Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The battle to find Starmer’s succesor as LOTO? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited July 2022 in General
imageThe battle to find Starmer’s succesor as LOTO? – politicalbetting.com

We now know much more about how the Conservative leadership contest is going to operate with the outcome being revealed in the first week of September. At least it is pretty certain are that the winner will be able to move into Number 10 as Prime Minister and have perhaps two years in the top job. But what about after that?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Who knows? you ask.

He who knows not, and knows not he knows not, he is a fool—shun him;
    He who knows not, and knows he knows not, he is simple—teach him;
    He who knows, and knows not he knows, he is asleep—wake him;
    He who knows, and knows he knows, he is wise—follow him.

Arab Proverb.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Just seen a funny statement from old Sean Locke routine....you couldn't have Ed Miliband as PM as he is the sort of man who would be bullied by iggle piggle in the night garden.

Made me think, which of the current Tory candidates doing the beauty pageant would pass the iggle piggle bully test....a fair few would definitely fail it.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2022
    Its quite clear even this early on in the Conservative leadership contest that the list of possible candidates who might make the final two on the ballot that goes out to the membership is not as nailed on as most political commentators might have predicted even a week ago. Its also been interesting to watch the reaction of the Opposition and the media to such a wide and diverse range of candidates throwing their hats in the ring, and the issues that are coming to the forefront of the political agenda. Whisper it quietly, Brexit is already proving it isn't the issue it was before the 2019 GE and the pandemic, and the new global economic challenges we face here in the UK is what is going to dictate the narrative of this leadership contest.

While the media have taken quite a snobbish mocking approach to the number of candidates on offer, the Conservative party have acted very quickly to make sure that the Westminster party contest will move swiftly and be completed before recess. As for the Opposition parties, they now need to realise that they are going to face a new PM and Conservative Government and not the one they would have liked to have faced at the next GE.

Personally, I would love to see Tom Tugendhut and Penny Mordaunt on the final ballot.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    edited July 2022
    OT ;) Flip-flopping favourites for next PM. Rishi is back in front.

3.2 Rishi Sunak
    3.35 Penny Mordaunt
    5 Liz Truss
    12.5 Tom Tugendhat
    15 Kemi Badenoch
    27 Jeremy Hunt
    60 Sajid Javid
    75 Nadhim Zahawi
    75 Priti Patel
    90 Suella Braverman
    100 Dominic Raab
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Just for fun, here is Betfair's next Labour leader market. Note some prices are misleading because the lay side is in the hundreds.

5.4 Andy Burnham
    7.4 Lisa Nandy
    8 Angela Rayner
    9 Rachel Reeves
    9 Wes Streeting
    10.5 Yvette Cooper
    16.5 Bridget Phillipson
    30 Jess Phillips
    30 Rosena Allin-Khan
    32 David Lammy
    36 Dan Jarvis
    36 Sadiq Khan
    40 Emily Thornberry
    50 Stella Creasy
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,463
    fitalass said:

Its quite clear even this early on in the Conservative leadership contest that the list of possible candidates who might make the final two on the ballot that goes out to the membership is not as nailed on as most political commentators might have predicted even a week ago. Its also been interesting to watch the reaction of the Opposition and the media to such a wide and diverse range of candidates throwing their hats in the ring, and the issues that are coming to the forefront of the political agenda. Whisper it quietly, Brexit is already proving it isn't the issue it was before the 2019 GE and the pandemic, and the new global economic challenges we face here in the UK is what is going to dictate the narrative of this leadership contest.

While the media have taken quite a snobbish mocking approach to the number of candidates on offer, the Conservative party have acted very quickly to make sure that the Westminster party contest will move swiftly and be completed before recess. As for the Opposition parties, they now need to realise that they are going to face a new PM and Conservative Government and not the one they would have liked to have faced at the next GE.

Personally, I would love to see Tom Tugendhut and Penny Mordaunt on the final ballot.

Which of those two would you vote for, if you don't mind me asking.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

fitalass said:

Which of those two would you vote for, if you don't mind me asking.
    Andy, good question. I am a long time fan of Tom Tugendhut and because he proved such an impressive back bench MP and chair of the Foreign Affairs committee, he has been at the forefront challenging so many tough decisions the UK needs to make when it comes to Foreign policy. Also in this leadership contest, this makes his distance from the Boris adminstration a huge plus for me, he really would be a complete break with the Boris administration and this would see I hope someone forming a Cabinent based on merit rather than loyalty to a lazy maverick who hoped that they would end up doing the hard graft.

