Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hooray, we can all remain Francophiles for the next 5 years at least – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578

"1942: Richard M Nixon 60.7%" No wonder they called him "Tricky Dick", winning the presidency in an off year, before he had turned 35, the legal age limit for the presidency.

He WAS well-named, wasn't he?

Blame fat, fumbling fingers of foolish fate!
  • Options

Bouches-du-Rhone 52.1% Macron

Just Overseas Citizens left.

Le Pen will end up with 30 departments, Macron 77 (counting overseas citiizens as a dep).
  • Options
    Don't go @OllyT I enjoy your posts. You're a valued contributor here.
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    Andy_JS said:

Le Pen winning the under 35 vote should be a massive warning to the complacent gerontocracy that has run the West for the last thirty years.

But, as with every other crisis, they'll just ignore it, allow it to fester, and when it becomes unsolvable blame it on their children.

Has it been confirmed that she won the under-35 vote?
    The last exit polls I saw had her winning 25s-34s 45/55 and narrowly losing 18-24s 51/49 (not that only nearly half of 18-24 year olds voting for a neofascist is a particularly encouraging statistic).
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Lozère 2nd round

2017: Macron 67.0% Le Pen 33.0%
    2022: Macron 54.2% Le Pen 45.7%

Réunion & Mayotte landslides for Le Pen

DavidL said:

France 24 now estimating M 58.3. to 58.8. Painfully close.

Interesting given the (very few) results so far suggest more of a swing against Macron.
    You have lost, and lost badly.

Another appalling tip from you ramping the right. I suggest you refrain from promoting your political betting tips in future.
    Yawn. Do you ever put betting tips on yourself?

Ps how's your "Virginia would never go Republican" comment looking? :)

PPS oh yes, and Alaska could go Democrat - LOL. Standing in a greenhouse...
    People can give betting tips that turn out to be wrong. To give any credence to somebody's tips you need to believe that they are acting dispassionately. As far as I can recall every betting comment I have ever seen from you concerning Trump and now Le Pen have always turned out to be overestimates in their favour.

Straws in the wind can be very useful but not when they always seem to point in the same direction.
    Hang weights on it, love.

This is the sort of post I am meant to "engage" with is it?

Wants to win, politically

Wants to win, because betting position

Expects to win

Are three different things, but you don't understand that. Which is some sad ass shit.
    Have you ever considered debating civilly without resorting to personal abuse?
    You really are a complete and utter prick. Which I suppose answers your question.

You started this with a, let me repeat myself, entirely dickless attack on *unnamed* pb commenters who you thought were le Pen "fanboys" but you can't actually identify any. You are a wanker with nothing interesting to say about politics or betting or betting on politics. The end.
    Nothing I said in that comment has warranted the vile personal abuse you have hurled at me all evening.

I believe I am done with PB. Bye.
    Holds the door so it doesn't slam your butt on the way out
    Olly T has a fair point. I don't share his views, but the abuse that has been flung in his direction has been out of order.
    Thanks for that but I have found it quite upsetting so am taking my leave. Other sites are available.
    Try snideylittleshit.com

Byeeeeeee!

And, honestly, look at your post which started all this, and ask yourself whether I don't even have 0.1% of a point?
    You have every right to disagree with me, you do have the right to hurl vile personal abuse at me.
    Personally, I Ignore Ishmael. He has a long history of picking fights with people on PB. He’s a deeply unpleasant poster.

Stick around.
    Love you too. Your critique of Aaron Bell,mp for failing to insert himself far enough up bojos fundament is aging especially well. Respect.
    Your posts are just vile.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Exit poll details show Le Pen won 49% of 18 to 24s and 55% of 25 to 34s and 45% of 35 to 49s.

It was over 50s who really saved Macron, he won 60% of 50 to 64s and 68% of over 65s
    https://twitter.com/MVLibertas/status/1518326482677944324?s=20&t=9oHCpPiyeWKlhKmVxd0wXA

Or put another way the only age group Le Pen won was the 25 to 34.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    ping said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Lozère 2nd round

DavidL said:

Interesting given the (very few) results so far suggest more of a swing against Macron.

