Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Tory coronation? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I see the government has a plan to keep ambulances from waiting in the heat. No more than 30 min permitted. Not sure where we are supposed to put all the folk instead...

BREAKING: All hospitals in England told to take "immediate steps" to find extra space for patients so that no ambulance waits longer than 30mins. This must be done despite the extra burden on hospital staff, say NHS chiefs. https://t.co/Jb71x4PC3w

Because obviously you leave them outside on ambulances all the time just because you can't be bothered to treat them.
    The good doctor has to get to the golf course sometime!
    Somebody wood say that.
    We have to club together to iron out these issues.
    We've gone a fairway to turning this thread into one on golfing puns.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I see the government has a plan to keep ambulances from waiting in the heat. No more than 30 min permitted. Not sure where we are supposed to put all the folk instead...

BREAKING: All hospitals in England told to take "immediate steps" to find extra space for patients so that no ambulance waits longer than 30mins. This must be done despite the extra burden on hospital staff, say NHS chiefs. https://t.co/Jb71x4PC3w

Because obviously you leave them outside on ambulances all the time just because you can't be bothered to treat them.
    Perhaps I will skip golf tommorow afternoon...
    Seems a bit rough.
    I feel strongly about this, can I chip in?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

We should expand on my idea of putting all school children in Zorb balls made of knife proof plastic, with built in airconditioning and HEPA filters.

If we do the same for patients, they will be kept cool, not infect/be infected with COVID. Also patients at A&E will find it much harder to fight with each other when drunk.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022
    This seems like the kind of evening in London where someone will be having a giant public barbecue in a public park. If I head towards Primrose Hill way I expect to spell the waft of charcoal-grilling chicken and live music.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    Phew, laying Rory was never in doubt.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

This Government is so getting to grips with all our key concerns. Diktats like this, ensuring the NHS is working like clockwork, Johnson training to be a fighter pilot for the Ukraine Airforce in Lincolnshire yesterday and now Sunak going for ultra hard de- harmonised Brexit so we can never return cap in hand to the EU. Where do I put my cross?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Metro
    @MetroUK
    Yesterday
    Londoners warned not to travel on Monday or Tuesday due to extreme heat ⚠️

Is travel more dangerous if you're a Londoner or something ?

I expect the tube will be pretty awful in the heat, buses too, rail is running at reduced speed, and sitting in a car running the AC quite popular.

The origins of today’s deeper-seated problems date to 1890, when the first deep tunnels were built under the Thames from Stockwell to the City, on what is now known as the Northern Line. More tunnels bored at depths below 20 metres followed over the next century - on the Bakerloo, Central, Victoria, Waterloo & City, Jubilee and Piccadilly lines - to form today’s Deep Tube network.

Temperatures were initially cool, and matched the ambient heat of the earth surrounding the tunnels (around 14°C in 1900). But that was before millions of passengers and a service frequency unimaginable to Victorian and Edwardian planners were added to the mix.

Unbeknown to 19th century engineers, up to 79% of energy dissipated by trains, people and infrastructure is transferred to London’s native clay around the tunnel bores - thus the temperature of this giant heat sink has slowly climbed to today’s balmy average of 20-25°C.

Without the valuable gift of hindsight, LU’s early engineers failed to provide adequate ventilation to dissipate this heat, and mid-tunnel shafts were either too few in number or non-existent.

https://www.railmagazine.com/infrastructure/stations/cooling-the-tube
    They were also built far too narrow - 12ft as opposed to 16ft, meaning you now have teeny-weeny trains wending their way as far away from Central London as Heathrow (Piccadilly line only), Epping, Stanmore, Edgware and Morden.

