Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For those with short memories… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

I never called the moderators c*nts either. I made a perfectly reasonable point that they ban people who use it once and not others who use it daily.

Leon is a thoroughly nasty shit to people on here day after day. I suppose he gets away with it because everyone knows he was once a successful author, albeit at a time when he could publish that kind of pre #MeToo trope.

But behind all of the rudeness and bluster and exhibitionism there lies a quite lonely, insecure, and somewhat sad old man. And I genuinely do feel sorry for him in that. He has had deep dark mental health issues.
    Leon was horrible to me when I was going through a crisis.

I very much doubt that. I am careful not to be mean to people who are clearly in a bad place

I am generally only mean to people who do it to me first. As here with @heathener today
    No Leon. You aren't. The vaguest comment that disagrees with you and you take that as a green light to respond with increasingly personal foul-mouthed abuse. There's a big difference and if you don't see that then that's very sad.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,635
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@CorrectHorseBattery - I initially emailed @MoonRabbit on 1 July offering to unban her. I have since reached out again.

It's a bit off that she ignores me, but complains to you.

It's a bit off that some posters insisted she wasn't banned
    There's a lot of soft moderation that goes on. The posters on here don't get to see my personal email messages.

Broadly speaking there are four levels of PB access:

(1) admin - who can post what they like and never get trapped in the spam or abuse filter
    (2) member - can post, but will occasionally trigger vanilla thinking they are posting spam
    (3) applicant - a soft ban, usually requiring only an email response to clear up
    (4) actual ban - which can be revoked, but only manually

And no, I'm not upgrading you to admin status.
    The last thing I would want to be is an Admin here.
    The 2 things no one sane would every want to be is a politician and / or a Moderator on a public forum...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Scott_xP said:

That cunning plan to woo Scottish voters in full.

Is it as cunning as this?

Amazing. Alyn Smith just said the quiet part out loud. The SNP doesn’t want a general election. It “enjoys” Tory Government at Westminster, and wants it to continue. https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1544417970130149381/video/1

Not sure ‘keep the Tories in government’ is quite the campaign slogan the SNP is looking for!

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1544419777590050821
    https://twitter.com/dennynews/status/1544410028051947527
    From one of your earlier posts it's 50 out of 59 seats cunning, so..
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    carnforth said:

Selebian said:

OllyT said:

How do you stop your email address being publicly on show?

Edit profile (top right on VF on desktop at least). Check box under your email address (which should not be ticked if wanting to hide)
    OllyT’s profile is set to private anyway, so the option’s setting is irrelevant.
    I think that is because I just changed the profile. Perhaps the email is only visible when I click my avatar but not if anyone else does? I'm not that bothered to be honest it was more that I was completely unaware of it.
  • Options
    Never seen Heathener be mean to anyone.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@CorrectHorseBattery - I initially emailed @MoonRabbit on 1 July offering to unban her. I have since reached out again.

There's a lot of soft moderation that goes on. The posters on here don't get to see my personal email messages.

(1) admin - who can post what they like and never get trapped in the spam or abuse filter
    (2) member - can post, but will occasionally trigger vanilla thinking they are posting spam
    (3) applicant - a soft ban, usually requiring only an email response to clear up

The last thing I would want to be is an Admin here.
    Being an Admin on a forum is a difficult and thankless task... although surely it's preferable to being in Boris Johnson's Cabinet? I'd rather be an Admin here than, say, the replacement minister for schools standards.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Scott_xP said:

BRUTAL interview by Johnson loyalist Murrison: "He needs to go now. He can't be dragged out of No 10. We're not a banana republic. We don't have people clinging on to power when they've lost all support in their party and the country."

Also a warning to leadership hopefuls! ~AA https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1544605329807314945/video/1

He clearly hasn't lost all support or else his MPs would already have disposed of him. Therein lies the entire problem.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited July 2022
    Anyway, have a nice day everyone and be good to one another. The world is dark enough right now without us spreading it.