Another appalling tip from you ramping the right. I suggest you refrain from promoting your political betting tips in future.

People can give betting tips that turn out to be wrong. To give any credence to somebody's tips you need to believe that they are acting dispassionately. As far as I can recall every betting comment I have ever seen from you concerning Trump and now Le Pen have always turned out to be overestimates in their favour.

Straws in the wind can be very useful but not when they always seem to point in the same direction.

Expects to win

Are three different things, but you don't understand that. Which is some sad ass shit.
    You really are a complete and utter prick. Which I suppose answers your question.

You started this with a, let me repeat myself, entirely dickless attack on *unnamed* pb commenters who you thought were le Pen "fanboys" but you can't actually identify any. You are a wanker with nothing interesting to say about politics or betting or betting on politics. The end.
    Nothing I said in that comment has warranted the vile personal abuse you have hurled at me all evening.

Olly T has a fair point. I don't share his views, but the abuse that has been flung in his direction has been out of order.
    Thanks for that but I have found it quite upsetting so am taking my leave. Other sites are available.
    Try snideylittleshit.com

Byeeeeeee!

And, honestly, look at your post which started all this, and ask yourself whether I don't even have 0.1% of a point?
    You have every right to disagree with me, you do have the right to hurl vile personal abuse at me.
    Personally, I Ignore Ishmael. He has a long history of picking fights with people on PB. He’s a deeply unpleasant poster.

Stick around.
    Love you too. Your critique of Aaron Bell,mp for failing to insert himself far enough up bojos fundament is aging especially well. Respect.
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    There's a detail in the1952 American presidential election that may surprise some. Democrat Adlai Stevenson lost the popular vote by 10.9 percent -- but he won more total votes than Harry Truman had in 1948 (27,375,090-24,179,347), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_United_States_presidential_election

That's true even if you add the "Dixiecrat" votes that Strom Thurmond received, and the "Progressive" votes that a former FDR vice president, Henry Wallace, received, to Truman's total. (Which you really shouldn't do, but the 1948 election is often described as having a three-way split in the Democratic Party.)

It's been a while since I saw the poll results, but, as I remember, both Stevenson and Eisenhower had positive ratings from members of the other party. I don't know of any other presidential election in which that happened.

So the average voter in 1952 was saying "I like Ike", and "Adlai's OK, too".
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    French overseas 86.1% Macron

FINAL RESULT 58.6% Macron
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

French overseas 86.1% Macron

FINAL RESULT 58.6% Macron

The exit poll was very accurate as usual.
  • Options

French Presidential 2nd-Round Winning Percentages since 1965

1965: Charles de Gaulle 55.2%
    1969: Georges Pompidou 58.2%
    1974: Valéry Giscard d'Estaing 50.8%
    1981: François Mitterrand 51.8%
    1981: François Mitterrand 54.0%
    1995: Jacques Chirac 52.6%
    2002: Jacques Chirac 82.2%
    2007: Nicolas Sarkozy 53.1%
    2012: François Hollande 51.6%
    2017: Emmanuel Macron 66.1%

So for all the BBC's attempts to keep it exciting by suggesting it was a nailbiter

1. It wasn't even close

2. It's the second biggest vote for a second round candidate since '65 (exluding Macron himself last time)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Le Pen winning the under 35 vote should be a massive warning to the complacent gerontocracy that has run the West for the last thirty years.

But, as with every other crisis, they'll just ignore it, allow it to fester, and when it becomes unsolvable blame it on their children.

The last exit polls I saw had her winning 25s-34s 45/55 and narrowly losing 18-24s 51/49 (not that only nearly half of 18-24 year olds voting for a neofascist is a particularly encouraging statistic).
    Fascinating because in English-speaking countries these age groups would certainly not be voting for a Le Pen style candidate.
  • Options
    Yet another Putinist bites the Big Weenie in Slovenia
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Sue Gray. Legend.

Something up? Nothing on twitter
    This

What matters are the local election results, most people made up their minds on partygate months ago, Gray report or no Gray report
    A well chosen photograph would do it.
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Sue Gray. Legend.

