Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB to gain Wandsworth but fail to take Westminster – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

I know I am always on Johnson's case, and for that I apologise.

I am currently listening to today's Boris Churchill Ukraine speech. Will it benefit the Tories on Thursday?

Well is it me or are there shades of Peppa Pig in this speech? Not the sentiment (which I agree with) but the presentation, the long, long pauses and the odd analogies. Did he forget his notes?

Given the timing of the speech only those in the Bozo cult will believe it’s anything but a desperate attempt to sway a few voters on Thursday .

* calls Boris "Bozo"
    * accuses others of being in a cult
    So what cult am I supposed to be in then ?
    The "pathological Tory hater" cult.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

The Pope criticises "Nato barking at Russia’s gate" and suspects the invasion was "facilitated by the West’s attitude". He also questions whether weapons should be sent to Ukraine.

https://www.corriere.it/cronache/22_maggio_03/pope-francis-putin-e713a1de-cad0-11ec-84d1-341c28840c78.shtml

Well, at least one can't accuse him of not being consistent with the 1939 position taken by his predecessor Pius XII.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

Wake up; scroll through thread.
    Big G is STILL trying to ramp the non story about Keir’s curry.

He should be ashamed of himself.

I have not raised it since this morning and reporting on news media interviews and reports is the nature of this forum

You have actually reintroduced it when the narrative has moved on until the media or Durham Police respond to Richard Holden

Trying to shame a poster no matter how much you disagree is uncalled for
    I was referring to this morning’s thread.
    (I catch up hours later).

You are transparently ramping for Johnson’s smears, and it is disgraceful.
    Utter and complete nonsense

Richard Holden the local mp is asking legitimate questions and awaiting a response to his letter from Durham Police

Maybe less personal and more address the legitimate questions posed by Kay Burley on Sky this morning
    I’m just mystified why you’re willing to shred the last remnants of your PB credibility on “Richard Holden’s legitimate questions”.

Only a professional troll would continue a ramping campaign in the manner you have.

And you still haven’t explained how big your curries were. I have legitimate questions over your tikka masala, and I’m THIS close to writing a letter to law enforcement in Betsw y Coed.

And when they fail to reply, I will be on here, every morning, claiming that while we must wait for deliberations from Betsw y Coed, that there are still questions to be answered!
    You'll get a quicker response from the Heddlu Gogledd Cymru if you spelt the town name of Betws-y-Coed correctly.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,308

The Pope criticises "Nato barking at Russia’s gate" and suspects the invasion was "facilitated by the West’s attitude". He also questions whether weapons should be sent to Ukraine.

https://www.corriere.it/cronache/22_maggio_03/pope-francis-putin-e713a1de-cad0-11ec-84d1-341c28840c78.shtml

Disgraceful.

The less said by that kiddy fiddler institution the better it seems.
    I don't agree with what he said, but calling the Pope a "kiddy fiddler" just demonstrates to us all (if we needed further evidence) what an ignorant unpleasant and unthinking right wing bigot you are.
    He didn't call the Pope a kiddy-fiddler, he called the institution a 'kiddy-fiddling institution'. What he said was offensive and crass enough without exaggerating it.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    HYUFD said:

TimT said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

kjh said:

Question for those in the know. Today there were reports on the Alliance coming 2nd in NI. Who becomes deputy then as they are not defined by sectarianism and my understanding is the leader and deputy have to come from either side.

The largest party designating as Unionist. Alliance have done so in the past, but only for short-term tactical reasons.
    So if the Alliance somehow got 51% of the vote but did not designate either way they still would not get either leader or deputy leader positions?
    Would seem to be a bonkers outcome. Presumably they'd designate as unionist for convenience/democratic reasons were they to be runner up as polled. They could then say, "we will try to abolish these stupid sectarian rules now we are in power".
    Someone, I'm ashamed to have forgotten whom, explained on PB the other day that for certain constitutional purposes in NI, anyone who is not a RC is deened to be Protestant. So we get the official UK Government notion of protestant atheists, protestant Muslims, protestant Pagans, protestant Jedi Knights ... I'm not sure if the Alliance are deemed to be protestant non-sectarians on the same logic ...

Edit: I did check the date of the post and it wasn't 1 April. It is just batty enough to be true ...
    That was me….

NI police service - has to be 50/50 Catholic/Protestant.

The peak, perfect moment was when a couple of Eastern Europeans joined the PSNI. They were, of course, Catholic. The Shinners got upset because they were the wrong kind of Catholics. Possibly because immigrants to NI tend not to be Nationalist.

Anyway - the solution was to count them in the Protestant quota. So we have Protestant Catholics.
    Aren't Anglicans Protestant Catholics in the first place technically?
    Aren't christians all part of the one, holy, apostolic, catholic church, just not necessarily the Roman Catholic
    If they are Protestant evangelicals rather than Anglicans they are certainly not part of the Apostolic and Catholic Church, Presbyterians and Baptists do not even have Bishops and reject the doctrine of apostolic succession through Bishops
    apostolic has nothing to do with bishops, that is episcopalian.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

I have not raised it since this morning and reporting on news media interviews and reports is the nature of this forum

You have actually reintroduced it when the narrative has moved on until the media or Durham Police respond to Richard Holden

Richard Holden the local mp is asking legitimate questions and awaiting a response to his letter from Durham Police

Maybe less personal and more address the legitimate questions posed by Kay Burley on Sky this morning
    This story is not journalism, it is an attempt to deflect from the disgraceful behaviour of Johnson and his supporters in No10. It tries to con the public into believing all politicians on all sides are as low as Boris Johnson. It is therefore very toxic.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

I am currently listening to today's Boris Churchill Ukraine speech. Will it benefit the Tories on Thursday?

Well is it me or are there shades of Peppa Pig in this speech? Not the sentiment (which I agree with) but the presentation, the long, long pauses and the odd analogies. Did he forget his notes?

Given the timing of the speech only those in the Bozo cult will believe it’s anything but a desperate attempt to sway a few voters on Thursday .

