Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak just edging it at the moment in the betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

Penny Mordaunt says she will give money to MPs directly to spend on worthy projects on their patch.

MPs will like that

I am sure that there is zero chance of this increasing waste or corruption.
    It is pretty much what happens in Italy. Guaranteed corruption and waste is the result.

She really is Boris in a dress.

(She has now pissed off the Stonewall/Pink News crowd by claiming, wrongly, that she did not support self-ID when she was one of its biggest proponents when she was a Minister. So she has managed to annoy both sides of the argument.)

Is it too much to want people with some good judgment and without the propensity to lie all the time?

Apparently so.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited July 2022

Penny Mordaunt says her "monetary policy will be about controlling inflation" - that will be news to Andrew Bailey, who probably thought that [it is] was his job

FTFY.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Gender of next Con leader

Woman 1.77
    Man 1.86
  • Options
    Oh Penny why couldn’t you just stay out of the woke stuff.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

Penny Mordaunt pledges to run surplus annual budgets, after saying debt will "fall as percentage of GDP over time".

Only two ways to do that - cut spending or spur serious levels of economic growth in very tough economic circumstances

There is a third way. Always run the surplus budgets the year after next.
    Otherwise known as Brownian economics. Books balanced over a never ending cycle.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

On the subject of racism, xenophobia and brexit...

My own view is that the 'woke' thing gained momentum because of the obvious racism and xenophobia apparent around the time of Brexit. Similarly with the election of Trump. It was the response of the left following its electoral failures. Suddenly people were thinking: "right, we've got to crack down on hate crime and xenophobia because everything we tried before failed". And so we ended up with overwhelming support for BLM and the trashing of statues 4 years later, and the cancellation of people who were considered to be vaguely racist or xenophobic. As a result the Faragist right, believing that they had waltzed to victory and the future was theirs; were ultimately ruined; to the point where the Centophah could be trashed and the vote leave government were terrified to do anything. Its elderly supporters could only huff and puff in wetherspoons and gradually die out; whilst the left exerted control of the entire media, as well as all the main political parties, with the tories ultimately co-opting a large part of its agenda.

I think Badenoch is a very exciting candidate, because she represents a kind of resolution to all of the above. Clearly anti racist and also clearly anti woke. But of course, this should not be the only factor in deciding on who is PM.

I voted Remain (narrowly) but I don't agree about racism and xenophobia around the time of Brexit. People were mostly voting against the elitism and remoteness of the EU and in favour of national politics. Matthew Goodwin's analysis is correct IMO.
  • Options

Penny Mordaunt says her "monetary policy will be about controlling inflation" - that will be news to Andrew Bailey, who probably thought that [it is] was his job

FTFY.
    I remember how good Andrew Bailey was supposed to be when he started.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Penny Mordaunt warns her Tory colleagues that she will be more popular than Liz a truss with voters

“I’m your best shot at winning the next election - I’m the candidate Labour fear most”

'Even I fear me i'm so fantastic'
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,718
    From that Daisley piece:

Suella Boomerman might appeal to certain Tory demographics but she has neither the insight nor the savvy of a prime minister.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/does-suella-braverman-understand-welfare-
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158

If you are short of a platitude then Penny has plenty to offer

So who would you support? Just so we can compare platitudes....
    I don't support any of them.
  • Options

FTFY.
    Do you?

I can't remember a single person saying a good thing about him when he was appointed.
  • Options
    Gender of next Lab leader

Woman 1.54
    Man 2.22
  • Options
    It is incredibly depressing that they have to ask people what a woman is now
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,658
    Were I the Labour Party, I think I'd fear Mordaunt the most too. But then that's not necessarily a good way of picking a party leader.
  • Options

FTFY.
    Do you?

I can't remember a single person saying a good thing about him when he was appointed.
    I always said he would be crap. Right again

• Options

algarkirk said:

So I plan to move away from a policy of fixed entitlements to tax-free childcare, and instead create a new system of personalised budgets that will allow every child to access their entitlement to subsidised childcare at a time most suited to their family needs.

