Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s a 73% betting chance that Johnson will survive the year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,285
    pigeon said:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1538107417447354368

Not saying we’ve time travelled to the 1970s but inflation is going through the roof, there’s a heatwave, Russia and the West are at loggerheads and *Kate Bush* is top of the charts

Add to this a probable tidal wave of public sector strike action, an energy crisis and ABBA playing to sell out crowds in London, and I think he may be on to something.

What other Seventies stuff are we hoping will make a comeback?

Running Up That Hill is an 80s song.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Keir Starmer leaves Labour in its best position since 1994.

He will go down in history as the man who saved this great party from extinction. Something nobody thought possible in 2019, he did it in three years.

Lol. Once Corbyn was gone, extinction was completely out of the question.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

He will go down in history as the man who saved this great party from extinction. Something nobody thought possible in 2019, he did it in three years.

Eh? It was in a better position right up to 2010.
    Labour in 2010 was headed for defeat, this party is not.
    But was in government.
    Do you think the Labour Party in 1979 was in a better position than today? What about 1983?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203
    edited June 2022
    Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Ominous signs from Team Starmer. Is his time up?

Step forward Wes

A man of steadfastness and principle.
    Politics fail 101 - failure to delete Tweets from your twenties.

Indeed.

(There’s another one doing the rounds involving potential serious criminal behaviour which I shall not post out of respect for this site’s owners.)

He went on a deletion spree yesterday.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2022
    Heathener said:

Wtf is this leaving Labour thing?

If you're coming out with stuff like this can you please at least give us a link? I'm assuming it's on twitter or instagram or Only Fans or Love island or some chap you bumped into the other day called Bernard.
    No, my source speaks for themselves, I am sure others will be able to back me up.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

Lol. Once Corbyn was gone, extinction was completely out of the question.
    Incorrect. Go back to some of the posts here even a year ago. You are dead wrong.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

I think Tam Dalyell was a fine Labour politician.

A brilliant mind and a fine politician who posed the West Lothian question and held Margaret Thatcher to account over the sinking of the Belgrano.

Tam Dalyell was a notorious antisemite.

I didn't know that
    Guess you're referring to the 'Jewish cabal' comment on the war but that was very Tam. He was always into conspiracy theories. He held those in power to account. Sometimes he was completely wrong. Sometimes spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/26/tam-dalyell-obituary
    Bollocks, antisemitism is antisemitism.

It's the same bollocks the Trumpers and some extreme Brexiteers use when it comes demonising George Soros.

I'll put you down as someone who condones antisemitism.
    This is why I don't come on here in the evenings. Full of angry men who shout before they think.

I wasn't really pushing it hard, just curious as to why you said he was 'notoriously' anti-semitic which I can't see much backing for.

As I've repeatedly called Jeremy Corbyn an anti-semite on here I'll ignore your final sentence and place it in my trash can, where it belongs.

Have a pleasant evening everyone. Be PEACEFUL with one another. It makes for a much nicer world.

xx
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

We need a female leader. Anyway what's this ominous thing about team Starmer?
    I am hearing some ominous things from inside, I am not sure he is as confident as he was that he will be cleared.

We should choose the best leader for the job, clearly that is Wes.
    Given what was going on in no 10 Durham police better think very carefully about what they’re going to do . In terms of Starmer being less confident , that’s understandable , you never know in these situations but do they really want to be responsible for removing the Leader of the Opposition .
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    edited June 2022
    Deleted.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373
    pigeon said:

Not saying we’ve time travelled to the 1970s but inflation is going through the roof, there’s a heatwave, Russia and the West are at loggerheads and *Kate Bush* is top of the charts

Add to this a probable tidal wave of public sector strike action, an energy crisis and ABBA playing to sell out crowds in London, and I think he may be on to something.

A British woman winning Wimbledon in the Queen's jubilee year.
  • Options

Heathener said:

If you're coming out with stuff like this can you please at least give us a link? I'm assuming it's on twitter or instagram or Only Fans or Love island or some chap you bumped into the other day called Bernard.
    No, my source speaks for themselves, I am sure others will be able to back me up.
    Ah.

I like you and most of your posts but I'm going to treat this with 99% cynicism, if you don't mind.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

(There’s another one doing the rounds involving potential serious criminal behaviour which I shall not post out of respect for this site’s owners.)

Interesting. Why yesterday of all days?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

pigeon said:

It is, but Kate Bush’s first #1 was Wuthering Heights, in 1978.

