Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LDs rarely lose when they go into a by-election “full gas” – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,493
    RH1992 said:

Good evening all, I promise not to join the PB travelogue by spamming my festival exploits over the next few days but I felt the gorgeous sunset over the Mendip Hills this evening was too good not to be shared. To atone I'll definitely be keeping up with Wakefield and Tiverton & Homerton as the results come in tomorrow evening.

Jealous. I last went to Glasto in 1987.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,930
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

@BlancheLivermore

You'll need to contextualise your Excel skills.

Mention the time we used Excel to do X and it helped us reduce costs/increase sales/target our customers with the best products/etc/delete as applicable.

My friend told me that it saves her about an hour and a half a week in paperwork, and she hasn’t needed my help to update in the three years since I set it up.

Is that the sort of thing?
    In the format of a STAR response.
    It's all the rage in interviewing these days.
    I've only had three jobs in the last twenty years. And I didn't have to apply for any of them. I didn't know how to do it then, and I certainly don't now.

What's STAR?
    A way of answering real life/work questions.
    Stands for situation, task, action, result.
    So "Explain how you have used your IT skills?/solved a problem/etc."

S "My friend was having difficulty with administration for her business. It was taking up too much of her time."
    T "She asked if I could come up with a solution."
    A "I used my knowledge of excel spreadsheets to format all her financial records on one simple page."
    R "She estimates it saves her an hour and a half of paperwork a week. It has never needed updating."

It's pretty useful for answering any of those kinds of questions. Helps avoid rambling. And to focus on the question. Basics here.

https://novoresume.com/career-blog/interview-star-method
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

So, Ministers want longer lasting disruption?

Their wish is about to be granted...

Rail workers
    Lawyers
    Posties
    Teachers

If they really want the 70's vibe, refuse collectors next.
    Despite high inflation, the 70s saw real wage growth, though.

The 20s?
    Not so much.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    The UK will be stuck with searing inflation for years because of Brexit, according to strategists at Wall Street’s top banks

https://twitter.com/bloomberguk/status/1539504496979677184?s=21&t=yX24caZAiEv6vkJamkOukw
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936

The UK will be stuck with searing inflation for years because of Brexit, according to strategists at Wall Street’s top banks

https://twitter.com/bloomberguk/status/1539504496979677184?s=21&t=yX24caZAiEv6vkJamkOukw

We had Brexit for 2 years without high inflation it is the Ukraine war driving up global cost of living and lack of energy supplies to meet demand post pandemic
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040
    HYUFD said:

I just hosted a Labour “insider”.

No, I don’t think there is much communication between Blair and Keir. I think many New Labour types are still unconvinced that Keir has what it takes.

Blair considered launching a third party around the time of peak Brexit lunacy. I think John Major was also interested or involved, as was Ruth Davison. But it fizzled.

After that Blair was backing Jess Phillips but it’s become clear she’s a bit of an empty vessel. Blair is focusing more on his Institute now, but he still has some influence behind the scenes on things like candidate selection.

My insider suggested that Streeting would “not get through the membership”, and conceded we are all probably stuck with Starmer.

If the membership voted for Starmer they would vote for Streeting. However given Labour leads in the polls and Starmer leads as preferred PM they are not going to replace him
    Fixed Penalty Notice!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

So, Ministers want longer lasting disruption?

Their wish is about to be granted...

Rail workers
    Lawyers
    Posties
    Teachers

If they really want the 70's vibe, refuse collectors next.
    Despite high inflation, the 70s saw real wage growth, though.

The 20s?
    Not so much.
    Personally I would take 30% wage growth and 20% inflation over 4% wage growth and 10% inflation every time. If we did see a rerun of the 1970s it would represent a significant improvement over the last decade, in terms of real incomes growth.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,930
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

@BlancheLivermore

You'll need to contextualise your Excel skills.

Mention the time we used Excel to do X and it helped us reduce costs/increase sales/target our customers with the best products/etc/delete as applicable.

My friend told me that it saves her about an hour and a half a week in paperwork, and she hasn’t needed my help to update in the three years since I set it up.

