Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

CON leadership latest – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• My gut feeling: Mordaunt or Kemi have quite a good chance of winning the next election. Sunak and Javid smaller chance but not vanishingly small. Truss, Shapps and some of the others would be a disaster (for the Tories).

My wild guess, FWIW, is that Mordaunt would be most likely to save the Tories.

And I gather Labour whispers are that they are the one they fear most.
    I'll ask tomorrow
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162

She’s the leadership candidate everyone’s talking about

@KemiBadenoch⁩ writes for ⁦@TheSun⁩

🔥 Slams unis spending more time “indoctrinating” than teaching
    🔥 Slash cash to low quality degrees
    🔥Make it easier to become a nurse or copper

I think my issue with Kemi is that these are not the issues most critical to the country.

It's a Conservative leadership election.
    No shit.

You’re a conservative, with a vote in the election. Do *you* think those are the most important issues? If not, why might other conservatives think so, such that Kemi is reduced to peddling over-ripe meat to them?

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,600
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

I think the tories fear the cultural power of the left. They saw Boris as pathetic in the face of BLM, the trashing of the Centophah, statue toppling etc. Badenoch offers the possibility of the reinvention and modernisation of the party, a credible alternative to the vision offered by the left. They think that, with Badenoch at the helm, they cannot be just be smeared and dismissed as the party of white male privelege.

Badenoch could blow Woke apart right across the Western world.

I think she wins the members if it's down to her and Mordaunt.
    You could be right if it’s those two.
    Indeed. It would be a catastrophe for the Tories at the following GE though.
    Why do you think Badenoch would be a catastrophe in the GE?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Evidence-free, red meat offering from Braverman:

"Braverman to look at cutting welfare
    Leadership hopeful Suella Braverman says there are "too many people" on benefits and plans to reduce the cost of the welfare state if she becomes prime minister."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62115347

Braverman also laying into part time workers getting benefits on top
    At this moment the idea you would promote such a policy is utterly bizarre but fortunately she will not get through
    Yes, she would be a gift for Labour.

Morduant being unusual in not coming out with completely hatstand ideas. She would be a real threat to Labour.
    FFS.

She is yet another politician whose name highly educated PBers fail to spell.

Bruella Saverman
    Shant Grapps
    Zadhim Nahawi
    Bemi Kadenoch
    Menny Pordaunt
    Sishi Runak
    Triz Luss
    Jajid Savid
    Tug Tomendhat
    Chishman Rehti
    Heremy Junt
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,895
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

Western Isles Under 11s Long jump Champion.

But I think Mo Farah has won this evening's PB competition.

That's a good story. I didn't know you were from the Western Isles @Eabhal. Which one?
    I've only been to the Hebrides once. I was 17, and it was my last holiday with my parents. I'm an only child, and family holidays had gone a bit meh through my teenage years. The Hebrides though, was a totally different kettle of fish. There was very little to do, and the weather was challenging, but that somehow made everything we did wildly interesting and hugely amusing. I have glorious, happy memories of it: eating fish and chips on the harbour at Stornoway watching the seals; playing frisbee in a 30 mph wind on a beach on the west coast of Lewis; the astonishig bleakness of Callanish under leaden skies; the improbable beauty of Harris when the sun shone; peat fires; cottages sprinkled randomly on the landscape; something ceaselessly hilarious in the pub in Lochmaddy in the driving rain; golf at the RAF base on Benbecula; listening to Motorhead on my walkman in the B&B on Grimsay; glorious sunshine at the pub in Lochboisdale; arriving in Castlebay at breakfast time; seeing the plane land on the beach at Barra (which my Dad had always wanted to see - the reason for the holiday); walking to the top of Barra and the improbable sprinkling of islands from the top; sailing down the sound of Mull amongst a regatta of small yachts under a picture postcard sky; arriving back in Oban and it feeling wildly bewildering to be around so many people. And board games, conversation no longer stilted with the awkwardness of the teenage years, the 1992 Olympics on the radio with Terry Wogan, seeing the same tourists again and again and again. Weather changing every half hour. The weirdness of being somewhere so other yet still in the UK.
    Kind of a valediction to childhood. But a happy one. And more memorable than the previous seven years of holidays put together.
    I wouldn't say I'm from them, but I did live there for a time (Eabhal is a hill on North Uist). Was back recently:

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,858

Good to see Ken Clarke on Newsnight

A prompt for my interesting anecdote...