* calls Boris "Bozo"
    So what cult am I supposed to be in then ? The Bozo cult , call it what you like are those who refuse to see what’s in front of their eyes . He’s a pathological liar without a single principle and not fit to be PM.
    Let’s be charitable and assume Applicant just prefers FLSOJ.
    I prefer calling politicians by their name, or at the very most a convenient abbreviation thereof.

It's no different from "Bliar", "Camoron" or the rest of them - using such terms says much more about the user than the politician.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

I’m just mystified why you’re willing to shred the last remnants of your PB credibility on “Richard Holden’s legitimate questions”.

Only a professional troll would continue a ramping campaign in the manner you have.

And you still haven’t explained how big your curries were. I have legitimate questions over your tikka masala, and I’m THIS close to writing a letter to law enforcement in Betsw y Coed.

And when they fail to reply, I will be on here, every morning, claiming that while we must wait for deliberations from Betsw y Coed, that there are still questions to be answered!
    Dear me, is this the level of debate you have been reduced to

And I would observe you are the one who has reopened it from this morning when it was discussed
  • Options

Disgraceful.

I don't agree with what he said, but calling the Pope a "kiddy fiddler" just demonstrates to us all (if we needed further evidence) what an ignorant unpleasant and unthinking right wing bigot you are.
    He didn't call the Pope a kiddy-fiddler, he called the institution a 'kiddy-fiddling institution'. What he said was offensive and crass enough without exaggerating it.
    Thank you for the clarification, and I did miss the "institution" bit, which actually makes it even more offensive, not less. He is a moron of the first order.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TimT said:

HYUFD said:

TimT said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

kjh said:

Question for those in the know. Today there were reports on the Alliance coming 2nd in NI. Who becomes deputy then as they are not defined by sectarianism and my understanding is the leader and deputy have to come from either side.

The largest party designating as Unionist. Alliance have done so in the past, but only for short-term tactical reasons.
    So if the Alliance somehow got 51% of the vote but did not designate either way they still would not get either leader or deputy leader positions?
    Would seem to be a bonkers outcome. Presumably they'd designate as unionist for convenience/democratic reasons were they to be runner up as polled. They could then say, "we will try to abolish these stupid sectarian rules now we are in power".
    Someone, I'm ashamed to have forgotten whom, explained on PB the other day that for certain constitutional purposes in NI, anyone who is not a RC is deened to be Protestant. So we get the official UK Government notion of protestant atheists, protestant Muslims, protestant Pagans, protestant Jedi Knights ... I'm not sure if the Alliance are deemed to be protestant non-sectarians on the same logic ...

Edit: I did check the date of the post and it wasn't 1 April. It is just batty enough to be true ...
    That was me….

NI police service - has to be 50/50 Catholic/Protestant.

The peak, perfect moment was when a couple of Eastern Europeans joined the PSNI. They were, of course, Catholic. The Shinners got upset because they were the wrong kind of Catholics. Possibly because immigrants to NI tend not to be Nationalist.

Anyway - the solution was to count them in the Protestant quota. So we have Protestant Catholics.
    Aren't Anglicans Protestant Catholics in the first place technically?
    Aren't christians all part of the one, holy, apostolic, catholic church, just not necessarily the Roman Catholic
    If they are Protestant evangelicals rather than Anglicans they are certainly not part of the Apostolic and Catholic Church, Presbyterians and Baptists do not even have Bishops and reject the doctrine of apostolic succession through Bishops
    apostolic has nothing to do with bishops, that is episcopalian.
    I think it does indirectly, because bishopy goodness is handed down the papal line via St Peter the apostle
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

And I would observe you are the one who has reopened it from this morning when it was discussed
    Show me the curry, Big G.

Or at least the empty packet.

Until then, I’m afraid you must be under the cloud of suspicion.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Applicant said:

nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

* calls Boris "Bozo"
    So what cult am I supposed to be in then ? The Bozo cult , call it what you like are those who refuse to see what’s in front of their eyes . He’s a pathological liar without a single principle and not fit to be PM.
    Let’s be charitable and assume Applicant just prefers FLSOJ.
    I prefer calling politicians by their name, or at the very most a convenient abbreviation thereof.

It's no different from "Bliar", "Camoron" or the rest of them - using such terms says much more about the user than the politician.
    He'll always be Phatboi to me
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120

MISTY said:

TimT said:

Seems like wishful thinking - and overconfidence that what comes after will necessarily be better:

Paul Singh
    @Paul1Singh
    ·
    2h
    Rumours are swirling in Moscow that a number of former generals and KGB officials are preparing to oust Putin and plan to end the war in Ukraine, which is increasingly seen across Russia as a strategic mistake and, above all, an economic disaster.

If Boris Johnson can singlehandedly overthrow Putin by Thursday the Conservatives can retain Wandsworth.

Incoming Falklands Factor for GE23, and it was all Boris...according to the Sun, Mail and Express.
    Ukraine is being massively overplayed as an influence on the UK electorate, I think.

Standards of living, energy policy and taxation policy, vice versa.
    Just caught that nice Mr Johnson being interviewed by Labour's Susanna Reid. He has Elsie's energy requirements covered. In response to Susanna commenting that Elsie keeps herself warm by spending all day on the bus, he explains to Red Susanna that "Just to remind you that the 24 hour freedom bus pass was something that I introduced".

Is Susanna a great interviewer or was Boris just overwhelmed by Susanna's luscious legs? Phwoar, ding dong!
    Its a shit answer. Frankly, aside of boosterism in the good times, I think he is terrible at politics.

That said, I'm not sure what the 'right' answer is? We are in a shit situation. A windfall tax would surely help, but so far they have chosen not to do it. He could answer along the lines of what schemes are available for insulation, warm home schemes etc, but whatever he says its an easy hit to say, but she's riding buses to stay warm.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801

Pro_Rata said:

Specifically, what are the unanswered questions relating to the Labour 'event'?
    Skys report from this morning is here

https://news.sky.com/story/durham-police-should-reopen-investigation-into-sir-keir-starmer-lockdown-beers-footage-minister-says-12604490
    She mentions some concerned locals, and asks for police to "Look at it again" with "all the new evidence".

