Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Tiverton & Honiton LDs start as odds on favourite – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited May 2022 in General
imageThe Tiverton & Honiton LDs start as odds on favourite – politicalbetting.com

Who would have thought only 6 days ago that we would be having a by-election in the Devon seat of Tiverton and Honiton with the LDs as red hot favourites? The pace and the betting has been quite extraordinary given that at GE2019 the LDs came in third 46% behind the Tories.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    First!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nul valeur par la
  • Options
    Leon, if you still have your rental, drive up to Pass Manchac and check out Middendorf's.

Classic Louisiana seafood restaurant, and very atmospheric setting, on a narrow strip of land separating Lake Pontchartrain from Lake Maurepas, about 30 miles from New Orleans.

Another suggestion is Rocky & Carlos in Chalmette, just east of NO, very old-school bar & restaurant, semi-cafeteria really, used to love their oyster po'boys which were the BEST in the world.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,760
    A computer created this non-existent photo of a non-existent muddy dog

Now, imagine the chaos when this AI is let loose on human faces and bodies. Because it will happen, despite all the precautions taken. This tech is too powerful to be stopped

So you could type in the prompt:

“A realistic photo of Keir Starmer gorging on caviar and cocaine in a Labour Party office, during lockdown”

Or

“A realistic photo of a naked Boris Johnson being masturbated in the Cabinet Office by three naked ballet dancers on a tractor”

Or much much worse

This is going to cause unbelievable chaos. Truth is over. Art is imperilled
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    It depends on the candidates and if the conservatives parachute Frost in it would be a self inflicted own goal and even I would vote Lib Dem if I had a vote
  • Options

Leon, if you still have your rental, drive up to Pass Manchac and check out Middendorf's.

Classic Louisiana seafood restaurant, and very atmospheric setting, on a narrow strip of land separating Lake Pontchartrain from Lake Maurepas, about 30 miles from New Orleans.

Another suggestion is Rocky & Carlos in Chalmette, just east of NO, very old-school bar & restaurant, semi-cafeteria really, used to love their oyster po'boys which were the BEST in the world.

Car returned, I’m afraid!

The photo was taken around Jackson Sq, as I walked towards Preservation Hall. I was a bit squiffy, having been wined and dined by New Orleans Tourism, so I can’t be more precise
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

It depends on the candidates and if the conservatives parachute Frost in it would be a self inflicted own goal and even I would vote Lib Dem if I had a vote

Well, yes, candidate selection will be important.

Will the Greens put up a fight here or effectively "pass" the seat to the LDs knowing it will be abolished within two years?

Other possibles - Sarah Wollaston, Claire Wright?

For the LDs, getting a toehold back in a region of former strength will be important for future campaigning.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    edited May 2022
    Intderesting comment from Ms Sturgeon at the end of the report:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/01/ukraine-war-will-not-affect-independence-poll-says-sturgeon

'Scotland elects councillors by proportional representation, making coalitions and minority administrations the norm, but Scottish Labour leader, Anas Sarwar, has ruled out deals with other parties.

“What that says to me,” she [Ms S] said, “is that Anas Sarwar is a politician deep in opposition mindset, that he is not somebody who is yet anywhere close to thinking about what it means to be in power and take responsibility”.

“In an STV election, if you have that position then you’re effectively freezing yourself in opposition.”'

Either that or Mr Sarwar is fibbing, given his support for the Labour councillors in Aberdeen in serious party trouble for joining with the Tories contrary to party policy (but condoned by Mr S when he took over as branch manager of Slab from Mr Leonard).

He might get a few majorities for Labour - but I can't see it making much difference, unless he is as I say fibbing about cooperation ("We'll cooperate with the Tories" does not gain votes); otherwise, it's a high risk approach if taken on face value.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Leon said:

Now, imagine the chaos when this AI is let loose on human faces and bodies. Because it will happen, despite all the precautions taken. This tech is too powerful to be stopped

“A realistic photo of Keir Starmer gorging on caviar and cocaine in a Labour Party office, during lockdown”

Or

“A realistic photo of a naked Boris Johnson being masturbated in the Cabinet Office by three naked ballet dancers on a tractor”

Or much much worse

Even as a fabricated construction the first scenario would be career ending for Starmer. The second scenario would simply enhance the mythological nature of the Johnsonian legend.

Labour are going to get absolutely smashed in Brexiteer Wakefield, but the LDs are going to pull off another North Shropshire in Tiverton and Honiton.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

You've been able to mock up such images with software like Photoshop for decades. Why no such chaos hitherto?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I failed to predict A&C and North Salop, but I’m not terribly confident of Lib Dem chances.

This is pretty much on the same scale as North Salop, and requires significant Tory abstention.

