Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

2022 once again the betting favorite for BoJo’s exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    malcolmg said:

Since we're talking NIMBYs, here's a piece I read recently suggesting that car-dependent suburbia tends to create NIMBY residents in a way that more traditional, higher density urbanism doesn't. It's American, but it's plausible;

The problem with a car-dependent place is that any development at all may be a net negative for the established residents of a neighborhood. There is effectively no concession the developer can offer that turns it into a net positive in the short run. In the long run, infill development is needed to improve the fiscal solvency of these places and to create opportunities to transition away from car-dependence. But in the short run? I get more traffic in front of my house, and with me on the roads I have to drive to the businesses I patronize or work at.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2022/4/20/herriges-rezoned-the-neighbors-dilemma

That's a mindset problem.

"Transitioning away from car-dependence" is not required.

But investment in better roads can improve existing roads for existing residents while freeing up land to be constructed upon to build more homes.

Case in point, Warrington has had major house building for decades and a lot of that has come with improved transport links. The M62 Junction 8 was opened only in 2002 and that freed up traffic for construction and redevelopment of the old RAF Burtonwood base while opening up a new access point to the motorway for existing residents. From memory, thousands if not more of new homes have been able to be constructed on that repurposed land.

Near to where I live was used as a rat-run to Liverpool which was heavily congested in rush hour. A new bypass has been built and traffic where I live has collapsed as they're now using the bypass instead and now new houses are getting constructed along where the extra transport links have been added.

All that is required is proper investment in roads, not thinking how do we drive people off the roads.
    Driving people off the roads is very much the mentality of the urban rich and/or those who believe in increased state control of people's lives.
    If people had viable alternative options, like regular and affordable public transport and better cycling infrastructure, and if our towns were designed better, then car use would be lower and everyone would be happier. It's not about driving people off the roads, or at least it shouldn't be.
    So says an anti-car zealot.

I think you will find that cars are the #1 transport choice in the overwhelming majority of the country precisely because people are happiest having their own transport that they can go from wherever they are, to wherever they want to be in. With their own private space.

Driving on open roads from A to B is a far more pleasant experience than doing so in public transport for many people.

Yes traffic, especially on badly designed roads, may be an issue but so is congestion on public transport - and I'd be far happier sat in traffic in my own vehicle listening to my own music with my own space than stood in a crowded public vehicle crammed next to somebody's sweaty armpit.

For the vast majority of the time I drive, traffic is not a problem. Anti-car zealots seem to think that life is nothing other than traffic jams for drivers, it normally isn't.
    I much prefer to use public transport. I get to knit, or read, instead of having to concentrate on driving.

If I'm going for a walk I can do a linear walk, instead of having to return to where I parked my car.

It's one of the great things about visiting London, the absolute freedom to go anywhere across a huge city using frequent public transport.
    Yes , if only they had spent a fraction of the money spent on London transport/infrastructure in other areas of the countries we could all say that.
    They do. That's the problem!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    F1: the stupid format begins, with first practice.

*sighs*
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    The best thing for your fitness, mental health, time management, congestion and the environment you can do is walk to work.
    I see very little attempt to make this easier from anyone.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

The folly of Brexit, via @The_IoD:

"42% of businesses that trade internationally are exporting less to the EU than the last five years."

"UK businesses have lost EU clients & revenue. EU firms have pulled out of UK due to increased trade frictions."

https://www.iod.com/news/eu-and-trade/iod-4-in-10-traders-are-now-exporting-less-to-the-eu/

We'll have to wait fifty years to see any benefits from Brexit. Leon was most adamant about that the other day.
    I think that's overexaggerated, but it is Leon...

The interesting thing is that Scott sees "42% are exporting less" and it triggers duckspeak, whereas I see it and read "58% aren't exporting less", and realise that 58 is more than 42.
    Hmm, you haven't allowed for "about the same".
    Or what % total the 42% represents versus the likely very small amount left after removing "the same" , are exporting more
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h
    The Russian Army just declared that one of their goals in the new phase of the war is to take all of Ukraine’s coastal regions & create a land bridge to Transnistria (de jure part of Moldova).

