Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s a 73% betting chance that Johnson will survive the year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Ominous signs from Team Starmer. Is his time up?

Step forward Wes

A man of steadfastness and principle.
    Politics fail 101 - failure to delete Tweets from your twenties.

Indeed.

(There’s another one doing the rounds involving potential serious criminal behaviour which I shall not post out of respect for this site’s owners.)

He went on a deletion spree yesterday.
    Interesting. Why yesterday of all days?

Because someone found these, and they were trending. Don’t think it has anything to do with an upcoming leadership election.
    Judging by those dates that shortly after Jan Moir published her homophobic column about the death of Stephen Gately.
    Suggesting murdering Dutch politicians might not be the wisest move considering Wilders rose to fame himself after the murder of Pim Fortuyn.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Ominous signs from Team Starmer. Is his time up?

Step forward Wes

A man of steadfastness and principle.
    Politics fail 101 - failure to delete Tweets from your twenties.

Indeed.

(There’s another one doing the rounds involving potential serious criminal behaviour which I shall not post out of respect for this site’s owners.)

He went on a deletion spree yesterday.
    Interesting. Why yesterday of all days?

Because someone found these, and they were trending. Don’t think it has anything to do with an upcoming leadership election.
    Judging by those dates that shortly after Jan Moir published her homophobic column about the death of Stephen Gately.
    The same day. Maybe Streeting can avoid being sunk by those tweets.
    Yeah, a gay man responding angrily to one of media's infamous bouts of homophobia should be ok.

It would be a different kettle of monkeys if say he said he wanted to do the same to a political opponent.
    How?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    The carpet-biting on PB tonight reminds me that there is a precedent for an advisory referendum in Scotland. The Tories bitterly opposed it. Yet it had a permanent and decisive (to date) result. That on the ownership of water in Scotland.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Russia's deputy chief of Gazprombank jumped into Ukraine and enlisted in the army - the country's "Russian legion".
    The Russian Freedom Legion has more than 400 Russian fighters fighting for Ukraine.

https://www.hs.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000008891038.html
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Nicola Sturgeon is prepared to hold an ‘advisory referendum’ on Scottish independence in Autumn 2023 if the UK government refuses to grant an S30 order for an official referendum.

This will be.. fascinating

Futile and stupid. Unionists will just boycott it.
    How would it even work, mechanically and financially? Non-SNP authorities, starting with the Lab-Lib-Con Edinburgh City Council, wouldn’t co-operate.
    IANAE, but one assumes that the Scottish Parliament could legislate to compel them to do so? Unless Westminster decides to intervene first and amend the Scotland Act to explicitly reserve the right to hold plebiscites - although, on balance, you'd think the more productive tactic would be a Unionist boycott.
    Boycott? You don't vote, you don't get. Absolute principle of any vote in the UK.

Have you forgotten about the 1979 referendum?
    Almost the same result as Brexit:

51.6 v 48.4 in 1979

51.9 v 48.1 in 2016.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Nicola Sturgeon is prepared to hold an ‘advisory referendum’ on Scottish independence in Autumn 2023 if the UK government refuses to grant an S30 order for an official referendum.

How would it even work, mechanically and financially? Non-SNP authorities, starting with the Lab-Lib-Con Edinburgh City Council, wouldn’t co-operate.
    IANAE, but one assumes that the Scottish Parliament could legislate to compel them to do so? Unless Westminster decides to intervene first and amend the Scotland Act to explicitly reserve the right to hold plebiscites - although, on balance, you'd think the more productive tactic would be a Unionist boycott.
    Boycott? You don't vote, you don't get. Absolute principle of any vote in the UK.

Have you forgotten about the 1979 referendum?
    Almost the same result as Brexit:

51.6 v 48.4 in 1979

51.9 v 48.1 in 2016.
    But that's including the dead in 1979 ... and the one was for devolution, so you should compare it with 1997 really. However, it does show how opinion has permanently shifted under the rule fo the Conservative Party in London.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842

P.s. it is absolutely tipping it down in Canada for the F1 qualifying. Get yer money on Vettel or Alonso

This is going to be a fun next hour - or two.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,085
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

NEW:

She wont do it. It is all talk for internal reasons.

I can always rely on PB for insight into Sturgeon's real motivations.

Anyway, someone who knows stuff.

You know where I stand - there is a democratic mandate for a new referendum. But, there is no point holding an advisory vote. People will simply boycott it. Yes will win massively. And then nothing at all happens.

Sturgeon made all the right points at her presser. Her government has a direct mandate for this referendum. So go on campaign mode to secure it. The Tories attacking democracy. Your vote is worthless. Go at it in England. Make the Tories look like the duplicitous shits they are.

Because unless there is a Westminster-mandated referendum its all a waste of time. So make it politically a ball-ache to deny the will of the people.
    If Sturgeon holds an unofficial referendum not agreed with the UK government unlike 2014 then Unionists will boycott it as in the unofficial Catalan independence referendum in 2017. The UK government like the Spanish government then would also ignore the result
    Creating a constitutional crisis could be the move. Rock, pond.

