Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Seat by seat the Northern Ireland Assembly election- – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TimSTimS Posts: 12,019

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Western arms shipments to Ukraine mean Nato is "in essence engaged in war with Russia" and there is "considerable" risk of the conflict going nuclear

This is now a settled theme from Russia,.

Tbh I'm amazed they haven't said this from the outset, and it's part of the reason why I think we've being really disingenuous about the No Fly Zone. We have drawn our own line by saying that it's fine to supply tons of military equipment, intelligence and, even, special 'advisors' (SAS) to Ukraine but it's not fine to install a NFZ. 95% of people on here have gone along with this, often vociferously. They've told themselves that the one will help Ukraine but won't escalate it but the other would lead to WWIII and Armageddon.

But it's cant and hypocrisy basically, isn't it? If we're going to support Ukraine, bloody well support Ukraine. We should have backed Zelensky's request and stood up to Putin.

Just my opinion. Don't flame me.
    Not going to flame you, but consider this: all but the most psychopathic criminals retain a demented sense of justice, a point quite neatly illustrated by monty python's piranha brothers who nail someone's head to the floor "because he had transgressed the unwritten code." Putin's unwritten code includes no nfz.

Or of course, he is bluffing and we only think it does. But don't fall into the narrative of Stand up to the bully, give Ivan a bloody nose and he will always cave in to true British grit. That is a school story and there's no nukes in schools.
    It's amazing how many people think this is fucking Michael Bay film and that Russia will back down if, in some as yet to be defined manner, Ukraine wins.

There is going to have to be a deal sooner or later and the pressure should be on Ukraine and Russia to make it sooner.
    What 'pressure to do a deal' can we put on a Russia that is doing, and saying, what it is?

And what makes you think they'll stick with the deal for a microsecond longer than it takes to get what they want?
    Again, even nutters have a sense of justice. You adhere to the unwritten code, you don't get your head nailed to the coffee table. Russia's sabre rattling is consistently if...then, else..., not, we are going to nuke you just for shits n giggles and because we can

But OK you think a deal can't be done, so whats your alternative? Give Ivan a dam' good thrashing because then he'll back down, like bullies always do?
    The government and people of Russia believe, with 100% confidence, that they will come out of the other end of a nuclear exchange in far better shape than NATO. This is a recurrent theme on Russian TV.

It's a vast and sparsely populated country with shit infrastructure and people who are used to roughing it anyway.
    Oh I'm sure that Putin, his cronies and oligarchs with their luxurious palaces and yachts are completely used to roughing it (!)
    I don't think they want to spend the rest of their lives living underground.

Russia may be sparsely populated but much of the population is concentrated in a small number of areas. Nearly 10% of the population lives in Moscow, and another 14% lives in the next fourteen cities. It would not take many warheads to destroy those population centres.

I think this is a case where standing up to a bully is actually a lot safer than giving way to him.
    If we would do it. Would we? Does Vlad think we would? Do his people?

Moscow was abandoned and burned to the ground in 1812, Leningrad had a 900 day siege, Stalingrad happened at Stalingrad. Having its cities pulverised to fuck and coming back from it, is just part of the myth.
    Somehow, I don't think that either Russia's leaders or masses have a huge desire to commit national suicide.
    Well, fuck it, look at the actual evidence, why not? You might as well say that nobody has ever gone to war because, yes, I know what it says in the history books, but would people really commit themselves to years of large scale slaughter and misery for no clear gain, time after time? There is a whole heap of commentators out there, and any number of clips of state TV on twitter, saying quite explicitly that Russia thinks it can win an all out nuclear war. Now if the Russians are saying that and the Western commentators are saying believe them, I don't see what weight is to be attached to your "somehow" gut feeling on the subject.
    Russia had very little choice but to fight an enemy in 1941 that was bent on enslaving or exterminating the population. In such a situation, they had little choice but to endure hell.

Now, they do have a choice.
    I see your problem: you have had enough of experts.

"Russia’s information infrastructure is hugely different from the West. The Russian masses, especially outside the cities, are not all on the internet; they rely on state-controlled television for news. That pre-existing monopoly has been massively reinforced since the invasion of Ukraine, with all alternative news sources blocked for the overwhelming majority of Russians. This has been compounded by many of the younger, social media-savvy generation leaving the country.

What is left is a population depressingly similar to its grandparents, who crowded Red Square to cheer the Leader of All Progressive Humanity whenever Stalin appeared atop Lenin’s tomb to receive the adulation of his helots. True, many applauded out of fear, but many also from conviction: even today, Stalin remains revered by millions of Russians. The mythology of the Great Patriotic War combines all the central elements of the Russian political identity: love of a strong leader, a near-masochist willingness to endure the unendurable for the sake of the motherland, and imperial greatness resulting in domination over other nations.

Since coming to power, Vladimir Putin has aspired to tick all those boxes. His propaganda machine, now unchallenged by any alternative voice, has reduced his compatriots to a state of moronic credulity. By carefully feeding the paranoia that is a principal component of the Russian character, Putin has secured his people’s support for an adventure that can only have catastrophic consequences for them."

I mean, LOL, Iain Martin, sure, but he *sounds* as if he knows what he is talking about, he is saying exactly what Russian TV and all the Western commentators on Russian TV are saying, and your intuition as to how you might feel if you were Russian is a bit off the point.
    It does appear that the word is slowly getting back to those inside Russia, but it’s a slow process. Lots of younger people trying to educate their parents and grandparents that the TV is not telling the truth.

