Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For those with short memories… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Stocky said:

Mordaunt back as fav for next CP leader:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

Wallace should be higher, Sunak lower but otherwise about right
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837
    Has Mordaunt said much over the last day . Wouldn’t it be better for her to get out of the cabinet now.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited July 2022

Dura_Ace said:

Good morning, everyone.

Just remarkable the cowardice and lack of judgement from almost all the Cabinet (a pass might be given to Wallace).

This Wallace?

‘Defence Secretary Ben Wallace confirms 10,000 troop cut to the size of the British Army’

How old is that? The Sea Kings are long gone since 2018 with only two in private hands at Portland for Marineflieger training.
    Yes, and it's the Royal Navy - not the army.

It predates Ben Wallace's time by several years.
    Sauna Stu's graphic is rather more obvious than that.

It includes the statement "Replaced by 28 Merlin from March 2016", which is presumably in the future.

Here's a clearer version that appeared on a forum in July 2015, so it is even older than that, and is I'd say recording the Cameron Cuts to deal with the iirc inherited £50bn unfunded plans:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/british-armed-forces-in-numbers-comparison-between-2010-and-today.384512/

Moral: don't trust bullshitters, and good spot by DA.

Anyhoo, PB today is going to be ferrets wrestling in a tar pit, so I'm off.

TX for the header, @Cyclefree .

• Options
    C*ntHorseBattery
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

Zahawi at 10 is far too short, surely?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Am I right in thinking that all those in major government jobs have pledged allegiance to Boris now? So it will have to be via 1922 rule change to get rid?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

Zahawi certainly has more chance of being next Tory leader now than Sunak
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Scott_xP said:
    This is presumably why Boris calls him an entrepreneur rather than a banker. There's always problems with those who rise without trace.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Can we have @MoonRabbit unbanned please @MikeSmithson @PBModerator @TSE

what did she do other than knock me off my perch as worst tipster on PB?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

C*ntHorseBattery

Have you been drinking? Calm down. :D
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Flintstones as

It’s weird how DALL-E hasn’t *quite* mastered eyes and noses - yet. I suspect this is a lagging glitch from its former constraint - don’t use faces

Not another day of this drivel please.

Is there really nothing better to do in Montenegro than spam a political website with this stuff?
    Dwelling abroad in wonderful locations and spending all the time sitting on a (minor) UK political forum ... it's really sad.

There is an alternative which is to immerse yourself in local culture. Get to know the people properly, try to speak their language, learn about their history and passions. It takes time and effort but is ultimately a much deeper experience and also gives you a much less superficial understanding of the world.

Even as a tourist it's possible to immerse yourself in places, which many people do when they go on holiday.
    On this one trip I’ve been to Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana - driving from Nashville to New Orleans. I then went straight to Turkey via Germany and worked in Kusadasi, then I got a boat to Samos and then a couple of days later flew to Athens. Then I went on a long busy journey to Preveza and picked up a car

From there I spent a week driving around Epirus and Meteora

After that I bussed back to Athens, where I flew to Tbilisi Georgia. I spent two weeks in Georgia visiting Stalinist museums and 12th century monasteries, then I flew to Armenia, got another car, drove all over Armenia from Yerevan to Areni to Lake Sevan to Dilijan

Then I flew back to Tbilisi, spent a few nights there, and finally flew to Montenegro via Istanbul. I’m now in the royal capital of Cetinje and from
    here I go to Lake Skadar

I’ve been drunk with Yanks in Tupelo, Greeks in Parga, Russians in Gnishik, and Megrelians in Mrshketa. I’ve seen 1500 year old Ossetian churches and 90 year old New Orleans trannies and 1 week old Montegrin liquors and 10,000 year old carved megaliths and myself in the mirror looking about 390 years old after three months of nonstop travel and “immersion”

I am now having some downtime. I’m sorry you are stuck in a semi in Surrey
    You've been to paradise, but have you ever been to you?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

Not as short as Sunak.

Oh - not THAT game!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

Is Sunak's chief problem that he won't be in the MPs' two selections or that he has little chance with the membership vote?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

MattW said:

pigeon said:

When it comes to it, MPs of whatever party, no matter how high-minded they can be when it’s their opponents in trouble, will overlook pretty much anything if they can justify it in pursuit of a higher cause (usually their job) and the polls have not turned against them. And, in truth, it’s only the last issue which really matters to them. Pincher’s groping hands, Boris’s parties and his repeated lies would be mere footnotes if the Tories were still consistently ahead in the polls.

And Johnson would already be gone if the Tories were 20% adrift of Labour rather than averaging more like 6-7%. Small wonder if Mr & Mrs Average end up regarding politics and its practitioners as entirely devoid of ethics and principle. The evidence against them is overwhelming.

Meanwhile, in other news, most of the British population is now living hand-to-mouth, or something very close to it:

Most Lloyds Bank customers have less than £500 of savings in their accounts, its chief executive said.