One feature of the new way they compile charts, and rarely seen outside Christmas, is that singles don’t need to be released by an artist any more - they are out there forever, and a few hundred thousand people deciding they like any particular song this week, can get it back up to the top of the chart, with the artist and label doing nothing except count the money.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

I am hearing some ominous things from inside, I am not sure he is as confident as he was that he will be cleared.

Given what was going on in no 10 Durham police better think very carefully about what they’re going to do . In terms of Starmer being less confident , that’s understandable , you never know in these situations but do they really want to be responsible for removing the Leader of the Opposition .
    So you are saying that Starmer's threat to quit was to pressurise Durham into making a favourable determination?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

"...listen to what Ellsberg, now 91, has to say about Assange: ‘If he is extradited, then journalists anywhere in the world could be extradited to the U.S. for exposing classified information.’ "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10928491/ANDREW-NEIL-Julian-Assange-reckless-stupid-narcissist-not-extradited.html

Andrew Neil comes out in support of Assange.

There’s a very large distinction between supporting Assange, and thinking he should not be extradited.

I agree with Neil on this.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

One feature of the new way they compile charts, and rarely seen outside Christmas, is that singles don’t need to be released by an artist any more - they are out there forever, and a few hundred thousand people deciding they like any particular song this week, can get it back up to the top of the chart, with the artist and label doing nothing except count the money.
    But Running Up That Hill was first released in 1985, NOT 1978.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

dixiedean said:

So long as Mike Yarwood doesn't get back on TV, I'm cool.
    (Yes. He's still alive).

Indeed.
    Slightly sad pic

That care home must be an interesting one to work at.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Ah.

I like you and most of your posts but I'm going to treat this with 99% cynicism, if you don't mind.
    Feel free but I have posted here some information which I believes gives them credit.

For example posting the whole idea that Starmer was going to announce he was going to resign. I believe some got some good bets off that
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Heathener said:

Frankly I have always believed, if you do not agree that Tony Blair is the finest Labour politician of the last fifty years then you should resign your membership immediately.

Bit strong that, CHB.
    No it isn't. Because if you don't think the man who lead Labour to three victories in a row is the greatest Labour politician then it is clear, you do not want to win elections.

I believed this under Brown, I believed it under Ed, I believed it under Corbyn.

We must embrace and celebrate those years, the UK was good then. One day soon, we will get back to that.
    Barf.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,852
    Evening all :)

Interesting polling from Germany and Austria worth a mention.

The latest Forschungsgruppe Poll for ZDF has the Union on 26%, the Greens on 25%, the SPD on 22%, AfD on 10%, FDP on 6% and Linke on 5%.

A massive poll for the Greens and an awful poll for the FDP and to an extent the SPD - the current coalition is still hovering just above 50% but the Greens have done very well from their hard-line stance on the Ukraine.

In Austria, the SPD on 31% has opened up a nine point leas on the OVP which is on 22% (down 15 from the last election) and the FPO on 19%. NEOS on 12% and the Greens down to 9%. Indeed, the governing parties are down from 51% to 31% with an election the year after next.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

But was in government.
    Do you think the Labour Party in 1979 was in a better position than today? What about 1983?
    That's irrelevant.
    I don't want to be overly pedantic, but Labour is not in the best position since 1994.
    Since they have had 13 years in government, and many years 20%+ ahead in the polls.
    That would seem to be self-evident.
  • Options
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Because someone found these, and they were trending. Don’t think it has anything to do with an upcoming leadership election.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

There’s no point starting to delete stuff when you’re already an MP and seen as a leadership candidate - everyone who might find them interesting, had the whole archive downloaded some time ago.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

LOL

To be fair, there is a distinction between saying someone should be tried for a crime, and declaring them guilty of it. :smile:
  • Options

pigeon said:

A British woman winning Wimbledon in the Queen's jubilee year.
    The PM getting unceremoniously dumped out of No 10 on his arse?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

But was in government.
    That's irrelevant.
    I don't want to be overly pedantic, but Labour is not in the best position since 1994.
    Since they have had 13 years in government, and many years 20%+ ahead in the polls.
    They are clearly in the best position they've been in, in opposition since 1994. That's what I meant but sorry I did not make it clear mate
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Incidentally, as I mentioned my marching against Blair's illegal and immoral war in Iraq which slaughtered thousands of innocent civilians ... I was delighted to see German fans displaying banners this week against Qatar's staging of the World Cup.

