Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We are headed for a new Elizabethan era – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,677
    And this is from the Indy about the same time

“There are rumours being widely circulated about candidates getting involved in bondage, domination and sadomasochism, claims of inappropriate relationships and compromising explicit photographs that could be used as kompromat,” a senior Tory Party source told the paper.“

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-race-dirty-dossiers-b2119655.html

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,989

Sandpit said:

EU agrees to cut gas use over Russia supply fears
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62305094

Buy stocks in jumper sellers.

Buy stocks in diesel generator manufacturers, Middle East and US O&G companies.
    Sell stocks in EU heavy industry.

Be thankful the UK is no longer in the EU.
    Avoiding anything EU this winter and beyond is the sensible way.
    I'll be very surprised if there isnt pretty extensive civil unrest in the EU
    I really hope that they are starting to prepare now for winter, and that someone will make it clear to Sholz that Putin is going to be playing games with the gas supply, simply because he can.

The best way to avoid this, is to arm Ukraine to the teeth and see Putin get a military defeat over the summer.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,945

We have now an example of MMT and how it does not work in the real world.

?

MMT economists have never said that government spending can’t cause inflation. On the contrary, their models seem to be fairly explicit that government spending will cause inflaction in a fairly well defined set of circumstances.

Anyone that claims that MMT justifies endless government spending is confused.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

In case anyone missed it (I posted it at about 2am)

Which raises the question: does she not care? Took me 2 mins to google that

Is she trolling?

On the upside, looks like we’re about to have our first kinkster prime minister (I am discounting the lurid rumours about Pitt the Younger)

Maybe she's been trolled, if she'd been given it as a gift and hadn't looked to see where it was bought from.
    No, she knows exactly what it means. Her dress also had bondage motifs - overt, egregious lacing on the sides

She’s a kinkster
    Does anyone care? It's not even exotic now every woman in the land has read 50 Shades. The last guy (who may or may not have resigned) has a history of screwing the hired help so Liz will be the second prime minister in a row who likes sex.
    Did Theresa May not enjoy sex? This will come as a crushing bow to the ego of Phillip May.

I understand sex is a very popular hobby and has been for some time. End of story for a political betting website.

The juvenile masturbators parading themselves on this thread should probably go to a different website and leave us be. I understand a range of such sites are available to suit every taste.
    lol. And also: wrong

Truss is heading for victory. She is going to be the next UK PM. She’s got past the solitary debate without harm, so what’s left? A few hustings?

Realistically, the one thing that could derail her campaign now is a scandal. Now what form might such a scandal take? There were rumours in the Times - yes, the Times - that one of the leadership candidates “likes BDSM”. Thanks to my genius insight, PB now knows who this is, very probably

Two things generally cause scandals: sex and
    money. Sunak was nearly derailed by a money scandal. Truss?

All this has serious betting implications, as well as consequences for the nation, and the idea we should ignore it because a bunch of incels on PB get upset is frankly absurd
    I'm not sure "likes BDSM" is even really much of a scandal any more, is it?
    It might be enough to derail a candidate with the Tory membership? I genuinely dunno. We need the expert insight of @HYUFD!

Also see my quote from the Indy. Allegedly there is kompromat. Photos

That WOULD be dangerous for any candidate
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Genuine question, if Truss reverses the BoJo economic policies, isn't that the elderly care plan dumped?

What 'elderly care plan'? There never was one. It was just Boris doing his usual trick of announcing that he's solved a problem without actually doing anything at all.
    The NI increases were a semi-hypothecated tax that would go towards plugging the gap on healthcare spending. If you get rid of them , and assuming spending on a now collapsed healthcare system won't be reduced, you are simply adding to a black hole instead.
    There's no such thing as semi-hypothecated taxes.

It was a tax. That is all. Calling it a health levy was just lipstick on a pig.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    Phil said:

?

MMT economists have never said that government spending can’t cause inflation. On the contrary, their models seem to be fairly explicit that government spending will cause inflaction in a fairly well defined set of circumstances.

Hold on is this Magic Money Tree or Modern Monetary Theory ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,763

Pulpstar said:

Who does everyone think will be Foreign and Home for Truss ?

Priti =HS
    Mad Nad= FS
    Mad Nad = FFS
  • Options
    Leon said:

For the record. This is the Times from two weeks ago

And yet PB should ignore it, because it distresses some maiden aunts?