Mordaunt's wheeze. Otherwise known as massively clunky additional bureaucratically incompetent nightmare on top of all the other governmental complexities besetting parents of small children who don't happen to be quite rich.

I keep thinking of the LD's 'skills wallet' for some reason, which sank without trace with nice Jo Swinson.

I feel like she hasn’t thought this idea through.

She has no idea how much a personalised childcare budget costs, does she?

Christ!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Penny Mordaunt says her "monetary policy will be about controlling inflation" - that will be news to Andrew Bailey, who probably thought that was his job

If only he did...
    Sacking Bailey would be my first move as PM. He failed in his job at the FCA and has been ridiculously rewarded for that failure.
    Not sure who would replace him, but he needs to go as he should never ever have got the job in the first place.
    Agree. Mark Carney was one of the very best Governors who Osborne worked really hard to get. One of the many reasons for that is that he came from outside the Bank. Bailey was a very poor appointment and has failed miserably. We need someone from outside the Bank groupthink to help steer us through the difficult waters ahead.
  • Options

Oh Penny why couldn’t you just stay out of the woke stuff.

Her twin brother is an activist.
  • Options

FTFY.
    Do you?

I always said he would be crap. Right again

I don't recall anyone disagreeing with you.

He was roundly scorned upon when he was appointment. I don't remember anyone saying he was a good pick.
  • Options

Were I the Labour Party, I think I'd fear Mordaunt the most too. But then that's not necessarily a good way of picking a party leader.

I don’t think Labour fears any of them hugely but I agree that Penny is the one most likely to win another election.

Assuming she resolves CoL
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,547

Penny Mordaunt says she will give money to MPs directly to spend on worthy projects on their patch.

MPs will like that

That sort of clientelism is a blight on Irish and American politics.
    And is a cost effective, totally disgusting way of bribing voters with their own money.

• Options

Penny Mordaunt says her "monetary policy will be about controlling inflation" - that will be news to Andrew Bailey, who probably thought that was his job

She must’ve missed the news that Gordon Brown gave the Bank of England independence.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,518
    edited July 2022
    Stereodog said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

Re the racism discussion FPT:

There are definitely large pockets of closet racism dotted around the country. Usually in very white areas where there is little contact with, or experience of, black or ethnic people.

Many of those with racist views know better than to express those views too openly, and I expect that adds to their feelings of threat and alienation.

It slips out from time to time though, like the woman whose house we went to look at to potentially buy who whispered to us that it was a nice area with 'no blacks or asians nearby'.

Sure, it's an anecdote but not an isolated one.

I should just add re racism and Leave, that I fully acknowledge that the majority of those who voted leave, and certainly those on here, are not racist.

I think racism is universal, there are just varying levels of self-awareness of it. We are probably just wired to make judgements about people based on physical characteristics and it is unlikely that we can actually be rewired to work a different way. We can try.

(edited)
    I think that if a multi racial society is to actually succeed, there needs to be a bit more realism about our human flaws. You also need to tackle racism not just by white people, but between other racial groups. There is not much sign of this type of thinking taking place on the left, it will probably have to come from the political right.
    I don't think racism is universal, though I think xenophobia (in the classic meaning of the word) can be. Fear of the unknown is more universal and real than either racism or homosexuality etc which are both dated concepts that can and should be both tackled and allowed fade away.