It won’t be long either, before the wives and mothers of 20,000 dead soldiers realise their husbands and sons are not coming home, as well as the tens of thousands more who will come home with injuries and stories.
    That is just the casualties so far. If this goes on for another couple of months then the "butchers's bill" will be enormous. Politically de-stabilising enormous.
    It's a fascinating mystery what is going on inside Russia, both in the outside environment and in people's heads. I think we tend to swing between extremes on this, as we have done with Russia's military prowess.

At the start of the war there was an assumption out there that this is Putin's war, that the Russian people don't realise what's going on, once the body bags start coming back they'll turn against Putin, they won't be prepared to shoot at their Slavic brethren etc etc. Now - fed by events in Bucha and some depressing evidence coming out of the motherland, I fear we've gone too far the other way: Russia's people are all incorrigible imperialists who have bought lock stock and barrel into a death cult that will lead them cheerfully to Nuclear armageddon. I was starting to think that way too.

Watching the Navalny film last night I was forced to rethink. There is a long, deep tradition of rebellion, scepticism of authority and micro-subversion in Russia dating back centuries, and that's not going to disappear overnight. I know most of us assume the recent fires in various military installations are Ukrainian operations but there's still a small possibility it's domestic sabotage, like in Belarus. If so, then things might be more interesting than we thought.

I don't think we (the West) have got our heads properly around Russians yet. It's a form of orientalism - we discover they are a bit different from us, so we leap right across the spectrum and start to think of them as wholly exotic beings who operate on a different mental planet from everyone else. We're guilty of the same with China. Whereas in reality we're talking about humans who share many of the same virtues and flaws, conditioned by culture and context.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,851
    Cookie said:

Just spotted that former denizen of these boards Stewart Jackson has been appointed the new Residents' Commissioner for HS2: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/department-for-transport-appoints-new-hs2-residents-commissioner

More jobs for the boys, eh?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871

HYUFD said:

Slugger O Toole has great analysis on the assembly election. Also Peter Donaghy is modelling all the individual constituencies on twitter.

Will be interesting to see how well Alliance will do and if they are capable of getting 2nd seats in various constituencies like East Antrim, Lagan Valley, Strangford and North Down (unlikely, I agree with the above prediction). I have revised down my predictions for Alliance somewhat but I still expect Sinn Fein to be the largest party.

I think the biggest unknown is the SDLP, they have strong candidates but are in danger of being squeezed out in constituencies like Lagan Valley where Alliance is doing well.

Also I wonder if the Greens can spring a surprise in East Belfast?

Alliance and UUP and TUV should be up.

SF little changed, DUP and SDLP down
    Is this likely to lead to Michelle O'Neill becoming First Minister? I haven't been following it but sounds... interesting.
    Unless the DUP agree to rejoin the executive there will be no active FM post, assuming the DUP not the UUP are still second
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,571
    Not another one.

Tracy-Ann Oberman: EastEnders star pays damages in anti-Semitism libel case.

Hot on the heels of other recent legal results – such as the Telegraph’s and right-wing former Labour MP Ian Austin’s similar humiliation and apology to ex-Corbyn staffer Laura Murray

You could almost say AS was exaggerated for Political reasons by Labours opponents

Oh hang on
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Western arms shipments to Ukraine mean Nato is "in essence engaged in war with Russia" and there is "considerable" risk of the conflict going nuclear

Tbh I'm amazed they haven't said this from the outset, and it's part of the reason why I think we've being really disingenuous about the No Fly Zone. We have drawn our own line by saying that it's fine to supply tons of military equipment, intelligence and, even, special 'advisors' (SAS) to Ukraine but it's not fine to install a NFZ. 95% of people on here have gone along with this, often vociferously. They've told themselves that the one will help Ukraine but won't escalate it but the other would lead to WWIII and Armageddon.

But it's cant and hypocrisy basically, isn't it? If we're going to support Ukraine, bloody well support Ukraine. We should have backed Zelensky's request and stood up to Putin.

Not going to flame you, but consider this: all but the most psychopathic criminals retain a demented sense of justice, a point quite neatly illustrated by monty python's piranha brothers who nail someone's head to the floor "because he had transgressed the unwritten code." Putin's unwritten code includes no nfz.

Or of course, he is bluffing and we only think it does. But don't fall into the narrative of Stand up to the bully, give Ivan a bloody nose and he will always cave in to true British grit. That is a school story and there's no nukes in schools.
    It's amazing how many people think this is fucking Michael Bay film and that Russia will back down if, in some as yet to be defined manner, Ukraine wins.

There is going to have to be a deal sooner or later and the pressure should be on Ukraine and Russia to make it sooner.
    What 'pressure to do a deal' can we put on a Russia that is doing, and saying, what it is?

And what makes you think they'll stick with the deal for a microsecond longer than it takes to get what they want?
    Again, even nutters have a sense of justice. You adhere to the unwritten code, you don't get your head nailed to the coffee table. Russia's sabre rattling is consistently if...then, else..., not, we are going to nuke you just for shits n giggles and because we can

But OK you think a deal can't be done, so whats your alternative? Give Ivan a dam' good thrashing because then he'll back down, like bullies always do?
    The government and people of Russia believe, with 100% confidence, that they will come out of the other end of a nuclear exchange in far better shape than NATO. This is a recurrent theme on Russian TV.

It's a vast and sparsely populated country with shit infrastructure and people who are used to roughing it anyway.
    Oh I'm sure that Putin, his cronies and oligarchs with their luxurious palaces and yachts are completely used to roughing it (!)

