Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s making a big mistake on the Women’s soccer team – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited August 2022
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Nick Clegg joins clique of Meta bosses switching to London

https:/Yes, is back, part time…

Clegg is back, and London is back!

From that thread of articles:

"Hoberman said: “They also move because they see the US so fractionalised. As San Francisco loses its density [of tech headquarters], there’s a chance for London to be the global leader.”"

This is absolutely true. Why step over homeless addict in SF when you can be in glorious sunny London? In King's X? With no threat of Trump? And two hours from all of Europe?
    I saw recently that parts of East London have taken over SF for density of tech startups. Kings cross looks like the choice for established tech so will be another huge draw for startups looking for global locations. I know one SAAS company which is currently HQ'd in SF that's considering moving operationally to London from there and leaving behind a small outpost of sales people in NYC. That's the other one that's coming for SF, operational excellence in development by being based in London and sales/GTM based on the East Coast of the US either in NYC or Miami. It's such a better set of timezones. SF used to have the advantage of crossover with APAC countries but with the ease of remote work and setting up remote workers on a single payroll tech companies are choosing to hire locally in Singapore, Melbourne and Wellington.
    FPT

Yes, and more: as NYC sinks into crime, and is menaced by deeper political division, a lot of business in NYC will come here. Remote working suddenly benefits the UK

Really. Why would you work in NYC or LA or SF if you can work in London?

NYC is a truly great city and LA is jolly interesting and SF has a certain beauty, but they have grave downsides, and they are all trillions of miles from anywhere else

Fly two hours from NYC and you are in, er, Toronto

Compare that with London, when in 2 hours or less you can be in Paris, Venice, Berlin, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Rome, Florence, Edinburgh, Nice... and the Alps, the Balearics, Sicily, western Ireland, Burgundy, the Algarve, the Black Forest, the Dordogne, the Italian lakes, the Dolomites, Tyrol,...

There is no comparison. If your job is no longer quite so tied to the Silicon Valley office, you will move to London
    NYC makes sense for a lot of reasons despite the crime (and it's nowhere near as bad as SF) it's got the 2pm-6pm crossover with London, there's already quite a few companies in the area, it's bigger and better connected than SF (which means people have the option of living in NJ and commuting in) and it's only 7h on a cheap business class flight from London for business meetings. For tech startups there's also a fuckton of potential clients on the doorstep in NYC because there's so many financial services companies looking to cut costs. The City is one of the reasons tech has thrived in London, its clients and financing for startups.
    NYC is unquestionably a magnificent city (as I said in my earlier comment), but so is London. And the downsides of NYC - crime, racial tension, MAGA-Trump, divided country, healthcare, opiates, guns - now seem to me to outweigh the downsides of London: weather, greyness, grotty areas

Both are English-speaking world cities with glorious culture, London has more history, New York City has that skyline

The proximity of the rest of Europe might be the clincher for me, if I was a highly paid tech exec. And where do you want your kids to grow up? Safely?

But of course I am biased

I think we will see more American execs choosing London on a quasi-WFH basis. It will be a complex and remarkable irony if post-Brexit London ascends to world capital status (again?)..... because it is in Europe

Yes, that's why I think London is a good shout for operational and potentially tax HQ. My point on NYC is more in relation to having the sales function for NA run out of there rather than SF because it has significantly better crossover with London and it's only a 7h flight for when seniors and execs need face to face meetings.

The London/NYC split works brilliantly for financial services, it being replicated for tech would be no surprise.

The last piece of the puzzle is higher risk funds in London willing to invest hundreds of millions for series D onwards.
    Yes, I concur

Finance/sales stuff might stay in NYC but a lot of intellectual/HQ heft will move to London

Add in the boost from Hong Kong and - perhaps unexpectedly - London could really thrive in the next decade

I wonder if this is what I sensed in King's X yesterday. Essentially they are - wittingly or not - creating a Silicon Valley in an amazing new London neighborhood, but with added universities and science institutes and art galleries and biochemistry labs and the British Library and the rest, and all of it 300m from St Pancras and the eurostar, and half an hour from Heathrow via the Liz Line, with Shoreditch and the Silicon roundabout just down the road

It is completely unique. London - esp King's X - has the chance to be THE tech hub for the world, or at least the western world

If I was the head of Instagram, I'd move from California to King's Cross (never thought I'd write that). Just to see

Kings Cross? Would you like to know about living there in the before times? Of COURSE you would...

I moved to that London in July 1999. I had graduated with a Journalism Degree in summer 1998 already working in radio on various short term contracts. By late spring 1999 there was a gap, and I was a bit fed up with the GF I was living with. So moved to London to find a job.

Which I did in 7 working days. Literally. Arrived Sunday. Agency interviews Monday, job interviews later that week, a 2nd interview the following Monday and started working for Nature the science journal straight away.

Their office is on Crinan Street, the north end of KX station with the canal basin behind. So I rented a 1 bed mini bedsit at the top of Grays Inn Road and started work. Kings Cross at the time was home to only one thriving industry - hookers. I was propositioned at 8am one morning crossing the road by the station on the way to work! There was so little in the way of facilities in Kings Cross that the company had a free canteen for its employees - there literally being nothing available in the vicinity.

