Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LDs rarely lose when they go into a by-election “full gas” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

One more bit of boring on, in case anyone is interested in a look..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nh-WkzzsZw91eNs5WWxBV13UB3K5W3Uk8UpHm5TXLrI/edit?usp=sharing

The excel version doesn't have any #REF? errors in it. I've not spent much time on google sheets so not sure where they've come from. Is it IFERROR not working the same?

If sharing this with American colleagues, you may wish to avoid the column title “Ass Pay” :-)
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

This sounds like an interesting article by Andrew Doyle.

"The experts are lying to you
    Their laundering of the truth is deliberate and tactical
    Andrew Doyle"

https://unherd.com/2022/06/the-experts-are-lying-to-you/

The second paragraph doesn't inspire much confidence:

There was, for instance, Omar Jimenez’s coverage of protests in Kenosha for CNN, described as “mostly peaceful” in the chyron running under the report in spite of the clearly visible backdrop of burning cars and buildings. Similarly, the BBC was roundly mocked for its description of “largely peaceful” protests in London, in which 27 police officers were injured.

Without evidence of the size of the protests, and therefore the relative frequency of the non-peaceful incidents, it is hard to judge whether they were or were not "mostly" or "largely" peaceful.

Disagree. Dunno what it's like in LA but 27 cops injured in one go in London doesn't feel largely peaceful to me
    It depends doesn't it: if there's a million people in a demonstration, and 999,950 peacefully march through the streets, while 50 have a barney with the police and 27 are injured, I'd say it had been largely peaceful.

What percentage of people committing violence do you think are needed, before you can say it wasn't largely peaceful?
    I suppose as far as Pete is concerned (or not), hitting Starmer all over the park actually means bellowing at the opposition whilst on his feet, lying his head off at least 3 times a session, never answering any of Starmer's questions just making rude comments and gurning, and getting the rabble behind him to bellow in support like a herd of animals. Very unseemly.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

This sounds like an interesting article by Andrew Doyle.

"The experts are lying to you
    Their laundering of the truth is deliberate and tactical
    Andrew Doyle"

https://unherd.com/2022/06/the-experts-are-lying-to-you/

The second paragraph doesn't inspire much confidence:

There was, for instance, Omar Jimenez’s coverage of protests in Kenosha for CNN, described as “mostly peaceful” in the chyron running under the report in spite of the clearly visible backdrop of burning cars and buildings. Similarly, the BBC was roundly mocked for its description of “largely peaceful” protests in London, in which 27 police officers were injured.

Without evidence of the size of the protests, and therefore the relative frequency of the non-peaceful incidents, it is hard to judge whether they were or were not "mostly" or "largely" peaceful.

Disagree. Dunno what it's like in LA but 27 cops injured in one go in London doesn't feel largely peaceful to me
    It depends doesn't it: if there's a million people in a demonstration, and 999,950 peacefully march through the streets, while 50 have a barney with the police and 27 are injured, I'd say it had been largely peaceful.

What percentage of people committing violence do you think are needed, before you can say it wasn't largely peaceful?
    Well, injured cops is only a proxy for overall violence. Let's say they dish out 10 injuries for one received, that's300 odd injuries overall. Let's say for every incident of injury there's another 10 where no significant injury occurs but the incident is still not peaceful (shouty confrontations etc), you are in to the 3,000s. If you are talking 100,000 overall, I wouldn't call 3% negligible
    Even the sack of Rome was 'largely peaceful' in strict percentage terms of how many Visigoths or whatever they were spent the greater percentage of their time just walking and shouting and other peaceful activities.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited June 2022
    Mori have a strike poll out 35/35 rising to 41/34 in favour when more explanation put in to the question.
    Public sympathy with Passengers mostly and then workers with union, network rail and govt trailing
    Right to strike and workers needing better/strong representation generally popular

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1539620486124036096?t=cc0I2KahkUv7G9EG1fpdMA&s=19
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,218

Talking of experts and the media lying to us, I seem to be the only person who has noticed the falsehood of the widely-disseminated comments about how unfair it is that 'pensioners' will be getting a 10% or so increase in income, when people of working age will get much less. (Tellingly, those making such comments never seem to mention benefits claimants, who will be getting the same increase).

Of course it's only the very poorest pensioners - those entirely or very nearly entirely dependent on the state pension with no other income - who will get that inflation-linked increase in their income. The state pension is around £10K a year, with some getting quite a bit less, and a few getting a little more from residual SERPS benefits etc. So anyone dependent on it for the bulk of their income is not exactly living the life of Riley.