Children that grow up in a mixed race environment, without racist parents or adult influences, won't "naturally" be racist, because the very concept would be alien to them. If all your life you've had white, brown and yellow skinned friends then the idea of racism should be as absurd as being "naturally" discriminatory against people who have yellow, brown or red hair.
    But this is the problem with identity politics. It encourages people to continually 'deconstruct' multiracial societies to look for racism. There is no utopia at the end of it, just permanent conflict; which ultimately actually weakens the society when considered as a whole.
    Sadly a lot of people don't have to look too far to encounter racism. My wife is Asian so I am aware that society still has a long way to go, although of course it has changed a lot since the 70s/80s where getting called a p*** was almost expected.
    If I was married to a white woman I am sure I would be more likely to think that racism existed in people's head and that people trying to address it were actually prolonging it. But based on what I see, through my wife's experiences, I simply don't think that is the case.
    I would also note that the progress we have made as a society so far has come from people actively fighting against racism. So if we want that progress to continue, then I think the fight has to continue.
    My husband is ethnically Chinese (although actually Canadian) and being with him you notice quite a bit of what I call angry racism. Hardly anyone is unpleasant when they’re relaxed but when something annoys or frightens them it comes out. Recently an older man thought we were taking too long paying for something and I heard him say f***ing chinks under his breath. It was the same during the initial stages of COVID.
    My mixed-race niece was recently not allowed a drink in a bar in Nottingham and was told to leave. It was just her and her white friend, they weren't drunk, it wasn't late, there was seemingly no reason why the bar manager refused to serve them. A bit shocked they left but my niece was really annoyed - as you would be - so they went back to try and find out what the problem was.

She asked the bar manager why he wouldn't serve them, saying we're not drunk, there's just two of us, we're not disruptive, etc, etc. The bar manager just said 'I don't have to give you a reason why I'm not serving you, leave now'.

My niece turned to one of the blokes sat at the bar and said 'Is this a racial thing?' He replied 'Yes, absolutely it is, you had better leave. Now'.

That was a couple of weeks ago in the centre of Nottingham, a city with a very mixed population. My niece grew up in West Yorkshire, a part of it where pretty much everyone's white, and she's never had anything like that happen to her before round here.

It's disgusting that these things still happen.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

If only he did...
    Sacking Bailey would be my first move as PM. He failed in his job at the FCA and has been ridiculously rewarded for that failure.
    Not sure who would replace him, but he needs to go as he should never ever have got the job in the first place.
    Agree. Mark Carney was one of the very best Governors who Osborne worked really hard to get. One of the many reasons for that is that he came from outside the Bank. Bailey was a very poor appointment and has failed miserably. We need someone from outside the Bank groupthink to help steer us through the difficult waters ahead.
    People said Carney was crap too!

Mostly because as usual he was right about Brexit
  • Options

How incredibly depressing that it's a contested concept and "adult human female" now comes in for criticism.

Funny how the same problem isn't encountered by men...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Penny Mordaunt “Margaret Thatcher said every PM needs a Willy - well a woman like me doesn’t have one”

You do know that the "Willy" in question was another politician - Willie Whitelaw?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    I can’t see Rishi not getting to the last two.
    I think he’s pretty transfer friendly. I think plenty of MPs will find reasons not to transfer to Kemi or Penny. Penny and Rishi previously had the benefit of being blank slates onto whom MPs could project their hopes and dreams. That’s a great position to be in. But as soon as you start saying something, you start alienating people, and when you haven’t yet said much, small things assume big importance.
    Rishi meanwhile has had plenty of opportunity to alienate people but MPs can be fairly sure they know most things about him and his position and are able to view it rather more holistically. He may be less exciting (this could be the magic bullet: the candidate who articulates everything I want in a way which will also convince the electorate!), but he becomes safer (I know most things about him and there’s nothing too much there to worry about).

To me, at least, the more I hear of Penny, the more I like Rishi. I am at least fairly sure I know what Rishi’s main faults are (not disassociating himself earlier from Boris and a failure to understand small and medium business).

I don’t want it to be either of the other three and I’d expect them to be the next three to drop out.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    algarkirk said:

I don't like Penny's "gonna" for "going to"

Have you any idea what a Pandora's box you are opening? Where on earth do you start? Even the literate Rajan says "twenny" for 20. The glottal stop has spread as far as the grey squirrel....I could go on.

I blame that Tony Blair....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,995
  • Options
    Selebian said:

MPs will like that

All MPs or only Con MPs? :wink:

If only we had some existing way for people to vote on local spending of government budgets. Groups of people elected to decide that, maybe. They could have meetings. We could call them councils :innocent:

A recipe for corruption and accusations of corruption
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

If only he did...
    Bring back Mark Carney.