Also a big fan of Penny Mordaunt due to her impressive performance in her Ministerial briefs and at the despatch box, she has been on my watch list for a while because she is another Ministerial grafter who often went under the radar. I have to be honest, and because like with Tom Tugendhut I am not surprised at her early success among the Westminster Conservative party and with the membership across the UK she has been turning heads for a while now. They both have on social media making waves for a while now.

I see this leadership contest through the prism of how it will play out for the Scottish Conservatives, and for me the two candidates on the final ballot paper who are best placed to help the Scottish Conservatives at the next GE are Tom Tugendhut and Penny Mordaunt. I am a big fan of Alex Massie in the Times, but I had to disagree with his latest comment that "None of the candidates to lead the Tory party have much to say about Scotland for there is not much they can usefully say.". He has clearly not seen the latest front page of the Scottish Daily Mail where Penny Mordaunt is front and centre taking on the SNP... Alex got it wrong on this issue because of the recent redrawing of the political map and the huge swings in votes we have seen right across the UK in recent elections which indicates that no future leader or PM of any party can afford to ignore their heartlands never mind right across the UK.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Have been in Spain for the last week watching the Tory leadership race from afar. It’s a diverse group of candidates, for sure, all pitching to what they clearly consider to be a deeply nostalgic, financially incontinent, reactionary electorate that holds no flame for the rule of law. At some point they may start talking about what matters to the broader electorate, but right now the Tories look as self-absorbed and as removed from reality as Labour did during the Corbyn years.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    It looks like Sunak, Mordaunt or Truss.

I'm quite sure that Mordaunt has the best chance of winning the next GE.

Sunak would do a solid job and probably get a Hung Parliament.

Truss will be a disaster electorally. If she does win, I think there is a serious chance that she gets deposed before the next GE. If the Conservatives are in a worse position in 12 months time I think there's every chance the MPs throw her out - especially if if it's clear she was only the MPs 2nd choice in the first place (which is likely to be the case). There would still then be plenty of time for a successor to take over pre GE.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Truss will be a disaster electorally. If she does win, I think there is a serious chance that she gets deposed before the next GE. If the Conservatives are in a worse position in 12 months time I think there's every chance the MPs throw her out - especially if if it's clear she was only the MPs 2nd choice in the first place (which is likely to be the case). There would still then be plenty of time for a successor to take over pre GE.

Voters are not going to tolerate yet another change of Tory leader and PM before the next election. At some point the Tories do have to start thinking about the country rather than themselves.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    MikeL said:

The debate so far seems to focus on who is best placed to score cheap points off Labour.

That is a mistake in my opinion.

From my perspective the Tories need to find someone who can knock the Tory party into shape, get the support of (or dominate) the right and then put together a coherent and sound plan and withstand the uncommon storm.

If you frame the problem like that then inexperienced back benchers, with little achievement behind them look risky. Sunak also looks risky, because the right will not wear it. Truss looks more attractive.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Massie is right.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    So SpaceX had an unexpected small Kaboom last night during testing of their new rocket's booster.

I guess Elon wanted to pay homage to all of Russia's exploding ammo dumps... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWeeWMu10A0
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

MikeL said:

Voters are not going to tolerate yet another change of Tory leader and PM before the next election. At some point the Tories do have to start thinking about the country rather than themselves.

You think it was in the best interest of the Country for Boris to remain?
  • Options
    philiph said:

MikeL said:

You think it was in the best interest of the Country for Boris to remain?
    No, he clearly had to go. I was responding to the idea that the Tories might dump their next leader before they go to the country again.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Have been in Spain for the last week watching the Tory leadership race from afar. It’s a diverse group of candidates, for sure, all pitching to what they clearly consider to be a deeply nostalgic, financially incontinent, reactionary electorate that holds no flame for the rule of law…..

Hopefully that’s not the majority of the electorate….

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Have been in Spain for the last week watching the Tory leadership race from afar. It’s a diverse group of candidates, for sure, all pitching to what they clearly consider to be a deeply nostalgic, financially incontinent, reactionary electorate that holds no flame for the rule of law…..

Hopefully that’s not the majority of the electorate….

It’s not. But it doesn’t have to be, of course!