The other elements of the income of pensioners who are better off than this will, for the most part, increase by far less than inflation, if at all (unless they are retired railway workers, of course). So the statement that "pensioners' income will increase by 10%" is, to use the technical term, codswallop. It seems to be too much to expect the media, and politicians, to be accurate about things like this.

He came, he saw, he made a pretty good point.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2022

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nh-WkzzsZw91eNs5WWxBV13UB3K5W3Uk8UpHm5TXLrI/edit?usp=sharing

The excel version doesn't have any #REF? errors in it. I've not spent much time on google sheets so not sure where they've come from. Is it IFERROR not working the same?

Ok, I'll bite, as no one else seems to.

From a quick look I'd just suggest maybe consider improving the look and feel a bit: protect or hide the cells you don't want people to mess with, shade it to make it clear which cells are for data entry and which are to display results. Hide the 'admin' or reference data tabs too for tidiness. A spreadsheet title in row 1 would be nice too.

I think the indexing and use of IFERROR all looks rather complicated but it's difficult to tell if there's a simpler way as I am obviously not conversant with what the spreadsheet is aiming to do (though I can guess of course).

The #REF? error in Googlesheets is due to differences between Google and Excel I think, because if I download a copy as .xlsx and open with Excel they go away again.

You might want to edit the addresses in the 'Worker Info' tab in the version posted on Google if those are real addresses.

Apols if that seems a bit negative and misses the point. If someone said 'I can get Excel to do stuff and here's an example', I'd say 'yeah, looks like it'. If someone was saying 'I've got this super Excel app that really makes it worth employing me'... er... no, not on it's own.

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Although one of my pet peeves is people trying to do with a big spreadsheet, what would be much better done with a small database.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Old news, I think, but I was struck by this description by Tanya Gold of the Tory candidate in Tiverton and Honiton.

https://unherd.com/2022/06/the-tories-deserve-to-lose-tiverton/?cx_testId=4&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=3&cx_experienceId=EXHVQEIQA4S9#cxrecs_s

I think of May Welland from The Age of Innocence: Hurford has that hard, unyielding brightness. It shines. It lets nothing in. She is a typically Johnsonian Tory; evasive, anti-intellectual and self-obsessed; quick to anger when threatened, slow to change her mind, if she ever does. Every time she speaks, I feel materially closer to autocracy.

From the little I’ve seen, while Foord (LD) is not really up to much, Hurford (Con) is a grating idiot.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,257
    Sandpit said:

From a quick look I'd just suggest maybe consider improving the look and feel a bit: protect or hide the cells you don't want people to mess with, shade it to make it clear which cells are for data entry and which are to display results. Hide the 'admin' or reference data tabs too for tidiness. A spreadsheet title in row 1 would be nice too.

I think the indexing and use of IFERROR all looks rather complicated but it's difficult to tell if there's a simpler way as I am obviously not conversant with what the spreadsheet is aiming to do (though I can guess of course).

The #REF? error in Googlesheets is due to differences between Google and Excel I think, because if I download a copy as .xlsx and open with Excel they go away again.

You might want to edit the addresses in the 'Worker Info' tab in the version posted on Google if those are real addresses.

Apols if that seems a bit negative and misses the point. If someone said 'I can get Excel to do stuff and here's an example', I'd say 'yeah, looks like it'. If someone was saying 'I've got this super Excel app that really makes it worth employing me'... er... no, not on it's own.

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Although one of my pet peeves is people trying to do with a big spreadsheet, what would be much better done with a small database.
    I came across a big spreadsheet that had been converted from a small database once. I'm sure you would have loved the person responsible for that decision.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Those comments by our Brexiters that the US was cool, like, relaxed, with the breach of treaty in NI by the UK?

Turns out they were mince.

'The US government has warned that Boris Johnson’s move to unilaterally axe some of the Northern Ireland Brexit arrangements protocol was a matter of continuing concern and “not conducive” to a trade deal.

"Senior officials have hit back at suggestions that the lack of public commentary by the Biden administration meant it was not troubled by the move to bring in new laws to ditch part of the Brexit deal signed in 2020. [...]

They also put paid to inferences that the criticism by a recent bipartisan congressional delegation was limited to the Irish caucus on Capitol Hill and heavily influenced by Sinn Féin.