She merely hints at unanswered questions and new evidence. Is there a more direct source as to what that new evidence might be and what questions it raises?
  • Options

MISTY said:

TimT said:

Seems like wishful thinking - and overconfidence that what comes after will necessarily be better:

Paul Singh
    @Paul1Singh
    ·
    2h
    Rumours are swirling in Moscow that a number of former generals and KGB officials are preparing to oust Putin and plan to end the war in Ukraine, which is increasingly seen across Russia as a strategic mistake and, above all, an economic disaster.

If Boris Johnson can singlehandedly overthrow Putin by Thursday the Conservatives can retain Wandsworth.

Incoming Falklands Factor for GE23, and it was all Boris...according to the Sun, Mail and Express.
    Ukraine is being massively overplayed as an influence on the UK electorate, I think.

Just caught that nice Mr Johnson being interviewed by Labour's Susanna Reid. He has Elsie's energy requirements covered. In response to Susanna commenting that Elsie keeps herself warm by spending all day on the bus, he explains to Red Susanna that "Just to remind you that the 24 hour freedom bus pass was something that I introduced".

Is Susanna a great interviewer or was Boris just overwhelmed by Susanna's luscious legs? Phwoar, ding dong!
    Its a shit answer. Frankly, aside of boosterism in the good times, I think he is terrible at politics.

That said, I'm not sure what the 'right' answer is? We are in a shit situation. A windfall tax would surely help, but so far they have chosen not to do it. He could answer along the lines of what schemes are available for insulation, warm home schemes etc, but whatever he says its an easy hit to say, but she's riding buses to stay warm.
    There is no answer that he could have given that wouldn't have seen him criticised by the usual suspects...
  • Options

As an MP he has the absolute right to ask these questions. Its just that he is doing so because he doesn't like the answer given when the other people asked, and he won't like the answer when eventually he receives it.

There is no scandal here, no great conspiracy that Richard Holden is going to force into the open. Just a desperation amongst the Tories to bring the whole of politics down to their level to reduce Tory losses on Thursday just enough to try and cling onto Boris. Thats all it is.
    You may be right but I am not the one who has reopened this mornings debate and with unnecessary personal comments
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Roger said:

OT. Great play on BBC Radio 4 about Clive Ponting and the Sinking of the Belgrano. Even so many years later you still feel like cheering the Jury's verdict.Thatcher might be even more dislikable than Johnson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0016x8x

Ponting deserved the same treatment as John Amery.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Roger said:

Disgraceful.

A generalisation that would embarrass the Daily Mail
    Pope Francis has also condemned Putin and the invasion. It's remarkably brave of him to make the statement above.
    Given much of the developing world where the Roman Catholic church is seeing its main growth is pretty neutral on Putin and Ukraine it is not that surprising either.

It is also not really that controversial, we know NATO expansion to the Russian borders was going to anger the Russians even if it does not excuse the invasion and the more we supply arms rather than just aid to Ukraine and the more we get involved militarily, the more likely a NATO v Russia war becomes
  • Options

I do not like being rude but frankly you are being boring and immature
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881

MISTY said:

TimT said:

Paul Singh
    @Paul1Singh
    ·
    2h

I'll admit that the answer made me smile. To have the chutzpah to even consider pointing that out in response to such a sensitive question...

It's disarming and effective. I can't be the only one to still find him beguiling.
  • Options

Sounds like you are refusing to answer the questions.

Let’s just all accept you are guilty, and leave it there.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Just imagine if BJ had been pictured having a beer in a Tory Constituency office in April 2021, I imagine the response on here would have been vastly different, especially if he lied/ genuine error about Dominic Raab being there.
    You can imagine what you like, but it wouldn't have bothered me. What bothered me was endless parties at No 10.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Specifically, what are the unanswered questions relating to the Labour 'event'?
    Skys report from this morning is here

https://news.sky.com/story/durham-police-should-reopen-investigation-into-sir-keir-starmer-lockdown-beers-footage-minister-says-12604490
    She mentions some concerned locals, and asks for police to "Look at it again" with "all the new evidence".

She merely hints at unanswered questions and new evidence. Is there a more direct source as to what that new evidence might be and what questions it raises?
    I really do not want to continue this mornings debate and let's just wait for Durham's Police response to the letter
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Sadiq Khan, “London stands with women across the United States today”.

What an utter twit.
    Shouldn’t he be campaigning in Wandsworth or something? Perhaps not, from Labour’s perspective!

The Twitter obsession today with leaked news of a US supreme court ruling that has no impact on the UK whatsoever is weird.

I get this is a really important issue for Americans, but it isn't relevant for us. Twitter was somewhat quieter over decades of restrictions on abortion in Northern Ireland or the pretty disgraceful laws the Polish far-right government have enacted recently.
    It is important to us, however, as it might change US politics completely. Until this moment Republicans were cantering to victory in the mid terms and looked set fair, even with Trump, for 2024

A lot of neutral waverers will look at this leaked draft decision and go Democrat in revulsion. It’s a stupid piece of US conservative self harm (tho I accept that for many it involves sincerely held beliefs)

Thank God abortion is not politicised this way in the UK. America also suffers the other extreme: people who practically encourage abortion at all times and have no trouble with abortion on the cusp of birth
    The SC will not care less about the electoral implications, they will rule based on their interpretation of the Constitution.

For hardline Christian conservatives of course stopping abortion is the number 1 issue, even if they can ban it in just a few southern states that will be worth it for them even if it costs the GOP control of Congress given abortion is currently effectively legal without restrictions US wide since Roe v Wade .