I once sat next to Ken Clarke in a birdwatching hide at Rutland Water.

Apols to those who have read this before.

Goodnight from the Travelodge!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,992
    MPs vote 289 to 202 to allow agency workers to replace those on strike

https://twitter.com/LBCNews/status/1546597858765324289?s=20&t=kUHj34AbTzNAhmkfJVhxMw
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

ping said:

We need to prosecute the fuck out of the woman/people who trafficked Mo Farah.

Deport them if possible.

It is a tragic tale but thankfully one with a happy ending

The Home Office would be mad to question his citizenship at this point
    So there's a chance they will then?
    He obtained his passport by fraud. So technically yes.
    He was four.
    This was his citizenship when he was 14.

From the BBC article:

Mr Watkinson helped him apply for British citizenship under the name Mohamed Farah, which was granted in July 2000.

In the documentary, barrister Alan Briddock tells Sir Mo his nationality was technically "obtained by fraud or misrepresentations".

Legally, the government can remove a person's British nationality if their citizenship was obtained through fraud.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/11/woman-who-gave-birth-in-jamaica-stranded-after-baby-refused-entry-to-uk

Wouldn't put anything past the Home Office when you read stories like the above.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,340
    edited July 2022
    A big thing that seems to be missing from Starmer I will tax the posho schools and all the Tory candidates willy waving over tax cuts, tackling crime.....especially things like knife crime and low level stuff e.g. reports today that things like car break-ins just don't ever get any plod time.

I remember when any potential leader / PM had to make a big play over getting tough on crime as a central plank over their offer.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I must have a mental block, can't see why Truss is a front runner. Perhaps I should do more research and look at her speeches on YouTube etc. Genuinely puzzled.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Leadership hopeful Suella Braverman says there are "too many people" on benefits and plans to reduce the cost of the welfare state if she becomes prime minister."

At this moment the idea you would promote such a policy is utterly bizarre but fortunately she will not get through

Morduant being unusual in not coming out with completely hatstand ideas. She would be a real threat to Labour.
    FFS.

Bruella Saverman
    Shant Grapps
    Zadhim Nahawi
    Bemi Kadenoch
    Menny Pordaunt
    Sishi Runak
    Triz Luss
    Jajid Savid
    Tug Tomendhat
    Chishman Rehti
    Heremy Junt
    It's a shame Doris Nadine hasn't entered the race too.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,726
    dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

ping said:

Deport them if possible.

It is a tragic tale but thankfully one with a happy ending

The Home Office would be mad to question his citizenship at this point
    So there's a chance they will then?
    He obtained his passport by fraud. So technically yes.
    He was four.
    Though others brought here as children (but without Olympic medals) have been threatened with deportation.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351
    Cookie said:

Just shown my ten year old daughter the list of candidate pictures, without context, and told that one will be the next PM, and which does she prefer? Her answer: Kemi.

Was Penny Mordaunt second?
  • Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

As a woke lefty I would be delighted to see a black woman PM.
    It wouldn't make me not woke or lefty though thank you.
    Or any less opposed to her policies.
    You see. I don't think it's about race or gender.

Well I think if you are delighted by a black woman PM but oppose her policies then it IS about race and gender.
    Couldn't give a toss what her gender or ethnicity is, she has no ideas other than attacking wokeism, get rid
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714

I once went to a wildlife reserve in the middle of nowhere, Gabon (near the flat-pack Eiffel church). Ken had been there the week before. Bono the week before that.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,449

I bumped into, literally, John Bramwell, the lead singer of the criminally underrated band I Am Kloot, in the corridor of a hotel in Holmfirth.

Boy, were they criminally underated.

Top band.

Top front mn.