• Options
    That looks like quite a big dump.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1546712454117240832
    Compilation of the clips showing the explosion of the ammunition warehouse in Nova Kakhovka.
  • Options
    Even though it’s no longer killing tens of thousands, Covid is still very much pandemic.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1546705689627635713
    According to the Walgreen's index, the US is at 41% test positivity, higher than Omicron BA.1 and since this tracking was established

It will be interesting, if somewhat worrying, to see how long this mass infection can continue with new variants.
    If the risk of long Covid doesn’t decrease with each subsequent infection (it’s possible some individuals just aren’t susceptible) then it could be a significant, even large problem for long term health.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Nigelb said:

Compilation of the clips showing the explosion of the ammunition warehouse in Nova Kakhovka.

Russia's way of conducting war - shell, demolish, advance - only works when it has the advantage of range.

Robbed of that, they are stuffed.

Plus, Ukraine will have very precise details of the locations of these warehouses - both from satellite images but also a huge network of partisans.

Russia needs a serious rethink. Preferably from within its own borders.

I see Oryx has confirmed Russian tank losses at 865. Russian tank crews in Ukraine must now have significantly lower life expectancies than even WW2 U-boat crews.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,832
    Telegraph reporting that Boris held a Cobra meeting in Number 10 over the impending heatwave. 40C is still possible next weekend/Monday

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting to see Tugendhat and Badenoch relatively short and Hunt now going out.

Reckon it's a fair call to have a 20 MP threshold to whittle the over-sized field down.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Leon said:

Telegraph reporting that Boris held a Cobra meeting in Number 10 over the impending heatwave. 40C is still possible next weekend/Monday

He held COBRA over a heatwave?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Interesting to see Tugendhat and Badenoch relatively short and Hunt now going out.

Reckon it's a fair call to have a 20 MP threshold to whittle the over-sized field down.

It is. It means a minimum of "I'm not really serious about the PM role right now, but I'd sure like a promotion" candidates.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

40C is likely to kill people, particularly if it lasts more than a day or so; this isn't air conditioned LA.
    It's not ridiculous.

• Options
    The new normal on Russia's borders.
    Latvia may increase its defence spending and introduce compulsory military service regardless of gender to contain security risks arising from Russia. President Egils Levits, 67, told Reuters that security is the “priority of our politics today” and plans to raise the defence budget to 2.5% of GDP “may not be enough”. (Guardian)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

A similar heatwave in France a few years ago killed thousands of vulnerable people, esp the old in non air conditioned dwellings

So it’s very sensible. We’re not equipped for this heat

Hopefully the French have sorted out their game, because they could break records there as well - potentially going over 45C
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Once Boris steps down on 5th Sep, we will have six former prime ministers still alive at the same time.

I wonder if that’s a record?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

40C is likely to kill people, particularly if it lasts more than a day or so; this isn't air conditioned LA.
    It's not ridiculous.

You are correct. I was unnecessarily flippant.
  • Options
    Mr. B, aye, especially bearing in mind how relatively few homes have aircon, and potential for dogs/kids in cars.

It's ironic that Latvia, smaller and right next to Russia, is taking the right steps whereas Germany is more distant, far larger, yet has been wavering the whole damned time.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

A similar heatwave in France a few years ago killed thousands of vulnerable people, esp the old in non air conditioned dwellings

Hopefully the French have sorted out their game, because they could break records there as well - potentially going over 45C
    Absolutely baking in Spain currently. Returning to the UK heatwave will be something of a relief! The Spanish are used to high temperatures, of course, but not this high. More worrying is the long-term decline in rainfall levels. That will make significant parts of the country uninhabitable. It’s been pretty dry in much of England this year, too.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, I'm not too up on Spain's habitability but have a vague memory of the centre (parts, anyway) being essentially uninhabitable with plenty of nice places on the coast. Would that, if it happens, be an extension of the existing uninhabitable zone or entirely new areas becoming hard for living?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791

OT ;) Flip-flopping favourites for next PM. Rishi is back in front.

3.2 Rishi Sunak
    3.35 Penny Mordaunt
    5 Liz Truss
    12.5 Tom Tugendhat
    15 Kemi Badenoch
    27 Jeremy Hunt
    60 Sajid Javid
    75 Nadhim Zahawi
    75 Priti Patel
    90 Suella Braverman
    100 Dominic Raab

I must confess, even as someone who shares some of their opinions, it is a bit of a relief to see the odds lengthening on Patel and Braverman. Badenoch seems like a much better prospect, she seems to be a lot brighter and has a more rational political style.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Russia's way of conducting war - shell, demolish, advance - only works when it has the advantage of range.