We are also not completely immune from the issue, on the recent DIY abortion vote for example most Tory and DUP MPs voted against while most Labour and LD and Nationalist MPs voted for
  • Options

Well, at least one can't accuse him of not being consistent with the 1939 position taken by his predecessor Pius XII.
    The Pope's position seems a bit more nuanced than the headline, but this is not a conflict in which nuance is terribly helpful. There is a clear right and wrong side in this war.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881

Pope has form on this. Has a Corbynite attitude to the Falklands, too (though more understandable given his nationality).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Posts that have aged poorly:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/1339953/#Comment_1339953

She could vote for Trump because she thinks his views on those issues are immaterial - the battle for their rights have been won and the victory is irreversible
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Big claim by Johnson that he thought the Russian effort was doomed before the invasion - or at least unlikely to succeed on their optimistic timescale - and that he was telling everyone he could about this beforehand. I'd like it to be true but as ever with Johnson one has to tread carefully.

It is a big claim but the evidence in the public domain is that it is true.

Boris was saying before the war even began that Putin was going to invade, but that he must fail.

The thing that surprised me in the first day of the war is how forceful Boris was in his response, saying that Putin "must fail, and must be seen to fail" was quite emphatic considering that almost all other received wisdom being quoted was that Putin would succeed within days.

The British and Americans clearly both had very good intelligence about what was going to happen and were closely co-ordinating with the Ukrainians.

So in this one instance, I see no reason not to believe it is true. Other than who is saying the words.
    On a point of order: 'must' is ambiguous.

1 = ought to fail (desire)
    2 = will fail (future tense, arising from logical analysis)

YOur quotation strongly indicates 1 not 2.
    Perhaps
    There's no perhaps about it.

Must beat him and will beat him are completely different, even to liars like you and Boris.
    Not so, Carnyx's point is spot on. We must respect the right of dangerous sex offenders to identify as women,
    Why oh why do men on here have to drag (yep) this site back to vile transphobic comments?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

This story is not journalism, it is an attempt to deflect from the disgraceful behaviour of Johnson and his supporters in No10. It tries to con the public into believing all politicians on all sides are as low as Boris Johnson. It is therefore very toxic.
    As Starmer hasn't disarmed this story yet, you have to start to assume he's a bit shit at politics....
  • Options

Disgraceful.

Had he said that the Pope is antichrist, he would of course, have been correct.
  • Options

I wonder how big Big G’s curries were in April 2021?

I am calling on Llandudno Constabulary to investigate.

You really need to grow up and cut out the personal attacks
    Big G it is a fair comment and not an attack. I made the same point the other day when I said I hadn't broken the law and there was no evidence I had, but should Surrey Police investigate in case I had. Nope they shouldn't.
  • Options

Sounds like you are refusing to answer the questions.

Let’s just all accept you are guilty, and leave it there.
    For the avoidance of doubt I am not off topic you
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

@Heathener - I responded to your Woking post earlier:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3906419#Comment_3906419

Do you have any views on the specific wards in Woking?

I live in Hook Heath, hence my name.

Very quickly:

I reckon Heathlands is going LibDem.

Pyrford looks good for the LibDems. It wasn't a comfortable hold last time.

Byfleet and West Byfleet could be LibDem. Neil Willetts isn't standing again.

p.s. curiously Betfair have now offered me a 100% cash out so if I'm not fancying this, I can get the bet back.
    My walking route goes through Hook Heath, so I'll be sure to wave. :smiley:

I'm not that close to local politics, so I don't have a great feel for what will happen.
    Tbh, nor am I and I'm a Labour voter by inclination although I will vote LibDem or Green if it means defeating tories.

Hook Heath is lovely although marred a little by some of those driving to the golf club (some but not all) and a few cases of vandalism of period properties. Generally rather a nice spot though :)
  • Options

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Big claim by Johnson that he thought the Russian effort was doomed before the invasion - or at least unlikely to succeed on their optimistic timescale - and that he was telling everyone he could about this beforehand. I'd like it to be true but as ever with Johnson one has to tread carefully.

Boris was saying before the war even began that Putin was going to invade, but that he must fail.

The thing that surprised me in the first day of the war is how forceful Boris was in his response, saying that Putin "must fail, and must be seen to fail" was quite emphatic considering that almost all other received wisdom being quoted was that Putin would succeed within days.

The British and Americans clearly both had very good intelligence about what was going to happen and were closely co-ordinating with the Ukrainians.

So in this one instance, I see no reason not to believe it is true. Other than who is saying the words.

Perhaps

Must beat him and will beat him are completely different, even to liars like you and Boris.
    I've never lied about anything here, I have integrity.

But how's your VPN going, have you dealt with the fact that it was compromised yet?
    Was it? How? My VPN is very good, thanks.

You lied about me.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,362

As Starmer hasn't disarmed this story yet, you have to start to assume he's a bit shit at politics....
    Meanwhile, YouGov have done a poll...

NEW: YouGov have just today re-asked this question - changes from January.

Looking back over the lockdown periods, do you think [X] generally did or did not follow lockdown rules?

Boris Johnson
    Did - 21% (+4)
    Did not - 70% (-3)

Keir Starmer
    Did - 42% (+2)
    Did not - 28% (-)

(Changes since January)

https://twitter.com/JMagosh/status/1521493612508422145?t=KBxNSqju_hZdPseHw_yLAw&s=19

All that effort, and the public aren't listening.

Naughty public.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Big G it is a fair comment and not an attack. I made the same point the other day when I said I hadn't broken the law and there was no evidence I had, but should Surrey Police investigate in case I had. Nope they shouldn't.
    As it so happens the only curry we have is made by me at home and not a takeaway
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Tlg86 ... the golf course by the way is fabulous in a) snow and b) lockdown as it meant we all roamed freely. It's beautiful heathland. I wonder if the course is part of your route?

Check out the club house this week: the wisteria is beautiful

(From which, by the way, BR, or is that PT, it's blindingly obvious I'm not a troll)
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545
    HYUFD said:

The SC will not care less about the electoral implications, they will rule based on their interpretation of the Constitution.

