Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB lead down to 1% with YouGov – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MISTY said:

On topic these are the actual yougov figures and I did not realise labour dropped 3% and conservatives increased 2%

It does make the next few polls interesting to see the trend

Latest Westminster voting intention (5-6 May)

Lab: 36% (-3 from 26-27 Apr)
    Con: 35% (+2)
    Lib Dem: 10% (-1)
    Green: 8% (+2)
    SNP: 5% (n/c)
    Reform UK: 4% (+1)

Reforms 4% might be crucial in a close election, they won't be fielding a full slate, if even half and I seriously doubt they'd get 4% nationally in a GE anyway. They are the NOTA/Brexit option and in the booth choices will be made
    Its funny Tice said on radio on Sunday he fully expects to field 600 plus at GE.

Words are cheap. They don't require deposits, or effort, or candidates, or infrastructure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456

Katharine Viner
    @KathViner
    ·
    35m
    I’m delighted to announce that
    @PippaCrerar

is to join the Guardian as political editor. Pippa has a remarkable track record of exclusives and has set the political agenda time and again. She joins us later this year
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,400
    MISTY said:

On topic these are the actual yougov figures and I did not realise labour dropped 3% and conservatives increased 2%

Reforms 4% might be crucial in a close election, they won't be fielding a full slate, if even half and I seriously doubt they'd get 4% nationally in a GE anyway. They are the NOTA/Brexit option and in the booth choices will be made
    Its funny Tice said on radio on Sunday he fully expects to field 600 plus at GE.

I wonder if Dowden will complain to the Mail when Lice's 600+ drops to 300 in favour of the Tories again.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

Three words for republicans:

President Boris Johnson.

Which is why all Americans became monarchists in 2008-20.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Actually he would make a much better nominal head of state than someone in charge of selecting the cabinet and making law. He was an adequate Mayor of London.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035

Just seen the proposals to use d'Hondt in Wales.

I approve. A simple system that delivers proportionality (when each constituency has enough seats).

Way, way better than STV.

Interesting quirk about the British-administered Northern Ireland election:

In no less than 12 of 18 of the five-seat constituencies, the top 5 first-preference candidates were elected.
    They usually are.
    For a bit of fun, the NI FPTP results (on Party first preferences).
    SF 9, DUP 6, Alliance 3.

On top candidate.
    SF 12, DUP 2, Alliance 2, UUP 1, Ind 1.
  • Options

I approve. A simple system that delivers proportionality (when each constituency has enough seats).

In no less than 12 of 18 of the five-seat constituencies, the top 5 first-preference candidates were elected.
    it's not a quirk, that's what generally matters in the majority of constituencies. I saw an analysis of the Republic elections over the last few years and that was invariably the case.
    So why bother with STV?
    The mechanism of STV ends up ranking the candidates on 1st Preferences, and parties who put up say 2 or 3 candidates in a 5 member seat usually enhances their place in the ranking compared to putting in 5 candidates. In a 5 memebr seat candidates need to get 16.7% of the vote by either 1st preferences or after transfers from below (or above in surpluses).
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,462
    Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

And? He could be removed the coterie of wastrels can't.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,261
    MISTY said:

I doubt they've got the money to waste. But if they do they do, their performance in elections since 2019 suggests 4% is a pipedream. 1.5% nationally tops imo if fielding 600, so there's a few hundred thousand votes to fight over. A party with a handful of councilors isn't getting 4%, there's no ground game.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MISTY said:

I wonder if Dowden will complain to the Mail when Lice's 600+ drops to 300 in favour of the Tories again.
    No shortage of candidates in the tories' red wall seats. Much harder to get people to stand in the leafy shires I think.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    The six constituencies in Occupied Northern Ireland where one or more of the Top 5 first preferences were NOT elected under STV were:

Belfast West - 5th place DUP
    East Derry - 4th place SF
    Foyle - 4th place UUP
    North Antrim - 4th place DUP
    Strangford - 3rd place TUV
    Upper Bann - 3rd place SF
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Actually he would make a much better nominal head of state than someone in charge of selecting the cabinet and making law. He was an adequate Mayor of London.
    The Mayor of London, like most other Mayors are just figureheads, directing the monies around. If Sadiq Khan can do it adequately, then Bozo the Clown could. The key word here is "adequate".