Russia, Saudi Arabia and Qatar: three dirty regimes supported by Boris Johnson and his tory party, until the first of those became inconvenient.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

It was. And?
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

So you are saying that Starmer's threat to quit was to pressurise Durham into making a favourable determination?
    No I don’t think that . But after the conclusion of the Met investigation and the many unanswered questions that won’t have gone unnoticed by Durham police . To have Starmer resign whilst the pathological liar remains in no 10 would be extraordinary.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

It was. And?
    It's NOT a seventies song.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Because someone found these, and they were trending. Don’t think it has anything to do with an upcoming leadership election.
    Wow. Those tweets stink.

What a nasty vile series of tweets. We certainly do NOT want someone like Wes Streeting anywhere near the leadership of the Labour Party.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

It was. And?
    No-one said it was a seventies song. Because it wasn’t.
  • Options

Heathener said:

You're asking us to believe that Durham Police have leaked to Starmer that he's going to get a FPN, Starmer has leaked that to some of his associates, and one of those has leaked it to you.

Right.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

No I don’t think that . But after the conclusion of the Met investigation and the many unanswered questions that won’t have gone unnoticed by Durham police . To have Starmer resign whilst the pathological liar remains in no 10 would be extraordinary.
    Not really, it just shows they hold themselves to (vastly) different levels of what is acceptable and not. Durham's decision shouldn't be influenced by Starmer's promise, should it?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Frankly I have always believed, if you do not agree that Tony Blair is the finest Labour politician of the last fifty years then you should resign your membership immediately.

Bit strong that, CHB.
    No it isn't. Because if you don't think the man who lead Labour to three victories in a row is the greatest Labour politician then it is clear, you do not want to win elections.

I believed this under Brown, I believed it under Ed, I believed it under Corbyn.

We must embrace and celebrate those years, the UK was good then. One day soon, we will get back to that.
    Barf.
    You've vomited quite a lot this evening. Hope it's not a serious illness.
  • Options

Heathener said:

You're asking us to believe that Durham Police have leaked to Starmer that he's going to get a FPN, Starmer has leaked that to some of his associates, and one of those has leaked it to you.

Right.
    You can believe what you want.

No I believe there are jitters within Team Starmer after submitting the responses to the questionnaires they were sent. They are not as confident as they were, I didn't say anything about being cleared or not being cleared.

I have proved my source's credibility before, we will see if they are good this time.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

So long as Mike Yarwood doesn't get back on TV, I'm cool.
    (Yes. He's still alive).

Indeed.
    Slightly sad pic

That care home must be an interesting one to work at.
    I liked Mike Yarwood.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

It was. And?
    You said "What other Seventies stuff" up-thread.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Wow. Those tweets stink.

What a nasty vile series of tweets. We certainly do NOT want someone like Wes Streeting anywhere near the leadership of the Labour Party.
    Yes, it’s a shame. I quite liked him, ideological differences aside.
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    Whoever succeeds Starmer and/or Johnson had better have a spotless record when it comes to following lockdown rules. The Mirror and Mail will be rifling through all the diary entries, photographs, and CCTV clips they can find.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

It would be a disaster if Starmer has to quit because of this. He shouldn't. We all know what the deal is. Johnson didn't give a damn about the rules or lying about them. Starmer was just doing his job, following rules that Johnson made, and got stuck in a grey area whilst trying to do his job. I'm not a great admirer of the labour party and won't vote for them, but it would be a disaster for politics if Starmer goes, because he is one of the few competent people in Parliament, and he could also be a decent leader, either of a labour government, or of a rainbow progressive coalition. This is all so stupid and depressing.
  • Options
    LDLF said:

Whoever succeeds Starmer and/or Johnson had better have a spotless record when it comes to following lockdown rules. The Mirror and Mail will be rifling through all the diary entries, photographs, and CCTV clips they can find.

Probably need someone who was born after 2020 in that case. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

"...listen to what Ellsberg, now 91, has to say about Assange: ‘If he is extradited, then journalists anywhere in the world could be extradited to the U.S. for exposing classified information.’ "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10928491/ANDREW-NEIL-Julian-Assange-reckless-stupid-narcissist-not-extradited.html

The problem seems to be our general extradition arrangements with the United States, such that there may well be nothing unlawful in granting the request. In which case there's a lot put on the shoulders of politicians.
    Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Not worth it - they'd show up somehow.
  • Options
    I actually like Wes Streeting and those tweets are the sort of thing people say but clearly aren’t going to do .