I've bet on SindyRef2 before 2025 and I'm certainly not writing it off yet.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

You have to hand it to Sir Keir Royale, a man of honour. If he goes, he’ll do his best to secure the legacy and keep the Corbynites away from control of the party.

I’m a Reeves man, but wonder if Phillipson sneaks in in an open contest?

Labour have a number of decent choices, including Phillipson. My sense is that Reeves and Burnham would be a turnoff for the extra voters they need. It's easy to think that the 'Labour through and through' types (typified by Burnham) are what is needed. What is needed is a few million voters who don't vote for that and last time voted Tory.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

NEW:

You know where I stand - there is a democratic mandate for a new referendum. But, there is no point holding an advisory vote. People will simply boycott it. Yes will win massively. And then nothing at all happens.

Sturgeon made all the right points at her presser. Her government has a direct mandate for this referendum. So go on campaign mode to secure it. The Tories attacking democracy. Your vote is worthless. Go at it in England. Make the Tories look like the duplicitous shits they are.

Because unless there is a Westminster-mandated referendum its all a waste of time. So make it politically a ball-ache to deny the will of the people.
    If Sturgeon holds an unofficial referendum not agreed with the UK government unlike 2014 then Unionists will boycott it as in the unofficial Catalan independence referendum in 2017. The UK government like the Spanish government then would also ignore the result
    Creating a constitutional crisis could be the move. Rock, pond.

I've bet on SindyRef2 before 2025 and I'm certainly not writing it off yet.
    If you mean a UK government authorised one I think the odds are very long.

• Options
    Jesus did Bart call Johnson a man of principle, the man who wrote two columns on Brexit and decided at the last minute
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,446
    I reckon it must be about 20 degrees cooler tonight compared to yesterday at the same time.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,349
    A moving thread.

https://twitter.com/mariamposts/status/1538225195453915136
    Today was the funeral of the Ukrainian activist Roman Ratushny. Russians killed him. To honor him and thousands of other Ukrainians, I want to talk about my generation—a thread about the first generation of independent Ukraine…
  • Options

I note with interest that Wes Streeting read history at Selwyn College.

My word, those chaps are awesome, filled to the brim with intellect and modesty to match.

He'll make a fantastic PM.

Kate Forbes also a Selwyn historian. Next leader of the SNP if they have any sense.

• Options

Sir Keir Starmer is planning for his own succession and has told candidates vying to replace him to be ready to fight for the leadership if he is forced to quit over claims that he broke Covid rules.

The Labour leader has told allies he wants plans in place to ensure that his work rebuilding the party will not be at risk if he is suddenly forced to resign. He has promised to quit if Durham police find he broke lockdown rules when he had beer and curry with staff after a day campaigning in the local elections on April 30 last year.

He told friends: “I will not let this party become a basket case again. I will not let our hard-won gains be squandered so we will need to be ready in the unlikely event that the worst comes to the worst.”

It is understood he has since met a number of members of his shadow cabinet with leadership ambitions and has urged them to put campaign teams in place.

Wes Streeting and Lisa Nandy have made no secret of their ambitions and are believed to be among the candidates to have received Starmer’s endorsement.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/keir-starmer-prepares-for-the-worst-as-challengers-eye-up-his-job-36fqdzbhm

While I’m not a Starmer fan, the contrast with Johnson in his willingness to put a greater good ahead of his own personal interest is palpable.
    PMSL he backed himself into a corner and left himself with no choice.

There is no contrast whatsoever, Starmer was prepared to stand shoulder to shoulder with Corbyn turning a blind eye to all the antisemitism in order to further his own personal interest.
    Not sure it will play out that way with the masses if Starmer does end up resigning.
    Probably not but just because he backed himself into a corner doesn't mean there's a real contrast.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Sandpit said:

P.s. it is absolutely tipping it down in Canada for the F1 qualifying. Get yer money on Vettel or Alonso

Vettel knocked out in Q1!
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

HYUFD said:

NEW:

What you think on this issue has as much weight as what my cat thinks. And he at least is a Scottish resident.
    😺😺
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Sandpit said:

Well, my Vettel bet was short lived. Still hopeful for Alonso
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited June 2022

Sir Keir Starmer is planning for his own succession and has told candidates vying to replace him to be ready to fight for the leadership if he is forced to quit over claims that he broke Covid rules.

The Labour leader has told allies he wants plans in place to ensure that his work rebuilding the party will not be at risk if he is suddenly forced to resign. He has promised to quit if Durham police find he broke lockdown rules when he had beer and curry with staff after a day campaigning in the local elections on April 30 last year.

He told friends: “I will not let this party become a basket case again. I will not let our hard-won gains be squandered so we will need to be ready in the unlikely event that the worst comes to the worst.”