The Biden administration has also clarified remarks by the White House spokesperson last week that there would be no link between the UK’s unilateral action and trade talks between Washington and London. “It is true that there is no formal linkage between the protocol and a free trade agreement, but the current situation does not create a conducive environment,” the insider said.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/22/brexit-unilateral-action-northern-ireland-protocol-us-uk-trade-deal

Good news, for those of us who didn't want a US trade deal.
    That's certainly one way to look at it. Won't please HMG though!
    Sadly, it won't have any impact on the prospect of a trade deal - they will want their secret tribunals and chlorinated chicken exports, and they won't give a monkeys about Northern Ireland when it comes to the crunch. They're just trying to use it as leverage to get us to do as we're told. That's what we get for being their unquestioning cheerleaders for three quarters of a century.
  • Options

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

It's striking the amount of opprobrium that The Mail is pouring over Sir Keir personally at the moment. I don't recall them being this brutal with Miliband, Brown or even Blair or Corbyn. Odd. Sir Keir seems a ludicrously unlikely bogeyman.

Shows both the threat they think SKS and the scale of the problems they think Bozo has.
    Johnson absolutely tonked Starmer today at PMQs.

P.S. I wonder if Starmer has had the heads up from Durham that an FPN is on the way.
    You keep saying this, Pete, after every PMQs, whether he did or not. I suspect you are a cchq troll.
    Pete does a special line in irono-masochism. It's good once you get into it.

But anyway, Keir out, Mick in! I don't whether it'll work but he's doing some terrific tory trashing telly.
    Mick Lynch is my new hero - brilliant, even if you don't agree with him. Anybody interested in seeing his highlights could scroll down the RMT Twitter feed (which is also very good):

https://twitter.com/RMTunion

If only the Labour Party were so slick and incisive.
    To be fair to SKS, slick Mick doesn’t need to appeal to a vast swathe of the electorate so can take and defend very firm narrow positions. SKS has to appeal to the left but also not scare the horses with those in the soft centre right he needs to become PM so not really a fair comparison.
    Point taken, though I didn't mention SKS - I was comparing the RMT's campaigning with Labour's, though the issue you mention still applies.

You rightly say that SKS has to appeal to the left (among other things). Yes he does, and he's not doing that at the moment. He's risking losing more votes than he gains by not appealing to the left - and by the left I mean moderate people like me, not Corbynites, who want the balance tilted more towards working people and away from lining the pockets of the wealthy. He can do that without scaring the horses, I think.
    Yes, caution is fine, and he does have to be careful, but I don't want to see it trending to timid.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,000

Old news, I think, but I was struck by this description by Tanya Gold of the Tory candidate in Tiverton and Honiton.

https://unherd.com/2022/06/the-tories-deserve-to-lose-tiverton/?cx_testId=4&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=3&cx_experienceId=EXHVQEIQA4S9#cxrecs_s

I think of May Welland from The Age of Innocence: Hurford has that hard, unyielding brightness. It shines. It lets nothing in. She is a typically Johnsonian Tory; evasive, anti-intellectual and self-obsessed; quick to anger when threatened, slow to change her mind, if she ever does. Every time she speaks, I feel materially closer to autocracy.

From the little I’ve seen, while Foord (LD) is not really up to much, Hurford (Con) is a grating idiot.

I see you've found a Tory stooge to sanctimoniously virtue signal against. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Had a relative today declaring they couldn't vote Labour due to their comments in response to a Rishi story, about protecting pensioners.

A shame pandering works.
  • Options

I miss Tanya Gold's restaurant reviews - the best thing in The Spectator.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Just been catching up with the Mick Lynch clips. Absolutely brilliant.

The media (Kay Burley, Piers Morgan, Richard Madeley) is so caught up in peddling hysteria and guff, they don’t know what to do when someone turns up and refuses to play along!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

It really is quite hard to understand why such numpties are picked as candidates in prominent byelections. It may be that the people picking them are numpties themselves, or it may be that only numpties apply.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

It's striking the amount of opprobrium that The Mail is pouring over Sir Keir personally at the moment. I don't recall them being this brutal with Miliband, Brown or even Blair or Corbyn. Odd. Sir Keir seems a ludicrously unlikely bogeyman.

Shows both the threat they think SKS and the scale of the problems they think Bozo has.

P.S. I wonder if Starmer has had the heads up from Durham that an FPN is on the way.
    You keep saying this, Pete, after every PMQs, whether he did or not. I suspect you are a cchq troll.

But anyway, Keir out, Mick in! I don't whether it'll work but he's doing some terrific tory trashing telly.
    Mick Lynch is my new hero - brilliant, even if you don't agree with him. Anybody interested in seeing his highlights could scroll down the RMT Twitter feed (which is also very good):

To be fair to SKS, slick Mick doesn’t need to appeal to a vast swathe of the electorate so can take and defend very firm narrow positions. SKS has to appeal to the left but also not scare the horses with those in the soft centre right he needs to become PM so not really a fair comparison.
    Point taken, though I didn't mention SKS - I was comparing the RMT's campaigning with Labour's, though the issue you mention still applies.