@Dura_Ace please come back from Cairo

So your argument is that The Times employs a handful of chronic masturbators in a similar league to you?

I'm not arguing from a maiden aunt perspective. It's just tedious, irrelevant, and the incredibly creepy way you do it gives every impression that you're typing one handed.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,627

Pulpstar said:

What job do we think Rishi might do in Truss' cabinet. I think remaining as Chancellor is right out, they're too fiscally different and Simon Clark is getting that.
    Perhaps health ? He's got links there with his parents after all.

Something really, really humiliating, perhaps Welsh Secretary.
    Humiliating an opponent voted for by half the parliamentary party might not be very clever.
  • Options

FFS! Finally got through to HMRC after waiting 40 mins on hold, regarding the IHT payable my late mum's estate.

They've lost the (seven separate) forms I had to send in, even though they phoned me to query details in them two weeks ago. Can I please complete them again and re-send, recorded delivery.

Oh, and by the way, please guess how much IHT is due and make sure I guess right and pay it by the end of this month, else they'll be charging the estate interest.

Sorry, appreciate that is off-topic but I feel better now.

Sympathies. And RIP your mum

I actually have a related query. A relative of mine has died with a large outstanding phone bill

What happens to these things if people die? Is someone else liable?

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

On the upside, looks like we’re about to have our first kinkster prime minister (I am discounting the lurid rumours about Pitt the Younger)

Maybe she's been trolled, if she'd been given it as a gift and hadn't looked to see where it was bought from.
    No, she knows exactly what it means. Her dress also had bondage motifs - overt, egregious lacing on the sides

She’s a kinkster
    Does anyone care? It's not even exotic now every woman in the land has read 50 Shades. The last guy (who may or may not have resigned) has a history of screwing the hired help so Liz will be the second prime minister in a row who likes sex.
    Did Theresa May not enjoy sex? This will come as a crushing bow to the ego of Phillip May.

I understand sex is a very popular hobby and has been for some time. End of story for a political betting website.

The juvenile masturbators parading themselves on this thread should probably go to a different website and leave us be. I understand a range of such sites are available to suit every taste.

Truss is heading for victory. She is going to be the next UK PM. She’s got past the solitary debate without harm, so what’s left? A few hustings?

Realistically, the one thing that could derail her campaign now is a scandal. Now what form might such a scandal take? There were rumours in the Times - yes, the Times - that one of the leadership candidates “likes BDSM”. Thanks to my genius insight, PB now knows who this is, very probably

All this has serious betting implications, as well as consequences for the nation, and the idea we should ignore it because a bunch of incels on PB get upset is frankly absurd
    Adult likes sex is up there with dogs like walks, bears shit in woods and the sun rises in the East as a scandal.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

FFS! Finally got through to HMRC after waiting 40 mins on hold, regarding the IHT payable my late mum's estate.

They've lost the (seven separate) forms I had to send in, even though they phoned me to query details in them two weeks ago. Can I please complete them again and re-send, recorded delivery.

Oh, and by the way, please guess how much IHT is due and make sure I guess right and pay it by the end of this month, else they'll be charging the estate interest.

Crazy, how do you know what her property will sell for ultimately for instance ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,355
    Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

It might be enough to derail a candidate with the Tory membership? I genuinely dunno. We need the expert insight of @HYUFD!

Has either of them been anally probed by an off-worlder AND ENJOYED IT is what we really want to know.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,370
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

I actually have a related query. A relative of mine has died with a large outstanding phone bill

It will be paid from the estate by the executor(s), or written off if no estate to use.
    Probate wont be granted until debts settled
  • Options

Leon said:

For the record. This is the Times from two weeks ago

And yet PB should ignore it, because it distresses some maiden aunts?

@Dura_Ace please come back from Cairo

So your argument is that The Times employs a handful of chronic masturbators in a similar league to you?