They also claim that Russian-speakers are persecuted in Transnistria.

Moldova next?

https://twitter.com/visegrad24

That's not happening.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

The ‘No to Nato’ campaign is showing signs of life in Sweden. At least we’re now going to have a proper debate. Sweden’s ‘alliansfriheten’ seems to have much deeper ideological roots than Finland’s.

If I remember rightly the last time Sweden and Russia went to war was when Russia annexed Finland in 1809. It maintained studious neutrality in both World Wars and refused to join NATO during the Cold War even though they entered into a number of unofficial or semi-official enterprises with it.

Meanwhile Finland has faced repeated threats from Russia ever since it regained its independence in 1917 and shares a long, problematic land border with a neighbour who appears to be suffering from enough collective paranoia to make the State of Israel blink.

I am not surprised that NATO membership is therefore more controversial in Sweden than in Finland. Whether that is ultimately sustainable without radical changes in Russia itself is a different question.
    Point of information: Finland did not regain its independence in 1917. Remove the “re”.

Icelandic independence 1944
    Finnish independence 1917
    Norwegian independence 1905
    Swedish independence 1523
    Danish unification, first half of the 10th century

The Nordic states are mostly much younger than you’d initially suspect.
    Yeah hence Amundsen beating that wazzock Scott to the s pole was even more important than you'd think. Like Scotland gaining independence and then winning the next world cup. As is very likely to happen.
    Get down the bookies.

World Cup Winner
    Scotland 500/1
    So beat Ukraine in the play offs, Iran and one of England/USA in the group, Netherlands in the Round of 16, Spain in the QF, Belgium in the Semis and France in the final.

Seems do-able.
    You have missed off the more immediate requirement - beating Cymru in Cardiff in the play off final......
    That is a given
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (-1)
    CON: 34% (-1)
    LDEM: 10% (+1)
    GRN: 5% (-)

via @techneUK, 20 - 21 Apr
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/03/what-do-the-latest-polls-say-britain-elects/

Also a new YouGov

Labour 39
    Tory 33
    LibDem 9
    Green 8

Labour lead only 6%, still well below the 10% lead for Boris to be forced out
    Indeed, and so a moderate polling lead is good news for Keir Starmer. Labour's best chance now is for a discredited Johnson to hang until 2024, with the electorate deciding that it's got no choice but to dump him given that Tory Party wouldn't. Likewise, Starmer needs a decent performance in the May 5th elections, but not one so good that the Conservatives panic.

Don't comfort yourself by relying on a supposed iron rule that oppositions always poll better mid term than in the subsequent general election. It's quite possible that 2024 could, like 2017, see Labour improving its polling in the campaign itself once there's a focus on a strong policy offer that's yet to be revealed.
    Labour is still miles away from Blair pre 1997 levels as Heathener also points out and polling already more 2017 result than 1997 result
    Most likely scenario for Labour IMO is a 5-6% swing ending up 2% behind like in 2017 or level pegging. I can see Labour getting anywhehere between 260-300 seats although I'm still cautious. Voter distribution could be much more favourable for Labour if they narrowly regain lots of seats in the North of England plus additional seats in the South while the Tories get pushed back into some of their new Midlands strongholds.
    nico679 said:

Aren’t council election predictions difficult as the headline polling hides large regional variations where Labour would be miles ahead of the Tories . Most council seats are taking place in Labour friendly areas .

I think the Tories will get completely smashed in northern Metropolitan districts but as they are mainly up by thirds apart from Bury they will avoid too much damage in terms of seat losses even if they experience record lows on councils like Trafford (where they are only defending 7 seats and won't lose more than 5).

I also can't see what councils the LDs can actually gain apart from Woking and Somerset.

I tend to think Scotland and the Midlands will probably save the day for the Tories as the Tory vote is still quite lumpy in their new strongholds in the former (even if preferences dry up somewhat) and I can't see scope for many council losses in the Midlands apart from Newcastle under Lyme to NOC.