If not, give it to George Osborne.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

So I plan to move away from a policy of fixed entitlements to tax-free childcare, and instead create a new system of personalised budgets that will allow every child to access their entitlement to subsidised childcare at a time most suited to their family needs.

Mordaunt's wheeze. Otherwise known as massively clunky additional bureaucratically incompetent nightmare on top of all the other governmental complexities besetting parents of small children who don't happen to be quite rich.

I keep thinking of the LD's 'skills wallet' for some reason, which sank without trace with nice Jo Swinson.

I feel like she hasn’t thought this idea through.

She has no idea how much a personalised childcare budget costs, does she?

Christ!
    Why are so many senior Conservatives economically illiterate? They want to simultaneously cut taxes and massively increase administrative costs.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Its become very polarised. People are people whatever. But sadly for some there are issues, such as women not wanting to have sex with trans-women. No one should be forced to have sex with anyone, yet somehow this became an issue.

And safety.

So now the question is the latest in the long line of

How much is a pint of milk/loaf of bread?
    Should gay people be allowed to marry?

Etc etc
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

I don't like Penny's "gonna" for "going to"

Have you any idea what a Pandora's box you are opening? Where on earth do you start? Even the literate Rajan says "twenny" for 20. The glottal stop has spread as far as the grey squirrel....I could go on.

Even Rajan?

I've been criticising his poor diction since he joined the Today team. His is definitely performative
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Scott_xP said:
    He borrowed a soapbox from Jim Murphy?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Platforms.

I'm always happy to discuss footwear.
  • Options

Penny Mordaunt warns her Tory colleagues that she will be more popular than Liz a truss with voters

“I’m your best shot at winning the next election - I’m the candidate Labour fear most”

It is a very valid point to make.

"Vote for me - or lose your job"!!!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Stereodog said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

There are definitely large pockets of closet racism dotted around the country. Usually in very white areas where there is little contact with, or experience of, black or ethnic people.

Many of those with racist views know better than to express those views too openly, and I expect that adds to their feelings of threat and alienation.

It slips out from time to time though, like the woman whose house we went to look at to potentially buy who whispered to us that it was a nice area with 'no blacks or asians nearby'.

I should just add re racism and Leave, that I fully acknowledge that the majority of those who voted leave, and certainly those on here, are not racist.

I think racism is universal, there are just varying levels of self-awareness of it. We are probably just wired to make judgements about people based on physical characteristics and it is unlikely that we can actually be rewired to work a different way. We can try.

(edited)
    I think that if a multi racial society is to actually succeed, there needs to be a bit more realism about our human flaws. You also need to tackle racism not just by white people, but between other racial groups. There is not much sign of this type of thinking taking place on the left, it will probably have to come from the political right.
    I don't think racism is universal, though I think xenophobia (in the classic meaning of the word) can be. Fear of the unknown is more universal and real than either racism or homosexuality etc which are both dated concepts that can and should be both tackled and allowed fade away.

Children that grow up in a mixed race environment, without racist parents or adult influences, won't "naturally" be racist, because the very concept would be alien to them. If all your life you've had white, brown and yellow skinned friends then the idea of racism should be as absurd as being "naturally" discriminatory against people who have yellow, brown or red hair.
    But this is the problem with identity politics. It encourages people to continually 'deconstruct' multiracial societies to look for racism. There is no utopia at the end of it, just permanent conflict; which ultimately actually weakens the society when considered as a whole.
    Sadly a lot of people don't have to look too far to encounter racism. My wife is Asian so I am aware that society still has a long way to go, although of course it has changed a lot since the 70s/80s where getting called a p*** was almost expected.
    If I was married to a white woman I am sure I would be more likely to think that racism existed in people's head and that people trying to address it were actually prolonging it. But based on what I see, through my wife's experiences, I simply don't think that is the case.
    I would also note that the progress we have made as a society so far has come from people actively fighting against racism. So if we want that progress to continue, then I think the fight has to continue.
    My husband is ethnically Chinese (although actually Canadian) and being with him you notice quite a bit of what I call angry racism. Hardly anyone is unpleasant when they’re relaxed but when something annoys or frightens them it comes out. Recently an older man thought we were taking too long paying for something and I heard him say f***ing chinks under his breath. It was the same during the initial stages of COVID.
    My mixed-race niece was recently not allowed a drink in a bar in Nottingham and was told to leave. It was just her and her white friend, they weren't drunk, it wasn't late, there was seemingly no reason why the bar manager refused to serve them. A bit shocked they left but my niece was really annoyed - as you would be - so they went back to try and find out what the problem was.

