:

I couldn't read past the non- paywalled first paragraph. Nonetheless I read enough to know she was writing absolute bollocks.
    You had to click on the link?

The Telegraph hasn’t published an article worth reading since the Clinton Administration.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph hasn’t published an article worth reading since the Clinton Administration.
    To be fair, they were the ones who broke the MP Expenses Scandal. Not sure they've done anything since then mind you.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    @JamesEvansMS
    At the start of the Leadership contest I was backing Rishi but as this has gone on there is only one person to unite the country and the party and that is Liz Truss! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

https://twitter.com/jamesevansms/status/1554930200923832321
  • Options

carnforth said:

Interestingly, for PB, the opening credits of the series include a photo reference to one of the great political upsets/polling fuck ups of all time.

"Dewey Defeats Truman" - Chicago Tribune, Nov 3, 1948

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Defeats_Truman
  • Options

carnforth said:

"Dewey Defeats Truman" - Chicago Tribune, Nov 3, 1948

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Defeats_Truman
    Also...

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It's brilliant

blimey was in there the other day as its nearest pub to the office on the rare occasion I have to go in....will look round suspiciously the next time
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

I find the statue of John Knox inside St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh somewhat jarring. Knox and his peers were like the Taliban. Time for an explanatory plaque explaining his context and the evils resulting from his actions might be in order.
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157

Leon said:

fpt

Can anyone explain what the Tory grassroots love so much about Boris? Thatcher I could understand. But Johnson only seems to care about Johnson. He didn't even really believe in Brexit and has shown no concern with protecting its legacy, just the continuance of his own time in office. He has lied repeatedly, including in parliament and appears hopelessly disorganised and incapable of getting stuff done. He received credit for 'getting Brexit done' although the situation patently isn't settled. The covid vaccines was hailed as a triumph but I doubt the Tory grassroots approved of all the restrictions, tax and spending. As for Ukraine he continued longstanding UK policy and is that really why they love him?

Just a thought but I understand that the average member is a southern, higher income man. Are these yuppies? The sort who may be on to their third marriage, been taken to the cleaners a couple of times and see something of Boris in themselves, empathising with a kindred spirit locked out of his own home and alienated from the family he provided for? Maybe it's just a silly indulgence.

Happy to be proven wrong.

No, that's over-complicated nonsense, sorry

Two things:

1. He is a proven winner

2. He cheers them up and makes them laugh

That's it
    Yes, but no-one seems to have told them that he is actually now a loser, and he might make them laugh but he is actually a joke that the world laughs at, not with.

The sad reality is that the Conservative Party membership is now full of swivel-eyed fruitcakes and low achievers. They are extremely gullible, so it is one thing, and one thing only:

They are collectively thick as planks.
    You are wrong when you say that Boris is "a joke that the world laughs at".

The world (excluding the UK) is perfectly Ok with Johnson. The Ukrainians, in fact, were extremely upset that Johnson had been removed because they see him as staunchly on their side.

Otherwise, if you look at videos of things like the G7 meeting etc, none of the other Western world leaders have any obvious problems with him, and he seems to have a very good relationship with some leaders like Erdogan.
  • Options
    vik said:

Leon said:

fpt

Can anyone explain what the Tory grassroots love so much about Boris? Thatcher I could understand. But Johnson only seems to care about Johnson. He didn't even really believe in Brexit and has shown no concern with protecting its legacy, just the continuance of his own time in office. He has lied repeatedly, including in parliament and appears hopelessly disorganised and incapable of getting stuff done. He received credit for 'getting Brexit done' although the situation patently isn't settled. The covid vaccines was hailed as a triumph but I doubt the Tory grassroots approved of all the restrictions, tax and spending. As for Ukraine he continued longstanding UK policy and is that really why they love him?

Just a thought but I understand that the average member is a southern, higher income man. Are these yuppies? The sort who may be on to their third marriage, been taken to the cleaners a couple of times and see something of Boris in themselves, empathising with a kindred spirit locked out of his own home and alienated from the family he provided for? Maybe it's just a silly indulgence.

No, that's over-complicated nonsense, sorry

Two things:

1. He is a proven winner

2. He cheers them up and makes them laugh

That's it
    Yes, but no-one seems to have told them that he is actually now a loser, and he might make them laugh but he is actually a joke that the world laughs at, not with.

