Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

CON leadership latest – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

Carnyx said:

If this thread proves one thing, it's that coming up with an interesting thing about yourself is harder than it sounds.

Is it....I think pretty much everybody who has volunteered one has come up with a more interesting than grammar school lad had music lesson with c-list musician who went to the same school.
    OTOH can't be too bad if the musical chappie himself volunteered it in the first place.
    Did he? the link in the wikipedia is from a New Statesman puff piece 2 years ago about Starmer. I doubt Fat Boy Slim edits his own wikipedia to include random articles from the News Statesman.
    Yep, but how would NS know about it else if not from him?
  • I drunkenly bowled out a drunk Nick Compton in a game of garden cricket
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,340
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

If this thread proves one thing, it's that coming up with an interesting thing about yourself is harder than it sounds.

Is it....I think pretty much everybody who has volunteered one has come up with a more interesting than grammar school lad had music lesson with c-list musician who went to the same school.
    OTOH can't be too bad if the musical chappie himself volunteered it in the first place.
    Did he? the link in the wikipedia is from a New Statesman puff piece 2 years ago about Starmer. I doubt Fat Boy Slim edits his own wikipedia to include random articles from the News Statesman.
    Yep, but how would NS know about it else if not from him?
    I presume Starmer's team. Perhaps this is Starmer's go to "funny" story.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,950
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Evidence-free, red meat offering from Braverman:

"Braverman to look at cutting welfare
    Leadership hopeful Suella Braverman says there are "too many people" on benefits and plans to reduce the cost of the welfare state if she becomes prime minister."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62115347

Braverman also laying into part time workers getting benefits on top
    What's Sue-Ellen's problem with this?

Part time work is better than no work and will presumably often help get people into full time work?
    It's also odd, because many full time workers get benefit son top anyway , all very Speenhamland.
    Yeah it's odd. The idea that the most pressing problem in the country today is benefits to support mum's doing part time work because they also have kids to look after as well as long term unemployed doing part time jobs as a stepping stone to full time unemployment is bizarre.

Hopefully Sue-Ellen goes out in the first round...
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631

I drunkenly bowled out a drunk Nick Compton in a game of garden cricket

I was a Middlesex member. No need for him to be drunk…
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,726

HYUFD said:

Leadership hopeful Suella Braverman says there are "too many people" on benefits and plans to reduce the cost of the welfare state if she becomes prime minister."

At this moment the idea you would promote such a policy is utterly bizarre but fortunately she will not get through
    Yes, she would be a gift for Labour.

Morduant being unusual in not coming out with completely hatstand ideas. She would be a real threat to Labour.
  • biggles said:

I was a Middlesex member. No need for him to be drunk…
    There was to my bowling!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,271
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Part time work is better than no work and will presumably often help get people into full time work?
    It's also odd, because many full time workers get benefit son top anyway , all very Speenhamland.
    There is a case for scaling back in work benefits, but it would have to be part of a bigger package, for example raising the minimum wage, French style transferable tax allowances for children and a better way of funding housing.
    So. You're saying it would need to part of a well-researched and.thought out redesign of our pay, tax and benefits system, rather than the first thing pulled out of the arse of someone with no economic knowledge or interest, in the hope of stroking the erogenous zones of the economically illiterate?
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    I bumped into, literally, John Bramwell, the lead singer of the criminally underrated band I Am Kloot, in the corridor of a hotel in Holmfirth.
    darkage said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

This must be her solution to the cost of living crisis. Cut benefits. Force people in to starvation and poverty.

The madness here is that Boris Johnson had a winning strategy that facilitated a political reallignment. He couldn't see it through because of his personal flaws, but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the strategy - it was successful, whereas the Cameron/Osborne austerity years were ultimately rejected.

The tories seem to be reverting to their prejudicies , beliefs and instincts ; which are about a decade out of date.
    I suspect Rishi Rich and Penny would try and continue the strategy but how successful either of them would be in that I don't know...
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    It’s either Mordaunt, Badenoch or Truss.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,225

I think Robert Smithson can boast being responsible for the largest corporate scandal before Enron.

Errr.

That makes it sound like I was involved in the fraud, rather than in its discovery.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714
    I had to procure bags of Maltesers for Lauren Bacall.

I also sang Gizmo's song from Gremlins to her rather horrible Papillon mutt.