She asked the bar manager why he wouldn't serve them, saying we're not drunk, there's just two of us, we're not disruptive, etc, etc. The bar manager just said 'I don't have to give you a reason why I'm not serving you, leave now'.

My niece turned to one of the blokes sat at the bar and said 'Is this a racial thing?' He replied 'Yes, absolutely it is, you had better leave. Now'.

That was a couple of weeks ago in the centre of Nottingham, a city with a very mixed population. My niece grew up in West Yorkshire, a part of it where pretty much everyone's white, and she's never had anything like that happen to her before round here.

Sounds awful. Probably not worth the hassle to report to the police, but it really should be.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2022
    Good thinking. She and Braverman are interchangable

(though one or two on here seem to be excited by her skin colour)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

If only he did...
    Bring back Mark Carney.

Or simply TAKE BACK CONTROL and make the chancellor responsible for monetary policy.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Platforms.

There's platforms. And then there's Slade tribute acts....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Cookie said:

I can’t see Rishi not getting to the last two.
    I think he’s pretty transfer friendly. I think plenty of MPs will find reasons not to transfer to Kemi or Penny. Penny and Rishi previously had the benefit of being blank slates onto whom MPs could project their hopes and dreams. That’s a great position to be in. But as soon as you start saying something, you start alienating people, and when you haven’t yet said much, small things assume big importance.
    Rishi meanwhile has had plenty of opportunity to alienate people but MPs can be fairly sure they know most things about him and his position and are able to view it rather more holistically. He may be less exciting (this could be the magic bullet: the candidate who articulates everything I want in a way which will also convince the electorate!), but he becomes safer (I know most things about him and there’s nothing too much there to worry about).

To me, at least, the more I hear of Penny, the more I like Rishi. I am at least fairly sure I know what Rishi’s main faults are (not disassociating himself earlier from Boris and a failure to understand small and medium business).

I don’t want it to be either of the other three and I’d expect them to be the next three to drop out.

Yeah. She's the candidate Labour fear most because she's a blank slate thus far.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    If Penny wins (which I think she will), Labour would be better to hand Reeves the leadership.

Penny vs Rachel would be excellent.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,135

Roger said:

Is "All the racists voted Leave" a chapter in Jews Don't Count?

What does that mean? A looks like a complete non sequiteur
    Sequitur

It means that lots of antisemites voted Remain
    Any numbers on that?
    Presumably using PB Tory logic(sic), the existence of Corbyn, their favourite Lexiteer and excuse for voting for BJ, suggests lots of antisemites also voted Leave.
  • Options

It is a very valid point to make.

"Vote for me - or lose your job"!!!
    But what happens at the GE?
  • Options
    O/T - This is pretty huge.

On 12 July 2022, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) launched an investigation under section 25 of the Competition Act 1998 (‘CA98’) into suspected infringements of the Chapter I prohibition of the CA98 by companies involved in the production and broadcasting of sports content.

The investigation relates to the purchase by these companies of freelance services which support the production and broadcasting of sports content in the UK.

The CMA is investigating suspected breaches of competition law by at least the following: BT Group PLC, IMG Media Limited (including Premier League Productions), ITV PLC, and Sky UK Limited.

