Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Opinium: Voters say Johnson should quit and go NOW – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,125
    TimS said:

I imagine a lot of Liverpool fans turned up late. We made the mistake of getting the ferry to France today. Huge queues and very long delays. Fans everywhere. We arrived at the port at 7am and just snuck on the 9.30 ferry by a whisker. The ferry was half empty as most passengers were still queuing when they closed check in.

This was Irish Ferries, who are disorganised at the best of times, but by far the cheapest option for crossing today so would have been the chosen carrier (and familiar to many Liverpudlians as they sail from there.) But there were big delays for all ferry companies. next ferry was 12.45 so you would get to Calais at 3.15. Then 3 hours drive to Paris if you’re lucky, before traffic jams, parking etc. Fans would have been pouring in at the last minute.

Happily for us we were heading down the almost empty Autoroutes to the Maconnais.

It’s a lot more nuanced than that

“At the Champions League final. Game is delayed because there are mobs of thieves stealing from spectators. Shameful. They stole half of our tickets. Mobs are trying to jump turnstiles. Us with 2 kids.”

This is a blue tick Real Madrid fan from Madrid

https://twitter.com/martinvars/status/1530623845417230336?s=21&t=PxPqOaD7dTMZoJiIWwXccQ
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    Applicant said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

If I were Johnson I'd make a leadership election happen right now, before the by-elections, to catch my opponents off-guard.

He doesn't have the power to call a leadership election.
    Could he not have loyalists send letters in to trigger one. Between MPs who love him and those that hate him, surely even Boris has the numbers.
    Yeah, I had thought about this when it came up a few months ago. But would it survive the Brady ring-round?
    Is the ring round a thing? Or is it just something he can do if he wants?
    PS. Doesn't he have E-mail?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,361

Fieldwork on this one 25th-27th, so spans the Sue Gray report and the Sunak package. My prediction was that after the Sunak package the lead would drop to 1-2, which seems to fit with the 3-point lead here. But I expect it'll float up to 5 or so as the Sunak package fades.

In other news, the Abba event is terrific - assuming one likes Abba, of course. Spectacular lighting, convincing avatars and the real people appearing at the end. Lots of dancing in the aisles! The chap behind us was so impressed by the dancing of the friend who I'd taken that he slipped her his card on the way out "in case you ever want a change of company". Impressive nerve...

I’m glad you liked the abba, but you are talking bullshit on the polls. You implied all polls not just the opinium who have never given labour a bigger lead than 4 under this methodology.

Not letting you get away with you implying Labours lead is now only 2 old chap.
    From memory, the point of the new Opinium methodology is to pre-correct for swingback- putting those who won't say they're voting for X but are likely to in the end in the right column now.

On that basis, and given that the Conservatives need to be about two points ahead of Labour for a bare majority, Lab +3 is fine for the reds.

Here's a question- on Thursday, Rishi promised to put £15 billion in people's pockets. That ought to be huge, but the Conservatives are already moving the agenda on- Ministerial Code, Suella on Trannies, now pounds and ounces. Politically, what's happened to message discipline? No point chucking that much cash if you don't bother mopping up the full credit for it.
    Do not underestimate the stop Rishi faction in Number 10 and around the Cabinet table.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Leon said:

TimS said:

I imagine a lot of Liverpool fans turned up late. We made the mistake of getting the ferry to France today. Huge queues and very long delays. Fans everywhere. We arrived at the port at 7am and just snuck on the 9.30 ferry by a whisker. The ferry was half empty as most passengers were still queuing when they closed check in.

This was Irish Ferries, who are disorganised at the best of times, but by far the cheapest option for crossing today so would have been the chosen carrier (and familiar to many Liverpudlians as they sail from there.) But there were big delays for all ferry companies. next ferry was 12.45 so you would get to Calais at 3.15. Then 3 hours drive to Paris if you’re lucky, before traffic jams, parking etc. Fans would have been pouring in at the last minute.

Happily for us we were heading down the almost empty Autoroutes to the Maconnais.