At the top of Crinan Street was a pub which had been an old canal warehouse - now demolished and the site of Guardian Newspapers building. And a wine bar on Balfe Street. Aside from the Flying Scotsman fight bar on Caledonian Road, that was it.

The transformation in 20 years is literally mindblowing.
    I remember that! Went to see someone in that office a few years earlier, perhaps 1992-3, when it was still very new. I did wince when I turned out of KX and saw the ambience of that street, and I was glad to be getting back to the train while it was still daylight.
    In those days there was a ramp off the end of platform 1 out onto York Road. So you could exit the station, cross the street and be into the Nature building inside 30 seconds. Barely time to wave at Clive Sinclair in his penthouse...
    I need to go back and explore the KX/StP area properly when I next visit my Camden friend; so much change there, including StP itself which was still very much its original state when I knew it, as described in Jack Simmons's history; didn't have time to more than pay homage to Hardy at the eponymous church, and to register the degree of change when passing through it in recent years, which needed a new edition of the history.
    You can spend a whole day there, pretty much

Explore the new urbanism, check out the art galleries, see St Martin's, go to a movie or a play or a concert in one of the venues, have lunch or dinner (or both) in one of about 40 restaurants. Walk around Camley Street Wildpark, stroll along the Regent's Canal to Camden and Primrose Hill and back, go to the British Library, and more

All in that one district. Surrounded by industrial history Vs the new Google HQ. Fab
    Mm, that's an idea - the canal walk in particular, especially as my chum lives in Camden.

This reminds me I got hold of this paper some years back for him - archaeological dig. No idea if it is of interest but he was very taken with it.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332047927_The_Lock-Keepers_of_Hawley's_Lock_Regent's_Canal_Camden
    Fascinating

I had a little historical frisson yesterday. The HS2 guys are digging right outside my front door. I had a chat with one of them, a nice guy, and seriously Irish

And it occurred to me that this was a superb echo of when the very first railways were built, when Irish navvies would have worked in the exact same spot, then gone off to drink in the Dublin Castle (hence its name)

They would have worked by the houses in this famous print, middle right. One of these houses, as it happens, being the house where I now live

There's a quite good Melvin Bragg thing (possibly an In Our Time) about the first railways to come out of London. Broad arch of the story is that it was too expensive to roll them through the already posh parts, so they ploughed them through the slums. Middle-class people from the posh parts who could afford the newfangled trains were then exposed to the slums in ways they hadn't been before and lo-and-behold huge reforms began.
    London's first ever passenger railway? Deptford to Spa Road (1836). Spa Road is closed, but Deptford still exists!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,531
    Taz said:

EPG said:

For actual tracks that people bought the only one that comes to mind is Olivia Newton John and ELO doing "Xanadu".

Although not starting with an ‘X’ The Legend of Xanadu by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich is an absolute belter.
    I enjoy Young Adults’ “Kubla Khan” for a Xanadu song: https://youtu.be/Wrrl6qcPKtI

• Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

WASPI woman asking a question to Rishi. I’ll back him if he tells her to do one.

EDIT: He did! As politely as possible, of course.

The Waspi women question would have been better directed to Liz Truss, who would not have to defend her own record.
    Would Truss have given her the time of day? I guess the rest of the audience thought the woman asking the question was an idiot.
    What was the question?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

"Hoberman said: “They also move because they see the US so fractionalised. As San Francisco loses its density [of tech headquarters], there’s a chance for London to be the global leader.”"

This is absolutely true. Why step over homeless addict in SF when you can be in glorious sunny London? In King's X? With no threat of Trump? And two hours from all of Europe?
    I saw recently that parts of East London have taken over SF for density of tech startups. Kings cross looks like the choice for established tech so will be another huge draw for startups looking for global locations. I know one SAAS company which is currently HQ'd in SF that's considering moving operationally to London from there and leaving behind a small outpost of sales people in NYC. That's the other one that's coming for SF, operational excellence in development by being based in London and sales/GTM based on the East Coast of the US either in NYC or Miami. It's such a better set of timezones. SF used to have the advantage of crossover with APAC countries but with the ease of remote work and setting up remote workers on a single payroll tech companies are choosing to hire locally in Singapore, Melbourne and Wellington.
    FPT

Yes, and more: as NYC sinks into crime, and is menaced by deeper political division, a lot of business in NYC will come here. Remote working suddenly benefits the UK

NYC is a truly great city and LA is jolly interesting and SF has a certain beauty, but they have grave downsides, and they are all trillions of miles from anywhere else

Compare that with London, when in 2 hours or less you can be in Paris, Venice, Berlin, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Rome, Florence, Edinburgh, Nice... and the Alps, the Balearics, Sicily, western Ireland, Burgundy, the Algarve, the Black Forest, the Dordogne, the Italian lakes, the Dolomites, Tyrol,...