You rightly say that SKS has to appeal to the left (among other things). Yes he does, and he's not doing that at the moment. He's risking losing more votes than he gains by not appealing to the left - and by the left I mean moderate people like me, not Corbynites, who want the balance tilted more towards working people and away from lining the pockets of the wealthy. He can do that without scaring the horses, I think.
    Yes, caution is fine, and he does have to be careful, but I don't want to see it trending to timid.
    Keir is a waste of time.
    He’s done the unglamorous job of detoxifying the Labour Party, but now he needs to sod off in favour of someone who has an actual point of view.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Keir is a waste of time.
    He’s done the unglamorous job of detoxifying the Labour Party, but now he needs to sod off in favour of someone who has an actual point of view.
    +1
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

I came across a big spreadsheet that had been converted from a small database once. I'm sure you would have loved the person responsible for that decision.
    Converted a database to a spread sheet, you say?

{picks up the baseball bat with nails in it}

Tell us more....
    kinabalu said:

Talking of experts and the media lying to us, I seem to be the only person who has noticed the falsehood of the widely-disseminated comments about how unfair it is that 'pensioners' will be getting a 10% or so increase in income, when people of working age will get much less. (Tellingly, those making such comments never seem to mention benefits claimants, who will be getting the same increase).

Of course it's only the very poorest pensioners - those entirely or very nearly entirely dependent on the state pension with no other income - who will get that inflation-linked increase in their income. The state pension is around £10K a year, with some getting quite a bit less, and a few getting a little more from residual SERPS benefits etc. So anyone dependent on it for the bulk of their income is not exactly living the life of Riley.

The other elements of the income of pensioners who are better off than this will, for the most part, increase by far less than inflation, if at all (unless they are retired railway workers, of course). So the statement that "pensioners' income will increase by 10%" is, to use the technical term, codswallop. It seems to be too much to expect the media, and politicians, to be accurate about things like this.

So you are unaware that *all* pensioners are bloated, plutocrat, neo-fascists, who after getting the working poor to load their Bentley-Of-The-Day with the large bags of platinum* that makes up their state pension, drive home, running over as many immigrants as possible.

Home being mansions so vast that selling one could solve the housing crisis. By itself.

*Gold would be too bulky.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    Andy_JS said:

There's often a lot of fake news, mainly from right-wing sources, about how dangerous London is. Utter nonsense. It's probably the second-safest big city in the world after Tokyo.

Sadly, a surprisingly large number of Americans (including those of a liberal hue) seem to think London is like Mexico City.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Aarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Bonus points if they managed to store it on the root of C: or on a machine with a local user profile, just to make sure it didn’t ever get backed up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

At Goldman Sachs there was a Japanese warrants pricing model that had been built in Excel, and which involved quite a few hardcoded cells to avoid circular references, that contractors had been required to write an API that plugged into so that it could be queried with SQL.

Whenever the composition of the stock indexes changed, the VLOOKUP would fail spectacularly.

Amazingly (and for reasons I will explain off-line), the Japanese Warrants desk was the most profitable desk at Goldman in London for much of the mid 1990s.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Aarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Bonus points if they managed to store it on the root of C: or on a machine with a local user profile, just to make sure it didn’t ever get backed up.
    The sensible thing to do with a small database if you want to know what's there is to make it in to a spreadsheet. I find it rather odd that IT people retreat from the most powerful IT tool that's ever been invented.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

There's often a lot of fake news, mainly from right-wing sources, about how dangerous London is. Utter nonsense. It's probably the second-safest big city in the world after Tokyo.

Sadly, a surprisingly large number of Americans (including those of a liberal hue) seem to think London is like Mexico City.
    I’ve never quite managed to work that one out.

Was there one outlier year, where there were more murders in London than NYC, which got a shedload of coverage over there and led to the distorted view?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I love Mexico City. Nothing like london but it would be no insult to be compared with it.
  • Options
    Tesco Mobile brings back roaming fees.

Thanks Brexit
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Tell us more....
    kinabalu said:

So you are unaware that *all* pensioners are bloated, plutocrat, neo-fascists, who after getting the working poor to load their Bentley-Of-The-Day with the large bags of platinum* that makes up their state pension, drive home, running over as many immigrants as possible.

Home being mansions so vast that selling one could solve the housing crisis. By itself.

I've never heard such nonsense.

Platinum is only about 10% more dense than gold, gold is worth almost twice is much as platinum at current market prices, and gold bullion is exempt from VAT. Other than those with an expertise in precious metal speculation, no sensible octogenarian billionaire would nominate platinum as their preferred store of wealth.
  • Options
    Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I love Mexico City. Nothing like london but it would be no insult to be compared with it.
    Maybe I should have said Tijuana.