It is understood he has since met a number of members of his shadow cabinet with leadership ambitions and has urged them to put campaign teams in place.

Wes Streeting and Lisa Nandy have made no secret of their ambitions and are believed to be among the candidates to have received Starmer’s endorsement.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/keir-starmer-prepares-for-the-worst-as-challengers-eye-up-his-job-36fqdzbhm

While I’m not a Starmer fan, the contrast with Johnson in his willingness to put a greater good ahead of his own personal interest is palpable.
    PMSL he backed himself into a corner and left himself with no choice.

There is no contrast whatsoever, Starmer was prepared to stand shoulder to shoulder with Corbyn turning a blind eye to all the antisemitism in order to further his own personal interest.
    Not sure it will play out that way with the masses if Starmer does end up resigning.
    Probably not but just because he backed himself into a corner doesn't mean there's a real contrast.
    Maybe he just backed himself not to have broken the law.

In any event, whatever the outcome, at a fundamental level the contrast between Johnson and Starmer couldn't be more striking.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

This aged about as well as my posts on cricket.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited June 2022
    algarkirk said:

You have to hand it to Sir Keir Royale, a man of honour. If he goes, he’ll do his best to secure the legacy and keep the Corbynites away from control of the party.

Labour have a number of decent choices, including Phillipson. My sense is that Reeves and Burnham would be a turnoff for the extra voters they need. It's easy to think that the 'Labour through and through' types (typified by Burnham) are what is needed. What is needed is a few million voters who don't vote for that and last time voted Tory.

Indeed so. Having Rayner even as deputy is a problem because of the "scum" comments.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,938
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

The UK government would tell Unionists to boycott, then completely ignore the result as the future of the Union is reserved to Westminster
    Not an argument at all.

You don't vote, you are assumed not to give a shit about the results.

Or else any government or administration could tell people that they'd assume that DNV was for the ruling party. You know, like your arithmetic on PB.
    Even if 100% voted and 100% voted Yes the UK government could ignore the result as union matters are reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998. A Unionist boycott just adds to its illegitimacy.

The SNP should just be grateful this Tory UK government has not yet followed their conservative PP cousins when they were in government in Spain in 2017, when not only did they urge unionists to ignore the unofficial independence referendum held by the Catalan Nationalist government and ignored the result but imposed temporary direct rule on Catalonia and via the Spanish courts ordered the arrest of Nationalist leaders for sedition, forcing them into exile
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Andy_JS said:

I reckon it must be about 20 degrees cooler tonight compared to yesterday at the same time.

Good job it isn't here.
    We'd have a frost.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Indeed so. Having Rayner even as deputy is a problem because of the "scum" comments.
    Rayner is Starmer's John Prescott, his connection to the non London, non Southern working class
  • Options

Jesus did Bart call Johnson a man of principle, the man who wrote two columns on Brexit and decided at the last minute

A man of singular principle - himself.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Andy_JS said:

We were supposed to be going to an open air theatre production tonight...

...but thankfully we've both caught covid so had to bail out.

Every cloud, eh?
  • Options
    So far this isn't going the way you expect an F1 qualifying to go. It's more of a demolition Derby.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This aged about as well as my posts on cricket.
    TBF, though, the bit about Vettel hasn't worked but Alonso is doing rather well. Better than Perez...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So far this isn't going the way you expect an F1 qualifying to go. It's more of a demolition Derby.

That Aston Martin performance was bizarre. Strong in all practices until that
  • Options
    Red Bull wanting their two cars to start near the two Ferraris tomorrow.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Shit, BTC down 14% on the day

Not that I inherently care but this will shirley have spillover effects?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Red Bull wanting their two cars to start near the two Ferraris tomorrow.

Given the way the Ferraris keep blowing up in interesting ways, that's a foolish strategy.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Keir Starmer leaves Labour in its best position since 1994.

He will go down in history as the man who saved this great party from extinction. Something nobody thought possible in 2019, he did it in three years.

Wtf is this leaving Labour thing?

If you're coming out with stuff like this can you please at least give us a link? I'm assuming it's on twitter or instagram or Only Fans or Love island or some chap you bumped into the other day called Bernard.
    No, my source speaks for themselves, I am sure others will be able to back me up.
    Ah.

I like you and most of your posts but I'm going to treat this with 99% cynicism, if you don't mind.
    Without being inflammatory you have been prone to claim a source in power yourself...
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Yeah I was thinking about this today. People complain about Boris Johnson and all his many flaws. Conservative voters don't like him and a proportion think he is unethical and a liar. But then why would they switch to Labour when people like Rayner are around, someone who appears to regard you as 'scum' for voting Conservative? They just won't. They will carry on voting Conservative.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Just gone below $18k, was $32k on 31st May.

The real problem comes when Tether falls over, which has been predicted for weeks but still not happened. The real clothing of the Emperor is slowly being revealed.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    IshmaelZ said:

Loads of retail investors will start complaining that the financial authorities didn't warn them that could lose the lot?
  • Options
    Wild, fiery, orange sunset tonight with a rainbow.