It reminds me of OFSTED changing the middle classification for a school to "Only Satisfactory".
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

I'm so glad you have that much faith in the quality of our politicians that you think having more of them is a good idea.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Assuming he gets elected!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,602

Cue Sunil announcing it's been FIVE Months and 4 days since the last Tory poll lead!
    I just realised that these figures are from the 5th to the 6th May so do not include the last few days
    More likely contamination of these data is the local elections, raising the profile of the greens.

What happens in the immediate future is interesting, but not as interesting as what the polls say after all the pieces currently up in the air have landed.

And then we have the grind of two years of getting slowly poorer to look forward to.
  • Options

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

The Mayor of London, like most other Mayors are just figureheads, directing the monies around. If Sadiq Khan can do it adequately, then Bozo the Clown could. The key word here is "adequate".
    So is the Prime Minister, to an extent.

Boris has been able to have a quite successful Premiership getting stuff done despite his deep and obvious personal flaws not because the PM does stuff himself but because there's a whole infrastructure and myriad of support staff all the way down to the people who actually get stuff done.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,601
    According to the BBC, the QS contains:

A new Schools Bill (that) will give the schools regulator powers to crack down on unregistered schools in England, and introduce attendance registers

Given that the DfE and Ofsted already have those powers in abundance, this is a weird Bill.

Is the rest of the QS so pointless, and is that why I've not read any comment here on the substance of the speech?
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,000
    Regarding Wales: quite brave by Labour as they won 50% of the seats with 36% of the regional vote last time. Also interesting that they are continuing with the same boundaries for now, which massively disadvantages Cardiff, which has seen much greater population growth than the rest of the country
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

I'm so glad you have that much faith in the quality of our politicians that you think having more of them is a good idea.
    Some of our politicians are brilliant. I've got a lot of time Hunt, Starmer, Sturgeon, Davis.
    Just because we get twats like Boris, Corbyn, Salmond, Patel, doesn't mean they're all bad.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635

We've now got some embarrassed looking guy in a really silly costume sitting in the back of a huge car thats all windows with a hat having the national anthem played to him.

Insightful. But.

If it isn't easy to make fun of, then it wouldn't be a ceremony. But the same would be true of any ceremony that the parodist finds personally important. Funerals. Weddings. The hajj...........and an endless list. What larks.

• Options

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

It reminds me of OFSTED changing the middle classification for a school to "Only Satisfactory".
    I don't think we have had a particularly good Mayor of London yet, and that is probably significantly due to the limited range of powers they have. Johnson does not seem worse than the others so far though, probably similar to Khan in success if very different in character.

I think he would also at least be in the middle range of performers for an elected, but largely ceremonial, head of state. President Boris Johnson as a ceremonial head of state is far far better than PM Boris Johnson.

On a tangent I still expect him to run for President of the US, yes I know he is not eligible, but he is eligible enough to be allowed to raise hundreds of millions of dollars from the gullible over there.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591
    Dura_Ace said:

We've now got some embarrassed looking guy in a really silly costume sitting in the back of a huge car thats all windows with a hat having the national anthem played to him.

If it upsets you so much why watch it
    Upsets? Amuses! There is something profoundly silly about Pomp and Circumstance when it comes to the royal bit of the state.
    The spell is definitely broken without Brenda. It becomes immediately apparent how banal and outdated the institution is.
    Unsurprising views from a nihilist who wants to kill all his fellow Brits (and perhaps himself) via anti-vaxxery, and someone who loathes Britain so much he wants it broken up in any way possible - Scottish independence, united Ireland, you name it

Put it another way: I didn’t have you marked down as an avowed royalist who now, suddenly, sees the institution for what it is
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209

Regarding Wales: quite brave by Labour as they won 50% of the seats with 36% of the regional vote last time. Also interesting that they are continuing with the same boundaries for now, which massively disadvantages Cardiff, which has seen much greater population growth than the rest of the country

Is this change being driven by Labour? Fair play to them if it is. It's not very often that a party does something that isn't in its interest.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133

Upsets? Amuses! There is something profoundly silly about Pomp and Circumstance when it comes to the royal bit of the state.
    did you get a solution to moving your safe
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,357
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Oh come off it.

