Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Penny Mordaunt now favourite in next CON leader betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

I had no idea that this EU member country is acting much as UK but have not heard any condemnation of this scheme on here

Denmark's 'zero' refugees policy

As part of its 2019 election mandate, Denmark's ruling Social Democratic party said a core policy was to process asylum applications outside the European Union. The government has a "zero" refugees policy and started revoking residence permits from Syrian refugees last year.

In June 2021, legislation was passed allowing refugees to be sent to a country outside the EU to be processed and Denmark has had talks with countries in and outside the EU about a potential arrangement, potentially involving Tunisia and/or Ethiopia.

Last year, Denmark's immigration minister Mattias Tesfaye signed a three-year memorandum of understanding with Rwanda, which led to speculation that a processing facility would be opened in east Africa.

The Danish government has agreed to provide funding for any asylum system.

Mr Tesfaye has recently said Denmark is in talks with Rwanda to transfer asylum seekers to east Africa.

According to Zachary Whyte, Associate Professor at the Center for Advanced Migration Studies (AMIS) at the University of Copenhagen, who wrote in a recent blog post: "The Danish plans involve an initial screening of asylum seekers for vulnerability, before they are transferred to a third country, which could be Rwanda.

"Their asylum cases will be processed there. If they are recognised as refugees, they will be settled there. If not, their possible deportation will be the responsibility of that third country."

Mr Tesfaye said the current system is "unsustainable" and over 22,000 people have died trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea, adding the UK agreement is a "good step forward".

"We are in dialogue with Rwanda, and we have a good cooperation based on a broad partnership, but we do not have an agreement on transfer of asylum seekers," he added.

This is not politiskvæddemål.com.
    It was an exceptionally silly post by Big G.
    Why is is silly drawing attention to an EU member state following the same policy as UK

IshmaelZ said:

I had no idea that this EU member country is acting much as UK but have not heard any condemnation of this scheme on here

As part of its 2019 election mandate, Denmark's ruling Social Democratic party said a core policy was to process asylum applications outside the European Union. The government has a "zero" refugees policy and started revoking residence permits from Syrian refugees last year.

In June 2021, legislation was passed allowing refugees to be sent to a country outside the EU to be processed and Denmark has had talks with countries in and outside the EU about a potential arrangement, potentially involving Tunisia and/or Ethiopia.

Last year, Denmark's immigration minister Mattias Tesfaye signed a three-year memorandum of understanding with Rwanda, which led to speculation that a processing facility would be opened in east Africa.

Mr Tesfaye has recently said Denmark is in talks with Rwanda to transfer asylum seekers to east Africa.

According to Zachary Whyte, Associate Professor at the Center for Advanced Migration Studies (AMIS) at the University of Copenhagen, who wrote in a recent blog post: "The Danish plans involve an initial screening of asylum seekers for vulnerability, before they are transferred to a third country, which could be Rwanda.

"Their asylum cases will be processed there. If they are recognised as refugees, they will be settled there. If not, their possible deportation will be the responsibility of that third country."

Mr Tesfaye said the current system is "unsustainable" and over 22,000 people have died trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea, adding the UK agreement is a "good step forward".

"We are in dialogue with Rwanda, and we have a good cooperation based on a broad partnership, but we do not have an agreement on transfer of asylum seekers," he added.

Why is is silly drawing attention to an EU member state following the same policy as UK

Because we should morally assess actions on their actual merits, not who else does it, and because almost all of us vote in UK elections vs none of us in Danish
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

I love Liverpool's transfer policy spend what you earn and don't go into debt.

Gutted by this move, he's taken Origi's old squad number.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61742358

Good player. Does that mean Salah's going?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

IshmaelZ said:

Your silly line at the top rendered the whole thing a dunciad.
    I did not know Denmark had this policy but I assume now it has come to light to be consistent you condemn it as well
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    You know who else declared war on lefty/liberal lawyers and wanted to deport people to Africa?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793
    edited June 2022

🔺 Update: Boris Johnson has opened the door to leaving the European Convention on Human Rights to make it easier to remove illegal migrants from the UK

Oh goody

Link?
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rwanda-flights-come-up-with-your-own-plan-liz-truss-tells-church-critics-h3m0n7l3h

I find it difficult to describe the PM as anything other than wicked, and the UK as fucked.
    Which western countries do you think are going in the right direction?
    Few to none.