End of days colours blazing the skies.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Loads of retail investors will start complaining that the financial authorities didn't warn them that could lose the lot?
    The worry is more that people with leveraged positions have to start offloading proper assets to meet margin calls...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201

Dull and grey here, complete contrast to yesterday!
  • Options
    Market rules are wrong. You have caretaker party leaders but not caretaker PMs, someone either is PM or isn't with no caretaker about it.

Betting orchid is a bit trippy.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

The UK government would tell Unionists to boycott, then completely ignore the result as the future of the Union is reserved to Westminster
    Not an argument at all.

Or else any government or administration could tell people that they'd assume that DNV was for the ruling party. You know, like your arithmetic on PB.
    Even if 100% voted and 100% voted Yes the UK government could ignore the result as union matters are reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998. A Unionist boycott just adds to its illegitimacy.

The SNP should just be grateful this Tory UK government has not yet followed their conservative PP cousins when they were in government in Spain in 2017, when not only did they urge unionists to ignore the unofficial independence referendum held by the Catalan Nationalist government and ignored the result but imposed temporary direct rule on Catalonia and via the Spanish courts ordered the arrest of Nationalist leaders for sedition, forcing them into exile
    "We're not Francoist granny-bashers." A slogan to go on election with for the Tories. On a level with "We don't kill as many grannies as Dr Shipman".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Not an argument at all.

Oh yes: I'm just thinking that the Conservative Party - and you, the other day - are always going on and on and on and on about their electoral mandate.

Yet when there is one in Scotland, it doesn't count?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,087
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

The worry is more that people with leveraged positions have to start offloading proper assets to meet margin calls...
    Scale matters for that though. If a few people have to do that it's a problem for them. It only becomes a problem for everyone else if the numbers are large, or involve institutions that drags in people who weren't directly involved.

I have no idea what the exposure is, but I would be surprised if it was comparable to the sub-prime crisis.
  • Options
    The current Tory Party is scum, are all Tories or Tory voters scum of course not.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Not an argument at all.

Oh yes: I'm just thinking that the Conservative Party - and you, the other day - are always going on and on and on and on about their electoral mandate.

Well you never accepted the result of the 2014 Scottish vote against independence anyway did you
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scale matters for that though. If a few people have to do that it's a problem for them. It only becomes a problem for everyone else if the numbers are large, or involve institutions that drags in people who weren't directly involved.

I have no idea what the exposure is, but I would be surprised if it was comparable to the sub-prime crisis.
    Isn't a lot of crypto held by criminal gangs of various descriptions.

It would be a terrible tragedy if they all went bust. Think of all the casualties it might cause as we all died laughing.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,446
    Lord Sumption:

"Our continued participation in the European Convention on Human Rights therefore means that we have two parallel and potentially conflicting judicial systems for giving effect to human rights: a domestic one which respects the proper limits of the judicial role and the proper claims of democratic politics, and an international one which has little regard for either. Immigration and deportation are sensitive political issues on which there are strong democratic pressures for tighter control. While the present situation subsists, they will be the flashpoints of the future.

It is too soon to think of withdrawing from the convention, although the government currently plans legislation to reduce the influence of the Strasbourg court in the UK. One thing, however, is clear. Withdrawing from the convention or modifying its operation here need not mean abrogating human rights. We can have all or any of the rights in the convention under ordinary domestic legislation without submitting to the expansive and self-promoting edicts of the Strasbourg court."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anonymous-strasbourg-judge-uk-courts-comment-rwanda-flights-vvszw86z0
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Not an argument at all.

"We're not Francoist granny-bashers." A slogan to go on election with for the Tories. On a level with "We don't kill as many grannies as Dr Shipman".
    Let's not be hasty, until we see how the Christian People's Alliance candidate in Wakefield does with their innovative 'Vote for me, I have never sexually assaulted anyone' campaign message, we cannot be sure such direct slogans do not work.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Not an argument at all.

Well you never accepted the result of the 2014 Scottish vote against independence anyway did you
    What on earth are you talking about? I've never seen any move to have it suspended or changed. Unlike yoiur party with its attempts to prorogue parliament, ignore the law of the land, and so on.

A different referendum under the current conditions is a different matter.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Not an argument at all.

Let's not be hasty, until we see how the Christian People's Alliance candidate does with their innovative 'Vote for me, I have never sexually assaulted anyone' campaign message, we cannot be sure such direct slogans do not work.
    Point taken, but there is a difference between

"We don't molest as many people as the Tory MPs do"

and

"We don't molest people full stop".
  • Options
    @Razedabode had an interesting split with his predictions.

Vettel - eliminated in R1.

Alonso - second!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Not an argument at all.

What on earth are you talking about? I've never seen any move to have it suspended or changed. Unlike yoiur party with its attempts to prorogue parliament, ignore the law of the land, and so on.