Sotto voce. She had hearing like a bat.
    edited July 2022
    Sir Mo Farah reveals he was trafficked to the UK as a child

The Olympic star has told the BBC he was given the name Mohamed Farah by those who flew him over from Djibouti. His real name is Hussein Abdi Kahin.

He was flown over from the east African country aged nine by a woman he had never met, and then made to look after another family's children, he says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62123886

So who was his brother who famously got deported for criminality?

I bumped into, literally, John Bramwell, the lead singer of the criminally underrated band I Am Kloot, in the corridor of a hotel in Holmfirth.

Oh nice!

I loved Avenue Of Hope during the closing credits of "Sunshine"
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    It really is a democratic outrage that a new PM will be foisted on the country and allowed to govern for another two and a half years.

Should be a law forcing a GE if a PM is changed during a parliament, imo.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631

Don’t disagree. And, in fairness, that being the likely choices of our right wing party does show you how far the U.K. has come.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,355
    Rival campaigns believe Jacob Rees-Mogg is preparing to back Liz Truss
    Mo Farah heading for deportation?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963
    If someone does not get 20 nominations I wonder if it will be announced how many they go. If there's more than 1 such person we won't be able to to be sure of their exact number.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,495
    rcs1000 said:

I think Robert Smithson can boast being responsible for the largest corporate scandal before Enron.

Errr.

That makes it sound like I was involved in the fraud, rather than in its discovery.
    I know.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Removing in-work benefits would be seriously inflationary, too. And add to the labour shortage.
    Worsening two of the three most immediate economic issues at a stroke.
    Doubtless she would pay for this by putting up energy bills for the hat-trick?
    Perhaps by "too many people on benefits" Braverman means all those receiving State Retirement Pension?

Or perhaps she just doesn't know her arse from her elbow and is happy to spout any old tosh in the hope of becoming PM.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,519
    edited July 2022
    Now that Penny is favourite and Kemi is on a roll, expect the media when they finally catch up (probably in about 24 hours given previous form) to start to scrutinise them both much more closely - at the moment they appear to have been focussed on the 3 Chancellors and Jeremy Hunt more than the others, that will change and it will be Penny and Kemi’s first major test.

Remember we know them as astute performers but that is outside the particular scrutiny of a contest to become PM. They are going to get more scrutiny than they have ever faced starting very soon and they will be tested.
    Scott_xP said:

I'd like to believe that would be the touch of death, but plenty of members like JRM. What about MPs? Unlike the true Brexiteers he sold himself to pray at the alter of Boris.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,497
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

And another one. @pritipatel is poised to launch her Tory leadership bid with promise to back fracking and scrap green levies, @kateferguson4 reports.

But here's why ditching net zero would be scientifically, economically and electorally stupid.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/suffer-tories-stupid-party-net-zero-1735395

Many Conservatives believe net zero is stupid.
    Many Conservatives are stupid, then.
    We can't just keep increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. We need to stop at some point.
    As Germany fires up its coal fired power plants and gas to Germany is to be closed off for 10 days for maintenance to the pipeline
    I don't know why you're suddenly stuck in this WHAT ABOUT GERMANY but it's really not helpful.
    It helps old G get through the day and night!
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

So what 'one interesting thing' about oneself would PBers use in a conversation with a stranger? Something a politician might use.

Mine would be: "I spent a year walking the coast of the mainland UK".

Yes, that's the best I can say for myself...

I have a few things I could relate, but I guess the one I would pick was ignoring Terry Pratchett to have an hour long private conversation with Harry Harrison.

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,257

Carnyx said:

Are you campaigning to be PB's recognized expert on Fat Boy Slim? Your focus on FBS is impressive!

But saddened you are dissing both FBS & (S)KS, solely for being associated with one another in any fashion?

Starmer bad ergo Fat Boy stinks, and of course visa versa. Point being?
    Scott_xP said:

I would have thought he'd be a Priti man?
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

This must be her solution to the cost of living crisis. Cut benefits. Force people in to starvation and poverty.

The madness here is that Boris Johnson had a winning strategy that facilitated a political reallignment. He couldn't see it through because of his personal flaws, but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the strategy - it was successful, whereas the Cameron/Osborne austerity years were ultimately a failure.

The tories seem to be reverting to their prejudicies , beliefs and instincts ; which are about a decade out of date.
    Yep.
    A competent, hardworking Boris could have ruled for a decade.
    And an honest one would have done loads of good too.
    edited July 2022
    I sang Elton John’s “Your Song” to a former Labour PM at a BBQ in Islington. A Capella.
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

Priti can’t win and may not even stand.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714
    Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss desperately trying to get him not to.....
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,368
    dixiedean said:

Mo Farah heading for deportation?