I also love his letter to Javid .

• Options
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

It would be a disaster if Starmer has to quit because of this. He shouldn't. We all know what the deal is. Johnson didn't give a damn about the rules or lying about them. Starmer was just doing his job, following rules that Johnson made, and got stuck in a grey area whilst trying to do his job. I'm not a great admirer of the labour party and won't vote for them, but it would be a disaster for politics if Starmer goes, because he is one of the few competent people in Parliament, and he could also be a decent leader, either of a labour government, or of a rainbow progressive coalition. This is all so stupid and depressing.
    Promising to resign in case of an FPN wasn’t competent. It was an unforced error. But yes, it would be a shame.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

But was in government.
    That's irrelevant.
    They are clearly in the best position they've been in, in opposition since 1994. That's what I meant but sorry I did not make it clear mate
    Fair enough. But they were in a decent place 1994-7, too.
    Starmer has done really well. He's held the Party together. He's played quite a part in dismantling the Boris myth. He's put Labour in a position of looking less extreme than the alternative. Which is some going in 2 and a bit years.
    I just don't trust him one-on-one with the goalie.
    Lacks a striker's instinct and a ruthless streak.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Right.

No I believe there are jitters within Team Starmer after submitting the responses to the questionnaires they were sent. They are not as confident as they were, I didn't say anything about being cleared or not being cleared.

I have proved my source's credibility before, we will see if they are good this time.
    Fair enough - we will see.

I presume Durham Police are waiting until after the by-elections before announcing the outcome of their investigations?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Presumably he only wants Blair tried so he can clear his name.
  • Options
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

Well said.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Right.

Fair enough - we will see.

I presume Durham Police are waiting until after the by-elections before announcing the outcome of their investigations?
    The questionnaires were only submitted today I believe.
    So most likely.
  • Options
    LDLF said:

Either that, or be someone who opposed the policy in the first place. Not sure there are too many otherwise credible people who did, though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

LOL

To be fair, there is a distinction between saying someone should be tried for a crime, and declaring them guilty of it. :smile:
    Technically correct (the best kind of correct), but I think we can generally connect the dots, hence the smiley.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,216

NEW:

Nicola Sturgeon is prepared to hold an ‘advisory referendum’ on Scottish independence in Autumn 2023 if the UK government refuses to grant an S30 order for an official referendum.

This will be.. fascinating

Futile and stupid. Unionists will just boycott it.
    She wont do it. It is all talk for internal reasons.

I can always rely on PB for insight into Sturgeon's real motivations.

Anyway, someone who knows stuff.

You know where I stand - there is a democratic mandate for a new referendum. But, there is no point holding an advisory vote. People will simply boycott it. Yes will win massively. And then nothing at all happens.

Sturgeon made all the right points at her presser. Her government has a direct mandate for this referendum. So go on campaign mode to secure it. The Tories attacking democracy. Your vote is worthless. Go at it in England. Make the Tories look like the duplicitous shits they are.

Because unless there is a Westminster-mandated referendum its all a waste of time. So make it politically a ball-ache to deny the will of the people.
    I can remember a recent advisory vote that had consequences.
    Am I to gather that despite thinking that the SG has a democratic mandate to hold a referendum that you would still boycott it?
    Me? I vote in every election. But if you aren't bothered about whatever is winding up Sturgeon and it doesn't matter what the result it, why would you bother?
  • Options
    I guess what I liked about those Tam Dalyell examples - Belgrano and West Lothian question - is that I like politicians who hold other politicians to account.

It's all too rare now, though I guess the Select Committees make it their job.

We badly need accountability back in politics.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Kinnock jr is never mentioned wrt Labour's leadership succession. Is he too sane?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Wow. Those tweets stink.

I had to Google who Jan Moir was. Barf.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Presumably he only wants Blair tried so he can clear his name.
    ...clear his sordid name.

How stupid were all these people now being caught out by their own nasty tweets - did they not appreciate that these things would be kept for a time when they could be used as ammunition?

PS I am, of course, assuming the Streeting tweets are genuine.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

It would seem on balance to be deserving of benefit of the doubt, given lack of evidence of a culture of flagrant ignorance or disrespect of the laws and guidance as displayed at the heart of Downing Street. Quitting would make a point about taking responsibility, but it wouldn't make it to anyone who matters - on the contrary, those on the fence about Boris would probably just view it as further evidence of him being lucky at seeing off opponents.
  • Options
    I may need a new avatar :lol:
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

There’s a very large distinction between supporting Assange, and thinking he should not be extradited.