“At the Champions League final. Game is delayed because there are mobs of thieves stealing from spectators. Shameful. They stole half of our tickets. Mobs are trying to jump turnstiles. Us with 2 kids.”

https://twitter.com/martinvars/status/1530623845417230336?s=21&t=PxPqOaD7dTMZoJiIWwXccQ
    A bit like Wembley, you would think they had never held a big event or something.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Fieldwork on this one 25th-27th, so spans the Sue Gray report and the Sunak package. My prediction was that after the Sunak package the lead would drop to 1-2, which seems to fit with the 3-point lead here. But I expect it'll float up to 5 or so as the Sunak package fades.

In other news, the Abba event is terrific - assuming one likes Abba, of course. Spectacular lighting, convincing avatars and the real people appearing at the end. Lots of dancing in the aisles! The chap behind us was so impressed by the dancing of the friend who I'd taken that he slipped her his card on the way out "in case you ever want a change of company". Impressive nerve...

I’m glad you liked the abba, but you are talking bullshit on the polls. You implied all polls not just the opinium who have never given labour a bigger lead than 4 under this methodology.

Let's hope you're right!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

If I were Johnson I'd make a leadership election happen right now, before the by-elections, to catch my opponents off-guard.

Could he not have loyalists send letters in to trigger one. Between MPs who love him and those that hate him, surely even Boris has the numbers.
    Yeah, I had thought about this when it came up a few months ago. But would it survive the Brady ring-round?
    Hard to believe that's a formal part of the slightly esoteric process. Feels like it would be an abuse of the process for the bloke overseeing it to ring round to go 'Are you sure about this, mate?'

As for the idea loyalists could trigger one, that'd be very silly indeed I think. Sure, he'd probably win - heck, May won hers let's remember, even without loyalists triggering it (as far as we know) - but it'd just be too big a risk for a leader to engage in. It's one thing daring people to put up or shut up, it is quite another to put a gun in their hand.
  • Options
    One thing I haven't seen much comment on. Is that Sir Graham Brady himself is now in an under threat marginal. Indeed. The Council results suggest he's toast
    How would that affect things?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Crickey....Billy Bragg gone off the deep end. This is end of the thread....he gets trans, white supremacists and Nazis into it.

I’m in Hamburg atm In the pavements are small brass plaques bearing the names of Jews who lived in the building opposite the plaque who were murdered by the Nazis. That began with people deciding they could define someone by their biology alone. https://t.co/8Ih5wx5Bwb
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I hope TSE is okay; we know how much he loves the French.

If he gets in trouble he just needs to ask for help. What's the French for Mayday?
  • Options
    Goal. If this doesn't stand then it's a.farce.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,125

Leon said:

TimS said:

A bit like Wembley, you would think they had never held a big event or something.....
    Have you ever been to St Denis?

It’s quite an eye-opener. The most obviously lawless suburb I have ever seen in Western Europe

It’s actually something of a surprise this kind of crap hasn’t happened before

Anyway here in Tbilisi it’s 1am and I’;m going to sleep. I really don’t care who wins this ludicrous game, esp after such a spectacle

Bon nuit, PB!

• Options
    30 mins of time wasting ahead.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    Leon said:

TimS said:

I’m sure that’s true, I am just suggesting one of the contributing factors. They would have had plans to get to the stadium nice and early, take in the sites, get an early dinner. Instead thousands will have been getting there just in the nick of time.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

If he gets in trouble he just needs to ask for help. What's the French for Mayday?
    Cut to TSE: "Er, does anyone here speak English?"
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

Hard to believe that's a formal part of the slightly esoteric process. Feels like it would be an abuse of the process for the bloke overseeing it to ring round to go 'Are you sure about this, mate?'

As for the idea loyalists could trigger one, that'd be very silly indeed I think. Sure, he'd probably win - heck, May won hers let's remember, even without loyalists triggering it (as far as we know) - but it'd just be too big a risk for a leader to engage in. It's one thing daring people to put up or shut up, it is quite another to put a gun in their hand.
    Absolutely, I don't think for a second the Government would be stupid enough to invite what appears to be a pretty mutinous party to mutiny.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

try m'aider
  • Options
    Courtois is MOM so far.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

try m'aider
    Is that where it comes from?
    Christ I've learned some stuff on PB today.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

Courtois is MOM so far.

Have you seen the Paddy Power advert?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0PqBUDKYh9c&noapp=1
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    dixiedean said:

Courtois is MOM so far.

Several game changing saves.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Courtois is MOM so far.