I’d have the odds as 60% Tory, 40% LD.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201

First!

Unlike the Tories? :lol:
  • Options
    Leon said:

The photo was taken around Jackson Sq, as I walked towards Preservation Hall. I was a bit squiffy, having been wined and dined by New Orleans Tourism, so I can’t be more precise
    Well, in that case my best suggestions are:

> Have morning cafe au lait with beignets at Cafe du Monde, the one in the Market by Jackson Square.

> Take the St Charles streetcar at least as far as Audubon Park & back. And on the way, sign this classic New Orleans song:

They All Asked ("Axed") for You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCJIlOOg9Y

I went on down to the Audubon Zoo
    And they all axed for you
    Yeah, they all axed for you
    They even inquired about ya!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Will the Greens put up a fight here or effectively "pass" the seat to the LDs knowing it will be abolished within two years?

For the LDs, getting a toehold back in a region of former strength will be important for future campaigning.
    In the LD Top 20 targets for 2024, only two (Wells, St Ives) are in the SW.
  • Options

Leon said:

> Have morning cafe au lait with beignets at Cafe du Monde, the one in the Market by Jackson Square.

> Take the St Charles streetcar at least as far as Audubon Park & back. And on the way, sign this classic New Orleans song:

Audubon Zoo is well worthwhile, I have fond memories of running around Audubon Park.

The mansions on St Charles Avenue are also a must see.

Recommended reading while in NOLA: A Confederacy of Dunces.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

Let's see "the realistic photo of a muddy dog gorging on caviar and cocaine in a Labour Party office, during lockdown" first, and then we can decide just how imperilled we are.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    2 posts and Pickford!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    My other recommendation for NOLA is to avoid breakfast altogether as it’ll weigh you down so much you won’t be able to do anything all morning.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,358

stodge said:

Though presumably that's because Brexit Because Fish.

And the fishermen Brexit Betrayal kicked in fairly early on.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    dixiedean said:

2 posts and Pickford!

He may have kept you up there. Will it be LEEDS which go down?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

stodge said:

That's how you start rebuilding - with a council base and an MP who can re-start or start effort in neighbouring seats such as Devon North which went sharply backwards in 2019 but is a marginal on 2017 numbers.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,386
    edited May 2022
    Afternoon all.

Is PB being eirenic today, or are we a sack of ferrets?

Interesting stuff about how we must *not* pay any attention to the media coverage concerning Starmer / Rayner breaking the law as "there is nothing to see here", whilst it was mainly a media campaign that made the police investigate Johnson et al.

Also some quite strange coverage on this 'misogyny' stuff, and Westminster.

On Sky this morning when Anum Qaisar MP was chiselling away about how sexual harassment is a man on woman thing. She didn't seem to know that the two MPs from her Parliamentary group a week or so ago who have reportedly had sexual harassment complaints upheld against them (subject to Appeal) comprise one man Patrick Grady MP and one woman frontbencher Patricia Gibson MP, both for sexually harassing a male member of staff.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sexual-harassment-complaints-against-snp-mps-are-upheld-dlb7dfwjf

If we don't watch it we will end up with systems defined by and for people like Caroline Noakes - committee chair, rather than the all actual human beings who get sexually harassed, which includes both sexes. A serious blind spot that needs attention, there - imo.

ie politics as usual. :smile:

• Options
    edited May 2022

stodge said:

Possibly so.

I imagine the LDs have a lot of sentimental interest in the SW, but all the opportunity is in the SE for them now.

Top 20 targets

12 SE
    1 Midlands
    1 East
    1 Scotland
    1 Wales
    2 North
    2 SW

(I have included Winchester in SE and Cheltenham in the Midlands)
  • Options
    Thanks for the piece, Mike.

Will the Tories take these campaigns reasonably seriously, do you think?

Presumably a local candidate from them.
  • Options

Leon said:

Audubon Zoo is well worthwhile, I have fond memories of running around Audubon Park.

Classic New Orleans "novel".

Also recommend "Bienville's Dilemma: A Historical Geography of New Orleans" by Richard Campanella, chock-full of fascinating facts & insights.

Another good 'un is "Life of a Klansman" by Ed Ball, which is a biography (of sorts) of old-school, 19th-century KKKer from NO.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    dixiedean said:

2 posts and Pickford!

Amazing saves
  • Options

Leon said:

Also recommend "Bienville's Dilemma: A Historical Geography of New Orleans" by Richard Campanella, chock-full of fascinating facts & insights.

Another good 'un is "Life of a Klansman" by Ed Ball, which is a biography (of sorts) of old-school, 19th-century KKKer from NO.
    I put an S on that Ball - for a moment.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

stodge said:

Possibly so.

I imagine the LDs have a lot of sentimental interest in the SW, but all the opportunity is in the SE for them now.