The head of the UK's biggest high street bank told the BBC: "80% of individuals and UK customers and families have less than £500 pounds worth of savings in their current account and their savings account."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62057301

Frankly, the more I think about this, the more astonishing it becomes. The customer base of Lloyds must be broadly representative of the general population. I might've guessed that about a third of us had nothing or next to nothing in the bank, but four-fifths?!?! Anybody in this position who finds themselves out of a job, or with unexpected bills to settle, is immediately going to have to resort to debt - if they've not already maxed out their capacity to do so. Those of working age who end up unemployed, or having to take a new job with a substantial cut in income, will be staring almost immediately down the barrel of heat or eat dilemmas or being slung out onto the street.

Essentially, a finding like this implies that most of the country - especially all those still paying rent or a mortgage - is now part of the precariat. Any significant spike in unemployment and a lot of these people will be sunk.

driving around the M60 not so long ago I was struck by the sheer number of costly cars.... BMWs, VWs other top spec brands.... not sure how it sits with the above.
    So many "costly" cars are on cheap PCP deals issued when manufacturers could actually build cars and needed to hit a sales target.
    A friend works in private banking for a bank that has an illustrious name. Perhaps “used to have an illustrious name”…

It seems that they got lax about vetting the customers they allowed to join. And lending them money afterwards

He describes large numbers of people who owned 5% of some very nice, completely unproductive assets and a fistful of credits cards drawn to the max.

One of his jobs was to force such people to sell the unproductive assets and get the money for the bank back. Quite simply he was reducing peoples lifestyles by an order of magnitude.

His guesstimate was that about 70% of the “rich” people you see, out and about, are fake.

OT: toast still stuck in the toaster. Things will not change until there is proper vetting of new MPs. And, in a world of professional politicians who know nothing but Parliament, systematic professional training and development.
    It's bizarre. Living well within your means is a much happier state to be in.
    I don't believe the Lloyds numbers to be representative of the overall picture - it looks like current account and immediate reserve savings, and overdone conclusions. What Which used to call 'emergency money'.

For example, 10 million people save into Personal Pensions, around 13 million into ISAs in the most recent year I can see.

The 80% figure as an overall number is misleading imo.

Lloyds will only know about people's accounts with them. Many of those 80% could have an ISA with a different bank or building society.
    Yes they might but so what? Customers asking Morrisons to stop ringing up the tills at £30 might nip over to Harrods for quails' eggs.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463

Am I right in thinking that all those in major government jobs have pledged allegiance to Boris now? So it will have to be via 1922 rule change to get rid?

Yes although I suppose that there is probably a small window in the current days to do a “having reflected on matters” reverse ferret.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited July 2022
    Can Boris find a total of 180 Tory MPs to give a Gov't job to before the rules are changed ?
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

No just making a point, Leon swears and uses the c word and is allowed to stay and even rejoin under new accounts but I say it once and get banned.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Rishi Sunak, Sajid Javid, Alex Chalk represent 3 v different Tory traditions - Boris Johnson has now lost every wing of the party - he can no longer govern - speaking on @GMB at 820
    https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1544580977334386690

None of them represent the hard Brexit, tax cut wing
    Neither does Boris though.

Spare a thought for Brexit. If Johnson cared remotely about it he would quit to ensure the legacy of 'Brexit' Britain. But he doesn't care. It was merely a vehicle. It's a shame Mordaunt has been kept on the fringes and not really been properly tested. I'm not sure the Tories have a better option though.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

C*ntHorseBattery

You may wish to take the day off, CHB.

Plenty of politics today in the mainstream media to watch and consider, without having to find the PB angle.
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You may wish to take the day off, CHB.

Plenty of politics today in the mainstream media to watch and consider, without having to find the PB angle.
    As I said above, I am simply making a point.
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

No just making a point, Leon swears and uses the c word and is allowed to stay and even rejoin under new accounts but I say it once and get banned.
    You're banned?

That's funny, you seem to be here and posting freely.

Leon has been banned many times over. Most bans are temporary, more like a sin bin than a full ban.
  • Options
    And people like @MoonRabbit are banned for doing nothing. This forum is ridiculous at times
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Pulpstar said:

Can Boris find a total of 180 Tory MPs to give a Gov't job to before the rules are changed ?

He also needs to find 180 MPs willing to take his shilling rather than waiting for the (obviously coming) change in senior management.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,635
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

At least he can Implement the 9% pay rise for teachers that he was pleading the Treasury for last week.

Yes, and further increase inflation.

Genius.
    When should public sector employees receive pay rises? If they can't get pay rises when inflation is high, do you support above-inflation pay rises during periods of low inflation? Or should their real terms pay always fall year on year?
  • Options
    @CorrectHorseBattery On the techer's pay - don't worry, it's 9% for new teachers only which was previously announced.
    I think most are getting 5%.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    On defence numbers, I did come across this interesting chart from the Commons Library. It seems that in general in this sample numbers *may* increase (or fall less) just before elections (!), though the last few years have been a bit of an exception with elections all over the place:

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7930/CBP-7930.pdf
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

Leon has been banned many times over. Most bans are temporary, more like a sin bin than a full ban.
    I was banned for saying "c*nt" once, Leon said it last night and is still posting. Yet @MoonRabbit remains banned despite not doing anything.