The liberal order which I took for granted growing up is under concerted attack.
    It's very depressing.
    It is under attack from the worst kinds of illiberalism from both the left and the right.
    But this is bad.
    Johnson will happily ditch the entire basis of the post war system of universal human rights, to stay in Downing Street for a few more months.
    As others have said, once the ECHR goes, then it is few steps to restoring capital punishment.
    A popular policy in the red wall.
    All the work done over the last 80 years to end the death penalty in the developing world .... trashed.

In the end, Boris Johnson exemplifies the ancient wisdom that it is easier to tear things down than it is to build them up.
    He's achieved nothing and just trashed everything.
    The EU. Ideas of economic competence. Human rights. Northern Ireland. The standing of politicians and civil servants. The truth and the value of it.
    There is absolutely nothing he has done as PM that he can point to that amounts to success.
    His regime is like a parasite destroying the host.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

🔺 Update: Boris Johnson has opened the door to leaving the European Convention on Human Rights to make it easier to remove illegal migrants from the UK

Oh goody

Link?
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rwanda-flights-come-up-with-your-own-plan-liz-truss-tells-church-critics-h3m0n7l3h

I find it difficult to describe the PM as anything other than wicked, and the UK as fucked.
    Few to none.

The liberal order which I took for granted growing up is under concerted attack.
    So the problem with the West is insufficient belief in liberalism?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I love Liverpool's transfer policy spend what you earn and don't go into debt.

Gutted by this move, he's taken Origi's old squad number.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61742358

Good player. Does that mean Salah's going?
    Mane's off to Bayern Munich this summer and Salah will leave for free next summer.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

IshmaelZ said:

I did not know Denmark had this policy but I assume now it has come to light to be consistent you condemn it as well
    Why should I?
    I don’t owe you any “condemnations”.
    As PB’s pearl-clutcher-in-chief, you have enough of your own.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

You know who else declared war on lefty/liberal lawyers and wanted to deport people to Africa?

Tony Blair?
  • Options

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

So the problem with the West is insufficient belief in liberalism?
    The problem, as I diagnose it, is that “late capitalism” is failing to deliver for much of the population, and that the “liberal project” is therefore under attack from both right and left.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Why should I?
    Double standards then - UK bad - Denmark EU - good
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,668
    edited June 2022

Oh goody

Link?

Is the Australian Labor Party wicked for having the same policy?
    It is news to me that the ALP wish to leave the ECHR.
    Australia has the same offshoring policy, implemented by the ALP and isn't a party to the ECHR etc.

The ECHR has never been representative of developed countries with the rule of law.

Quick Quiz, which country was a member of the ECHR on 31/12/2021?

A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

Which of those countries would you have said was "wicked" at the time?
  • Options

Tony Blair?
    Blair and Hitler, what a stellar group Boris Johnson has decided to join.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I think you are digging. I knew, and the policy fucking sucks whoever adopts it. It is not @Gardenwalker s job to condemn things and not yours to bully him about it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Though it does show that a harsh asylum policy to control our borders is perfectly compatible with EU, and even Schengen membership. All it takes is the triumph of the will.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uVrO5d6KU
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think you are digging. I knew, and the policy fucking sucks whoever adopts it. It is not @Gardenwalker s job to condemn things and not yours to bully him about it.
    Seems it has touched a nerve
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    It is under attack from the worst kinds of illiberalism from both the left and the right.
    But this is bad.
    Johnson will happily ditch the entire basis of the post war system of universal human rights, to stay in Downing Street for a few more months.
    As others have said, once the ECHR goes, then it is few steps to restoring capital punishment.
    All the work done over the last 80 years to end the death penalty in the developing world .... trashed.