Russia may be sparsely populated but much of the population is concentrated in a small number of areas. Nearly 10% of the population lives in Moscow, and another 14% lives in the next fourteen cities. It would not take many warheads to destroy those population centres.

I think this is a case where standing up to a bully is actually a lot safer than giving way to him.

Moscow was abandoned and burned to the ground in 1812, Leningrad had a 900 day siege, Stalingrad happened at Stalingrad. Having its cities pulverised to fuck and coming back from it, is just part of the myth.
    Somehow, I don't think that either Russia's leaders or masses have a huge desire to commit national suicide.
    Well, fuck it, look at the actual evidence, why not? You might as well say that nobody has ever gone to war because, yes, I know what it says in the history books, but would people really commit themselves to years of large scale slaughter and misery for no clear gain, time after time? There is a whole heap of commentators out there, and any number of clips of state TV on twitter, saying quite explicitly that Russia thinks it can win an all out nuclear war. Now if the Russians are saying that and the Western commentators are saying believe them, I don't see what weight is to be attached to your "somehow" gut feeling on the subject.
    Russia had very little choice but to fight an enemy in 1941 that was bent on enslaving or exterminating the population. In such a situation, they had little choice but to endure hell.

"Russia’s information infrastructure is hugely different from the West. The Russian masses, especially outside the cities, are not all on the internet; they rely on state-controlled television for news. That pre-existing monopoly has been massively reinforced since the invasion of Ukraine, with all alternative news sources blocked for the overwhelming majority of Russians. This has been compounded by many of the younger, social media-savvy generation leaving the country.

What is left is a population depressingly similar to its grandparents, who crowded Red Square to cheer the Leader of All Progressive Humanity whenever Stalin appeared atop Lenin’s tomb to receive the adulation of his helots. True, many applauded out of fear, but many also from conviction: even today, Stalin remains revered by millions of Russians. The mythology of the Great Patriotic War combines all the central elements of the Russian political identity: love of a strong leader, a near-masochist willingness to endure the unendurable for the sake of the motherland, and imperial greatness resulting in domination over other nations.

Since coming to power, Vladimir Putin has aspired to tick all those boxes. His propaganda machine, now unchallenged by any alternative voice, has reduced his compatriots to a state of moronic credulity. By carefully feeding the paranoia that is a principal component of the Russian character, Putin has secured his people’s support for an adventure that can only have catastrophic consequences for them."

I mean, LOL, Iain Martin, sure, but he *sounds* as if he knows what he is talking about, he is saying exactly what Russian TV and all the Western commentators on Russian TV are saying, and your intuition as to how you might feel if you were Russian is a bit off the point.
    It does appear that the word is slowly getting back to those inside Russia, but it’s a slow process. Lots of younger people trying to educate their parents and grandparents that the TV is not telling the truth.

It won’t be long either, before the wives and mothers of 20,000 dead soldiers realise their husbands and sons are not coming home, as well as the tens of thousands more who will come home with injuries and stories.
    That is just the casualties so far. If this goes on for another couple of months then the "butchers's bill" will be enormous. Politically de-stabilising enormous.
    It's a fascinating mystery what is going on inside Russia, both in the outside environment and in people's heads. I think we tend to swing between extremes on this, as we have done with Russia's military prowess.

At the start of the war there was an assumption out there that this is Putin's war, that the Russian people don't realise what's going on, once the body bags start coming back they'll turn against Putin, they won't be prepared to shoot at their Slavic brethren etc etc. Now - fed by events in Bucha and some depressing evidence coming out of the motherland, I fear we've gone too far the other way: Russia's people are all incorrigible imperialists who have bought lock stock and barrel into a death cult that will lead them cheerfully to Nuclear armageddon. I was starting to think that way too.

Watching the Navalny film last night I was forced to rethink. There is a long, deep tradition of rebellion, scepticism of authority and micro-subversion in Russia dating back centuries, and that's not going to disappear overnight. I know most of us assume the recent fires in various military installations are Ukrainian operations but there's still a small possibility it's domestic sabotage, like in Belarus. If so, then things might be more interesting than we thought.

I don't think we (the West) have got our heads properly around Russians yet. It's a form of orientalism - we discover they are a bit different from us, so we leap right across the spectrum and start to think of them as wholly exotic beings who operate on a different mental planet from everyone else. We're guilty of the same with China. Whereas in reality we're talking about humans who share many of the same virtues and flaws, conditioned by culture and context.
    One comment from a close Russian relative - she said that she completely understood the video of the applause for Ceaușescu turning into boos.

She said that everyone was afraid to whisper in a corner what they really believed - informers everywhere. But many, many people held it in their hearts.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364
    Everyone has some saving graces, even Jeremy C. I accept that he means well, and he's consistent. So consistent that he's not changed his mind on anything since he was seven. That's why he thinks NATO are war-mongers and Putin is the victim in this so-called war.

His time will come again. When the Guardian begins having a plurality of pro-Russian articles, it will be safe for him emerge. It may take a while, but it will happen.

BoJo has one habit that makes him irredeemable, though. Without a script he never finishes a sentence, and even with one, he waffles. Er, ah, a, makes up most of his words. I keep waiting for "Er, now, missus."

Get rid, Tories, before he ever finishes a sentence.

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,337

HYUFD said:

Slugger O Toole has great analysis on the assembly election. Also Peter Donaghy is modelling all the individual constituencies on twitter.