One early tube railway that was built to 16ft was the Northern City Line between Finsbury Park and Moorgate. So at least that, along with the new Elizabeth Line, has proper-sized trains. Oh and an honorable mention for the main-line Heathrow stations opened between 1998 and 2008.
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say Willey was completely pulled out there.
  • Options

Except for the unfortunate Caroline Wozniacki.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Farooq said:

Afternoon all! My 11yr old daughter has been having sailing lessons this weekend, so needed picking up from Peterhead at 4pm. So we went out after lunch and had a wander around Slains castle. https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/crudenbay/slainscastle/index.html

This is a unique place - an imposing structure on top of sheer cliffs, a ruin for a century that you can wander around and even spiral staircases you can climb up floor after floor.

The most boggling part - it is simply there. No access control, no custodian heritage organisation, nothing to stop you falling from the top of the tower or out a window down the cliffs.

Every time I come, its always WOW.

Yes, I know it well. If you have the guts to stand at the top of that tallest tower, you're braver than most. It's actually quite horrifying to be stood there with a 4 storey drop one side and the spiral staircase ready to swallow you up in the other three directions. Any feeling of faintness and you're doomed, and not a rail or a warning sign in sight.
    what would a warning say - Caution - Gravity is operating today
  • Options
    Sen. Ted Cruz says the Supreme Court was “clearly wrong” and “overreaching” when it legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1548676670575501318
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Somebody wood say that.
    I think we are just putt putting along on this….
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Beaten by a mullet.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Somebody wood say that.
    Somebody is going to flag this lot as off topic.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited July 2022

Half an hour till the big debate jamboree. I haven't felt so excited in years.

Incredible, I tell you.

Two predications, and you will see that I’m right.

Tom Tugendhat will easily win debate.

And Liz Truss will stand with her back to the audience, someone will enter stage right, turn her round at the lectern so she is facing the right way, and then exit stage right.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Beaten by a mullet.
    Not just any mullet, an Aussie mullet.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

This Government is so getting to grips with all our key concerns. Diktats like this, ensuring the NHS is working like clockwork, Johnson training to be a fighter pilot for the Ukraine Airforce in Lincolnshire yesterday and now Sunak going for ultra hard de- harmonised Brexit so we can never return cap in hand to the EU. Where do I put my cross?
    I would recommend a similar place to where Michael Palin's Molotov suggested putting an eight foot crucifix.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    Tres said:

Rail tracks have a tendency to misbehave in extreme heat.

Not just the tracks. If it is an electrified line (overhead), then the catenary has set temperatures it is designed to cope with. Go beyond that, and you end up with things like the catenary wrapped around the pantograph (catenary being the wires; the pantograph being the sticky-up thing on the train that picks up the power). And there are many other systems that suffer from high heat as well.

*Any* infrastructure has set temperature limits. Roads are the same: they have minimum and maximum temperatures. If the minimum is too high, and they lose some properties (e.g. wearing) in low temperatures. If the maximum is too low, then they melt in high temperatures. The wider the gap between min and max permissable temperatures, the greater the cost.

In the UK, -10 to +35 deg C would seem a reasonable temperature range for 99.9% of the time. How much do you extend those ranges to get to 99.99% or 99.999% of the time?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Afternoon all! My 11yr old daughter has been having sailing lessons this weekend, so needed picking up from Peterhead at 4pm. So we went out after lunch and had a wander around Slains castle. https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/crudenbay/slainscastle/index.html

This is a unique place - an imposing structure on top of sheer cliffs, a ruin for a century that you can wander around and even spiral staircases you can climb up floor after floor.

The most boggling part - it is simply there. No access control, no custodian heritage organisation, nothing to stop you falling from the top of the tower or out a window down the cliffs.

Yes, I know it well. If you have the guts to stand at the top of that tallest tower, you're braver than most. It's actually quite horrifying to be stood there with a 4 storey drop one side and the spiral staircase ready to swallow you up in the other three directions. Any feeling of faintness and you're doomed, and not a rail or a warning sign in sight.
    what would a warning say - Caution - Gravity is operating today
    I'm not arguing for more warning signs. We see far too many everywhere else. It's just striking that there aren't any at all at Slains.