In the end, Boris Johnson exemplifies the ancient wisdom that it is easier to tear things down than it is to build them up.
    The EU. Ideas of economic competence. Human rights. Northern Ireland. The standing of politicians and civil servants. The truth and the value of it.
    There is absolutely nothing he has done as PM that he can point to that amounts to success.
    Well, this, a gazillions times.
    I mean, one can presumably have a view on issues or inadequacies or defects with the ECHR.

But we know that’s not BJ’s schtick.

He’s quite prepared to hint and nudge at bonfiring basic protections to get another week’s favourable coverage in the Daily Mail.

He is going to hell.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,075

Is it true? Just two left?

You know what... I'm beginning to suspect that the overwhelming majority of these so-called "Asylum seekers" are actually...

Asylum seekers.
    I think they are all people looking for a better life.
    I can’t blame them.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,870
    I have LITERALLY just seen a large parade of smiling right-wing Armenian nationalists, many of them young female students, marching through Yerevan demanding another war with Azerbaijan

Who am I kidding? These are my people. I'm going NOWHERE
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

I mean, one can presumably have a view on issues or inadequacies or defects with the ECHR.

He’s quite prepared to hint and nudge at bonfiring basic protections to get another week’s coverage in the Daily Mail.
    I’d have gone with another week in office, but fundamentally yes.
  • Options

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

He’s quite prepared to hint and nudge at bonfiring basic protections to get another week’s coverage in the Daily Mail.
    I’d have gone with another week in office, but fundamentally yes.
    Yes I omitted the word “favourable”. Now edited in.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Always lay the favourite.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not really.
    I just noted your post was very silly.
    Not one of your best days.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’ve no idea where I’m going tomorrow. Literally no idea. Could do a roadtrip around Armenia. Go back to Georgia. Fly to Baku. Go to Uzbekistan. It’s like the dice man only with more Caucasus

Tell me, PB. Where shall i go?

Where haven’t you been before?
    I’ve not seen Armenia outside Yerevan. But I’ve not been to Uzbekistan either

Fuck it. Both!
    Kazakhstan might be an idea before Vlad moves on to his next target.
    What about the other Stans. Kyrgyzstan looked nice when Simon Reeve visited on his show a few years ago, Although the Osh valley area was suppose to be one to avoid.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Taz said:

Is it true? Just two left?

You know what... I'm beginning to suspect that the overwhelming majority of these so-called "Asylum seekers" are actually...

Asylum seekers.
    I think they are all people looking for a better life.
    I can’t blame them.
    No, the dream of making a better life for yourself ought to be a universal. As a country we do a lot overseas, but we are not getting this issue right at the moment.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’ve no idea where I’m going tomorrow. Literally no idea. Could do a roadtrip around Armenia. Go back to Georgia. Fly to Baku. Go to Uzbekistan. It’s like the dice man only with more Caucasus

Fuck it. Both!
    What about the other Stans. Kyrgyzstan looked nice when Simon Reeve visited on his show a few years ago, Although the Osh valley area was suppose to be one to avoid.
    The bit of Caspian coast in Iran is supposed to be rather lovely. It might do Leon's liver some good too to pop over the border.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,136
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Though it does show that a harsh asylum policy to control our borders is perfectly compatible with EU, and even Schengen membership. All it takes is the triumph of the will.
    It also shows how unrealistic real life is. There's no way "Brigitte" would sign off on such a policy.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Why should I?
    I actually have no idea of what Denmark is doing, and to be honest not a totally informed view on what the UK is doing.

My issue is with the obscene spectacle of the thing; and with Boris’s ECHR comments.

I know you are violently priapic at the idea that one of your rhetorical opponents has been caught out in a petty hypocrisy but I would argue that you are simply being a twit.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,979

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

Because its leaders failed to remember they are the servants not the masters
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

An irredeemably twattish card to play, always and everywhere.
  • Options
    Bairstow today only had 13 off his first 25 balls. That means he scored 123 off the next 66 balls. It took him 41 balls to get to 36.