Will be interesting to see how well Alliance will do and if they are capable of getting 2nd seats in various constituencies like East Antrim, Lagan Valley, Strangford and North Down (unlikely, I agree with the above prediction). I have revised down my predictions for Alliance somewhat but I still expect Sinn Fein to be the largest party.

I think the biggest unknown is the SDLP, they have strong candidates but are in danger of being squeezed out in constituencies like Lagan Valley where Alliance is doing well.

Is this likely to lead to Michelle O'Neill becoming First Minister? I haven't been following it but sounds... interesting.
    The central scenario seems to be that SF win the election, but the DUP refuse to form an executive with an SF First Minister, so we have a period of deadlock until either the DUP win some concessions in return for agreeing to First Minister O'Neill, or there is another election.
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/francska1/status/1518916591299309569
    Russian state TV says it has discovered an "organisation of gays and lesbians" in a building in Mariupol where Ukrainian "nationalist battalions" had been based

It was apparently "funded by USAID" and "virtually under the patronage of the US President and Congress"

Is that supposed to be bad?
    They really are as thick as mince.
    As the founder of The Royal Society For The Prevention of Abusive Language Towards Foodstuffs, could you please not liken Russian Greater Nationalists to mince?

If you have mince, you have the basis for a large number of tasty, nutritious, filling meals.

If you have a quantity of RGNs - well making them into food would be rather rude, and would probably taste horrible. And they are no good for anything else.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Russian state TV says it has discovered an "organisation of gays and lesbians" in a building in Mariupol where Ukrainian "nationalist battalions" had been based

It was apparently "funded by USAID" and "virtually under the patronage of the US President and Congress"

Wait. So the Russian army is getting whipped by a bunch of poofs???
    Some people pay good money for that kind of thing, or so I hear.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,276
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

'A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma', as some crazy journalist opined in the 1930s.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,135
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I think the correct term is "gayers".
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,137
    Nigelb said:

Quick - somebody notify Marjorie Taylor Green, Madison Cawthorne, Fucker Carlson and 45.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    edited April 2022
    Two prominent figures in the popularisation of Scottish history at odds:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20092951.neil-oliver-leave-pontificating-past-experts-says-tom-devine/

(but Mr Oliver did do a degree in archaeology)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    A threesome with Rachel Reeves and Michelle O'Neill?

EDIT: Ooops, apologies - wrong forum :blush:
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    Nigelb said:

Make your mind up. I thought they were supposed to Nazis? Now they are Gay Pride With Guns???

When they are going to these lengths to keep the Homophobe Coalition together, you just know the war isn't going well....
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140

It's so weird that a leftie like BJO genuinely wants a Tory Government over Labour

Rachel Reeves said she was "pleased" Labour lost in 2019

I will be equally pleased with that result in 2024
    No she didn’t say that. Don’t lie.

She said she was glad Corbyn wasn’t PM right now. I agree with her.
    Same thing

And you expect those of us who worked our bollocks off for a Labour Government to vote for a front bench that wanted to lose
    Wait. Isn't that exactly what you've been doing when you've advocated voting for Johnson over Starmer?

Nigelb said:

Make your mind up. I thought they were supposed to Nazis? Now they are Gay Pride With Guns???

When they are going to these lengths to keep the Homophobe Coalition together, you just know the war isn't going well....
    The Ukrainians are Jewish Nazi NATO Homosexuals. Do keep up.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

The Ukrainian Army's Concert Party....?
    rcs1000 said:

It's so weird that a leftie like BJO genuinely wants a Tory Government over Labour

Same thing

And you expect those of us who worked our bollocks off for a Labour Government to vote for a front bench that wanted to lose
    Wait. Isn't that exactly what you've been doing when you've advocated voting for Johnson over Starmer?
    Mr Johnson is a socialist and Labour politician? Now I really, really am confused.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284

HYUFD said:

The central scenario seems to be that SF win the election, but the DUP refuse to form an executive with an SF First Minister, so we have a period of deadlock until either the DUP win some concessions in return for agreeing to First Minister O'Neill, or there is another election.
    Ye Gods. SF have served as DFM to the DUP for several years. NI politics is completely bonkers.
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Same thing

Mr Johnson is a socialist and Labour politician? Now I really, really am confused.
    We are living in a world where a war is being fought, apparently, against Jewish Gay Nazis.

The important bit is not to internalise the madness, in any way. Just put yourself in the mental state you use for watching a Mel Brooks film, and you'll be fine.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Nigelb said:

Surely, there needs to be some Trans units in there to really get the Russians going?
    Is there a particular opposition DUP have to the daughter and niece of IRA men versus an actual IRA man they served with in the shape of Martin McGuinness?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,806
    For those of you in senior management positions, please please please ensure your staff have decent laptops.

I've just moved role and this ancient elitebook can't run Teams if I have my camera on, can barely run anything in R, and can only keep about three edge tabs active.

"Months" is the response from the IT guys.
    Eabhal said:

For those of you in senior management positions, please please please ensure your staff have decent laptops.

I've just moved role and this ancient elitebook can't run Teams if I have my camera on, can barely run anything in R, and can only keep about three edge tabs active.

Are you yet to discover the cappuccino-keyboard technique? I hear it it's an extremely powerful tool in accelerating key IT upgrades in the workplace?
    Eabhal said:

Just send your line manager a memo that you can't attend the next Teams as the laptop won't work, and therefore send your apologies.

HYUFD said:

Ye Gods. SF have served as DFM to the DUP for several years. NI politics is completely bonkers.
    I explained Northern Ireland to some Peruvian relatives thus.....