At this stage the CMA believes it has reasonable grounds to suspect one or more breaches of competition law. The CMA has not reached a view as to whether there is sufficient evidence of an infringement of competition law for it to issue a statement of objections to any party or parties. Not all cases result in the CMA issuing a statement of objections and no assumption should be made at this stage that the CA98 has been infringed.

https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/suspected-anti-competitive-behaviour-relating-to-the-purchase-of-freelance-services-in-the-production-and-broadcasting-of-sports-content
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903

Adult human female. It’s not difficult.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    Scott_xP said:

Sounds like Tom Tug is about to take a big swing at Rishi over his refusal to promise defence spending increase. Has called a snap press conference.

I wonder if he's annoyed about Rishi lending Hunt some voters. If Hunt had gone, Tugend would be looking stronger now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited July 2022

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

If only he did...
    Bring back Mark Carney.

He might be 82 years old, but I think Ken Clarke would be the best governor. He's seen it all before at the sharp end.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2022
    Penny is basically the Starmer of the leadership contest so far. So that puts her in a good position to win

Better speaker than Starmer
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    John Major....
  • Options
    My favourite line of Penny's this morning was 'we are going to modernise government with the white heat of modernisation' which got a round of applause.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,518

Stereodog said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

(edited)

Sounds awful. Probably not worth the hassle to report to the police, but it really should be.
    No she hasn't bothered to report it. She and loads of her mates have left them terrible reviews on social media and the like, but it probably won't change anything.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    John Major....
    That's where Mr Murphy got his from in the first place!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,296

I don’t think Labour fears any of them hugely but I agree that Penny is the one most likely to win another election.

Assuming she resolves CoL
    I'm not a Labour supporter, but as a leftie I think I currently most fear Badenoch and Braverman for what they might do in the two and a bit years before the next GE, though I have done worries about Sunak in relation to Ukraine.

I find it very hard to judge which of them has the best chance of winning the election, so that isn't really a feature of my thinking.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

If only he did...
    Bring back Mark Carney.

Or simply TAKE BACK CONTROL and make the chancellor responsible for monetary policy.
    But given how political some chancellors are that might not be a very good idea.

They'd delay rate rises and if rate rises means screwing the housing/landlord markets then it isn't happening.

Bailey's rubbish, honestly, he should be claiming JSA after he left the FCA.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:
    This a composite photo. I think Jeremy Hunt is a lot taller than any of the others.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

If only he did...
    Bring back Mark Carney.

He might be 82 years old, but I think Ken Clarke would be the best governor. He's seen it all before at the sharp end.
    Absolutely, bona fide Thatcherite too.

Remember he also once put up interest rates right before a Tory conference, he would do the right thing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:
    Standing on the shoulders of giants (Daniel Kawczynski just out of shot)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Above, aye, that was my first thought.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    Electorally I think Truss would do well in the red wall, Penny better for the blue/yellow one. Rishi somewhere in between.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Platforms.

There's platforms. And then there's Slade tribute acts....
    Speaking of which, I wonder if he’ll be blasting out a toon..

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    So, did Spend-a-Penny put any figures on this child care proposal or say how it would be funded?

Also not impressed with the MP-Cash policy which just seems like an open invitation for local corruption.
  • Options

My favourite line of Penny's this morning was 'we are going to modernise government with the white heat of modernisation' which got a round of applause.

Some of us remember who came up with that notion in the first place ...
  • Options

O/T - This is pretty huge.

On 12 July 2022, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) launched an investigation under section 25 of the Competition Act 1998 (‘CA98’) into suspected infringements of the Chapter I prohibition of the CA98 by companies involved in the production and broadcasting of sports content.

The investigation relates to the purchase by these companies of freelance services which support the production and broadcasting of sports content in the UK.

The CMA is investigating suspected breaches of competition law by at least the following: BT Group PLC, IMG Media Limited (including Premier League Productions), ITV PLC, and Sky UK Limited.

