Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Potty punters continue to make Burnham favourite to succeed Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    It is hard to escape the feeling that British politics will have this hallucinatory quality, slightly hysterical and oblique to reality, for as long as discussion of the actual consequences of Brexit has to be framed in terms of the imagined purpose of Brexit.
    https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1524004457855524865

@alexmassie @rafaelbehr I think until someone can say "trade barriers are barriers to trade" without being hounded for an apology.
    https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1524015924302471169
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

Of the non Burnham faces above, Cooper and Phillipson could easily lose their seats next time out, thus would spend most of a campaign on their own seat. Rayner or Reeves are the safest seats, Reeves especially. Nandy and Streeting have about 10% to play with. Phillipson is 8% ahead but there is 15% BXP to target and Sunderland is heading Torywards imo. Cooper is now a hyper marginal.
    Safety first, Streeting, Nandy, the Ginger Menace or boring old Reeves for the win in any vacancy

Cooper is in a hyper-marginal because a lot her constituents really don't like her.
    I thought you were in Devon? Do you enough people in and around Pontefract that you can surmise that a lot of them don't like her? Kudos if so.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Is this a piss take ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1524120716148363271
    Hungarian President Viktor Orban asserted that parts of the Adriatic Sea coast had been “taken” from Hungary.

He said Hungary would not have problems with🇷🇺oil embargo if the sea which is now the Croatian coast had not been "taken."
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

Let’s try to be fair to Brexiters.

The gamble is that there are potential benefits to flexibility that will come to outweigh the existing benefits of collaboration.

Said benefits - when and if they kick in - need to compensate for the near-term deadweight of Brexit on the economy.

A) it’s not about the economics

B) current benefits are not the same as future benefits
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    For @Carnyx

- “In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?” (net)

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

(YouGov/The Times; Sample Size: 1707; Fieldwork: 5-6 May 2022)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    nico679 said:

The problem with Brexit in its current state is this government has made a conscious decision to not even give a few scraps to the 48%.

Had Remain won I wouldn’t have supported an absolutist approach which ignored concerns of Leavers .

TBF, you might not have done but many remainers would have. They would have said, 'we won, matter settled.'

The difference is, it would have been secretly sorry closet Leavers in charge instead of hyperly active official Remainers. Not hard to imagine they would have used a tight Remain win to demand more concessions.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I posted this near the end of the last thread; since I got no response, I thought I'd try again:

Okay, so Brexit is done. I'm putting my 'bloke on the Clapham omnibus who voted for Brexit' hat on and asking - what difference has it made to my life? I'm struggling. I'm aware of some downsides, though they don't affect me much. But what are the upsides? Okay, I hear that wages have risen in some, but not that many, low-skilled sectors, but that may be as much due to Covid as Brexit, and anyway I don't work in a low-skilled sector.

So a serious, genuine question. How has Brexit benefitted me, who voted for it? How has my government used these new freedoms/sovereignty to improve my life? If it was such a good idea, people ought to be able to answer this by now, with specific, tangible examples that affect me - but I'm struggling. Help.

Changing rules on gene editing to allow for regulation based on science rather than bullshit
    But fucking up interrnational cooperation and student flow in science and academia.
    Only with Europe and only because the EU cut off everyone’s nose to spite their face
    If you cancel a club sub the clud does tend to shut off the benefits of membership.
    But not to other non members
    The UK is now a third country . Thats the result of the vote , not sure what people expected to happen. The rules for third countries are the same .
    I guess that is why the EU tried to charge us a penal rate (more than any other third country) to join Erasmus. And why we went to set up our own organisation with Switzerland. Net loss to the EU, IMV, given our scientific capabilities and network.
  • Options
    Ukraine responds to Macron’s ‘decades’ comments.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1524116898387963904
    Ukraine expects membership candidate status by the EU in June. “Then we will sit down with you and resolve the rest of the issues. How. When, and so forth.” “If we don’t get the candidate status, it means that Europe is trying to trick us,"—Ukrainian FM
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    nico679 said:

The problem with Brexit in its current state is this government has made a conscious decision to not even give a few scraps to the 48%.

Had Remain won I wouldn’t have supported an absolutist approach which ignored concerns of Leavers .