The sad reality is that the Conservative Party membership is now full of swivel-eyed fruitcakes and low achievers. They are extremely gullible, so it is one thing, and one thing only:

They are collectively thick as planks.
    You are wrong when you say that Boris is "a joke that the world laughs at".

The world (excluding the UK) is perfectly Ok with Johnson. The Ukrainians, in fact, were extremely upset that Johnson had been removed because they see him as staunchly on their side.

Otherwise, if you look at videos of things like the G7 meeting etc, none of the other Western world leaders have any obvious problems with him, and he seems to have a very good relationship with some leaders like Erdogan.
    Johnson and Erdoğan. Makes you proud.
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    rcs1000 said:

@Jim_Miller

On the subject of abortion, and Kansas, there are a couple of interesting conclusions:

1. Abortion choice supporters aren't simply low motivation Dems. If they were, they would have voted in the Dem primaries yesterday.

2. On the other hand, they are willing to go out and vote. "No" got comfortably more votes (in absolute terms) that the winning Gubernatorial candidate last time around. Which is absolutely astonishing, considering this was just primary day, and not November.

3. If abortion goes to ballot propositions, then the Dems don't really benefit... But will they benefit, if it is explicitly in the hands of elected representatives, and that means voting Democrat?

4. It has long been argued that anti abortion group is the more motivated one. I think that assumption is now looking incorrect.

5. It has also been argued that "do you think of yourself as pro Choice or pro life?" is a good proxy for support. That has turned out not to be the case.

6. The Kansas referendum was not framed (by those supporting the amendment) as a ban on abortions, only as allowing the State legislature to make abortion law. The residents of Kansas have voted (overwhelmingly) to not restrict abortion access further. Or perhaps, they considered the risk of a total ban as being too great.

Only a limited number of states have ballot propositions. But there are some where abortion is basically illegal (like Idaho), where it is possible, and where attitudes are generally pro legalized abortion.

This could be a very interesting November.

Regarding point # 3, the battle for abortion rights & restrictions will also move to the Federal arena. The Democrats have already put a Senate bill forward to codify Roe (two Republicans, Collins & Murkowski have pledged to support it). While the bill will inevitably be defeated, it will allow the Democrats to hold the No votes of Republican senators against them in the November elections.

The US conservative blogger Allahpundit has also argued that abortion opponents will now focus on pressuring Republicans to enact a nationwide abortion ban. This because citizens of Red states can easily go to Blue states to obtain abortions and also obtain abortion medication through mail order. The result will be that there won't be a meaningful reduction in the actual number of abortions unless it is banned nationwide.

Overall, the US is against a total ban on abortion. Hence, it might be possible that Democrats benefit substantially in the battle for Congress & Senate, if abortion supporters vote Democrat to prevent the chances of a Republican Congress & Senate enacting a nationwide ban.
  • Options

fpt

He won a general election with an 80 seat majority.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,021
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

We hope.
    Hoe can we be sure?
    FWIW I hear an interview with an Irish politician the other day complaining that illegal immigration into Ireland had gone up and blaming the UKs policy on Rwanda.

No idea of the facts, but interesting it’s credible that he could blame it

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Isn’t someone who doesn’t believe in God an agnostic.

An atheist believes in no God

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,956
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

One has an absence of belief, the other has a belief of absence.
    I quite like the idea of God. I'd love Her to be real, and I understand how belief could be a relief and joy to some people. I often pray, particularly after hearing about traumatic events - but I understand that's only a mental comfort, a coping mechanism for events I cannot alter.

But if She is real; then she is a sh*t. I don't care what theological excuses are used; if the God in the New and Old Testaments is real, then She is not worthy to be worshipped. And the priests who pretend to follow Her word often pervert any goodness even further.

So I think I'm definitely in the 'agnostic' camp, but quite a negative one towards most established religions.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    I think after Javid, Tugendhat and Mordaunt endorsements it's likely Truss now commands a majority of MP support.
  • Options

I think after Javid, Tugendhat and Mordaunt endorsements it's likely Truss now commands a majority of MP support.

Yeah, I cannot see Sunak winning. What a poor choice the members have.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It's brilliant

I'm genuinely insulted I wasn't cited as a regular.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Given the visceral reaction to the putative Cabinet leaked by Harry Cole, am I the only one who’s stopped and considered exactly who has been doing the leaking? Sounds a lot like a dirty tricks campaign by Team Rishi to me. Hopefully I am not disappointed.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/62416489

“A family involved in the horror cycling crash during the Commonwealth Games say they came "close to a complete catastrophe" that could have "seriously injured or killed" their two young children.”