Tijuana's murder rate is 138 per 100,000 people. That's 0.13% of people are murdered each year.

Over the course of a decade, one in 70 people are murdered.

London doesn't get anywhere close.
  • Options
    Public are divided on rail strikes with 41% support the decision to go on strike with 42% opposed. Conservative voters: Support 18% Oppose 71% Labour voters: Support 59% Oppose 26%

Keir Starmer represents the centre ground
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Foxy said:

It really is quite hard to understand why such numpties are picked as candidates in prominent byelections. It may be that the people picking them are numpties themselves, or it may be that only numpties apply.
    That's more than a little unfair, my friend.

As you say, the "talent pool" may be relatively modest but parties have long since discovered a "local" candidate (whatever their limitations) will always do better than a parachuted in outsider with more obvious political nous.

That leaves you normally with local councillors (if you have any) or a well known local person who will at least be recognised across much of the constituency.

The next problem is who is going to want the job? The Conservative candidate will have a job for life is he/she wins but likely obscurity if they fail (though they can come back and regain the seat at the next GE if persistent). The LD candidate may win the seat but every LD MP knows they have to scrap for every vote as there's no such thing as a safe seat and holding seats like North Shropshire and T&H is going to be very difficult even if the Conservatives are smashed nationally (Christchurch was won with an enormous swing in 1995 but the Conservatives regained it in 1997).

That means a short-lived political career and more likely a longer career as an ex-MP.

So, yes, you may well say only "numpties" apply but it's not a situation which would encourage many to put themselves through the grinder for weeks.
  • Options

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

I opened up the sheets that would have been hidden for assessment purposes. The cells for editing on the Month page are in pink on excel. I'm glad the errors don't show up on excel. The addresses are places where I might once have lived. I hope they're safe here..
  • Options

Public are divided on rail strikes with 41% support the decision to go on strike with 42% opposed. Conservative voters: Support 18% Oppose 71% Labour voters: Support 59% Oppose 26%

Perhaps he does, perhaps he doesn't.

Knight of the cabbage patch?

He does though need to get off the horse and exticate himself from the cabbages. A little something or other would go a long way.

I am of course a Tory, and as such my main concern is turfing Boris out.
  • Options

As has been suggested elsewhere and certainly was my evidence yesterday, those who were able to plan effectively for the strike did so. Those who were most surprised at East Ham were those for whom I suspected English wasn't their first or even second language - I saw one man who genuinely didn't seem to know or understand there were very few tubes and thought he could go to London as he always did.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,257
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Aarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

It was stored on a cloud file-sharing site, but instead of editing it in situ, people would typically download it, edit, and then upload. With obvious consequences.
  • Options

He is neither for shit wage deals nor against shit wage deals but somewhere in between.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes but then many Americans think that of their own cities, and never go to part of them that are objectively quite safe.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Aarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

It was stored on a cloud file-sharing site, but instead of editing it in situ, people would typically download it, edit, and then upload. With obvious consequences.
    At, so several people would download it at 9am, and upload it at 5pm, same file name, no version control, no backups…

Been there, seen that. Lots.

Use databases, people.
  • Options

Thanks Brexit

Irrelevant. At this rate most of us will soon be unable to afford foreign travel regardless.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,750

Thanks Brexit

I remember 2014. "If you Scots vote yes you'll need to pay roaming fees in England!"

• Options
    As if the £160 tickets didn’t put you off, Lord’s to start confiscating booze from spectators outside the members’ area at the T20 matches.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/06/22/mcc-bans-non-members-bringing-alcohol-lords-t20-matches/
  • Options
    Evening all :)

Reading the economic runes this evening, I'm beginning to suspect I'm going to see my third slump in fifteen years play out next year.

Indications of falling commodity prices suggest the beginnings of the inflation-induced fall off in demand - if you can make widgets for £3 per ton and sell them at £10 per ton you're doing well but with everything else going up,
    your costs have gone up so it now costs £5 to make a ton of widgets so while you're doing okay at £10 a ton you'd like to sell them at £12 per ton but the customers are also seeing their costs rise and they have to make the decision of either paying the £12 or cutting back on widgets.

As the orders dry up, you have a choice - cut the price to £7 per ton an hope you have enough customers to keep going but if the customers aren't going to pay £7 what do you do, cut to £5 or less so you're making widgets at a loss or shut down production?

Eventually, of course, the inflation will be suppressed and not only will it become profitable to make widgets again but also the customers will be back wanting to buy.

Unfortunately, there's a deal of pain to get through and at 190.9p per litre at my local Tesco's (not many takers at that price), Asda customers setting themselves cost limits and commodity prices falling, I wonder if we are going to see a collapse in demand through the rest of the year (not as sharp as March 2020 of course, more like 2008).