It's probably a good place to spill blood. Dracula was written in Cruden Bay, with Slains forming part of the inspiration for Castle Dracula. At least there's a chance you will "rise again" after falling the four storeys...
  • Options

Sen. Ted Cruz says the Supreme Court was “clearly wrong” and “overreaching” when it legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.

The rights we now enjoy can always be reversed. AS anyone commenting on the current trans nonsense should consider.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

Yup, that's why my train was cancelled for Tuesday.
    @Sunil_Prasannan is going to be out of luck, isn't he?
    He cancelled his trip.
    FAKE NEWS!

I managed to book a seat on Wednesday's train - LNER said I could use Tuesday's ticket on that train.

Unfortunately, I had to shift my itinerararay by one day - I decided to fly back from Inverness to London on Saturday. Kyle train on Thursday unaffected, but had to book the Wick service again for Friday.

Luckily, my hotel had free cancellation, so I just re-booked the three nights until Friday night instead of Thursday night hitherto.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022

Incredible, I tell you.

And Liz Trust will stand with her back to the audience, someone will enter stage right, turn her round at the lectern so she is facing the right way, and then exit stage right.
    I'm quite impressed with Tom Tugendhat so far. He seems to have a sort of bright understated decency, and you get quite a good sense of his underlying motivations and psychological health being a bit sounder than that of many politicians.

Liz Truss could astonish us all by being good. This requires the favourite emoji of American teenagers - "popcorn".

Penny needs to pay to her strengths , and relate.

Kemi Badenoch needs to slow down a bit , and Rishi Sunak has to look just a fraction less like he's super-confident about everything.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Somebody wood say that.
    Somebody is going to flag this lot as off topic.
    The I will let lose the flying mutant lawyers…
  • Options

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

He cancelled his trip.
    FAKE NEWS!

I managed to book a seat on Wednesday's train - LNER said I could use Tuesday's ticket on that train.

Unfortunately, I had to shift my itinerararay by one day - I decided to fly back from Inverness to London on Saturday. Kyle train on Thursday unaffected, but had to book the Wick service again for Friday.

Lucikily, my hotel had free cancellation, so I just re-booked the three nights until Friday instead of Thursday.
    I'm not jealous, I'm just a delicate shade of green due to the heat.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190

Farooq said:

Yes, I know it well. If you have the guts to stand at the top of that tallest tower, you're braver than most. It's actually quite horrifying to be stood there with a 4 story drop one side and the spiral staircase ready to swallow you up in the other three directions. Any feeling of faintness and you're doomed, and not a rail or a warning sign in sight.
    And it was windy today! But at least its a solid structure. Yesterday I was filming at Findlater Castle https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/sandend/findlatercastle/index.html

There is much less of it left standing, but its much more of a challenge. There used to be a drawbridge from the clifftop across to the promontory it was built on. Long gone, and the path is scrambly in places with no room for error. Then when you get there you're in rooms that are full of holes in the floor and drops out over the cliff if you start to slide...
    I passed that on my coastal walk (I think it's technically the *new* Slains Castle? - the 'old'' one is further north?) and it seems so perfect for restoration. It is crying out for renovation and reuse.

I loved it. I only explored it for a few minutes as I was walking on, but it was so atmospheric.

So: better as a ruin, or restored for reuse? Would Eilean Donan be better as a ruin or restored?
    Leave it be. There are literally dozens of castles to chose from. The ruins are something different, and wandering round you get to see how they built it - remains of floor joists and the sockets they used to go into, remains of fireplaces where you stare up the chimney etc.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    The idiot Raab really did say all that nonsense about "enjoying the sunshine" tomorrow, didn't he? Granted, coming from the current Government it sounded plausible that it might be the case, but I nevertheless thought he might've been misreported.

God, enough morons are going to try to go out and sunbathe in it and end up dead or overburdening the hospitals, without senior members of the Government offering encouragement. Which part of the level four health warning ("illness and death may occur among the fit and healthy, and not just in high-risk groups") did he not understand?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Metro
    @MetroUK
    Yesterday

I expect the tube will be pretty awful in the heat, buses too, rail is running at reduced speed, and sitting in a car running the AC quite popular.