I'm not arguing from a maiden aunt perspective. It's just tedious, irrelevant, and the incredibly creepy way you do it gives every impression that you're typing one handed.
    It certainly isn’t irrelevant. I submit - aha! - that it isn’t tedious either

You must live in a world where sex never causes scandals? Given that Boris finally resigned because of a sex scandal I suggest that it is you who is wanking away in a parallel universe. Tediously
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,907
    Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

No, but I also don’t think “liking BDSM” is the sex scandal that one camp might be worried about.
  • Options
    Leon said:

My brother died in 2019 with a large outstanding utility bill because he hadn't been providing meter readings. As his executor, I paid it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,763
    Looks like we'll have to make the "Never kissed a Tory" T-shirts rather more explicit if Jizzy Lizzy gets the job.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    Leon said:

I am not a lawyer but aiui the estate of the deceased is liable, no-one else. If the estate had no funds the phone co will have to suck it up. ..unless someone knows better .....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dem donors are the dumbest fucker fuckers alive.

Marjorie Taylor Greene's opponent (Marcus Flowers) has raised millions of dollars for a contest he has precisely zero chance of winning. Every single one of those dollars would be better spent on pretty much every other race in the country.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,396
    Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Nah, from the stories I heard from my local Young Conservatives, oh and the Tennis club, back in the day (and I grew up in dualling banjo land, 15 miles from you) they won't bat an eyelid. A very enlightened and open minded selectorate, of that I have no doubt . Ooh er Missus!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,522

Sandpit said:

That's a pretty strong prediction. Bookmarked.

I wonder what's happened to other predictions I previously bookmarked?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Are we sure that Times story isn't a typo and its a scandal about M&S, as in having an M&S suit...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on dead people’s phone bills!

PB never fails
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,091
    Leon said:

A year ago I would have filed this under “insane”

Now?

I do my commenting backstage these days so I can hold all the convos in one place so forgive this rare irruption to below-the-line. However I do need to point out the following:

1: I detailed this very point in my recent article https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/
    2: I held a brief Q&A session on May 3rd which some people attended (and to which you were invited). In that session I discussed a word document expanding on the points, which included that very map.

Perhaps if I had tweeted it people would have noticed... :(

Anyhoo, I am working on two sequels: one highlighting the importance of the Intermarium (the lands between the Black, Agean and Baltic Seas) that form the defacto border between Germany and Russia, and another entitled "The 2022 Russian Invasion of Britain", which illustrates the Russo-Ukranian War by setting it in Britain (so NI is Crimea and various English ports stand for Kherson, Kharkiv, Mariopol etc) and so gives you an the scale of the invasion. I'm busy with the RSS Conference so it won't be until September at the earliest

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,484

Leon said:

My brother died in 2019 with a large outstanding utility bill because he hadn't been providing meter readings. As his executor, I paid it.
    From the estate presumably?

I know someone who was an executor for someone who had died owing reasonable amounts to various utilities and council tax etc. There was no money in the estate and so as far as I know the debt was never paid.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Sandpit said:

Well there is the possibility i will be wrong and spend winter in a state of surprise.
    All wide eyed for Christmas.
    If we are bookmarking then my prediction is for yellow vest level of unrest in multiple countries of the EU over winter and early spring 2022 to 23

I promise a suitable level of contrition depending on how wrong i am
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene's opponent (Marcus Flowers) has raised millions of dollars for a contest he has precisely zero chance of winning. Every single one of those dollars would be better spent on pretty much every other race in the country.

Greene is seriously popular in her district, trying to unseat her is like the Republicans trying to unseat AOC.

More worrying, is Democrat donors interfering in Republican House primaries, supporting the furthest right candidate in the hope of them losing to the Dem in November. That could backfire on them quite spectacularly.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Here's one prediction, from July 8th, that aged well.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4010511/#Comment_4010511

How it turned out eleven days later. Take that weather forecasting sceptics!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2022/red-extreme-heat-warning-ud
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

A year ago I would have filed this under “insane”

Now?

I do my commenting backstage these days so I can hold all the convos in one place so forgive this rare irruption to below-the-line. However I do need to point out the following:

1: I detailed this very point in my recent article https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/
    2: I held a brief Q&A session on May 3rd which some people attended (and to which you were invited). In that session I discussed a word document expanding on the points, which included that very map.