My point is valid, you might not like it but that's irrelevant.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272

Sunak pledged allegiance to Johnson at the time of the confidence vote. All someone needs is to change their mind and find an explanation for doing so that they hope doesn't sound completely self-serving.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Nigelb said:

Given the Chris Pincher scandal, it's worth noting that the new Chancellor, Nadhim Zahawi, never fully explained why he attended the mens-only "Presidents Club" dinner where dozens of women say they were sexually assaulted and harassed by the guests.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1544448292481794053

Worth noting in the context of his sticking with the morally bankrupt PM.

The poor bloody staff who get serially mistreated by politicians are ignored time and time again.

Even if this lot get thrown out - and I'll believe it when I see it - nothing much will change for them, as it hasn't in the last 4 years.
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

I was banned for saying "c*nt" once, Leon said it last night and is still posting. Yet @MoonRabbit remains banned despite not doing anything.

Is @Moonrabbit banned ? She doesn't have the "banned" picture up
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

She can't post, she just told me privately.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

C*ntHorseBattery

Just use an asterisk in the c-word, and even then use it very sparingly. And you won’t get banned. I see you haven’t been banned today. QED
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Flintstones as

It’s weird how DALL-E hasn’t *quite* mastered eyes and noses - yet. I suspect this is a lagging glitch from its former constraint - don’t use faces

Not another day of this drivel please.

Is there really nothing better to do in Montenegro than spam a political website with this stuff?
    Dwelling abroad in wonderful locations and spending all the time sitting on a (minor) UK political forum ... it's really sad.

There is an alternative which is to immerse yourself in local culture. Get to know the people properly, try to speak their language, learn about their history and passions. It takes time and effort but is ultimately a much deeper experience and also gives you a much less superficial understanding of the world.

Even as a tourist it's possible to immerse yourself in places, which many people do when they go on holiday.
    On this one trip I’ve been to Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana - driving from Nashville to New Orleans. I then went straight to Turkey via Germany and worked in Kusadasi, then I got a boat to Samos and then a couple of days later flew to Athens. Then I went on a long busy journey to Preveza and picked up a car

From there I spent a week driving around Epirus and Meteora

After that I bussed back to Athens, where I flew to Tbilisi Georgia. I spent two weeks in Georgia visiting Stalinist museums and 12th century monasteries, then I flew to Armenia, got another car, drove all over Armenia from Yerevan to Areni to Lake Sevan to Dilijan

Then I flew back to Tbilisi, spent a few nights there, and finally flew to Montenegro via Istanbul. I’m now in the royal capital of Cetinje and from
    here I go to Lake Skadar

I’ve been drunk with Yanks in Tupelo, Greeks in Parga, Russians in Gnishik, and Megrelians in Mrshketa. I’ve seen 1500 year old Ossetian churches and 90 year old New Orleans trannies and 1 week old Montegrin liquors and 10,000 year old carved megaliths and myself in the mirror looking about 390 years old after three months of nonstop travel and “immersion”

I am now having some downtime. I’m sorry you are stuck in a semi in Surrey
    You've been to paradise, but have you ever been to you?
    I think Leon has spent 2 years with (often by) himself during Covid and travel seems to be a better bet.

I can fully understand that were it not for a wife, 2 young adults and an interesting business I would be playing the role of travelling nomad - instead I'll have to wait till I sell this business.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,461
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

Morning,

The Pm fights on, after two bombshell resignations.

No10 sources say Sajid Javid warned the PM he would quit but Rishi Sunak didn’t

And that the PM feels “liberated” to go for growth - as well tax cuts - with a chancellor “who is an entrepreneur not a banker”.

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1544560234781462529

Unless the '22 get their act together we are so screwed

Yep. Boris is about to apply the same approach to his personal spending to the British economy. The Daily Express may love it but Boris is someone who is on the verge of bankruptcy and who borrows from one credit card to 'pay off' another.

He won't care as long as it keeps him in office for a bit longer.
    There is a very real danger that Johnson does irreparable damage to the nation's finances in the cause of his own self-preservation and then buggers off to America or somewhere when it is over leaving us to pick up the pieces. He is surely going to go down as the worst PM in modern history by a country mile.

With the exception of HUFYD every Tory leaning poster on PB has turned against Johnson yet the Cabinet and huge sections of the membership still don't get it. It is genuinely baffling. I kinda see why why the cabinet stick with him because most of them are no-marks who would never be seen again without Johnson's patronage but are the membership really that dim and out of touch? (Perhaps I have just answered my own question)
    The membership want hard Brexit and tax cuts, if Boris and Zahawi deliver they may well get behind him again
    We know that's what they want.

But what if they are contradictory and they can't have them? Or at least can't have both?
  • Options
    Leon said:

C*ntHorseBattery

Just use an asterisk in the c-word, and even then use it very sparingly. And you won’t get banned. I see you haven’t been banned today. QED
    No because if they did they'd appear to be hypocrites.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241
    Leon said:

Actually, Thankyou to @Heathener for making me look back over the last 3 months. What an incredible, magical experience. Three continents and maybe eight countries. An absolute privilege. I will never forget the spring and summer of 2022 - when I just kept travelling

I recommend it to anyone. You need to do it alone, tho. And that can be tough at times

I don't always with you - some of it is paranoid drunken crap. But your work trip these last few months has been fascinating to observe, so thanks for posting.