I wish you all well and I really like it that for the most part I can have sensible, honest, conversation with people right across the political spectrum. There are good people on all sides and they are well represented here.

xx
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    Another thing Boris backers on the radio keep bringing up is he even caught COVID.
    That isn't a positive. Nor is it unusual.
    But they seem to think it is a clincher.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    OllyT said:

carnforth said:

Selebian said:

OllyT said:

Edit profile (top right on VF on desktop at least). Check box under your email address (which should not be ticked if wanting to hide)
    OllyT’s profile is set to private anyway, so the option’s setting is irrelevant.
    I think that is because I just changed the profile. Perhaps the email is only visible when I click my avatar but not if anyone else does? I'm not that bothered to be honest it was more that I was completely unaware of it.
    We can't even see your profile anymore, so no email visible.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    OllyT said:

carnforth said:

Selebian said:

OllyT said:

Yes, as I already said above
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Halfon has turned.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_xP said:

My statement on why I’ve lost confidence in the Prime Minister 👇 https://twitter.com/halfon4harlowMP/status/1544606043648528384/photo/1

"I'm a naturally loyal Conservative" is the problem here. Too many Tory MPs think that "loyalty" means dispensing with their critical faculties.

This could have been over weeks ago. Months ago. We could have had a new PM by now - if resignations had been tendered in February.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Re vanilla, it used to be ridiculously sensitive to posts that referenced certain pills that would apparently stiffen the make member, and would unceramoniously dump people down to applicant for mentioning them.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    An incredibly timely reminder that Labour's leadership is far from settled - Burnham is timing his runs like Lampard used to
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/06/the-country-is-in-a-dangerous-place-people-are-frightened-andy-burnham-on-power-progress-and-finding-his-place
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

The Flintstones as real people

It’s weird how DALL-E hasn’t *quite* mastered eyes and noses - yet. I suspect this is a lagging glitch from its former constraint - don’t use faces

Hair colours totally wrong for Betty and Barny. Fail.
    The actual Flintstone's content there is very low. Outfits, jewellery, hairstyles on the ladies are totally different. I'm not 'knocking' the technology; it's interesting. But I think I'm missing something. It just runs through hundreds of thousands of stock images on a database and finesses them into a single image using the command - is that right? That's impressive but not an unexpected or radical development surely?
    No, that’s not how it works

Here

https://openai.com/dall-e-2/
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761

Very tetchy on here today. I guess it's just a quiet news day with nothing much to talk about in the world of UK politics. But still, chill out people! We are all part of the rich PB tapestry.

Intriguingly the most read story on bbc news this morning is about a shop I've only vaguely heard of - The Range - stopping selling weight loss countdown coin savers - an item I had no idea ever existed in the first place!

Definitely a quiet news day.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Another thing Boris backers on the radio keep bringing up is he even caught COVID.

"Boris backers" have bugger all to work with.

Can we all agree - he isn't leading the Tories into the next election? That being a given, the issue is the mechanics and timing of moving him out.

A couple more Cabinet resignations before PMQs might do the job.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Two sources tell me Lee Anderson is about to put a statement out against Boris Johnson

Would be a significant Red Wall loyalist to turn against the PM

https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1544609162474184704

Jesus Christ! Him and Jonathan Gullis? Who is next - Matt Vickers? These people literally only exist because of the Dead Dog, and have been moronically loyal.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Robin Walker resigns as a DfE minister.

Assuming that these people voted confidence in Boris whilst he was giving them a job, we must surely be at the point where Boris would now lose a further VONC.

The "nothing to see here, move along" air of attempted normality does seem quietly comical. You're out, Boris. Accept it, with a smidgeon of dignity. Or cling on like Trump - and be laughed at by history. They are the two options.
    I like to imagine there is a different between Johnson and Trump, that Boris is, for all his many faults, not actually as bad as the Donald. Maybe I am naïve in that respect?
    I can believe that Boris Johnson will stoop to many depths, but I do not think he is likely to call a rally of his supporters and ask them to march on Parliament to stop the Remainers from ousting him.

So I believe that at least one clear difference is a reluctance to use physical violence to attempt to retain power.
    Boris appears to be considerably less competent than Trump.... :open_mouth:
  • Options

Halfon has turned.

Why? Has he started backing Boris? 😉

Being serious, he's been a firm critic of Boris post-partygate, but actually opposed the no confidence vote, so that is another one.
  • Options
    Surely Mordaunt needs to walk this morning just before PMQs to have chance in leadership?
  • Options
    On topic - how many resignations / not-my-PM statements have we had so far today?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited July 2022
    Heathener said:

Anyway, the disastrous Conservative car crash continues.

They have to stop this and fast. The more this goes on, the more likely a Labour victory becomes and the longer the wilderness years will be. Remember this.