So his last hundred took fifty balls. In a Test.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fuck it. Both!
    The bit of Caspian coast in Iran is supposed to be rather lovely. It might do Leon's liver some good too to pop over the border.
    Unfortunately, I have been told by locals exactly how and where to get booze anywhere in Iran
  • Options
    darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Excellent post!
  • Options
    Hurrah.

The European court of human rights has made a dramatic 11th-hour intervention into the government’s controversial plans to send asylum seekers to Rwanda that could ground the inaugural flight to the east African nation.

Lawyers for one of the asylum seekers due to fly this evening have made a successful emergency application to the ECHR after exhausting applications to UK courts.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/14/european-court-humam-right-makes-11th-hour-intervention-in-rwanda-asylum-seeker-plan
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

An irredeemably twattish card to play, always and everywhere.
    Actually it was from tonight's Sky news report
  • Options

Oh goody

Link?

Australia has the same offshoring policy, implemented by the ALP and isn't a party to the ECHR etc.

The ECHR has never been representative of developed countries with the rule of law.

A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

What is this, QI for hateful gammons?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    SKS fans please explain LAB 10& AHEAD IN RED WALL. SKS massive drag on Labour

Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    1h
    At this moment, which of the following individuals do those in the Red Wall think would be the better PM for the UK? (12-13 June)

Boris Johnson 37% (+2)
    Keir Starmer 37% (+1)
    Don't know 25% (-3)

Changes +/- 6 June.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Quiz Question 2
    Which of the following have the death penalty
    A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

I refer back to Quiz Question 1.
  • Options

Oh goody

Link?

A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

Love those emoji fails, now remedied but not before we saw

Why don't we assess the morality of policies according to their actual morality, rather than which country which has adopted it was voted Most Likely To Succeed at its leaving prom?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,668
    edited June 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Oh goody

Link?

A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

Why don't we assess the morality of policies according to their actual morality, rather than which country which has adopted it was voted Most Likely To Succeed at its leaving prom?
    OK, there is no morality to the ECHR.

Be in it, or leave it, it is morally null and void.
  • Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    You can't even make your travelogue a fraction as interesting Blanche Livermore manages. Even your insults are somehow drippy and wet.
  • Options

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Quiz Question 2
    Which of the following have the death penalty
    A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

I refer back to Quiz Question 1.
    Not How It Works
  • Options

Julius Caesar?
  • Options

Hurrah.

The European court of human rights has made a dramatic 11th-hour intervention into the government’s controversial plans to send asylum seekers to Rwanda that could ground the inaugural flight to the east African nation.

Lawyers for one of the asylum seekers due to fly this evening have made a successful emergency application to the ECHR after exhausting applications to UK courts.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/14/european-court-humam-right-makes-11th-hour-intervention-in-rwanda-asylum-seeker-plan

Boris is right. Quit the ECHR. And if it annoys liberal lawyers, and Remaoners, all the better

Onwards mit Der KulturKrieg!
  • Options

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

This doesn’t really mean much.
    Perhaps you’d care to expand.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Oh goody

Link?

A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

I am sure that sounds as if it is making a point, in your head
  • Options
    darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

The world in which we grew up is passing away before our eyes. Yet few are seeing it
  • Options

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

The pursuit of globalisation and ignoring those left behind in the UK. A willingness to condemn people to a life of benefits. All sorts of things.
  • Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

The world in which we grew up is passing away before our eyes. Yet few are seeing it
    And even fewer deign to comment.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,375

IshmaelZ said:

Why should I?
    Who has said "Denmark Good"? I've seen "Denmark- not really any of our business", but that's different.

"But they're doing it as well" is a crummy excuse when Scroggins Minor misbehaves in class, it's just as weak when nations use it about each other.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322

Some Democratic organizations are backing Trumpistas -- in Republican primaries:
    "All three have something else in common: They’re benefiting, either directly or indirectly, from a cluster of Democratic-associated groups spending millions of dollars in contested Republican primaries this month. In some cases these groups are attacking more mainstream Republicans and in others they are amplifying messages from the election-denying candidates.