I agree with Neil on this.
    It's a shame how things get conflated, as I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with views that he was 'imprisoned' whilst voluntarily staying in the Ecuadorean embassy, or that it was unreasonable to jail him afterwards, even if one disagreed around his extradition.
  • Options

Keep Starmer and Vote Calmer?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

NEW:

Nicola Sturgeon is prepared to hold an ‘advisory referendum’ on Scottish independence in Autumn 2023 if the UK government refuses to grant an S30 order for an official referendum.

You know where I stand - there is a democratic mandate for a new referendum. But, there is no point holding an advisory vote. People will simply boycott it. Yes will win massively. And then nothing at all happens.

Sturgeon made all the right points at her presser. Her government has a direct mandate for this referendum. So go on campaign mode to secure it. The Tories attacking democracy. Your vote is worthless. Go at it in England. Make the Tories look like the duplicitous shits they are.

Because unless there is a Westminster-mandated referendum its all a waste of time. So make it politically a ball-ache to deny the will of the people.
    If Sturgeon holds an unofficial referendum not agreed with the UK government unlike 2014 then Unionists will boycott it as in the unofficial Catalan independence referendum in 2017. The UK government like the Spanish government then would also ignore the result
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,419
    edited June 2022
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

I think Tam Dalyell was a fine Labour politician.

A brilliant mind and a fine politician who posed the West Lothian question and held Margaret Thatcher to account over the sinking of the Belgrano.

Tam Dalyell was a notorious antisemite.

I didn't know that
    Guess you're referring to the 'Jewish cabal' comment on the war but that was very Tam. He was always into conspiracy theories. He held those in power to account. Sometimes he was completely wrong. Sometimes spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/26/tam-dalyell-obituary
    Bollocks, antisemitism is antisemitism.

It's the same bollocks the Trumpers and some extreme Brexiteers use when it comes demonising George Soros.

I'll put you down as someone who condones antisemitism.
    This is why I don't come on here in the evenings. Full of angry men who shout before they think.

I wasn't really pushing it hard, just curious as to why you said he was 'notoriously' anti-semitic which I can't see much backing for.

As I've repeatedly called Jeremy Corbyn an anti-semite on here I'll ignore your final sentence and place it in my trash can, where it belongs.

Have a pleasant evening everyone. Be PEACEFUL with one another. It makes for a much nicer world.

xx
    Accusing Jews of (secretly) being behind wars is one of the oldest antisemitic tropes, up there with Jewish money controlling the world.

You're like Jeremy Corbyn, you can spot antisemitism in front of your face.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Judging by those dates that shortly after Jan Moir published her homophobic column about the death of Stephen Gately.
  • Options
    Stay dandy and vote Nandy?

• Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

It was. And?
    You said "What other Seventies stuff" up-thread.
    No I didn’t. I replied to another poster who said that. Who was quoting a Tweet discussing the *artist* currently at No.1 in the charts. No mention of the song.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    It seems rather pre-emptive to be attacking Wes Streeting on the off chance that there's a Labour leadership campaign and that he stands.

His tweets about Jan Moir (above) were in response to a disgusting homophobic article she wrote in the Mail, linking Stephen Gately's premature death to the fact that he was gay, within a week of his death. It wasn't just Wes who was disgusted. And no, he didn't intend to push Moir under a train - "literally". And it was 6 years before he became an MP.

Wes will find all this instructive if he ever does stand to be leader, though; he'll be grateful for the time given for him to work out his defence.
  • Options
    I note with interest that Wes Streeting read history at Selwyn College.

My word, those chaps are awesome, filled to the brim with intellect and modesty to match.

He'll make a fantastic PM.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

It would seem on balance to be deserving of benefit of the doubt, given lack of evidence of a culture of flagrant ignorance or disrespect of the laws and guidance as displayed at the heart of Downing Street. Quitting would make a point about taking responsibility, but it wouldn't make it to anyone who matters - on the contrary, those on the fence about Boris would probably just it as further evidence of him being lucky at seeing off opponents.
    Yeah that is absolutely right. It would also mark a victory for Johnsons political style. He's just gone too far with his lying. It's got to the point where it is actually difficult to bring up children in this country, because it undermines everything they are taught by parents and schools.
  • Options

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Judging by those dates that shortly after Jan Moir published her homophobic column about the death of Stephen Gately.
    Not normally considered a capital offence.
  • Options

Keep Tweeting, Vote Streeting?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Incidentally, as I mentioned my marching against Blair's illegal and immoral war in Iraq which slaughtered thousands of innocent civilians ...