And here is the lesson boys and girls. Not everything that looks like a holiday isn't work!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

On her profile it says "Roles - Applicant"

Normally says Member
  • Options

MattW said:

pigeon said:

When it comes to it, MPs of whatever party, no matter how high-minded they can be when it’s their opponents in trouble, will overlook pretty much anything if they can justify it in pursuit of a higher cause (usually their job) and the polls have not turned against them. And, in truth, it’s only the last issue which really matters to them. Pincher’s groping hands, Boris’s parties and his repeated lies would be mere footnotes if the Tories were still consistently ahead in the polls.

And Johnson would already be gone if the Tories were 20% adrift of Labour rather than averaging more like 6-7%. Small wonder if Mr & Mrs Average end up regarding politics and its practitioners as entirely devoid of ethics and principle. The evidence against them is overwhelming.

Meanwhile, in other news, most of the British population is now living hand-to-mouth, or something very close to it:

Most Lloyds Bank customers have less than £500 of savings in their accounts, its chief executive said.

The head of the UK's biggest high street bank told the BBC: "80% of individuals and UK customers and families have less than £500 pounds worth of savings in their current account and their savings account."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62057301

Frankly, the more I think about this, the more astonishing it becomes. The customer base of Lloyds must be broadly representative of the general population. I might've guessed that about a third of us had nothing or next to nothing in the bank, but four-fifths?!?! Anybody in this position who finds themselves out of a job, or with unexpected bills to settle, is immediately going to have to resort to debt - if they've not already maxed out their capacity to do so. Those of working age who end up unemployed, or having to take a new job with a substantial cut in income, will be staring almost immediately down the barrel of heat or eat dilemmas or being slung out onto the street.

Essentially, a finding like this implies that most of the country - especially all those still paying rent or a mortgage - is now part of the precariat. Any significant spike in unemployment and a lot of these people will be sunk.

driving around the M60 not so long ago I was struck by the sheer number of costly cars.... BMWs, VWs other top spec brands.... not sure how it sits with the above.
    So many "costly" cars are on cheap PCP deals issued when manufacturers could actually build cars and needed to hit a sales target.
    A friend works in private banking for a bank that has an illustrious name. Perhaps “used to have an illustrious name”…

It seems that they got lax about vetting the customers they allowed to join. And lending them money afterwards

He describes large numbers of people who owned 5% of some very nice, completely unproductive assets and a fistful of credits cards drawn to the max.

One of his jobs was to force such people to sell the unproductive assets and get the money for the bank back. Quite simply he was reducing peoples lifestyles by an order of magnitude.

His guesstimate was that about 70% of the “rich” people you see, out and about, are fake.

OT: toast still stuck in the toaster. Things will not change until there is proper vetting of new MPs. And, in a world of professional politicians who know nothing but Parliament, systematic professional training and development.
    It's bizarre. Living well within your means is a much happier state to be in.
    I don't believe the Lloyds numbers to be representative of the overall picture - it looks like current account and immediate reserve savings, and overdone conclusions. What Which used to call 'emergency money'.

For example, 10 million people save into Personal Pensions, around 13 million into ISAs in the most recent year I can see.

The 80% figure as an overall number is misleading imo.

Lloyds will only know about people's accounts with them. Many of those 80% could have an ISA with a different bank or building society.
    Yes they might but so what? Customers asking Morrisons to stop ringing up the tills at £30 might nip over to Harrods for quails' eggs.
    The "so what" is that Lloyds have no idea what proportion of their customers have access to a reasonable level of savings.

I have accounts with two British financial institutions. One of them knows I have plenty of savings and the other doesn't.
  • Options
    @MoonRabbit should be allowed back. Leon has done much worse than Moon ever did. Despicable behaviour from the moderation team quite frankly
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I assume you now support 9% pay rises. Having been dead set opposed to similar the other week when the railway and barristers were on strike.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

May be an IT issue her end? She's not banned and looking back at her lest few posts no reason why she would be.
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

You're not banned. If you've been banned once then that's not much to write home about, so have I been, Leon has been banned about as many times as "this is the end surely" for Boris Johnson.

This website is the personal website of Our Genial Host and OGH, Robert, TSE and the rest of the admins and regular contributors run a very good website that is well respected and it is their rules that have to be respected.

If you don't like it, then nobody makes you go to their site, but if you do then you should show them some respect. If you're in a bad mood, then I'd recommend going for a walk, getting some fresh air, and taking a little break until things seem a bit cheerier - I know its difficult, but don't take it out on the admins here.
    No I am pissed off because MoonRabbit is banned and can't post despite the fact she hasn't done anything. And yet Leon swears and swears and is allowed to continue posting. I say cunt once and get banned.

I am pointing out the hypocrisy.