London could still be OK for the Tories if they hang onto Barnet.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    edited April 2022

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

"42% of businesses that trade internationally are exporting less to the EU than the last five years."

"UK businesses have lost EU clients & revenue. EU firms have pulled out of UK due to increased trade frictions."

https://www.iod.com/news/eu-and-trade/iod-4-in-10-traders-are-now-exporting-less-to-the-eu/

We'll have to wait fifty years to see any benefits from Brexit. Leon was most adamant about that the other day.

The interesting thing is that Scott sees "42% are exporting less" and it triggers duckspeak, whereas I see it and read "58% aren't exporting less", and realise that 58 is more than 42.
    Can I have 42% of all your money? Don't worry - you get to keep 58% of it and 58 is more than 42.
    We see this logic quite often: substantial, irreversible economic damage is acceptable collateral for the non-economic and/or not-this-generation benefits of Brexit (it's not just Leon - Mogg sells the "not for 50 years" line, and he portrays it as virtuous act to the benefit of posterity).

That we've damaged less than half of our exporters is clearly "better than we had feared".

And that is a perfectly consistent line to take, I just don't hold with it myself.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,094
    If it’s safe enough to re-open our embassy in Kyiv, it’s safe enough to change PMs.

Boris drives a coach and horses through the very Ukraine argument he’s used to cling on to power. 🤦🏻‍♀️

https://twitter.com/fifisyms/status/1517465784410419200
  • Options
    A senior Tory has suggested that losing the upcoming by-election in Wakefield will be the moment when Conservative MPs decide to oust Boris Johnson https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/senior-tory-warns-wakefield-byelection-loss-could-be-biggest-threat-to-johnson
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,823
    For a May 2024 election, the middle 50% part of the parliament will end in April 2023.

Swing back has a start point, as well as an end point at election time, and that start point is not necessarily now.
  • Options
    EXCL: Harriet Harman could join the Commons probe into Boris Johnson under plans being considered by Labour.

Party figures want one of “the great and the good” to take Chris Bryant’s place on the privileges committee temporarily after he recused himself

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b039d19a-c1a9-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0?shareToken=46ed38427831aeff277dc43c97164c7b
  • Options
    mwadams said:

That we've damaged less than half of our exporters is clearly "better than we had feared".

And that is a perfectly consistent line to take, I just don't hold with it myself.

I am waiting to see "We haven't fucked half our economy" on the side of the Tories next battle bus...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

A senior Tory has suggested that losing the upcoming by-election in Wakefield will be the moment when Conservative MPs decide to oust Boris Johnson https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/senior-tory-warns-wakefield-byelection-loss-could-be-biggest-threat-to-johnson

Always the moment to act is in the future and the future never comes.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

I doubt it. Boris will blame any loss on Khan.

“Unique circumstances”
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson says he'll still be prime minister come October.
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1517452504707248129

What's the significance of October?
    BoZo says he wants a trade deal done by October. The Indians said no
    Talking of lies - the Indians did not say no
    You're unfair to Scott. They did. They can see a desperate Brexiter coming a kilometre off. Hence the holdout.

'The pair appeared to differ on how rapidly an agreement could be made – Johnson suggested it could be ready by the festival of Diwali in late October, but Modi pointed to the end of the year.

Johnson said: “As the next round of talks begin here next week, we are telling our negotiators, get it done by Diwali in October.”

Modi said there had been “good progress and we have decided to make all efforts to conclude the FTA [free trade agreement] by the end of this year”. Three rounds of talks had already been held.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/22/india-and-uk-to-press-ahead-with-talks-on-free-trade-deal-modi-johnson
    Sorry but I just do not agree

Scott could have quoted as you have done but he wanted to paint it as a failure as he cannot help himself
    You wouldn't, would you? This was a joint press release all about agreement. The fact that Mr M immediately corrected Mr J is the key point. Mr J is in a panic. Mr M can screw what he likes out of Mr J.
    Nonsense. There is no meaningful difference between saying an ambition by Diwali and an ambition by year end. Ambition doesn't mean deadline.