I have a photo of my good self with him as he shakes my hand and passes me a signed LP after one of his solo outings.

Nice! They were a fantastic band. Terrible name though, can’t have helped.

I got a photo with him, and me and the missus had a pint with him, after the gig we’d gone to Holmfirth to see. It was earlier that day, when we were checking into the hotel, that I bumped into him.
    Favourite track?

Northern Skies for me.

Then Proof.

Life in a Day

Solo: Leave Alone the Empty Spaces
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,271
    HYUFD said:

MPs vote 289 to 202 to allow agency workers to replace those on strike

https://twitter.com/LBCNews/status/1546597858765324289?s=20&t=kUHj34AbTzNAhmkfJVhxMw

Which won't happen. Next.
    Ken Clarke looks remarkably well.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Presumably not including the State Pension.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,855

ping said:

Deport them if possible.

They'll never be found.

It's a sad, eye-opening story though.
    Interesting I would have thought that too...but apparently they have been found and contacted for comment.

"The woman at the centre of the controversy did not respond to the BBC’s requests for comment."
    Perhaps they mean Priti !

I once went to a wildlife reserve in the middle of nowhere, Gabon (near the flat-pack Eiffel church). Ken had been there the week before. Bono the week before that.
    Bono is a bird watcher?
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Well I think if you are delighted by a black woman PM but oppose her policies then it IS about race and gender.
    Hoist by his own petard?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,726

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

What's Sue-Ellen's problem with this?

Part time work is better than no work and will presumably often help get people into full time work?
    This must be her solution to the cost of living crisis. Cut benefits. Force people in to starvation and poverty.

The madness here is that Boris Johnson had a winning strategy that facilitated a political reallignment. He couldn't see it through because of his personal flaws, but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the strategy - it was successful, whereas the Cameron/Osborne austerity years were ultimately a failure.

The tories seem to be reverting to their prejudicies , beliefs and instincts ; which are about a decade out of date.
    Yep.
    A competent, hardworking Boris could have ruled for a decade.
    And an honest one would have done loads of good too.
    There can not have been a more tragic figure since Shakespeare was writing.

Completely brought down by his own character flaws and yet could have strode the stage for at least decade.
    Shakespeare had more sense than to try make Falstaff king.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

Bruella Saverman
    Shant Grapps
    Zadhim Nahawi
    Bemi Kadenoch
    Menny Pordaunt
    Sishi Runak
    Triz Luss
    Jajid Savid
    Tug Tomendhat
    Chishman Rehti
    Heremy Junt
    That's Shan't Grapps, to you.
  • mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158
    What does Penny Mordaunt stand for on anything?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,020

To me, Rishi, Javid and Zahawi are all too dodgy to be PM, and to be frank CoE either.

Hopefully they are all cleaned out by the next election PM.

I notice that nobody has been asked yet about standards in public life.

Of the rest, Patel and Braverman seem to me actually dangerous; Shapps is gregarious but likely a spiv; and Hunt is triangulating so fast he has speed-burns.

I would not be personally distressed by Mordaunt, Badenoch and Tugendhat. Indeed, it would show the system “working”.

I think all that is exactly where I am right now.
    Though I would still say I'd be happier with Sunak or Javid than any of the candidates in 2019 or 2016; and Hunt or Shapps than any of the candidates in 2016. So I remain cheerful.

Woke-not-woke
  • What does Penny Mordaunt stand for on anything?

Woke-not-woke
    But that's what Kemi stands for
    edited July 2022

While we're on links to famous people, my wife's ex-housemate's husband's ex-wife's parents bought a car off Ken Clarke.
    Beat that.

I don’t know but Tory gentlemen think she is wonderfully cantilevered.
    Cookie said:

While we're on links to famous people, my wife's ex-housemate's husband's ex-wife's parents bought a car off Ken Clarke.
    Beat that.
    My friend snogged Jacinda Ardern in a nightclub circa 2006.

Woke-not-woke
    But that's what Kemi stands for
    I thought Kemi was more not-woke not-woke tbh.

