Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LDs select a retired Major to fight Tiverton & Honiton – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,677
    NYT ($) - Perdue Had Trump. In Georgia, Kemp Had Everything Else.
    David Perdue challenged Gov. Brian Kemp because of Donald Trump’s fury over his 2020 loss. Thoroughly outflanked and failing to gain traction, he is now staring down defeat.

In September 2021, former Senator David Perdue was hemming and hawing about running for governor of Georgia . . . .

“He said Trump called him all the time,” said Martha Zoller, a former aide to Mr. Perdue who now hosts a talk radio show in Gainesville, Ga. “He showed me on his phone these multiple recent calls and said they were from the president.”

Ms. Zoller and a legion of other former Perdue aides and advisers told the former senator that running was a bad idea. He listened to Mr. Trump instead.

Now, Mr. Perdue is staring down an epic defeat at the hands of Gov. Brian Kemp, the Republican whom Mr. Trump has blamed for his 2020 loss more than any other person. The Perdue campaign is ending the race low on cash, with no ads on television and a candidate described even by his supporters as lackluster and distracted.

“Perdue thought that Trump was a magic wand,” said Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker and a Trump ally, who was among Mr. Perdue’s highest-profile Georgia supporters. “In retrospect, it’s hard to understand David’s campaign, and it’s certainly not the campaign those of us who were for him expected.”

Mr. Perdue’s impending downfall in Tuesday’s primary for governor looms as the biggest electoral setback for Mr. Trump since his own defeat in the 2020 election. There is perhaps no contest in which the former president has done more to try to influence the outcome. Mr. Trump recruited, promoted and cleared the field for his ally, while assailing Mr. Kemp, recording television ads and giving $2.64 million to groups helping Mr. Perdue — by far the most he has ever invested in another politician.

Yet the race has exposed the limits of Mr. Trump’s sway, especially against entrenched Republican incumbents.

Mr. Perdue’s failures were not just of his own making. He was outflanked by a savvy incumbent in Mr. Kemp who exploited the powers of his office to cut off Mr. Perdue from allies . . . .

Mr. Kemp also appeared to punish those who crossed him . . . .

And he offered goodies to voters, including a gas-tax holiday that conveniently runs through the end of May, just past the primary.

On Thursday, as Mr. Perdue campaigned outside the Semper Fi Bar and Grille in Woodstock, Ga., he was not conjuring up a path to victory but haggling over the scope of his widely expected defeat, after a Fox News survey showed him down 32 percentage points.

“Hell no, I’m not down 30 points,” insisted Mr. Perdue, whose campaign did not respond to requests for comment for this article. “We may not win Tuesday,” he added, “but I guaran-damn-tee you we are not down 30 points.” . . . .
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

Scott_xP said:

REVEALED: Rishi Sunak's windfall tax plan would see energy companies get a lower rate if they agree to invest extra billions https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-the-tory-storm-over-the-windfall-tax-sunak-and-johnson-have-competing-visions-t6nh9pqp5

NEW: Boris Johnson is holding Sunak's windfall tax plan to ransom. The PM would only back it if some of the money is funnelled to new nuclear power and offshore windfarms. MY LONG READ on the cost of living conundrum https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-the-tory-storm-over-the-windfall-tax-sunak-and-johnson-have-competing-visions-t6nh9pqp5

DAGGERS DRAWN: No 10 official accuses the Treasury of making it "excruciatingly difficult" to fund new infrastructure. This is Boris Johnson's price for backing a windfall tax https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-the-tory-storm-over-the-windfall-tax-sunak-and-johnson-have-competing-visions-t6nh9pqp5

Why is Blojo so keen on nukes all of a sudden?

Mind you, the Windfall tax will play well with voters. Good on Rishi for thinking of it. Excellent work.
    At the Welsh conference yesterday he affirmed the nuclear reactor for Anglesey but also announced one for Trawsfynydd

BBC News - Trawsfynydd: Boris Johnson 'looks to build' nuclear reactor
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61524450
    But why? Big nukes take years before commissioning.

He seems to have a bee in his bonnet over nukes and is very skeptical of renewables by comparison.
    Apparently it is a small modular reactor via Rolls-Royce
    That haven't even been prototyped yet.