ROTFL. The SC is a highly partisan body and they will rule based on politics and then look for reasons why the Constitution supports what they want to say.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120
    Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Perhaps

Not so, Carnyx's point is spot on. We must respect the right of dangerous sex offenders to identify as women,
    Why oh why do men on here have to drag (yep) this site back to vile transphobic comments?
    Is that transphobic? Have not we already had women raped in prisons by other prisoners who have claimed to by women, yet still retain the capacity to rape them?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,905

Disgraceful.

Thank you for the clarification, and I did miss the "institution" bit, which actually makes it even more offensive, not less. He is a moron of the first order.
    I knew someone who suffered all his life because he was abused at a church school. I think BR's comments are fine, given the sh*t performed by the Catholic church (and other churches and religions as well).

Why is 'kiddy-fiddling institution' deserved? Because of the way the abuse was covered up for decades, with priests being moved between diocese rather than being referred to the police. For the way that abuse was condoned by the church. There has bee story after story; tens of thousands of kids - many already with problems - who the church further harmed rather than helped.

Recent popes have gone some way to try to fix these issues. I'm far from convinced they have gone far enough.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

Indeed and when Bartholmew Roberts posted under his name Phillip Thompson he said he would be happy to see the Troubles return to Northern Ireland as a price worth paying for a pure Brexit.

Lovely chap.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I’m pro abortion (pro choice is a euphemism).

But I’m struggling to get worked up over Roe v Wade.

It’s not covered by the constitution, nor by common law, and as far as I can tell the original SC justification was weak.

So let States decide, as ghastly as that must be for the poor women who have to live in said States.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    NY Times has a live blog for today's Ohio primary.

"In recent days, [JD Vance] has accused President Biden of deliberately flooding Ohio with fentanyl, a preposterous charge without evidence.

“In a way,” Giffels said, “he’s kind of selling the victimhood he railed against in [his] book.” "

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/03/us/ohio-indiana-primary-election
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177

He's right - this IS the level of debate. What you and others and the Tories propose is very simple. Gardenwalker makes a baseless complaint against you. The police look at the complaint and the evidence supplied. It is clear there is no case to answer and dismiss the complaint.

"Oh no" says the complainant. "You aren't listening. Big_G is a Bad Man. And because this other person got done for something else you must do him too. There is no evidence, but I and all my friends are making a fuss so clearly an investigation is in the public interest and its for Big_G to provide the evidence to disprove it".

This is a preposterous concept, the polar opposite of how our justice system works. And yet you are demanding its imposition. As I said asked earlier is the world you want for your kids and grandkids? Where baseless evidence-free allegations launch a persecution by the authorities to harass you for acting in a way that the law and the police say is legal?
  • Options
    I’m anti-Catholic. I think it a backward, hierarchical, patriarchal religion. But I think it’s unfair that it is labelled institutional kiddy-fiddling.
  • Options

kjh said:

As it so happens the only curry we have is made by me at home and not a takeaway
    How do we know that? We alledge that you broke lockdown, held takeaway curry parties and partied. There is no evidence to support this, but because we don't like you we demand that the police interview you to see if you can prove otherwise.

You literally have demanded the police interview Starmer. Its the exact same thing.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

Disgraceful.

I knew someone who suffered all his life because he was abused at a church school. I think BR's comments are fine, given the sh*t performed by the Catholic church (and other churches and religions as well).

Why is 'kiddy-fiddling institution' deserved? Because of the way the abuse was covered up for decades, with priests being moved between diocese rather than being referred to the police. For the way that abuse was condoned by the church. There has bee story after story; tens of thousands of kids - many already with problems - who the church further harmed rather than helped.

Recent popes have gone some way to try to fix these issues. I'm far from convinced they have gone far enough.
    The current pope has done something on this issue.

The fact that he had explicitly ban covering up sexual abuse and hiding same from the civil authorities, in the Church, says a lot as to what was going on.
  • Options

He's right - this IS the level of debate. What you and others and the Tories propose is very simple. Gardenwalker makes a baseless complaint against you. The police look at the complaint and the evidence supplied. It is clear there is no case to answer and dismiss the complaint.

"Oh no" says the complainant. "You aren't listening. Big_G is a Bad Man. And because this other person got done for something else you must do him too. There is no evidence, but I and all my friends are making a fuss so clearly an investigation is in the public interest and its for Big_G to provide the evidence to disprove it".

This is a preposterous concept, the polar opposite of how our justice system works. And yet you are demanding its imposition. As I said asked earlier is the world you want for your kids and grandkids? Where baseless evidence-free allegations launch a persecution by the authorities to harass you for acting in a way that the law and the police say is legal?
    To be honest it would benefit everyone if we now wait for Durham Police
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,308
    Sean_F said:

Disgraceful.

Had he said that the Pope is antichrist, he would of course, have been correct.
    Interesting, he always seems quite pro.
  • Options

Why?
  • Options

kjh said:

How do we know that? We alledge that you broke lockdown, held takeaway curry parties and partied. There is no evidence to support this, but because we don't like you we demand that the police interview you to see if you can prove otherwise.

You literally have demanded the police interview Starmer. Its the exact same thing.
    Not me - Richard Holden is leading this issue
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,964
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

OT. Great play on BBC Radio 4 about Clive Ponting and the Sinking of the Belgrano. Even so many years later you still feel like cheering the Jury's verdict.Thatcher might be even more dislikable than Johnson

Having a lot of hard righters blubbing about how he was hard done by?

Ponting supported Scottish Indy latterly, doubtless you feel he should also be strung up post mortem for that.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Ponting supported Scottish Indy latterly, doubtless you feel he should also be strung up post mortem for that.
    I get John Amery and Dick Emery mixed up.
  • Options

Why?
    It will take the matter forward
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Clearly not an admirer of the jury system. That's quite an admission for a solicitor.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

@Heathener - I responded to your Woking post earlier:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3906419#Comment_3906419

Do you have any views on the specific wards in Woking?