Plus, Ukraine will have very precise details of the locations of these warehouses - both from satellite images but also a huge network of partisans.

I see Oryx has confirmed Russian tank losses at 865. Russian tank crews in Ukraine must now have significantly lower life expectancies than even WW2 U-boat crews.
    Even with Russia's alleged vast stocks of ammunition and shells, these hits must be hurting them, especially if fuel and transport vehicles are also being lost. Potentially more importantly, it sounds as though the Ukrainians have killed a number of senior Russian officers in targeted attacks.

Incidentally, there's another excellent Perun on the use of artillery in the war. It's long but good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMEpxX7rS5I
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This is going to happen more and more I'm afraid.

Not much can be done other than to better mitigate against it. The world isn't going to get to Net Zero until about 2070 and then there will be 50+ years on top trying to claw back carbon and methane out again. So
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Absolutely baking in Spain currently. Returning to the UK heatwave will be something of a relief! The Spanish are used to high temperatures, of course, but not this high. More worrying is the long-term decline in rainfall levels. That will make significant parts of the country uninhabitable. It’s been pretty dry in much of England this year, too.

Currently enjoying the cool Monsoon season in Pune. Only 24°C here, but bring an umbrella and waders.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

47C is predicted for parts of Iberia. Portugal has declared eight days of national emergency

47C is horrible wherever you are. If you haven’t got aircon and you can’t get to water you are in trouble
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I'm expecting Oryx to get less accurate on the low side as this war continues. It was earlier to get accurate-ish numbers of Russian losses earlier in the war, and especially after the Russians retreated from Kyiv. But with the artillery war, it's going to be harder to get good pictorial evidence of exactly what was hit so far behind enemy lines, and whether it was a mobility kill, a hard kill, or just light damage.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The new normal on Russia's borders.
    Latvia may increase its defence spending and introduce compulsory military service regardless of gender to contain security risks arising from Russia. President Egils Levits, 67, told Reuters that security is the “priority of our politics today” and plans to raise the defence budget to 2.5% of GDP “may not be enough”. (Guardian)

Putin complains about NATO, but his actions in Ukraine serve to demonstrate why either NATO or some other defensive alliance with countries that border Russia is absolutely essential. If it doesn't exist, Russia could just pick them off one by one and they would each be overwhelmed by a much larger neighbour (although in the case of Finland, they might struggle). Unfortunately, this war means that they need to build a massive wall along the entire border, probably with a giant moat or something, and tightly police every border crossing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

47C is predicted for parts of Iberia. Portugal has declared eight days of national emergency

47C is horrible wherever you are. If you haven’t got aircon and you can’t get to water you are in trouble
    Climate emergency.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Not much can be done other than to better mitigate against it. The world isn't going to get to Net Zero until about 2070 and then there will be 50+ years on top trying to claw back carbon and methane out again. So
    The political will is just not there as we have some seen with some fruitcakes in the Tory leadership race abandoning the net zero aspiration.

Labour have also been very timid when it comes to the anthropogenic forcing of the climate. It's by far the biggest issue we have globally and hardly anyone is dong anything about it.

Things are changing with the younger generation but once again the wrinklies will screw the rest of us as they have done many times before.

Sighs...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Climate emergency.
    Emergency implies it can be fixed quickly.

It can't. 100 year project. And it's going to get worse. So only sensible immediate thing governments can do is put Aircon and refuges wherever they can.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Oh my. That's an inconvenient story for our armes forces that's just popped up on my phone.
  • Options
    Hunt now out to 40 (although 27 is the next number) on Betfair.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Climate emergency.

It can't. 100 year project. And it's going to get worse. So only sensible immediate thing governments can do is put Aircon and refuges wherever they can.
    I don't think 'emergency' implies a quick fix. It implies that this is serious and action is required now, both to deal with the immediate crisis and the brutal, somewhat terrifying fact that this new world is only just getting started. There is far worse to come.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The political will is just not there as we have some seen with some fruitcakes in the Tory leadership race abandoning the net zero aspiration.

Labour have also been very timid when it comes to the anthropogenic forcing of the climate. It's by far the biggest issue we have globally and hardly anyone is dong anything about it.