Top 20 targets

12 SE
    1 Midlands
    1 East
    1 Scotland
    1 Wales
    2 North
    2 SW

Does that sentimentality not come from the old rump of the Liberal Party - a party which tragically no longer exists because I think they could be cleaning up right now.
  • Options

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

You've been able to mock up such images with software like Photoshop for decades. Why no such chaos hitherto?
    No. This is in a different universe to Photoshop. You don’t understand
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379

I failed to predict A&C and North Salop, but I’m not terribly confident of Lib Dem chances.

This is pretty much on the same scale as North Salop, and requires significant Tory abstention.

I have to agree. Tiverton never was a close Libdem target, even in their hayday. The less said about Honiton the better. I would have said the odds on a labour vistory in Wakefield should be much higher than LD in Tiv.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,966
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I've also heard that voice AI is coming along rapidly, and while it's not as good as impressionists yet it continues to improve and wil make it difficult for such to make a living.
  • Options

Leon said:

I have the second one, picked up from a bookshop in the French Quarter. I have that Storyville book as well, somewhere.
    (Shipping my library to New York was considered absurd but now it’s here, it’s a joy).

New Orleans is the Liverpool of America.
    These cities - also Marseilles, Naples, Havana, perhaps even Hamburg - are always fascinating.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

stodge said:

Possibly so.

Top 20 targets

12 SE
    1 Midlands
    1 East
    1 Scotland
    1 Wales
    2 North
    2 SW

Does that sentimentality not come from the old rump of the Liberal Party - a party which tragically no longer exists because I think they could be cleaning up right now.
    I am not sure there is latent, pent-up liberalism among the lace-making wives of Honiton.

Sadly (for me), liberalism only seems to attract 10% of a modern electorate, regardless of what you call yourself.
  • Options

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

Let's see "the realistic photo of a muddy dog gorging on caviar and cocaine in a Labour Party office, during lockdown" first, and then we can decide just how imperilled we are.
    Yes please!! And another of the hound "watching tractor porn on the green benches" too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    @Gerashchenko_en
    ⚡️We received confirmation of yesterday's explosion in #Izium (Eastern 🇺🇦) near 🇷🇺 headquarters. It is known that 🇷🇺 Head of General Staff Gerasimov was there to lead attack on #Sloviansk.

Large number of casualties among senior 🇷🇺 officers has been confirmed.

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1520734072418545664
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

I have to agree. Tiverton never was a close Libdem target, even in their hayday. The less said about Honiton the better. I would have said the odds on a labour vistory in Wakefield should be much higher than LD in Tiv.
    Admittedly different boundaries but they have got within 2000 in the 90s
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Chief of Gen. Staff of RAF Gen. Valeriy Gerasimov wounded in Ukr war.

• Options

Leon said:

I have the second one, picked up from a bookshop in the French Quarter. I have that Storyville book as well, somewhere.
    (Shipping my library to New York was considered absurd but now it’s here, it’s a joy).

These cities - also Marseilles, Naples, Havana, perhaps even Hamburg - are always fascinating.
    There are many more of these great multifarious port cities. Veracruz. Kochin. Hong Kong! (as was). Thessaloniki. Melaka. Odesa (sob)
  • Options

Haha!
    Wasn’t it predicted just a few days ago that sending him to Izium was tantamount to a death sentence?
  • Options
    Putin is not winning there.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Thinking of getting a new iPad, is it worth getting the Pro these days or if the M1 Air good enough?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MaxPB said:

Thinking of getting a new iPad, is it worth getting the Pro these days or if the M1 Air good enough?

The magic keyboard for the new Pro is amazing and frustrating at the same time

It is annoying you can’t turn the iPad into a book with a cover - you have to detach the tablet - but the same keyboard turns it into a completely acceptable laptop replacement

On the whole: worth it. I’d say
  • Options
    Speaking of St Charles Ave in New Orleans, worked for a guy whose aunt & uncle lived in one of those big houses during the 1950s and 1960s.

On one memorable occasion, uncle came home from work to find aunt in tears. Because an couple of NO police had stopped by, because she'd wracked up an impressive number of unpaid parking tickets!

This visit upset the lady, and the fact that the cops had come to his home in his absence, questioning and scaring his wife, enraged my friends uncle.

Uncle belonged to a rather exclusive, old-school NO gentleman's club. No hanky-panky (except for some slot machines & poker playing) but with well-stocked (and well-used) bar.

Happened that the Mayor of New Orleans, deLesseps (Cheep) Morrison, was also a member. So uncle determined that he'd go down to the club, wait for His Honor to make is appearance - then shoot the son of a bitch!

My friend, a college student at the time, was staying with his uncle & aunt during a school break. He'd been out while all this was transpiring, and when he got back, his aunt told him what was going down.