When the Tories replaced Thatcher in 1990 they may have scraped home in 1992 but lost by their worst landslide defeat in 1997 since 1832 and were in the wilderness for 13 years.

Had they kept Thatcher even had they lost in 1992 it would not have been as bad as their 1997 defeat and they may even have beaten PM Kinnock in 1997
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

I never called the moderators c*nts either. I made a perfectly reasonable point that they ban people who use it once and not others who use it daily.

Leon is a thoroughly nasty shit to people on here day after day. I suppose he gets away with it because everyone knows he was once a successful author, albeit at a time when he could publish that kind of pre #MeToo trope.

But behind all of the rudeness and bluster and exhibitionism there lies a quite lonely, insecure, and somewhat sad old man. And I genuinely do feel sorry for him in that. He has had deep dark mental health issues.

I very much doubt that. I am careful not to be mean to people who are clearly in a bad place

I am generally only mean to people who do it to me first. As here with @heathener today
    No Leon. You aren't. The vaguest comment that disagrees with you and you take that as a green light to respond with increasingly personal foul-mouthed abuse. There's a big difference and if you don't see that then that's very sad.
    Yes whatever yawn bye. Go and buy some more knitting wool in Guildford
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463

dixiedean said:

Can we all agree - he isn't leading the Tories into the next election? That being a given, the issue is the mechanics and timing of moving him out.

Gove going would be a wonderful bookend to the Boris saga. I am quite surprised he hasn’t seized the opportunity yet.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Scott_xP said:

Amazing. Alyn Smith just said the quiet part out loud. The SNP doesn’t want a general election. It “enjoys” Tory Government at Westminster, and wants it to continue. https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1544417970130149381/video/1

Not sure ‘keep the Tories in government’ is quite the campaign slogan the SNP is looking for!

There's quite plentiful evidence that the SNP is prepared to compromise Scotland's present welfare to achieve the promised land tomorrow. I just wonder when you think that stops. Presumably you think a some sort of switch flips when the keys are handed over, and Government in Scotland becomes truly selfless and cleansed of all cynicism.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    2022 departure date nudged down from 1.19 to 1.15.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited July 2022

Halfon has turned.

Halfon was also a Remainer though
  • Options
    We dismiss HYUFD but he might be very representative of Tory members
  • Options

On topic - how many resignations / not-my-PM statements have we had so far today?

9 resignations and 2 backbenchers who publicly opposed the no confidence vote by my count.

I had the tally at 10 resignations earlier, but that was the same person twice, Sky originally misnamed them.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761
    edited July 2022

Surely Mordaunt needs to walk this morning just before PMQs to have chance in leadership?

Some people think contenders need to stay loyal. Others that the contenders need to leave.

Not sure it makes much difference myself, can see good and bad ways to navigate and explain either decision, and also different chains of events that favour either option over the other.
  • Options

He's as representative of Tory members as bigjohnowls is representative of Labour members.

No individual person is representative of members of a large party. Large parties have a plethora of members who are very different from each other, there are many wings to the Tory Party just as there are to Labour.
  • Options
    The truth will set you free, and the prime minister will soon be liberated from No 10, says @RSylvesterTimes https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/boris-johnson-told-one-lie-too-many-partygate-pincher-sunak-javid
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin now deleting his old Tweets, what an impartial academic he is
  • Options

Certainly a very large section of them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, the disastrous Conservative car crash continues.

They have to stop this and fast. The more this goes on, the more likely a Labour victory becomes and the longer the wilderness years will be. Remember this.

When the Tories replaced Thatcher in 1990 they may have scraped home in 1992 but lost by their worst landslide defeat in 1997 and were in the wilderness for 13 years.

Had they kept Thatcher even had they lost in 1992 it would not have been assad as their 1997 defeat and they may even have beaten PM Kinnock in 1997
    Had they kept Thatcher, they would have lost badly in 1992. The electorate don't often vote a government out after one term, so Labour would have been well-positioned in 1997. I can't see what particular factors would have gotten voters flocking back to the Tories in 1997 after a 1992 defeat.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    If Boris lasts more than a few more hours, Zahawi’s finances will come under proper scrutiny.

He’s unfit to be Chancellor.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

The fact of the matter is that MoonRabbit WAS banned despite posters insisting she was not. I still am not clear what she did.

Perhaps "shadow banned" is a more appropriate term.
  • Options

Halfon has turned.