There is no comparison. If your job is no longer quite so tied to the Silicon Valley office, you will move to London
    NYC makes sense for a lot of reasons despite the crime (and it's nowhere near as bad as SF) it's got the 2pm-6pm crossover with London, there's already quite a few companies in the area, it's bigger and better connected than SF (which means people have the option of living in NJ and commuting in) and it's only 7h on a cheap business class flight from London for business meetings. For tech startups there's also a fuckton of potential clients on the doorstep in NYC because there's so many financial services companies looking to cut costs. The City is one of the reasons tech has thrived in London, its clients and financing for startups.
    NYC is unquestionably a magnificent city (as I said in my earlier comment), but so is London. And the downsides of NYC - crime, racial tension, MAGA-Trump, divided country, healthcare, opiates, guns - now seem to me to outweigh the downsides of London: weather, greyness, grotty areas

Both are English-speaking world cities with glorious culture, London has more history, New York City has that skyline

The proximity of the rest of Europe might be the clincher for me, if I was a highly paid tech exec. And where do you want your kids to grow up? Safely?

I think we will see more American execs choosing London on a quasi-WFH basis. It will be a complex and remarkable irony if post-Brexit London ascends to world capital status (again?)..... because it is in Europe

Yes, that's why I think London is a good shout for operational and potentially tax HQ. My point on NYC is more in relation to having the sales function for NA run out of there rather than SF because it has significantly better crossover with London and it's only a 7h flight for when seniors and execs need face to face meetings.

The London/NYC split works brilliantly for financial services, it being replicated for tech would be no surprise.

The last piece of the puzzle is higher risk funds in London willing to invest hundreds of millions for series D onwards.
    Yes, I concur

Finance/sales stuff might stay in NYC but a lot of intellectual/HQ heft will move to London

Add in the boost from Hong Kong and - perhaps unexpectedly - London could really thrive in the next decade

I wonder if this is what I sensed in King's X yesterday. Essentially they are - wittingly or not - creating a Silicon Valley in an amazing new London neighborhood, but with added universities and science institutes and art galleries and biochemistry labs and the British Library and the rest, and all of it 300m from St Pancras and the eurostar, and half an hour from Heathrow via the Liz Line, with Shoreditch and the Silicon roundabout just down the road

It is completely unique. London - esp King's X - has the chance to be THE tech hub for the world, or at least the western world

If I was the head of Instagram, I'd move from California to King's Cross (never thought I'd write that). Just to see

Kings Cross? Would you like to know about living there in the before times? Of COURSE you would...

I moved to that London in July 1999. I had graduated with a Journalism Degree in summer 1998 already working in radio on various short term contracts. By late spring 1999 there was a gap, and I was a bit fed up with the GF I was living with. So moved to London to find a job.

Which I did in 7 working days. Literally. Arrived Sunday. Agency interviews Monday, job interviews later that week, a 2nd interview the following Monday and started working for Nature the science journal straight away.

Their office is on Crinan Street, the north end of KX station with the canal basin behind. So I rented a 1 bed mini bedsit at the top of Grays Inn Road and started work. Kings Cross at the time was home to only one thriving industry - hookers. I was propositioned at 8am one morning crossing the road by the station on the way to work! There was so little in the way of facilities in Kings Cross that the company had a free canteen for its employees - there literally being nothing available in the vicinity.

At the top of Crinan Street was a pub which had been an old canal warehouse - now demolished and the site of Guardian Newspapers building. And a wine bar on Balfe Street. Aside from the Flying Scotsman fight bar on Caledonian Road, that was it.

I remember that! Went to see someone in that office a few years earlier, perhaps 1992-3, when it was still very new. I did wince when I turned out of KX and saw the ambience of that street, and I was glad to be getting back to the train while it was still daylight.
    In those days there was a ramp off the end of platform 1 out onto York Road. So you could exit the station, cross the street and be into the Nature building inside 30 seconds. Barely time to wave at Clive Sinclair in his penthouse...
    I need to go back and explore the KX/StP area properly when I next visit my Camden friend; so much change there, including StP itself which was still very much its original state when I knew it, as described in Jack Simmons's history; didn't have time to more than pay homage to Hardy at the eponymous church, and to register the degree of change when passing through it in recent years, which needed a new edition of the history.

Explore the new urbanism, check out the art galleries, see St Martin's, go to a movie or a play or a concert in one of the venues, have lunch or dinner (or both) in one of about 40 restaurants. Walk around Camley Street Wildpark, stroll along the Regent's Canal to Camden and Primrose Hill and back, go to the British Library, and more

All in that one district. Surrounded by industrial history Vs the new Google HQ. Fab
    Mm, that's an idea - the canal walk in particular, especially as my chum lives in Camden.

This reminds me I got hold of this paper some years back for him - archaeological dig. No idea if it is of interest but he was very taken with it.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332047927_The_Lock-Keepers_of_Hawley's_Lock_Regent's_Canal_Camden
    Fascinating

I had a little historical frisson yesterday. The HS2 guys are digging right outside my front door. I had a chat with one of them, a nice guy, and seriously Irish

And it occurred to me that this was a superb echo of when the very first railways were built, when Irish navvies would have worked in the exact same spot, then gone off to drink in the Dublin Castle (hence its name)

They would have worked by the houses in this famous print, middle right. One of these houses, as it happens, being the house where I now live

There's a quite good Melvin Bragg thing (possibly an In Our Time) about the first railways to come out of London. Broad arch of the story is that it was too expensive to roll them through the already posh parts, so they ploughed them through the slums. Middle-class people from the posh parts who could afford the newfangled trains were then exposed to the slums in ways they hadn't been before and lo-and-behold huge reforms began.
    You got me looking for that In Our Time railway episode, which sounds fascinating.