The origins of today’s deeper-seated problems date to 1890, when the first deep tunnels were built under the Thames from Stockwell to the City, on what is now known as the Northern Line. More tunnels bored at depths below 20 metres followed over the next century - on the Bakerloo, Central, Victoria, Waterloo & City, Jubilee and Piccadilly lines - to form today’s Deep Tube network.

Temperatures were initially cool, and matched the ambient heat of the earth surrounding the tunnels (around 14°C in 1900). But that was before millions of passengers and a service frequency unimaginable to Victorian and Edwardian planners were added to the mix.

Unbeknown to 19th century engineers, up to 79% of energy dissipated by trains, people and infrastructure is transferred to London’s native clay around the tunnel bores - thus the temperature of this giant heat sink has slowly climbed to today’s balmy average of 20-25°C.

Without the valuable gift of hindsight, LU’s early engineers failed to provide adequate ventilation to dissipate this heat, and mid-tunnel shafts were either too few in number or non-existent.

They were also built far too narrow - 12ft as opposed to 16ft, meaning you now have teeny-weeny trains wending their way as far away from Central London as Heathrow (Piccadilly line only), Epping, Stanmore, Edgware and Morden.

One early tube railway that was built to 16ft was the Northern City Line between Finsbury Park and Moorgate. So at least that, along with the new Elizabeth Line, has proper-sized trains. Oh and an honorable mention for the main-line Heathrow stations opened between 1998 and 2008.
    100 years ago they widened one of the Northern Line tunnels - amazingly, between trains. Until one of the tunnels collapsed. Only then did they close the line completely to do the work...

https://www.eurogunzel.com/2022/01/enlarging-the-tunnels-of-the-city-and-south-london-railway/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I told you all the cool kids had mullets this summer.....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sticky out ear boy on London forecast saying 41 likely

Happy with my betting position evens on max 40 to 42, 11.5 to beat 42. 40+ is nailed on so a tenner on each is effectively a free bet on the higher number and 42 doesn't seem entirely out of reach if 41 forecast
  • Options

Farooq said:

Yes, I know it well. If you have the guts to stand at the top of that tallest tower, you're braver than most. It's actually quite horrifying to be stood there with a 4 story drop one side and the spiral staircase ready to swallow you up in the other three directions. Any feeling of faintness and you're doomed, and not a rail or a warning sign in sight.
    And it was windy today! But at least its a solid structure. Yesterday I was filming at Findlater Castle https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/sandend/findlatercastle/index.html

There is much less of it left standing, but its much more of a challenge. There used to be a drawbridge from the clifftop across to the promontory it was built on. Long gone, and the path is scrambly in places with no room for error. Then when you get there you're in rooms that are full of holes in the floor and drops out over the cliff if you start to slide...
    I passed that on my coastal walk (I think it's technically the *new* Slains Castle? - the 'old'' one is further north?) and it seems so perfect for restoration. It is crying out for renovation and reuse.

I loved it. I only explored it for a few minutes as I was walking on, but it was so atmospheric.

So: better as a ruin, or restored for reuse? Would Eilean Donan be better as a ruin or restored?
    Leave it be. There are literally dozens of castles to chose from. The ruins are something different, and wandering round you get to see how they built it - remains of floor joists and the sockets they used to go into, remains of fireplaces where you stare up the chimney etc.
    I actually disagree. There are many dozens of ruins, and they all cost money to upkeep. If you can, rebuild and reimagine the ones that can serve a new purpose - exactly like Eilean Donan was a century or more ago. Build a 21st Century castle based on the Victorian reimaging of the original 17th-Century castle. After all, it's not the first time it has been rebuilt.

Structures without a purpose are pointless (although that 'purpose' can be heritage or tourism).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    pigeon said:

The idiot Raab really did say all that nonsense about "enjoying the sunshine" tomorrow, didn't he? Granted, coming from the current Government it sounded plausible that it might be the case, but I nevertheless thought he might've been misreported.