At this stage the CMA believes it has reasonable grounds to suspect one or more breaches of competition law. The CMA has not reached a view as to whether there is sufficient evidence of an infringement of competition law for it to issue a statement of objections to any party or parties. Not all cases result in the CMA issuing a statement of objections and no assumption should be made at this stage that the CA98 has been infringed.

https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/suspected-anti-competitive-behaviour-relating-to-the-purchase-of-freelance-services-in-the-production-and-broadcasting-of-sports-content

Honestly, you create an oligarchy with absolutely huge barriers to entry and then you complain when they act like a cabal. I mean, what did they expect? Has no one in government ever read Adam Smith?
  • Options

Roger said:

Sequitur

Any numbers on that?
    Presumably using PB Tory logic(sic), the existence of Corbyn, their favourite Lexiteer and excuse for voting for BJ, suggests lots of antisemites also voted Leave.
    I don't have any numbers, but I'd only need one antisemite remainer to show that "all racists were leavers" was claptrap

You know who was also a Zionist a Remain voter?

https://www.defenddemocracy.press/ken-livingstone-brexit-make-leave-country/
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

How incredibly depressing that it's a contested concept and "adult human female" now comes in for criticism.

Funny how the same problem isn't encountered by men...
    Because no-one cares what the definition of a man is. It doesn't matter if biological women try to take part in men's sports, and it's much less important they be kept out of men-only prisons, changing facilities etc (they'd potentially be putting themselves at risk, but at least it would be only them at risk).

Trying to present the focus on women rather than men as misogyny (as some have done) is completely wrong-headed - if anything, it's the reverse.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

I feel like they should do more in this vein and ask if a cashew nut is a nut.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:
    This a composite photo. I think Jeremy Hunt is a lot taller than any of the others.
    Truss 1.6m
    Sunak: 1.7m
    Hunt: 1.88m

Or 7 inches in old money....
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

The white heat of ancient cliches coined by Labour.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

And won a huge landslide.

Labour can learn a thing from that.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    He’s standing on his money.
    Or the body of the last PM whom he has brought down.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

FTFY.
    I don't. He was a disaster at the FCA, and it should have ruled him out of the running for Governor.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

So, did Spend-a-Penny put any figures on this child care proposal or say how it would be funded?

Also not impressed with the MP-Cash policy which just seems like an open invitation for local corruption.

It's an invitation for some ludicrous projects based on their personal hobby horses too.
    A plethora of utterly un life like statues, garden bridges, and the like.
  • Options

The childcare will be funded, in the long run, by the children themselves..
  • Options
    EPG said:

It didn't mean anything in 1964, it doesn't mean anything now.....
  • Options
    My position on Penny Mordaunt is this.

"Whoever is faithful in small matters will be faithful in large ones; whoever is dishonest in small matters will be dishonest in large ones."

It's not just what the lie is about. It's the fact that the default instinct is to lie. That tells you everything you need to know about a person.

Under what she must have known would be intense scrutiny she has told untruths about Turkey and the Leave campaign and about her position on trans issues. It's not that she has changed her mind, which would be respectable, but that she pretends she has not said things or adopted positions which can easily be checked and which she must know can be checked. It shows a contempt for her audience, saying what she thinks they want to hear. It is very Boris-like.

She needs to get rid of this, get more experience and think things through properly.

On Badenoch: clearly has some talent as a speaker. But a bit too inclined to suggest things to make a point rather than to come up with practical solutions edge on loos and teaching. Again, needs experience of doing the hard work of coming up with practical solutions which work rather than which just sound good.

Also - all this small state stuff is out of temper with the times. Three of the biggest issues we face - climate change, housing and investment in productivity so that we can earn our living - will need intelligent big/biggish state solutions. And what about defence in an uncertain world?

Zahawi: WTAF is he doing suggesting offering Boris a job?

Truss: has some good points but a voice and speaking style that sounds like it's been designed by and for a cheese grater. Not sure what she stands for.

Tugendhat: don't know enough about him to comment.

Hunt: seems a bit desperate. Fox-hunting? Really??