Perhaps if I had tweeted it people would have noticed... :(

Anyhoo, I am working on two sequels: one highlighting the importance of the Intermarium (the lands between the Black, Agean and Baltic Seas) that form the defacto border between Germany and Russia, and another entitled "The 2022 Russian Invasion of Britain", which illustrates the Russo-Ukranian War by setting it in Britain (so NI is Crimea and various English ports stand for Kherson, Kharkiv, Mariopol etc) and so gives you an the scale of the invasion. I'm busy with the RSS Conference so it won't be until September at the earliest

Fascinating

Don’t recall the Q&A

I wish you could come back and comment again. Can’t you just use a new pseudonym? AIUI some people do this
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,969
    Leon said:

Biden is doomed to defeat. Just gotta pray the GOP don’t choose Trump

It's only a couple of days since you told us he was probably dead.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

After a few phonecalls with HMRC I engaged a specialist probate solicitor. The three grand it cost me legitimately saved tens of thousands of pounds, and hours of heartache debating with heartless halfwits.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,406

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

No, but I also don’t think “liking BDSM” is the sex scandal that one camp might be worried about.
    It isn't. And before anyone starts shrieking about "slut shaming" I know that I don't care who she is doing or how she is doing them. Frankly if she is a fetlifer I'm more impressed than I otherwise would have been. I assume @leon is of a similar mindset.

But - and its a big but - supposedly there are scandal materials being held back to "bring down the government". Liz doing Ms Whiplash on colleagues is their business. Until the the proof of live video gets used as blackmail by hostile powers. Which is what I assume the Finland (and onwards to Russia) angle relates to...
  • Options

Probably the fault of the new guy in charge ...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Ooooh

I think there's a reasonable argument 1. That there is no Liz bomb because if there were it would have made sense to detonate it before we got down to 2 candidates (creating uncertainty about who dunnit) and 2. If detonated now, provided it is about legal acts between consenting adults, it would backfire very badly on the obvious suspect.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,706
    Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Somebody down the pub told me the other day that one of the Conservative candidates to become party leader does NOT like BDSM. I do not know at what stage of the contest that was.
  • Options

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

It isn't. And before anyone starts shrieking about "slut shaming" I know that I don't care who she is doing or how she is doing them. Frankly if she is a fetlifer I'm more impressed than I otherwise would have been. I assume @leon is of a similar mindset.

But - and its a big but - supposedly there are scandal materials being held back to "bring down the government". Liz doing Ms Whiplash on colleagues is their business. Until the the proof of live video gets used as blackmail by hostile powers. Which is what I assume the Finland (and onwards to Russia) angle relates to...
    Yes we are of like mind

What people do in the bedroom should NOT matter but it does

1 because humans are insatiably in love with sexual gossip (for Darwinian reasons) and many are still deeply judgmental

2 and because that opens politicians up to blackmail

I also wondered about the Finland thing
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

It comes after Conservative peer and former party treasurer Lord Cruddas claimed yesterday that Johnson "does not want to resign" and "wished that he could carry on" as prime minister.

Cruddas said the comments were made to him by the prime minister over lunch at Chequers on Friday, but in response a No 10 spokeswoman said that Johnson has resigned as party leader and "set out his intention to stand down as PM when the new leader is in place".

Phew

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62273292

Thank goodness Boris Johnson's word is his bond.
    Is Truss' word 'bondage?'
    Truss's safe word is flüggåәnkб€čhiœßølįên

https://youtu.be/PBsDWgQqBfA?t=60

Probably NSFW.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2022
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Greene is seriously popular in her district, trying to unseat her is like the Republicans trying to unseat AOC.

More worrying, is Democrat donors interfering in Republican House primaries, supporting the furthest right candidate in the hope of them losing to the Dem in November. That could backfire on them quite spectacularly.
    Flowers has raised over $10million (as of last month). It is an amazing grift by him and his "political consultants" but that's 10 million that could have gone to state house races in the Rust Belt where the Dems really, really, really need to swing statehouses in their favour to avoid shenanigans in 2024.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It's only a couple of days since you told us he was probably dead.
    I haven’t seen him since
  • Options

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Shouldn't we be more concerned about her vacuous and dangerous incompetence rather than her personal private preferences?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Yes we are of like mind

1 because humans are insatiably in love with sexual gossip (for Darwinian reasons) and many are still deeply judgmental

We're starting to add two and two and getting adult baby-minding aren't we?

Its the baby angle that entertains me...
  • Options

Leon said:

I am not a lawyer but aiui the estate of the deceased is liable, no-one else. If the estate had no funds the phone co will have to suck it up. ..unless someone knows better .....
    True, unless someone has acted as guarantor on the account (unlikely).
  • Options

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Yes we are of like mind

We're starting to add two and two and getting adult baby-minding aren't we?