This has Garden Bridge and PPE procurement fiasos written all over it
    Your last line is interesting, as I think the comparisons are poor. The Garden Bridge was a massive waste of taxpayers' money, advantaging no-one except for the people who had been part of the dodgy procurement. It was unnecessary and (at least) borderline corrupt.

PPE procurement was a very different thing. We needed PPE desperately, at a time everyone else in the world needed it. We got the PPE we required, even if there was some waste. The question is whether we could have got the same amount of PPE in a timely manner without some waste.
    Of course we could, cheaper for sur eand not as much of the crap they bought. Funny how the VIP people bought 5 years supply of absolute crap , they were milking it for their chums but all got off with Bilions for nothing.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,254
    edited May 2022
    MrEd said:
    If you stop people voting tomorrow (i.e Sunday), of course people are going to have to vote today.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,005

Good evening from Stockton-on-Tees. I am once again staying in the town's Hampton by Hilton which is owned by the council and was something of a political controversy. The Tories and independents were vociferous that it would be a waste of money, built to help regenerate a town which also now has The Globe theatre (also owned by the council) which would similarly be a white elephant.

And yet here I am, in this very busy hotel, with a car park that is completely full. And a significant number of the guests are going to whatever the show is at The Globe tonight. Couple in front had come up from Norfolk. Have been here during the week as well - also busy.

What is it about Tories especially where investment is subsidy / communism and must be frowned upon?

EDIT - hotel has free car charging which is good! But I can't shift my now fully charged off the charge point as the car park is full. So tough titty anyone getting here late, I'm off for a pint(s) and a parmo.

There is a long tradition of subsidising things which are failures by government. And also a tradition of keeping the subsidised failures going to avoid the embarrassment of them actually being seen to fall down.

Would you like a bag of East Africa groundnuts, very cheap?
    Not to mention the odd peculiar Sherman tank (no, not that kind)?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/19667278230
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited May 2022

SNP policy on Trident, the pound, pensions etc are absolutely no different in quality from the Brexit arguments. It’s pure cakery.

Still, at least Scottish independence would deliver a tangible increase in sovereignty, as opposed to Brexit’s rather notional outcome.

No it wouldn't, Sturgeon wants to take Scotland straight back into the EU, simply swapping rule from London with rule from Brussels. At least Brexit was a vote for genuine independence, hence too some anti EU nationalists in Scotland like Sillars have switched from Yes to No
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

The youth wing of the SNP is now in favour of NATO membership.

https://twitter.com/ysinational/status/1528007124864974851

A lot of angry, very typical comments in reply, but occasionally even political youth wings can have do something sensible.
    Hilarious thread

This means that all of the SNP is totally committed to nuclear defence, and to the nuclear deterrent; so their opposition to Trident is reduced to “we don’t want them in Scotland but we do want them, we just want someone else to take the risk on our behalf, thanks, because we are proud free Scots and we are also afraid and selfish”

I suggest this is not sustainable; you can imagine the scorn of the USA, for a start.

Sturgeon is about 6 months away from saying Trident can stay in Scotland

Depends how her job hunting goes.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,124

Scott_xP said:

REVEALED: Rishi Sunak's windfall tax plan would see energy companies get a lower rate if they agree to invest extra billions https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-the-tory-storm-over-the-windfall-tax-sunak-and-johnson-have-competing-visions-t6nh9pqp5

NEW: Boris Johnson is holding Sunak's windfall tax plan to ransom. The PM would only back it if some of the money is funnelled to new nuclear power and offshore windfarms. MY LONG READ on the cost of living conundrum https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-the-tory-storm-over-the-windfall-tax-sunak-and-johnson-have-competing-visions-t6nh9pqp5

DAGGERS DRAWN: No 10 official accuses the Treasury of making it "excruciatingly difficult" to fund new infrastructure. This is Boris Johnson's price for backing a windfall tax https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-the-tory-storm-over-the-windfall-tax-sunak-and-johnson-have-competing-visions-t6nh9pqp5

Why is Blojo so keen on nukes all of a sudden?

