Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

17% say BREXIT’s made life better – 45% say worse – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

It isn't yet clear quite what happened in this sexual assault, but for a whip to be acting like this does show that we still have a long way to go in tackling entrenched abuses of power in Westminster, in particular of sexual abuse.

That's very likely bollocks. He seems to have got drunk and gropey in the Carlton Club. It's a odd feature of earnest leftydom to insist that sex is not really about sex, rapists aren't really after sex but reinforcing the patriarchal phallocratic power structure etc.
    I think bollocks were very definitely involved!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,579
    edited June 2022

Last days of Rome stuff from the government now.

Makes "I Claudius" look like "Mary Poppins" (Albeit with better British accents)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Jonathan said:

🔶+🌹>🌳

Test
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It’s interesting that the number of remain voters who think it’s had a positive effect has doubled.

Is it as interesting that the number of Leave voters who think it's made things worse has more than doubled?
    And that margin completely swamps the tiny element Anabob focusses on.
    ? I think you are confusing me someone else. I haven’t made any comment about the margins!
    Yep, sorry, not clear. More (a bit) leave voters have shifted to thinking Brexit is crap than the total number of remain voters who think it is okay.
    I don’t think it’s okay at all. I think it’s shit. But it’s a reality that we have to get used to: water under the bridge.
    More like water OVER the bridge. But point well taken.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

It isn't yet clear quite what happened in this sexual assault, but for a whip to be acting like this does show that we still have a long way to go in tackling entrenched abuses of power in Westminster, in particular of sexual abuse.

That's very likely bollocks. He seems to have got drunk and gropey in the Carlton Club. It's a odd feature of earnest leftydom to insist that sex is not really about sex, rapists aren't really after sex but reinforcing the patriarchal phallocratic power structure etc.
    Well he does have form, and many of the cases being investigated are about abuse of patriarchal power structures.
  • Options
    Isner vs Sinner in men's singles tomorrow in near anagram shock
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Today marks the end of what is surely one of the worst terms in #SCOTUS history. Guns and prayer and abortion got most of the attention. But that's not all the Court did. Here are just some of the Court's bad decisions…
    https://twitter.com/5thCircAppeals/status/1542522257511026689

Rivas-Villegas -- SCOTUS reversed the lower court to give a cop qualified immunity for using excessive force
    Tahlequah v. Bond -- SCOTUS reversed the lower court to give a cop qualified immunity for killing a man
    Shoop v. Twyford -- SCOTUS made it harder to get habeas relief
    Brown v. Davenport -- SCOTUS made it harder to get habeas relief
    Shinn v. Ramirez -- SCOTUS made it harder to get habeas relief
    Zubaydah -- SCOTUS allowed the Govt to withhold information about torture on CIA black sites
    Vaello-Madero -- SCOTUS denied SS benefits to residents of Puerto Rico
    Cummings -- SCOTUS disallowed recovery for emotional-distress damages in civil rights lawsuits
    Patel -- SCOTUS stripped federal courts of jurisdiction to review fact issues in immigration proceedings
    Biden v. Missouri -- SCOTUS blocked a federal vaccine mandate
    Garland v. Gonzalez -- SCOTUS denied long-detained immigrants' access to a bond hearing
    Johnson v. Arteaga-Martinez -- SCOTUS denied long-detained immigrants' access to a bond hearing
    FEC v. Ted Cruz -- SCOTUS struck down campaign finance restrictions to enable Ted Cruz to pay himself back for loans he made to his own campaign (from donations post election)
    Egbert v. Boule -- SCOTUS further limited a person's ability to sue federal officers (Bivens actions)
    Vega v. Tekah -- SCOTUS weakened enforcement of Miranda rights
    Carson v. Makin -- SCOTUS undermined the Establishment Clause, forcing states to fund private religious schools
    Kennedy v. Bremerton Sch. Dist. -- SCOTUS undermined the Establishment Clause, allowing football coach to have public/publicized Christian prayers at football games
    Denezpi -- SCOTUS recognized tribal sovereignty just enough to allow an Indian defendant to be prosecuted twice for the same crime (no double jeopardy), then...
    Castro-Huerta -- SCOTUS undermined tribal sovereignty by making tribal land "part of state" and allowing state to exercise jurisdiction on tribal land
    Bruen -- SCOTUS struck down NY's 100yo restriction on concealed carry to expand 2A and limit gun restrictions
    U.S. v. Texas -- SCOTUS allowed Texas's "bounty hunter" antiabortion law to go into effect
    Dobbs -- SCOTUS overruled Roe & Casey, eliminating the federal right to abortion and enabling severe (life-threatening) restrictions on abortion to go into effect
    West Virginia v. EPA -- SCOTUS undermined the EPA's ability to regulate emissions and fight global warming