The problem with declining economic activity for the Government is while the expenditure side remains high, the income (in terms of tax receipts in particular) falls off a cliff and both debt and deficit start to rise.

You can forget tax cuts in that scenario.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,743
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I’ve never quite managed to work that one out.

Was there one outlier year, where there were more murders in London than NYC, which got a shedload of coverage over there and led to the distorted view?
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-is-london-really-deadlier-than-new-york
  • Options

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

I opened up the sheets that would have been hidden for assessment purposes. The cells for editing on the Month page are in pink on excel. I'm glad the errors don't show up on excel. The addresses are [REDACTED]..
    Seriously, don’t to that with addresses. This isn’t a private forum, it’s on the open internet.

Use 13, Station Rd, Anytown; or 10, Downing St, London SW1a.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,988
    If people don’t realise that London is the greatest city the world has ever known, their loss. Plenty do, and we welcome them here!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sandpit said:

As if the £160 tickets didn’t put you off, Lord’s to start confiscating booze from spectators outside the members’ area at the T20 matches.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/06/22/mcc-bans-non-members-bringing-alcohol-lords-t20-matches/

The announcement, which follows a similar booze clampdown at Hundred fixtures last year, coincides with the club launching alcohol-free beer on draught across the site for the first time.

Does this mean they aren't selling alcohol? If so, then fair enough. But if they are still selling booze, then it's simply a cynical ploy to make money.

When I went to the Test, the stewards did a thorough search of my bag. Can't be too careful, I thought to myself. And then the steward asked "is that water in those bottles?"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

I opened up the sheets that would have been hidden for assessment purposes. The cells for editing on the Month page are in pink on excel. I'm glad the errors don't show up on excel. The addresses are [REDACTED]..
    Seriously, don’t to that with addresses. This isn’t a private forum, it’s on the open internet.

Fun fact, the actual address is:

The Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury
    10 Downing Street
    Etc.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.
    I always remembered that the postcode for the Houses of Parliament is SW1A 1AA.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Yes, caution is fine, and he does have to be

careful, but I don't want to see it trending to timid.

Keir is a waste of time.
    I respect your view.

Who would you go for?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    stodge said:

Unfortunately, there's a deal of pain to get through and at 190.9p per litre at my local Tesco's (not many takers at that price), Asda customers setting themselves cost limits and commodity prices falling, I wonder if we are going to see a collapse in demand through the rest of the year (not as sharp as March 2020 of course, more like 2008).

It's curious how much of a lag there can be on this. I was hoping to do an insulation upgrade/retrofit project on my house but have been unable to find any firms who are sufficiently non-busy to do the work at all. So I've had to put it on hold til next year -- if demand really does collapse maybe I'll have better luck then. (And I thought construction tended to feel recessions early -- maybe I'm wrong there?)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

The announcement, which follows a similar booze clampdown at Hundred fixtures last year, coincides with the club launching alcohol-free beer on draught across the site for the first time.

Does this mean they aren't selling alcohol? If so, then fair enough. But if they are still selling booze, then it's simply a cynical ploy to make money.

When I went to the Test, the stewards did a thorough search of my bag. Can't be too careful, I thought to myself. And then the steward asked "is that water in those bottles?"
    They’re still selling booze, it’s a cynical money grab disguised as some guff about community relations.

Yes, the result for many, will be water bottles filled with vodka.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Yes, caution is fine, and he does have to be

careful, but I don't want to see it trending to timid.
    Keir is a waste of time.
    I respect your view.

Who would you go for?
    Nandy / Streeting or Streeting / Nandy.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.
    I've always loved the address for the Treasury.

HM Treasury
    1 Horse Guards Road
    London
    SW1A 2HQ
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.

HM Treasury
    1 Horse Guards Road
    London
    SW1A 2HQ
    Yes, you'd hope the place they keep all our money would be better defended.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    Honestly if Mick Lynch mentions one more time he's a working class bloke I may commit unspeakable acts of violence.

God I hate people who keep on banging on about being working class like that makes them special
  • Options
    For some reason, I have to quote everything everyone has ever said since the launch of PB in order to reply.

It might be the rum.

Let’s try again:

@Gardenwalker - I think Nandy is too lightweight.

I could go for Streeting / Rachel, Rachel / Streeting or Bridget / Rachel or possibly Rachel / Bridget.

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.
    Buckingham Palace is SW1A 0AA and Downing Street is SW1A 2AA.

I always remember Radio 1's studios, after they moved a short distance from Broadcasting House - W1N 4DJ.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

They’re still selling booze, it’s a cynical money grab disguised as some guff about community relations.