I haven't found it (yet) but there are a mind-blowing 959 IOT episodes! Of which I've listened to about a dozen.

You have sorted out my podcast listening for the next few months. Thanks!
    ISTR there's one where one of the panelists accuses Bragg of racism! I think it was something about the industrial revolution. To their credit, they kept it in.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Omnium said:

If you want a bad day:

The village supermarket's petrol station got water into its fuel today, meaning many cars broke down. There are allegations it was known about last night, but the morning shift opened up as usual...

An expensive problem for Mozzies.

"Mozzies" ?
    Morrisons, the supermarket. A local lady in her 80s, very RP, called it 'Mozzies' like she's a yoof, and I decided to call it the same. :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

10k might be my favourite distance to watch.

It's certainly hard enough to run
    10k is a distance I can imagine actually running (obviously no where near as fast) and is long enough for a narrative to develop - to feel the psychology of the participants. The marathon, on the other hand, is incomprehensible to me. I couldn't imagine doing a marathon at anything above a walk.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20597426.liz-truss-team-backtracks-nicola-sturgeon-insult-tory-backlash/

'LIZ Truss’s campaign team has backtracked on the leadership hopeful’s claim that she’ll “ignore” Nicola Sturgeon after it sparked outrage among Scottish Tories and across the political spectrum.'

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20597860.truss-backtracks-sturgeon-comments-backlash/

(and remember Ms Truss had said that 'what we need to do is show the people of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales what we are delivering for them, and making sure that all of our government policies apply right across the United Kingdom.' Which means the abolition of devolution, and direct rule in NI, on one reading - it does not make sense otherwise. And is a rather silly mistake, which surprises me. Unless it was deliberate raw meat for the Tory oldies. )

However Truss still correctly makes clear she will not allow an indyref2
    As one of us said last night, don't you have a nice recording on side B that you could use just sometimes?

How about this? Some nice Deltic noises (appropriate for the KX parallel discussion of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvCwm_s3OA
    Pah. Deltics. Over-rated rubbish. Like racehorses, they lasted only twenty years before they were sent to the knacker's yard.

Some Class 37's are still going 60 years later without seeing the glue factory.
    Though, when they re-engined a German E-boat with Deltics, it became faster, longer range and more reliable.

Better than the legendary E Boat diesels…
    This is from memory, but ISTR reading that the problem is the engine cycle. On a boat, you run at a set power for very long periods, frequently hours - and as the Deltics were originally marine engines, that was what they were designed for. Loco engines have frequent power changes every few minutes, and this played havoc with them. The same with the original HST Ventura engines, where (I think) the frequent power changes would pull oil into the exhausts. If enough built up, you got an exhaust fire. It was also partly responsible for the famous clag when an HST started off.

Both the Deltic and Ventura were developments of engines designed for the Admiralty.
    At the pre war conference when the Americans standardised on the fleet subs, the point was made that a diesel electric boat always driven off the electric motors had the advantage that for sudden acceleration, you upped the battery drain, while bringing the diesels up to power more slowly….
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

10k might be my favourite distance to watch.

It's certainly hard enough to run
    10k is a distance I can imagine actually running (obviously no where near as fast) and is long enough for a narrative to develop - to feel the psychology of the participants. The marathon, on the other hand, is incomprehensible to me. I couldn't imagine doing a marathon at anything above a walk.
    Conversely i have run 3 but couldn't bear the thought of walking that distance.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,635
    edited August 2022

There must be some massive market for superhero and comic book films - which are essentially all the same - that just totally passes me by.

It seems dozens are released a year, and they must be popular, yet I haven't seen a single one and have no intention to.

Done right many of the best action movies are comic ones, though certainly the genre can contain its fair share of duds. So the real question surely is whether you like action movies or not? To say they're all essentially the same is like saying that Die Hard is the same as Highlander 2: The Quickening.

3 related reasons why superhero movies work so well:

1: A lot of movies are based on literature, and there's a wealth of stories written over the past 70-odd years of comics to base movies upon.

2: A wealth of fleshed out characters to build stories with.

3: A good action movie really needs a good villain. Die Hard without Hans Gruber would not be the same thing. In the past Hollywood might typically cast the British, Germans or Russians as a villain in a lot of films, but nowadays they are so politically correct that they try to avoid casting anyone as a villain that might offend markets they want to launch the product in. So real-world based movies have become increasingly bizarre at finding good villains. Corrupt businessmen seems to be the go-to nowadays which is hardly fun, or more realistic.