I can see you're wound up by this, maybe go for a walk and calm down.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

May be an IT issue her end? She's not banned and looking back at her lest few posts no reason why she would be.
    No it isn't an IT issue, she can't post because her posting rights have been removed. Look at evidence above.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

Is Sunak's chief problem that he won't be in the MPs' two selections or that he has little chance with the membership vote?
    More the latter, Zahawi beat Sunak 43% to 31%, Truss beat Sunak 50% to 35%, Mordaunt beat Sunak 58% to 33% and Wallace beat Sunak 59% to 25% in this week's ComHome next Tory leader runoff surveys

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/04/next-tory-leader-play-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    Britain Predicts — model update:

LAB: 306 MPs (+104)
    CON: 245 (-120)
    SNP: 50 (+2)
    LDEM: 24 (+13)

Drilldown:
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/06/britainpredicts/ https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1544595825493479424/photo/1
  • Options
    Roles Applicant for Moon, so she has had her posting rights removed as I said. Also very mean that nobody could tell up to now as it doesn't show banned.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

More the latter, Zahawi beat Sunak 43% to 31%, Truss beat Sunak 50% to 35%, Mordaunt beat Sunak 58% to 33% and Wallace beat Sunak 59% to 25% in this week's ComHome next Tory leader runoff surveys

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/04/next-tory-leader-play-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/
    While it's an interesting survey, it has significant sampling issues and it is before there's been a leadership campaign. I'm not certain how much weight we should put in it.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

No it isn't an IT issue, she can't post because her posting rights have been removed. Look at evidence above.
    I often can't post via my iphone / ipad - that's got everything to do with strange IT issues and nowt to do with my posting rights.

Try posting via vf.politicalbetting.com
  • Options

We know that's what they want.

But what if they are contradictory and they can't have them? Or at least can't have both?

But they can have them both. The economy will crash, but that is a problem for the next guy...
  • Options

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

Can @mods please clarify
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

You're not banned. If you've been banned once then that's not much to write home about, so have I been, Leon has been banned about as many times as "this is the end surely" for Boris Johnson.

This website is the personal website of Our Genial Host and OGH, Robert, TSE and the rest of the admins and regular contributors run a very good website that is well respected and it is their rules that have to be respected.

If you don't like it, then nobody makes you go to their site, but if you do then you should show them some respect. If you're in a bad mood, then I'd recommend going for a walk, getting some fresh air, and taking a little break until things seem a bit cheerier - I know its difficult, but don't take it out on the admins here.
    No I am pissed off because MoonRabbit is banned and can't post despite the fact she hasn't done anything. And yet Leon swears and swears and is allowed to continue posting. I say cunt once and get banned.

Moonrabbit isn't banned, check her profile: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/moonrabbit

If she can't post, then she's having technical problems, its not a ban.

To see what banned looks like, isam is banned. I don't agree with isam being banned, but its not my site, so I'm not going to argue: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/isam

You continuing to use the c-word after being told not to isn't big or clever, especially at not even 9:30am let alone post-lagershed. You're not banned, if you got sin binned once then cool your heels and accept the rules as they are.
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

I often can't post via my iphone / ipad - that's got everything to do with strange IT issues and nowt to do with my posting rights.

No try reading.

She can't post because her rights to post have been REMOVED.

Her ROLE is Applicant, meaning she can't post. If you need to post you need to be a MEMBER.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Mordaunt 5.8
    Sunak 6.2
    Truss 10
    Zahawi 10
    Wallace 10.5
    Hunt 13.5
    Javid 14

While it's an interesting survey, it has significant sampling issues and it is before there's been a leadership campaign. I'm not certain how much weight we should put in it.
    ConHome's survey was pretty close to Johnson's winning margin over Hunt in 2019.

Plus even Yougov's Tory members poll had Sunak collapsed to 5th last month in terms of next Tory leader preference with Wallace in front

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/06/06/snap-poll-conservative-members-want-mps-vote-keep-

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

DALL-E 2 MORNING UPDATE

DALL-E is now getting scarily, scarily good at faces. Despite the fact that faces have only been “permitted” for a week or two

That person does not exist. Yet the only tiny clue is some blurring at the hairline/temple

Conclusions: the potential for porn deep fakes is troubling. You’re still not allowed to use “real” faces - but inevitably that prohibition will fail. You’ll be able to depict anyone doing anything with 100% accuracy

Also: photography as “art” is finished. Dead. DALL-E does this for free in seconds, 24/7

Also: what happens when DALL-E is allowed to do moving images? Films? TV? With AI voice generation that will open up amazing possibilities for movies made with entirely fake “people” - who don’t need to be paid

What a banal understanding you have of what photography as 'art' is!

You really don't have an idea what youre talking about do you?
  • Options

Leon said:

Actually, Thankyou to @Heathener for making me look back over the last 3 months. What an incredible, magical experience. Three continents and maybe eight countries. An absolute privilege. I will never forget the spring and summer of 2022 - when I just kept travelling

I recommend it to anyone. You need to do it alone, tho. And that can be tough at times

I don't always with you - some of it is paranoid drunken crap. But your work trip these last few months has been fascinating to observe, so thanks for posting.