I live in Hook Heath, hence my name.

Very quickly:

I reckon Heathlands is going LibDem.

Pyrford looks good for the LibDems. It wasn't a comfortable hold last time.

Byfleet and West Byfleet could be LibDem. Neil Willetts isn't standing again.

p.s. curiously Betfair have now offered me a 100% cash out so if I'm not fancying this, I can get the bet back.
    My walking route goes through Hook Heath, so I'll be sure to wave. :smiley:

I'm not that close to local politics, so I don't have a great feel for what will happen.
    Delivered in Hook Heath a number of times and twice I have come face to face with wildlife on turning a corner such that we were only a couple of feet apart. Once a fox and another time a stag. Both times fantastic as you both just stop and stare at each other until one of you moves. I always stay still to saviour the moment. In the case of the fox it was a female lactating. It stared at me for a few minutes before having a pee and then sauntering off.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245

Heathener said:

Disgraceful.

Indeed and when Bartholmew Roberts posted under his name Phillip Thompson he said he would be happy to see the Troubles return to Northern Ireland as a price worth paying for a pure Brexit.

Lovely chap.
    You are out of order for doxxing @BartholomewRoberts

Shameful
    I think Barty Bobbins is a total ratbag.
    But I agree, we need to maintain this standard.

Mods might want to consider this issue.
    Bollocks. I don't agree with doxxing people but the mods to do what? @Heathener has taken almost consistent abuse on here for a number of reasons, been called a liar, troll, you name it.

And now the PB blokes deem that she has crossed the line by using the name of a poster that he himself only stopped using relatively recently.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    Alistair said:

Posts that have aged poorly:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/1339953/#Comment_1339953

She could vote for Trump because she thinks his views on those issues are immaterial - the battle for their rights have been won and the victory is irreversible

Christ, that's worse than Roger's 'No' to Obama succeeding Bush 43.

The PB Rogerdamus award is now renamed the TimTdamus award,
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

Butd he could have cooked it at some other date than specified. We need date stamped movies, with the LLandudno Observer newspaper of the day, filed immediately with a commissioner of oaths. Nothing more will do, for BigG has very high standards of truth and I'm sure he would apply them to himself with equal facility.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Disgraceful.

Lovely chap.

Shameful

Bollocks. I don't agree with doxxing people but the mods to do what? @Heathener has taken almost consistent abuse on here for a number of reasons, been called a liar, troll, you name it.

And now the PB blokes deem that she has crossed the line by using the name of a poster that he himself only stopped using relatively recently.
    Well, we have to take Barty Bobbins in good faith that he no longer wishes to use his former name. Recency doesn’t come into it.

I personally have no issue with @Heathener, but I think it is a sensible rule for all of us to see followed.
  • Options
    Roberts confirms authenticity of draft Dobbs opinion, says it doesn't represent anyone's final position. He has directed Supreme Court marshal to investigate. "The work of the Court will not be affected in any way."

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1521509448480702464
  • Options
    Leon said:

It’s not covered by the constitution, nor by common law, and as far as I can tell the original SC justification was weak.

So let States decide, as ghastly as that must be for the poor women who have to live in said States.

I agree. I’m also highly pro-choice but if you actually look at the leaked, draft decision, it has merit. There is nothing in the US constitution which says women have a basic right to terminate a fetus. Finessing this as a right to privacy is bogus

The voters must decide in individual states, that’s democracy. Equally, democracy allows the president and senate to pass a law explicitly allowing abortion everywhere if they have enough votes in DC

Agreed (plus if the House votes for it too so it passes into Federal law)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Disgraceful.

Lovely chap.

Shameful

He hasn't to my knowledge, attempted to pretend he is not one and same person. Who the fuck cares anyway. There is a bloke who's real name is a name which might be held by quite a large number of contrarian right wing bigots across the country. Thompson isn't exactly an uncommon name.
  • Options

Why?
    It will take the matter forward
    Except there is no “matter”, except a baseless smear by allies of the PM.

Which for some reason you keep highlighting.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Nigelb said:

"Why not peace with Hitler?"
    "Arm Britain and prolong war"
    "Lend-lease, lose-lives"
    "Europe for Europeans, America for Americans"
    "Stay out of South America, Europe, War"

Videotape of an anti-war march in NYC July 7, 1941. Pretty much the same arguments as the ones we hear today

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1521477751210971140

Well they did stay out of it until the Japanese attacked them, so clearly the march worked.
    Given Lend Lease had already been enacted, and the supply of arms to Britain continued, that's an interesting assertion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ROTFL. The SC is a highly partisan body and they will rule based on politics and then look for reasons why the Constitution supports what they want to say.
    Indeed so, and this dates back to (at least) Roe v Wade - the actual constitutional justification for that ruling was thin - at best.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,733
    Applicant said:

nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

* calls Boris "Bozo"

I don’t hate all Tories ! Just pathological liars which seems to be most of the current cabinet barring a few like Ben Wallace who has done a good job .
  • Options

I’m anti-Catholic. I think it a backward, hierarchical, patriarchal religion. But I think it’s unfair that it is labelled institutional kiddy-fiddling.

Fair enough.

I'm not particularly anti-Catholic - I'm not particularly anti- any religion. If people wish to worship, fair enough - as long as it does not affect others.

But the long list of crimes committed by the Catholic church, and the vastly-delayed apologies for them that are still being made - is too long to suggest anything other than wilful acts by the church. The list of scandals from all around the world is long, from Canada (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/28/pope-canada-indigenous-schools-apology-abuse-children) to Australia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases_in_Australia )

How on earth can you claim that the church was not complicit in what was going on? Even cardinals such as Bernard Francis Law covered up allegations for years, and was promoted to the Vatican to protect him.

Knowledge of what was going went right to the top, and so did the cover-ups.

(Again, the Catholic church is not the only offender.)
  • Options

Disgraceful.