God, enough morons are going to try to go out and sunbathe in it and end up dead or overburdening the hospitals, without senior members of the Government offering encouragement. Which part of the level four health warning ("illness and death may occur among the fit and healthy, and not just in high-risk groups") did he not understand?

My local news just had head of regional ambulance service (already on Black Alert) saying they are already swamped with dehydration cases even though that is something that is "entirely preventable".

And this is the day before the Furnace of Hell arrives.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

He hadn't fully appreciated the importance of high ambient temps
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953

Interestingly, the area where there is the biggest gap between the old and the young on the Religious Right is homosexuality.

Young Christians have gay friends. They may hate abortion, but they are much more accepting of homosexual lifestyles than their parents. And they don't even have a strong dislike of gay marriage (at least not like @Mick_Pork and aliases.)

According to Pew, acceptance of homosexuality in the US has moved from 51% to 72% in a little more than two decades.

It is also worth noting that the current Supreme Court appears to be significantly more pro-homosexuality than pro-choice. Neil Gorsuch authored (and Roberts and the liberals joined in concurrence) in the 2019 decision that extended workplace discrimination law to to include gay and transgender people.

So, I'd be surprised if the Supreme Court decided to reopen this issue.

Cynically, I think this is Ted Cruz trying to find another culture war issue to run with.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Kemi is quite titchy isn't she?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,209

Farooq said:

Slains was one of the inspirations for Dracula since Bram Stoker had been a visitor. Honestly there are more castles in the North East than we really know what to do with. Some do get restored by some determined, wealthy or mildly demented folk, but Slains particularly is a very atmospheric ruin (mostly I guess because it is not much more than 100 years ago since it became a ruin).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited July 2022
    Cheeseiest intro ever by Rishi, Liz a bit robotic, Tugendhat honest and to the point, Mordaunt a bit hesitant, Badenoch clear
  • Options

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

He cancelled his trip.
    FAKE NEWS!

Luckily, my hotel had free cancellation, so I just re-booked the three nights until Friday night instead of Thursday night hitherto.
    Fly?

FLY?

You have immediately lost all your railway cred. You should have taken the train or, for more points, the sleeper. ;)
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    A minute in, and Nurse Ratched can already fuck off.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Rishi's introduction made me think I had signed up for Love Island by mistake.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited July 2022
    Haha, the ITV start is hilarious. Getting the candidates to introduce themselves in pompous fashion with dramatic music banging in the background really made me chuckle.

Also, since when was 2 years 7 months ago 'just over 2 years ago'.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    pigeon said:

oh calm down FGS
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

He cancelled his trip.
    FAKE NEWS!

Fly?

FLY?

You have immediately lost all your railway cred. You should have taken the train or, for more points, the sleeper. ;)
    Definitely the sleeper. In the seats. Seven nights in a row. That's what I used to do.
  • Options

Incredible, I tell you.

And Liz Trust will stand with her back to the audience, someone will enter stage right, turn her round at the lectern so she is facing the right way, and then exit stage right.
    I'm quite impressed with Tom Tugendhat so far. He seems to have a sort of bright understated decency, and you get quite a good sense of his underlying motivations and psychological health being a bit sounder than that of many politicians.

Liz Truss could astonish us all by being good. This requires the favourite emoji of American teenagers - "popcorn".

Penny needs to pay to her strengths , and relate.