Note, shadow docket decisions - with no published reasons - not included in above list.

This seems to miss the ruling where a prison warden watched a prisoner who was a suicide risk wrap a a telephone cord round their neck and strangle himself for 10 minutes without the warden taking any action.

Court ruled they had qualified immunity.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,113

It’s all rather dull and academic, because the chances of us returning to the EU in the foreseeable future are nil.

I find Brexit one of the most boring topics on Earth these days. It’s happened. We lost. It was saddening. Most of us eventually got over it. Life goes on.

It’s rather like covid, in that some people simply cannot seemingly bear to accept it as a reality of normal life.

I guess it depends how you define the foreseeable future. Since the future is essentially unknowable, you could say that the foreseeable future is a very short period of time indeed. But if you define it as, say, 20 years, I think the chances of us rejoining are definitely not nil. The first step to making it happen is to make sure the public notices every single cost and inconvenience of Brexit. A relentless guerilla information war against the lying Brexit establishment. It won't be especially edifying.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Well he does have form, and many of the cases being investigated are about abuse of patriarchal power structures.
    Why can't they just be about what they look as if they are about without the cod sociology overlay?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Pincher by name...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Pulpstar said:

Pincher by name...

Carry on Conservatives
  • Options
    Perhaps worth noting that most-of-the-time Labour MP Tom Driberg was notorious for propositioning fellow MPs or just about any other handy male.

However, nobody in the Labour Party was ever nuts enough to give him a government job.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,388

Prospect of world recession wipes 13 trillion dollars off markets and no mention of brexit would you believe

The worst start ever recorded

This crisis must be tanking peoples pension pots

It is tanking mine, to the tune of about three years the last time I looked which was a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Would like to be a fly in the room, next time (assuming there is one) that Carrie Johnson meets with Jill Biden.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

First of tonights 10 bys is a Lab gain from Indy in Middlesborough

Berwick Hills & Pallister (Middlesbrough) Result:

LAB: 56.8% (+26.5)
    IND: 32.1% (New)
    CON: 8.3% (+2.8)
    LDM: 1.7% (New)
    GRN: 1.1% (New)

No IND (-64.2) as prev.
    LAB GAIN from Independent.

Reversion to the norm.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    dixiedean said:

Say this for the NE of England.
    We get our votes counted on time.

Productivity is said to be a problem in this country, why don't we ask vote counters in the NE the secret?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Gift from the USA. Not exactly "Bundles for Britain". But feel free to recycle!

https://upjoke.com/monica-lewinsky-jokes

Ms Lewinsky is becoming quite the national treasure. Her twitter feed is at times quite witty.

https://twitter.com/MonicaLewinsky/status/1541882875494162438?t=jV-1ds23ANYkSV35jfTxJw&s=19
    Our notions as to what constitutes a "national treasure" clearly differ.

Still, she does have a way of grasping the point of the argument, and milking it for what it's worth.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,304
    IshmaelZ said:

Isner vs Sinner in men's singles tomorrow in near anagram shock

Tennis backwards is Sinnet.
  • Options
    Con hold in Wyre.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,428
    I don't think Brexit has made life better, but then the purpose of Brexit was not, in and of itself, to make life better. Going out of your front door in the morning doesn't necessarily make your life better - you could be flattened by a Number 22 bus. But it is necessary if you have ambitions beyond sitting at home eating pies.
  • Options

Prospect of world recession wipes 13 trillion dollars off markets and no mention of brexit would you believe

Start of what?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited June 2022
    Clevrelys Park in Wyre is a Tory hold, 9% swing to labour

Cleveleys Park (Wyre) Result:

CON: 53.7% (-9.0)
    LAB: 46.3% (+9.0)

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2019.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Best thing to remember is that, over time, equities perform well, despite the blips.