Mo runny, mo problems.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,020
    GIN1138 said:

Oh nice!

In his previous career as Johnny Dangerously he came to play at our school. Just at a lunchtime concert, followed by Henry Normal doing a poetry reading. I have no idea how the two of them came to be there, and nor, I suspect, did they.
    It was very good, anyway. You should look out Johnny Dangerously, if it it still possible to find. It sort of predated widespread use of the internet.
  • What policies does Kemi want to introduce.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,449
    dixiedean said:

darkage said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

The madness here is that Boris Johnson had a winning strategy that facilitated a political reallignment. He couldn't see it through because of his personal flaws, but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the strategy - it was successful, whereas the Cameron/Osborne austerity years were ultimately a failure.

Yep.
    A competent, hardworking Boris could have ruled for a decade.
    There can not have been a more tragic figure since Shakespeare was writing.

Completely brought down by his own character flaws and yet could have strode the stage for at least decade.

What policies does Kemi want to introduce.

Tax cuts. Presumably.
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

I smell a deal.

A very smelly deal.
    edited July 2022

Carnyx said:

Are you campaigning to be PB's recognized expert on Fat Boy Slim? Your focus on FBS is impressive!

But saddened you are dissing both FBS & (S)KS, solely for being associated with one another in any fashion?

What a weird take. Fat Boy Slim in the UK pretty well known, having been in a number of bands and previously married to a famous radio DJ, so you only need to have had a cursory glance of the papers over the years to know a fair bit about him. It just isn't surprising that two middle class lads at the same Grammar school did music lessons, especially one that is a musician nor IMO "amusing".

I personally don't really have any opinion of FSB one way or another. Not really my kind of music, but makes inoffensive to the ear dance tracks.
    dixiedean said:

darkage said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Yep.
    A competent Boris could have ruled for a decade.
    One who just 10 days ago could have said:

"I knew that Pincher had offended in the past, but he promised that he had mended his ways, so I trusted him and he let me and the party down"

But he couldn't because being a compulsive liar is what he does. It is a Greek tragedy, with the main character brought down by his faults.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,553
    Voters including Tory members are desperate to draw a line under the bad behaviour of the liar clown. Therefore, my advice to the Tory prospective contenders is that if you’re the one rumoured to:

- have a secret BDSM habit, or

- be abusing your position of authority by having sex with your advisors, or

- whose financial affairs are unlikely to stand up to scrutiny,

then do yourself and us a favour, and find a reason to exit the contest before the end. The country doesn’t need another of your sort holding the highest office in the land. And you know it will only end in tears. Mostly, yours.
    ping said:

It really is a democratic outrage that a new PM will be foisted on the country and allowed to govern for another two and a half years.

Not me. I don't see why it should be a requirement in the event of unforeseen circumstances that left no choice but to change PM (why should we need to go to the polls again if they had a heart attack in office for example) , and if someone is so bad even their own party want them out I don't think it is in our interests to encourage them to stick it out because they fear a new election would occur if they changed.

I think it is an idea that sounds noble in theory but would be too inflexible and unintended in consequence in practice.

Better a party seek to refresh its approach to governance than encourage them to stagnate.
    edited July 2022

Selling all benefits recipients into slavery, or as good as.

Apart from Tory voting OAPs, naturally.

Edit: I exaggerate. But the effect would be similar, if mediated by the moneylenders or prisons instead.

She said she wanted to slash the state.

I listened to (some) of those posts earlier though and she comes across as intelligent and reasonable.

I have to confess that a Nigerian born and raised PM of the UK would be one hell of a turn-up for the banter heuristic. Part of me would love it.
    The strange thing about Suella is that she is a Mithra. Effectively a lay preacher in a religion which is supposed to be focussed on compassion.
    But the Triratnas are deeply peculiar in many ways.
    I shouldn't slag the Sangha. But them's the facts.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,346

My current guess

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,992
    edited July 2022
    Tugendhat has now reached the 20 MP nominations required to get on the ballot paper, joining Sunak on 39 and Mordaunt on 25 as the only other candidates definitely to make the first ballot

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1546600364450914305?s=20&t=kUHj34AbTzNAhmkfJVhxMw
    IanB2 said:

Voters including Tory members are desperate to draw a line under the bad behaviour of the liar clown. Therefore, my advice to the Tory prospective contenders is that if you’re the one rumoured to:

then do yourself and us a favour, and find a reason to exit the contest before the end. The country doesn’t need another of your sort holding the highest office in the land. And you know it will only end in tears. Mostly, yours.