Should I have?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

try m'aider
    Is that where it comes from?
    Christ I've learned some stuff on PB today.
    Red Dwarf taught me about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aPF-Rui09Y
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Courtois is MOM so far.

Should I have?

You have to sign in.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Courtois is MOM so far.

That's super.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Paddy Power / Flutter right shits as a company, but their marketing department realltly.know how to do an ad.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Courtois is MOM so far.

Should I have?

You have to sign in.
    That is hilarious, love the HP sauce in the paella. 🤣

The game itself, not so funny. Come on we need at least an equaliser.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

David Canzini is a shit Lynton Crosby tribute act.

Seriously, who thinks this stuff up? "The centre is slipping away to Starmer, so let's have some new policies that appeal only to the 30% who are still voting for us, and make us look like past-it one-hit wonders to the other 70%"?

Tonight's Yougov on imperial measurements

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1530593227736219649?t=q9-UWhijgBrc3QhYXk7ISQ&s=19
    Which says 23% "strongly support" and 20% "tend to support".

In other words: 23%, absolute tops, would even consider altering their vote for this thin gruel of a policy.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that this 23% are already voting Conservative.
    I'm a metric man myself - no idea what my weight in stones is. But I expect that *allowing* traders to do what they like will be mildly popular. The main danger is that it so obviously is just a token tossed to backbenchers, instead of attending to the main issues of the day - a bit like a harassed Labour leadership nationalising the biscuit tin industry.
  • Options
    Yet again. MOM
  • Options
    Wow what a save again by Courtois.

He's easily MoM so far, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Cortois isn't going to be beaten tonight is he...
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706

HYUFD said:

Just a 3% lead for Labour after the Gray report with Opinium is much better than expected. Boris and many Tory MPs will be relieved.

The 32% wanting Boris to stay PM almost exactly matches the 33% Conservative voteshare, so clearly those wanting him to go are virtually all Labour and LD voters

No Tory poll leads for 5 months and 22 days,,,
    Meaningless....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598

Seriously, who thinks this stuff up? "The centre is slipping away to Starmer, so let's have some new policies that appeal only to the 30% who are still voting for us, and make us look like past-it one-hit wonders to the other 70%"?

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1530593227736219649?t=q9-UWhijgBrc3QhYXk7ISQ&s=19

In other words: 23%, absolute tops, would even consider altering their vote for this thin gruel of a policy.

I'm a metric man myself - no idea what my weight in stones is. But I expect that *allowing* traders to do what they like will be mildly popular. The main danger is that it so obviously is just a token tossed to backbenchers, instead of attending to the main issues of the day - a bit like a harassed Labour leadership nationalising the biscuit tin industry.
    It just gives off a stale odour. The stale fag-end years of a tired government that’s been too long in power and has run out of ideas.

I’m surprised Labour haven’t taken this line much more. It worked very well in the 90s. The Tories have been in power for 12 years now. The trouble with being constantly outraged by them, rather than taking more of a tone of jaundiced contempt, is that the outrage keeps making them seem relevant and important. Divisive yes, but relevant. I’d prefer to see more along the lines of “he was the future once”.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178
    Totally pointless and a waste of time. Anyone under 40 will have no idea, and metric is just better. A far more logical system.
  • Options
    Hala Madrid!
    Fucking apology for that la!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    TimS said:

It just gives off a stale odour. The stale fag-end years of a tired government that’s been too long in power and has run out of ideas.

I’m surprised Labour haven’t taken this line much more. It worked very well in the 90s. The Tories have been in power for 12 years now. The trouble with being constantly outraged by them, rather than taking more of a tone of jaundiced contempt, is that the outrage keeps making them seem relevant and important. Divisive yes, but relevant. I’d prefer to see more along the lines of “he was the future once”.
    It isn't really to do with ideas, it was promised during Brexit campaign. Now you might argue that sums up Brexit and a waste of time, but it isn't a policy they just thought up now....it making good on a long promised change to the rules.

Of course its red meat for Brexit and timing politicial, but I think Labour would be silly to fall into elephant trap if really getting involved, as could be spun as look Labour at it again doing down Brexit supporters
  • Options
    Utterly remarkable given Liverpool's attacking prowess if in 3 Cup Finals this season we don't score a single goal in regular time.