In the peace agreement, the police force was to be half Catholic and half Protestant

Of course, they forgot about other denominations of Christianity. After some discussion, they were counted in the Protestant quota.

They also forgot about atheists. After some discussion, they were counted in the Protestant quota.

They also forgot about other religions. Hindus, Muslims etc. After some discussion, they were counted in the Protestant quota.

Then there was an issue with non-NI borne Catholics joining the police service. The Shiners were adamant that they were the wrong kind of Catholics. After some discussion, they were counted in the Protestant quota.

So in Northern Ireland we have, officially,

Protestant Hindus.
    Protestant Muslims,
    Protestant Catholics.
    etc
    etc

I find the above utterly marvellous and one of the best uses of my tax money that I can remember. It makes me smile every time I think upon it. Not many items of government spending do that.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,137
    MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

The Ukrainian Army's Concert Party....?
    Perhaps apropos?

Village People - In the Navy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGuy0jievs

Is there a particular opposition DUP have to the daughter and niece of IRA men versus an actual IRA man they served with in the shape of Martin McGuinness?

They are female?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,491
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Same thing

He is all things to all voters. This is why he is universally feted and adored.
    MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Surely, there needs to be some Trans units in there to really get the Russians going?
    We should support the Cis-nistrians!
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,293
    Eabhal said:

A tech company I know ordered a couple of hundred laptops and desktops from a well-known and respected manufacturer. For technical and legal reasons, they want all the machines to be identical (within their type). They have just received the first tranche over six months late, with mismatched processors, graphics cards, memory types, and peripheral cards. Some were referred to as; "The sweepings of the factory floor chucked in."

Last time they placed an order, at the end of 2019 (I think!) the supplier performed perfectly, providing identical kit.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132

If Labour has won the election, who would have been PM? Strains credulity that a Labour Parliamentary party that no confidence voted Corbyn but then did nothing would have booted him out if he had won them the keys to Downing Street.

It is a distinction without difference.
    There is a difference.

Assume I have a choice of 2 bad things - I can either lose my hand or my voice.

It's by coin toss. Heads the voice, tails the hand.

Flick ... spin spin spin ... it's TAILS.

Fuck, there goes my hand. Chop. Argh, that hurt.

Now Kay Burley comes along and she asks me -

Kuntibula, are you pleased you still have your voice?

"Yes," I say. (which I can since I do still have my voice)

Is this a lie?

No - it's the literal truth.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Apparently Trump has decreed that he will not come back to Twitter even if He is allowed by Musk, great news.

Does he mean it? don't know, he probably knows that if he does it would kill his own Triter alternative, 'Truth Social' he would also look silly if he did return and only got a fraction of his former followers back.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-will-not-return-to-twitter-even-if-elon-musk-purchases-platform-will-begin-using-his-truth-social

Eabhal said:

Are you yet to discover the cappuccino-keyboard technique? I hear it it's an extremely powerful tool in accelerating key IT upgrades in the workplace?
    I had a boss, way back, who was wise in The Ways of The Workers.

He kept in a cupboard, the laptop to be used by those who damaged theirs. It was a super hardened device, conforming to various military specifications. Waterproof to a serious depth, fire resistance and you could literally drop it onto concrete from a height and it would just bounce. It was one of the machines spec'd for use in extreme conditions in the field - this was at an oil company.

It weighed a metric ton, and was quite slow.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335

Nigelb said:

Quick - somebody notify Marjorie Taylor Green, Madison Cawthorne, Fucker Carlson and 45.
    These right wing whackos and Putinists all need to get their messaging in line. I thought 45 had to be restored in order to root out a massive child sex ring. Now it seems it is gay Nazis stormtroopers that are the problem.

BigRich said:

Apparently Trump has decreed that he will not come back to Twitter even if He is allowed by Musk, great news.

Does he mean it? don't know, he probably knows that if he does it would kill his own Triter alternative, 'Truth Social' he would also look silly if he did return and only got a fraction of his former followers back.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-will-not-return-to-twitter-even-if-elon-musk-purchases-platform-will-begin-using-his-truth-social

I suspect someone will set up a bot to tweet all his contributions which (I assume) is currently not allowed.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Watching the Navalny film last night I was forced to rethink. There is a long, deep tradition of rebellion, scepticism of authority and micro-subversion in Russia dating back centuries, and that's not going to disappear overnight. I know most of us assume the recent fires in various military installations are Ukrainian operations but there's still a small possibility it's domestic sabotage, like in Belarus. If so, then things might be more interesting than we thought....
    Note also that it's a multicultural society in a partial state of denial about being so. 'Russian' is a bit of a confusing term given the blurring between the nationality and the ethnic group.
    And there's a very large number of ethnic Ukrainians inside Russia - even before the recent forcible deportations of maybe half a million people.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130
    Cookie said:

Just spotted that former denizen of these boards Stewart Jackson has been appointed the new Residents' Commissioner for HS2: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/department-for-transport-appoints-new-hs2-residents-commissioner

The fact that that role exists, presumably with a salary in the six figures, tells you everything you need to know about the UK in 2022, and its failure to deliver major infrastructure projects close to time and budget.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,170

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

So, Transdneister is a large self-ID party with chocolate eggs??

Eabhal said:

A tech company I know ordered a couple of hundred laptops and desktops from a well-known and respected manufacturer. For technical and legal reasons, they want all the machines to be identical (within their type). They have just received the first tranche over six months late, with mismatched processors, graphics cards, memory types, and peripheral cards. Some were referred to as; "The sweepings of the factory floor chucked in."