Surely you mean "and/or"?
  • NEW: My first 2022 Conservative leadership election forecast.

I project that Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt will advance to the members' ballot, with a clear gap to Liz Truss in 3rd.

In 2019, my top three forecast was out by just one vote; here's hoping for a similar result!

https://twitter.com/patrickjfl/status/1546601353589493761
    ping said:

Nope.

We are a parliamentary democracy.

You vote for an MP and they effectively decide who is PM.

• Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,121
    I think the idea that the PM needs to be "experienced" at cabinet level is misplaced.

Boris Johnson had f-all experience, except a disastrous 3 years as foreign secretary, and was so poor at PM that anyone would be an improvement. Rishi had nothing until 3 years ago as well.

The Tories are selecting a leader to fight GE2024 and the PM bit is incidental.
  • What policies does Kemi want to introduce.

I listened to (some) of those posts earlier though and she comes across as intelligent and reasonable.

I have to confess that a Nigerian born and raised PM of the UK would be one hell of a turn-up for the banter heuristic. Part of me would love it.
    Slash the state, urgh empty rhetoric - we've tried that for a decade. It's failed.

I haven't heard her speak but she's got a good degree and back story. I would not mind her as leader.

NEW: My first 2022 Conservative leadership election forecast.

I project that Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt will advance to the members' ballot, with a clear gap to Liz Truss in 3rd.

In 2019, my top three forecast was out by just one vote; here's hoping for a similar result!

Deserves the picture to be posted:

I think the idea that the PM needs to be "experienced" at cabinet level is misplaced.

Boris Johnson had f-all experience, except a disastrous 3 years as foreign secretary, and was so poor at PM that anyone would be an improvement. Rishi had nothing until 3 years ago as well.

I agree with the general thrust, but the PM bit is not incidental to most of the country.
  • I wonder if the new leader will go for a GE anyway, depends on the polls I guess - get ahead of the recession
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,225

I took a wicket at Lords, and carried my bat. There aren't many people with as good records in the Lords score book.
    Once leered (very discreetly) at then-TV news reporter and now-TV morning talk show host Savannah Guthrie, at a John Kerry rally.

MUCH preferable (for me anyway) than the other way around.
    Barnesian said:

My current guess

Thanks.

I ran the numbers last night and came down to Rishi vs Mordaunt, with Mordaunt narrowly edging out (by one vote) Badenoch.

I can imagine a situation where Truss (see Rees-Mogg reports) Penny and Kemi out of the way, though.

I don’t think the parliamentary party actually want either Rishi or Truss which is why it’s so chaotically open.

Anyway, my prediction from last week of Mordaunt still stands.

Boy, were they criminally underated.

Top band.

Top front mn.

I have a photo of my good self with him as he shakes my hand and passes me a signed LP after one of his solo outings.

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,447
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

At this moment the idea you would promote such a policy is utterly bizarre but fortunately she will not get through

Morduant being unusual in not coming out with completely hatstand ideas. She would be a real threat to Labour.
    FFS.

She is yet another politician whose name highly educated PBers fail to spell.

dixiedean said:

The strange thing about Suella is that she is a Mithra. Effectively a lay preacher in a religion which is supposed to be focussed on compassion.
    But the Triratnas are deeply peculiar in many ways.
    I shouldn't slag the Sangha. But them's the facts.

There is a school of thought amongst religions that believe in karma and reincarnation that by being beastly to those who are working off bad karma you are speeding up their rebirth in a better state. There is a sort of twisted logic to it.

Indeed. Though she was born in Wimbledon.
    I have personally called Dominic Cummings a “c***” on the school drop.

There’s experience, and being able to learn something from experience. It’s a crucial difference.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    I see Sir John Hayes has contributed to the overall levels of hot air with another typical bit of Daily Mail rent-a-quote nonsense.

That shows Javid out at qualifying stage even though it has him meeting the 20 threshold. Or is it above 20 they need?

Interesting how few left it expects for additional support for first ballot as a result.
    Cookie said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh nice!