24 shots so far vs Real's 3, but its only the 1 in the net that counts. 😕
  • Options

Totally pointless and a waste of time. Anyone under 40 will have no idea, and metric is just better. A far more logical system.

It's really interesting how this doesn't fall by usual Party lines.
  • Options

Utterly remarkable given Liverpool's attacking prowess if in 3 Cup Finals this season we don't score a single goal in regular time.

24 shots so far vs Real's 3, but its only the 1 in the net that counts. 😕

Were the Liverpool players not just tired after a long, hard season?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TBH, I doubt anybody is really fussed that strongly one way or another.
  • Options
    Courtois is almost as good as Pickford!
    He just needs to put one on the injury list for a year to be quite as effective.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

He can get his supporters to send in letters.
  • Options
    💔

Well done Courtois FC. 😢
  • Options
    14 times mate.
  • Options
    How did Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool all lose to such a shit team.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Phenomenal defensive performance.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TBH, I doubt anybody is really fussed that strongly one way or another.
    Nah. Who gives a toss?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274
    Labour = Real
    Tories = Liverpool

:lol:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    I would neither ask for a pound of apples nor a kilo of apples. If I want five apples, I ask for five apples. I have no idea how heavy a bag of five apples is.
  • Options
    A long journey home for TSE.
  • Options

Quite clearly they are not shit, though they did shithouse that trio...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    Real Madrid are usually worth backing as far as betting is concerned.
  • Options
    Carlo is an Evertonian.
  • Options

They aren't a shit team, perhaps?
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    Andy_JS said:

Real Madrid are usually worth backing as far as betting is concerned.

Standout bet was RM +2 goals at 1.34
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

I would neither ask for a pound of apples nor a kilo of apples. If I want five apples, I ask for five apples. I have no idea how heavy a bag of five apples is.

Would depend on the size of the apples!
  • Options

I am metric too, it is just better for work to calculate BMI etc.

I dont have a problem with both being legal units though.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

By Real Madrid standards they are very poor.

https://twitter.com/StatsBomb/status/1530665065522790404?t=HJ6vioCRhatgKvd_1dRlXg&s=19

Look at this first quarter..

https://twitter.com/StatsBomb/status/1530641029082271744?t=yBAMccBBjgmBRPKKstFx0A&s=19
  • Options

Applicant said:

They have got better as the tournament has gone on. They lost at home to FC Sherrif of Tirasopol in the group stage.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Labour = Real
    Tories = Liverpool

:lol:

Labour are the Reds though.

Tories soak up pressure from an opposition who can't score goals.
  • Options

Applicant said:

https://twitter.com/StatsBomb/status/1530665065522790404?t=HJ6vioCRhatgKvd_1dRlXg&s=19
    Can only beat what's in front of you
  • Options

Yes, I just don't see how it really moves anything. I do know my weight in stones, and would have to think about what it is in kilos, but it's one of those things that pushing it as some grand action will look overblown.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Spaniards 1 murdering pigs nil = RESULT
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

dixiedean said:

I'd be interested to see the polls in two weeks tbh.
    Strange as it may seem to us but most folk don't follow it very closely.
    Usually takes a fortnight to filter through.
    That's Gray Report and Sunak cash btw.
    June Gloom polling for Tories. Kantor and Opinium show their % on the slide. What can save them?
    Simple. Putting the Big Dog in a concrete overcoat and tipping him over the side of Westminster Bridge.

Not easy, and it might be temporary relief, but it is simple.
    Sounds like a FPN for pollution.
  • Options
    Meanwhile. It's completely pissed and lairy outside.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And density
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421
    Foxy said:

I think the issue has been that, if shops want to sell in imperial only, the weights and measures inspectors have to have another set of standards to check their scales.

So a bit more bureaucratic hassle, which costs someone down the line, for what benefit, beyond warm fuzzies?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Dammit, their goalie was man of the match, and they got one on the break. Well done Madrid.

Could be worse, could be in Paris getting tear gassed by their rozzers.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I always thought the weight of an average apple was about 1 Newton.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I think the issue has been that, if shops want to sell in imperial only, the weights and measures inspectors have to have another set of standards to check their scales.

So a bit more bureaucratic hassle, which costs someone down the line, for what benefit, beyond warm fuzzies?
    That is probably why it will never happen.
  • Options

Foxy said:

That doesn't seem to make much sense, surely they can convert from the metric of the standards they have to what an imperial scales should show?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

Just a 3% lead for Labour after the Gray report with Opinium is much better than expected. Boris and many Tory MPs will be relieved.