This is a blip. Things are likely to recover.

It is tanking mine, to the tune of about three years the last time I looked which was a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    slade said:

Con hold in Wyre.

Telt youse.
    Free money.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Why can't they just be about what they look as if they are about without the cod sociology overlay?
    We're the Catholic priests, children's homes, Muslim grooming gangs, Hollywood and TV light entertainment sex scandals etc purely about sex, or did they reveal a lot about how power was used and abused in those sub-cultures?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    dixiedean said:

slade said:

Con hold in Wyre.

Telt youse.
    Free money.
    9% swing . Why on Earth should it have been a toss-up?
  • Options
    Ollerton Lab hold
    Ollerton (Newark & Sherwood) council by-election result:

LAB: 64.9% (+0.6)
    CON: 26.7% (-9.0)
    IND: 8.4% (+8.4)

Votes cast: 1,482

Labour HOLD.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

I don't think Brexit has made life better, but then the purpose of Brexit was not, in and of itself, to make life better. Going out of your front door in the morning doesn't necessarily make your life better - you could be flattened by a Number 22 bus. But it is necessary if you have ambitions beyond sitting at home eating pies.

Finally! A simple, compelling description of the benefits of Brexit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

We're the Catholic priests, children's homes, Muslim grooming gangs, Hollywood and TV light entertainment sex scandals etc purely about sex, or did they reveal a lot about how power was used and abused in those sub-cultures?
    It’s an irritating feature of autocorrect that it doesn’t accept a sentence can begin with ‘were’.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Best thing to remember is that, over time, equities perform well, despite the blips.

This is a blip. Things are likely to recover.

It is more of a reversion to mean after an unsustainable rise. The late Seventies stagflation was characterised by quite a long bear market though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Why is the question interesting?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Tories cant be bothered to show up in Liverpool

Fazakerley (Liverpool) council by-election result:

LAB: 57.5% (-25.6)
    IND: 26.9% (+26.9)
    LDEM: 12.2% (+8.2)
    GRN: 3.3% (-1.0)

No Con (-6.6) and Lib (-1.8) as prev.

Votes cast: 2,372

Labour HOLD.
  • Options
    Lab hold in Liverpool.
  • Options
    slade said:

Con hold in Wyre.

As opposed to, Ham on Rye, hold the Mayo
  • Options
    Hit the Beach - Coast of Kaliningrad Oblast

Girls & boys, get out your beach (& other balls) and join Leon (& Gidget?) on sandy shores of the balmy Baltic!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetlogorsk,_Kaliningrad_Oblast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelenogradsk
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,634
    edited June 2022

slade said:

Con hold in Wyre.

As opposed to, Ham on Rye, hold the Mayo
    Maybe we'll get a by-election in Royston Vasey one of these days.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    Sky News
    @SkyNews
    ·
    1h
    Gordon Brown tells
    @BethRigby
    that after the Kremenchuk "shopping centre massacre" there is "no argument" against holding Putin responsible.

He added "there is nothing Putin understands other than strength".

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1542611956502335492
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Bridlington North (East Riding of Yorkshire) council by-election result:

LDEM: 57.1% (+57.1)
    CON: 31.5% (-39.5)
    LAB: 5.0% (-23.9)
    SDP: 3.7% (+3.7)
    YRK: 2.7% (+2.7)

Votes cast: 3,416

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative.

LD hyper surge however result is in line with another by election on the same ward in July 2019 after the May 2019 locals the swing is based on
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    edited June 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

Scott_xP said:

Have a bit more background on Pincher situation from govt source
    1/ Source tells me: “Pincher was drunk & groped people in front of other people at Carlton club. He apologies & is mortified”
    2/ Told of the two men involved - one is an MP & 2nd might be too. Source not sure 1/

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1542614757978554369

He's called Pincher? :lol:
    After losing the MP for Hornytown as well.

Have we stumbled out of reality into a Carry On script?