In his previous career as Johnny Dangerously he came to play at our school. Just at a lunchtime concert, followed by Henry Normal doing a poetry reading. I have no idea how the two of them came to be there, and nor, I suspect, did they.
    It was very good, anyway. You should look out Johnny Dangerously, if it it still possible to find. It sort of predated widespread use of the internet.
    Yeah. Johnny Dangerously is a good movie. Much under rated.

Don't you need 20 MP nominators to make the ballot in first place.

Obviously possible that some of your sponsors could end up voting for someone else, but somehow doubt the one-score ante was factored into this forecast?
    Cookie said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh nice!

Thanks. I'll see what I can find.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,992

Obviously possible that some of your sponsors could end up voting for someone else, but somehow doubt the one-score ante was factored into this forecast?
    It is under the qualification round
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,519

I wonder if the new leader will go for a GE anyway, depends on the polls I guess - get ahead of the recession

Highly doubtful IMHO. The fundamentals aren’t strong enough. The gamble is to hope the situation has improved by 2024 so you can take the credit.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

Aye, dyslexia (and fat fingers) are a harsh curse.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,000

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

And another one. @pritipatel is poised to launch her Tory leadership bid with promise to back fracking and scrap green levies, @kateferguson4 reports.

But here's why ditching net zero would be scientifically, economically and electorally stupid.

We can't just keep increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. We need to stop at some point.
    As Germany fires up its coal fired power plants and gas to Germany is to be closed off for 10 days for maintenance to the pipeline
    I don't know why you're suddenly stuck in this WHAT ABOUT GERMANY but it's really not helpful.
    Maybe because Germany is featuring heavily in euro news with serious concerns of a recession, the gas has been curtailed for 10 days, and tonight Germany is seriously concerned about Russia restarting the gas supply

Germany is a huge economy and as can be seen from the fall in the euro (greater than the pound) the predicted recession in Europe is not good for the UK

I really do not understand why those who support the EU try to close down debate on the negatives and serious economic implications for all of us

What did he say?

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

It's a problem.
    How do you pronounce it? I had always read it - and therefore pronounced it - as more-dew-ant. But evidently it's not. Is it Mord-ant? More-dunt? Mord-aren't? I honestly don't know.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583

The above prediction is what I posted on here earlier may well happen, ie:

Patel, Braverman and Badenoch all fail to get 30 votes in Round 1 if they all stand.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,078

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

I smell a deal.

A very smelly deal.
    Not necessarily. I suggested earlier that ex-remainer Liz Truss would have most ERG appeal by virtue of her trade deals.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

M
    O
    R
    D
    A
    U
    N
    T

👍
    edited July 2022
    GIN1138 said:

What did he say?
    Probably launched into a long winded speech with a load of technobabble and armchair psychology.
    edited July 2022
    Not that I see what the fuss is about particularly with her, but if it is Mordaunt vs Sunak, I expect her to wipe the floor with him.

I know having slick style doesn't mean you have no substance, but there's just something about Sunak that says to me he's a lightweight. And more vulnerable on the government's record, and Boris clearly wants him defeated to boot.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

The main concern about PM is that she’s adopting the submarine approach to the election (even her own video doesn’t mention her at all until the last fifteen seconds of its three minutes), and some of her past judgements - such as coming up with the ‘Leadsom for Leader’ march on Westminster - suggest she is potentially very flaky. A lot hangs on whether she will be able to step up to the demands and constraints of the top job.
    Just shown my ten year old daughter the list of candidate pictures, without context, and told that one will be the next PM, and which does she prefer? Her answer: Kemi.
    IanB2 said:

Being into BDSM, providing it is consensual is one of those things not like the others.
    One of those things.that isn't the same.
    Wouldn't pass the selectorate, mind. But it isn't.
  • I once played golf in a fourball with Robin Smith. Somehow it was worked out that I should tee off first. I was dead nervous, but hit a really nice drive into dogleg of the par 4.

Smith stepped up next and, gripped by the biggest fingers and forearms I've ever seen that close, hit his seven iron round the corner about twenty yards past my drive.

After that my game rather fell apart. At the start of the back nine I apologised to him about how embarrassingly badly I was playing. He said,

"Don't worry; it's a bastard of a game"

I played a bit better after that
    GIN1138 said:

What did he say?
    Grimaced and moved on.
    To be honest,

a) I am slightly ashamed of it
    b) he got a lot of abuse at the time (2019)

A Rish Vs Penny contest would be about the best of a bad old doo I think.