Well the 48% had the chance to compromise but chose not to so it works both ways.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Of the non Burnham faces above, Cooper and Phillipson could easily lose their seats next time out, thus would spend most of a campaign on their own seat. Rayner or Reeves are the safest seats, Reeves especially. Nandy and Streeting have about 10% to play with. Phillipson is 8% ahead but there is 15% BXP to target and Sunderland is heading Torywards imo. Cooper is now a hyper marginal.
    Safety first, Streeting, Nandy, the Ginger Menace or boring old Reeves for the win in any vacancy

Cooper is in a hyper-marginal because a lot her constituents really don't like her.
    She's out next time and I fancy at least one con gain in Sunderland and as Phillipsons seat often declares first what an amusing start that would be
  • Options

I posted this near the end of the last thread; since I got no response, I thought I'd try again:

Okay, so Brexit is done. I'm putting my 'bloke on the Clapham omnibus who voted for Brexit' hat on and asking - what difference has it made to my life? I'm struggling. I'm aware of some downsides, though they don't affect me much. But what are the upsides? Okay, I hear that wages have risen in some, but not that many, low-skilled sectors, but that may be as much due to Covid as Brexit, and anyway I don't work in a low-skilled sector.

So a serious, genuine question. How has Brexit benefitted me, who voted for it? How has my government used these new freedoms/sovereignty to improve my life? If it was such a good idea, people ought to be able to answer this by now, with specific, tangible examples that affect me - but I'm struggling. Help.

Changing rules on gene editing to allow for regulation based on science rather than bullshit
    Yeah, the Clapham omnibus blokes are huge aficionados of gene editing. Lord almighty, was that really the best you could manage? Really?
    Cheaper food and more income for the UK.

But that was in the newspaper I read on Saturday as I had to go and see some people about some stuff
    Cheaper food? More income? A newspaper you read?

Please don’t tell that to the Clapham omnibus blokes in person. A punch in the mouth often offends.
    The Times, yes. Still has a printed copy.

And yea, improvements in agricultural productivity driven by science will be beneficial to the country as a whole
  • Options

Yeah, the Clapham omnibus blokes are huge aficionados of gene editing. Lord almighty, was that really the best you could manage? Really?

But that was in the newspaper I read on Saturday as I had to go and see some people about some stuff
    Food is more expensive and we’re earning less (relative to our peers).

Is it too late to get your money back for this “newspaper”?
    Scientific research takes longer than 3 days. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Usually true, although I have one paper where the three compounds were synthesised, crystallised within an hour or two, followed by about 6 hours of x-ray to get the 3D structures. All told no more than 24 h actual science. Writing the paper took far longer.
    I’m thinking about the U MO/Genus collaborate of PRRSv swine which the EU had banned but which will now be permitted. And don’t get me talking about piglet castration in Germany
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

But fucking up interrnational cooperation and student flow in science and academia.
    Only with Europe and only because the EU cut off everyone’s nose to spite their face
    If you cancel a club sub the clud does tend to shut off the benefits of membership.
    sorry, i thought we'd took back control...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

Hungarian President Viktor Orban asserted that parts of the Adriatic Sea coast had been “taken” from Hungary.

He said Hungary would not have problems with🇷🇺oil embargo if the sea which is now the Croatian coast had not been "taken."

No - they had done Adriatic ports allocated to Hungary when they were part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    nico679 said:

Yes, I agree.
    Personally, while I started out as a soft Brexiteer, my position has hardened over time.
    But I wish, I wish we were better at consensus building. I think I would be happy with a position I was less happy with(?) if it could be more broadly supported. Because I am most of all a democrat - albeit I recognise that our democracy interprets the wishes of the polity clunkily.
    I'm fairly sure before the poison and identity politics crept into the debate, if you drew a bell curve on how much Europe people wanted (more? roughly what we had? a bit less? a lot less? none at all?) that there would be a broad consensus around 'less'. It was a failure of politicians over the last 30 years that they blindly failed to reflect this wish. And that is what has landed us where we are now.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022
    Elon Musk would reverse Donald Trump's Twitter ban
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61399483