The apparent bet these organizations are placing is that such far-right candidates, who hold polarizing views on various issues, would be easier to defeat in the November midterms when a broader slice of the electorate will be casting ballots."
    source($): https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/13/democrats-interference-primaries/

The organizations are probably correct that, in most general elections, Trumpistas will be easier to defeat than more rational Republicans -- but there is the obvious risk of backfire with such tactics.

That does strike me as unethical.
    It's a bit like the people here who join parties they disagree with so as to vote for unsuitable leaders. Quite apart from anything else, it's probably a waste of money - I'd rather a supporter gave us £20 than give £20 to the Tories to cunningly cast 1 vote for somebody unpopular. Spending millions on that sort of thing is just nuts.
  • Options

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

The pursuit of globalisation and ignoring those left behind in the UK. A willingness to condemn people to a life of benefits. All sorts of things.
    I think what you are saying is too broad to have much explanatory power. You could have levied such a criticism at any government, at any time, anywhere.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Test cricket's been speeding up since the Sixties. The nadir of dullness. This coincides with one day cricket and has continued apace. It wasn't always that slow though.
    Bradman scored extremely rapidly, without ever playing it in the air.
    And Gilbert Jessop was 1902.

Indeed the fastest first class hundred in county cricket was 1920 in 35 minutes by Percy George Herbert Fender who later had involvement in cooking up Bodyline with Douglas Jardine
    Which was the first use of video analysis. Bowling to a set plan and selection based on the plan, not the other way round. Completely revolutionary field placings (now illegal).
    The game hasn't changed that much.
    Yes, traditional leg theory converted to fast bowling. Fender had noted Bradman was very uncomfortable against Larwood on a 5th day pitch in the 1930 tour to short pitched bowling. Tbf i think most people on a 5th day uncovered pitch against one of our quickest ever bowlers might have baulked
    "With a prayer and a curse they prepare for the hearse,
    Undertakers look on with broad grins.
    Oh, they'd be a lot calmer in Ned Kelly's armour
    When Larwood the wrecker begins."

5 feet 7 I've just learned.
    As was Gilbert Jessop.
    Who had a less happy retirement, having been broiled alive:
    https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/gilbert-jessops-harrowing-experience-624176/amp/
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    I'm right about this though and you know it.
    What's he done that has worked out well?
    Absolutely nothing.
    He has been a complete disaster.
    Disaster after disaster after disaster.......
    He hasn't even been able to deal with the woke stuff.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Oh goody

Link?

A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

Fresh from his “Article 16? What Article 16” act, BartyB is trying to find new material.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    You can't even make your travelogue a fraction as interesting Blanche Livermore manages. Even your insults are somehow drippy and wet.
    "I know, I'm going to make a comment about Rwanda, because that will make me sound caring and aware, but because I am a pompous old cock with a tiny brain, who actually doesn't give a fuck about stupid Africans and their squitty little countries, I'm going to make a special effort and get the spelling wrong, like no one else on earth has ever done. I am going to call it RUANDA."
  • Options
    Hearing the Spaniards are looking to pass domestic legislation to supersede the Treaty of Utrecht.
  • Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Across the world the lights are going out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    "I know, I'm going to make a comment about Rwanda, because that will make me sound caring and aware, but because I am pompous old cock with a tiny brain, who actually doesn't give a fuck about stupid Africans and their squitty little countries, I'm going to make a special effort and get the spelling wrong, like no one else on earth has ever done. I am going to call it RUANDA."
    You misspelt the word “Remoaner” in your post upthread.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

I think what you are saying is too broad to have much explanatory power. You could have levied such a criticism at any government, at any time, anywhere.
    The Deplorables still have a vote. As was demonstrated in 2016 - on both sides of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I’m sure the gammons will be cheering the deportation of 4 whole immigrants.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

The Deplorables still have a vote. As was demonstrated in 2016 - on both sides of the Atlantic.
    What’s your point.
    And what does “still” imply here?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Oh goody

Link?