Yes, the result for many, will be water bottles filled with vodka.
    Given it doesn't seem to apply to proper cricket, it's more likely they want to attract the rocket up the arse cocaine enthusiasts from the world of footie, but not some of their idiosyncrasies.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,817

If people don’t realise that London is the greatest city the world has ever known, their loss. Plenty do, and we welcome them here!

Agreed it’s a fantastic cosmopolitan city . It really annoys me the criticism leveled at it from other parts of the UK .

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Keir is a waste of time.
    Nice idea, and I am warmly sympathetic. But in the current state of politics having an actual, worked out, demanding, truthful, realistic, philosophically undergirded point of view is for losers.

SFAICS they have all decided that to win you have to choose between populism and secrecy.

Labour is not short of ideology. It has some to spare. Among its members are those with detailed positions which are: Marxist, Trotskyite, Laura Pidcock, socialist, social democrat, liberal democrat, Christian democrat, Jezzaite passive aggressiveism and probably some more.

PBers all know this. SKS is pretty keen not to let the cat out of the bag to the great unwashed.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.

I always remember Radio 1's studios, after they moved a short distance from Broadcasting House - W1N 4DJ.
    Very good, will remember those.

I was at a pub quiz the other week, one of the questions was “What was Swap Shop’s phone number?”

Having not thought about it for more than 35 years, and only ever as a child, I knew it straight from the top my head. Anyone else?

01 811 8055
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

I've filled them with hlbkjbkj
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited June 2022
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Aarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

At, so several people would download it at 9am, and upload it at 5pm, same file name, no version control, no backups…

Use databases, people.
    Also note that "Access" is not a member of the set "Databases"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.

Very good, will remember those.

I was at a pub quiz the other week, one of the questions was “What was Swap Shop’s phone number?”

Having not thought about it for more than 35 years, and only ever as a child, I knew it straight from the top my head. Anyone else?

01 811 8055
    Its 01 'if youre outside London' etc
    And ive got everything from my sisters toy box and i want all the subbuteo shit
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    The mood music amongst Lib Dem workers seems perkier than 72 hours ago.
    Apparently had getting on for 200 helpers by mid afternoon today, not bad considering rail chaos, needing time off work etc etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Vanilla is a bit fucked.

@Anabobazina

I know some think Nandy is lightweight, but I disagree. And even if I were to concede some agreement, I’d suggest it could be covered with some media training. I think her issue is more assertiveness than spirit, intelligence and articulacy.

Bridget and Rachel are essentially Keir clones, although I respect them in their positions.

@algarkirk

It is not lack of policy per se.
    It is lack of direction, lack of message focus, lack of energy, and lack of conviction.

Keir is often criticised for being boring.
    That’s less of an issue to me (to desire “excitement” from a PM is decadent, in my view), it’s a lack of grip. He comes across a bit like an ineffectual supply teacher.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    pm215 said:

stodge said:

It's curious how much of a lag there can be on this. I was hoping to do an insulation upgrade/retrofit project on my house but have been unable to find any firms who are sufficiently non-busy to do the work at all. So I've had to put it on hold til next year -- if demand really does collapse maybe I'll have better luck then. (And I thought construction tended to feel recessions early -- maybe I'm wrong there?)
    No two slowdowns/recessions are exactly the same.

We've not had inflation in this economy for 30 years and people aren't used to it. The impact of higher prices and declining income will mean people making hard choices regarding on what they spend their money. There is still some leftover liquidity from the pandemic which is going to keep the show on the road for a while but if prices remain high there will be a knock on in terms of people reigning in.

It may be construction will feel this later than on other occasions but I saw a report today from one of the housebuilders suggesting demand was softening so there are growing signs of what will be a pronounced slowdown in activity if not later this year then during 2023 and especially if energy prices continue rising through the next autumn and winter.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Aarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Use databases, people.
    Also note that "Access" is not a member of the set "Databases"
    This is just pure IT Dev snobbery. Anything that is usable by the layman becomes not quite right.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I’m having to delete posts from @Leon from January 1986 on the decline of French food simply to post a simple reply to @Gardenwalker.

What in the holy name of all gods (and no gods) is going on?
  • Options
    stodge said:

pm215 said:

stodge said:

No two slowdowns/recessions are exactly the same.

We've not had inflation in this economy for 30 years and people aren't used to it. The impact of higher prices and declining income will mean people making hard choices regarding on what they spend their money. There is still some leftover liquidity from the pandemic which is going to keep the show on the road for a while but if prices remain high there will be a knock on in terms of people reigning in.