What will be missed in the predictable meltdown incoming, is the much more interesting investor deck, Musk plan is to triple the user base, move away from dependence on advertising revenue and overall 5x increase in revenue in the next 5 years. That is quite some goals he has set himself.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

For @Carnyx

- “In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?” (net)

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Thanks - that is a nice distinction in the questions, good for them.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

nico679 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

The UK is now a third country . Thats the result of the vote , not sure what people expected to happen. The rules for third countries are the same .
    I guess that is why the EU tried to charge us a penal rate (more than any other third country) to join Erasmus. And why we went to set up our own organisation with Switzerland. Net loss to the EU, IMV, given our scientific capabilities and network.
    We generally got more money from the EU pot than we put in in science. This has not really been covered yet. I’ve had several excellent students from Europe for projects, usually via Erasmus, and they have been great. I hope I can still continue to attract their like to my lab.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

We did. They said we will charge you a penal rate. We said F off.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-students-lose-participation-in-eu-erasmus-university-exchange-scheme/amp/
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The problem with Brexit is the 52% got fuck all either.

More expensive food.

More immigrants.

More red tape.

It's almost like the whole thing was a crock of shit all along...
  • Options
    The SNP’s promises to deliver a Scottish exchange programme which will replace the Erasmus scheme have been ‘shelved indefinitely’

https://news.stv.tv/politics/scottish-erasmus-replacement-scheme-proposed-by-snp-shelved-indefinitely-lib-dems-say
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

Usually true, although I have one paper where the three compounds were synthesised, crystallised within an hour or two, followed by about 6 hours of x-ray to get the 3D structures. All told no more than 24 h actual science. Writing the paper took far longer.
    I’m thinking about the U MO/Genus collaborate of PRRSv swine which the EU had banned but which will now be permitted. And don’t get me talking about piglet castration in Germany
    Pretty sure everyone will be reasonably content if you don’t get started talking about piglet castration in Germany.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2022
    Taz said:

nico679 said:

Well the 48% had the chance to compromise but chose not to so it works both ways.
    This is not true at all. As extensively discussed earlier, Theresa May removed the chance for compromise or accommodation in late 2016.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

So anti-Brexit rhetoric largely belong Scots and Londoners.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590

boulay said:

Maybe the man on the Clapham Omnibus is not part of the political/media bubble and realises that change takes time to derive benefits.

He might have changed career or moved jobs and realised that you don’t suddenly start shooting through the company immediately.

He might have worked for a company who got bought out and it took a few years for the changes and benefits to be clear.

The problem is that everyone on both sides of the Brexit debate seems to think that any benefits etc would or should be immediately apparent.

The bad side will inevitably hit first - Brexit is a long project and to think it would all be unicorns from day one is dumb.

If Brexit was good it won’t really be evident for maybe a generation - especially as the EU evolves and many who might have been anti-Brexit might find themselves thinking they are glad we de-coupled. It could of course be a shitshow and we end up as a failed state…..
    Well, I voted for Brexit six years ago and fuck all has improved for me since then. Quite the opposite. And now you're telling me to be patient. Stuff that.

boulay said:

Maybe the man on the Clapham Omnibus is not part of the political/media bubble and realises that change takes time to derive benefits.

He might have changed career or moved jobs and realised that you don’t suddenly start shooting through the company immediately.

He might have worked for a company who got bought out and it took a few years for the changes and benefits to be clear.

The problem is that everyone on both sides of the Brexit debate seems to think that any benefits etc would or should be immediately apparent.

The bad side will inevitably hit first - Brexit is a long project and to think it would all be unicorns from day one is dumb.

If Brexit was good it won’t really be evident for maybe a generation - especially as the EU evolves and many who might have been anti-Brexit might find themselves thinking they are glad we de-coupled. It could of course be a shitshow and we end up as a failed state…..
    Well, I voted for Brexit six years ago and fuck all has improved for me since then. Quite the opposite. And now you're telling me to be patient. Stuff that.
    The Leave/Remain demographics really don't help us here.

The people who voted for Brexit most enthusiastically are those most separated from the working world, because they're retired.