Last time they placed an order, at the end of 2019 (I think!) the supplier performed perfectly, providing identical kit.
    I have been told, at a couple of places, that this is why they liked Mac laptops. They cost a bit more, but the absence of 99% of the fuckery that suppliers get up to with accidentally changing build specs etc.....
    Carnyx said:

They are female?
    Of course, silly me! :D
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726
    edited April 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

If Russians really do have such commitment to the cause that they'll choose national self-immolation in order to put Zelensky in his place, would we not be seeing some sign of it, by now? Where are the throngs of people of fighting age joining up, and the deeds of insane bravery on the battlefield? That was what we saw in 1941-45.

There's only one side in this war that's shown real fighting spirit, and it's not the Russian side.

• Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780

Same thing

You're clearly twisting words to suit your own motives. Here for the record is the full quote.

“Yes, I’m pleased that he’s not prime minister, but I don’t like the prime minister we’ve got either, and that’s why I’m campaigning for Keir Starmer to be the next prime minister – a Labour prime minister.”

Continue to misrepresent that as much as you like, but bear in mind that in doing so the only person whose credibility that you're undermining is yourself.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,892
    Pro_Rata said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

So, Transdneister is a large self-ID party with chocolate eggs??
    From wikipedia:

"The official shortform name (the name in daily usage) in Russian is "Приднестровье", Pridnestrovie, which literally means "Cisdniestria". Short name in Romanian Nistrenia (Нистреня in Cyrillic), in Ukrainian Придністров'я - Prydnistrovia."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Transnistria

Eabhal said:

I have been told, at a couple of places, that this is why they liked Mac laptops. They cost a bit more, but the absence of 99% of the fuckery that suppliers get up to with accidentally changing build specs etc.....
    Indeed. We are fully Mac in part for this very reason. You know exactly what you are buying and the things work. That's not to say you can't buy a great PC, of course you can, but unless you are willing to spend £££ on IT compliance how do you know for sure what's under the bonnet?

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

An informative thread on Transnistria/Transdniestria, for our general edification.

https://twitter.com/Tom_deWaal/status/1501615391252135940
    A long🧵on the situation in #Transdniestria/#Transnistria, misconceptions and fears that it could turn into a new front in the war.
    My main point is there's a shared interest both in Transdniestria (TN) and in right-bank Moldova in stopping the conflict from reaching them.

Eabhal said:

Nope. Speaking as the IT manager, we have the special 2010 relic laptop waiting for the next person who suffers from a cappuccino-keyboard interface problem.

Eabhal said:

I had a boss, way back, who was wise in The Ways of The Workers.

He kept in a cupboard, the laptop to be used by those who damaged theirs. It was a super hardened device, conforming to various military specifications. Waterproof to a serious depth, fire resistance and you could literally drop it onto concrete from a height and it would just bounce. It was one of the machines spec'd for use in extreme conditions in the field - this was at an oil company.

It weighed a metric ton, and was quite slow.
    I knew an IT purchasing manager who admitted that staffers who intentionally damaged ageing 'assets' and presented it as an accident were in no small part doing him a favour as he could then replace them via the insurance, whereas otherwise he was stuck with them in the company fleet until someone was able to prove they no longer worked at all. Don't know how true this is of all firms, but I found it interesting.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729

Same thing

Who do you blame for Labour's crushing defeat in 2019?
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

If Russians really do have such commitment to the cause that they'll choose national self-immolation in order to put Zelensky in his place, would we not be seeing some sign of it, by now? Where are the throngs of people of fighting age joining up, and the deeds of insane bravery on the battlefield? That was what we saw in 1941-45.

There's only one side in this war that's shown real fighting spirit, and it's not the Russian side.

This all seems to be missing the point. Putin is not going to decide to launch nuclear weapons on the basis of opinion polling to the effect that the Russian people would be OK with that, actually. Conversely, he would probably not be persuaded out of it on the strength of public opinion being against.
    Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

An informative thread on Transnistria/Transdniestria, for our general edification.

A long🧵on the situation in #Transdniestria/#Transnistria, misconceptions and fears that it could turn into a new front in the war.
    My main point is there's a shared interest both in Transdniestria (TN) and in right-bank Moldova in stopping the conflict from reaching them.
    It's called Transnistria NOT Transdniestria!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria

Eabhal said:

Yep, agree with that. It'd be interesting to see if some of the places I used to know well and were Windows-only companies have changed or loosened policy over the last decade.
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

Nope. Speaking as the IT manager, we have the special 2010 relic laptop waiting for the next person who suffers from a cappuccino-keyboard interface problem.
    Ha! I dare say that you have a sister device for phones that struggle to handshake with a pint of lager?

Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Scroll down...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria#Names
  • I get a MacBook Pro M1 Pro with 16GB of RAM for software eng, it flies
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,749
    Eabhal said:

They are training you to focus on the matters in hand - maximum 2 or 3 - rather than get yourself diverted.

• I do believe Corbyn would have been a better PM than Johnson yes, that's a sincerely held view. Johnson is a 0, Corbyn a 0.1

Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

Ha! I dare say that you have a sister device for phones that struggle to handshake with a pint of lager?
    Yep, that’ll be the Nokia 3310.