I'm a republican but lets be honest, all states have their own Pomp and Circumstance in such ceremonies.

The Americans have plenty of Pomp and Circumstance with the President's equivalent State of the Union speech and other set pieces.

The French have plenty of Pomp and Circumstance too in their Presidential set pieces.

Of all the reasons to be a republican, the lack of Pomp and Circumstance in republics is not one of them.
    The French surround their President with as much pomp as any monarch, and he is the head of France's main chivalric order.
    Yes, they aspire to be a presidential monarchy. And Macron literally lives in a palace

I don't see the point in having a monarchy unless you get the Pomp and Circumstance. I don't want King William to turn up for the Opening of Parliament on an e-scooter, in a hoody

Royalty is meant to brighten the day with horses and swords and carriages and crowns. It is theatre. It is MEANT to be a bit silly and different and charmingly archaic, while also knitting modern Britons back into our incredible history, because there is such a density of symbolism, speaking of different eras and epochs. Like the symbolic hunt for explosives under the Commons!

I love it. If you get rid of all that we might as well have a cheap, tedious euro-style president

Wouldn't it be ace if Prince Harry went to deliver it and he rapped the Queens Speech to give parliament more meaning and relevance to modern Britain.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,000
    tlg86 said:

Is this change being driven by Labour? Fair play to them if it is. It's not very often that a party does something that isn't in its interest.
    They are in coalition with Plaid so I'm assuming Plaid have pushed it more.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Some of our politicians are brilliant. I've got a lot of time Hunt, Starmer, Sturgeon, Davis.
    Just because we get twats like Boris, Corbyn, Salmond, Patel, doesn't mean they're all bad.
    Oh fer fucks sake. Starmer. Not even starmer’s mum would call Starmer “a brilliant politician”

Salmond on the other hand WAS quite brilliant. Nearly single handedly broke up one of the grandest old nations in the world, pretty much by sheer force of personality

He is now a corpulent sleaze bag but all political careers end thusly
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

A the danger of starting down a rabbit hole, I wholly disagree. D'Hondt gives far too much power to parties, and too little to voters. Simplicity isn't itself a virtue.
    If simplicity is a virtue, stick with FPTP...
    But that's simply wrong.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,502
    Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Two words for monarchists:
    King Andrew
    (two heartbeats away until Charles had children)

As others have pointed out, President Johnson could at least be booted out after a few years...
  • Options
    edited May 2022

tlg86 said:

They are in coalition with Plaid so I'm assuming Plaid have pushed it more.
    Will there be a referendum on the change?

EDIT: from Wales online:

Any change like this requires the support of two-thirds of the current 60 member Senedd. Between the two parties, they have 43 seats out of the total 60 meaning that their proposals are likely to be approved. In a joint statement, they say changes should come into force by the next Senedd election in 2026.
  • Options

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Boris has been able to have a quite successful Premiership getting stuff done despite his deep and obvious personal flaws not because the PM does stuff himself but because there's a whole infrastructure and myriad of support staff all the way down to the people who actually get stuff done.
    Partially agree but..
    "myriad of" = immediate ban from PB for life.
  • Options
    On top five candidates by first preferences. Changes with actual results.

SF 29 (+2). DUP 26 (+1). APNI 16 (-2). UUP 9 (=). SDLP 6 (-2). TUV 2 (+1). Ind 2 (=). Green 0 (-1).
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Two words for monarchists:
    King Andrew
    (two heartbeats away until Charles had children)

As others have pointed out, President Johnson could at least be booted out after a few years...
    We can also depose a king. We’ve done it before

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

A the danger of starting down a rabbit hole, I wholly disagree. D'Hondt gives far too much power to parties, and too little to voters. Simplicity isn't itself a virtue.
    But that's simply wrong.
    There isn't any electoral system that is "right", per Arrow's theorem.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Oh fer fucks sake. Starmer. Not even starmer’s mum would call Starmer “a brilliant politician”