And here is the lesson boys and girls. Not everything that looks like a holiday isn't work!
    Not gonna lie there have been several moments over the last months when I’ve just thought: ok fuck it I’m going home

Yet I didn’t. And now that it’s coming to an end.. I don’t want to go home. Of course

I honestly recommend it to anyone. Exhilarating. Travel like you are 19 on a gap year. You learn a lot about yourself. You also learn that - despite Covid, war, etc - it’s still pretty easy to travel around the world and wherever you go almost everyone is warm and welcoming. Which is, quite frankly, great
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: the resignations have started again.

Laura Trott, a rising star of the 2019 Tory intake, has quit has PPS to the Department for Transport:

"Trust in politics is - and must always be - of the upmost importance, but sadly in recent months this has been lost. "

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1544579661971296261

"In recent months". What a twat.
    Another reason the solicitor generals resignation was the best justified so far - he made direct reference to cumulative effect of scandals going back to last year.

So while people might lament it took him so long at least he acknowledged the problems go way back and it just became too much. Not that the problems are new.
    His principled objections might have more force had he not remained silent while the government he supported, the A-G and the Lord Chancellor made unwarranted and scurrilous attacks on lawyers, in breach of their oaths of office. He is a lawyer himself. He should have spoken up. He did not.

All of these Ministers now magically discovering their principles - some 3 years after they supported and campaigned for someone they knew then was a liar and unfit for office - don't get away with it so easily.

They did nothing then. They have done nothing to clean up Westminster's culture. They turned a blind eye.They voted for the laws which have disgraced our country.

Doubtless it is all very exciting now. But they don't get to pose as people of principle now, for God's sake! Rats leaving a sinking ship would be more accurate.
  • Options
    Sorry - has everyone forgotten that only last night the PM apologised for appointing Chris Pincher, having spent days denying first any knowledge and then any responsibility? Seems like it from the bulk of this morning’s interviews with the chancellor.

Can’t quite shrug the feeling that some reporting has “moved on” - from the very reason the Chancellor and the Health Secretary tended their resignations??

https://twitter.com/skynewsniall/status/1544598619306745856
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

Moonrabbit isn't banned, check her profile: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/moonrabbit

To see what banned looks like, isam is banned. I don't agree with isam being banned, but its not my site, so I'm not going to argue: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/isam

You continuing to use the c-word after being told not to isn't big or clever, especially at not even 9:30am let alone post-lagershed. You're not banned, if you got sin binned once then cool your heels and accept the rules as they are.
    Look mate why don't you learn to read.

She can't post because her Role has been set to Applicant.

You can only post if you have a ROLE as Member.
  • Options

eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

No try reading.

Her ROLE is Applicant, meaning she can't post. If you need to post you need to be a MEMBER.
    I noticed that post.

@rcs1000 @MikeSmithson What is far far worse and needs to be dealt with immediately is that her email address is publicly visible because of the status you've set her account at,
  • Options

@MoonRabbit should be allowed back. Leon has done much worse than Moon ever did. Despicable behaviour from the moderation team quite frankly

It's a privately-run site. OGH, Robert and TSE don't owe anything to you or me or MoonRabbit or anyone.

Moderation is a thankless task. I don't know the circumstances of this particular episode, but frankly there are people on the forum I moderate who are more trouble than they're worth, and no amount of "this is despicable" wailing will persuade me to waste yet more time hand-holding them into learning how to behave like a human being.

Freedom of speech on the internet means that if you don't like it, you're at liberty to start your own site. Hosting is cheap and plentiful.
    There is no particular episode - that's the point.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

C*ntHorseBattery

Or MalcG for that matter. Who is 100 times more obscene
  • Options

If you don't like the way this site is run you can create your own. Lots of people manage to rub along mostly okay here, most of the time.

I might chafe occasionally under the mostly benign dictatorship operated by OGH and his henchmen, but I see no reason to attempt to launch a Revolution here when I can go and post to my own blog, or slum it on the Guardian comments, etc, if I'm ever too annoyed.

Accept the site for what it is. Flawed in some ways, but uniquely compelling in others.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    Is @moonrabbit banned?
    I was wondering why we hadn't heard from her just yesterday?
    Assumed she was on holiday.
  • Options
    If you want to be able to post here, you need to have a Role on your profile as Member.

MoonRabbit's is set to Applicant, i.e. what you get before your profile is verified, meaning you can't post, you can only view.

It is not an issue on her end, doesn't help that a bunch of smart arses here think they know better.

@PBModerator please can you resolve so we can have her back.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

No try reading.

I noticed that post.

@rcs1000 @MikeSmithson What is far far worse and needs to be dealt with immediately is that her email address is publicly visible because of the status you've set her account at,
    I pointed this out months ago regarding Moonrabbit but was told this was her choice when she set herself up.
  • Options

If you want to be able to post here, you need to have a Role on your profile as Member.

MoonRabbit's is set to Applicant, i.e. what you get before your profile is verified, meaning you can't post, you can only view.