Boris was being respectful naming a date associated with his hosts. That isn't panic or differences apart from those like Scott driven mad by Brexit.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Whereas I look at the original survey and discover that 20% are exporting more, 30% are exporting the same, 42% are exporting less and 7% have stopped exporting to the EU altogether. That's pretty damning, but wholly unsurprising.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

EXCL: Harriet Harman could join the Commons probe into Boris Johnson under plans being considered by Labour.

Party figures want one of “the great and the good” to take Chris Bryant’s place on the privileges committee temporarily after he recused himself

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b039d19a-c1a9-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0?shareToken=46ed38427831aeff277dc43c97164c7b

Well she does have particular expertise in the field of breaking the law and receiving FPNs.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Whereas I look at the original survey and discover that 20% are exporting more, 30% are exporting the same, 42% are exporting less and 7% have stopped exporting to the EU altogether. That's pretty damning, but wholly unsurprising.
    Are there comparable figures for (a) the typical churn in a normal year, (b) the effect of the current unusual economic circumstances on exports from other G7 countries?

The figures certainly sound bad, but context is everything.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Scott_xP said:

That's a bloody long pregnancy - his favourite 'brilliant' metaphor for Brexit.
  • Options
    Behind the scenes of the Tory U-turn on ‘partygate’ vote

Thirteen minutes before debate on lockdown parties, Downing Street acknowledged MPs weren’t ‘prepared to go over the top’ for Boris Johnson

Thread 👇🧵
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/04/21/partygate-investigation-uturn-vote-boris-johnson-privileges/

🔴Tories were shocked to receive this message from Chris Pincher:

“Colleagues should know, following the Prime Minister’s remarks in India, that he is happy for the Commons to decide on any referrals to the privileges committee, that we will no longer move our tabled amendment”

• Options
    Nigelb said:

That's a bloody long pregnancy - his favourite 'brilliant' metaphor for Brexit.

I think the new line is having given birth, we need to wait 50 years to find out if BoZo's bastard child is a serial killer or not
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

mwadams said:

I am waiting to see "We haven't fucked half our economy" on the side of the Tories next battle bus...
    "Almost 100% of people who responded to our survey were not dead."
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,529
    dixiedean said:

The best thing for your fitness, mental health, time management, congestion and the environment you can do is walk to work.

To be fair to Boris, Active Travel is something he has pushed, often in the teeth of opposition from his party.

Trouble is, it does need a certain pattern of development to happen, which many places don't have, and which we're not encouraging enough.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    malcolmg said:

Since we're talking NIMBYs, here's a piece I read recently suggesting that car-dependent suburbia tends to create NIMBY residents in a way that more traditional, higher density urbanism doesn't. It's American, but it's plausible;

The problem with a car-dependent place is that any development at all may be a net negative for the established residents of a neighborhood. There is effectively no concession the developer can offer that turns it into a net positive in the short run. In the long run, infill development is needed to improve the fiscal solvency of these places and to create opportunities to transition away from car-dependence. But in the short run? I get more traffic in front of my house, and with me on the roads I have to drive to the businesses I patronize or work at.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2022/4/20/herriges-rezoned-the-neighbors-dilemma

But investment in better roads can improve existing roads for existing residents while freeing up land to be constructed upon to build more homes.

Case in point, Warrington has had major house building for decades and a lot of that has come with improved transport links. The M62 Junction 8 was opened only in 2002 and that freed up traffic for construction and redevelopment of the old RAF Burtonwood base while opening up a new access point to the motorway for existing residents. From memory, thousands if not more of new homes have been able to be constructed on that repurposed land.

Near to where I live was used as a rat-run to Liverpool which was heavily congested in rush hour. A new bypass has been built and traffic where I live has collapsed as they're now using the bypass instead and now new houses are getting constructed along where the extra transport links have been added.

All that is required is proper investment in roads, not thinking how do we drive people off the roads.
    Driving people off the roads is very much the mentality of the urban rich and/or those who believe in increased state control of people's lives.
    If people had viable alternative options, like regular and affordable public transport and better cycling infrastructure, and if our towns were designed better, then car use would be lower and everyone would be happier. It's not about driving people off the roads, or at least it shouldn't be.