Also

“Contrary to an early statement from the organisers that no members of the public required hospital treatment, a friend who attended the event with the Colvins is awaiting surgery for a serious arm injury.”

tl;dr: The organisers seriously messed up.
  • Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the following is quite a horrific account of what it is like for Russian soldiers on the frontline in the Donbass:
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1553833316578631681.html

Might not be wholly true, but it's certainly powerful.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited August 2022
    I hope this transfer happens, if it does I may become a Forest fan because this footballer is the best named footballer in history.

Nottingham Forest are trying to sign Dutch striker Jizz Hornkamp as part of their extensive recruitment programme for their return to the Premier League.

Hornkamp, a 24-year-old forward at Willem II, would become Forest’s 13th signing of the summer if a deal can be agreed between the two clubs.

Forest have already strengthened their forward line this summer with the club-record signing of Taiwo Awoniyi for £17.5million from Union Ber

https://theathletic.com/3475787/2022/08/03/nottingham-forest-jizz-hornkamp-transfer/

Williams crosses the ball into the box and Jizz is coming.
  • Options

I hope this transfer happens, if it does I may become a Forest fan because this footballer is the best named footballer in history.

Nottingham Forest are trying to sign Dutch striker Jizz Hornkamp as part of their extensive recruitment programme for their return to the Premier League.

Hornkamp, a 24-year-old forward at Willem II, would become Forest’s 13th signing of the summer if a deal can be agreed between the two clubs.

Forest have already strengthened their forward line this summer with the club-record signing of Taiwo Awoniyi for £17.5million from Union Ber

https://theathletic.com/3475787/2022/08/03/nottingham-forest-jizz-hornkamp-transfer/

Jizz sprays it across the midfield.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139

Forest's signings have been very strong this summer, when looked at as a whole. Given Cooper's proven ability to forge a load of individuals into an actual team, I'm optimistic that they will outperform expectations.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

CatMan said:

According to Wikipedia she identifies as a Christian
    yes Ms Truss is a God fearing Christian so not sure where this atheist idea comes along from?
    Nor do I. Every time I see nad and hear her my eyes go up and the exclamation "Jesus" escapes my mouth.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited August 2022
    moonshine said:

Jizz will have Forest fans creaming themselves.

I can see a few fans getting Jizz on their shirts.

He's a very exciting signing who I’m sure comes with a lot of end product and will really explode at the climax of the season.

Forest fans are hoping they pull this one off as this is one transfer guaranteed to provide a happy ending
  • Options
    edited August 2022

moonshine said:

He's a very exciting signing who I’m sure comes with a lot of end product and will really explode at the climax of the season.
    Jizz is dribbling into the box

• Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Jizz is dribbling into the box

Or dribbles out of the box
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Morning all!

We are in the silly season aren't we!

And I don't just been the Conservative leadership election! Incidentally, why is that taking a month? Asking for somebody to try and figure it!

• Options
    CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

To be fair, they were the ones who broke the MP Expenses Scandal. Not sure they've done anything since then mind you.
    That was a partisan story, at least to start with, as they broke the Labour misdeeds before the Conservative ones. The story was broken in stages to maximise Labour and minimise Conservative ramifications. It pretty much became a Labour scandal, duck houses not withstanding.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

That was a partisan story, at least to start with, as they broke the Labour misdeeds before the Conservative ones. The story was broken in stages to maximise Labour and minimise Conservative ramifications. It pretty much became a Labour scandal, duck houses not withstanding.
    That's not the way I remember it. It was also a Labour government at the time, with far more Labour MPs. And lots of Conservatives were caught out as well - some fairly, some unfairly on both sides of the aisle.
  • Options
    Would TSE vote for Truss if following on from Mordaunt’s “cock” address to Parliament, Truss talked about Jizz in the next hustings?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,592

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

Darkies Black, Indigenous, and people of colour.
    If you know of a better term, now we have abandoned "BAME", do please tell
    Given that white people are indigenous to Britain, doesn't that description just cover everyone?
    The first people in Britain were black: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/first-modern-britons-dark-black-skin-cheddar-man-dna-analysis-reveals (Well, unless we start getting into Neanderthals.) But, yes, BIPOC is not a term that translates to Europe well.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

That's not the way I remember it. It was also a Labour government at the time, with far more Labour MPs. And lots of Conservatives were caught out as well - some fairly, some unfairly on both sides of the aisle.
    You didn't read what I said. Perhaps I should have been clearer. The Telegraph engineered the release of the story to damage the Labour Government more than the Conservative Opposition.