It is not an issue on her end, doesn't help that a bunch of smart arses here think they know better.

@PBModerator please can you resolve so we can have her back.

or at least fix the fact you can see her email address..
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

No try reading.

I noticed that post.

Yeah, I noticed that - then went and checked mine sharpish. Possibly that MR has show email address box ticked in the settings?

Horse, people get banned generally and I can't see any reason to do it differently for MR, so I would wait and see whether this is an IT issue or other cock-up rather than deliberate.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Those two companies bring back happy memories of some of my more interesting investigations.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Scott_xP said:

Sorry - has everyone forgotten that only last night the PM apologised for appointing Chris Pincher, having spent days denying first any knowledge and then any responsibility? Seems like it from the bulk of this morning’s interviews with the chancellor.

Can’t quite shrug the feeling that some reporting has “moved on” - from the very reason the Chancellor and the Health Secretary tended their resignations??

https://twitter.com/skynewsniall/status/1544598619306745856

My dad noted that this morning.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

TBF a ban is hardly a sanction to someone with dozens of accounts, tho, is it?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1544436403244785664

Ian Fraser
    @Ian_Fraser
    UK’s new chancellor Nadhim Zahawi banked £1.3m from
    @Gulf_Keystone
    while working as an MP, keeping his overall second-job earnings hidden due to a loophole. Zahawi’s total pay from the oil firm included a £285k “settlement” on becoming a minister.

I wonder if the Common's standard's committee has actually investigated this and what the result was...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leon said:

DALL-E 2 MORNING UPDATE

DALL-E is now getting scarily, scarily good at faces. Despite the fact that faces have only been “permitted” for a week or two

That person does not exist. Yet the only tiny clue is some blurring at the hairline/temple

Conclusions: the potential for porn deep fakes is troubling. You’re still not allowed to use “real” faces - but inevitably that prohibition will fail. You’ll be able to depict anyone doing anything with 100% accuracy

Also: photography as “art” is finished. Dead. DALL-E does this for free in seconds, 24/7

Also: what happens when DALL-E is allowed to do moving images? Films? TV? With AI voice generation that will open up amazing possibilities for movies made with entirely fake “people” - who don’t need to be paid

What a banal understanding you have of what photography as 'art' is!

You really don't have an idea what youre talking about do you?
    Given that you think DALL-E 2 is roughly the same as CGI or Photoshop, I suggest we don’t have this debate as you will look a fool. Yet again

• Options
    xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz Posts: 37
    Bloomberg/Alex Wyckham rumouring that six to eight cabinet ministers are coordinating a resignation.
  • Options
    eek said:

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1544436403244785664

Ian Fraser
    @Ian_Fraser
    UK’s new chancellor Nadhim Zahawi banked £1.3m from
    @Gulf_Keystone
    while working as an MP, keeping his overall second-job earnings hidden due to a loophole. Zahawi’s total pay from the oil firm included a £285k “settlement” on becoming a minister.

I wonder if the Common's standard's committee has actually investigated this and what the result was...

How a minister's wife might want to distance herself from the fact she is an eye-wateringly rich minister's wife?

"She applied to Companies House to change her name on company documents back to her maiden name."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/vaccine-ministers-100m-property-empire-24562439
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

Which quite probably might be a technical issue rather than deliberate.

Have you tried emailling or messaging the moderators to ask why that is? Rather than repeatedly using the -c-word in a tantrum against them?

Its certainly an issue though that Moonrabbit's email address is publicly visible and that definitely ought to be fixed. @PBModerator
  • Options
    Moon should be given an apology by the moderation team for whatever happens, she feels hard done by and I can see why.

And the smart arses who think they know better should shut up about it because they don't know anything evidently. Just assumed I was wrong because I wrote it, if one of their mates had been written it they'd be giving out high fives.

Moon is a good poster, don't agree with a lot of what she says but she deserves to be allowed to post here.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

No try reading.

I noticed that post.

Yeah, I noticed that - then went and checked mine sharpish. Possibly that MR has show email address box ticked in the settings?

Horse, people get banned generally and I can't see any reason to do it differently for MR, so I would wait and see whether this is an IT issue or other cock-up rather than deliberate.
    Didn't know that was an option - I had mine as visible which I've corrected.

Being blunt it's a very strange option to have on a website in this day and age...
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

Have you tried emailling or messaging the moderators to ask why that is? Rather than repeatedly using the -c-word in a tantrum against them?

Its certainly an issue though that Moonrabbit's email address is publicly visible and that definitely ought to be fixed. @PBModerator
    I already did tag them.

This has been an issue for days.

You were wrong, not that you can admit it because you never can. You just assumed I was wrong without even looking at what I had told you.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,686

HYUFD said:
    I assume you now support 9% pay rises. Having been dead set opposed to similar the other week when the railway and barristers were on strike.
    I very much hope that young HY does! As the only true Conservative here on PB, it is his duty to follow the policies and proclaim the virtues of the Conservative leadership, whoever and whatever they happen to be at the time.