So he hightailed it down to the club. When he got there, the attendants or whatever they called them, told him that "Mr Stanley" (his first name btw in Deep South fashion) was at the bar in a dangerous state. "I'm gonna killed the god-damn sonofabitch" he kept muttering into his drink(s).

Fortunately my friend was able to coax his uncle to return home BEFORE the mayor showed.

BTW, had ANOTHER friend, from somewhat different social strata, who got arrested around the same period, on suspicion for having murdered the mayor's mistress. Fortunately for him, turned out someone else had done that deed.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

I think the LDs will win in T and H and should be odds on at the start; but if they get much shorter the value will be with backing the Tories, who are certainly not impossibles. Also who stands and which parties will make a difference.

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201

Rumour in Tallinn that the Ukrainians got really close this time. Rumour now is that he has left UA for Moscow, because its simply too dangerous to leave him in theatre: twenty Russian officers now said killed after attack on forward HQ in Izyum.

Huge if true.
  • Options

Speaking of St Charles Ave in New Orleans, worked for a guy whose aunt & uncle lived in one of those big houses during the 1950s and 1960s.

On one memorable occasion, uncle came home from work to find aunt in tears. Because an couple of NO police had stopped by, because she'd wracked up an impressive number of unpaid parking tickets!

This visit upset the lady, and the fact that the cops had come to his home in his absence, questioning and scaring his wife, enraged my friends uncle.

Uncle belonged to a rather exclusive, old-school NO gentleman's club. No hanky-panky (except for some slot machines & poker playing) but with well-stocked (and well-used) bar.

Happened that the Mayor of New Orleans, deLesseps (Cheep) Morrison, was also a member. So uncle determined that he'd go down to the club, wait for His Honor to make is appearance - then shoot the son of a bitch!

My friend, a college student at the time, was staying with his uncle & aunt during a school break. He'd been out while all this was transpiring, and when he got back, his aunt told him what was going down.

So he hightailed it down to the club. When he got there, the attendants or whatever they called them, told him that "Mr Stanley" (his first name btw in Deep South fashion) was at the bar in a dangerous state. "I'm gonna killed the god-damn sonofabitch" he kept muttering into his drink(s).

Fortunately my friend was able to coax his uncle to return home BEFORE the mayor showed.

BTW, had ANOTHER friend, from somewhat different social strata, who got arrested around the same period, on suspicion for having murdered the mayor's mistress. Fortunately for him, turned out someone else had done that deed.

Do you know the origin of the deep frying tradition in the South? It’s not a lie, they really do deep fry A LOT

I had some deep fried oysters last night. Hmm. Not bad. But I’d not choose to have them again. Give me them raw and salty please

I wonder if it is the heat down here. Making food go off quicker? If you deep fry something you can murder a lot of bugs and disguise a lot of rot, and deep fried food can then keep for a while…
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,358

stodge said:

Possibly so.

Top 20 targets

12 SE
    1 Midlands
    1 East
    1 Scotland
    1 Wales
    2 North
    2 SW

Fully agree about strategy for 2024. If the Yellow Peril go for this, it will be as a tactical smash'n'grab. History says that the Libs enjoy those, and recent history suggests that they might be getting good at them again.

And the double (or at least overlapping) by-elections help. One can imagine an off-the-record conversation in a gloomy Westminster bar;

"You know, it's so frustrating that we don't have the activists to put on a good show in Wakefield."

"Tell me about it, it's just the same for us in Devon."

Definitely not a deal, in case Oliver Dowden is listening. Good heavens no.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

There are many more of these great multifarious port cities. Veracruz. Kochin. Hong Kong! (as was). Thessaloniki. Melaka. Odesa (sob)
    Good list. Noted for future travels once I’ve offloaded the kids and am spared the overly-sanitised joys of family holidays.
  • Options
    Apocalyptic storm in Nawlins. Rain and lightning over Ol Man River

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Cicero said:

Rumour in Tallinn that the Ukrainians got really close this time. Rumour now is that he has left UA for Moscow, because its simply too dangerous to leave him in theatre: twenty Russian officers now said killed after attack on forward HQ in Izyum.

Huge if true.
    Seems there has yet to be independent verification but yes, huge if true.