A Australia
    B New Zealand
    C Canada
    D Russia

Asking if its morally right or wrong to be in the ECHR is like asking if its morally right or wrong to prefer green or purple.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    "I know, I'm going to make a comment about Rwanda, because that will make me sound caring and aware, but because I am a pompous old cock with a tiny brain, who actually doesn't give a fuck about stupid Africans and their squitty little countries, I'm going to make a special effort and get the spelling wrong, like no one else on earth has ever done. I am going to call it RUANDA."
    I know you are looking outdo yourself on the twatometer, breaking your previous records, but have a read of this, before you show yourself as so thick, light refracts around you.

• Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    I'm right about this though and you know it.
    What's he done that has worked out well?
    Absolutely nothing.
    He has been a complete disaster.
    Disaster after disaster after disaster.......
    He hasn't even been able to deal with the woke stuff.

No. Your comment was absurd hyperbolic drivel. You make it sound like Britain is Germany on the eve of Kristellnacht

For fuck's sake, we can't even fly out, in extreme comfort, seven failed asylum seekers - SEVEN - to a foreign hotel, OMG a HOTEL how will they COPE without the entire nation collapsing in a fainting fit of guilt and liberal mime, and now a last minute intervention from the fucking European fucking Court of fucking Human fucking Rights

Whatever this is, this is not Mussolini in 1922
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    I've just realised (and, honestly, the revelation should have come much earlier) that I've got better things to do than to read Leon's tragic, drunken, and occasionally racist bile.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    Under Johnson and his supporting cast, we are becoming RUINEDA.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    That was the official name from 1916-1962.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruanda-Urundi
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I've just realised (and, honestly, the revelation should have come much earlier) that I've got better things to do than to read Leon's tragic, drunken, and occasionally racist bile.

As I said a few days ago, this site is losing some of its best posters because they can’t be arsed putting up with various comments.

It’s no so much, in my opinion, that Leon is tragic, drunken, and occasionally racist - although that’s brutally accurate - but simply that he is repeating himself.

We all are.
  • Options

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat
    I know you are looking outdo yourself on the twatometer, breaking your previous records, but have a read of this, before you show yourself as so thick, light refracts around you.

I'm going to take a wild leap in the dark and say that, given Roger's IQ is probably sub 85, he didn't spend hours researching the Deep Etymology of the term "Rwanda", he just had no fucking clue how to spell it, and, more piquantly, couldn't be arsed to check

I know. Radical!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited June 2022
    Labour could maybe repossess Leon’s empty home without getting involved in pesky human rights claims if we pulled out of the ECHR. One to think about
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Hearing the Spaniards are looking to pass domestic legislation to supersede the Treaty of Utrecht.

You mean they are going to give Ceuta and Melilla back to Morocco?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat

I'm going to take a wild leap in the dark and say that, given Roger's IQ is probably sub 85, he didn't spend hours researching the Deep Etymology of the term "Rwanda", he just had no fucking clue how to spell it, and, more piquantly, couldn't be arsed to check

I know. Radical!
    I know Roger's professional accomplishments, he's got an IQ higher than that.
  • Options

Labour could maybe repossess Leon’s empty home without getting involved in pesky human rights claims if we pulled out of the ECHR. One to think about

It’s probably been used for “modern slavery” so they could probably repossess it under extant legislation.
  • Options

‘Gammons’ 🤡🤡🤡🤡
  • Options

The overwhelming majority of the world copes just fine outside of the ECHR.

While Vladimir Putin spent decades ruling Russia inside it.

The ECHR is a bad joke. Why shouldn't we leave it?
  • Options

Farooq said:

As I said a few days ago, this site is losing some of its best posters because they can’t be arsed putting up with various comments.

It’s no so much, in my opinion, that Leon is tragic, drunken, and occasionally racist - although that’s brutally accurate - but simply that he is repeating himself.

We all are.
    It always goes a bit like this in the silly season, particularly a mid term silly season.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat

I know. Radical!
    Edit: lol.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    1-0.... to Hungary???
  • Options

You're talking even more shite than when you said Owen Paterson had no appellate process.
  • Options
    This is a good thread to read, it explains why migrants want to come to the U.K.