In doing this, young HY is totally consistent. You cannot fault him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Not gonna lie there have been several moments over the last months when I’ve just thought: ok fuck it I’m going home

Yet I didn’t. And now that it’s coming to an end.. I don’t want to go home. Of course

I honestly recommend it to anyone. Exhilarating. Travel like you are 19 on a gap year. You learn a lot about yourself. You also learn that - despite Covid, war, etc - it’s still pretty easy to travel around the world and wherever you go almost everyone is warm and welcoming. Which is, quite frankly, great
    You're not on a gap year though - AIUI you have been working on the trip. OK so I know gap year students also do some bar work, but I assume your travel writing flink-knapping pays a little more than pulling pints.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Nevertheless it's after 10 am there, and you should be out seeing or doing something...
    After 3 months of constant wonderful but sometimes pretty challenging solo travel, I think I know when I need to be “doing something”
    As someone with decreasing mobility and who is increasingly housebound, I must say I find Leon's travelogues very interesting. They do make me jealous but of course I have had my chance! Not quite as keen on some of his politics though!
  • Options
    Moon has had this issue for weeks, she has only just told me. As one of our most frequent posters, I am disappointed nobody in the moderation team noticed. Hope they will resolve it sharpish now
  • Options
    eek said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

No try reading.

I noticed that post.

Didn't know that was an option - I had mine as visible which I've corrected.

Being blunt it's a very strange option to have on a website in this day and age...
    It appears to be a setting in Vanilla Forums and only makes your email visible to others who are logged in. I recommend people go change their own settings.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

One trip which I would like to have done - and would still do if I could - is to travel round the old Roman Eastern Empire. From Istanbul by train to Aleppo and Damascus, seeing Palmyra and other ancient sites (now impossible, alas), to Jordan and Libya - to see Leptis Magna - then Tunisia. Then to Iran and parts of Iraq and on the way home via Greece and Sicily and Southern Italy to explore in more depth the Greek and Roman history there.

Some of it is still doable. But I regret not having visited Syria before it was destroyed.

I have enjoyed your reports from the lesser known parts of Turkey, though. Thank you.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

No try reading.

I noticed that post.

Naah. You haven't been properly hacked until you scroll through PB and read a post written by an account with your name and photo which gives precisely the opposite opinions that you hold...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

You're not on a gap year though - AIUI you have been working on the trip. OK so I know gap year students also do some bar work, but I assume your travel writing flink-knapping pays a little more than pulling pints.
    From memory it usually just pays for the trip - but that's 1 free week in a nice hotel with all food included.

the one time I've done that (thanks to the Times) it was rather nice - the only issue was that it wasn't full board and the decent restaurants round Sandy Lane were blooming expensive even in 2018...
  • Options
    xyzxyzxyz said:

Bloomberg/Alex Wyckham rumouring that six to eight cabinet ministers are coordinating a resignation.

And Boris will continue merrily onward...
  • Options
    People are insistent that Johnson has to go. And to remove all doubt, he should go even if him staying is good for Labour - it's certainly not good for the country which is more important.

But I remain sceptical he will actually go. Because he cares only about himself.
  • Options

C*ntHorseBattery

You're banned?

I already did tag them.

This has been an issue for days.

You were wrong, not that you can admit it because you never can. You just assumed I was wrong without even looking at what I had told you.
    She's not banned, there's an issue with her status, but we don't know why. It might not even be anything the moderators have done, it might be because she's changed her email address and hasn't clicked the link to confirm it.

Simply swearing at the moderators calling them c**ts isn't a mature way to get it resolved.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anyone know how accurate this is ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/raymondopolis/status/1544440058672951296
    Turkey found 694Mt of rare earths—that's 6x the size of all other global reserves and _15x_ the reserves of China, which currently dominates the market. Enough for >1,000 years at current demand. What happens now??

It sounds more like "discovered estimated resources" than "reserves". For "reserves", it has to be extractible at a profit:

A resource is that amount of a geologic commodity that exists in both discovered and undiscovered deposits—by definition, then, a “best guess.” Reserves are that subgroup of a resource that have been discovered, have a known size, and can be extracted at a profit.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s been a mix of work and pleasure. Several assignments looped together with my own diversions in between

So yes not a gap year in that sense, but the glorious freedom is similar - as are the down moments. Homesickness, loneliness

On the whole, tho: 👍👍👍

• Options
    eek said:

xyzxyzxyz said:

And Boris will continue merrily onward...
    With Nadine continuing in place..

• Options
    https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1544602486752903168

Boris speaks exclusively to @mailplus

"I'll smash on and deliver"

More babies on the way then?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Sajid Javid will do his resignation statement to Parliament *this morning*

It will come ahead of after PMQs and the prime minister's appearance at the liaison committee

Meanwhile ministerial resignations abound

Shaping up to be a truly epic day in Parliament...

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544602438417670146
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

I'm quite enjoying the fact that, on a day the Johnson Government is collapsing, 90% of comments on a political betting website relate to the finer points of forum moderation.

Horse and MoonRabbit CCHQ BJHQ employees engaged in some creative dead-catting? :open_mouth:
This discussion has been closed.