Its the baby angle that entertains me...
    Unicorn pyjamas!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,205
    The fact Sunak did best with Labour voters while Truss did best with Tory voters after last night's debate showed very clearly where the leadership election is heading
    https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1551679620893769730?s=20&t=oRvNLFg1Heti2Ra4QvQIkg
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

It comes after Conservative peer and former party treasurer Lord Cruddas claimed yesterday that Johnson "does not want to resign" and "wished that he could carry on" as prime minister.

Cruddas said the comments were made to him by the prime minister over lunch at Chequers on Friday, but in response a No 10 spokeswoman said that Johnson has resigned as party leader and "set out his intention to stand down as PM when the new leader is in place".

Phew

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62273292

Thank goodness Boris Johnson's word is his bond.
    Is Truss' word 'bondage?'
    Truss's safe word is flüggåәnkб€čhiœßølįên

https://youtu.be/PBsDWgQqBfA?t=60

Probably NSFW.
    "...with a melon?"

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/6f4026cb-0927-46ae-b7e2-09b6dcb3a1df
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The fact Sunak did best with Labour voters while Truss did best with Tory voters after last night's debate showed very clearly where the leadership election is heading
    https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1551679620893769730?s=20&t=oRvNLFg1Heti2Ra4QvQIkg

You’re here! We need your expertise

Would a revelation that one of the candidates is into BDSM affect the vote? Sincere question. I have no clue how relaxed Tories are these days

If it wouldn’t affect the vote, what would?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

As long as she was not doing anything illegal or doing BDSM with someone other than her husband while married I doubt any such photos if they existed would damage her too much
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,886
    Nigelb said:

Probably the fault of the new guy in charge ...
    Surely the blame for this lies with one of Brown, Clegg or Corbyn? I really don't know why people are starting to blame the party in charge for over a decade when we have such convenient and powerful scapegoats available.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

As long as she was not doing anything illegal or doing BDSM with someone other than her husband while married I doubt any such photos if they existed would damage her too much
    Ta
  • Options
    Leon said:

If not Trump probably the equally hardline DeSantis, Cruz or Pence would be GOP nominee.

Buttigieg I still think could replace Biden as Democrat nominee in 2024
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

The winner needs to primarily energise the base and convince tory leaners to turn out. Convincing labour to switch comes second.
    Electorally, i think they do better with Truss, they simply have to reengage the 1/3 of 2019 that have drifted away to no vote/unsure etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Is this really the same poster who wouldnt hear a bad word said about Boris?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,405

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

I didn't pick up anything like this last night during the debate. And I was watching her very closely.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

For the clear answer Leon was demanding, I believe he would have hoped you had stopped at "illegal".
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Well there is the possibility i will be wrong and spend winter in a state of surprise.
    If we are bookmarking then my prediction is for yellow vest level of unrest in multiple countries of the EU over winter and early spring 2022 to 23

I intend to give credit for correct predictions as well as brickbats for erroneous ones.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

I didn't pick up anything like this last night during the debate. And I was watching her very closely.
    Oh you did now, did you?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    More importantly (to me) is that she posed in a tank (as did thatcher) and boris threw a (mock?) grenade. Is playing with (killing) materiel a tory fetish?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Phil said:

?

Hold on is this Magic Money Tree or Modern Monetary Theory ?

They are the same thing, aren't they ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I intend to give credit for correct predictions as well as brickbats for erroneous ones.
    Given this threads direction i look forward to punishment and reward with equal excitement
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,355
    Ok, who's got tickets?
    Lee Hurst must be absolutely sobbing.

• Options
    Toms said:

More importantly (to me) is that she posed in a tank (as did thatcher) and boris threw a (mock?) grenade. Is playing with (killing) materiel a tory fetish?

So long as they send it to Ukraine when they’ve finished with it!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Ooooh

I think there's a reasonable argument 1. That there is no Liz bomb because if there were it would have made sense to detonate it before we got down to 2 candidates (creating uncertainty about who dunnit) and 2. If detonated now, provided it is about legal acts between consenting adults, it would backfire very badly on the obvious suspect.
    (2) If there was something about legal acts between consenting adults for either candidate, I agree that would probably not have much impact. However, recent Westminster scandals have concerned cases where there was not consent. Inappropriate sexual relationships under the shadow of unequal power relationships seem worryingly common. That sort of scandal would have more impact.