Salmond on the other hand WAS quite brilliant. Nearly single handedly broke up one of the grandest old nations in the world, pretty much by sheer force of personality

I mean he got outplayed by Angie Rayner.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MISTY said:

I doubt they've got the money to waste. But if they do they do, their performance in elections since 2019 suggests 4% is a pipedream. 1.5% nationally tops imo if fielding 600, so there's a few hundred thousand votes to fight over. A party with a handful of councilors isn't getting 4%, there's no ground game.
    Ironically, the system for the UK's European elections really helped UKIP/ The Brexit party get momentum. First past the post in brave independent Britain, not so much.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Davis?

Do you mean David Davis (think as mince?)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Also on Wales...

The statement from Mark Drakeford, the Labour leader, and Adam Price, the Plaid Cymru leader, says:

The Senedd should have 96 members - up from the current 60
    It should be elected using closed proportional lists with integrated statutory gender quotas and mandatory zipping - which requires parties to put forward equal numbers of male and female candidates and alternating between men and women when preparing their candidate lists
    Seats should be allocated to parties using the D’Hondt formula (which is the current formula for electing members of the Senedd)
  • Options

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

I don't think we have had a particularly good Mayor of London yet, and that is probably significantly due to the limited range of powers they have. Johnson does not seem worse than the others so far though, probably similar to Khan in success if very different in character.

I think he would also at least be in the middle range of performers for an elected, but largely ceremonial, head of state. President Boris Johnson as a ceremonial head of state is far far better than PM Boris Johnson.

On a tangent I still expect him to run for President of the US, yes I know he is not eligible, but he is eligible enough to be allowed to raise hundreds of millions of dollars from the gullible over there.
    Taking this further, if the job of PM and ceremonial President had both been available back when Johnson launched his political career, he may well have aimed for being President and left the PM role to those willing to put in some serious work and thought.

He could still do his shiny boosterism, dressing up and jaunts overseas and we could have a functioning government, what is not to like?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Fairness is also a virtue. Switch to d'Hondt.

Simplicity and fairness.
  • Options

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Condemning him to a decade of meaningless small talk actually seems a decent idea. President without executive power, of course.
  • Options
    YouGov interesting, barely any change in KS numbers yet polling drops?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Volkswagen Group shares down 5% this morning. I wonder why that might be…?
  • Options
    FPT:

Selebian said:

Just read the messages the Guardian claim to have showing work carried on until 1AM.

They look pretty convincing to me, I am sure they will be leaking soon.

Via your good self, Horse? :wink:
    Hey! Hope you are keeping well.

I can ask my family friend but I don’t think they’ll be willing to share the documents themselves. If they even have them, I haven’t asked.

What I will say is that Starmer would not have made this decision without having evidence prior (and that was already turned over to the Police), without being very confident.

I probably shouldn’t say too much more - will keep you in the loop
    Ah, was just joking really but I thought you meant you had the messages in your possession.

Good, thank you for asking. Bit of a spat with my wife last night (which was not fully resolved by this morning) over how to handle a tricky situation with a toddler and some other stresses in our lives - both tired and grumpy, but resolved it now. 19 mile cycle in to work (further than usual due to cycle path closure and temporary address during building work) gave some much needed perspective. Gorgeous morning with the wind assisting me too, suspect the return leg will be more of a challenge!

Hope you are well, too. How was the cricket?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

I admire Starmer hugely for saving Labour from the far left. No apologies for thinking that. The one thing that's really been within his gift since becoming Labour leader, and he's achieved it. I was worried for a while we were going to have a succession of Corbyns.

Salmond has always been a bit Salmondy. Yes, I can't argue that he was very effective at one point, but even that's now in the past. He's gone from genius who makes your skin crawl to just someone who makes your skin crawl. And it's not recent.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Simplicity and fairness.
    Define "fairness", taking into account Arrow's theorem.
  • Options

Just seen that Graham Thorpe is in hospital in a serious condition. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

After the shock death of Shane Warne earlier this year and now Thorpe hospitalised, it feels really weird having athletes I grew up watching getting sick or worse. They're young people still, fifties is no age to be getting seriously sick or worse, hope he makes a full recovery.