How's the war going Vlad?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    kjh said:

Admittedly different boundaries but they have got within 2000 in the 90s
    Struggling to verify my outrageous statement now. I'm sure I looked it up yesterday.
  • Options
    SussexJamesSussexJames Posts: 86

Leon said:

The great modern writer about Louisiana is James Lee Burke. Although his novels are generally set in New Iberia, New Orleans is nearly always a major character in the stories. Start with In the Electric Mist, or Purple Cane Road. The Tin Roof Blowdown is specifically about New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina, and one of the angriest books I've ever read, about racism, neglect and prejudice.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Do you know the origin of the deep frying tradition in the South? It’s not a lie, they really do deep fry A LOT

I had some deep fried oysters last night. Hmm. Not bad. But I’d not choose to have them again. Give me them raw and salty please

I wonder if it is the heat down here. Making food go off quicker? If you deep fry something you can murder a lot of bugs and disguise a lot of rot, and deep fried food can then keep for a while…
    I always assumed it was the “Scots-Irish” heritage. It’s definitely a thing.

As for the heat, god only knows what New Orleans was like in summer before air-con.

My aunt-in-law, who is now a celebrated children’s author, lived in Darwin for a period in the early 70s and she says half the population were literally driven insane and to alcoholism by the heat and humidity.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Well done @dixiedean big win for you.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Yes!
    What a goalie is Pickford! Daft as a brush Mackem.
  • Options

Leon said:

As for the heat, god only knows what New Orleans was like in summer before air-con.

My aunt-in-law, who is now a celebrated children’s author, lived in Darwin for a period in the early 70s and she says half the population were literally driven insane and to alcoholism by the heat and humidity.
    Yes, could be the heritage

That said, one thing I’ve noticed is how much English heritage there is (less so, Scotland and Ireland). It is palpable, in places, in the South. A lot of English surnames, place names etc

Much more than the West or the big cities of the north

I guess this makes sense. The English settled Virginia and the Carolinas and went west from there. The Irish went to Boston and NYC
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Possibly.

First time I ever had a raw (or any other kind) of oyster, was in French Quarter in 1973.

Just out of his school, my folks had just moved to Louisiana. Heard lot of talk about "oysters on the half shell" which sounded weird, but decided to give them a try.

So walked into Felix's Oyster Bar, then on Iberville St, just across from another famed NO oyster bar, the Acme. Anyway, I ordered a half-dozen oysters on the half-shell. Accompanied by small bowl of horseradish, with lemon and Tabasco sauce (the real deal, McIhenny's).

Tried one. Ok, had another. Finished the six - and ordered six more!

Addendum - IMHO best way to eat fried oysters, is in an oyster po'boy. "Dressed" - that is, in traditional New Orleans style with lettuce and mayo, and tabasco to taste.
  • Options

Leon said:

The great modern writer about Louisiana is James Lee Burke. Although his novels are generally set in New Iberia, New Orleans is nearly always a major character in the stories. Start with In the Electric Mist, or Purple Cane Road. The Tin Roof Blowdown is specifically about New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina, and one of the angriest books I've ever read, about racism, neglect and prejudice.
    Thanks! Read some when I was a kid; time to revisit. I’ve just ordered those first two you mentioned.
  • Options

Leon said:

Possibly.

First time I ever had a raw (or any other kind) of oyster, was in French Quarter in 1973.

Just out of his school, my folks had just moved to Louisiana. Heard lot of talk about "oysters on the half shell" which sounded weird, but decided to give them a try.

So walked into Felix's Oyster Bar, then on Iberville St, just across from another famed NO oyster bar, the Acme. Anyway, I ordered a half-dozen oysters on the half-shell. Accompanied by small bowl of horseradish, with lemon and Tabasco sauce (the real deal, McIhenny's).

Tried one. Ok, had another. Finished the six - and ordered six more!
    I LOVE the oyster bars in the French Quarter. I’m planning my last American lunch at one of them, tomorrow - then my journeys continue

Sitting at a counter with Tabasco and Saltines and a glass of cold white, watching the drunken people fall over on Bourbon St, at 2pm? Bliss
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Leon said:

Don't think it's anything to do with Scots-Irish. Deep fat frying is not found in old cookbooks that I can recall. Fish and chips came with Jewish immigrants tyo the big cities of Scotland in the late C19.

I wonder if it is shallow pan frying that was imported to the US, and latr converted to industrial deep frying?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That said, one thing I’ve noticed is how much English heritage there is (less so, Scotland and Ireland). It is palpable, in places, in the South. A lot of English surnames, place names etc

I guess this makes sense. The English settled Virginia and the Carolinas and went west from there. The Irish went to Boston and NYC
    There’s a whole sub-genre of studies on this.
    Without wanting to bore the thread, check out “Seeds of Albion”. Every region of the USA was populated by a different region of Britain (or France) and they took their “folkways” with them…the resonances are still abundant today…
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

Even as a fabricated construction the first scenario would be career ending for Starmer. The second scenario would simply enhance the mythological nature of the Johnsonian legend.