The people least keen on Brexit are those who have to make it work and young people who are a bit idealistic and probably most footloose. And they've now been handed this brilliant gift that, in many cases, they don't particularly want and is going to be hard work to look after. It's as if your maiden aunt has given you a pet gnu and expected you to be grateful. And there's not much possibility of returning it to the gnu shop.

I'm not going to predict how this ends, or when. But if the plan is that things will be rubbish for a bit but my children might see the benefit shortly before they retire... that's going to be a drag on British politics for decades.
    Not just a gnu.

A racist gnu, who shits on the carpet and tries to blame it on the Romanian housekeeper.
    Stop complaining.

That gnu dung will be valuable and affordable fuel to keep our homes warm this winter.
    Please - perspicacious PBers prefer pet ptarmigan poop!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-students-lose-participation-in-eu-erasmus-university-exchange-scheme/amp/
    have you ever heard of the term "Pyrrhic Victory"?

• Options

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

No: people resident there. But also young people resident elsewhere, I presume.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Did you get your vaccine? Brexit benefitted you from not being locked into some half-arsed Euro arrangement. It quite possibly saved the life of a friend or family member.

Our being outside was also a spur to the EU to get their shit together. Having Brexit Britain jabbed up whilst the EU's citizens died created a political imperative to shift their arses.

If the Referendum had locked us into ever closer union, I strongly suspect the UK would have been closed down from helping Ukraine to the level we have. We would have been trapped into some EU-wide foot-dragging whilst Kyiv fell.

Plus - Nigel Farage is out of a job. His soap box taken away. Surely that counts for something?
    1. I'd have got my vaccine if we'd still been in the EU.

2. Well done! Getting rid of Nigel Farage is a definite plus plus plus. Whether Brexit is worth it...
    I think you need to go back and re-remember how the EU tried to fuck us over on vaccines.... Because we were making them look bad.

Macron commenting on the quality of our vaccine ring any bells?
    Yes, I know all that. But folk in the EU got vaccinated, albeit a bit later, and the Covid death rate in W. Europe is pretty much on a par with ours.

It's telling that you and other Brexit supporters are struggling to find something about Brexit that has improved the day-to-day life of the average UK citizen. I'm not talking about Ukraine, gene editing or any of that stuff - just my everyday life, which I feel has got worse since 2016, not better. I was promised cheaper food, fewer immigrants etc. etc. But food is much more expensive and there's millions of "illegals crossing the Channel" (TM Mail, Farage). So I ask again - am I any better off? (And I'm not really willing to wait JRM's 50 years to find out).
    Well yes, they got vaccinated, but opened up months after we did. For which there was both an economic vost and a quality of life cost.

I don't think you will need to wait 50 years. But I think you will need to wait at least five. Those of us who believe in econimic benefits derive them from moving away from Europe's regulatory embrace and the hope that we will be able to engender a more dynamic economy. But that doesn't happen overnight, and may not happen at all if our government doesn't, actually, choose to do that.
    There is also the benefit of not having to pick up the pieces should the Euro collapse. Hopefully that's a benefit which won't be realised. But I'd give it a significantly greater than zero chance.
    Brexit is no guarantee of success. But to me, Remain was a guarantee of failure.
    (In retrospect I have overstated slightly because it sounded neat rhetorically.)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

No - they had done Adriatic ports allocated to Hungary when they were part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire.
    The world would be a much happier place if countries (and leaders) stopped thinking that the extent of 'their' country stretches back to how it was at some advantageous point of time, and instead concentrated on making the best of what they have got.

I believe Poland, for instance, has said it has no claims over territory now in other countries that were once Polish?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

159 countries worldwide, including the US, are part of the Turing Scheme
  • Options

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

And people under 50.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Yes, increasingly like pockets of the Home Counties and shire towns, which is beginning to worry Tory councillors and MP's.
  • Options

Pretty sure everyone will be reasonably content if you don’t get started talking about piglet castration in Germany.
    Didn't know that the EU was confined to Germany. Indeed that's rather an argument against the Brexiter myth of total control ... unelected surrender of national sovereignty ...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

Croatia was part of Hungary, under the Hapsburgs, as was Slovakia and part of modern Serbia and Romania. Despite the Geography, Galicia (now West Ukraine) was in the Austrian half.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Yes, increasingly like pockets of the Home Counties and Shire towns, which is beginning to worry Tory councillors.
    Oh, really? What sort of places?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

No, this is Greater Hungarian Nationalism.