A genuinely world class batsman, a very rare category for an England player of his era.
  • Options

it's not a quirk, that's what generally matters in the majority of constituencies. I saw an analysis of the Republic elections over the last few years and that was invariably the case.
    So why bother with STV?
    The mechanism of STV ends up ranking the candidates on 1st Preferences, and parties who put up say 2 or 3 candidates in a 5 member seat usually enhances their place in the ranking compared to putting in 5 candidates. In a 5 memebr seat candidates need to get 16.7% of the vote by either 1st preferences or after transfers from below (or above in surpluses).
    A so-called proportional system where the number of seats you win depends on how many candidates you put up.

Nonsense on stilts.
  • Options

Just seen that Graham Thorpe is in hospital in a serious condition. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

After the shock death of Shane Warne earlier this year and now Thorpe hospitalised, it feels really weird having athletes I grew up watching getting sick or worse. They're young people still, fifties is no age to be getting seriously sick or worse, hope he makes a full recovery.

Wait till you get to your fifties my friend.
    A fair few of my peers gone. More in very poor health.
    We all like to think we'll be sprightly at 80. But.
    It's coming to us all.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Davis?

Yes, I mean David Davis. Sorry, I really like him.
  • Options
    PB Republicans need to imagine what a UK (except it would then be something else - the UR?) would look like

The crown is woven into every corner of our national life, from the law to parliament to the army and navy to our stamps and money and shared and collective memory

It would be an act of near-impossible vandalism to get rid of all that. A huge emotional and constitutional wrench. And for what? To what end? How would we be better? We’d need some elected figurehead so it would be president fuck knows. Ed sheeran? President Mister Tumble off of CBBC?

It’s just never going to happen. Even if republican sentiment went over 50% people would look at the pointless chaos and say Nah
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ah... Just bought an 'approved' used Seat fossil burner, taking it back Thursday for a couple of things to be fixed under the warranty (phoned yesterday to raise the issues). So that probably explains it :smiley:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

The statement from Mark Drakeford, the Labour leader, and Adam Price, the Plaid Cymru leader, says:

It should be elected using closed proportional lists with integrated statutory gender quotas and mandatory zipping - which requires parties to put forward equal numbers of male and female candidates and alternating between men and women when preparing their candidate lists
    Seats should be allocated to parties using the D’Hondt formula (which is the current formula for electing members of the Senedd)

Surely ABBA system is better than alternate.
    Could be his Waterloo?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Davis?

Yes, I mean David Davis. Sorry, I really like him.
    He is lazy but not thick at all, and gains credit for being an independent thinker.
  • Options

So why bother with STV?
    A so-called proportional system where the number of seats you win depends on how many candidates you put up.

Nonsense on stilts.
    Ranking doesn't mean seats. Witness the Glasgow seat where the Greens ranked 1st on 1st preferences, but because they only put up one candidate. SNP still won 2 seats. Ranking counts for nothing next to who is actually elected.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Simplicity and fairness.
    Those who have wronged Oliver Queen or threaten Star City can be brought to justice by a masked vigilante archer.
  • Options

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

What has he done other than wreck the country ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

So presumably they are happy for this to go to a referendum in Wales, so that the people can decide if public money is best spent on 60% more politicians, their hangers-on, office space and generous expenses?
  • Options
    biggles said:

Cue Sunil announcing it's been FIVE Months and 4 days since the last Tory poll lead!
    I just realised that these figures are from the 5th to the 6th May so do not include the last few days
    More likely contamination of these data is the local elections, raising the profile of the greens.

What happens in the immediate future is interesting, but not as interesting as what the polls say after all the pieces currently up in the air have landed.

And then we have the grind of two years of getting slowly poorer to look forward to.
    No way the LibDems stay so high when HikeGate hits home.
    I'm still looking forward to news of the LD lockdown bar crawl breaking. Being LD, suitably restrained: 5-bar-gate :smile:
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

So why bother with STV?