We have a need for people to fill jobs. So why not.

https://twitter.com/squeakinglyjen/status/1536725423039598593?s=21&t=OxkpR9X1nhF4vp6q0HBUCg
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

Hurrah.

And so we keep going round in circles.

The Government is useless, but in this particular respect would any future one do any better?

Nobody seems to have a clue how to create a workable system for dealing with those claiming asylum, in which the number of successful applicants permitted is anything other than "zero" or "everyone."
  • Options

1-0.... to Hungary???

Southgate Out, Southgate Out.
  • Options

1-0.... to Hungary???

The Magical Magyars
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Hurrah.

And so we keep going round in circles.

The Government is useless, but in this particular respect would any future one do any better?

Nobody seems to have a clue how to create a workable system for dealing with those claiming asylum, in which the number of successful applicants permitted is anything other than "zero" or "everyone."
    The alternative has been rehearsed on here, chiefly by @rcs1000.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,581

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat

I know. Radical!
    Commenting on other posters IQ is something @leon does regularly. I don't know why he does it on clearly bright people. It comes over very badly, although I can be criticized for doing so regularly for HYUFD so maybe I'm no better.
  • Options
    Taz said:

‘Gammons’ 🤡🤡🤡🤡
    Many subreddits have an explicit rule against low effort shitposting. We could learn from them.
  • Options

You're talking even more shite than when you said Owen Paterson had no appellate process.
    Give me one good reason we should be in an ECHR that Vladimir Putin's Russia was in until only a couple of months ago, rather than out of it like Australia, New Zealand and Canada?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

SKS fans please explain LAB 10& AHEAD IN RED WALL. SKS massive drag on Labour

Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    1h
    At this moment, which of the following individuals do those in the Red Wall think would be the better PM for the UK? (12-13 June)

Boris Johnson 37% (+2)
    Keir Starmer 37% (+1)
    Don't know 25% (-3)

Changes +/- 6 June.

That's not "in the country", that's in a set of seats that the Conservatives won last time by around ten percentage points.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat

I know. Radical!
    Commenting on other posters IQ is something @leon does regularly. I don't know why he does it on clearly bright people. It comes over very badly, although I can be criticized for doing so regularly for HYUFD so maybe I'm no better.
    People who obsess about IQ really don't understand it and I say that as someone who has a rather high IQ.
  • Options
    Taz said:

1-0.... to Hungary???

Southgate Out, Southgate Out.
    We need Stokes and McCullum in charge of the England football team

I'm kinda serious. England are suddenly a potent attacking Test side because.... they decided to attack. Have a go. Why not? Even if they lose it is better than repeated sad defeats without really trying

And wow, it turns out they have loads of scoring potential, it was there all along

England the football team is STUFFED with talent, it is one of the best teams in the world. Southgate the boring defensive fool is wasting it. He is stifling them. Just let rip and if we lose at least we have fun. This is dull
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

darkage said:

Is there any evidence that the Rwanda plan has any popular support?

Yes - a YouGov poll on Monday suggested 44% in favour, 40% against, 16% don't know.

Of course, much will depend on success or failure. That's a fairly even divide, and you can see it shifting rather a lot. My personal view is it is quite likely to be an expensive failure, but I accept that my opinion on the morality of it probably biases me.
    Put it this way.

The number of people leaving on an airplane today is in single figures. Perhaps low single figures (I heard seven this morning, I don't know now.)

The number of people arriving on small boats today was 250.

Now let's be clear- for those seven, it's a really really terrible thing to happen in their already terrible lives. The fact that my government is doing this makes me less proud to be British.

But the cold hard number is that 7 is 3 percent of 250. And a 97% chance of success is what would normally be described as a pretty sure thing. And the odds are better than that really, becuase there will be more boats tomorrow and the next day.