Something up? Nothing on twitter
    This

What matters are the local election results, most people made up their minds on partygate months ago, Gray report or no Gray report
    A well chosen photograph would do it.
    It's possible, but I'm struggling to believe that there is anything really juicy left which hasn't already come out when he was on the ropes in January.

As far as I can see, the possibilities are

1) There are no photographs worse than what has already been released/leaked
    2) There are further photographs, but only in possession of Johnson uber-loyalists, who aren't going to ever let them see the light of day.
    3) There are further photographs, but whoever has them sat on their hands in January, but has cheerfully handed them over to Sue Gray.

Option (3) seems (sadly) to be the least likely by some way.
    Obviously (2) might produce a picture or two after some infighting, but one gets the impression that those left round Boris now are anticipating going down with the ship.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Exit poll details show Le Pen won 49% of 18 to 24s and 55% of 25 to 34s and 45% of 35 to 49s.

It was over 50s who really saved Macron, he won 60% of 50 to 64s and 68% of over 65s
    https://twitter.com/MVLibertas/status/1518326482677944324?s=20&t=9oHCpPiyeWKlhKmVxd0wXA

Or put another way the only age group Le Pen won was the 25 to 34.
    Le Pen did her best to try and cover up her real EU intentions otherwise she would have lost every age group . Will she be so lucky next time to have a cost of living crisis which pushed the debate into an area she could play her “ caring Mother Theresa “ role !

Thankfully enough French people didn’t buy her new fluffy image .
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ping said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Lozère 2nd round

DavidL said:

Expects to win

Try snideylittleshit.com

Byeeeeeee!

Stick around.
    Now I feel terrible. But yours are just uninterestingly wrong, and given the choice, I will stick with vile.
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Fascinating because in English-speaking countries these age groups would certainly not be voting for a Le Pen style candidate.
    Le Pen's economic policies aren't massively divergent from Corbyn's. She's exploiting the economic desperation of under-35s with pandering policies like handing out cash to young families and sneaking far-right social policies along the way, similar to how Corbyn exploited the economic desperation of under-35s to sneak far-left social policies. This should be deeply concerning to Western centrist governments; the fact that economic kamikaze candidates are getting so close to power because young people have no other option is terrifying. But we'll continue to delude ourselves and act surprised when the young rebel in large enough numbers to elect a crazy demagogue because there's no one else who pretends to care about them.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Labour pledges to scrap non-dom tax break after Rishi Sunak’s wife status revealed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rishi-sunak-labour-non-dom-tax-break-b2063919.html
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    By .1% Alpes-Maritimes voted Macron. Phew!

Must be Marine's Oligarch chums in Cap Ferrat!
  • Options
    Shanghai reports 51 new coronavirus deaths, the biggest one-day increase on record

Multiple by 245, divide by 3, add 7....to get the real number.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    edited April 2022
    I’m sitting in a twilit park in Tuscumbia, Alabama, watching a big red duck rape a smaller white duck, as I secretly drink Californian Cab Sauv from a water flask and think about famous deaf mute Helen Keller (who lived 300 yards away)

• Options
    The poor victim (with her concerned sisters?)
  • Options
    The villainous rapist. He actually LOOKS evil. Wouldn’t stand a chance in court

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

I’m sitting in a twilit park in Tuscumbia, Alabama, watching a big red duck rape a smaller white duck, as I secretly drink Californian Cab Sauv from a water flask and think about famous deaf mute Helen Keller (who lived 300 yards away)

Proper authorities have been alerted. BTW, you DO know that Helen Keller was a woke lefty?

BTW, if your headed southwest AND you are driving, check out the Natchez Trace parkway. Just make sure NOT to break the speed limit, during the daytime anyway. AND keep track of how much gas you've got in your tank - literaly.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Leon said:

Proper authorities have been alerted. BTW, you DO know that Helen Keller was a woke lefty?
    Surely has to be cancelled today by the woke mob because of things like being a supporter of Eugenics....
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Leon said:

Surely has to be cancelled today by the woke mob because of things like being a supporter of Eugenics....
    Please do NOT call me Shirley!

Will let others pick on a few of Helen Keller's flaws for purposes of ideological argument & aggrandizement.