I didn't call the Pope a kiddy fiddler. Do you think the Pope is an institution?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I agree. I’m also highly pro-choice but if you actually look at the leaked, draft decision, it has merit. There is nothing in the US constitution which says women have a basic right to terminate a fetus. Finessing this as a right to privacy is bogus

The voters must decide in individual states, that’s democracy. Equally, democracy allows the president and senate to pass a law explicitly allowing abortion everywhere if they have enough votes in DC

There was a suggestion yesterday that gay sex and gay marriage might also lose their protection.

I feel differently about gay sex, and possibly marriage too, as I feel (I am not a lawyer) that such are protected either by the constitution or by indeed by common law rights.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Disgraceful.

Lovely chap.

Shameful

Point 1: S/he is a troll - just this afternoon alone s/he has played the transphobia card and made at least one blatantly sexist comment.
    Point 2: BR's request to not have his real name used is entirely proper and should be respected by everyone.
    Point 3: What does PB "blokes" have to do with anything?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

* calls Boris "Bozo"

I don’t hate all Tories !
    Pull the other one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

theakes said:

Greens have a good night? What about the Lib Dems? They are keeping their counsel but I hear things are going well, Hull, Sheffield, Barnsley, Sunderland, Wokingham etc etc.
    Greens may have more gains because they start from a miniscule base but on total votes could be outdone 3 -1.

I doubt the LDs will gain many seats in the North, the Southeast is their best prospect
    I'm surprised how few candidates the LDs are standing in the Northeast. I think even the Greens are standing more candidates. They seem to be only concentrating on the parts of Newcastle, Gateshead and Sunderland where they already have seats.

The Greens could actually do surprisingly well as a protest vote in the Northeast because they are the only alternative to Lab and Con in a bunch of wards.
  • Options

I am part Irish, and was brought up RC. I think your view is perhaps simplistic, but not without some merit, but also applies to other religions to a greater or lesser extent. The type of bollocks "Barty" puts out is in a long tradition of English anti-Catholic/ anti-Irish bigotry that dates back centuries and I can smell it a mile off. It is not that dissimilar to anti-Semitism and it stinks.
  • Options

Leon said:

There was a suggestion yesterday that gay sex and gay marriage might also lose their protection.

I feel differently about gay sex, and possibly marriage too, as I feel (I am not a lawyer) that such are protected either by the constitution or by indeed by common law rights.
    Gay marriage was upheld under the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the 14th amendment of the constitution.

There doesn't seem to be as much desire from SC justices to reinterpret that as Roe v Wade

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

It made me want to retch. I suspect that will be the feeling of most who don't like him. Only his biggest fans would believe it was other than trying to aggrandise himself. That's the thing about lying to the public. Everything is now viewed through that prism and he can do nothing about it.
  • Options

I am part Irish, and was brought up RC. I think your view is perhaps simplistic, but not without some merit, but also applies to other religions to a greater or lesser extent. The type of bollocks "Barty" puts out is in a long tradition of English anti-Catholic/ anti-Irish bigotry that dates back centuries and I can smell it a mile off. It is not that dissimilar to anti-Semitism and it stinks.
    Oh bollocks.

Organised religion is a pox on the world and one we'd be better off without. The Catholic Church is one of the worst and the way it prioritised protecting its priests over their victims is endemic to it's rottenness.

My atheism may be militant but how is it bigotry.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,733
    Applicant said:

nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

Applicant said:

nico679 said:

* calls Boris "Bozo"

I don’t hate all Tories !
    Pull the other one.
    Believe what you like ! There are quite a few that I think are okay.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    Applicant said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Disgraceful.

Lovely chap.

Shameful

Point 1: S/he is a troll - just this afternoon alone s/he has played the transphobia card and made at least one blatantly sexist comment.
    Point 2: BR's request to not have his real name used is entirely proper and should be respected by everyone.
    Point 3: What does PB "blokes" have to do with anything?
    1. She is not a troll she makes various comments which some people agree with some of the time and some disagree with some of the time.
    2. Fine but sometimes people feel so f*cked off they can't be bothered with "the rules". Ask **** or ****** or even *****. They seem to carry on posting with impunity.
    3. PB blokes has much to do with it because if you notice, many male posters are pretty shall we say "forceful" when they think the "opposing" poster is a woman.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

I didn't call the Pope a kiddy fiddler. Do you think the Pope is an institution?
    I miss read your post. You were actually being even more bigoted. You are a thick, bigoted, right wing twat, who writes uninformed childishly incoherent, politically immature crap that would be deemed too lowbrow for a sixth form debating society. I am going to sign off before I say something really offensive and get myself banned.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lennon said:

By far the most significant contest is the Stormont election. The locals on mainland GB won't have any lasting national effect one way or the other.

Totally agree. Unfortunately the parochialism of the GB (London/Salford) media means that it's the one that will get the least comment and attention sadly.
    Did you see the latest poll? DUP and APNI level on 18.2%!
    Lucidtalk however has it SF 26% DUP 20% Alliance 14% and UUP 14% and SDLP 10% and TUV 9%

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1521267491258916871?s=20&t=TJayhDM2TPWL82rU2c8KkA
    I think it will be more like DUP 20% Alliance 15%. DUP vote has actually been remarkably stable at about 20% for a while now. I don't know how it will play out with transfers but I think 24 seats is the best case scenario for the DUP and I don't see Sinn Fein getting less than 25 seats. I think the SDLP is most interesting because they might defy gravity in quite a few seats and benefit from transfers.

I don't know about Alliance, I would probably guess about 15 seats.

The UUP seems to have petered out although they could plausibly get a 2nd seat in Upper Bann at the expense of Diane Dodds and end up 2 seats net.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

The current pope has done something on this issue.

The fact that he had explicitly ban covering up sexual abuse and hiding same from the civil authorities, in the Church, says a lot as to what was going on.
    Yes, I've generally been impressed by Pope Francis (and have said so on here passim). I don't agree with what he said today - but generally he seems to be trying to steer the supertanker of the Catholic Church towards the calm seas of the modern world. I wish him luck.