There are lots of ways of stopping the evil of the small boat trafficers. The trouble is that they all involve letting more people in (by making the legal routes available) or, worse than that, co-operating with France. And since the UK isn't prepared to do either of those things, and ideally many British people wouldn't admit anyone at all, the government is reduced to shouting and acting like a thug.
    Aeroplane.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Oh goody

Link?

Few to none.

It's very depressing.
    But this is bad.

Hyperventilating twat

I know. Radical!
    in this case, I genuinely think Roger is quite dim. My comments are sincere

Sorry, Rog
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    I don’t think that Denmark has actually sent anyone to Rwanda, or indeed any third country. They’ve passed a law enabling such a thing, but the again they’ve passed a whole lot of laws to prevent asylum seekers being granted asylum at all.

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2021/06/denmarks-immigrants-forced-out-government-policies
    … While still in opposition in 2018, Frederiksen called for a reform of Denmark’s asylum system, including creating reception centres outside Europe. ‘In the future it will not be possible for refugees to obtain asylum in Denmark,’ she declared, and was elected as prime minister on this platform in 2019…
  • Options
    Where do PBers stand on the question of ordering a whole bottle of wine when eating alone in a restaurant? My default is I will have a half bottle when it's on offer, but if not it's expensive and inconvenient to buy by the glass. But the waitress gave me a very disapproving, are you expecting someone else sort of look.
  • Options
    Ally_B1Ally_B1 Posts: 46

darkage said:

Is there any evidence that the Rwanda plan has any popular support?

Yes - a YouGov poll on Monday suggested 44% in favour, 40% against, 16% don't know.

Of course, much will depend on success or failure. That's a fairly even divide, and you can see it shifting rather a lot. My personal view is it is quite likely to be an expensive failure, but I accept that my opinion on the morality of it probably biases me.
    Put it this way.

The number of people leaving on an airplane today is in single figures. Perhaps low single figures (I heard seven this morning, I don't know now.)

The number of people arriving on small boats today was 250.

Now let's be clear- for those seven, it's a really really terrible thing to happen in their already terrible lives. The fact that my government is doing this makes me less proud to be British.

But the cold hard number is that 7 is 3 percent of 250. And a 97% chance of success is what would normally be described as a pretty sure thing. And the odds are better than that really, becuase there will be more boats tomorrow and the next day.

There are lots of ways of stopping the evil of the small boat trafficers. The trouble is that they all involve letting more people in (by making the legal routes available) or, worse than that, co-operating with France. And since the UK isn't prepared to do either of those things, and ideally many British people wouldn't admit anyone at all, the government is reduced to shouting and acting like a thug.
    Aeroplane.
    https://www.rd.com/article/why-airplane-also-spelled-aeroplane/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I don’t think that Denmark has actually sent anyone to Rwanda, or indeed any third country. They’ve passed a law enabling such a thing, but the again they’ve passed a whole lot of laws to prevent asylum seekers being granted asylum at all.

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2021/06/denmarks-immigrants-forced-out-government-policies
    … While still in opposition in 2018, Frederiksen called for a reform of Denmark’s asylum system, including creating reception centres outside Europe. ‘In the future it will not be possible for refugees to obtain asylum in Denmark,’ she declared, and was elected as prime minister on this platform in 2019…

That supposed liberal beacon, Denmark, has quite a few laws which would raise eyebrows in the UK

eg one law prevents ethnic ghettoes forming, there will be no Tower Hamlets in Copenhagen

"Denmark is facing fresh claims of racism after MPs changed the country’s controversial anti-ghetto law to allow Ukrainian refugees to move into social housing emptied of “non-westerners”.

"For three years, the government has sought to restrict immigrants from moving into what are described as disadvantaged neighbourhoods in an attempt to avoid so-called “parallel societies”."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/02/denmark-accused-racism-anti-ghetto-law-ukraine-refugees
  • Options

Give me one good reason we should be in an ECHR that Vladimir Putin's Russia was in until only a couple of months ago, rather than out of it like Australia, New Zealand and Canada?
    Given your earlier comments about abrograting international treaties the nuance and facts would be lost on you.
This discussion has been closed.