Doesn't he have anything to resign from?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I'm calling peak HYUFD.
    HYUFD said:

Halfon has turned.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837
    HYUFD said:

Halfon has turned.

This isn’t some Remainer plot to remove Johnson given many Leave MPs also want rid of him .
  • Options
    ping said:

If Boris lasts more than a few more hours, Zahawi’s finances will come under proper scrutiny.

Just because he claimed taxpayers money to keep his horses warm whilst voting against money to keep children warm doesn't make him unfit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

dixiedean said:

The MPs having failed to unseat him, it’s now up to the Cabinet collectively - but they don’t seem particularly up for it either, especially not a fortnight before they’ve booked to be on a beach somewhere.

One or two resignations is easy enough to deal with, but if they’d all resigned at their meeting yesterday…
  • Options

He's as representative of Tory members as bigjohnowls is representative of Labour members.

No individual person is representative of members of a large party. Large parties have a plethora of members who are very different from each other, there are many wings to the Tory Party just as there are to Labour.
    Yes and BJO despite his nonsense is worth reading. Just as HYUFD is.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121
    HYUFD said:

Halfon has turned.

A smart chap, like you.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Two sources tell me Lee Anderson is about to put a statement out against Boris Johnson

It's interesting how Boris lying about Partygate to the House seems to have been something Boris loyalists could forgive, but lying about having been told about Pincher seems to have caused the End of Days for these folk.....
  • Options
    ping said:

From his interview this morning he's unfit to be Chancellor because he doesn't have a basic clue about economics.
  • Options
    This will come as no surprise to those who know me but I have written to Graham Brady asking for a rule change governing the holding of confidence votes & a further confidence vote to be held. Change is needed & needed now: for the sake of our Country, my constituents & my Party
    https://twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1544609047437053953
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

pigeon said:

Mr. Dickson, and that terrible decision is with him as Defence Secretary. You think a Nadine Dorries or similar would be better for Defence?

I think the Conservatives need a period in opposition. About a century will do.

PR Mr Starmer. PR.
    That's why the best outcome to the next election is one that leaves Labour as weak as possible, without the bloody Tories actually winning it again.

If Labour is miles short of a majority, doubts its ability ever to win one again, has a large and potentially resurgent Conservative Opposition breathing down its neck, and ends up reliant on both the SNP and the Liberal Democrats, then they might be persuaded to yield.

The likelihood of Labour abandoning FPTP if it wins outright is nil.
    Labour's problem is that so far they have only one policy which is to maintain the draconian Brexit but fix the Norhern Ireland protocol.

As perhaps only twenty people in the country understand the Northern Ireland protocol and even less care it's not going to have them queuing round the blocks at polling stations.

Meanwhile the door is open to anyone who wants to attract the now 60% in these islands who want the whole madcap scheme to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

In short. Is Starmer's Labour party fit for purpose? I don't think so. Does Starmer understand this politics business? I don't think so. The first rule of politics is to find policies that voters want and the first rule of selling those policies is remember the first rule of copywriting. People don't want a drill they want a hole.
    The person who will be most delighted if the chaos of the Brexit wars resumes is Boris.
    Labour cannot appease Brexiteers. They must be confronted and defeated.

Starmer surrendered yesterday: he is not fit for purpose. Labourites better pray that Durham police do their work for them.
    Labour needs the next election to be about the economy and catastrophic public services, not an ideological battle for Brexit returning red wall voters to the Tories.

I expect there will be a time one day to reset our relationship with the EU. Some things have to come first.

If Labour does get back into power, the current government has made it much easier to create a much closer relationship with the EU very quietly. When you give up on Parliamentary democracy, as the Tories have done, don't be surprised if the executive tools you have created to bypass scrutiny are used in ways that you do not like.

Thanks for the heads up: Labour intend to bypass parliamentary scrutiny and democracy. Plus ça change.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

Scott_xP said:

There's quite plentiful evidence that the SNP is prepared to compromise Scotland's present welfare to achieve the promised land tomorrow. I just wonder when you think that stops. Presumably you think a some sort of switch flips when the keys are handed over, and Government in Scotland becomes truly selfless and cleansed of all cynicism.
    I don’t think I’m particularly stupid, but I really don’t have a clue about what point you’re trying to make.
  • Options
    People might not like HYUFD's posts but he is valued as a Tory contributor here.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

From his interview this morning he's unfit to be Chancellor because he doesn't have a basic clue about economics.
    The bond markets and currency traders will soon get him up to speed.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Yes whatever yawn bye. Go and buy some more knitting wool in Guildford
    Do you know there's actually an absence of wool shops in Guildford, though there are a couple of places in the Greater Guildford area.
  • Options
    EXC @theipaper

Tories trail Labour by 10 points in new @BMGResearch poll - taken even before the current chaos erupted.