Is that the sort of thing?
    In the format of a STAR response.
    It's all the rage in interviewing these days.
    I've only had three jobs in the last twenty years. And I didn't have to apply for any of them. I didn't know how to do it then, and I certainly don't now.

What's STAR?
    A way of answering real life/work questions.
    Stands for situation, task, action, result.
    So "Explain how you have used your IT skills?/solved a problem/etc."

S "My friend was having difficulty with administration for her business. It was taking up too much of her time."
    T "She asked if I could come up with a solution."
    A "I used my knowledge of excel spreadsheets to format all her financial records on one simple page."
    R "She estimates it saves her an hour and a half of paperwork a week. It has never needed updating."

It's pretty useful for answering any of those kinds of questions. Helps avoid rambling. And to focus on the question. Basics here.

https://novoresume.com/career-blog/interview-star-method
    Essentially. You'll get a tick for answering that question. If they are more interested they'll follow up. If not, you get a tick.
    If you can think of half a dozen, or better, ten such examples of practical stuff you have done, and take them into an interview you'll probably do well.
    Especially if they are across a range of situations. For example. Dealing with a difficult client/colleague. Having to give bad news. Working off own initiative. Working in a team. Making efficiency savings. Mentoring a junior. Etc, etc.
    You can usually crowbar the answers to fit the specific questions.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Applicant said:

kle4 said:

JUST IN: Lubov Chernukhin, the wife of one of Putin’s former ministers, gave £30,000 to Tories at fundraising dinner on Monday - Daily Mail

https://twitter.com/BNNUK/status/1539370008421203972

Irrespective of whether that is dodgy by virtue of her husband's connections, I don't see any reason a political party needs to receive such large donations from someone.

Clamp down with a severe reduction in scale of acceptable donation, from any person or group, and if they cannot survive, tough.
    But WTAF is the Tory party doing taking ANY Russian money in the current climate? They should have run a mile!
    She's a British citizen.
    We've been down this racist rabbit hole before.

Apparently living in the UK for decades, having British citizenship etc is never enough to remove the tar of where some people used to live or were born according to some blood and soil nationalists. 😣

I've experienced this bullshit in real life from utter morons being rude to myself as I lived overseas when I was young, and worse my wife because she had the temerity not to be born in this country, or to move here until she was an adult already. But I didn't expect to see such rampant xenophobia on display on this site. 😠
    When you voted for Farage and Brexit didn't you smell a rat. Were you wearing blinkers when he unveiled his 'poster'. I find these crocodile tears most unconvincing.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780

ClippP said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/BBCFLauraKT/status/1539679203054047232?t=vU38AGbTQ9m2v-RiORHumw&s=19

BREAKING: Jerry Hall is set to divorce Rupert Murdoch after being upset at him living much longer than she expected x

Well, she was more age appropriate than his last wife.
    Still blows my mind that Mick Jagger and Rupert Murdoch are custard cousins.
    I had someone experienced the internet without coming across that term before. You always know how to educate, sir.

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/BBCFLauraKT/status/1539679203054047232?t=vU38AGbTQ9m2v-RiORHumw&s=19

BREAKING: Jerry Hall is set to divorce Rupert Murdoch after being upset at him living much longer than she expected x

Well, she was more age appropriate than his last wife.
    Still blows my mind that Mick Jagger and Rupert Murdoch are custard cousins.
    Ha! Not heard that before.
    I'm here to educate and entertain.
    Not sure that I wish to be educated in "Indian English", and I am certainly not entertained.
    Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
    "Those LibDems you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, Tweeting, and not mating. You sold me... queer LibDems. I want my money back!"
    Rome really was class.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    rcs1000 said:

So, Edmund Into Kyo on Twitter has come up with an interesting Trump VP pick:

Tulsi Gabbard

I mean she's pro-Putin, she's clearly bonkers, she's pro-Life, and she's also techinically a Democrat.

Why not?

I see on Wikipedia that she's a supporter of Section 28 the Don't Say Gay Bill, so I'm sure the Trumpists would love her to be VP
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    edited June 2022
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.