The last is possibly the most important. Comics have not just heroes, but possibly even more importantly a rich tapestry of a rogue's gallery to work with. Hollywood won't make a movie with the Chinese as villains, but with Thanos there's no need to hold back.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    This season's gimmick on The Hundred seems to be interviewing a fielder mid play. He's got a mic and an earpiece attached and occasionally has to run towards the ball mid answer.
  • Options

Betfair next prime minister
    1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    9.2 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    9.2 Rishi Sunak 11%

Action ahead of tonight's Welsh hustings:-

1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    12 Rishi Sunak 8%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%
    After the Cardiff hustings.

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited August 2022

There must be some massive market for superhero and comic book films - which are essentially all the same - that just totally passes me by.

It seems dozens are released a year, and they must be popular, yet I haven't seen a single one and have no intention to.

It helps that they are not all essentially the same.

Certainly many are formulaic - so are Pixar films, though the general quality is higher with those - and are marketed very similarly, but The Batman is nothing like X-Men 2 which is nothing like Thor: Love and Thunder, which itself is actually very little like the first Thor movie despite having the same lead and being in the same universe. The first Thor was playing everything very straight and comparitively understated in its action set pieces. The last one was an out and out comedy film with intentionally over the top visuals all the way through - one was about the lead finding humanity, the last all about cosmic deities (but for a subplot) .

'Comic book movies' are not really a genre, despite widespread reference to such. Some are more like spy thrillers, others are dark detective stories, others are pure comedic silliness, some have a moral message, and the quality is all over the place.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

FPT

Yes, I concur

Fascinating

You got me looking for that In Our Time railway episode, which sounds fascinating.

I haven't found it (yet) but there are a mind-blowing 959 IOT episodes! Of which I've listened to about a dozen.

IOT is truly a great series of interesting (depending on taste of course) podcasts. Ran into it about a month or so ago, and it's now my preferred bedtime listening.

Certainly compared to Alex Jones OR the My Pillow Putschist.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Just lost the debate on Sky News, searched around and wondered whether it was on GBNews. Dan Wooton claimed "no spin, no bias" before introducing industrial scale spin and bias.

No debate, but then it had been very dreary. Much happier flicking between by the Hundred and the Commonwealth Games, both on what Dan Wooton had called the "Britain Bashing Corporation".
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

FPT

Yes, I concur

Fascinating

It's a remarkable series. One of the gems of BBC radio.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    dixiedean said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

FPT

Yes, I concur

Fascinating

And many were made destitute and homeless. Compensation paid to landlords not tenants. Agar Town and Tomlin's New Town, north of Hyde Park, were totally demolished.
    56 000 people displaced in about a decade in London.
    The slums moved further out, and the centre became more gentrified.
    They quite possibly went into that too. It's been... urm... maybe 10 years since it was broadcast so I'm remembering it in rather broad strokes.

Somewhat related - Jonathan Meades very first TV series about house-building in Victorian London ('The Victorian House') is worth digging out. As is, in a rather different though applicable vein, the early Adam Curtis 'The Great British Housing Disaster'.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited August 2022
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

FPT

Yes, I concur

Fascinating

For some reason I don’t always put Melvyn in my top 10 greatest living Englishmen* (the luxuriant hair maybe?) but he should definitely be there.

*English person
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

This season's gimmick on The Hundred seems to be interviewing a fielder mid play. He's got a mic and an earpiece attached and occasionally has to run towards the ball mid answer.

I recall them doing something in the IPL one year I think. It was stupid then.

To my mind the positive gimmick of The Hundred was hgiving such prominence to the women's fixtures as well as the Men's. The rest was all too trivial a difference to even count as a gimmick.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    There is video of the Russian ammo train cooking off.
    https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1554915661062733824
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

FPT

Yes, I concur

Fascinating

Indeed.

• Options
    Alex Jones, the gift that keeps giving.

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1554903595258191872
    SCOOP from me and @swin24
    : January 6th committee is planning to request Alex Jones' text messages and emails from the Sandy Hook attorneys after his lawyer accidentally sent years worth of comms to the plaintiffs.
  • Options
    Child porn found in documents Alex Jones sent to lawyers of Sandy Hook families, court filing says
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/child-porn-found-documents-alex-jones-sent-sandy-hook-family-n1018541
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alex Jones, the gift that keeps giving.

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1554903595258191872
    SCOOP from me and @swin24
    : January 6th committee is planning to request Alex Jones' text messages and emails from the Sandy Hook attorneys after his lawyer accidentally sent years worth of comms to the plaintiffs.

alex jones’ lawyer

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1554922604619866112
  • Options
    I predict this is a picture I will use the most for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Nigelb said:

Child porn found in documents Alex Jones sent to lawyers of Sandy Hook families, court filing says
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/child-porn-found-documents-alex-jones-sent-sandy-hook-family-n1018541

It's almost impressive the way the useless c*** clearly has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.

I hope the judge gives him 24 consecutive 10 year terms, the trolls him by saying there can be a one-third remission for good conduct.
  • Options

Done right many of the best action movies are comic ones, though certainly the genre can contain its fair share of duds. So the real question surely is whether you like action movies or not? To say they're all essentially the same is like saying that Die Hard is the same as Highlander 2: The Quickening.

1: A lot of movies are based on literature, and there's a wealth of stories written over the past 70-odd years of comics to base movies upon.