In brief - when the Austro-Hungarian empire ended, Hungary didn’t get every single place with Hungarians in it. Because people weren’t neatly divided at lines on maps. Very mixed populations.

If you take all the places that had Hungarians and fill in the gaps to create a contiguous country, you get a fucking huge Hungary.

Orban plays the game of “I’m not a Greater Hungarian Nationalist, but I like the music, and some of the band are my mates.”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Given Burnham has suggested he wants to be an MP again at the next general election then if Starmer survives until then and loses, Burnham certainly would be a contender.

However for the moment if say Starmer is fined and has to resign then I would make the second favourite, Shadow Health Secretary Wes Streeting, the favourite to succeed him
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

The world would be a much happier place if countries (and leaders) stopped thinking that the extent of 'their' country stretches back to how it was at some advantageous point of time, and instead concentrated on making the best of what they have got.

I believe Poland, for instance, has said it has no claims over territory now in other countries that were once Polish?
    It could be worse. Germany could be blaming their dependence on Russian energy on losing the coalfields of Upper Silesia.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

The strangest thing about Rod Crosby was he had little time for subjective guessing about elections based on feeling or intuition. His predictions on elections were based on careful research of academic literature to build models which took data from polling and elections.

His views on the Holocaust shall we say were not based in the facts and evidence.

Aren't we all like that at times? However analytical and evidence-based someone may be, there will be some topics where they have *belief* that no amount of facts will shift . Although thankfully for most of us it is not Holocaust denial...
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653

We got some COVID work to preprint stage in under a fortnight.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

and?..
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

nico679 said:

More expensive food.

More immigrants.

More red tape.

EU immigration free movement was replaced by a points system and they have regained sovereignty from the EU and ECJ as they voted for
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

If that’s it, then surely you mean yes ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

Magyar irredentism; lands under Crown of St Stephan included Rijeka aka Fiume which was sole "Hungarian" seaport before 1918.

Addendum - So, yes, piss taking. Versus Croatia. Even more so IF Orban is also including Dalmatia, which also under thumb of Hungarian half of the Dual Monarchy.
  • Options
    Burnham drifting, now 6.2
    Reeves shortening, now 9.2
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Didn't know that the EU was confined to Germany. Indeed that's rather an argument against the Brexiter myth of total control ... unelected surrender of national sovereignty ...
    Germany just vetoed a pain relief and wound healing product for use in piglet castration. Every other EU country except Ireland supported it but weren’t willing to fight Germany for it
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Yes, increasingly like pockets of the Home Counties and Shire towns, which is beginning to worry Tory councillors.
    Parts of Surrey and Oxfordshire, as far as I can gather, and just to begin with.

Much further out, there's also some signs of a Lib Dem revival in the old, traditionally Nonconformist West Country strongholds like Somerset.

Then you also have somewhat different ports that are beginning to worry the Tories on this front, like Plymouth and Portsmouth.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

and?..
    Not a Pyrrhic victory. From our perspective anyway. Turing offers more opportunities to our students and is cheaper than Erasmus
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Parts of Surrey and Oxfordshire just to begin with, as far as I gather.

Much further out, there's also some signs of a Lib Dem revival in the old, traditionally Nonconformist West Country strongholds like Somerset.

Then you also have somewhat different ports that are beginning to worry the Tories on this front, like Plymouth and Portsmouth.
    Thanks - that's interesting re Pompey and Guz in particular.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

The Polish thing is interesting - even the ultra-nationalists accept the borders (mostly)

The reason for this was a series of influential thinkers on the nationalist side of things, who made a case that the only way for Poland to get stronger and safer in the future was by allying with the neighbours - Ukraine, Baltics etc.

That previous attacks, subjugations etc of Poland we’re possible because of hostility with neighbours. Particularly over territory.

By accepting the current borders, they would end any hostility between them, making mutual defence a common interest.