Though for clarity, I would prefer it to be Don't Carry On, Boris.
    I was disappointed that constituency wasn't Tiverton & Axminster, then we could have had a T&A by-election.
    It's like Titter ye not, a la Frankie Howerd.

Reminds me of when I was a teacher in a private school with boarding houses. The boss of the boarding house was called a matron. I could never keep a straight face when I heard the phrace "ooh, Matron..."
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

It’s interesting that the number of remain voters who think it’s had a positive effect has doubled.

Up 5%, while the percentage of Remain voters thinking it has been negative is up 19% and the number of Leave voters negative is up 12%.

Far fewer in any category are in the undecided, and the momentum is to the negatives, anything else is a wilful distortion.

It’s becoming the consensus. Whether that means there will ever be a consensus for rejoin is another matter.

The worry is that public opinion becomes “Brexit was a mistake, but we made our bed so we’ll just have to suffer”. Admirable stoicism but not really very constructive.
    The English made the bed so the Irish and Scots will just have to suffer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Up 5%, while the percentage of Remain voters thinking it has been negative is up 19% and the number of Leave voters negative is up 12%.

Far fewer in any category are in the undecided, and the momentum is to the negatives, anything else is a wilful distortion.

It’s becoming the consensus. Whether that means there will ever be a consensus for rejoin is another matter.

The worry is that public opinion becomes “Brexit was a mistake, but we made our bed so we’ll just have to suffer”. Admirable stoicism but not really very constructive.
    People living in Wales also voted for Brexit
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2022
    Very off topic

I was going to post this on Reddit r/unpopular opinion but a) I don’t have a Reddit account, and b ) I value the opinions of PBers more than random redditors.

So,

After spending too long on YouTube, I’ve come to the conclusion that most songs by most artists are much better in their stripped-down, acoustic form, rather than the overproduced end-product that appears on most records. It’s like pretty much everything that goes on between the writers original composition on a piano or guitar - and the final product is almost always bad.

Am I alone in thinking this?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited June 2022
    ping said:

Very off topic

I was going to post this on Reddit r/unpopular opinion but a) I don’t have a Reddit account, and b ) I value the opinions of PBers more than random redditors.

So,

After spending too long on YouTube, I’ve come to the conclusion that most songs are much better in their stripped-down, acoustic form, rather than the overproduced end-product that appears on most records. Am I alone in thinking this?

Yes. Next.
    Struggling to think of examples to be honest.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

TimS said:

Foxy said:

We had help from the Welsh, gawd bless 'em.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

The 2 guests at the Carlton club he groped are likely to be posh Tories, though obviously that does not excuse the groping
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The Tories contain more sex pests than the nonce wing at Broadmoor.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

While I am glad to see my opinion of Brexit is shared by such a growing plurality of Britons it is hard to be sure of what is the cart and what is the horse.

Is Brexit so despised because it is Tory policy, or are the Tories so despised because they are the party of Brexit. A bit of both IMO.

No party (other than SF and SNP) will be campaigning to Rejoin at the next GE, so we will have 5 more years for opinion against Brexit to strengthen before Rejoin is an option for English voters. (Have the Greens expressed a European policy yet?)
    PC too are pro-EU? (pedantic but significant in Wales)
    Are they proposing in their manifesto to Rejoin though?
    *checks, on reflection* ... yes, or at least what seems to be the manifesto in their website. Seems reasonably positive, though the referendum proviso is sensible as the balance of opinion is not so clar as in Scotland.

https://www.partyof.wales/cydberthynas_ue_relationship_eu

'Following Brexit the prospects of the UK rejoining the EU in the medium term are remote. Nevertheless, we will make the case for the advantages for Wales and the UK as a whole, of closer regulatory alignment with the EU.

Plaid Cymru’s longer-term aspiration is for an independent Wales to join the European Union, subject to a future referendum after the achievement of independence.'
    LD policy is currently to aim to rejoin the EU ultimately, PC policy now just to rejoin the single market

https://www.libdemvoice.org/lib-dems-back-long-term-aspiration-to-rejoin-eu-65957.html

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/plaid-cymru-calls-uk-rejoin-24344694
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited June 2022

Politics is just so eurgh at the moment.