Sunak: not as good as he thinks he is.

Suella: oh please! A constituency MP, possibly a junior Minister responsible for licensing laws (her speciality at the Bar) is about her limit.

8 offerings and so very little real choice.

If this were a restaurant menu I'd go home and cook for myself.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:
    Truss 1.6m

Sunak ain't 1.7m... Just saying...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

A majority of four isn't a landslide.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,465
    Am I the only one who fears for Beth Rigby at the moment? Not only did she ramble on at the Rishi launch but she forgot Penny Mordaunt was standing when asking Tom Tugenhadt a question this morning, and then curiously branded Mordaunt as “Theresa May with better hair.”

Isn’t she supposed to have her finger on the pulse of Westminster politics? She gives off the impression of not having a clue what is going on.
  • Options

She said that the child care initiative would be cost neutral - no new money.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:
    Truss 1.6m

Not directly comparable, as these data show different levels of rounding. The difference could be almost two inches either way, depending on how far and which way Mr S's height is rounded to 2 sfs.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Carnyx said:

One of the only two election winners for Labour in my lifetime.

• Options

Roger said:

Sequitur

Any numbers on that?
    I don't have any numbers, but I'd only need one antisemite remainer to show that "all racists were leavers" was claptrap

You know who was also a Zionist a Remain voter?

https://www.defenddemocracy.press/ken-livingstone-brexit-make-leave-country/
    Ah, I see we’ve moved on from ‘lots of antisemites’ to ‘only need one antisemite’.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Am I the only one who fears for Beth Rigby at the moment? Not only did she ramble on at the Rishi launch but she forgot Penny Mordaunt was standing when asking Tom Tugenhadt a question this morning, and then curiously branded Mordaunt as “Theresa May with better hair.”

Isn’t she supposed to have her finger on the pulse of Westminster politics? She gives off the impression of not having a clue what is going on.

She's a moron. Sky should have taken the chance to ditch her when they had the chance.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2022

Carnyx said:

A majority of 98 is
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Well. A majority of 4.
    But it probably played a huge part in that majority.
  • Options

EPG said:

It didn't mean anything in 1964, it doesn't mean anything now.....
    Er, 1963 ...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Well. A majority of 4.
    But it probably played a huge part in that majority.
    It led to a majority of 98
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,465

Penny is basically the Starmer of the leadership contest so far. So that puts her in a good position to win

Better speaker than Starmer

Her advantage is she comes across as human. Which sets her apart from BlairBot 2.0 Rishi, and the quirky Truss.

Whether she’s an election winner I don’t know, but I think she can speak to people in a genuine way, and yes in comparison with Starmer she comes out well too.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Cyclefree said:

MPs will like that

I am sure that there is zero chance of this increasing waste or corruption.
    It is pretty much what happens in Italy. Guaranteed corruption and waste is the result.

She really is Boris in a dress.

(She has now pissed off the Stonewall/Pink News crowd by claiming, wrongly, that she did not support self-ID when she was one of its biggest proponents when she was a Minister. So she has managed to annoy both sides of the argument.)

Is it too much to want people with some good judgment and without the propensity to lie all the time?

Apparently so.
    But surely our British MPs are such paragons of virtue with decades of experience running multi million pound projects successfully and under budget, as well as unrivalled understanding of whichever local seat they have been parachuted in to, and visit occasionally at election times, that it would work perfectly here?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

A majority of 98 is
    But the first election after that speech saw Labour with a majority of four.

I suspect John Profumo played more of a role than that speech.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:
    good bloke.

Not gonna work mind. I think a lot of continuity trail hunts will go out of business this winter. Horses ain't cheap, and contrary to pop belief their owners ain't on average rich. Hay is gonna go through the roof for starters cos fertiliser n diesel.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, big LSD in NI water supply scandal about to break.

https://twitter.com/clarey1888/status/1546973401838981120?s=21&t=GVS-ewGSyTA3prFSTyU2IA
This discussion has been closed.