The 32% wanting Boris to stay PM almost exactly matches the 33% Conservative voteshare, so clearly those wanting him to go are virtually all Labour and LD voters

No Tory poll leads for 5 months and 22 days,,,
    Meaningless....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary
    Labour are doing okay on better PM and some best for economy polling than they have for a long time.
  • Options

On that note, rumours going around that one of the papers has polls for both byelections, done by NCPolitics mostly after Sue Gray
    Blue team are getting absolutely hammered in Wakefield (much much worse than YouGov's general election model says). Votes going all over the place. David H (formerly of this parish) apparently getting a few. Overall not even close
    But Tiverton is close and sliding towards the LDems
    Voters told the poll they’re livid about the photos, Tories getting theirs out to vote is going to be a big problem for them

Update: Apparently it's for one of the dailies, so not out tonight
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Foxy said:

That doesn't seem to make much sense, surely they can convert from the metric of the standards they have to what an imperial scales should show?
    It doesn't work like that. Weighing machines are checked by placing a standard 1kg mass on the scale. These standard masses are compared to the UK standard mass at the NPL. We don't have standard pounds anymore to check with as there is no UK standard pound anymore.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Issac or Olivia?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,580
    Well that was fun.
    Haven’t been to the theatre in a couple of years, for obvious reasons.
    I’ve just come out of the RSC’s final performance of Wars of the Roses.

The first part of their 3 into 2 Henry VI adaptation (‘Rebellion’) this afternoon was decidedly clunky, patchily acted and directed. This evening’s second part was much, much better.

If you get the chance, watch out for Arthur Hughes in the upcoming Richard III. He was mesmeric as Gloucester, and his last soliloquy in this…
    … Then, since the heavens have shaped my body so,
    Let hell make crook'd my mind to answer it.
    I have no brother, I am like no brother;
    And this word 'love,' which graybeards call divine,
    Be resident in men like one another
    And not in me: I am myself alone…

promises a great deal for that production.

Bloody long day in their uncomfortable seats, though.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

Foxy said:

It doesn't work like that. Weighing machines are checked by placing a standard 1kg mass on the scale. These standard masses are compared to the UK standard mass at the NPL. We don't have standard pounds anymore to check with as there is no UK standard pound anymore.
    Can you even buy weighing machines for commerce that are imperial only. Seems like a non-issue.

The only people who will take advantage of this are the odd market trader who wants to sell some in terms of £ / pound of produce or sweets (and even then)....but will still use a dual reading scale.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

Foxy said:

Surely they know that weighs 2.2lb?

(edit: brain freeze)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Issac or Olivia?
    It's better to have loved and lost than to have listened to an album by Olivia Newton John.
  • Options
    As we discussed earlier today.

U.S. leans toward sending rocket systems to Ukraine
    Kyiv has been asking for the weapons for months, but no final decision has been made.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/27/u-s-sending-rocket-systems-ukraine-00035698
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Kyiv has been asking for the weapons for months, but no final decision has been made.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/27/u-s-sending-rocket-systems-ukraine-00035698

That was yesterday.
    This afternoon:
    US to transfer long-range rocket systems to Ukraine amid Donbas struggle: reports
    https://thehill.com/policy/defense/3504730-us-to-transfer-long-range-rocket-systems-to-ukraine-amid-donbas-struggle-reports/
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Or indeed the water industry, as they were obsessed by in 2017-18. I never understood why they (well I think it was just McDonnell) were so obsessed by that one.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Issac or Olivia?
    It's better to have loved and lost than to have listened to an album by Olivia Newton John.
    It's an outright admission of dorkery that that is something you have done.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Do 'plotters' have a surprise for Boris Johnson?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10864185/Partygate-Secret-Tory-plot-topple-Boris-replace-Jeremy-Hunt.html

I see Mr Green was there, but definitely not Grant Shapps.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not sure what the downside would be - Russia's pissed off enough about what has been sent already after all.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,799
    edited May 2022
    Oh yippee finally a benefit of Brexit !

I can barely contain my excitement and I’m sure younger people in particular will agree that having been robbed of their EU freedom of movement rights being able to ask for something in pounds and ounces will surely make up for that .