What is Sturgeon's motive but to ignore it until she gets the result she wants despite it being less than a decade ago.

The UK government however will respect it and thus refuse to allow an official indyref2 for at least a generation since 2014 and ignore the result of any unofficial indyref
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Lord Sumption:

"Our continued participation in the European Convention on Human Rights therefore means that we have two parallel and potentially conflicting judicial systems for giving effect to human rights: a domestic one which respects the proper limits of the judicial role and the proper claims of democratic politics, and an international one which has little regard for either. Immigration and deportation are sensitive political issues on which there are strong democratic pressures for tighter control. While the present situation subsists, they will be the flashpoints of the future.

It is too soon to think of withdrawing from the convention, although the government currently plans legislation to reduce the influence of the Strasbourg court in the UK. One thing, however, is clear. Withdrawing from the convention or modifying its operation here need not mean abrogating human rights. We can have all or any of the rights in the convention under ordinary domestic legislation without submitting to the expansive and self-promoting edicts of the Strasbourg court."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anonymous-strasbourg-judge-uk-courts-comment-rwanda-flights-vvszw86z0

Well, knock me down with a feather. Who'd a thunk a neoliberal, libertarian, Eton-educated Tory like Sumption would be against the ECHR?

Keep on chipping away at that metropolitan elite, m'lord, you'll bring'em down one day!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2022

Pressure must be considerable on Sturgeon, though. Unless she wants to head off into the sunset

The Sunday newspapers must be grim if Nicola Sturgeon is throwing a wildcat Indy Referendum on the table on a Saturday night. I have no doubt that Autumn 2023 is her planned exit date, that PR stunt inside and outside Holyrood this week was definitely the launch of her preferred successor Angus Robertson's leadership campaign. They also needed a diversion from Angus Robertson's shambolic management of the Scottish Census, the Patrick Grady finding and of course the latest bad news trickling out of committee on the ferries scandal all week.

While the promise of a wildcat Indy Referendum next year might keep the SNP/Yes base happy for a while, the main opposition parties will simple boycott it. Nicola Sturgeon would have to be desperate to plan to preside over such a shambolic circus as it would definitely end up in the courts while causing yet more division among Scots, especially if she is planning to export her 'civic nationalism' onto the world stage post Holyrood. Remember this is the SNP who cannot even manage a census or build a couple of ferries without lengthy delays and going massively over budget. But don't be surprised if Peter Murrell was to cynically launch a 'new Indy Referendum' fundraiser...
  • Options
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/boris-johnson-wanted-to-give-carrie-symonds-a-100000-downing-street-role/

Interesting. I picked up a paper copy of the Times for free at de airport dis mornin an it said, phatboi tried to give
    Ilse Koch a job as chief of staff at the FO while he was FS, without disclosing they was in lurve. apparently story has now vanished from Times online.

Makes ya fink.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

...waits for the first council to fess up that they've put their reserves into bitcoin.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It will be interesting to see if Tesla have liquidated their position, or not.
    Neither thing is likely to be positive for crypto…
  • Options

Has Putin pressed the button?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

Not an argument at all.

What is Sturgeon's motive but to ignore it until she gets the result she wants despite it being less than a decade ago.

The UK government however will respect it and thus refuse to allow an official indyref2 for at least a generation since 2014 and ignore the result of any unofficial indyref
    Ignoring it = proceeding as if it had not happened.

Asking for a second referendum is, absolutely fundamentally, the opposite.

Especially after several general elections since 2014.

• Options
    fitalass said:

Pressure must be considerable on Sturgeon, though. Unless she wants to head off into the sunset

The Sunday newspapers must be grim if Nicola Sturgeon is throwing a wildcat Indy Referendum on the table on a Saturday night. I have no doubt that Autumn 2023 is her planned exit date, that PR stunt inside and outside Holyrood this week was definitely the launch of her preferred successor Angus Robertson's leadership campaign. They also needed a diversion from Angus Robertson's shambolic management of the Scottish Census, the Patrick Grady finding and of course the latest bad news trickling out of committee on the ferries scandal all week.

While the promise of a wildcat Indy Referendum next year might keep the SNP/Yes base happy for a while, the main opposition parties will simple boycott it. Nicola Sturgeon would have to be desperate to plan to preside over such a shambolic circus as it would definitely end up in the courts while causing yet more division among Scots, especially if she is planning to export her 'civic nationalism' onto the world stage post Holyrood. Remember this is the SNP who cannot even manage a census or build a couple of ferries without lengthy delays and going massively over budget. But don't be surprised if Peter Murrell was to cynically launch a 'new Indy Referendum' fundraiser...
    The SNP which can electrify railways and build major bridges withouyt going over budget? In contrast to you know who ...
  • Options
    Bah. Came close with my Alonso bet. Absolutely no idea what Russell thought he was doing
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

The only people I know who still have Bitcoins, are Russians that had their bank accounts shut down by Putin. The exchanges have very little liquidity to actually turn BTC into Greenbacks.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@Razedabode had an interesting split with his predictions.