Kemi Badenoch needs to slow down a bit , and Rishi Sunak has to look just a fraction less like he's super-confident about everything.
    I reckon Tom is now the value bet at 110.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324

Betfair next prime minister
    2.76 Rishi Sunak 36%
    2.9 Penny Mordaunt 34%
    6.6 Liz Truss 15%
    7.6 Kemi Badenoch 13%
    95 Tom Tugendhat
    130 Dominic Raab

To make the final two
    1.09 Rishi Sunak 92%
    1.5 Penny Mordaunt 67%
    3.05 Liz Truss 33%
    5.3 Kemi Badenoch 19%
    48 Tom Tugendhat

Next PM
    2.58 Rishi Sunak 39%
    3.3 Penny Mordaunt 30%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    8.4 Kemi Badenoch 12%
    110 Dominic Raab
    110 Tom Tugendhat

Next Con leader
    2.58 Rishi Sunak 39%
    3.45 Penny Mordaunt 29%
    4.8 Liz Truss 21%
    8.2 Kemi Badenoch 12%
    100 Tom Tugendhat

To make the final two
    1.07 Rishi Sunak 93%
    1.55 Penny Mordaunt 65%
    2.62 Liz Truss 38%
    5.8 Kemi Badenoch 17%
    90 Tom Tugendhat

ETA we've mentioned this before but it is worth noting there is not enough money in these markets for the bot-writers to link them, so occasionally odd gaps open up.
    Pre-debate Betfair.

Next PM
    2.54 Rishi Sunak 39%
    3.25 Penny Mordaunt 31%
    5.7 Liz Truss 18%
    8.8 Kemi Badenoch 11%
    100 Tom Tugendhat
    150 Dominic Raab

Next Con Leader
    2.5 Rishi Sunak 40%
    3.15 Penny Mordaunt 32%
    5.5 Liz Truss 18%
    8.6 Kemi Badenoch 12%
    110 Tom Tugendhat

To make the final two
    1.08 Rishi Sunak 93%
    1.66 Penny Mordaunt 60%
    2.64 Liz Truss 38%
    5.6 Kemi Badenoch 18%
    60 Tom Tugendhat
  • Options
    Liz in red - she’s a socialist!
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Metro
    @MetroUK
    Yesterday

100 years ago they widened one of the Northern Line tunnels - amazingly, between trains. Until one of the tunnels collapsed. Only then did they close the line completely to do the work...

https://www.eurogunzel.com/2022/01/enlarging-the-tunnels-of-the-city-and-south-london-railway/
    Yes, the CSLR was built to considerably less than 12ft when it first opened!

If I had unlimited power and resources, I would re-bore the whole bally lot of the Bakerloo, Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, and the Waterloo & City lines to 16ft.

Um, if I had unlimited power and resources!
  • Options
    has he seen the pictures of he shirtless Putin on horseback? Does he think that's (ahem) totally straight? ;)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

None of them seem very tall, maybe 5' 8" max.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    Pulpstar said:

Metro
    @MetroUK
    Yesterday

More likely to get caught underground in a stalled train in London that in most of rest of UK?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I am sure there is a Maggie precedent
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm sure one of our regular PBers predicted she would be in red for 2nd debate earlier this week?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    This really is a crap format.

Very.. American?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Good job Simon Clarke isn't standing in this race....It would be Gulliver visits Liliput.
  • Options
    I'm going to watch on ITV+1 - so I'm dipping out for a bit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

But it is all muscle.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Good job Simon Clarke isn't standing in this race....
    He's definitely not getting the Chancellor gig if Rishi wins.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Truss hits Sunak on raising tax
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Kemi's hair is down.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Fight!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited July 2022
    Some distinction is being drawn by the candidates between "cost of living" and "inflation" that seems largely meaningless to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Liz: You[Sunak] have raised taxes, but I opposed it

Me: But you think Boris was as great Prime Minister, and he must have supported that. And you would have been happy to defend it to keep your Cabinet seat.

I get the impression it will be gang up on Rishi - candidates are competing to get the anti-RIshi vote.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Blue on Blue fight!
  • Options

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

He cancelled his trip.
    FAKE NEWS!

Have great trip and enjoy those final bits of yellow-penning. Not quite the same as going to Kyle behind a Class 26, but it isn't 1982.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Farooq said:

Truss looks ill. Someone joked about her shitting herself on stage. It's not 100% guaranteed not to happen.