But he himself is an elderly man, as are most of his cardinals (most are in their 70s, 80s and 90s, and the youngest is 55). The world, and its attitude to abuse in general, and particularly child abuse, has changed radically (for the better) in the last few decades. The the last Magdalene laundry closed in 1996.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,801

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

When discussing politics, Julian Amery is the one I think of - must be my age.
  • Options
    On topic, bring back Dame Shirley Porter.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

He has been challanged on one thing in the last 12 months and has failed completely to deal with it and even lied. Being PM means you are challenged every single day and every single thing you say/do is put under the microscope.
    If he becomes PM he will hate it and will struggle with the media frenzy enormously.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

I miss read your post. You were actually being even more bigoted. You are a thick, bigoted, right wing twat, who writes uninformed childishly incoherent, politically immature crap that would be deemed too lowbrow for a sixth form debating society. I am going to sign off before I say something really offensive and get myself banned.
    Why is he being bigoted? And why do you find it necessary to so rudely and stridently defend an institution that has harboured, aided and abetted abuse of all types?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,125
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Sadiq Khan, “London stands with women across the United States today”.

What an utter twit.
    Shouldn’t he be campaigning in Wandsworth or something? Perhaps not, from Labour’s perspective!

The Twitter obsession today with leaked news of a US supreme court ruling that has no impact on the UK whatsoever is weird.

I get this is a really important issue for Americans, but it isn't relevant for us. Twitter was somewhat quieter over decades of restrictions on abortion in Northern Ireland or the pretty disgraceful laws the Polish far-right government have enacted recently.
    It is important to us, however, as it might change US politics completely. Until this moment Republicans were cantering to victory in the mid terms and looked set fair, even with Trump, for 2024

A lot of neutral waverers will look at this leaked draft decision and go Democrat in revulsion. It’s a stupid piece of US conservative self harm (tho I accept that for many it involves sincerely held beliefs)

Thank God abortion is not politicised this way in the UK. America also suffers the other extreme: people who practically encourage abortion at all times and have no trouble with abortion on the cusp of birth
    That last bit looks to me like straining for balance when there really isn't a great deal of it to be had on this one - but otherwise, a very solid post imo. I too think the striking down of Roe Wade is of importance outside America. And I too think it might well backfire on the Republicans. And I too am glad abortion isn't a hot political issue here.
  • Options

Fair enough.

I'm not particularly anti-Catholic - I'm not particularly anti- any religion. If people wish to worship, fair enough - as long as it does not affect others.

But the long list of crimes committed by the Catholic church, and the vastly-delayed apologies for them that are still being made - is too long to suggest anything other than wilful acts by the church. The list of scandals from all around the world is long, from Canada (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/28/pope-canada-indigenous-schools-apology-abuse-children) to Australia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases_in_Australia )

How on earth can you claim that the church was not complicit in what was going on? Even cardinals such as Bernard Francis Law covered up allegations for years, and was promoted to the Vatican to protect him.

I think the Catholic hierarchy have been complicit, yes. I just don’t want to label the whole institution which includes millions of decent priests and worshippers.

(And again, I am anti-catholic, or perhaps more accurately, anti having a pope).
  • Options

He has been challanged on one thing in the last 12 months and has failed completely to deal with it and even lied. Being PM means you are challenged every single day and every single thing you say/do is put under the microscope.
    If he becomes PM he will hate it and will struggle with the media frenzy enormously.
    This is legitimate criticism.
    Keir needs to get his shit together.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,652
    edited May 2022

Fair enough.

I think the Catholic hierarchy have been complicit, yes. I just don’t want to label the whole institution which includes millions of decent priests and worshippers.

(And again, I am anti-catholic, or perhaps more accurately, anti having a pope).
    If the heirarchy has been complicit then the institution has been complicit.

That doesn't mean every individual within the institution has been.

When the Police were found to be institutionally racist, did that mean that every single decent officer was racist? Or that the institution was, including some dodgy ones who were able to get away with it due to the heirarchy?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Disgraceful.

Lovely chap.

Shameful

Agreed. I got doxxed a few weeks back - suddenly found myself reading a post from someone using my name and image off Facebook. Mods did a great job removing it quickly...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
  • Options

Fair enough.

IMV it's somewhat like calling the Metropolitan Police 'institutionally racist'. It does not mean that all police are racist, or those who support the police. It just means the organisation has issues that leads it to do poor behaviour *as a whole*.

My friend was abused as a child in a foreign country. He told his family. They chose to believe the priests at the school. It was not just the fact there was an abuser: his abuse was covered up by the school, and even his family chose religion over the truth.

(There was an investigation into the school a few years back, and I think a successful - belated - prosecution. Too late for my friend.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Leon said:

This decision arguably allows such a vote to ban abortion nationwide, too.
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1521311115392737280
    If the Alito opinion savaging Roe and Casey ends up being the Opinion of the Court, it will unravel many basic rights beyond abortion and will go further than returning the issue to the states: It will enable a GOP Congress to enact a nationwide ban on abortion and contraception.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

When discussing politics, Julian Amery is the one I think of - must be my age.
    I am 43, but my father was born in 1935 and my children born in the 2010s.

My span of reference is therefore freakily long.

I know who John Amery and Lord Haw-haw are, also Dick Emery, “Julian and Sandy”, and Richard O’Sullivan, but also Lorraine Kelly, Megan Thee Stallion, and Bruno from “Encanto”.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

This decision arguably allows such a vote to ban abortion nationwide, too.
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1521311115392737280
    If the Alito opinion savaging Roe and Casey ends up being the Opinion of the Court, it will unravel many basic rights beyond abortion and will go further than returning the issue to the states: It will enable a GOP Congress to enact a nationwide ban on abortion and contraception.

No shit, Sherlock.
    That’s just a corollary of removing SC protection.

Given polling; I’d love to see the GOP try.
This discussion has been closed.