Nonsense on stilts.
    Ranking doesn't mean seats. Witness the Glasgow seat where the Greens ranked 1st on 1st preferences, but because they only put up one candidate. SNP still won 2 seats. Ranking counts for nothing next to who is actually elected.
    The trick is not to be the last one eliminated. Which means your votes don't get transferred.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

But that's simply wrong.
    There isn't any electoral system that is "right", per Arrow's theorem.
    Indeed not.
    But I'm a pluralist, and FPTP is considerably wronger than many alternatives.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Previous post highlights why UK is so F***ed up, not one of the supposed good ones has ever done anything other than line their own pockets , lie , cheat or be incompetent.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Ah... Just bought an 'approved' used Seat fossil burner, taking it back Thursday for a couple of things to be fixed under the warranty (phoned yesterday to raise the issues). So that probably explains it :smiley:
    Please raise the issue with the dealer, that the VW CEO is a barely-disguised Nazi who thinks we should be appeasing Putin.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

PB Republicans need to imagine what a UK (except it would then be something else - the UR?) would look like

The crown is woven into every corner of our national life, from the law to parliament to the army and navy to our stamps and money and shared and collective memory

It would be an act of near-impossible vandalism to get rid of all that. A huge emotional and constitutional wrench. And for what? To what end? How would we be better? We’d need some elected figurehead so it would be president fuck knows. Ed sheeran? President Mister Tumble off of CBBC?

It’s just never going to happen. Even if republican sentiment went over 50% people would look at the pointless chaos and say Nah

I favour a more slimmed-down approach, but holding on to the institution for now. The country would be in too much of a confused and volatile position politically and socially to make such a big change for a long time anyway, I think.

What the country really needs most urgently is rebuilding of trust between metropolitans and conservatives, and less politically expedient culture war, as well as possibly the most extreme ends of identity politics on the left.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

FPT:

Selebian said:

Just read the messages the Guardian claim to have showing work carried on until 1AM.

They look pretty convincing to me, I am sure they will be leaking soon.

Via your good self, Horse? :wink:
    Hey! Hope you are keeping well.

I can ask my family friend but I don’t think they’ll be willing to share the documents themselves. If they even have them, I haven’t asked.

What I will say is that Starmer would not have made this decision without having evidence prior (and that was already turned over to the Police), without being very confident.

I probably shouldn’t say too much more - will keep you in the loop
    Ah, was just joking really but I thought you meant you had the messages in your possession.

Good, thank you for asking. Bit of a spat with my wife last night (which was not fully resolved by this morning) over how to handle a tricky situation with a toddler and some other stresses in our lives - both tired and grumpy, but resolved it now. 19 mile cycle in to work (further than usual due to cycle path closure and temporary address during building work) gave some much needed perspective. Gorgeous morning with the wind assisting me too, suspect the return leg will be more of a challenge!

Hope you are well, too. How was the cricket?
    Cricket was good - we lost but we were playing in the dark by the end which was very unfair but the Umpire was useless. Faced 11 got 8 not out, so pretty average performance.

I know you were joking but I do have a source (ish) inside Starmer's circle, I'm not sure I'll get anything out of them particularly fast but for example yesterday I knew a bit before everyone else that he was going to make that statement at 4. I posted it for the benefit of people betting, I think some people got on.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fuck that, I want Ed Sheeran on my £20 notes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

What has he done other than wreck the country ?
    Partied like its 1999!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Previous post highlights why UK is so F***ed up, not one of the supposed good ones has ever done anything other than line their own pockets , lie , cheat or be incompetent.
    Yes. A pretty desperate list

Vanishingly few politicians are “brilliant”. In the last 40 years of British political life I’d suggest salmond and thatcher. With the possibility of early Blair. That’s it
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Please raise the issue with the dealer, that the WV CEO is a barely-disguised Nazi who thinks we should be appeasing Putin.
    Hmm, not sure that nuts and cranks are covered :disappointed:
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

By the time that happens, the security hologram will include him singing a song that the shopkeeper checks using second factor authentication.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