The contrast with the Russian ultra-nationalist position is intriguing.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197
    HYUFD said:

Given Burnham has suggested he wants to be an MP again at the next general election then if Starmer survives until then and loses, Burnham certainly would be a contender.

However for the moment if say Starmer is fined and has to resign then I would make the second favourite, Shadow Health Secretary Wes Streeting, the favourite to succeed him

Indeed Streeting is the only one out of all those shown in the header who has any chance of becoming PM. I think that he becomes leader after LAB lose in 2024 then he may win GE in 2028/2029.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    Andy_JS said:

The strangest thing about Rod Crosby was he had little time for subjective guessing about elections based on feeling or intuition. His predictions on elections were based on careful research of academic literature to build models which took data from polling and elections.

His views on the Holocaust shall we say were not based in the facts and evidence.

Is it true that he's no longer with us?
    There are two ways of reading that question: (1) has he reappeared on PB under a different username (like @Andy_JS)?, or (2) is he dead?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

After WWI, Poland and Russia each took half of what’s now Ukraine - and Ukraine and Polish nationalists fought a murderous partisan war after WWII.
    Their newfound solidarity is a fine example to all.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

and?..
    Not a Pyrrhic victory. From our perspective anyway. Turing offers more opportunities to our students and is cheaper than Erasmus
    so there...naah naah na naaah naah.

• Options
    Hard to believe that this was not always the intention. A deal self-evidently negotiated, signed and sold in bad faith. https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1524120298483855360
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

After WWI, Poland and Russia each took half of what’s now Ukraine - and Ukraine and Polish nationalists fought a murderous partisan war after WWII.
    Because they worked out that while they fought, they were being divided up as spoils by others.

Hang together or hang separately.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Streeting is such a non entity politically though. He's butter chicken.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed Streeting is the only one out of all those shown in the header who has any chance of becoming PM. I think that he becomes leader after LAB lose in 2024 then he may win GE in 2028/2029.
    Pretty damning there of the current selection of Labour women.....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Just checking, is this one of them ‘ghastly anti-Brexit folk can only spout rhetoric while we noble Brexiteers are exemplars of principle and profound truths’ situations?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Parts of Surrey and Oxfordshire, as far as I can gather, and just to begin with.

Plymouth result on Thursday wasn't bad for the Tories.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

nico679 said:

More expensive food.

More immigrants.

More red tape.

EU immigration free movement was replaced by a points system and they have regained sovereignty from the EU and ECJ as they voted for
    3 pts for a win?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Hard to believe that this was not always the intention. A deal self-evidently negotiated, signed and sold in bad faith. https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1524120298483855360

Quite obviously Johnson has never had any intention of honouring his "oven ready deal".

No government should trust him, not even our own.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,846

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It’s a cheap knock off compared to Erasmus . No 10 gave it a good name to try and dupe people .
  • Options
    YouGov looking an outlier at present.

PB Tories will have to put pitchforks down for the moment
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite obviously Johnson has never had any intention of honouring his "oven ready deal".

The Swedish and Finnish governments don't seem to agree with you.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,229
    Nigelb said:

Ukraine expects membership candidate status by the EU in June. “Then we will sit down with you and resolve the rest of the issues. How. When, and so forth.” “If we don’t get the candidate status, it means that Europe is trying to trick us,"—Ukrainian FM

I seem to remember East Germany getting membership very quickly.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I mean it's within MoE of the only other 2 polls released since the elections last week.
    Labour share solidly in the 38ish range, Tory share 33ish looks about right
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

Because they worked out that while they fought, they were being divided up as spoils by others.

Hang together or hang separately.
    Yes, but still remarkable given the history.

Neither are what you’d call perfect democracies - and Poland has been moving in the other direction in recent years - but the immense generosity of the Poles in taking millions of refugees makes me optimistic for the future.
  • Options

For @Carnyx

18-24 -38
    25-49 -25
    50-64 -4
    65+ +29

Scotland -45
    London -29
    Rest of South -4
    Midlands & Wales -2
    North +5

GB -8

Just checking, is this one of them ‘ghastly anti-Brexit folk can only spout rhetoric while we noble Brexiteers are exemplars of principle and profound truths’ situations?
    Ask the pollster....
  • Options
    Tres said:

Nigelb said:

I seem to remember East Germany getting membership very quickly.
    I recall Thatcher opposing reunification.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Scott_xP said:

nico679 said:

More expensive food.