It was Bush’s war.
    Blair just colluded.
  • Options

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

The same day. Maybe Streeting can avoid being sunk by those tweets.
  • Options

Edit - sorry, beaten to it by Ben.
  • Options

Edit - sorry, beaten to it by Ben.
    Great minds!
  • Options

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Indeed. These ones are clearly a joke too - just not a good one for a future politician to make.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Yeah, a gay man responding angrily to one of media's infamous bouts of homophobia should be ok.

It would be a different kettle of monkeys if say he said he wanted to do the same to a political opponent.
  • Options

Sir Keir Starmer is planning for his own succession and has told candidates vying to replace him to be ready to fight for the leadership if he is forced to quit over claims that he broke Covid rules.

The Labour leader has told allies he wants plans in place to ensure that his work rebuilding the party will not be at risk if he is suddenly forced to resign. He has promised to quit if Durham police find he broke lockdown rules when he had beer and curry with staff after a day campaigning in the local elections on April 30 last year.

He told friends: “I will not let this party become a basket case again. I will not let our hard-won gains be squandered so we will need to be ready in the unlikely event that the worst comes to the worst.”

It is understood he has since met a number of members of his shadow cabinet with leadership ambitions and has urged them to put campaign teams in place.

Wes Streeting and Lisa Nandy have made no secret of their ambitions and are believed to be among the candidates to have received Starmer’s endorsement.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/keir-starmer-prepares-for-the-worst-as-challengers-eye-up-his-job-36fqdzbhm

While I’m not a Starmer fan, the contrast with Johnson in his willingness to put a greater good ahead of his own personal interest is palpable.
    PMSL he backed himself into a corner and left himself with no choice.

There is no contrast whatsoever, Starmer was prepared to stand shoulder to shoulder with Corbyn turning a blind eye to all the antisemitism in order to further his own personal interest.
  • Options
    Rumours of between 3 and 4% offered to teachers and NHS this coming week.
    Their reaction is going to be a big story.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

How would it even work, mechanically and financially? Non-SNP authorities, starting with the Lab-Lib-Con Edinburgh City Council, wouldn’t co-operate.
    IANAE, but one assumes that the Scottish Parliament could legislate to compel them to do so? Unless Westminster decides to intervene first and amend the Scotland Act to explicitly reserve the right to hold plebiscites - although, on balance, you'd think the more productive tactic would be a Unionist boycott.
    Boycott? You don't vote, you don't get. Absolute principle of any vote in the UK.

• Options
    geoffw said:

Kinnock jr is never mentioned wrt Labour's leadership succession. Is he too sane?

They’re not keen on the hereditary principle.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

How would it even work, mechanically and financially? Non-SNP authorities, starting with the Lab-Lib-Con Edinburgh City Council, wouldn’t co-operate.
    IANAE, but one assumes that the Scottish Parliament could legislate to compel them to do so? Unless Westminster decides to intervene first and amend the Scotland Act to explicitly reserve the right to hold plebiscites - although, on balance, you'd think the more productive tactic would be a Unionist boycott.
    Boycott? You don't vote, you don't get. Absolute principle of any vote in the UK.

Have you forgotten about the 1979 referendum?
  • Options

I note with interest that Wes Streeting read history at Selwyn College.

My word, those chaps are awesome, filled to the brim with intellect and modesty to match.

He'll make a fantastic PM.

Streeting would also be our first Cambridge educated PM since Baldwin
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,073

NEW:

Am I to gather that despite thinking that the SG has a democratic mandate to hold a referendum that you would still boycott it?
    Me? I vote in every election. But if you aren't bothered about whatever is winding up Sturgeon and it doesn't matter what the result it, why would you bother?
    Given this is would not be an election I can't work out if that's a yes or a no.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

The UK government would tell Unionists to boycott, then completely ignore the result as the future of the Union is reserved to Westminster
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Step forward Wes