Things are changing with the younger generation but once again the wrinklies will screw the rest of us as they have done many times before.

Sighs...
    The thing is, I see 'Net Zero' as a great opportunity. It is also a balancing act; if we go too fast towards it, it will be a disaster for the economy. But if we get the correct pace, it opens up so many opportunities.

BTW Murali, what are your views on what is happening in Sri Lanka atm?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If this continues, inland Spain and Greece, and possibly southwest France and Sicily/S Italy, will empty out

We will start to see population movements within Europe, not just migrants from outside

It’s beginning to impinge personally. I’m possibly going to buy property abroad. For the first time I’m thinking: wait, what if it gets too hot?

I know friends who are now hesitating about booking two weeks in the Med in August. Because two weeks of 35-40C is not a holiday

• Options
    The betting indicates Shapps, Javid, Hunt, Zahawi, Bravermann, Patel all out in short order.
    Then Tugendhat and Badenoch.
    Truss, Mordaunt, Sunak final 3.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If this continues, inland Spain and Greece, and possibly southwest France and Sicily/S Italy, will empty out

We will start to see population movements within Europe, not just migrants from outside

It’s beginning to impinge personally. I’m possibly going to buy property abroad. For the first time I’m thinking: wait, what if it gets too hot?

I know friends who are now hesitating about booking two weeks in the Med in August. Because two weeks of 35-40C is not a holiday

To be fair, going to the Med in August was never that bright; it’s just that some people have to holiday at that time of year.
  • Options
    I think the UK could probably reach net zero with a massive expansion of wind power with little pain.
    But that won't please the hairshirts that want to see us suffer
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

To be fair, going to the Med in August was never that bright; it’s just that some people have to holiday at that time of year.
    Wouldn’t be my choice, but: school holidays yes
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I agree on the first part (off-chance Hunt makes the first round?) but where their supporters go may be trickier to guess.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

There are few places taken in the round so pleasant to live than the UK. Provided you have a few quid of course, which is true in most places but especially so here.

• Options

Hunt now out to 40 (although 27 is the next number) on Betfair.

He's 55 at next Conservative leader.

I think he'll drop out today.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, I agree on the first part (off-chance Hunt makes the first round?) but where their supporters go may be trickier to guess.

More will head to Sunak than Mordaunt would like I think.
    Of the 3 front runners I think she's in the weakest position once we're into the contest proper.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Good morning

Some years ago we went on a cruise to Norway and Iceland in the summer and as we sailed to the Lofoten Islands (beautiful) and the Artic circle the temperature exceeded 30c (86f)

It was entirely unexpected
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Of the 3 front runners I think she's in the weakest position once we're into the contest proper.
    That's my least confident prediction though
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, I've trimmed my Mordaunt position a bit this morning.

Tugendhat won't make it either so I'm contemplating when to lay him down too.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

You can go somewhere else. Central Europe is comparatively pleasant in the Summer. Having said that, last time I was in Kraków it was far too hot in June.
  • Options
    Look at the weather in Seville this week. Ouch

Seville is notoriously hot - the hottest city in a hot country. But 44c two days in a row…

• Options

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Climate emergency.

I initially thought you typed 'refugees' there!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Are you certain of that? He’s definitely going to get past the nomination stage and with Hunt possibly not, I’d say he’s fairly nailed to get past Round 1 as well. Once the competition proper starts who knows who grabs The Mo.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    edited July 2022

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Climate emergency.

Air conditioning is part of the problem. It has a positive feedback loop to it. The hotter it gets, the more air-conditioning, pouring out more heat in sweltering cities...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/29/the-air-conditioning-trap-how-cold-air-is-heating-the-world

Never mind. I am sure all those opposed to Net Zero or denying climate change will be very welcoming to the climate refugees from Africa and the Middle East.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Pulpstar said:

I think the UK could probably reach net zero with a massive expansion of wind power with little pain.
    But that won't please the hairshirts that want to see us suffer

problem with wind power is that wind can drop to nothing for long periods of time.

Which means going forward it's going to be great for things like car charging but it's not so great for things that require continual supply.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Sighs...
    The thing is, I see 'Net Zero' as a great opportunity. It is also a balancing act; if we go too fast towards it, it will be a disaster for the economy. But if we get the correct pace, it opens up so many opportunities.