(1) By now, surely we know that scandals can be slow to emerge. The recent reports concerning Johnson and an inappropriate relationship with a junior who he tried to get a job at City Hall would have been much more devastating at almost any time earlier, but they only came out when he was already on his way out.

Were a scandal to emerge, I don’t see that the other candidate would necessarily be, or be perceived to be, guilty. If someone comes forward saying, “I didn’t want to say anything, but now it is apparent that X might become Prime Minister, so I felt I had to let people know,” then that wouldn’t have to have anything to do with the other candidate’s campaign.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

You are wrong, wrong, wrong. It should be "...a bunch of incels on PB *gets* upset...."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The winner needs to primarily energise the base and convince tory leaners to turn out. Convincing labour to switch comes second.
    Electorally, i think they do better with Truss, they simply have to reengage the 1/3 of 2019 that have drifted away to no vote/unsure etc
    Depends how many of those current Labour voters backing Sunak voted Tory in 2019
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056
    edited July 2022
    The Mail reports that Spain is going to insist on British tourists being able to show they have £85 a day available. Not sure it's a good idea from the Spanish point of view.
  • Options
    So I woke up this morning dreaming that the response to the coup against Boris was that the left should go on strike until Starmer is removed.

And now here we are with #StarmerOut trending.

I am a sage.

Lets hope that tomorrow I wake up with the knowledge of which MPs were the adult babies.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

Leon is a very, very odd and quite creepy bloke. Some of these posts make me feel quite uncomfortable.

Remember that he is usually drunk, has poor judgement and next to no common sense. It’s just his usual stream of cr*p.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Given MPs removed Boris for his improper behaviour, members will be looking for someone a bit more straight laced now Brexit is done and Corbyn beaten which Boris was leader to achieve
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Flowers has raised over $10million (as of last month). It is an amazing grift by him and his "political consultants" but that's 10 million that could have gone to state house races in the Rust Belt where the Dems really, really, really need to swing statehouses in their favour to avoid shenanigans in 2024.
    That sort of thing makes no sense at all. Yes, we get that the Dems really don’t like MTG, but she’s in a 75-25 district and has no chance of being defeated.

The vast majority of their money needs to go into their own held marginals, because the swing is always against the party of the President in the mid-terms, and doubly so when there’s a recession negative growth in the economy.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

That sort of thing makes no sense at all. Yes, we get that the Dems really don’t like MTG, but she’s in a 75-25 district and has no chance of being defeated.

The vast majority of their money needs to go into their own held marginals, because the swing is always against the party of the President in the mid-terms, and doubly so when there’s a recession negative growth in the economy.
    You presume the $10M raised would otherwise have been given to other campaigns. Maybe many of those donating have a particular antipathy towards MTG?
  • Options
    Good news! An early copy of tonight's Tory leadership debate has been leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0caV4Fxpbw
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,038
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Its the necklace. If she was miss innocent then perhaps she saw it ebay and thought "thats a nice necklace" and has no idea what it is.

But she isn't. So she does. Good for her!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Mail reports that Spain is going to insist on British tourists being able to show they have £85 a day available. Not sure it's a good idea from the Spanish point of view.

We have similar rules for people visiting the UK on a visa, should we drop those too?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Per person?
    For a family of five for a fortnight, that's pretty pricey.
  • Options
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadine_Dorries

So what is the verdict on nad's necklace here?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Spain was similarly dick-ish about ex-pats living there in terms of the level they set for basic income required to gain permission to stay.

In comparison, Portugal made everything as simple and easy as possible and more than happy to have ex-pats who used to live in Spain. Basically if you lived there prior to Brexit and you have income a tad more than minimum wage, it was couple of forms and job done.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Depends how many of those current Labour voters backing Sunak voted Tory in 2019
    Not really. There has been low levels of switch found in polling and high levels of moving to unsure/not voting. Maximising votes from the latter group should be the primary aim, rather than the slight advantage amongst the much smaller group of direct switchers that sunak has (its not an absolute advantage, he might attract back switchers at 1.5 to 1 based on the YouGov poll)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Per person?
    We're off to Spain on Sunday for 18 days. So on paper that is €7,200 we need for the 4 of us. Which is utterly mental.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Its the necklace. If she was miss innocent then perhaps she saw it ebay and thought "thats a nice necklace" and has no idea what it is.