It will be so exciting , perhaps they can have a national holiday to celebrate the return of imperial measurements !

This country is becoming a joke with a fxcking clown as PM !
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10864185/Partygate-Secret-Tory-plot-topple-Boris-replace-Jeremy-Hunt.html

Dunno but if that picture of Chris Loder MP is anything to go by we are at risk at replacing one morbidly obese pig-at-the-trough with another one.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited May 2022
    Fishing said:

Or indeed the water industry, as they were obsessed by in 2017-18. I never understood why they (well I think it was just McDonnell) were so obsessed by that one.
    Its not too hard to understand. Water is essential, the 'industry' a monopoly and the companies are run by shysters.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited May 2022

MPs don't get the final say on who the next Tory leader is and PM is if there is a successful VONC, Tory members do and remember last time they voted 66% Johnson 34% Hunt even before Johnson won a landslide general election victory.

Johnson I suspect would survive a VONC but even if he didn't there would be no coronation for Hunt, he would have to beat Sunak or Truss or Wallace or Patel or Raab first, one of whom would likely make the final 2.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Fishing said:

Its not to hard to understand. Water is essential, the 'industry' a monopoly and the companies are run by shysters.
    Polluting shysters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Not sure what the downside would be - Russia's pissed off enough about what has been sent already after all.
    I’d argue there isn’t and hasn’t been one for many weeks.
    Either we force Ukraine to capitulate by refusing them weapons, or we give them the tools they need to defeat the invasion.

A halfway house merely prolongs the conflict.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Just looks like some Boris allies dreaming up plots so they can then spin how indispensable Boris is.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,172
    ydoethur said:

Whitworth or BSF?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,229
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2022/may/27/is-it-all-over-for-the-underwired-bra

Can confirm that this is true. Bras have almost completely disappeared from the population of women in pubs. Yet another post-pandemic win.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,172

Just looks like some Boris allies dreaming up plots so they can then spin how indispensable Boris is.
    The country can happily go to the dogs. The Government's focus is simply ensuring Johnson remains in Downing Street.

What a bizarre state of affairs.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Issac or Olivia?
    It's an outright admission of dorkery that that is something you have done.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0684177/characters/nm0522686
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,977

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2022/may/27/is-it-all-over-for-the-underwired-bra

Can confirm that this is true. Bras have almost completely disappeared from the population of women in pubs. Yet another post-pandemic win.

I have noticed the bra-less look is increasing common here in Los Angeles.

• Options
    Ally_B1Ally_B1 Posts: 46
    kle4 said:

Yes, I just don't see how it really moves anything. I do know my weight in stones, and would have to think about what it is in kilos, but it's one of those things that pushing it as some grand action will look overblown.
    For your amusement, when I was doing my A levels at the start of the 70s one of them was Further Maths. It was taught by an old, retired, Deputy Headmaster who had been brought back to teach that subject. The text books were in imperial units and we were taught for almost two years in those units, feet per second, foot pounds, PSI and so on. A month before the exam he revealed that the exam would be in metric units but of course "the formulas are the same". We had a month to learn how to do the same questions using metric units and I managed to get a grade E, which was barely a pass in those days.
  • Options
    Ally_B1 said:

kle4 said:

For your amusement, when I was doing my A levels at the start of the 70s one of them was Further Maths. It was taught by an old, retired, Deputy Headmaster who had been brought back to teach that subject. The text books were in imperial units and we were taught for almost two years in those units, feet per second, foot pounds, PSI and so on. A month before the exam he revealed that the exam would be in metric units but of course "the formulas are the same". We had a month to learn how to do the same questions using metric units and I managed to get a grade E, which was barely a pass in those days.
    When I did my A-Level chemistry, one of my teachers was so lazy they didn't bother to check the syllabus updates every year, so over the course of a number of years obviously things changed. When it came to my year, we might as well have been taught for a totally different exam. This was only picked up a month before the exam when the teacher was ill and we had a stand-in who couldn't understand why we had learned a whole load of now irrelevant material (and didn't know some key things that were required).
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Stupid wordle.

Got it in 4 by random guess.
  • Options
    ping said:

Stupid wordle.

Got it in 4 by random guess.

Son of a gun
This discussion has been closed.