We’ll actually buy you one if you don’t want to BYOD. Most people have *their own* £1200 iPhone or Galaxy, which have a surprisingly good record of not being left in pubs and taxis, nor of interfacing with a pint of liquid.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Scroll down...
    Note that Wikipedia has settled for Transnistria.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Endillion said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

This all seems to be missing the point. Putin is not going to decide to launch nuclear weapons on the basis of opinion polling to the effect that the Russian people would be OK with that, actually. Conversely, he would probably not be persuaded out of it on the strength of public opinion being against.
    He isn't going to launch nuclear weapons because he knows it would end with the complete devastation of Russia. His whole identity is based on Russian civilization being restored to greatness. Every urban center being leveled to the ground is the opposite of that. The people ramping up this threat are the people who have been pushing Russian favorable talking points from the beginning, and have already been proved wrong on most of them.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Scroll down...
    Note that Wikipedia has settled for Transnistria.
    Stop arguing, and read there thread - it's interesting.
    ...Russia’s crucial contribution is to supply free gas via Moldova. Gazprom sends the bill to Moldovagaz, no one pays for it. The unpaid gas debt accrued by Tiraspol may exceed $7 billion. ...
    Applicant said:

BigRich said:

I suspect someone will set up a bot to tweet all his contributions which (I assume) is currently not allowed.
    Well, people share his screengrabs of "From the Desk of President DJT", and they get *some* engagement.

But unless he's properly on the platform, then he's not going to be interacting with people - responding to their Tweets, replying to random weirdos who engage with him, etc.

• AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

I do believe Corbyn would have been a better PM than Johnson yes, that's a sincerely held view. Johnson is a 0, Corbyn a 0.1

Ukraine would have been screwed right now had Corbyn been in charge.
    Hmmm... looks like the Russian short-form is "Pridnestrovie" which literally means "Cisnistria" :lol:
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

The fact that that role exists, presumably with a salary in the six figures, tells you everything you need to know about the UK in 2022, and its failure to deliver major infrastructure projects close to time and budget.
    I bet it's a part time role paying less than £50k/year.

Small wager (£20)?

If it pays more than £100k, you win. If it pays less than £50k, I win. Something in the middle and we call it a draw.
    Aslan said:

I do believe Corbyn would have been a better PM than Johnson yes, that's a sincerely held view. Johnson is a 0, Corbyn a 0.1

Ukraine would have been screwed right now had Corbyn been in charge.
    And I have no reason to believe that Corbyn would have handled the pandemic better. In fact, I'm fairly convinced he would have totally screwed up the vaccine procurement.
    edited April 2022
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I thought "gayers" was acceptable, unless you were of the perpetually offended sh*tstirring mindset, in which case "acceptable" is whatever term is currently not being used.

(Source iirc: Iain Dale)
    Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for that. Makes it sound like the frozen conflict in Moldova is only marginally more real than than Berwick-upon-Tweed Vs Russia. Until and unless the gasman comes with a demand for the unpaid gas bill. (maybe they can just hide in a cupboard)
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

The French have a saying, apparently: "You don't consult the frogs when you're draining the swamp."
    And the Chinese have a saying: "You have thirty minutes to leave your apartment before it is bulldozed."

Honestly, on relfection, I prefer our system. We may be hopeless at building things but the chances of your home being arbitrarily taken or rendered worthless is pretty low.

I do worry though that Stewart Jackson will see his remit as preventing HS2 being built, rather than ensuring it is built in a way which minimises the negatives and maximises the positives for individuals along its route.
    Stewart, if you're reading, let us know!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    BigRich said:

He probably thinks he can sell Truth to Elon Musk for a billion or so just to get him back onto Twitter.
    What a surprise:

"P&O ferry European Causeway adrift off coast of Larne"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61229753
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

interesting Read
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

This was good, too.
    https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1518717785949589506
    ...Russia staged a fake bust of alleged Ukrainian Nazi assassins, and the guy tasked with assembling the paraphernalia for the photo bought three copies of The Sims instead of three SIM cards..
    And these are the people we're supposed to believe have the ability to switch the votes of people in Sunderland at will.
    edited April 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Small wager (£20)?

If it pays more than £100k, you win. If it pays less than £50k, I win. Something in the middle and we call it a draw.
    8 days a month, £450 a day.

https://retirementpostponed.com/exec/hs2-residents-commissioner/

Presumably with an executive of the department under him, who earns the six figures.
    edited April 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Small wager (£20)?

Is this wager now agreed?

Answer is in the advert.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    MattW said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I thought "gayers" was acceptable, unless you were of the perpetually offended sh*tstirring mindset, in which case "acceptable" is whatever term is currently not being used.

(Source iirc: Iain Dale)
    I assumed RCS' tongue was firmly in cheek, and his language accordingly
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Small wager (£20)?

Presumably with an executive of the department under him, who earns the six figures.
    So, who wins? If they meant annualised salary, it's over 100k; if they didn't, it's under 50k.
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Small wager (£20)?

I think that will be plus paid holidays and pension, will it not?

Which makes it *really* close to 50k per year.

Unless they have dodged IR35 et al.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,651

If Labour has won the election, who would have been PM? Strains credulity that a Labour Parliamentary party that no confidence voted Corbyn but then did nothing would have booted him out if he had won them the keys to Downing Street.

PM Corbyn would really be conflicted now. Who to support over Ukraine? NATO or a former Soviet comrade.