I think you will find that cars are the #1 transport choice in the overwhelming majority of the country precisely because people are happiest having their own transport that they can go from wherever they are, to wherever they want to be in. With their own private space.

Driving on open roads from A to B is a far more pleasant experience than doing so in public transport for many people.

Yes traffic, especially on badly designed roads, may be an issue but so is congestion on public transport - and I'd be far happier sat in traffic in my own vehicle listening to my own music with my own space than stood in a crowded public vehicle crammed next to somebody's sweaty armpit.

For the vast majority of the time I drive, traffic is not a problem. Anti-car zealots seem to think that life is nothing other than traffic jams for drivers, it normally isn't.
    I much prefer to use public transport. I get to knit, or read, instead of having to concentrate on driving.

If I'm going for a walk I can do a linear walk, instead of having to return to where I parked my car.

It's one of the great things about visiting London, the absolute freedom to go anywhere across a huge city using frequent public transport.
    Yes , if only they had spent a fraction of the money spent on London transport/infrastructure in other areas of the countries we could all say that.
    It's also untrue. Despite the subsidies the tube is quite pricey - the buses often late or missing and for many, many trips you're talking slow and awkward trips that take for ever. It is almost impossible for public transport to match the convenience of door to door car/bike/m-bike journeys even in many towns and cities. And let's not forget the issue of the weather and carrying shopping,. etc., etc.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    ping said:

Scott_xP said:

“Unique circumstances”
    Plus the Conservatives could win a narrow majority and still lose Wakefield. Wakefield is only 38th on the Labour target list.

The polls and local elections will be more significant
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,913
    Latest Opinion Way poll the polar opposite of the earlier Odoxa poll.

Macron 57% (+1)
    Le Pen 43% (-1)

Fieldwork 20 to 22 April .
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited April 2022

dixiedean said:

To be fair to Boris, Active Travel is something he has pushed, often in the teeth of opposition from his party.

Trouble is, it does need a certain pattern of development to happen, which many places don't have, and which we're not encouraging enough.
    There is a huge push for people to get active, if not walking then certainly by bicycle. Listen to any London cabbie for their views on the new cycle lanes here, there and everywhere; cycle lanes that are apparent (and welcome for me, a Boris-biker) for all to see.

And I was visiting a friend nr Cambridge the other day and there was a brand spanking new cycle lane along an A-road so it is not just Khan.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272
    malcolmg said:

Yup, in the north east we have had to wait for years to replace out of date rolling stock on the metro and northern rail. I’m sure other parts of the country are the same too.

If only we’d had the same proportion of investment compared to London then there’d be far less levelling up,required.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

So there's no-one 'great and good' available and theyr'e stuck with HH?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    Cheers from the “Redneck Riviera” - Broadway, Nashville, Tennessee

Superb

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

You're unfair to Scott. They did. They can see a desperate Brexiter coming a kilometre off. Hence the holdout.

'The pair appeared to differ on how rapidly an agreement could be made – Johnson suggested it could be ready by the festival of Diwali in late October, but Modi pointed to the end of the year.

Johnson said: “As the next round of talks begin here next week, we are telling our negotiators, get it done by Diwali in October.”

Modi said there had been “good progress and we have decided to make all efforts to conclude the FTA [free trade agreement] by the end of this year”. Three rounds of talks had already been held.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/22/india-and-uk-to-press-ahead-with-talks-on-free-trade-deal-modi-johnson

Scott could have quoted as you have done but he wanted to paint it as a failure as he cannot help himself
    You wouldn't, would you? This was a joint press release all about agreement. The fact that Mr M immediately corrected Mr J is the key point. Mr J is in a panic. Mr M can screw what he likes out of Mr J.
    The Australian deal having sown the seeds of the destruction of British agriculture, I wonder what British industry this one will destroy.
    Effective trade deals offer expanded opportunities for UK exporters, not just cheaper imports to the UK
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Can I have 42% of all your money? Don't worry - you get to keep 58% of it and 58 is more than 42.
    We see this logic quite often: substantial, irreversible economic damage is acceptable collateral for the non-economic and/or not-this-generation benefits of Brexit (it's not just Leon - Mogg sells the "not for 50 years" line, and he portrays it as virtuous act to the benefit of posterity).