Vettel - eliminated in R1.

Alonso - second!

So close yet so far..
  • Options

Bah. Came close with my Alonso bet. Absolutely no idea what Russell thought he was doing

Fair play to Russell for trying something different. He could have been the hero today, but it was the wrong call.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fair play to Russell for trying something different. He could have been the hero today, but it was the wrong call.
    Worked for Haas though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,956
    fitalass said:

Still, not so terrible that the party you support can come even close to them of course. 60+ years isn't it..

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

The current Tory Party is scum, are all Tories or Tory voters scum of course not.

Wash your mouth out Angela!
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    Andy_JS said:

Lord Sumption:

I always roll my eyes when I hear that human rights can be protected through domestic legislation. Any democratically elected government with a majority in the house of commons would come under irresistible pressure to remove minority rights that are unpopular or politically inconvenient at any point in time. It is clear to me that leaving the ECHR is the end of human rights, as we know them. We'd end up with a malleable, ever changing set of rights that follow changing public whims. Some people may want this, which is a view I respect; but the idea that human rights are safe if we leave the ECHR is complete nonsense.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,880
    Carnyx said:

fitalass said:

The SNP which can electrify railways and build major bridges withouyt going over budget? In contrast to you know who ...
    I thought Sturgeon's reaction to the "what first - ferries or a referendum?" was telling - she knows it (and similar stuff) will cause issues.

The Census is interesting for another reason - if some of the low turnout is attributed to Unionist boycott, then Scotland will find itself in all sorts of trouble going forward. Including in trying to hold a referendum.
  • Options

Has Putin pressed the button?
    LOL.

Well, it's gone dark now and I am still alive so I think it was a natural event.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lord Sumption:

Well, knock me down with a feather. Who'd a thunk a neoliberal, libertarian, Eton-educated Tory like Sumption would be against the ECHR?

Keep on chipping away at that metropolitan elite, m'lord, you'll bring'em down one day!
    He is effectively suggesting we trust this government to rewrite our human rights arrangements.
    I’m afraid I’m anti, rather than conSumption on that.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176

dixiedean said:

So long as Mike Yarwood doesn't get back on TV, I'm cool.
    (Yes. He's still alive).

Indeed.
    Slightly sad pic

That care home must be an interesting one to work at.
    I liked Mike Yarwood.
    Another person whose career was destroyed by Thatcher.
    Ŧhe Genius that was Bob Monkhouse brought Mike Yarwood on for both's last gig. Bob knew he had months left at best. And gave time to Mike Yarwood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koFrPs_80gQ
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

All the potentials there. Would have beaten Hamilton I reckon - but every now and then you can see the immaturity. He’ll do well tomorrow though I reckon
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/boris-johnson-wanted-to-give-carrie-symonds-a-100000-downing-street-role/

Interesting. I picked up a paper copy of the Times for free at de airport dis mornin an it said, phatboi tried to give
    Ilse Koch a job as chief of staff at the FO while he was FS, without disclosing they was in lurve. apparently story has now vanished from Times online.

Makes ya fink.

I posted that earlier. Bonzo is corrupt shock.

Also- point of order. Don't have an affair at work. Never ends well. (I've not done it, but have consoled its victims...)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

(Yes. He's still alive).

Indeed.
    Slightly sad pic

I liked Mike Yarwood.
    Ŧhe Genius that was Bob Monkhouse brought Mike Yarwood on for both's last gig. Bob knew he had months left at best. And gave time to Mike Yarwood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koFrPs_80gQ
    Damn you! It’s 1:30am now, and thanks to that post I’m not getting to bed before 2:30.
  • Options
    Will confess to having broken off a successful diet with a few beers tonight. Been on a couple of decent walks over the last few days. Today was going to find the Bridge of Alvah. Successful, with a nice meander down dashed on the map in reality a farm track route back to the car.

A track that led me through the middle of Macduff Distillery. The right to roam is important in Scotland.

The weather? 20c and either sunny or muggy. But not silly warm like in London. Or my FIL in the hills above Alicante where its been 43 in the shade.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

The only people I know who still have Bitcoins, are Russians that had their bank accounts shut down by Putin. The exchanges have very little liquidity to actually turn BTC into Greenbacks.
    And @rcs1000 and other who have lost their keys ?
  • Options

QTWAIN.

I said that Starmer has no more principles than Johnson. That was a comment on Starmer, not praise for Johnson.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

(Yes. He's still alive).