So I'm delighted you've introduced me the Rest of History podcast. Hours of fun and learning. Thank you. I will disappear there and resurface when a touch of civilised behaviour has returned to our public life.

I may be gone for some time.
  • Options
    Samsung beats TSMC in mass production of world's 1st 3-nanometer chips
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=331952
  • Options
    Pincher's letter starts like this.

"Dear Prime Minister, Last night I drank far too much."

At least he gets to the point quickly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62002088
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    ping said:

Very off topic

So,

After spending too long on YouTube, I’ve come to the conclusion that most songs by most artists are much better in their stripped-down, acoustic form, rather than the overproduced end-product that appears on most records. It’s like pretty much everything that goes on between the writers original composition on a piano or guitar - and the final product is almost always bad.

It's a good thing that Phil Spector is in jail and therefore can't respond to this comment.
  • Options

ping said:

Very off topic

So,

After spending too long on YouTube, I’ve come to the conclusion that most songs are much better in their stripped-down, acoustic form, rather than the overproduced end-product that appears on most records. Am I alone in thinking this?

Yes. Next.
    A Rush of Blood to the Head vs absolutely everything else from Coldplay?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,612

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Sorry, forgot to acknowledge my nation’s racial inferiority.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,108
    Apropos of nothing apart from a dodgy political era with a whiff of deviancy, my partner has just come back from a trip to see Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club and is raving about it, one of the best stage shows she's seen she says. I think someone here intended to go, she would definitely recommend it. Also she really enjoyed a gay flamenco thing if that tickles anyone's pickle..
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Sorry, forgot to acknowledge my nation’s racial inferiority.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you were Welsh.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    stodge said: "I think the current labour shortage is complex and has many causes and reasons."

FWIW, there is a similar shortage in the US: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/u-s-job-openings-remain-high-with-nearly-twice-as-many-openings-as-unemployed-people

"Employers advertised 11.4 million jobs at the end of April, the Labor Department said Wednesday, down from nearly 11.9 million in March, the highest level on records that date back 20 years. At that level, there are nearly two job openings for every unemployed person. That’s a sharp reversal from the historic pattern: Before the pandemic, there were always more unemployed people than available jobs.

The number of people quitting their jobs remained near record highs at 4.4 million in April, mostly unchanged from the previous month. Nearly all of those who quit do so to take another job, typically for higher pay."

I don't think Brexit had much to do with the labor shortages here in the US. And, if I may make an obvious point, there are worse problems than laborshortages for a nation to have.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pincher's letter starts like this.

"Dear Prime Minister, Last night I drank far too much."

At least he gets to the point quickly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62002088

Tried a wee (ahem) bit too hard (ahem) with that (or rather them) last night?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cyclefree said:

So I'm delighted you've introduced me the Rest of History podcast. Hours of fun and learning. Thank you. I will disappear there and resurface when a touch of civilised behaviour has returned to our public life.

You’re welcome!
    Yes, I know exactly how you feel.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

You could also find that it's quite a superficial judgement that will swing the other way if there is any economic news that unequivocally bucks the narrative.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Rip Van Cycle
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Very off topic

So,

It's a good thing that Phil Spector is in jail and therefore can't respond to this comment.
    Phil Spector died last year
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55697979
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Very off topic

So,

Yes. Next.
    Coldplay, with perhaps one or two exceptions, are crud. That whole movement (Keane, Travis etc) in British music was a bloody disaster.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

TimS said:

Foxy said:

You could also find that it's quite a superficial judgement that will swing the other way if there is any economic news that
    unequivocally bucks the narrative.
    There won’t be though.
    Brexit is turning out pretty much as expected.

• Options
    ping said:

Very off topic

So,

Always on my Mind - best cover version is the VERY electronic version by the Pet Shop Boys.
  • Options
    If you apply the vote share changes at the Wakefield by-election to Tamworth you get:

Con 49%
    Lab 32%
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Very off topic

So,

Yes. Next.
    Coldplay, with perhaps one or two exceptions, are crud. That whole movement (Keane, Travis etc) in British music was a bloody disaster.
    Keane had some good songs on their debut album.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,612

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Very off topic

So,

Yes. Next.
    Keane had some good songs on their debut album.
    It’s not exactly epoch defining stuff but it reminds me of a very pleasant driving holiday down to Italy in 2005, so it’ll do.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Very off topic

So,

Phil Spector died last year
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55697979
    If you believe that, you'll believe anything.
  • Options

stodge said: "I think the current labour shortage is complex and has many causes and reasons."