No economic damage is “irreversible” unless you count the loss of the sedan chair business as “irreversible economic damage” - and if you do, take pills
  • Options
    Leon said:

Superb

At five past seven in the morning. That's pretty impressive.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Macron 57% (+1)
    Le Pen 43% (-1)

Not exactly only 4% difference
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Yup, in the north east we have had to wait for years to replace out of date rolling stock on the metro and northern rail. I’m sure other parts of the country are the same too.

If only we’d had the same proportion of investment compared to London then there’d be far less levelling up,required.
    The trains on the Bakerloo Line turn 50 this year.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

German Chancellor Scholz says EU gas embargo would not end the war in Ukraine and justifies the country's reluctance to supply heavy weapons with the fear of a nuclear escalation

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/olaf-scholz-und-der-ukraine-krieg-es-darf-keinen-atomkrieg-geben-a-ae2acfbf-8125-4bf5-a273-fbcd0bd8791c

Cue Roger and Scott to tell us why Scholz is right and Johnson is wrong.
    No longer 'don't mention the war' - now it's 'don't mention Germany'.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

"by October" is included in "by the end of the year".
    So is last week. I think it's clear what Mr Modi means. Hogmanay.
    You can be sure it will be another of their "have a shit sandwich UK" deals. Wonder how much cheese Japan has bought to date, imagine trade balance buoyant on the back of it
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo flew 4000 miles to avoid Partygate (failed) and announce a trade deal (failed)

But he got to dress up again

And people used to say that Mr Benn would never be PM. Ha!
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2022
    ping said:

Scott_xP said:

“Unique circumstances”
    It isn't exactly uncommon for governments to lose by-elections in any case (particularly in a seat which was previously held by Labour for decades).
  • Options
    No wonder my room cost a fair bit more tonight; I’ve got a junior suite on the top floor of the hotel and this is my balcony!

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    nico679 said:

Macron 57% (+1)
    Le Pen 43% (-1)

In their respective final polls for the first round, both got the 4-point gap between Le Pen and Macron right. Odoxa had a lower and more accurate number for Zemmour and Pecresse compared with Opinion Way, and both underestimated Melenchon.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,529
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

It's also untrue. Despite the subsidies the tube is quite pricey - the buses often late or missing and for many, many trips you're talking slow and awkward trips that take for ever. It is almost impossible for public transport to match the convenience of door to door car/bike/m-bike journeys even in many towns and cities. And let's not forget the issue of the weather and carrying shopping,. etc., etc.
    The big thing you get from mass transit, especially when it's separate from the road network, is predictability;

https://www.tomforth.co.uk/birminghamisasmallcity/

This article compares trams and buses in rush hour, but cars will end up caught in the same jams.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

They do. That's the problem!
    smartypants you know what I meant
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Nonsense. There is no meaningful difference between saying an ambition by Diwali and an ambition by year end. Ambition doesn't mean deadline.

Boris was being respectful naming a date associated with his hosts. That isn't panic or differences apart from those like Scott driven mad by Brexit.
    It does show who's in the driving seat though.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

The taxman doesn't really ask though, does he? Its more extortion with menaces.
  • Options

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

I raise you Crossrail, 20B and rising
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Superb

I’m on nights.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Superb

Contest between two posters as to whose liver should blanch more...

Thanks here all week

Talking heads on r4 unanimous that mood has flipped against phatboi.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh dear, another agenda being ruined by facts.

Whatever next, someone complaining that one person says by next Easter while the other says by next Spring?
    Is October the end of the year?
  • Options

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Since the early 2000’s new rolling stock has been being introduced on a variety of the underground lines. Northern Line, Jubilee Line, Victoria line, Metropolitan Line and they are now replacing the three circle/district/Hammersmith and city lines. A project I worked on in its infancy and was due complete around 2016/2017. Piccadilly is next, trains to be built in Goole.