Even Johnson for all his utter uselessness worked that one out.
    Corbyn would be Anti War and has condemned Putins invasion

The truth is that no modern politician has been more consistent or more prescient when it comes to Putin than Corbyn. Far from being pro-Putin, Corbyn warned against him when others didn’t.
    "Ooh, er, look out for that big bad Vlad. Oh, and by the way, let's unilaterally disarm! Now, I must get back to the allotment."
    Pro_Rata said:

Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for that. Makes it sound like the frozen conflict in Moldova is only marginally more real than than Berwick-upon-Tweed Vs Russia. Until and unless the gasman comes with a demand for the unpaid gas bill. (maybe they can just hide in a cupboard)
    'Twas on a Monday morning
    The gas man came to call
    The gas tap wouldn't turn
    I wasn't getting gas at all
    He tore out all the skirting boards
    To try and find the main
    And I had to call a carpenter
    To put them back again

Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do...
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

The French have a saying, apparently: "You don't consult the frogs when you're draining the swamp."
    And the Chinese have a saying: "You have thirty minutes to leave your apartment before it is bulldozed."

Honestly, on relfection, I prefer our system. We may be hopeless at building things but the chances of your home being arbitrarily taken or rendered worthless is pretty low.

I do worry though that Stewart Jackson will see his remit as preventing HS2 being built, rather than ensuring it is built in a way which minimises the negatives and maximises the positives for individuals along its route.
    The way I would do it, is pay people a 50% uplift on their property’s independently-assessed value, a one-time offer that decreases over time to 100%. They spend more money and opportunity cost, spending years talking rather than building.

I remember my old favourite statistic, that Dubai Airport’s Terminal 3, was built in less time than LHR Terminal 5’s planning enquiry. The scope of the projects was the same, new buildings on the existing site, plus access roads
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

The deeds of insane bravery were often inspired by the fact that you got shot if you retreated.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    edited April 2022
    Carnyx said:

Two prominent figures in the popularisation of Scottish history at odds:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20092951.neil-oliver-leave-pontificating-past-experts-says-tom-devine/

(but Mr Oliver did do a degree in archaeology)

At least he can apply that qualification to digging up what remains of his career as a (semi) serious tv presenter.
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

The way I would do it, is pay people a 50% uplift on their property’s independently-assessed value, a one-time offer that decreases over time to 100%. They spend more money and opportunity cost, spending years talking rather than building.
    That seems like a really good idea.
    edited April 2022

PM Corbyn would really be conflicted now. Who to support over Ukraine? NATO or a former Soviet comrade.

The truth is that no modern politician has been more consistent or more prescient when it comes to Putin than Corbyn. Far from being pro-Putin, Corbyn warned against him when others didn’t.
    "Ooh, er, look out for that big bad Vlad. Oh, and by the way, let's unilaterally disarm! Now, I must get back to the allotment."
    AFAICS Corbyn has been, after first of all publicly arguing that it is the fault of an entirely fictional "NATO buildup in Ukraine" (in his pre-invasion speech to STWC), arguing that we should be ensuring peace by preventing the victim of the aggression arming themselves.

The man is delusional.

I first saw Corbyn, pre-leadership, on RT (which I happened on occasionally to understand a little of Russia's thinking), possibly around 2014, and thought "who is this blithering imbecile". Needless to say, he was quite on message about Russian grievance.

Surprisingly little of this stuff survives on the internet.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Not another one.

Hot on the heels of other recent legal results – such as the Telegraph’s and right-wing former Labour MP Ian Austin’s similar humiliation and apology to ex-Corbyn staffer Laura Murray

You could almost say AS was exaggerated for Political reasons by Labours opponents

Oh hang on

I expect Labour's opponents to exaggerate problems -- it is part of the rules of the game.

But, this exaggeration was done mainly be people in Labour.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

This was good, too.
    https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1518717785949589506
    ...Russia staged a fake bust of alleged Ukrainian Nazi assassins, and the guy tasked with assembling the paraphernalia for the photo bought three copies of The Sims instead of three SIM cards..
    And these are the people we're supposed to believe have the ability to switch the votes of people in Sunderland at will.
    Maybe we're just a soft target.
    edited April 2022

Not another one.

Oh hang on

I expect Labour's opponents to exaggerate problems -- it is part of the rules of the game.

But, this exaggeration was done mainly be people in Labour.
    And exaggeration only works if there's something to exaggerate.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Scroll down...
    I rather like Transdniestria. Satisfyingly challenging to get all the consonants after the first 'a' to line up in the right order when you say it, and a sense of accomplishment from doing so. Transnistria feels lazy and a cop out. Like Xmas.
    These days, successfully pronouncing Transdniestria might constitute my greatest achievement in a given day.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

A bunch of poofs can be quite handy in the war thing. This is an SAS territorial unit in training for possible deployment in Ukraine (Mark Francois just out of shot).

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dunno what you saw 1941-45 but I do know that one company of each Red Army regiment was on exclusively anti-retreat duty. Which affects your point I think.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,806

What a surprise:

"P&O ferry European Causeway adrift off coast of Larne"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61229753

As long as everyone is safe, that's very funny.

Did they end up switching the crews out in the end?
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

The deeds of insane bravery were often inspired by the fact that you got shot if you retreated.
    Yes, retreat would lead to certain death for you and probably also your family. Whereas advancing would lead only to probable death for you.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited April 2022

As so many on pb.com have argued, if we let big bad Vlad take the Donbas, then nothing, absolutely nothing is safe.

Next stop is Warsaw, then Pas de Calais ... and then Jeremy's allotment itself.

Best to have a nuclear war. Just to make sure Jeremy's gooseberries are safe.
This discussion has been closed.