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    9m
    Replying to
    @oflynnsocial
    and
    @MRothermere
    This is getting silly. If you don’t think advising the chief of the defence staff and being chair of the foreign affairs select committee is political experience I can’t help you. And if you think Kemi should be PM, facing down Putin next month, fine. It’s not a rational debate.

Dan Hodges getting overexcited as usual.
    Cookie said:

Beat that.
    I once had that Sean Thomas in the back of my cab.
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Just shown my ten year old daughter the list of candidate pictures, without context, and told that one will be the next PM, and which does she prefer? Her answer: Kemi.

Was Penny Mordaunt second?
    No - I asked for second place, thinking she might be some weird seer, but she went first for Rehman Christi, then Jermey Hunt, before landing on Rishi for second.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,271
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Ha ha. I see how you are twisting that. The fact that we have such a wonderfully diverse range of gender, religion and race to be PM is a reason to be superbly proud to be British. None of that is a bar at all.
    The fact that they are economically incompetent, borderline corrupt or spectacularly inexperienced is.
    Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    9m
    Replying to
    @oflynnsocial
    and
    @MRothermere
    This is getting silly. If you don’t think advising the chief of the defence staff and being chair of the foreign affairs select committee is political experience I can’t help you. And if you think Kemi should be PM, facing down Putin next month, fine. It’s not a rational debate.

I see from his twitter feed that he is currently obsessed with SKS's tax returns.

Finger on the pulse, eh.
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford·26m
    EXCLUSIVE:

Nadine Dorries and Jacob Rees-Mogg are expected to endorse Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, for PM tomorrow

They're planning to make a joint announcement - two of biggest Boris Johnson loyalists backing Truss

James Cleverly also endorses Truss in tomorrow's Times

Being endorsed by Mogg and Dorries may not necessarily prove to be an advantage.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,895
    NASA about to publish some pics from James Webb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg&ab_channel=NASA

Bono is a bird watcher?
    It was a very good place to get away from the outside world. Maybe that was it.

When I stayed in the Hotel San Michele in Fiesoli outside Florence, you were asked on checking in "Are you 'ere? Or are you not 'ere?" You got the impression Hitler and Stalin could have taken a break there and never been aware of the others presence...
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Ha ha. I see how you are twisting that. The fact that we have such a wonderfully diverse range of gender, religion and race to be PM is a reason to be superbly proud to be British. None of that is a bar at all.
    The fact that they are economically incompetent, borderline corrupt or spectacularly inexperienced does.
    The irony of course is that the liberal society we have has been fought for long and hard by the left and opposed by the Tories at every step.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,078

Mordanut is fav on BF

Blimey. I take a short nap and miss crossover. And someone has been added to the market: maybe JRM on 160.

3.35 Penny Mordaunt
    3.55 Rishi Sunak
    8.2 Liz Truss
    10 Tom Tugendhat
    16.5 Kemi Badenoch
    29 Jeremy Hunt
    46 Sajid Javid
    48 Priti Patel
    50 Dominic Raab
    50 Nadhim Zahawi
    60 Suella Braverman
    Liz Truss shortens after the JRM expected endorsement news.

3.25 Penny Mordaunt
    3.5 Rishi Sunak
    5.6 Liz Truss
    12.5 Tom Tugendhat
    15 Kemi Badenoch
    32 Jeremy Hunt
    48 Sajid Javid
    50 Priti Patel
    70 Nadhim Zahawi
    70 Suella Braverman
    80 Dominic Raab

Cookie said:

Beat that.
    Didn't know you were an Albanian taxi driver.

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

It's a problem.
    How do you pronounce it? I had always read it - and therefore pronounced it - as more-dew-ant. But evidently it's not. Is it Mord-ant? More-dunt? Mord-aren't? I honestly don't know.
    How do you pronounce mor?

How do you pronounce daunt?

Problem solved.
    Is that right? More - dor - nt?