Shows Starmer is potentially on course for a majority - pending Durham Police, and events in the Conservative party.

Lovely, another 10 pointer
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The Flintstones as real people

It’s weird how DALL-E hasn’t *quite* mastered eyes and noses - yet. I suspect this is a lagging glitch from its former constraint - don’t use faces

Hair colours totally wrong for Betty and Barny. Fail.
    The actual Flintstone's content there is very low. Outfits, jewellery, hairstyles on the ladies are totally different. I'm not 'knocking' the technology; it's interesting. But I think I'm missing something. It just runs through hundreds of thousands of stock images on a database and finesses them into a single image using the command - is that right? That's impressive but not an unexpected or radical development surely?
    No, that’s not how it works

Here

https://openai.com/dall-e-2/
    It does seem to be a key element of how it works. Where they talk about 'training data', that's all the world's art and photography libraries (one assumes) that has been run through it. Don't get me wrong; it's very clever, just not imo extremely radical.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It's interesting how Boris lying about Partygate to the House seems to have been something Boris loyalists could forgive, but lying about having been told about Pincher seems to have caused the End of Days for these folk.....
    I think its more the straw that broke the camel's back.

Being wrong once is something many people are prepared to give the benefit of the doubt over and let you carry on over. Continuing to do so, even after you've just been put on notice, is a much bigger deal even if its on a less serious issue.

I've used the analogy before that to me Boris had committed Gross Misconduct so he had to go. But for many MPs they seem to have determined he was on a Final Written Warning instead. Doing again what got you on a warning, only a few weeks later, is bloody stupid and terminal.
  • Options

Or he might be quite a fringe....
  • Options
    Mr Johnson’s personal ratings stand at -44 with 20 per cent of voters saying they approve of the job he is doing and 64 per cent unhappy with his performance.

Sir Keir’s net ratings are zero, as 30 per cent of those polled said they backed his leadership of Labour and another 30 per cent were dissatisfied.

WHY WILL KEIR NOT RESIGN
  • Options
    Another one - this time from a 2019 intake Red Wall culture warrior… https://twitter.com/elenicourea/status/1544610611442728966
  • Options
    5 Live has the MP's panel now.
    They are putting out a request on air for a Boris supporting MP to come on and defend him in public.
    Unable to find one thus far.
  • Options
    One Tory MP - who is a loyalist to Boris Johnson - tells me that he's 'totally fucked'

'There's no way out for him. It's over'

Thoughts moving to Tory leadership contest

They think it will come down to a Boris loyalist vs an anti-Boris candidate, most likely Sunak vs Zahawi

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544615629763874822
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Sexual assault should be illegal, and having a drink after work should never have been made illegal.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

pigeon said:

Mr. Dickson, and that terrible decision is with him as Defence Secretary. You think a Nadine Dorries or similar would be better for Defence?

I think the Conservatives need a period in opposition. About a century will do.

PR Mr Starmer. PR.
    That's why the best outcome to the next election is one that leaves Labour as weak as possible, without the bloody Tories actually winning it again.

If Labour is miles short of a majority, doubts its ability ever to win one again, has a large and potentially resurgent Conservative Opposition breathing down its neck, and ends up reliant on both the SNP and the Liberal Democrats, then they might be persuaded to yield.

The likelihood of Labour abandoning FPTP if it wins outright is nil.
    Labour's problem is that so far they have only one policy which is to maintain the draconian Brexit but fix the Norhern Ireland protocol.

As perhaps only twenty people in the country understand the Northern Ireland protocol and even less care it's not going to have them queuing round the blocks at polling stations.

Meanwhile the door is open to anyone who wants to attract the now 60% in these islands who want the whole madcap scheme to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

In short. Is Starmer's Labour party fit for purpose? I don't think so. Does Starmer understand this politics business? I don't think so. The first rule of politics is to find policies that voters want and the first rule of selling those policies is remember the first rule of copywriting. People don't want a drill they want a hole.
    The person who will be most delighted if the chaos of the Brexit wars resumes is Boris.
    Labour cannot appease Brexiteers. They must be confronted and defeated.