Labour are going to get absolutely smashed in Brexiteer Wakefield, but the LDs are going to pull off another North Shropshire in Tiverton and Honiton.
    Surely the risk is only in that window when a state actor has that ability and a normal punter doesn’t? If it’s common place then the fake photos will be commonplace
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

And Scots Irish went to the mountains, first in Pennsylvania, then southward via the Shenandoah Valley to dominate what is now the Upper South of USA.

Your making me hungry - must head off for my humble breakfast!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Don't think it's anything to do with Scots-Irish. Deep fat frying is not found in old cookbooks that I can recall. Fish and chips came with Jewish immigrants tyo the big cities of Scotland in the late C19.

I wonder if it is shallow pan frying that was imported to the US, and latr converted to industrial deep frying?
    This guy thinks it is a form of preservation learned from Native Americans

https://deepsouthmag.com/2012/12/03/the-real-roots-of-southern-cuisine/

But this BBC article says fried chicken (at least) really does come from Britain - and probably Scotland

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20201012-the-surprising-origin-of-fried-chicken
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

What is unique about Dalle is that it creates from words. But don't underestimate the similarities at the image processing level between the two. When you do a "smart erase" in Photoshop, and it "invents" what you see behind the image you remove, it's using a very similar neutral net.
  • Options
    However this guy goes into LUDICROUS detail and decides “southern fried chicken” comes from England

https://edmundstanding.wordpress.com/2018/05/30/the-english-roots-of-southern-fried-chicken/

The fact that Jefferson owned this pivotal English cookbook is quite convincing
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    On topic - At 64%, LDs are a clear lay.

Say it ain’t so?
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

The magic keyboard for the new Pro is amazing and frustrating at the same time

It is annoying you can’t turn the iPad into a book with a cover - you have to detach the tablet - but the same keyboard turns it into a completely acceptable laptop replacement

On the whole: worth it. I’d say
    The magic keyboard also costs the same as a whole (non pro) iPad.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

What is unique about Dalle is that it creates from words. But don't underestimate the similarities at the image processing level between the two. When you do a "smart erase" in Photoshop, and it "invents" what you see behind the image you remove, it's using a very similar neutral net.
    But the language prompt is key. You can’t “say” to Photoshop, “give me a photo of Liz Truss pegging a chicken”. It will just sit there (photoshop, not Liz Truss, or the chicken)

Say it to DALL-E 3, trained on enough images of politicians, faces, sex toys and chickens and it will - in seconds - give you a perfectly realistic photo of Liz Truss, a strap on, and a recently satisfied hen

I joke, but this is quite serious.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Speaking of Louisiana and New Orleans, here's a fact that probably hasn't reached the Guardian. After the Katrina hurricane, Louisiana elected a former Bush official, governor: Bobby Jindal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Jindal

Jindal is not an obvious fit for Louisiana. But the voters liked his performance, and he was re-elected in a landslide.

If Leon has any curiosity about politics, he might ask some of the folks there what they think about Jindal.

(The only modern governor I can think of who is equally improbable is Hawaii's Linda Lingle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Lingle
    A twice-divorced Jewish Republican born in St. Louis, and educated in California.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

People invest extra magic in the image generation which, as you say, is well worn (e.g. we've been using "this face does not exist" tech for quite a while for persona generation)

And the text interpretation is also not that sophisticated (and look what a bad job it does until a human curates its output...)

Yes, it has a powerful impact, but *only* when its workings are not well understood, and when it is well curated by humans.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    Meanwhile, what an odd letter from Dowden to Starmer, challenging Labour with allegations that they have some sort of pact with the LibDems! Desperate stuff, inviting a very short response IMO.

This from the party that did a sordid actual deal with UKIP, which may have involved trading in peerages.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

But this BBC article says fried chicken (at least) really does come from Britain - and probably Scotland

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20201012-the-surprising-origin-of-fried-chicken
    What does the BBC know of Scotland? It cites just one report from Skye c 1760. And Boswell was probably half pished anyway.

Seriously, though, we need to demonstrate fried chicken US style in Scotland by say 1835 - which brings us nicely to Meg Dods Cookbook (recte by the protofeminist writer and editor Christian Johnstone AIUI). I can find broiling and/or shallow frying of chicken, veal etc. sometimes in egg and breadcrumbs but not deep frying (which is to be expected on open fires, no idea when deep frying domestically became easy - with the Victorian range?).

Does this sounds promising?

https://archive.org/details/cookandhousewif03johngoog/page/134/mode/2up?q=fry+chicken
    https://archive.org/details/cookandhousewif03johngoog/page/140/mode/2up?q=fry+chicken

BTW I read in a history of food in WW2 that the reason fried chicken is so popular in the US was it was oneof the foods that was easy for Army etc cooks to produce en masse which helped create a sort of standardised US food style.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

People invest extra magic in the image generation which, as you say, is well worn (e.g. we've been using "this face does not exist" tech for quite a while for persona generation)

And the text interpretation is also not that sophisticated (and look what a bad job it does until a human curates its output...)