3: A good action movie really needs a good villain. Die Hard without Hans Gruber would not be the same thing. In the past Hollywood might typically cast the British, Germans or Russians as a villain in a lot of films, but nowadays they are so politically correct that they try to avoid casting anyone as a villain that might offend markets they want to launch the product in. So real-world based movies have become increasingly bizarre at finding good villains. Corrupt businessmen seems to be the go-to nowadays which is hardly fun, or more realistic.

The last is possibly the most important. Comics have not just heroes, but possibly even more importantly a rich tapestry of a rogue's gallery to work with. Hollywood won't make a movie with the Chinese as villains, but with Thanos there's no need to hold back.
    Whilst there are the everpresent dangers of becoming too formulaic and bland, for me 'comic book movies' often work for the same reason fantasy and science fiction can work.

Sure there are typical tropes that people think of as being emblematic of all such works, but really you can tell any type of story you want - gritty, philosophical, silly, romantic, swashbuckling, whatever - and also add spaceships, magic, or dragons etc. It can be utterly realistic, but for a single fantastical element, or pure childish nonsense, whatever you want.

Like most people I had no idea Blade was a comic book character when I watched the 1998 Wesley Snipes movie, and there's nothing about it that would make it seem essentially like a prototypical marvel film today.
  • Options

I like to see her in a pure red outfit, just to troll people. Going in the Tory blue is just so expected.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Jim Sciutto
    @jimsciutto
    New: Fmr Trump deputy WH counsel Patrick Philbin has been subpoenaed in federal criminal probe of January 6 attack,
    @CNN
    reporting. Philbin worked in the White House counsel’s office under Pat Cipollone, who was also subpoenaed
  • Options

She's talking about moving her whips into Downing Street?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    9.2 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    9.2 Rishi Sunak 11%

Action ahead of tonight's Welsh hustings:-

1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    12 Rishi Sunak 8%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%
    After the Cardiff hustings.

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%
    Hopefully Rishi will now drift back into 8-1 for no good reason at all.
  • Options
    @Leon 's Kari Lake in race that is too close to call at moment says NY Times.
  • Options

We're alright!!!!!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

She's talking about moving her whips into Downing Street?
    More a watching leopards eat Rishi's face sort of look
  • Options
    Come back kid - IDS tipped for Cabinet return as Truss’s chief whip if she wins…

Kwateng to No11, Patel to Party Chairman, Braverman to Home, Clarke to Biz.

Cleverly to Foreign, Bandenoch to Education as Mordaunt eyes DCMS.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1554927976680198144

I am done with the Tory Party if Suella Braverman is made Home Secretary.
  • Options
    Lol.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kle4 said:

RH1992 said:

I recall them doing something in the IPL one year I think. It was stupid then.

To my mind the positive gimmick of The Hundred was hgiving such prominence to the women's fixtures as well as the Men's. The rest was all too trivial a difference to even count as a gimmick.
    Surely the gimmick of the Hundred is the Hundred.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited August 2022

Come back kid - IDS tipped for Cabinet return as Truss’s chief whip if she wins…

And which fortunate area of our glorious demos will IDS rule over?
    Edit. I see it is Chief Whip.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Weren’t you done with them when Boris Johnson became leader?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    kle4 said:

Whilst there are the everpresent dangers of becoming too formulaic and bland, for me 'comic book movies' often work for the same reason fantasy and science fiction can work.

Sure there are typical tropes that people think of as being emblematic of all such works, but really you can tell any type of story you want - gritty, philosophical, silly, romantic, swashbuckling, whatever - and also add spaceships, magic, or dragons etc. It can be utterly realistic, but for a single fantastical element, or pure childish nonsense, whatever you want.

Like most people I had no idea Blade was a comic book character when I watched the 1998 Wesley Snipes movie, and there's nothing about it that would make it seem essentially like a prototypical marvel film today.
    Like CR I have no interest in Superhero films, and am not much of one for action films either. I prefer films about character, than special effects and implausible plots.

Marlon James expounds an interesting idea though that Superhero adventures are the equivalent of Greek, Norse, or other mythologies, with the Superheros as gods amongst the mortals.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I was, I lived in hope that the party might find some sanity, but Braverman as Home Secretary would me done forever with the party.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,676
    dixiedean said:

So he will rule over the Tory MPs. Nice......
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    tlg86 said:

Yebbut at the moment he's done being done.

Soon maybe he'll be done being done with being done with them.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Surely for someone on the lash all the time it should be Boris Johnson? Ably assisted by Susan Acland-Hood and Simon Case?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Alistair said:

What a finish.

Brilliant. She has a much better kick than her mum did. She was also at my kids’ school.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Lol.

There is a tournament in India in October which may be of more interest to him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_U-17_Women's_World_Cup
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,676
    ClippP said:

dixiedean said:

So he will rule over the Tory MPs. Nice......
    And so the next question is just how many decent Conservative MPs are now having talks with the Liberal Democrats? And in some cases with Labour?
  • Options

Lol.

That is v funny
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-62403993

“And again our country has failed a 12-year-old child“

I’m sorry, but no. I know she’s a grieving mother. And I’ve refrained from commenting either privately or publicly until now. But when the poor boy’s poor mother makes statements like that (and others, far worse), it’s only right that they’re challenged.