That's slightly annoying. It's a surname that's not much fun to say.
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford·26m
    EXCLUSIVE:

Nadine Dorries and Jacob Rees-Mogg are expected to endorse Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, for PM tomorrow

They're planning to make a joint announcement - two of biggest Boris Johnson loyalists backing Truss

Being endorsed by Mogg and Dorries may not necessarily prove to be an advantage.
    I believe the late Emperor Hirohito is planning to come out for Truss, too. With Mogg, Dorries and Cleverly, that’s a full house.

Bono is a bird watcher?
    But he still hasn’t found what he’s looking for.
    It was certainly a place where the streets have no name.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,726

Foxy said:

darkage said:

I think the tories fear the cultural power of the left. They saw Boris as pathetic in the face of BLM, the trashing of the Centophah, statue toppling etc. Badenoch offers the possibility of the reinvention and modernisation of the party, a credible alternative to the vision offered by the left. They think that, with Badenoch at the helm, they cannot be just be smeared and dismissed as the party of white male privelege.

You could be right if it’s those two.
    Indeed. It would be a catastrophe for the Tories at the following GE though.
    Why do you think Badenoch would be a catastrophe in the GE?
    Too right wing on both economic and social issues.
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Beat that.
    Didn't know you were an Albanian taxi driver.
    Yep and I can confirm that Brexit is a great success, Putin has the right ideas about woke, and Boris will easily win the Tory leadership election.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317

darkage said:

You’re obsessed
  • My Dad's second racehorse, and first flat horse, was like the first one as part of a small syndicate. It was a two year old grey filly trained by Mikey Heaton-Ellis. He was an ex-jockey who'd had a bad fall and become paraplegic, but still become a racehorse trainer.

She seemed quite good and her first race was at a decent level 2yo race at Kempton, and Mikey had arranged for a young Italian amateur to ride her. One Lanfranco Dettori, who was still claiming three or five pounds at the time.

On the canter on the way down to the starting gate he failed to avoid a bit of the railing that had been left sticking out, and rode the filly's chest into it. She got surrounded by the green screens and we thought she was done for. She survived it, had huge vet bills, then came fifth in a sales/claiming race and got sold for a grand and a half.

I know it was really Kempton's fault, but I've never forgiven Frankie
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963

Cookie said:

Beat that.
    What an honour!

Hose it down afterwards?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,210
    Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

Western Isles Under 11s Long jump Champion.

But I think Mo Farah has won this evening's PB competition.

That's a good story. I didn't know you were from the Western Isles @Eabhal. Which one?
    I've only been to the Hebrides once. I was 17, and it was my last holiday with my parents. I'm an only child, and family holidays had gone a bit meh through my teenage years. The Hebrides though, was a totally different kettle of fish. There was very little to do, and the weather was challenging, but that somehow made everything we did wildly interesting and hugely amusing. I have glorious, happy memories of it: eating fish and chips on the harbour at Stornoway watching the seals; playing frisbee in a 30 mph wind on a beach on the west coast of Lewis; the astonishig bleakness of Callanish under leaden skies; the improbable beauty of Harris when the sun shone; peat fires; cottages sprinkled randomly on the landscape; something ceaselessly hilarious in the pub in Lochmaddy in the driving rain; golf at the RAF base on Benbecula; listening to Motorhead on my walkman in the B&B on Grimsay; glorious sunshine at the pub in Lochboisdale; arriving in Castlebay at breakfast time; seeing the plane land on the beach at Barra (which my Dad had always wanted to see - the reason for the holiday); walking to the top of Barra and the improbable sprinkling of islands from the top; sailing down the sound of Mull amongst a regatta of small yachts under a picture postcard sky; arriving back in Oban and it feeling wildly bewildering to be around so many people. And board games, conversation no longer stilted with the awkwardness of the teenage years, the 1992 Olympics on the radio with Terry Wogan, seeing the same tourists again and again and again. Weather changing every half hour. The weirdness of being somewhere so other yet still in the UK.
    Kind of a valediction to childhood. But a happy one. And more memorable than the previous seven years of holidays put together.
    Good post; brings back similar memories of my own.