It may be construction will feel this later than on other occasions but I saw a report today from one of the housebuilders suggesting demand was softening so there are growing signs of what will be a pronounced slowdown in activity if not later this year then during 2023 and especially if energy prices continue rising through the next autumn and winter.
    The context - of interest rates on the floor for a decade, printed money at a substantial proportion of GDP, inflated asset prices, supply squeeze, war, pandemic - is so far outside any economics textbooks, that pretty much anything could happen next.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Keir is a waste of time.
    I'm on the fence with him atm.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.

HM Treasury
    1 Horse Guards Road
    London
    SW1A 2HQ
    Apsley House, once home of the Duke of Wellington, used to be at "No. 1, London."

I'm unsure if that makes No. 10 an order of magnitude less or more important...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

I'm wary of Unherd as I associate it with the bonkers Revolutionary Communist Party, but maybe that's wrong or out of date? it's a beautifully written article.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

I’m having to delete posts from @Leon from January 1986 on the decline of French food simply to post a simple reply to @Gardenwalker.

All is working fine on PB.com
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Just delete everything within the second blockquote tag.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    All good advice.

Tell us more....
    kinabalu said:

I don't go with this 'young v old' argument. I think it's a false and unhelpful way of framing things.
  • Options
    EXCLUSIVE

Alastair Campbell is back advising Keir Starmer personally and is working behind the scenes on Labour's communications.
  • Options

I'm wary of Unherd as I associate it with the bonkers Revolutionary Communist Party, but maybe that's wrong or out of date? it's a beautifully written article.
    Aren’t you confusing Spiked with Unherd?

It’s hard to keep track, I’ll admit.
  • Options

All is working fine on PB.com
    Good for PB.com. I haven’t been able to post on that site for at least a decade. I think it relates to an ancient ban.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just delete everything within the second blockquote tag.
    Usually it’s an errant blockquote tag. Or a “less than” symbol, which is parsed as an open html tag.
  • Options
    theakes said:

The mood music amongst Lib Dem workers seems perkier than 72 hours ago.
    Apparently had getting on for 200 helpers by mid afternoon today, not bad considering rail chaos, needing time off work etc etc.

The key will be to get the vote out tomorrow (not surprisingly) and the extent to which the LDs have been able to get a good share of the postal vote.

I'm told it will be a late night (or early morning) with both T&H and Wakefield looking at declarations around 4am.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

Alastair Campbell is back advising Keir Starmer personally and is working behind the scenes on Labour's communications.

The Dark Lord Mandy will be close behind
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    There’s a lot of anger, fear, disillusion and desperation in the country and the job of the LotO is to channel that and to transmute it to hope.

I personally have no faith in Keir, save that he is not a lying hound and I believe he is dedicated to public service.

But that’s not enough.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

If I was a Labour voter I'd quite like that news. What do you think though?
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

Great news for anyone interested in politics, of all stripes. A great ally, a worthy opponent.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

Ah, the return of “Mr 45 minutes”.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Thanks Brexit

I remember 2014. "If you Scots vote yes you'll need to pay roaming fees in England!"

If this is Brexit related, it would tend to add credibility to that prediction wouldn't it?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.
    A silly address, because there's more than 1 Absolute Arse in it.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

EXCLUSIVE

The Dark Lord Mandy will be close behind
    I suspect many of a Labour persuasion would be keen to see Mandy and Cambo back. They rang rings around the Tories for a decade.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

Great news for anyone interested in politics, of all stripes. A great ally, a worthy opponent.
    Has he eaten his kilt yet?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    nico679 said:

Agreed it’s a fantastic cosmopolitan city . It really annoys me the criticism leveled at it from other parts of the UK .

People compare it with how good it could be (or an idealised version of that) rather than comparing it with what the rest of the world has.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks Ben!

10 Downing Street
    Etc.
    A silly address, because there's more than 1 Absolute Arse in it.
    Ah, so it should be SW1A 650AA. ;)
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

My view of him is that he is a great political operator, and a thoroughly nasty person.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

nico679 said:

People compare it with how good it could be (or an idealised version of that) rather than comparing it with what the rest of the world has.
    Really? I just compare it with what I have and find it wanting.
  • Options
    EXCLUSIVE: Peter Mandelson has also made a return to Keir's team.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

My view of him is that he is a great political operator, and a thoroughly nasty person.
    Well you would say that. Have you ever met him?
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

You sure, or guessing?
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

You sure, or guessing?
    I am sure, my source has told me today.
  • Options
    I don’t know if I mentioned that I’m entirely self-taught on excel. Would that change how anybody judges my spreadsheet?
  • Options
    ….
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE: Peter Mandelson has also made a return to Keir's team.

Come on, you'll be telling us Tony Blair is providing consultancy next.
This discussion has been closed.