FWIW, there is a similar shortage in the US: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/u-s-job-openings-remain-high-with-nearly-twice-as-many-openings-as-unemployed-people

"Employers advertised 11.4 million jobs at the end of April, the Labor Department said Wednesday, down from nearly 11.9 million in March, the highest level on records that date back 20 years. At that level, there are nearly two job openings for every unemployed person. That’s a sharp reversal from the historic pattern: Before the pandemic, there were always more unemployed people than available jobs.

The number of people quitting their jobs remained near record highs at 4.4 million in April, mostly unchanged from the previous month. Nearly all of those who quit do so to take another job, typically for higher pay."

I don't think Brexit had much to do with the labor shortages here in the US. And, if I may make an obvious point, there are worse problems than laborshortages for a nation to have.

At the end of Q1, vacancies-to-job seeker ratios were at records in:

UK
    Singapore
    USA
    Spain
    Austria
    Canada

But not in Germany or France.

Basically labour shortages were a feature of the developed world in the immediate post Covid period.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/lokiscottishrap/status/1542649539525500929?s=21&t=QafO1vmddAzHizAh32K1_Q

@GlasgowPam outlined what I feel is the most powerful argument in the unionist arsenal. One which when earnestly made always lands: that indy is effectively abandoning working class people across the UK. I don't agree, but Yessers have never really dealt with that moral argument
  • Options
    Lib Dem gains in East Yorkshire (expected) and Buckinghamshire (not expected).
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

https://twitter.com/lokiscottishrap/status/1542649539525500929?s=21&t=QafO1vmddAzHizAh32K1_Q

@GlasgowPam outlined what I feel is the most powerful argument in the unionist arsenal. One which when earnestly made always lands: that indy is effectively abandoning working class people across the UK. I don't agree, but Yessers have never really dealt with that moral argument

I thought that scottish votes had not changed any UK election outcome in recent memory? Though they may do so, of course.

A related idea is that Scotland and/or the present SNP government is inherently more progressive than England. Not everyone agrees:

https://www.thesocialreview.co.uk/2020/03/02/the-myth-of-scotlands-progressive-government/
  • Options
    from Njegos by Djilas

The chieftains had reason to be astonished when they heard that Rade [Njegos] would succeed [his uncle] Bishop Petar [as Prince-Bishop of Montenegro].

. . . [T]here was held an assembly on Velje Guvno and the testament was read. There was an oppressive silence among the chieftains as the Archimandrite of Ostrog, Josef Pavecevic, asked the assemblage if they accepted the testament. It was a silence that held a threat and a promise of mob action. It was then, according to a reliable account, that Filip Nikolin Djuraskovic, of Ceklin, Serdar of the Nahi of Rijeka, sprang forward and demanded to know if they accepted the testament, challenging anyone who rejected it to a duel. The chieftains shouted their assent, and Filip took out his long pistol and fired it in sign of rejoicing and confirmation. With the firing of the guns the tension relaxed.

Serdar Filip was no ordinary chieftain. . . . Filip was serdar in his own right - a renowned hero and a collaborator of Bishop Petar, famed for his bezerk attacks on the Turks, for his sagacity, resoluteness, and forcefulness. He stood by Bishop Rade from the first, and there he was to remain, becoming his senator and helping him in everything, especially in putting down opposition and rebellions throughout Montenegro. He was beside him even unto his dying hour. Filip had songs sung about him even in his lifetime, while Njegos . . . extoll[ed] him as the greatest hero of Montenegro - in a time and place where every reproach and praise was measured out by the gram. . . [A] slightly hunched warrior who never hesitated to strike a blow; a man made for hacking and hewing. That he was really like that is known from the tales recorded about him. He once cut down two Turks and captured a third, stuck the heads of the two on stakes, and bound the captive to a post in front of his house, a house more like a fortress ruled by a completely independent master, one whose strength and daring had no match in the counrty.