It is amazing how the internet has affected these remote places. You can see them on streetview, people have filmed everything and it is all uploaded to youtube. The character is different, it is not 'remote' in the same way, the experience is primarily a landscape.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

It's a problem.
    How do you pronounce it? I had always read it - and therefore pronounced it - as more-dew-ant. But evidently it's not. Is it Mord-ant? More-dunt? Mord-aren't? I honestly don't know.

Problem solved.

I assume Mordant with the stress on the first syllable.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    Andy_JS said:

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford·26m
    EXCLUSIVE:

Totally agree, I don't think that their endorsements will be particularly helpful for Truss among the Westminster Conservative party.
    edited July 2022

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

The fact that they are economically incompetent, borderline corrupt or spectacularly inexperienced does.
    The irony of course is that the liberal society we have has been fought for long and hard by the left and opposed by the Tories at every step.
    Well why on earth would a conservative party fight for a liberal society? Plenty of Conservatives are non white, female and not liberals too. There are some economic and social liberals within the Conservative party but it is still a conservative not liberal party

Though of course not all leftwingers are socially liberal either. Plenty of those who are economic socialists are also relative social conservatives, indeed a number of them live in the redwall
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,553
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Beat that.
    What an honour!

Hose it down afterwards?
    Hugh Laurie’s first car is parked outside my house. But it doesn’t give me any special insight into the Tory leadership election…
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Beat that.
    What an honour!

Hose it down afterwards?
    Also bleach
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902
    I think it would be great to have a black woman PM in the UK but Badenoch isn’t the right person for this .

Not sure why she’s suddenly become flavour of the month .

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

It's a problem.

Problem solved.

I assume Mordant with the stress on the first syllable.
    Well I'd hoped so. I don't, in general, like names which don't have the stress on the first syllable.
    I don't hold it against any of you which have such names, of course.
    But they're just not as pleasant for an English speaker to say. They don't feel right in the mouth.
    I just saw a clip of Braverman moaning about people on welfare. It didn't look very "prime ministerial".
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    edited July 2022

I bumped into, literally, John Bramwell, the lead singer of the criminally underrated band I Am Kloot, in the corridor of a hotel in Holmfirth.

Top band.

Top front mn.

I have a photo of my good self with him as he shakes my hand and passes me a signed LP after one of his solo outings.

I got a photo with him, and me and the missus had a pint with him, after the gig we’d gone to Holmfirth to see. It was earlier that day, when we were checking into the hotel, that I bumped into him.
    Favourite track?

Northern Skies for me.

Then Proof.

Life in a Day

Good choices.

I dunno personally, hard to decide! All their albums, there are no clunkers, there are fantastic tracks on every one.

Probably something off Let It All In, maybe Bullets. I love the opening line. Northern Skies is good too. And To The Brink. Sky at Night is an astonishingly good album. Every album they did is very good, IMHO.

There’ll be stuff tucked away on other albums that’ll become my favourite when I hear them, if you get what I mean.

He’s always playing solo gigs, I saw him before Covid at the Brudenell in Leeds. See him if you can, it’s a great, intimate experience.

Edit: Fingerprints has just come on! Great song.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902
    darkage said:

I just saw a clip of Braverman moaning about people on welfare. It didn't look very "prime ministerial".

She’s now found a fantasy problem to throw some red meat to the Tory membership . I find her utterly loathsome .
    nico679 said:

darkage said:

She’s now found a fantasy problem to throw some red meat to the Tory membership . I find her utterly loathsome .
    She appears to be quite an appalling human being.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,726
    Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    9m
    Replying to
    @oflynnsocial
    and
    @MRothermere

Though showed admirable self awareness acknowledging he want being rational.
    Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    1h
    Johnson has clearly decided Truss is the stop Sunak candidate.

Top band.

Top front mn.

Favourite track?

Northern Skies for me.

Then Proof.

Life in a Day

Good choices.

I dunno personally, hard to decide! All their albums, there are no clunkers, there are fantastic tracks on every one.

Probably something off Let It All In, maybe Bullets. I love the opening line. Northern Skies is good too. And To The Brink. Sky at Night is an astonishingly good album. Every album they did is very good, IMHO.