Nope

It would seem on balance to be deserving of benefit of the doubt, given lack of evidence of a culture of flagrant ignorance or disrespect of the laws and guidance as displayed at the heart of Downing Street. Quitting would make a point about taking responsibility, but it wouldn't make it to anyone who matters - on the contrary, those on the fence about Boris would probably just it as further evidence of him being lucky at seeing off opponents.
    Yeah that is absolutely right. It would also mark a victory for Johnsons political style. He's just gone too far with his lying. It's got to the point where it is actually difficult to bring up children in this country, because it undermines everything they are taught by parents and schools.
    That reminds me of a chat which I had with an Akela ca. 1990. The Cub Scouts had (and maybe have) a requirement to make a scrapbook about the Royal Family as part of their basic skills badge. She was complaining the results for her Pack were verging on pornographic in then recent years ...
  • Options

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Step forward Wes

Indeed.

Such very historic tweets really shouldn't sink anyone, especially if there is not evidence of it being a pattern of behaviour and before they took up office.

To a degree that even counts towards Boris - not that he has not had any further examples of saying or doing the wrong things, but people do tend to rely on a few very historic examples as evidence of the worst allegations. Of course, he was usually in office at the time and acted poorly in a thousand other ways, but even so, people rely on the greatest hits a bit much.
  • Options

Sir Keir Starmer is planning for his own succession and has told candidates vying to replace him to be ready to fight for the leadership if he is forced to quit over claims that he broke Covid rules.

The Labour leader has told allies he wants plans in place to ensure that his work rebuilding the party will not be at risk if he is suddenly forced to resign. He has promised to quit if Durham police find he broke lockdown rules when he had beer and curry with staff after a day campaigning in the local elections on April 30 last year.

He told friends: “I will not let this party become a basket case again. I will not let our hard-won gains be squandered so we will need to be ready in the unlikely event that the worst comes to the worst.”

It is understood he has since met a number of members of his shadow cabinet with leadership ambitions and has urged them to put campaign teams in place.

Wes Streeting and Lisa Nandy have made no secret of their ambitions and are believed to be among the candidates to have received Starmer’s endorsement.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/keir-starmer-prepares-for-the-worst-as-challengers-eye-up-his-job-36fqdzbhm

While I’m not a Starmer fan, the contrast with Johnson in his willingness to put a greater good ahead of his own personal interest is palpable.

There is no contrast whatsoever, Starmer was prepared to stand shoulder to shoulder with Corbyn turning a blind eye to all the antisemitism in order to further his own personal interest.
    Not sure it will play out that way with the masses if Starmer does end up resigning.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

NEW:

If Sturgeon holds an unofficial referendum not agreed with the UK government unlike 2014 then Unionists will boycott it as in the unofficial Catalan independence referendum in 2017. The UK government like the Spanish government then would also ignore the result
    What you think on this issue has as much weight as what my cat thinks. And he at least is a Scottish resident.
  • Options

NEW:

Given this is would not be an election I can't work out if that's a yes or a no.
    I voted against AV and against the North East (of England) regional assembly. So if its an official vote, I vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

The UK government would tell Unionists to boycott, then completely ignore the result as the future of the Union is reserved to Westminster
    Not an argument at all.

You don't vote, you are assumed not to give a shit about the results.

Or else any government or administration could tell people that they'd assume that DNV was for the ruling party. You know, like your arithmetic on PB.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

NEW:

What you think on this issue has as much weight as what my cat thinks. And he at least is a Scottish resident.
    But has your cat ever threatened to send tanks to Scotland to crush Sturgeon's sedition?
  • Options
    Back in 1986 we had "Running Scared", which featured Running Up That Hill as its theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBeuBFE6yHU
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,073

NEW:

I voted against AV and against the North East (of England) regional assembly. So if its an official vote, I vote.
    Cool, glad to hear it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    P.s. it is absolutely tipping it down in Canada for the F1 qualifying. Get yer money on Vettel or Alonso
  • Options

HYUFD said:

NEW:

But has your cat ever threatened to send tanks to Scotland to crush Sturgeon's sedition?
    Cats is too intelligent.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

If only the same 40% amendment had been applied to the 2016 referendum!
  • Options

Not sure it will play out that way with the masses if Starmer does end up resigning.
    Plenty will take it as proof he did much worse than the PM.
    And he let Jimmy Savile off too.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

NEW:

If only the same 40% amendment had been applied to the 2016 referendum!
    There was a particular problem with the 1979 referendum. It assumed the dead all voted No. Not seen as a good democratic principle. Except byt HYUFD evidently.
This discussion has been closed.