Yes, it has a powerful impact, but *only* when its workings are not well understood, and when it is well curated by humans.
    On the curation, that's very true. We don't get to see the 90% of generated stuff that isn't interesting.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176

Well done @dixiedean big win for you.

Yep. Dirty Leeds going down
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Can someone explain why Chelsea football club is worth £3bn?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Are there massive shareholder loans from Roman that can’t be legally repaid and have to be turned into equity?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Another question which I posed yesterday. How do we break the naval blockade on Odessa?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977

Value of brand, future income from TV rights, Asian growth opportunity etc
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

On the curation, that's very true. We don't get to see the 90% of generated stuff that isn't interesting.
    Yes we do. Dig a little deeper. Check this illuminating thread

“DALL-E is crazy impressive.

But I’m getting a feel for what it can and can’t do, and there are some quite noticeable limitations you won’t see on the curated publicised examples (including my own).

So, 8 limitations of DALL-E, a thread:

(also, have a #dalle koala doing magic)”

https://twitter.com/benjamin_hilton/status/1520032772072607747?s=21&t=l9F7HfEBemfJY_XgjSfkEQ

It is clearly far from perfect. As are human artists. However some of these limitations are built-in - anything to do with human faces, body parts, etc

Imagine DALL-E 3 or 4 with these shackles removed…
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    I read that quite a large number of migrants crossed the Channel today, after zero crossings this week (due, of course, to the triumph of the Rwandan policy). So how do we explain these crossings today? Is it because a) the Rwandan threat has begun to wane, or b) the wind direction has finally shifted from north-east to south-west? My money's strongly on b).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

What does the BBC know of Scotland? It cites just one report from Skye c 1760. And Boswell was probably half pished anyway.

Seriously, though, we need to demonstrate fried chicken US style in Scotland by say 1835 - which brings us nicely to Meg Dods Cookbook (recte by the protofeminist writer and editor Christian Johnstone AIUI). I can find broiling and/or shallow frying of chicken, veal etc. sometimes in egg and breadcrumbs but not deep frying (which is to be expected on open fires, no idea when deep frying domestically became easy - with the Victorian range?).

https://archive.org/details/cookandhousewif03johngoog/page/134/mode/2up?q=fry+chicken
    https://archive.org/details/cookandhousewif03johngoog/page/140/mode/2up?q=fry+chicken

BTW I read in a history of food in WW2 that the reason fried chicken is so popular in the US was it was oneof the foods that was easy for Army etc cooks to produce en masse which helped create a sort of standardised US food style.
    Yes. The guy I linked upthread makes a persuasive case that deep fried chicken is English, not Scottish

Which matches its popularity in English-settled parts of the South
  • Options

I read that quite a large number of migrants crossed the Channel today, after zero crossings this week (due, of course, to the triumph of the Rwandan policy). So how do we explain these crossings today? Is it because a) the Rwandan threat has begun to wane, or b) the wind direction has finally shifted from north-east to south-west? My money's strongly on b).

Suddenly struck by the way in which the wind direction is so germane to the protection of the nation's frontiers. This sounds exactly like a PB in 1805 - mulling over the Threat from Foreigners.

Will we see the old wind direction indicator from the Admiralty Board Room put up in the COBR?

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/illustration-of-the-board-room-of-the-admiralty
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

But I’m getting a feel for what it can and can’t do, and there are some quite noticeable limitations you won’t see on the curated publicised examples (including my own).

https://twitter.com/benjamin_hilton/status/1520032772072607747?s=21&t=l9F7HfEBemfJY_XgjSfkEQ

It is clearly far from perfect. As are human artists. However some of these limitations are built-in - anything to do with human faces, body parts, etc

I like all the fails, especially the shopping trolleys and the mother and child but not so much the kitten. Now that we know it can produce indistinguishable-from-human art why limit it to that?

BTW a prediction, the likes of banksy and tracey Emin will when they get access to it produce art which will sell for squillions where their only input is the instruction.
  • Options

I agree. 250 crossed today, according to the Mail

So this is it. Patel’s test. She needs to fly quite a few people to Rwanda to deter others, unless of course her plan was all bluster…

If she fails, and they keep coming, I suggest her career is over. She can’t dodge the issue any more
  • Options

Never attribute to bigotry what is adequately explained by meteorology.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Yes. The guy I linked upthread makes a persuasive case that deep fried chicken is English, not Scottish

Is this of interest?

https://theex.com/main/food/milestones-in-deep-fried-history/the-history-of-fried-food
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

I like all the fails, especially the shopping trolleys and the mother and child but not so much the kitten. Now that we know it can produce indistinguishable-from-human art why limit it to that?