That kid has received some of the best medical care from one of the best health services the modern world has ever seen.

“Who failed Archie?” is, bluntly, not an argument his family should want to start. That line of argument could end very badly for them.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Have Rishi's trousers fallen down?
  • Options
    Woohoo, I might be entitled to compensation.

A UK law firm is investigating a potential group legal action against Uefa on behalf of Liverpool fans regarding the chaotic events at the Champions League final in Paris in May.

Leigh Day said it was investigating the potential claim for individuals who suffered physical or psychological injuries, after being contacted by a number of supporters. The firm said it believed 5-10,000 people could be affected and would be able to join the claim, which is to allege that Uefa failed to ensure a safe and secure environment for those attending.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/aug/03/law-firm-investigating-possible-legal-action-against-uefa-for-liverpool-fans
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Hahah Oh dear.

God help me I am starting to like the woman.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    24C at 10 pm in Primrose Hill's troubled borderlands. This amazing summer goes on
  • Options
    ping said:

I’m sorry, but no. I know she’s a grieving mother. And I’ve refrained from commenting either privately or publicly until now. But when the poor boy’s poor mother makes statements like that (and others, far worse), it’s only right that they’re challenged.

That kid has received some of the best medical care from one of the best health services the modern world has ever seen.

“Who failed Archie?” is, bluntly, not an argument his family should want to start. That line of argument could end very badly for them.

Correct. He has been dead since his nearly successful suicide attempt and even deader since his brain went necrotic several weeks back

This is how benign contempt for Christians turns into incredulous loathing
  • Options

A UK law firm is investigating a potential group legal action against Uefa on behalf of Liverpool fans regarding the chaotic events at the Champions League final in Paris in May.

Leigh Day said it was investigating the potential claim for individuals who suffered physical or psychological injuries, after being contacted by a number of supporters. The firm said it believed 5-10,000 people could be affected and would be able to join the claim, which is to allege that Uefa failed to ensure a safe and secure environment for those attending.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/aug/03/law-firm-investigating-possible-legal-action-against-uefa-for-liverpool-fans

Leigh Day.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leigh Day.
    He was cleared by the SDT.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Correct. He has been dead since his nearly successful suicide attempt and even deader since his brain went necrotic several weeks back

Be more compassionate. This is every parents worst nightmare. I can’t imagine what this would be like or how I would behave.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726
    edited August 2022
    What a fabulous performance by Eilish McColgan . My favourite moment of the games so far . I remember her mum winning and amazing to see her daughter following in her footsteps. And Flower of Scotland is really uplifting .
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leigh Day.
    I remember the character in Pratchett who was completely sane and had a certificate to prove it.

• Options
    kle4 said:

I like to see her in a pure red outfit, just to troll people. Going in the Tory blue is just so expected.
    Still wearing the sub necklace tho. Absolutely does not give a fuck. Commendable
  • Options

Volenti non fit injuria

French for What do you expect if you go to a murderous shithole to watch a shit murderous football team. Leigh Day make me embarrassed to have been a solicitor.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

What a fabulous performance by Eilish McColgan . My favourite moment of the games so far . I remember her mum winning and amazing to see her daughter following in her footsteps. And Flower of Scotland is really uplifting .

Flower of Scotland is a dirge. But a fabulous performance.
  • Options

Hmmm.

Offering Sunak HS is quite a good idea.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Be more compassionate. This is every parents worst nightmare. I can’t imagine what this would be like or how I would behave.
    I can.
  • Options

Hmmm.

Offering my daughter’s new cat HS is a good idea if the alternative is Braverman.
  • Options

But that is an incredibly BIPOC Cabinet

My goodness. Kwarteng, Cleverley, Patel, Badenoch, Braverman

I like it. Truss clearly intends to tackle the dinghy people and say Fuck the Woke
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    I pop along to PB expecting the usual stuff about pizza and stepmoms, only to discover a regular poster dissing Deltics!

Disgraceful!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Flower of Scotland is a dirge. But a fabulous performance.
    I can't help it but I rather like Flower of Scotland. My head says I shouldn't but my heart still likes it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    ping said:

I agree. Children's intensive care for several months is not just a financial expense, but also has a major opportunity cost in that that bed cannot be used to support neurosurgery or cardiac surgery on other children. In the USA the medical bill would probably be half a million dollars by now, but no cost to the parents.

Of course the death of a child is traumatic and tragic, but ventilating a corpse for another few months is not appropriate treatment of parental bereavement.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Have Rishi's trousers fallen down?
    Not as far as his polling.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

I pop along to PB expecting the usual stuff about pizza and stepmoms, only to discover a regular poster dissing Deltics!

Disgraceful!

When I saw that particular comment, I thought you’d be upset. Good job you’re not in charge of the ban hammer.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Leigh Day.
    I remember the character in Pratchett who was completely sane and had a certificate to prove it.

I was once compared to Martyn Day after this conversation.

Managing Director: We're in a pickle, [goes on to explain a very complex, multi jurisdictional problem]

Me: I've got this brilliant strategy to get us out of this problem, [explains strategy]

MD: Is that legal?