BTW Murali, what are your views on what is happening in Sri Lanka atm?
    The situation in Sri Lanka was very predictable. Obviously there is some bias as I am a Tamil and we've been at the end of the Rajapaksas' oppression and discrimination for years so not a surprise for me. It now seems like the rest of Sri Lanka is finally feeling the impact of their greed, corruption, incompetence and disregard for human life.

Hopefully, this will be a catalyst to finally being the country together. I am hopeful but whether it will happen with the xenophobic Buddhist clergy calling the shots, who knows?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,802

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I live in West Central Scotland - what is this "hot, dry weather" I hear rumours of?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it is reasonable to expect the next PM will be one of Sunak, Mordaunt, Truss, and Tugendhat

The remaining candidates will hope for a cabinet position
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

You can go somewhere else. Central Europe is comparatively pleasant in the Summer. Having said that, last time I was in Kraków it was far too hot in June.
    I’d head for higher parts of the south if holidaying in august. So you still probably get the sun but not the awful temps

The foothills of the Pyrenees, the alps, the Dolomites, the Balkans
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Climate emergency.

Air conditioning is part of the problem. It has a positive feedback loop to it. The hotter it gets, the more air-conditioning, pouring out more heat in sweltering cities...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/29/the-air-conditioning-trap-how-cold-air-is-heating-the-world

Never mind. I am sure all those opposed to Net Zero or denying climate change will be very welcoming to the climate refugees from Africa and the Middle East.
    But it’s practical. How else do you survive intense heat without aircon? We can’t all move to Oban overnight
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I’d head for higher parts of the south if holidaying in august. So you still probably get the sun but not the awful temps

The foothills of the Pyrenees, the alps, the
    Dolomites, the Balkans
    Much like the Indian tea stations but without the tea!

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it will be Sunak vs Truss for the members and the members will choose Truss because the majority of Tory members have a couple of screws loose up here (caused by old age or otherwise)!
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you certain of that? He’s definitely going to get past the nomination stage and with Hunt possibly not, I’d say he’s fairly nailed to get past Round 1 as well. Once the competition proper starts who knows who grabs The Mo.

Whoever it is it won't be Tugendhat.

Look at where the bulk of the MP support is going and how poorly he performs with the members, who think he's a "Remainer".

He's this contests Rory Stewart.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Central Europe is commonly dry and hot in the summer, having a continental climate. August is the time to be visiting Scandinavia, Canada, Ireland, Scotland or Brittany.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

There are few places taken in the round so pleasant to live than the UK. Provided you have a few quid of course, which is true in most places but especially so here.

Yes, Brittany or the North Coast of Spain should keep a marine climate as well as UK and Ireland.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Yes, mild climate; 8 months of good weather if you live on the south coast. Plus, seasonal variety.
  • Options
    Vlad has Scholz by his storage facilities

Constanze Stelzenmüller
    @ConStelz
    “Viele von uns waren ja völlig überrascht, als sie erfahren haben, dass nicht nur die Pipelines, sondern auch die Speicher im Besitz Russlands sind. Mir war das ebenfalls nicht klar. Einem Nationalen Sicherheitsrat wäre so etwas aufgefallen” (C. Heusgen)
    😳

“Many of us were completely surprised when they found out that not only the pipelines but also the storage facilities are owned by Russia. I didn't realize that either. A National Security Council would have noticed something like that” (C. Heusgen)
    😳

https://www.zeit.de/2022/27/angela-merkel-aussenpolitik-russland-wladimir-putin
    https://twitter.com/ConStelz/status/1546494563333840897
  • Options
    darkage said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Yes, mild climate; 8 months of good weather if you live on the south coast. Plus, seasonal variety.
    Eight months of good weather?! Lol

Chacun a son gout I guess

And that “seasonal variety” also means 3 months of dark cold grimness. And no climate change is going to make British winters less dark
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Climate emergency.

That's such Guardian clickbait bollocks.

All hot countries (that can afford it) have air conditioning. All of them. The alternative is people simply swelter and die.

Yes, they draw more power from the grid. You do it in parallel with decarbonising the grid, and moving to nuclear and renewables.

• Options
    Regarding heat, I live in a poorly insulated old house with solid walls and large, deep rooms. It is pleasantly cool all the time. No need/desire at all for air con.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Climate emergency.