So presumably they are happy for this to go to a referendum in Wales, so that the people can decide if public money is best spent on 60% more politicians, their hangers-on, office space and generous expenses?
    No, just needs 2/3 of the Senedd to get it through (Labour and PC have 43 out of 60 seats).
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Vanishingly few politicians are “brilliant”. In the last 40 years of British political life I’d suggest salmond and thatcher. With the possibility of early Blair. That’s it
    Hate to say it, but when you start to look back wistfully on how things were better back in the day, it's a sign ;)
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Simplicity and fairness.
    Fairness:

20% of the votes gets you 20% of the seats.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Selebian said:

biggles said:

No way the LibDems stay so high when HikeGate hits home.
    I'm still looking forward to news of the LD lockdown bar crawl breaking. Being LD, suitably restrained: 5-bar-gate :smile:
    Sadly, there’s not enough of them for a gathering to have broken the rules.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Hate to say it, but when you start to look back wistfully on how things were better back in the day, it's a sign ;)
    There are much bigger signs than that, my friend

I met some old pals for a drink the other day. I was shocked to see one of them - only a year or two older than me - sporting A HEARING AID

I can accept spectacles. Happens to many in later middle age. But a hearing aid? I associate that with absolute old age

I nearly abandoned him as a friend there and then! But I relented due to being middle aged and mellow
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Yes , 70's were happy days , 8 pints for a pound, pay rises every month, sunny uplands indeed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    Good poll for the Tories from Yougov. However more a product of the Greens on 8% cutting down Labour to 36% than a Tory surge given the Conservatives are still on 35%.

Would still likely see a Labour minority government supported by the LDs and other minor parties in a hung parliament though
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

No, just needs 2/3 of the Senedd to get it through (Labour and PC have 43 out of 60 seats).
    Aren’t they about to get into lots of hot water on the gender thing? Seems like an unnecessary introduction of a trans argument they could have ducked.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

Quotas are always such a turn on for voters, and always nice to know you got the second seat for your party purely because of your boobs/winky. Hopefully nobody would dare game Drakefords zipper system by just declaring themselves a girl or boy.
    What if the list is 1) female 2) non binary, do we miss men and have a woman at 3? And how can they then ensure equal numbers? Not be allowed the last one or force them to find someone who identifies as a cat?!
    Away and tape off the book section you twit Drakeford
  • Options
    biggles said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

Aren’t they about to get into lots of hot water on the gender thing? Seems like an unnecessary introduction of a trans argument they could have ducked.
    Oh I do hope so. :lol:
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Simplicity and fairness.
    Fairness:

How is it fair when the candidate order is chosen by the parties themselves.

A fair system allows the voter to decide who are the people elected to represent them.

Dan Hannan did a brilliant piece on d’Hondt, sadly now lost in a Telegraph platform change, congratulating himself on his re-election a week before the vote. You see, he was Conservative list #1 in the South East, it was next to impossible for the electorate to choose not to elect him.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,515
    dixiedean said:

Wait till you get to your fifties my friend.
    A fair few of my peers gone. More in very poor health.
    We all like to think we'll be sprightly at 80. But.
    It's coming to us all.
    On a similar, but less morbid note, despite being only in my forties, the grandchildren of sportsmen I grew up watching are now playing professional sport:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Botham
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'Margio_Wright-Phillips
  • Options
    Interesting if true.
    🇭🇺Ambassador to 🇺🇦 says Hungary "has never been against" Ukraine's accession to NATO, and won't oppose it - Interview with Espreso

Russia's an aggressor country, 🇭🇺 has no territorial claims to Zakarpattia, Ambo István Íjgyártó says.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1523995412797046785
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good poll for the Tories from Yougov. However more a product of the Greens on 8% cutting down Labour to 36% than a Tory surge given the Conservatives are still on 35%.

Would still likely see a Labour minority government supported by the LDs and other minor parties in a hung parliament though

Agree with this - but I don't see any hit to KS's numbers which I was expecting to see if I am honest
  • Options
    Farooq said:

So why bother with STV?

Nonsense on stilts.
    That's not the point I was making.