I concur. It makes me more inclined towards her.
    Not a lot else does mind.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadine_Dorries

So what is the verdict on nad's necklace here?

I vote: Not Kink

However, isn't Nad meant to be quite racy?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Given MPs removed Boris for his improper behaviour, members will be looking for someone a bit more straight laced now Brexit is done and Corbyn beaten which Boris was leader to achieve
    A bit more straight laced is easily achieved, and delivered by both candidates. But nothing illegal and no affair in their lifetime is decent odds against for a top politician.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056

Andy_JS said:

We have similar rules for people visiting the UK on a visa, should we drop those too?
    Most British tourists to Spain aren't rich. It depends whether Spain cares about losing a lot of tourist business.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Per person?
    We're off to Spain on Sunday for 18 days. So on paper that is €7,200 we need for the 4 of us. Which is utterly mental.
    Does Betfair liability on people out the next PM/next leader race count towards this ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

You presume the $10M raised would otherwise have been given to other campaigns. Maybe many of those donating have a particular antipathy towards MTG?
    Oh sure there’s loads of Dem donors that hate her with a passion, but throwing $10m at a 100/1 shot of unseating her, when they could be spending the cash on defending marginal districts? If I was the candidate in one of those marginals, I’d be furious!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Most British tourists to Spain aren't rich. It depends whether Spain cares about losing a lot of tourist business.
    And should the UK care about turning away non rich tourists as well? If not, why should the Spanish?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

A bit more straight laced is easily achieved, and delivered by both candidates. But nothing illegal and no affair in their lifetime is decent odds against for a top politician.
    Other than his lockdown fine, which in itself was more a political statement than a legal one, I doubt Sunak has ever done anything illegal or had an affair. He is also teetotal
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,208
    Theresa May set the standard in heavy-duty jewelry.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Per person?
    Does Betfair liability on people out the next PM/next leader race count towards this ?
    On paper we are staying with my Spanish FIL. So the wodge of cash to pay for the apartment we are renting definitely counts. But there is no way we could spend €400 as a family of 4. The odd day maybe, but every day? Crackers.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

And should the UK care about turning away non rich tourists as well? If not, why should the Spanish?
    Similar laws exist in pretty much every developed country anyway. It is just a bit of British exceptionalism to assume that we should be exempt from them in Spain.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Its worth pointing out the Spanish requirements are a "may be required to" and can include credit card limit.....

I imagine in reality it will really used in a similar manner to nightclub bouncers not liking the look of somebody and pulling out their dress code which they are use to deny entry, rather than a family of 4 having a week on the Costa del Sol.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527

Pulpstar said:

What job do we think Rishi might do in Truss' cabinet. I think remaining as Chancellor is right out, they're too fiscally different and Simon Clark is getting that.
    Perhaps health ? He's got links there with his parents after all.

He won't and will step down at the next election imo
    Agreed. The only thing I could possibly see is a job like Leader of the House which is procedural rather than policy-driven, but I don’t think it will suit his ego to take it.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

I recall there was a moral panic decades ago about D&D etc but I didn't realise an antipathy towards Magic: The Gathering was such a potent issue nowadays.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

And the dress. This was the same outfit she wore last night. Check the lacing

You and I know this world. We know what this says

Now, is this prurient and sordid speculation which demeans PB?

Yes

Does it matter?

Also yes
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Professor Susan Michie has been made chair of the WHO's behavioural advisory group.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is she trolling?

She’s a kinkster

Other than his lockdown fine, which in itself was more a political statement than a legal one, I doubt Sunak has ever done anything illegal or had an affair. He is also teetotal
    He worked for Goldmans in the noughties.......
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Andy_JS said:

I can't remember the last time I spent as much as £85 in a single day on any holiday, excluding hotels and travel but even that was nearly always pre-booked. £85 average seems insane to the point that surely there must be some kind of misunderstanding somewhere.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

If not Trump probably the equally hardline DeSantis, Cruz or Pence would be GOP nominee.

Buttigieg I still think could replace Biden as Democrat nominee in 2024
    The polls show he loses bigger to Trump than Biden though I think.

This discussion has been closed.