SSI - Sir Walter Scott couldn't say it better. AND just imagine if SWS was a Reform Commie instead of an Orthodox Tory . . .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

UK
    Singapore
    USA
    Spain
    Austria
    Canada

Basically labour shortages were a feature of the developed world in the immediate post Covid period.
    Is greater acceptance & entry of refugees including UKR & of other immigrants in Germany & France a factor?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

rcs1000 said:

UK
    Singapore
    USA
    Spain
    Austria
    Canada

Is greater acceptance & entry of refugees including UKR & of other immigrants in Germany & France a factor?
    Perhaps less flexible labour markets are an advantage in this case? Or maybe their furlough schemes were better?

France has taken about the same number of Ukranians as us. Germany many times more. So the two cases are different.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    OT for history buffs & @ydoethur

Orwell Festival of Political Writing 2022: 'Bismarck and Political Power'

We were delighted to be joined by Dominic Cummings, Richard Evans, Gideon Rachman, and Katja Hoyer on 23 June 2022 to unpack Bismarck’s understanding of political power, how Bismarck has been understood historically, and whether Bismarck’s approach to politics is still relevant. The discussion was chaired by Ken Macdonald QC, Chair of Trustees of The Orwell Foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oos_mGp7qr8

"[Bismark] was just as reactionary as [Jacob] Rees-Mogg but he had a brain." — Richard Evans
  • Options

That begs the question, what was the purpose of Brexit? The referendum paper asked only if we should remain in or leave the EU. While there were some who voted on the basis of sovereignty or on ending FOM, many others will have voted to make their lives better, for instance by levelling up or raising NHS funding or increasing GDP by hundreds of billions of pounds.
  • Options
    Longer advert breaks could hit TV viewers
    Fears channels could be swamped with commercials like in the US as Ofcom reviews whether it needs to change its advertising guidelines

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/30/longer-advert-breaks-could-hit-tv-viewers/ (£££)
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The Mail on ww1 plastic surgery (Harold Gillies and an eccentric Franco-American dentist)
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10971443/Facemaker-saved-broken-gargoyles-World-War-grandfather-plastic-surgery.html
  • Options
    Is Jacob Rees-Mogg killing off 'nanny state' betting review? Last-minute intervention could delay gambling laws overhaul

Last-minute intervention by Jacob Rees-Mogg into review of gambling laws
    The Bill could now be held back or even neutered after complaints by Rees-Mogg
    Sources said: 'unwarranted intervention in people's lives and should be ditched'
    Iain Duncan Smith said it was 'nonsense' to describe the curbs as a nanny state

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10971519/Is-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-killing-nanny-state-betting-review.html
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

ping said:

Very off topic

So,

Always on my Mind - best cover version is the VERY electronic version by the Pet Shop Boys.
    Kate Bush's Rocketman is IMO better than Elton John's, and a more complex song.

But the above might be exceptions that prove the rule...
  • Options
    What’s going on here …
    https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1542622215287574528

Did someone brief Erdogan on the latest Tory scandal ?
  • Options
    An interesting statistic:

"he week from 13th June to 20 June was the first week where GB national rail ridership was over 90% of pre-pandemic levels every single day."

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1542093921307738112
  • Options

"he week from 13th June to 20 June was the first week where GB national rail ridership was over 90% of pre-pandemic levels every single day."

Royal Ascot week, although that might not be the full explanation, or even a partial one.
  • Options

Royal Ascot week, although that might not be the full explanation, or even a partial one.
    I doubt it would have *that* much effect. It was also pre-Glastonbury. The figures are compared to the same week in 2019. (1) Royal Ascot was apparently 20th to 22nd June, so one day's figures *may* b in this years.

It is also reflected by a trend of a steady increase in rail travel over this year (2).

(1): https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/transport-use-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/covid-19-transport-data-methodology-note#rail-passenger-journeys
    (2): https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1542097732596383746/photo/1
  • Options
    Allegedly, Russia's car production fell by 97% in May.

"Russia manufactured 3,700 cars in May, 97% fewer than the same month last year, the country’s statistics agency Rosstat said late Wednesday." (1)

And Gazprom's share price fell by 25-30% yesterday, after it said it would not be giving out any dividends for the first time since 1998.