But it’s practical. How else do you survive intense heat without aircon? We can’t all move to Oban overnight
    Ventilation helps. One of the problems that we need to pay architectural attention towards for a variety of reasons. Also heat-pumps working in reverse.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Central Europe is commonly dry and hot in the summer, having a continental climate. August is the time to be visiting Scandinavia, Canada, Ireland, Scotland or Brittany.
    Absolutely not Scotland. The midgies are horrendous. (Unless you're doing the Fringe)

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

grabs The Mo and sends him back presumably
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I know friends who are now hesitating about booking two weeks in the Med in August. Because two weeks of 35-40C is not a holiday.

We moved to the SW of England last year. It was definitely the right choice.

• Options

Vlad has Scholz by his storage facilities

Constanze Stelzenmüller
    @ConStelz
    “Viele von uns waren ja völlig überrascht, als sie erfahren haben, dass nicht nur die Pipelines, sondern auch die Speicher im Besitz Russlands sind. Mir war das ebenfalls nicht klar. Einem Nationalen Sicherheitsrat wäre so etwas aufgefallen” (C. Heusgen)
    😳

“Many of us were completely surprised when they found out that not only the pipelines but also the storage facilities are owned by Russia. I didn't realize that either. A National Security Council would have noticed something like that” (C. Heusgen)
    😳

https://www.zeit.de/2022/27/angela-merkel-aussenpolitik-russland-wladimir-putin
    https://twitter.com/ConStelz/status/1546494563333840897

Putin has played Germany like Jimi Hendrix played a Stratocaster
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

What is your most confident prediction?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It was 36c in Slovenia last week. The climb up into the Julian Alps was awful, had to be very careful with water supply etc
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Good morning everybody! What a varied set of front pages!
    Not all that hot here yet and yesterday never got really what one might call 'cooking' but who knows what today will bring!
    Mr Mark at 7:30 made a good point about tidal power generation; much more reliable than wind, although I suspect it's quite expensive to install and possibly environmentally questionable!
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I know friends who are now hesitating about booking two weeks in the Med in August. Because two weeks of 35-40C is not a holiday.

I have lots of family, some with nice big houses, in the SW. Truro and Falmouth

Maybe I should move there with a bolt hole in Thailand for the winter
  • Options
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Yes, Brittany or the North Coast of Spain should keep a marine climate as well as UK and Ireland.
    We’ve been in the Basque Country this last week. It is noticeably green - maybe even more so than Devon is currently.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It was 36c in Slovenia last week. The climb up into the Julian Alps was awful, had to be very careful with water supply etc
    36C even at altitude?! Wow

Is that abnormal?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

Tugendhat surely will lose in the members vote, unless Sunak makes the final two. I don't think so though as Mordaunt or Badenoch will consolidate the hardcore Brexiteer vote and be in the final two. Truss will flop fairly quickly.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,065
    murali_s said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it will be Sunak vs Truss for the members and the members will choose Truss because the majority of Tory members have a couple of screws loose up here (caused by old age or otherwise)!
    Yeah this is the most likely outcome IMHO, although certainly not the only one that is possible.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    darkage said:

Regarding heat, I live in a poorly insulated old house with solid walls and large, deep rooms. It is pleasantly cool all the time. No need/desire at all for air con.

My father in law used to have a house in Normandy by the sea (one of the D-Day landing beaches). Even on 30c+ today it used to be very cool inside. Very little insulation but thick solid stone walls with a white render.

Our 4 year old new build in the UK we can keep relatively cool but it takes work. In the morning open all the windows up if they are not in direct sunlight. Those in direct sunlight should be kept shut along with any and all curtains, blinds etc. In mid morning when the temperature outside gets warmer than inside every single door and window should be closed up along with the blinds/curtains. Stays like that until the evening and the temperature outside drops below that inside when you open everything up again. Difficult to always ensure doors stay shut, particularly with kids! This system probably relies on good insulation and maybe assisted by the fact out house is rendered white.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

We thought about a small place in France or Spain, but decided there was no point as we would not spend enough time in it. Better to buy bigger in the UK and rent places for longer stays abroad.

• Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

36C even at altitude?! Wow

Is that abnormal?
    Just at the bottom, it cooled off as we went up.

When the thunderstorm came everyone rushed outside the mountain huts to collect the water in buckets. Had extra helicopter shuttles to bring bottled water in.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

There's me thinking LONDON IS BACK! I wonder where that came from...

This discussion has been closed.