One could argue that in the grand scheme of things, as Labour MPs wound up with custodial sentences their breaches were worse anyway. Although there was one incident of a married couple whose case seemed wholly and disproportionately inappropriate, and yet it never made it to court.

I reiterate, my point was how the Telegraph staged their expose.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It's brilliant

Endearing post, and quite true. An agreeable always-available space with familiar figures is hard to beat as a valuable part of life. The moderators do a good job in keeping us more or less civil and there's an element of self-restraint too which makes PB stand out from some of the wilder fringes of the internet.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I quite like the idea of God. I'd love Her to be real, and I understand how belief could be a relief and joy to some people. I often pray, particularly after hearing about traumatic events - but I understand that's only a mental comfort, a coping mechanism for events I cannot alter.

But if She is real; then she is a sh*t...
    Why the certainty about gender - surely god's pronouns are They/Them ? How else would one refer to the Trinity ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183

CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

Wasn't there one Tory MP who repaid 19p for a bath plug? Plus Cheryl Gillan had to pay a fiver for two cans of dog food?

But I also seem to remember all the actual MPs who ended up in the dock were Labour. The two Tories who were arraigned were peers.
  • Options
    JameiJamei Posts: 50
    I'm going to vote Truss. I was going to vote Sunak, but the succession of desperate announcements he's come out with has negated any advantage he had (i.e. he's no longer the slightly more moderate, sensible, consistent candidate)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sinema is doing it, she's going to tank the Reconciliation bill and blow up Dem chances in the mid terms. Truly astonishing. At this point you mist assume she isn't planning to run when her term is up as she's gonna get Primaried so hard if she does run.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1554934155355504641?t=Y5Q3Ih4GfEcEjqVXQSo0DQ&s=09
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why the certainty about gender - surely god's pronouns are They/Them ? How else would one refer to the Trinity ?
    Wasn't Trinity a rather large explosion in New Mexico in 1945?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,195
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'd like to think that God wouldn't be too bothered about pronouns, but when someone claims the power of smiting over you, how confident would you be?

Anyway, Wuthering Heights. What an unremittingly grim story.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

You didn't read what I said. Perhaps I should have been clearer. The Telegraph engineered the release of the story to damage the Labour Government more than the Conservative Opposition.

One could argue that in the grand scheme of things, as Labour MPs wound up with custodial sentences their breaches were worse anyway. Although there was one incident of a married couple whose case seemed wholly and disproportionately inappropriate, and yet it never made it to court.

I reiterate, my point was how the Telegraph staged their expose.
    I did read what you said, and I still disagree with it. ;)

Think about it logically: there was a Labour government. You want headlines, so you go after the big names first - and there will be more of them in government than in opposition. From the Telegraph's POV, that was the important fact. If they'd get bigger stories from releasing the opposition's bad stories first, they would have done so.

It's also a hilarious claim given (say) the Guardian's sick approach to Wikileaks.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

Wasn't there one Tory MP who repaid 19p for a bath plug? Plus Cheryl Gillan had to pay a fiver for two cans of dog food?

But I also seem to remember all the actual MPs who ended up in the dock were Labour. The two Tories who were arraigned were peers.
    On your second paragraph, yes those being served porridge were indeed from the red side. I mentioned a particular breach which I didn't detail in order not to make the lawyers nervous. The people in question were personal friends of Cameron and on reading what went on, I was shocked, absolutely shocked, that one or other of them didn't wind up in front of twelve good men.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wasn't Trinity a rather large explosion in New Mexico in 1945?
    It was.
    Though as Oppenheimer reportedly picked the name from a Donne poem, it's the same Trinity.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    "The first people in Britain were black."

I'm surprised you're so sure. A sample where n =1 might be scientific proof for the Guardian, but not for scientists.

I'd assume that the Vitamin D - folate theory on the cause of epidermal melanin content would suggest that an influx of Southern people would be darker, and vice versa for Northern Immigrants.

Sunlight increases vitamin D, but degrades folate.
This discussion has been closed.