Me: It is rarely prosecuted

Outside counsel: Fucking hell, Martyn Day would be proud
  • Options
    Taiwan leading the news all day on R4.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I like it. Truss clearly intends to tackle the dinghy people and say Fuck the Woke
    Mordaunt at Sport is a bit worrying.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hmmm.

Offering my daughter’s new cat HS is a good idea if the alternative is Braverman.
    Ah, my HS stood for Health Secretary - not a sensible abbreviation. That's the rumoured offer. It's senior enough for it not to be a snub, but takes him out of the running of the country bit, and gives him plenty of scope for penny pinching.

I wouldn't move Patel from Home Secretary myself - just keep her in there forever. Swapping her with Braverman I see nothing to be gained, and a fair bit of experience in the role lost.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I was, I lived in hope that the party might find some sanity, but Braverman as Home Secretary would me done forever with the party.
    All of these moves are "tipped to be".

So likely to be utter bollx in fact.
  • Options
    Leon said:

BIPOC?

• Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

Darkies Black, Indigenous, and people of colour.
  • Options
    Looking at the reports of who Truss is going to put in her Cabinet - and in what jobs - it looks like she is very focused on maximising anti-Tory tactical voting.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Me neither. However, a "compassionate" Christian group might be offering every resource they had to help the parents come to terms with their unimaginable loss.
    Rather than an army of lawyers to prolong their pain.
    Yes she is wrong and this needs to be done but I still think she needs compassion.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Keeps him away from the media. Whips don't do the broadcast interview round on Sundays. So might be a good idea.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Me neither. However, a "compassionate" Christian group might be offering every resource they had to help the parents come to terms with their unimaginable loss.
    Rather than an army of lawyers to prolong their pain.
    The lawyers on both sides were acting pro bono.

This is The Monkey's Paw in real life except that the parents in that did not have the entire medical profession and every Court in the world explaining loudly and clearly that the child's brain had liquefied and poured out through the bottom of his skull weeks ago. I don't see that the legal or medical professions have put a foot wrong here.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

If you know of a better term, now we have abandoned "BAME", do please tell
  • Options

DavidL said:

Hmmm.

Ah, my HS stood for Health Secretary - not a sensible abbreviation. That's the rumoured offer. It's senior enough for it not to be a snub, but takes him out of the running of the country bit, and gives him plenty of scope for penny pinching.

I wouldn't move Patel from Home Secretary myself - just keep her in there forever. Swapping her with Braverman I see nothing to be gained, and a fair bit of experience in the role lost.

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

So, basically everyone?

• Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

Given that white people are indigenous to Britain, doesn't that description just cover everyone?
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

A nonsense acronym from America (where it should stay)

Black, Indigenous People Of Colour
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

FPT

Yes, I concur

Fascinating

For some reason I don’t always put Melvyn in my top 10 greatest living Englishmen* (the luxuriant hair maybe?) but he should definitely be there.

*English person
    Northern boy ends up in Hampstead and there the similarity ends. He's one of those people who channels his fundamental unease at our 'situation' into massive lifelong productivity. I remember the SB Show when it started, bit of intellectual telly on a Saturday night, feeling slightly pleased with myself for liking it.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

Given that white people are indigenous to Britain, doesn't that description just cover everyone?
    Yeah, probably, that's why I like it

Certainly as a Cornishman I am claiming indigenous status. The rest of you may have to give me reparations for enslaving my granny in the St Agnes tin mines when she was but a slip of a child, you heartless fiends
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Braverman and Cleverley are both manifestly incompetent, to the extent that matters.

Kwarteng comes from the Rishi-Sunak-school-of-do-nothing, but is presumably there as someone Truss believes will do her bidding.

IDS’s return is potentially not a bad idea in that if you have to have nutters in your cabinet, he is probably the least awful.

Pushing Patel away from any executive responsibility is also a small mercy.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

I've never understood what was wrong with ethnic minority/minorities?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Hmmm.

I saw a comment recently that the UK was increasingly a health service with a small country attached. Health and Social Care Secretary is responsible for almost 1/3 of all government spending. It’s a serious job and I hope Sunak takes it.
  • Options

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

It is said to be demeaning: ie you are and always will be a "minority" = inferior
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

So, what replaces it then?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hmmm.

I saw a comment recently that the UK was increasingly a health service with a small country attached. Health and Social Care Secretary is responsible for almost 1/3 of all government spending. It’s a serious job and I hope Sunak takes it.
    Yes; if it's offered, I hope so too. I just don't want him anywhere near the economy.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

Bongobongolanders, Indians, Pakistanis, Orientals and Caribbeans is the UK equivalent
  • Options

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

Brits.
    Mate, if only. If only we could all be "Brits". That would - genuinely - be a marvellous day

But you know the Guardian won't allow it. They are already looking for the new word. BIPOC won't last, it is too clumsy, but something else will come along, and last for about 2 years, before being discarded as "racist"
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

So, what replaces it then?
    People of Colour works, if we must have something.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

Indigenous?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

BIPOC?

It is said to be demeaning: ie you are and always will be a "minority" = inferior
    Men are a minority.
This discussion has been closed.