More immigrants.

More red tape.

One product of Brexit is this rather wonderful tea towel.

https://mr.bingo/brexit-tea-towel/
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

Streeting comes across well, is telegenic, articulate and relatively centrist and also has much more charisma than Starmer.

As a Tory of the above he is the one I would most fear, I also fear Burnham but he is not in Parliament.

Streeting would also be our first Cambridge educated PM since Baldwin, as indeed would Burnham

• Options

I mean it's within MoE of the only other 2 polls released since the elections last week.
    Labour share solidly in the 38ish range, Tory share 33ish looks about right
    Fair point and objective not what you heard from the PB Tories of course
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

The Polish thing is interesting - even the ultra-nationalists accept the borders (mostly)

The reason for this was a series of influential thinkers on the nationalist side of things, who made a case that the only way for Poland to get stronger and safer in the future was by allying with the neighbours - Ukraine, Baltics etc.

That previous attacks, subjugations etc of Poland we’re possible because of hostility with neighbours. Particularly over territory.

By accepting the current borders, they would end any hostility between them, making mutual defence a common interest.

The contrast with the Russian ultra-nationalist position is intriguing.
    Russian nationalism = Russian/Soviet imperialism.

Polish imperialism is a VERY dim memory for Poles, unlike Hungarian imperialism for Magyars. About only quasi-significant sources of semi-irredentism for Poles is Vilnius the capital of Lithuania (Polish Wilno) and Těšín on other side of Czech border (Polish Cieszyn).

But even the right-wingnuts running the Polish govt would be leery to try making political capital out of this kind of crap.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

nico679 said:

More expensive food.

More immigrants.

More red tape.

One product of Brexit is this rather wonderful tea towel.

https://mr.bingo/brexit-tea-towel/
    I'd say that this was hilarious, but I've just realised it's a little close to home....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Chris Mason is the Grassington versus of John Cole.

Discuss?
  • Options

Did you get your vaccine? Brexit benefitted you from not being locked into some half-arsed Euro arrangement. It quite possibly saved the life of a friend or family member.

Our being outside was also a spur to the EU to get their shit together. Having Brexit Britain jabbed up whilst the EU's citizens died created a political imperative to shift their arses.

If the Referendum had locked us into ever closer union, I strongly suspect the UK would have been closed down from helping Ukraine to the level we have. We would have been trapped into some EU-wide foot-dragging whilst Kyiv fell.

Plus - Nigel Farage is out of a job. His soap box taken away. Surely that counts for something?
    1. I'd have got my vaccine if we'd still been in the EU.

2. Well done! Getting rid of Nigel Farage is a definite plus plus plus. Whether Brexit is worth it...
    I think you need to go back and re-remember how the EU tried to fuck us over on vaccines.... Because we were making them look bad.

Macron commenting on the quality of our vaccine ring any bells?
    Yes, I know all that. But folk in the EU got vaccinated, albeit a bit later, and the Covid death rate in W. Europe is pretty much on a par with ours.

It's telling that you and other Brexit supporters are struggling to find something about Brexit that has improved the day-to-day life of the average UK citizen. I'm not talking about Ukraine, gene editing or any of that stuff - just my everyday life, which I feel has got worse since 2016, not better. I was promised cheaper food, fewer immigrants etc. etc. But food is much more expensive and there's millions of "illegals crossing the Channel" (TM Mail, Farage). So I ask again - am I any better off? (And I'm not really willing to wait JRM's 50 years to find out).
    My vote for Brexit was based on the UK being subsumed into an EU that did not trust the UK and wanted to keep us tightly wrapped up in "the Project". Ever closer union was not a direction of travel I felt was appropriate for the UK, given what we had seen for 40 years. The EU was intent on becoming a single economic, political, military entity.