So you aren’t that hard done by.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    It's looking bad for Johnson if anyone's listening to the 1.00 BBC News. Lord Hayward thinks hes a gonner. Let's hope so. My hope is that if he goes his whole sycophantic Cabinet go with him
  • Options
    Tory peer Lord Hayward says he expects Boris Johnson to be toppled by his MPs

“It is death by a thousand cuts” #wato

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1517478536776454145
  • Options

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Tory foot firmly stuck in mouth now. Disasterous figures.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Whatever next, someone complaining that one person says by next Easter while the other says by next Spring?
    Yes it is by the end of the year.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

They have been adding to and replacing rolling stock on the underground since the early 2000’s currently replacing H&S, Circle and District line stock. When that’s done it’s the Piccadilly Line next.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Roger said:

It's looking bad for Johnson if anyone's listening to the 1.00 BBC News. Lord Hayward thinks hes a gonner. Let's hope so. My hope is that if he goes his whole sycophantic Cabinet go with him

If the Tories wish to maximise their chances for next GE they need a reset and the strong appearance of a reset.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

No economic damage is “irreversible” unless you count the loss of the sedan chair business as “irreversible economic damage” - and if you do, take pills
    I do mean "irreversible", but not *exactly* in the sedan chair sense.

The economy "as was" is irreversibly damaged (i.e. it has changed in a way that cannot be changed back - Brexit has "got done" - and we are broadly in agreement that change was net negative economically).

The economy "as it one day will be" (in 50 years, say, to pluck a date from the air) may or may not be better. So I would turn your sedan chair example around, and suggest that 50 years out means you are betting on Brexit uniquely advantaging us with respect to the development of hover shoes or similar.

I do not deny this possibility.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

So if the deal is done on 31st Dec that will be just as Boris wanted?
  • Options
    Nashville is a blast, btw

Like a kind of Trumpite Blackpool, but a lot warmer (in multiple ways)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

It does show who's in the driving seat though.
    Arguably India needs the deal more than the UK.

2% of Indian exports go to the UK but only 1% of UK exports go to India
  • Options
    felix said:

MrEd said:

German Chancellor Scholz says EU gas embargo would not end the war in Ukraine and justifies the country's reluctance to supply heavy weapons with the fear of a nuclear escalation

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/olaf-scholz-und-der-ukraine-krieg-es-darf-keinen-atomkrieg-geben-a-ae2acfbf-8125-4bf5-a273-fbcd0bd8791c

Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Johnson?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes.

As I already said ambition is not deadline

Would you quibble about one person saying Easter while another says Spring? Would you quibble that 31st May is in Spring but after Easter?
  • Options
    NEW I understand Conservative MPs have drafted post-dated no confidence letters ready to be sent to Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the 1922 committee, on May 6, the day after the local elections.
    More in today's Chopper's Politics newsletter, out now: http://telegraph.co.uk/tw-chopper-nl
  • Options

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

By your logic, so is Mayday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

is the Grand Ole Opry just a tourist trap? Have only seen it from the series, er, Nashville, which was entertaining if no Succession.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,071
    Scott_xP said:

NEW I understand Conservative MPs have drafted post-dated no confidence letters ready to be sent to Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the 1922 committee, on May 6, the day after the local elections.
    More in today's Chopper's Politics newsletter, out now: http://telegraph.co.uk/tw-chopper-nl

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The PCP is all talk and no y-fronts. Why don't they just get on with it?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes.

As I already said ambition is not deadline

Would you quibble about one person saying Easter while another says Spring? Would you quibble that 31st May is in Spring but after Easter?
    Positively @HYUFD-ish.

Loving it.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Scott_xP said:

There's only 360 of them though?

Oh, cuts. Sorry, I misread.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

The economy "as was" is irreversibly damaged (i.e. it has changed in a way that cannot be changed back - Brexit has "got done" - and we are broadly in agreement that change was net negative economically).