Mind you, the Windfall tax will play well with voters. Good on Rishi for thinking of it. Excellent work.
    At the Welsh conference yesterday he affirmed the nuclear reactor for Anglesey but also announced one for Trawsfynydd

BBC News - Trawsfynydd: Boris Johnson 'looks to build' nuclear reactor
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61524450
    But why? Big nukes take years before commissioning.

He seems to have a bee in his bonnet over nukes and is very skeptical of renewables by comparison.
    Apparently it is a small modular reactor via Rolls-Royce
    That haven't even been prototyped yet.

This has Garden Bridge and PPE procurement fiasos written all over it
    Your last line is interesting, as I think the comparisons are poor. The Garden Bridge was a massive waste of taxpayers' money, advantaging no-one except for the people who had been part of the dodgy procurement. It was unnecessary and (at least) borderline corrupt.

PPE procurement was a very different thing. We needed PPE desperately, at a time everyone else in the world needed it. We got the PPE we required, even if there was some waste. The question is whether we could have got the same amount of PPE in a timely manner without some waste.
    Some waste? The parody posts are coming thick and fast this evening.
    Okay then, how much 'waste' was there compared to the full value of the contracts?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,660
    Carnyx said:

Good evening from Stockton-on-Tees. I am once again staying in the town's Hampton by Hilton which is owned by the council and was something of a political controversy. The Tories and independents were vociferous that it would be a waste of money, built to help regenerate a town which also now has The Globe theatre (also owned by the council) which would similarly be a white elephant.

And yet here I am, in this very busy hotel, with a car park that is completely full. And a significant number of the guests are going to whatever the show is at The Globe tonight. Couple in front had come up from Norfolk. Have been here during the week as well - also busy.

What is it about Tories especially where investment is subsidy / communism and must be frowned upon?

EDIT - hotel has free car charging which is good! But I can't shift my now fully charged off the charge point as the car park is full. So tough titty anyone getting here late, I'm off for a pint(s) and a parmo.

There is a long tradition of subsidising things which are failures by government. And also a tradition of keeping the subsidised failures going to avoid the embarrassment of them actually being seen to fall down.

Would you like a bag of East Africa groundnuts, very cheap?
    Not to mention the odd peculiar Sherman tank (no, not that kind)?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/19667278230
    That wasn't a particularly silly idea, as such things go.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    HYUFD said:

SNP policy on Trident, the pound, pensions etc are absolutely no different in quality from the Brexit arguments. It’s pure cakery.

Still, at least Scottish independence would deliver a tangible increase in sovereignty, as opposed to Brexit’s rather notional outcome.

No it wouldn't, Sturgeon wants to take Scotland straight back into the EU, simply swapping rule from London with rule from Brussels. At least Brexit was a vote for genuine independence, hence too some anti EU nationalists in Scotland like Sillars have switched from Yes to No
    If you are unable to identify the difference between London rule and Brussels rule, then you are far too ignorant to waste people’s time on here.

Conhome is perhaps better for you.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,527
    rcs1000 wrote: "(3) Nuclear is not particularly flexible. A plant is - basically - either on or off."

I don't know to what extent, but the Terrapower design Bill Gates (and the US government) are backing has some flexibility:
    In October 2020, the company was chosen by the United States Department of Energy as a recipient of a matching grant totaling between $400 million and $4 billion over the next 5 to 7 years for the cost of building a demonstration reactor of their "Natrium" design, which uses liquid sodium as a core coolant (this reduces the cost by having a non-pressurized primary loop). It then transfers that heat to molten salt which can be stored in tanks and used to generate steam for electricity production on demand, enabling the reactor to run continuously at constant power while allowing the electricity generation from the power station to be dispatchable.
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TerraPower

That flexibility would be particularly useful in Wyoming, which has, to put it mildly, high potential for wind power. (Here's a picture of a Wyoming wind gauge for those unfamiliar with the state: https://wyomingbreezes.blogspot.com/2018/09/wind-gauge.html
    When the anvil is straight out, it's an ordinary wind day; when it breaks lose, it's a strong wind day.

There is another advanced nuclear project planned for Washington state (with a different design), and still a third in Oregon. I imagine there are others underway, elsewhere in the US.