Indeed.
    Slightly sad pic

I liked Mike Yarwood.
    Damn you! It’s 1:30am now, and thanks to that post I’m not getting to bed before 2:30.
    I promise you it is worth your time. Bob was a genius, and that last gig was bitter-sweet
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Lord Sumption:

I always roll my eyes when I hear that human rights can be protected through domestic legislation. Any democratically elected government with a majority in the house of commons would come under irresistible pressure to remove minority rights that are unpopular or politically inconvenient at any point in time. It is clear to me that leaving the ECHR is the end of human rights, as we know them. We'd end up with a malleable, ever changing set of rights that follow changing public whims. Some people may want this, which is a view I respect; but the idea that human rights are safe if we leave the ECHR is complete nonsense.
    I don't agree:

- many democracies manage to protect human rights without being members of the ECHR.
    - we somehow had human rights before we joined.
    - many of the recent improvements in human rights did not come from the ECHR, but from our democratically elected government, sometimes acting with popular opinion, sometimes (e.g. abolition of the death penalty, legalisation of homosexuality, gay marriage) against it.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

fitalass said:

I thought Sturgeon's reaction to the "what first - ferries or a referendum?" was telling - she knows it (and similar stuff) will cause issues.

The Census is interesting for another reason - if some of the low turnout is attributed to Unionist boycott, then Scotland will find itself in all sorts of trouble going forward. Including in trying to hold a referendum.
    Have a word, dude. Census completion is mandatory, you think people are choosing to risk a hefty fine to make an anti-SNP political point?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,849
    The story that vanished. In case you didn’t see it… https://twitter.com/soniapurnell/status/1538155978075553792/photo/1
  • Options

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

(Yes. He's still alive).

Indeed.
    Slightly sad pic

I liked Mike Yarwood.
    I promise you it is worth your time. Bob was a genius, and that last gig was bitter-sweet
    I remember watching An Audience With Bob, where he spent 20 minutes making jokes to link the names of members of the audience as he looked around. A genius indeed.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Makes ya fink.

Also- point of order. Don't have an affair at work. Never ends well. (I've not done it, but have consoled its victims...)
    Even by phatboi standards this is outrageous. The disappearance of the story even more so because it means he has got yet another super-injunction like the one about his third love child and the other one about shagging Russian violinists. And lots of others we don't know about.
  • Options

QTWAIN.

I said that Starmer has no more principles than Johnson. That was a comment on Starmer, not praise for Johnson.
    Bart we both know this is nonsense.
  • Options
    Seriously. Take the time to watch a master in action. A dying Bob Monkhouse utterly at ease with his fate and what he had gifted to the world. Pay it forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koFrPs_80gQ
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Fishing said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Lord Sumption:

I don't agree:

- many democracies manage to protect human rights without being members of the ECHR.
    - we somehow had human rights before we joined.
    - many of the recent improvements in human rights did not come from the ECHR, but from our democratically elected government, sometimes acting with popular opinion, sometimes (e.g. abolition of the death penalty, legalisation of homosexuality, gay marriage) against it.
    Any evidence that public opinion was against same-sex marriage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_Kingdom#Public_opinion
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Makes ya fink.

Even by phatboi standards this is outrageous. The disappearance of the story even more so because it means he has got yet another super-injunction like the one about his third love child and the other one about shagging Russian violinists. And lots of others we don't know about.
    It was reported on the BBC this morning.
    I don’t see how an injunction could possibly be granted to pull such a story.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Makes ya fink.

Where's the privacy angle? I don't get it.
  • Options
    MP Nick Fletcher schools letter says trans 'nothing more than a phase'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-61842311
    A Conservative MP has sent a letter describing children's gender identity doubts as "nothing more than a phase" to every school in his constituency.
    Nick Fletcher, MP for Don Valley, South Yorkshire, said he wanted to "clearly set out his position" on the issue and asked head teachers to do the same.
    His letter states that "boys are boys and girls are girls", and the media glamorises a "transgender lifestyle".
    One school said the letter was "neither helpful nor positively received".
    It was also criticised by councillors and the former boss of an LGBTQ+ youth charity, who said the comments "deny the existence" of transgender teens and could harm their mental health.
    The BBC has approached Mr Fletcher for comment.
    His letter asks schools to confirm their position on the matter …
  • Options
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Lord Sumption:

Absolutely I want that, democracy is the best check on Governments that the world has ever seen. It is not perfect, but it is better than every alternative humanity has ever tried. And actually under democracy minority rights have evolved to be protected, democratically.

The ECHR is not the end of human rights, but it might be the end of democracy if we're not careful. The people putting the ECHR on a pedestal have it entirely backwards, the ECHR as Churchill's day originally designed, a pledge of rights to be backed up by Parliament, was a great idea. The monstrosity it has evolved into today, where rights are supposedly backed up by the Council of Europe, an institution so corrupt, so malign, that it makes the European Union look angelic - is beyond pathetic.

Let us not forget that the Council of Europe deemed Vladimir Putin's Russia to be in good standing until February of this year. This is the Russia where the free press have been destroyed, elections are a sham, opposition politicians are routinely arrested or poisoned, and anyone inconvenient tends to literally be defenestrated. And I do mean literally, literally. The Council of Europe temporarily pulled Russia's voting rights after the invasion of Crimea (human rights concerns should have been flashing red long before then) but then Russia threatened to pull funding from the Council, so they were restored.