My vote was never in the expectation of an instant uplift. Partly because I expected the EU to be as obstructive as it was possible to be if we had snubbed their lofty aspirations. So I would suggest you are asking the wring person if you want examples that affect you. I have - in vaccines and Ukraine - seen examples that make me convinced on a macro level, we were right to take what would certainly have been our last chance to leave the EU.
    That's a fair enough answer, thanks. It's not much solace to my Brexit-voting geezer on the Clapham omnibus, though, who was expecting some tangible benefits in the here and now, six years on from the vote.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

He would like to be Putin, it seems. He's just not able to be quite there.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Somehow doubt they are putting their trust in Boris Johnson.

More like, in the "Demented Vegetable".

Betting that, even if (God forbid!) 45 regains the White House, even he isn't Cnut enough to turn back the tide.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Candidate status seems the least that could be done and pretty easy. Membership itself, sure, the EU will want to take time, but if there's will and support decades seems pessimistic.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Streeting comes across well, is telegenic, articulate and relatively centrist and also has much more charisma than Starmer.

As a Tory of the above he is the one I would most fear, I also fear Burnham but he is not in Parliament.

Streeting would also be our first Cambridge educated PM since Baldwin, as indeed would Burnham

He's slightly full of himself like Ashworth whereas he's just an identikit clean cut Blair/Cameron type unit.
    No USP
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What's wrong with butter chicken?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Theres a sucker born every minute. Its how con men like Johnson make their living.

Looks like you are now amongst the suckers.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

nico679 said:

More expensive food.

More immigrants.

More red tape.

Food prices:

I doubt the lower food inflation is brexit-related, but it is lower.
    Good God. Facts?
    I only post bullshit opinions when sober. Drunk, I do stats. Possibly bullshit stats, but stats.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    On topic.

The mayor, of a large city, in the UK, going on to become party leader then Prime minister? The stuff of fantasy, surely ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It's very mild and boring. Which some girl guides love of course
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    I would go for Rachel.

Bridget is an interesting wildcard choice, she has impressed me of late. Think she will hold her seat handily although I do take Woolie’s point.

I like Streets but I do think the party will want a lady this time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Is this a piss take ?

He would like to be Putin, it seems. He's just not able to be quite there.
    He’s by implication threatening the territory of a fellow NATO member.
    Needs putting back in his box.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FFS can't we look a little wider afield than oxbridge tossers?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No idea but my favourite curry venue once refused to serve me it, as too bland for me. Genuinely.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The government is dropping new proposed zonal planning laws which would have allowed automatic development in specific zones and also scrapping legally binding housing targets.

Instead Gove will give local communities more control over planning in their area, including the layout of new developments and the materials to be used. There will also be a new infrastructure levy.

The u turn follows significant losses to the LDs, Independents and Residents Associations and Greens in recent local elections in the Home Counties, as well as the loss of the Chesham and Amersham parliamentary by election last year to the LDs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61400935

• Options
    'We can't spend out way out of trouble, says PM' declares the BBC homepage.

Which is problematic as I thought that was how he generally got out of political trouble.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure we could stretch to a tosser from Bristol or Durham, but it does absolutely have to be a tosser.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Some issues with Streeting (who I like): London MP. Second referendum campaigner. Ex-NUS president. Worked for Stonewall.
    Nandy: Wigan MP. Against a second referendum. Wanted Brexit done (soft version).
    So Streeting would be easier for the right wing press to attack than Nandy.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oxford is ok, it's those Cambridge tossers that are the problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

The government is dropping new proposed zonal planning laws which would have allowed automatic development and also scrapping legally binding housing targets.

Instead Gove will give local communities more control over planning in their area, including the layout of new developments and the materials to be used.

The u turn follows significant losses to LDs and Independents and Greens in recent local elections in the Home Counties, as well as the loss of the Chesham and Amersham parliamentary by election last year to the LDs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61400935

I thought they'd dropped that already months ago when Jenrik was sacked.

Councils and public will love no legally binding housing targets, but how on earth is the housing needed going to be built if the government makes it easier to resist developments? A lot of the planning system is about rules that mean permission should be granted even if local people don't want it, as you won't build enough just by what people want.

As for the planning system being digitized, 'making plans more accessible online' as far as I know planners put it all online already anyway. Some applications will have hundreds of documents.
This discussion has been closed.