There’ll be stuff tucked away on other albums that’ll become my favourite when I hear them, if you get what I mean.

He’s always playing solo gigs, I saw him before Covid at the Brudenell in Leeds. See him if you can, it’s a great, intimate experience.

"Time it moves so fast, and now there does not seem to be any,
    When once it seemed that there was more than plenty,
    I do believe that something somewhere sent me,
    To you,
    Astray,
    And the bald raging flame of your heart, is making me stay"
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

Bruella Saverman
    Shant Grapps
    Zadhim Nahawi
    Bemi Kadenoch
    Menny Pordaunt
    Sishi Runak
    Triz Luss
    Jajid Savid
    Tug Tomendhat
    Chishman Rehti
    Heremy Junt
    Or that Jeremy’s name isn’t Chris.
  • Senior officials held a crisis Cobra meeting inside Downing Street on Monday, as forecasters predicted that the record for Britain's hottest day could be broken at the weekend – potentially smashing through the 104F (40C) barrier for the first time.

Why do the media put things in Fahrenheit, nobody under the age of 50 understands it

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges

9m
    Replying to
    @oflynnsocial and @MRothermere

Presumably Dan also thinks that Zelensky is unqualified to 'face down' Putin.
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Well why on earth would a conservative party fight for a liberal society? Plenty of Conservatives are non white, female and not liberals too. There are some economic and social liberals within the Conservative party but it is still a conservative not liberal party

Though of course not all leftwingers are socially liberal either. Plenty of those who are economic socialists are also relative social conservatives, indeed a number of them live in the redwall
    It doesn't really matter what the Tories do or think - liberal values win in the long-term anyway...

Equal rights for women? Tories oppose but it still comes into effect.
    Legalisation of homosexuality? Tories oppose but it still comes into effect.
    Gay marriage? Tories oppose but it still comes into effect.
    Disability rights? Tories oppose but it still comes into effect.
    Anti-race discrimination? Tories oppose but it still comes into effect.
  • Sir John Hayes, chairman of the Common Sense Group of Conservative MPs, said: "This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat. It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting. Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.

"The idea that we clamour for hot weather for most of the year and then shut down when it does heat up is indicative of the state in which we now live."

These people are totally unhinged.
    Ok so sensible cabinet: PM; Tom Tugenhadt, Chancellor; ;Gove, FS Julian Smith, Home Sec: Sajid Javid Health: Liz Truss, Education; Mark Harper, Business Energy: Jeremy Hunt Defence; Ben Wallace Levelling Up; Aaron Bell Trade: Penny Mordaunt Leader of House; Mel Stride DWP Nadhim Zahawi Justice: Jeremy Wright Defra; Kemi Badenoch
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    nico679 said:

I think it would be great to have a black woman PM in the UK but Badenoch isn’t the right person for this .

Not sure why she’s suddenly become flavour of the month .

‘Cos she’s a swivel-eyed frothing right-winger. And because she happens to be black the right can piously congratulate themselves on how inclusive and modern they are.

Doesn’t change the fact she’s as reactionary as they come. It may even help to disguise how right-wing she is. The focus will be on her ethnicity rather than on the fact that she’s quite mad, politically speaking.
    Priti Patel is leaving it very late. Maybe she'll look at that 1.66% figure in the Tory Home survey and decide to endorse someone else.
    Cookie said:

Top band.

Top front mn.

Favourite track?

Northern Skies for me.

Then Proof.

Life in a Day

Good choices.

"Time it moves so fast, and now there does not seem to be any,
    When once it seemed that there was more than plenty,
    I do believe that something somewhere sent me,
    To you,
    Astray,
    And the bald raging flame of your heart, is making me stay"
    Sky at Night is the best overall LP.

They so deserved more success and fame. But maybe just being working musicians who earned a crust doing what they love is enough.

Not every one can be the Rolling Stones.