(The support for nuclear power in the US is generally quiet, given the superstitious fear so common here, and elsewhere. But it is a fact that Steven Chu and Ernest Moniz, who served as Energy Secretaries under Obama, are pro-nuclear.)
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,113
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Why is there a ridiculous competition to find a “suitable name” for English fizz, like ‘champagne” or “Prosecco”

The name is right there. ENGLISH FIZZ, It sounds posh, hedonistic and fun. Like a quickie in the Ha-ha. Just use that.

ENGLISH FIZZ

Because nobody except English people would ever use the term.
    Prosecco was hardly in everyone’s vocabulary 30 years ago.

Exactly, and the name really matters: it creates the brand

Prosecco is a little village near Trieste. It’s a genius name/brand for selling sparkling wine. It actually sounds effervescent. A party in three syllables

I once spent a few days with the sparkling wine makers of Trentino who loudly lamented that their rather pleasant sparkling wine (older and nobler than Prosecco, they claimed) was called “Trentodoc”

TRENTODOC

It sounds like an Adobe spreadsheet app, or maybe a regional water utility. It doesn’t make you want to offer random drunken blow jobs

English Fizz is excellent. Ooh, yah, another gless of English fizz!!
    You might feel so, but it's really just a description rather than a special designation that could gain a reputation, like Cava, Prosecco, Cremant, or of course Champagne. It also doesn't mean the liquid itself has to meet any standard of quality - a low quality carbonated English wine would still be 'English fizz', and there would be no way to prevent a winemaker labelling it as such.
    Prosecco is generally shit cheap bubbles (but an excellent brand), cava is not really a brand, champagne is an excellent brand m name (but disguises a fair amount of mediocre wine), cremant is thin and disappointing and is not a good brand name

English Fizz is an excellent name, to my mind, certainly when compared with the proposed alternatives: Bretagne, Albion and Merrett. FFS. Lol

Maybe we just need to find a joyously named village in Kent or Sussex
    I'd favour the more ridiculously named ones more commonly found in Dorset and Somerset.
    Presumably Cornwall, with all its zzzz’s, can furnish a solution.
    Polperro! Demelza! Lamorna! Ventongimps

Maybe not Ventongimps

Actually, Demelza is an excellent name. Just plant a few vines there (OK, it’s near Bodmin Moor but does anyone believe Prosecco came from Prosecco? No), then call it Demelza

A glass of Demelza, Like Madeira but sexier
    And a voice in my head,
    and a beard in my ear, saying
    Ave Zum Maderia, Ma Dear
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,849
    edited May 2022
    Looks like I missed the English wine global warming proxy culture war a couple of pages back.

No need for culture war on this, you just look at the last few decades’ stats for growing season average temperature and GDD across pretty much all wine regions globally, including England.

Eg this from Alistair Nesbitt who did the climate study for my vineyard. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ajgw.12215

Whether it was as warm in Roman times is kind of irrelevant to the discussion of the climate impact on yields today, but of course there is plenty of climate research on this too - and it is way warmer globally and probably warmer in NW Europe than then.

I have planted a couple of thousand Melon de Bourgogne vines, the first in England. I also have a few Albariño. Remains to be seen how they do, but 30 years ago that would have been totally unthinkable - it would have been Muller Thurgau and Huxelrebe.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TimS said:

Looks like I missed the English wine global warming proxy culture war a couple of pages back.

No need for culture war on this, you just look at the last few decades’ stats for growing season average temperature and GDD across pretty much all wine regions globally, including England.

Eg this from Alistair Nesbitt who did the climate study for my vineyard. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ajgw.12215

Whether it was as warm in Roman times is kind of irrelevant to the discussion of the climate impact on yields today, but of course there is plenty of climate research on this too - and it is way warmer globally and probably warmer in NW Europe than then.

I have planted a couple of thousand Melon de Bourgogne vines, the first in England. I also have a few Albariño. Remains to be seen how they do, but 30 years ago that would have been totally unthinkable - it would have been Muller Thurgau and Huxelrebe.

I keep reading serious articles saying Champagne will be too hot for Champagne in 25 years, the Douro is losing all its topsoil etc etc. Ill wind that blows no-one any good. Are you worried about your vines consistently meeting their chilling requirements though?
This discussion has been closed.