That is the institution you wish to 'protect' your rights? An institution that not only gave a cloak of credibility to claim Vladimir Putin's Russia has good human rights, but then bent over backwards to keep receiving his money?

There has never in the history of humanity been a better check on power than democracy. All other institutions, like the ECHR, inevitably get corrupted and the Council of Europe failed in its duties many years ago. We would be well shot of it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,085

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sub prime had a mountain of wholesale derivatives hanging off it - so every dollar of default mapped to many many dollars of risk on many many balance sheets. Don't think that's the so much the case with crypto.
  • Options
    When we leave the ECHR the Brexit fandom will be onto something else.

The reality is that we have a crap Government which doesn't know how to, or is unwilling, to help normal people. Instead they blame somebody else.

This will go on until they lose and lose big.

Honestly what a depressing time we live in. CoL and homelessness going up and we pick a fight with ECHR.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Makes ya fink.

Where's the privacy angle? I don't get it.
    There isn’t one.
    As reported, it was multiple sourced, and concerns conduct in a public office.
  • Options

QTWAIN.

No, we don't. Your beloved Starmer was willing to serve in Jeremy Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet, while everyone decent quit it, in order to further his own career. That was the extent of his "principles".

Starmer was willing to be elected in 2017 saying that Brexit must happen and there'll be no second referendum, then once elected did everything he could to prevent Brexit while saying there must be a second referendum and Labour must campaign for remain. That was the extent of his "principles".

Starmer was willing to campaign in 2020 saying he would "unite" the Labour Party and continue with Corbynite policies, only to jettison them and expel Corbyn as soon as it was convenient in order to further his sole agenda which is to become PM. That was the extent of his "principles".

Starmer is Labour's answer to Boris Johnson, but better dress sense and less charisma. He has no more principles than Boris, he'll say anything, do anything, and screw over anyone in order to become PM. He hasn't got an iota of principle or integrity beyond that, just like Boris.
  • Options
    Mystery surrounds Times exclusive claiming Boris Johnson wanted to give Carrie Symonds a £100,000 role
    Why did one of the scoops of the year suddenly disappear from newspapers friendly to the prime minister?

… Walters quoted one of Johnson’s senior foreign office staffers as saying: “An illicit relationship with Carrie was none of our business. Making her chief of staff was definitely our business. Our job was to protect him and we knew what was going on between them, and it would have been an insane risk to let him do it.” Another staffer was quoted as saying that, apart from anything else, Symonds was “relatively inexperienced” and the feeling was she wasn’t the “right person” for the job.

Walters stated that three of Johnson’s aides – including Ben Gascoigne, now one of his deputy chiefs of staffs and a friend of Wheeler, threatened to resign over the proposed appointment. Walters got the story into the Times on page five. MailOnline, conscious that they couldn’t ignore such a big story once it was out in the public domain, duly followed it up.…
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2022

QTWAIN.

No, we don't. Your beloved Starmer was willing to serve in Jeremy Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet, while everyone decent quit it, in order to further his own career. That was the extent of his "principles".

Starmer was willing to be elected in 2017 saying that Brexit must happen and there'll be no second referendum, then once elected did everything he could to prevent Brexit while saying there must be a second referendum and Labour must campaign for remain. That was the extent of his "principles".

Starmer was willing to campaign in 2020 saying he would "unite" the Labour Party and continue with Corbynite policies, only to jettison them and expel Corbyn as soon as it was convenient in order to further his sole agenda which is to become PM. That was the extent of his "principles".

Starmer is Labour's answer to Boris Johnson, but better dress sense and less charisma. He has no more principles than Boris, he'll say anything, do anything, and screw over anyone in order to become PM. He hasn't got an iota of principle or integrity beyond that, just like Boris.
    No we had our Johnson, that was Jeremy Corbyn.

You know deep down Starmer has more principles and integrity than Johnson. I don't know why you don't just admit it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Lord Sumption:

If a future democratically elected government can just leave the ECHR with no consequences, and if continued membership of the ECHR is what's protecting human rights, then human rights aren't "safe" in any meaning of the word that matters.
  • Options

When we leave the ECHR the Brexit fandom will be onto something else.

The reality is that we have a crap Government which doesn't know how to, or is unwilling, to help normal people. Instead they blame somebody else.

This will go on until they lose and lose big.

Honestly what a depressing time we live in. CoL and homelessness going up and we pick a fight with ECHR.

Perhaps, but the whole point of Brexit was to take back control and to have the government we elect set the law.

The Council of Europe isn't the EU, its worse and independent of the EU, but it does mean that the government we elect can't fully set the law; while simultaneously doing fuck all to protect human rights since this is an institution that took money to whitewash Vladimir Putin's Russia as meeting European human rights standards until February of this year.
This discussion has been closed.