Starmer surrendered yesterday: he is not fit for purpose. Labourites better pray that Durham police do their work for them.
    Labour needs the next election to be about the economy and catastrophic public services, not an ideological battle for Brexit returning red wall voters to the Tories.

I expect there will be a time one day to reset our relationship with the EU. Some things have to come first.

If Labour does get back into power, the current government has made it much easier to create a much closer relationship with the EU very quietly. When you give up on Parliamentary democracy, as the Tories have done, don't be surprised if the executive tools you have created to bypass scrutiny are used in ways that you do not like.

Thanks for the heads up: Labour intend to bypass parliamentary scrutiny and democracy. Plus ça change.
    Encouraged by you, this morning, demanding they rig the electoral system!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Looking at the number and type of Tory MPs now openly opposed to Johnson, there is absolutely no way he avoids or wins a vote of confidence. He must know that, so the only logical reason for him to hang on is because he plans to ignore the result by claiming he has a mandate from the British people. That means either a vote of no confidence in him from the full House of Commons or the Queen having to fire him. Either would be a suitably unique and shameful way for Johnson's time to end.
  • Options
    Support rapidly draining from Boris Johnson. Many of these MPs and ministers won’t be known to voters but they represent all wings of the Conservative Party. Several previously backed him. No Prime Minister can fight this level of opposition in their own party for long. #Johnson
    https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1544615727218540544
  • Options
    Understand PM tried to argue with some MPs in tea rooms yesterday that he doesn’t even really know Chris Pincher and that everyone deserves a second chance. Am told he got short shrift from a fair few of them.
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1544615740120211456
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I think its more the straw that broke the camel's back.

Being wrong once is something many people are prepared to give the benefit of the doubt over and let you carry on over. Continuing to do so, even after you've just been put on notice, is a much bigger deal even if its on a less serious issue.

I've used the analogy before that to me Boris had committed Gross Misconduct so he had to go. But for many MPs they seem to have determined he was on a Final Written Warning instead. Doing again what got you on a warning, only a few weeks later, is bloody stupid and terminal.
    It shouldn't be surprised that Boris Johnson is bloody stupid. Whilst Partygate and the Gray Report and the Met investigation were not in his control, everything else is. And time after time after time after time he has shat the bed. Self-inflicted stupid unforced error after error.

And yet these wazzock MPs say he is not only the best person to lead the country, that he is the *only* person who can do so.
  • Options

Some people think contenders need to stay loyal. Others that the contenders need to leave.

Not sure it makes much difference myself, can see good and bad ways to navigate and explain either decision, and also different chains of events that favour either option over the other.
    As a big fan of our next PM, PM, I would acknowledge that her resignation would not have altered Boris's decision to stay, so she was probably right to save it for later. I wonder whether she was offered a promotion - I suspect not.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I reckon he's very representative of at least one Tory member.
    He will vote. I think he is worth listening to, even if a fringe
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    tlg86 said:

I'm calling peak HYUFD.

HYUFD said:

Halfon has turned.

Miles to go yet.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

The MPs having failed to unseat him, it’s now up to the Cabinet collectively - but they don’t seem particularly up for it either, especially not a fortnight before they’ve booked to be on a beach somewhere.

One or two resignations is easy enough to deal with, but if they’d all resigned at their meeting yesterday…
    The problem is that most cabinet ministers know the only reason they are there is because Bozo the clown doesn't have anyone else willing to do the job and if someone else was PM they would be back on the backbenches...
  • Options

Looking at the number and type of Tory MPs now openly opposed to Johnson, there is absolutely no way he avoids or wins a vote of confidence. He must know that, so the only logical reason for him to hang on is because he plans to ignore the result by claiming he has a mandate from the British people. That means either a vote of no confidence in him from the full House of Commons or the Queen having to fire him. Either would be a suitably unique and shameful way for Johnson's time to end.

Not necessarily - he just hangs on hoping something will turn up. Maybe he'll win them over at PMQs? Maybe Starmer will get his penalty and resign? Maybe Putin will fire a nuclear weapon at a load of Labour seats?
  • Options
    Meanwhile - Chris Pincher spotted in Whitehall this morning

‘No shame’ says an MP
  • Options

Or he calls a GE.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scott_xP said:
    Any decent investigative journalists left in England? Get to work.
  • Options
    “The leader they saw beat Corbyn in 2019 is now as unpopular as the man he defeated. With a net satisfaction rating of -44, Johnson now matches Jeremy Corbyn’s ratings at the lowest point in his time as Labour leader.