BTW a prediction, the likes of banksy and tracey Emin will when they get access to it produce art which will sell for squillions where their only input is the instruction.
    Yes, even the failures are interesting, and some of them are poetic, striking, moody. You can easily see them as illustrations in the Guardian, New Yorker, Spectator

Must be a terrifying time to be a 2nd tier artist: a graphic designer or a cartoonist or an illustrator

I have artistic friends who are mentally allergic to this. They refuse to believe it is happening and get darkly emotional when it is discussed
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

Also, remember, this is "indistinguishable from human once it has been displayed on a flat 2d digital display".

Go and look at any of this art in the flesh and it becomes a thousand times more subtle, textured, and interesting as the light reflects off brush strokes as you move around it.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or

Or much much worse

Also, remember, this is "indistinguishable from human once it has been displayed on a flat 2d digital display".

Go and look at any of this art in the flesh and it becomes a thousand times more subtle, textured, and interesting as the light reflects of brush strokes as you move around it.
    3D printing will solve that
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Is this of interest?

https://theex.com/main/food/milestones-in-deep-fried-history/the-history-of-fried-food
    Deep frying is unlikely to be a very healthy way to eat, because of how hot the oil is. A saturated fat like beef tallow is the safest; a poly-unsaturated fat like sunflower oil would be the most dangerous. However, one good thing is that the nutrients within the fish have been found to be somewhat protected from the heat because of its molecular structure. The same has not been proven for your saveloy though. Or your Mars bar. If that had any nutrients in the first place.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    On Topic

In 2017 Lab got 15,670 votes (27.1%) compared to 4,639 for LDs (8%)

SKS slipping to 3rd says all there is to say about his Leadership.

His whole strategy is based on attracting disaffected Tories should be loads of those at this By Election
  • Options
    Deleted by GPT4
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Never attribute to bigotry what is adequately explained by meteorology.
    The thing with Patel's policy is it's all wind.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

0% SKS?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Leon said:

I agree. 250 crossed today, according to the Mail

So this is it. Patel’s test. She needs to fly quite a few people to Rwanda to deter others, unless of course her plan was all bluster…

If she fails, and they keep coming, I suggest her career is over. She can’t dodge the issue any more
    Yep. One way ticket to Rwanda please. For the lot. It's the kindest thing to prevent future hordes of dinghys. It is a Benthamite policy.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Is this of interest?

Deep frying is unlikely to be a very healthy way to eat, because of how hot the oil is. A saturated fat like beef tallow is the safest; a poly-unsaturated fat like sunflower oil would be the most dangerous. However, one good thing is that the nutrients within the fish have been found to be somewhat protected from the heat because of its molecular structure. The same has not been proven for your saveloy though. Or your Mars bar. If that had any nutrients in the first place.
    Could be worse. Could be a deep fried milk shake.

Maybe I shouldn't suggest it in case anyone gets ideas...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    Leon said:

Deleted by GPT4

I have a theory, which is probably bollocks, that your entire PB persona is generated by GTP4!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,083

Another question which I posed yesterday. How do we break the naval blockade on Odessa?

Essentially it can't be done until the war is over.

You might, in theory, be able to supply Ukraine with sufficient super anti-ship missiles that they can sink all the Russian warships in the Black Sea, but there would still be ship mines to contend with, and Ukraine has no minesweepers.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217
    MattW said:

Afternoon all.

Is PB being eirenic today, or are we a sack of ferrets?

Interesting stuff about how we must *not* pay any attention to the media coverage concerning Starmer / Rayner breaking the law as "there is nothing to see here", whilst it was mainly a media campaign that made the police investigate Johnson et al.

Also some quite strange coverage on this 'misogyny' stuff, and Westminster.

On Sky this morning when Anum Qaisar MP was chiselling away about how sexual harassment is a man on woman thing. She didn't seem to know that the two MPs from her Parliamentary group a week or so ago who have reportedly had sexual harassment complaints upheld against them (subject to Appeal) comprise one man Patrick Grady MP and one woman frontbencher Patricia Gibson MP, both for sexually harassing a male member of staff.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sexual-harassment-complaints-against-snp-mps-are-upheld-dlb7dfwjf

If we don't watch it we will end up with systems defined by and for people like Caroline Noakes - committee chair, rather than the all actual human beings who get sexually harassed, which includes both sexes. A serious blind spot that needs attention, there - imo.

ie politics as usual. :smile:

Don’t be ridiculous. The important thing is that the right check boxes are ticked. The right statements are made.

The actual suffers of harassment and abuse are in the wrong. They should know their place. And fuck off to the back of the bus, to leave room for Proper People to pontificate on their behalf.
This discussion has been closed.