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Maybe because Germany is featuring heavily in euro news with serious concerns of a recession, the gas has been curtailed for 10 days, and tonight Germany is seriously concerned about Russia restarting the gas supply

Germany is a huge economy and as can be seen from the fall in the euro (greater than the pound) the predicted recession in Europe is not good for the UK

I really do not understand why those who support the EU try to close down debate on the negatives and serious economic implications for all of us
    Nobody is trying to shut you down except in your Daily Mail fantasies.

GIN1138 said:

What did he say?
    Grimaced and moved on.
    To be honest,

I'm pleased you're slightly ashamed. There's a time and a place for everything and outside the school gates isn't really it...
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

It's a problem.
    How do you pronounce it? I had always read it - and therefore pronounced it - as more-dew-ant. But evidently it's not. Is it Mord-ant? More-dunt? Mord-aren't? I honestly don't know.
    One should not simply walk into a Mordaunt premiership without knowing that.

I think the blue is currently declared nominations, red is the anticipated additional nominations before nominations close. Not sure, though, why Javid is shown as eliminated at qualification stage. Do you need >20 nominations?
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

What did he say?
    Grimaced and moved on.
    To be honest,

I'm pleased you're slightly ashamed. There's a time and a place for everything and outside the school gates isn't really it...
    I was quite the hero of the metro liberal parent chatterati for a time.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,107

I knocked Boris Johnson off his bike on Shaftesbury Avenue, back in about 2005.
    Cookie said:

Just shown my ten year old daughter the list of candidate pictures, without context, and told that one will be the next PM, and which does she prefer? Her answer: Kemi.

I am changing all my bets!!

edited July 2022

I once played golf in a fourball with Robin Smith. Somehow it was worked out that I should tee off first. I was dead nervous, but hit a really nice drive into dogleg of the par 4.

Smith stepped up next and, gripped by the biggest fingers and forearms I've ever seen that close, hit his seven iron round the corner about twenty yards past my drive.

After that my game rather fell apart. At the start of the back nine I apologised to him about how embarrassingly badly I was playing. He said,

"Don't worry; it's a bastard of a game"

I played a bit better after that

Robin Smith playing modern T20 could have been interesting.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,895
    Western Isles Under 11s Long jump Champion.

But I think Mo Farah has won this evening's PB competition.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,078

Carnyx said:

What a weird take. Fat Boy Slim in the UK pretty well known, having been in a number of bands and previously married to a famous radio DJ, so you only need to have had a cursory glance of the papers over the years to know a fair bit about him. It just isn't surprising that two middle class lads at the same Grammar school did music lessons, especially one that is a musician nor IMO "amusing".

I personally don't really have any opinion of FSB one way or another. Not really my kind of music, but makes inoffensive to the ear dance tracks.
    Hmm. So Keir Starmer's anecdote should have been that he was at school with Fat Boy Slim, and leave the violin part to the readers?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,660
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

Whatever tickles your pickle I suppose.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,855
    edited July 2022
    FPT:
    pm215 said:

MattW said:

The new improved insulation programme is still missing.

Owner Occupiers have not been regulated to bring their houses into the 21C yet.

Round here the problem is not demand but supply. Both the firms I attempted to get to sort my house out with retrofitted insulation were completely full up with work and taking on no new projects until next year; I hear this is generally the case for the retrofit industry around here.
    It's all three.

Appropriate encouragement to improve environmental performance has not been done in any meaningful way in the Owner Occupied sector, which is the least energy efficient and largest of all of them - Social Rent, Private Rent, and Owner Occupied. Since the average house is up in value by £40-50k in a little over 2 years they can all pretty much afford it without blinking, and the Govt could take a charge over say 3-5% of the house if they really need help.

Supply side - agree, but it is a very small impact on house prices as if you even increased house building by 50%, you are only adding 0.3% extra to the stock every year. Tories have done reasonably on this, but it is never going to be enough.

Demand side. Huge amounts of money - £40bn or so - poured into inflating House Prices every year. If you want to make housing more affordable, that is the one to hit.

Plus a lot of minor reforms on 20 different less important areas. Such as sorting out Council Tax to be less regressive, and dealing with over-costly rental regulation eg by introducing a national landlord licensing scheme rather than a crazy quilt of crazily expensive local ones.
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

It's a problem.
    One should not simply walk into a Mordaunt premiership without knowing that.
    No one appears to know. I've genuinely no idea.
This discussion has been closed.