In the example you give, the Greens put up one candidate to give the best chance of winning a seat. If they had fielded a full slate of five candidates they may not have won a seat, even with the same number of first preference votes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    Charles gives his first King's speech in effect, the first of many to comeas he stands in for the Queen at the State Opening of Parliament. William there too to learn the ropes
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Charlie Kennedy. Disagree with him on much, but he was brilliant at advancing his party and being more influential than the pure numbers should have allowed.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

biggles said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

Oh I do hope so. :lol:
    I'm looking forward to Drakeford ordering the Women's Equality party to increase the sausage content of its list
  • Options
    Leon said:

I would agree, but then I look at the Brexit vote. You can argue about whether being in or out was better and whether having monarchy or republic is better, but either way there's a fair bit of pain changing it. So you'd better be sure that the alternative is better. That was a chunk of my remain vote and would make me hesitant if there was a vote to rejoin in the near future. Yet it happened.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

You might hope that their value would × but it would more likely ÷.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Simplicity and fairness.
    Fairness:

How is it fair when the candidate order is chosen by the parties themselves.

A fair system allows the voter to decide who are the people elected to represent them.

Dan Hannan did a brilliant piece on d’Hondt, sadly now lost in a Telegraph platform change, congratulating himself on his re-election a week before the vote. You see, he was Conservative list #1 in the South East, it was next to impossible for the electorate to choose not to elect him.
    This is a fundamental part of the voting process for me: you must be able to vote for a named candidate.

Say I was a voter for party Y. I am a believer in pro-choice when it comes to abortion, as generally does Party Y - but it is not a big issue for them. They then inflict a candidate on me who is vehemently anti-abortion.

Or any other issue people feel strongly about.

Before any election, I try and look at the views of the candidates. It matters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, very good point. The Green-Labour clawback is real, not least because often the Greens don't even stand a candidate. Conservative donors could get a lot more bang for their buck by donating to the Green branches in marginals to encourage them to stand 😏
  • Options

So why bother with STV?

Nonsense on stilts.
    You are deliberately misrepresenting the rules of STV. As mentioned earlier, the order of 1st preference votes doesn't matter, the candidates will be elected if they achieve a quota of votes. It doesn't matter when they do it, so the order is irrelevant. It would be ridiculous for a party to put up 5 candidates in a 5 member seat as they would need to achieve 100% of the vote to get them all elected. To make things easier for all concerned it is normal to put up less candidates than FPTP, which is a good thing. Less candidates required overall. Smaller parties are obviously going to put up fewer to concentrate resources. The most likeable aspect is you can prioritise candidates within your party, which d'Hondt doesn't let you. Candidates who don't achieve a quota on their own have to be transfer friendly to progress.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Simplicity and fairness.
    Fairness:

Resulting, in nearly all cases, in a government that 0% has voted for.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Simplicity and fairness.
    Fairness:

Resulting, in nearly all cases, in a government that 0% has voted for.
    typical soundbite
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

There are much bigger signs than that, my friend

I met some old pals for a drink the other day. I was shocked to see one of them - only a year or two older than me - sporting A HEARING AID

I can accept spectacles. Happens to many in later middle age. But a hearing aid? I associate that with absolute old age

I nearly abandoned him as a friend there and then! But I relented due to being middle aged and mellow
    Time to get your order in for the little blue pills...
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

President Boris Johnson.

Lembit Opik. Christopher Chope. H'Angus the monkey and Count Binface. Legends
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997
    edited May 2022
    tlg86 said:

Also on Wales...

Do we know what is to happen if a candidate is turfed out of the party under which s/he got a list seat? That was not resolved at Holyrood before it happened (the person stayed).

Just thinking, more generally, the Tories must be really panicking in Wales if they feel the need to have a d'Hondt system in order to survive at all, as in Scotland.

Also - for those of us who can't bear the thought of forever being haunted by the Drake, Mr Davies ART, etc., fill in gap for your worst dreams:

bear in mind that all they have to do is to put themselves at the head of the list for a suitable area and they can in practice never be voted out even if not one would win a FPTP. That's how a lot of ScoTories, including some of those who constituted what Ms Davidson pretentiously called the Opposition Front Bench (as if there was one at Holyrood!), managed to stay MSPs at all. .

The Sxcottish experience is that dHondt is a Tory Preservation Order.
This discussion has been closed.