(1): https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/06/30/russias-car-manufacturing-collapses-by-97-in-may-a78151

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Teachers' pay rises

Mr Zahawi, the Education Secretary, wants to give the 130,000 teachers in England in the first five years of their careers a rise of up to nine per cent from September as part of moves to take starting salaries to £30,000.

He is also proposing a pay increase of five per cent for the remaining 380,000 teachers across the country instead of the three per cent originally planned by the Government.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/30/nadhim-zahawi-give-teachers-pay-rises-9pc-avoid-going-strike/ (£££)

ETA that is what EdSec has asked for; whether Number 10 and Treasury cough up has yet to be seen.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

slade said:

Con hold in Wyre.

Telt youse.
    Free money.
    Thanks
  • Options

TimS said:

Foxy said:

You could also find that it's quite a superficial judgement that will swing the other way if there is any economic news that unequivocally bucks the narrative.
    It's objectively fucking terrible for UK business, certainly for anyone that deals in exports within the EU.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Completely off-topic, but I’m going to Wimbledon today and had to download their app for the ticket. Unfortunately this meant downloading the latest iOS. I’ve resisted doing this as I found each update made my old phone worse.

So far no performance issues on my current phone. But my God, what have they done to Safari? I can get the address bar back to the top, but it doesn’t seem possible to go back to stacked tabs. What idiot decided this was a good idea?
  • Options
    The one certainty in a Tamworth by-election is that Labour won't win.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The one certainty in a Tamworth by-election is that Labour won't win.

Punters will be snapping up any odds-against the Conservatives, if there is a by-election.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited July 2022
    Buckinghamshire
    Bernwood
    LD 1158 38.7% +21.4%
    Green 1030 34.4& -3.9%
    Con 723 24.1% -9.8%
    Lab 85 2.8% -7.7%
    LD gain from Con

It would appear, a split result between the Tories and Greens last time, and the LibDems have somehow come through the middle?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,108

So please vote for Sir Keir just in case not enough of those working class people across the UK who backed Brexit and BJ don't vote for him. Oh, and don't worry about abandoning those working class people in the EU, they're forrins.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    Presumably, former chief whip Gavin Williamson got his ridiculous knighthood for keeping schtum about the extra-marital blow job that is now public knowledge anyway. What an utterly appalling shambles our country has become.
    https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1542551105019813894
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Revealed - secret Tory plans to disrupt council meetings.

It is suggested this is based on something the Tories may have sent out from HQ. Leaked to the local paper in Wokingham.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

OT for history buffs & @ydoethur

Orwell Festival of Political Writing 2022: 'Bismarck and Political Power'

We were delighted to be joined by Dominic Cummings, Richard Evans, Gideon Rachman, and Katja Hoyer on 23 June 2022 to unpack Bismarck’s understanding of political power, how Bismarck has been understood historically, and whether Bismarck’s approach to politics is still relevant. The discussion was chaired by Ken Macdonald QC, Chair of Trustees of The Orwell Foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oos_mGp7qr8

"[Bismark] was just as reactionary as [Jacob] Rees-Mogg but he had a brain." — Richard Evans

Unlike say, one of the other members of the panel…
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    edited July 2022

Teachers' pay rises

Mr Zahawi, the Education Secretary, wants to give the 130,000 teachers in England in the first five years of their careers a rise of up to nine per cent from September as part of moves to take starting salaries to £30,000.

He is also proposing a pay increase of five per cent for the remaining 380,000 teachers across the country instead of the three per cent originally planned by the Government.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/30/nadhim-zahawi-give-teachers-pay-rises-9pc-avoid-going-strike/ (£££)

ETA that is what EdSec has asked for; whether Number 10 and Treasury cough up has yet to be seen.

The government have already said they will fund pay rises for rookie teachers only. Any other pay rises will have to come out of existing budgets.

This is incredibly problematic as most schools are already in deficit.

One way it might be done is to abolish academy chains, which are expensive and cumbersome, while doing no actual good. But that won’t happen as that’s a particular pet of the DfE and the current government.

Which leaves redundancies as the other option.

So this could actually make staffing shortages much, much worse, not better.
This discussion has been closed.