BoJo, the Corbyn of Labour
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Understand PM tried to argue with some MPs in tea rooms yesterday that he doesn’t even really know Chris Pincher and that everyone deserves a second chance. Am told he got short shrift from a fair few of them.

The problem for Boris is that the MPs only just gave him a 'second chance'.

And he's gone and followed it up by saying something that isn't true - again!

Second chance had and now used up. No third chance, this isn't baseball.

You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.
  • Options
    Should Labour call a confidence vote in Parliament? Not being firmly ruled out but no huge enthusiasm. Senior aides think it would unite Tory benches again. But some more ruthlessly politically-minded types think forcing Tories to vote confidence in Johnson govt is good for Lab.
    https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1544616234695761921
  • Options
    Mr. Battery, if he attempted to call a GE having lost the support of his party (and, thereby, the Commons) the Queen would be well-advised to decline his request.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Support rapidly draining from Boris Johnson. Many of these MPs and ministers won’t be known to voters but they represent all wings of the Conservative Party. Several previously backed him. No Prime Minister can fight this level of opposition in their own party for long. #Johnson

Really - I suspect Bozo thinks he has 11 months to turn things round....
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (+7)
    CON: 32% (-7)
    LDEM: 11% (+2)
    GRN: 4% (-2)
    REF: 4% (+1)

via @BMGResearch, 28 Jun - 01 Jul
    Chgs. w/ Apr 2021 (!)
  • Options

Mr. Battery, if he attempted to call a GE having lost the support of his party (and, thereby, the Commons) the Queen would be well-advised to decline his request.

I don't think she would.
  • Options
    Lee Anderson withdraws support.
  • Options
    His only route now frankly is a GE. Or he's out.
  • Options
    ping said:

Imagine if he has to resign. :lol:
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Really - I suspect Bozo thinks he has 11 months to turn things round....
    He has 1 hour and 20 minutes to turn things round.

I find it hard to believe he won't resign before PMQs. Even with just over an hour to go.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Go to your profile, presumably https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/OllyT In the top right, there is an edit profile option. Go to that, there is then a tickbox to show or hot show your email to other members.
    Thanks to you and Selebian - I had no idea my email address was being displayed.

I have ticked the lower box but when I click on my avatar it still displays my email address. What am I doing wrong?
    You can always see your email address when logged in. To check, visit your profile when logged out.

As someone else pointed out, your profile is set to private anyway, so everyone apart from you (and mods) sees only a message saying your profile is private if they click through (not even access to a list of your posts)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

"She wasn't banned"

"It was just a technical issue"

"Perhaps her Internet is faulty"

I am sure I will get an apology for all the people that said I was wrong. If we'd taken their advice Moon would still be in trouble.

And if she replied to her email from Rob she would be back posting. Give it a rest.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.
    He quite literally and explicitly said he wasn't going to change.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

One Tory MP - who is a loyalist to Boris Johnson - tells me that he's 'totally fucked'

'There's no way out for him. It's over'

Thoughts moving to Tory leadership contest

They think it will come down to a Boris loyalist vs an anti-Boris candidate, most likely Sunak vs Zahawi

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544615629763874822

What, in the absence of Boris, is a Boris loyalist? What is the political philosophy known as Borisism that a future PM might be loyal to?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, to think it possible you are mistaken, Boris
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837
    Johnson moaning about any 1922 committee rule change is hilarious given he’s never played by the rules .
  • Options
    Mr. Battery, tough choice if she has to make it.
  • Options

"She wasn't banned"

"It was just a technical issue"

"Perhaps her Internet is faulty"

I am sure I will get an apology for all the people that said I was wrong. If we'd taken their advice Moon would still be in trouble.

And if she replied to her email from Rob she would be back posting. Give it a rest.
    Didn't know you'd joined the moderation team Tubbs
  • Options

Or he calls a GE.
    The Cabinet wouldn't support it.
  • Options
    One senior figure on the '22 tells me that they now favour a delegation going to tell Boris Johnson that it is over, and that they'll change the rules if he won't resign
    https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1544617641142370304
This discussion has been closed.