This is the kind of hard hitting analysis I come here for
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,127
    HYUFD said:

Truss hits Sunak on raising tax

Mordaunt is right on the need for immediate action. It’s just blether at the moment.
  • Options
    Labour are going to have a great time using this footage of the candidates attacking each other in their election broadcasts.
  • Options

They should do an ITV-1, then you could tell us how it went?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

tlg86 said:

I'm sure one of our regular PBers predicted she would be in red for 2nd debate earlier this week?
    That was me… but I was joking that’s she would look like a vampire.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I called it yesterday!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Truss looks ill. Someone joked about her shitting herself on stage. It's not 100% guaranteed not to happen.

Liz Truss talks like she is French. Short, regular phrases with pauses in between, which sounds wrong.
  • Options

Farooq said:

With Leon banned, this is as good as it gets!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552

Somewhere beyond admitting error: Louisiana Governor Earl Long -- for whom words like "colorful", and "eccentric", are insufficient -- once campaigned promising no new taxes. After inauguration, he immediately called for a tax increase.

When reporters contfronted him about this, he said, simply: "Boys, I lied!" Which, I have to admit with some embarrassment, I like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Long

Casting Paul Newman to play Uncle Earl in "Blaze" was arguably even more ridiculous than Sean Penn portraying "Willie Stark" (aka The Kingfish, Earl's big bro Huey) in the movie remake of "All the King's Men".
  • Options
    Sunak compares Penny to Corbin. That should kill of Penny’s chances.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538

This seems like the kind of evening in London where someone will be having a giant public barbecue in a public park. If I head towards Primrose Hill way I expect to spell the waft of charcoal-grilling chicken and live music.

You'll probably see Leon atop Primrose Hill, arms aloft, screaming: "PB, let me back in!".
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Very.. American?

What format would be better?

Rishi is going to spend a lot of time trying to get back in, after being attacked. Kemi was at least kinder by admitting no easy choices.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I did!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Rishi saying Truss and Penny going further than Jeremy Corbyn!
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703

Very.. American?

Seems a bit punchier than C4’s effort.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Sunak having loads of fun calling his opponents socialists and Corbynites.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

See also Tom Cruise. Shorties apparently look good on camera cos their heads are disproportionately big
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Corbyn lives rent free in these people’s heads
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

They should do an ITV-1, then you could tell us how it went?
    It would come in handy for the horseracing as well.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Rishi saying Truss and Penny going further than Jeremy Corbyn!

So they're continuity Johnson?
  • Options
    Truss comes over as quite cold.
  • Options
    OrkaOrka Posts: 10
    IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Banned???
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

Very.. American?

Seems a bit punchier than C4’s effort.
    ITV only has an hour before Murder in Provence, so they have to keep it moving.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Kemi spot on about the BoE.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    Cruel, but..

• Options
    Sunak defending the BoE. Booo!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441
    Truss: and that’s why I….. [awkward pause] would do a goodjob [awkward grimace]”.

I’ve seen molasses with more fluidity.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Wait until someone mentions cheese, then she gets really passionate.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I think Truss comes across as pretty confident.

Though she did just criticise low growth for decades, so another one who cannot remember who has been in power for so long. As Tom points out.

Sunak trying a bit too hard to do his 'only adult in the room' schtick I think.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

He cancelled his trip.
    FAKE NEWS!

Have great trip and enjoy those final bits of yellow-penning. Not quite the same as going to Kyle behind a Class 26, but it isn't 1982.
    Thanks - just hoping the Inverness LNER doesn't have a SIX hour delay like it did last Monday (sans-heatwave).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Kemi spot on about the BoE.

Nice for this to actually be discussed for once. I don’t agree with Rishi’s assessment of the BoE. It’s no good saying they’ve done a good job when inflation is at 10%.
  • Options
    Taz said:

She’s fresh out of the freezer
  • Options
    Investment, innovation, and education aye.
  • Options
    Orka said:

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Banned???
    I’m relatively new here but older heads seem to think he has had many banned Accounts here and always rejoined so he will probably be back soon. Won’t he 🤫
This discussion has been closed.