Personally am more interested in her amazing life and tremendous accomplishments. Am too old-school for this culture wars horseshit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The poor victim (with her concerned sisters?)

According to Alabama Penal Code, taking pictures or other images of mating fowl is prima facie evidence of sexual deviancy in the 2nd degree.

Fortunately you are only about half an hour from the Mississippi line.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Leon said:

BTW, if your headed southwest AND you are driving, check out the Natchez Trace parkway. Just make sure NOT to break the speed limit, during the daytime anyway. AND keep track of how much gas you've got in your tank - literaly.
    Love the Natchez trail.

Other things to do I hope you did while in TN: Bristol - a town in two states, with a NASCAR speedway to go and get a feel for what that sport is like. Oak Ridge Museum of Science and Energy (i.e. of the Nuclear Bomb). A small but fascinating exhibit.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

IshmaelZ said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Lozère 2nd round

DavidL said:

Expects to win

Try snideylittleshit.com

Byeeeeeee!

How many people have you driven from the site now with your drunken abuse and unpleasantness?
  • Options
    Martinique, Guadeloupe and French Guyana voted heavily for Le Pen over Macron. All of them are majority non-white.

https://twitter.com/AlexeiArora/status/1518210279464742914
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Love the Natchez trail.

Other things to do I hope you did while in TN: Bristol - a town in two states, with a NASCAR speedway to go and get a feel for what that sport is like. Oak Ridge Museum of Science and Energy (i.e. of the Nuclear Bomb). A small but fascinating exhibit.
    I am actually here to write about the Natchez Trace for the Knappers Gazette. That is my entire purpose. I spent all of today on the Trace, and saw the spot where Meriwether Lewis killed himself (something I never knew about)

I’m loving it, The countryside is generally agreeable, sometimes beautiful, dotted with interestingly decaying small towns, some finally reviving small towns, and the odd bit of ugly sprawl. The people are uniformly friendly and kind, the food has been surprisingly good, the weather is perfect - blue skies and 75-80F. And I ADORE American roadtrips. It is the only way to see the country

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Martinique, Guadeloupe and French Guyana voted heavily for Le Pen over Macron. All of them are majority non-white.

https://twitter.com/AlexeiArora/status/1518210279464742914

They have their reasons . . . which are NOT necessarily connected, at least conventionally, with electoral concerns of voters in "continental" France.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Le Pen's economic policies aren't massively divergent from Corbyn's. She's exploiting the economic desperation of under-35s with pandering policies like handing out cash to young families and sneaking far-right social policies along the way, similar to how Corbyn exploited the economic desperation of under-35s to sneak far-left social policies. This should be deeply concerning to Western centrist governments; the fact that economic kamikaze candidates are getting so close to power because young people have no other option is terrifying. But we'll continue to delude ourselves and act surprised when the young rebel in large enough numbers to elect a crazy demagogue because there's no one else who pretends to care about them.
    She planned to exempt all under 30s from income and corporation tax. Very much the opposite of what the right wing in Britain does to load the young with taves to fund giveaways for the retired.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    Big fires in Bryansk, in Western Russia. An oil depot and artillery arsenal it seems. The sort of thing difficult for Putin to ignore on Victory Day.

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1518378495801499650?t=u7TYetBODbsfUzWqqRFBtw&s=19
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why are you in Alabama? I thought there wasn't much of any interest there.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    Bonjour à tous.

A happy result for my bank balance if slightly shy of a stellar success. Because on Saturday I cashed out half of my 60%+ bet and then won on my main stake at 55-59.99%, overall I doubled my money. Not too shabby for a 6 day investment.

That's my first bet since Chesham & Amersham which was thanks to Mike's tip.

I'm not sure where the value currently lies in the UK. I will bide my time.

xx

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    Heathener said:

Bonjour à tous.

A happy result for my bank balance if slightly shy of a stellar success. Because on Saturday I cashed out half of my 60%+ bet and then won on my main stake at 55-59.99%, overall I doubled my money. Not too shabby for a 6 day investment.

That's my first bet since Chesham & Amersham which was thanks to Mike's tip.

I'm not sure where the value currently lies in the UK. I will bide my time.

xx

Well done.

New thread.
This discussion has been closed.