The worry is that the smaller venues that these kinds of guys play in are disappearing faster than a TSE Stepmoms dress.

nico679 said:

darkage said:

She works from gut instinct and is not afraid to reveal her prejudices, a little bit like Priti Patel. Badenoch seems to be altogether a bit wiser and smarter.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

Bruella Saverman
    Shant Grapps
    Zadhim Nahawi
    Bemi Kadenoch
    Menny Pordaunt
    Sishi Runak
    Triz Luss
    Jajid Savid
    Tug Tomendhat
    Chishman Rehti
    Heremy Junt
    Or that Jeremy’s name isn’t Chris.
    Curtis Hunt? Carsen Hunt?

or even better Cory Hunt?
  • I danced on stage with Kool and the Gang to Celebration in Miami

The band was about fifteen people, and there were about twenty other fans on the stage. Other than a maybe hispanic looking guy on the trumpet, I was the only white person on the stage. I'm pretty sure that I was easily the worst dancer

Did you make it off the train?
    edited July 2022

Ok so sensible cabinet: PM; Tom Tugenhadt, Chancellor; ;Gove, FS Julian Smith, Home Sec: Sajid Javid Health: Liz Truss, Education; Mark Harper, Business Energy: Jeremy Hunt Defence; Ben Wallace Levelling Up; Aaron Bell Trade: Penny Mordaunt Leader of House; Mel Stride DWP Nadhim Zahawi Justice: Jeremy Wright Defra; Kemi Badenoch

I think we all know that a sensible cabinet starts with PM: Keir Starmer
    OK, I'm worried - I'm catching this train next Tuesday:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L77648/2022-07-11#allox_id=0
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

darkage said:

She works from gut instinct and is not afraid to reveal her prejudices, a little bit like Priti Patel. Badenoch seems to be altogether a bit wiser and smarter.
    Nothing changes.

Braverman is straight out of a Dicken's novel wondering why the workhouses aren't more efficient and the hulk ships can't take more of the underserving poor who did not work as she did.

Sir John Hayes, chairman of the Common Sense Group of Conservative MPs, said: "This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat. It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting. Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.

"The idea that we clamour for hot weather for most of the year and then shut down when it does heat up is indicative of the state in which we now live."

The “Common Sense Group” is presumably some kind of pastoral organisation for Tory MPs that manifestly lack any sense at all.

OK, I'm worried - I'm catching this train next Tuesday:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L77648/2022-07-11#allox_id=0

At least you'll get a refund
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963

Sir John Hayes, chairman of the Common Sense Group of Conservative MPs, said: "This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat. It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting. Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.

I know he couldn't resist the lure of using a snowflake reference in conjunction with high temperatures, but what the heck does snowflake tendency have to do with climate change?

Let us never forget the right are just as capable of being snowflakes as the left.
  • I do hope that somebody's recording all of these stories and collating the results; we need a winner :wink:

Yes but we have to try and get through 2 more years of this shitshow

Yes but we have to try and get through 2 more years of this shitshow
    Fair point
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

It doesn't really matter what the Tories do or think - liberal values win in the long-term anyway...

For now but as the US showed abortion on demand is also about to be reversed in some states by conservatives. So it is not all one way
    traffic. Plenty of people here would also support a return to the death penalty, conservatives especially, for terrorists and serial killers.

Until recently the general belief was conservatives won the economic war but left liberals won the culture war.

However with governments increasing spending and intervention and voters backing tighter immigration controls, the backlash against Wokeism and the reversal of Roe v Wade in the US that is no longer so clear cut

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

An increase in the amount of surveillance in society over recent decades is not my idea of liberal values.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

darkage said:

Irma Grese was also a similarly unafraid gut instinct decision taker... I beleive we hanged her.
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

An increase in the amount of surveillance in society over recent decades is not my idea of liberal values.
    Sadly no one on left or right seems to care, save David Davis, and he’s seen as a relic now.
    Cicero said:

darkage said:

nico679 said:

darkage said:

Irma Grese was also a similarly unafraid gut instinct decision taker... I beleive we hanged her.
    (Checks Wikipedia).
    Dead ringer for Truss!

Amazing footage of Ukraine hitting Russian ammunition stores

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1546587981951238145
This discussion has been closed.