The economy "as it one day will be" (in 50 years, say, to pluck a date from the air) may or may not be better. So I would turn your sedan chair example around, and suggest that 50 years out means you are betting on Brexit uniquely advantaging us with respect to the development of hover shoes or similar.

I think - I may be misremembering - that the great ex-PBer @seant compared Brexit to “having a baby”. I believe I’ve got that right

Anyway. It’s a brilliant metaphor, to my mind, and one that has gone unfairly unnoticed on PB

In that metaphorical context the “irreversible economic damage” is the fact that having a baby will droop your breasts, and give you stretch marks. Irreversible. Agreed

But, you have a baby. It is now up to you - and god, and fate - what you make of that gift. The first years will probably be shit, that’s for sure

And you probably won’t know for 50 years or more if it was the right choice. Some people regret parenting, tho few admit it
  • Options

felix said:

MrEd said:

Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Johnson?
    Either way they 'don't like it up em' you 'stupid boy'!
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

I think - I may be misremembering - that the great ex-PBer @seant compared Brexit to “having a baby”. I believe I’ve got that right

Anyway. It’s a brilliant metaphor, to my mind, and one that has gone unfairly unnoticed on PB

In that metaphorical context the “irreversible economic damage” is the fact that having a baby will droop your breasts, and give you stretch marks. Irreversible. Agreed

But, you have a baby. It is now up to you - and god, and fate - what you make of that gift. The first years will probably be shit, that’s for sure

And you probably won’t know for 50 years or more if it was the right choice. Some people regret parenting, tho few admit it
    Should have had an abortion
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Scott_xP said:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

May only went after the 2019 local elections. MPs will want to see how their local Tory council candidates perform in a real election before deciding whether to remove Boris if they think their seats are at risk or not
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Roger said:

If the Tories wish to maximise their chances for next GE they need a reset and the strong appearance of a reset.
    The Tories need to ditch Boris and get a Remainer as leader. Brexit is looking stale and a Rees-Mogg or a Truss would merely prolong the sense of drift and managed decline. The new leader, whilst not advocating a reversal of Brexit, must nevertheless promise to rebuild the European consensus with Britain as its beating heart. That would completely take the wind out of Sir Keir's sails.
  • Options
    Tory peer tells me Boris Johnson has 6 weeks max ..

PM says he’ll still be in no 10 in Oct ..

https://twitter.com/sima_kotecha/status/1517482162169208832
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

An interim report from the Commission on Having Kids (Cambridge) has, after 8 years, determined that it is seriously economically damaging, but that the non-economic benefits are worth it.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

It is.

When we were having vaccine targets last year there were routinely comments interspersed with "by Easter" or "by Spring". Would you have claimed that "by Easter" is contradictory to "by Spring" or vice-versa?

That's the exact same sort of time frame as "by Diwali" and "by the end of the year".
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

is the Grand Ole Opry just a tourist trap? Have only seen it from the series, er, Nashville, which was entertaining if no Succession.
    Hard to say. The whole town is a tourist trap. It’s built on music and partying (and they take both quite seriously). It is itself.

So maybe the answer is no. It doesn’t feel fake. You come here to listen to music and get wasted, the same way you go to the City to work with money or to New Zealand to buy dairy. It feels a lot less grim than some other American cities (or indeed European cities)

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Tory peer tells me Boris Johnson has 6 weeks max ..

PM says he’ll still be in no 10 in Oct ..

https://twitter.com/sima_kotecha/status/1517482162169208832

Boris only had a few weeks left 3 months ago.
    I'm not chasing after this carrot, they can fuck off until they actually do something.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520

I have never grasped this ludicrous dichotomy between the road lobby and public transport lobby. We need both. Good public transport makes for better roads, and many people use both modes.

I have a big SUV and love driving it, in the right context. I also like using buses and tubes as they offer freedom to drink and not faff around parking that cars lack. Meanwhile, the reason why so many people use public transport down here is that it's generally pretty good.

The reason why its eschewed by many northerners is that, outside the likes of Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle and Sheffield, which have decent rapid transit systems, it's bloody awful.

Why hasn't Leeds got a tram, for instance? Pathetic.

Why are trams good?

With the advent of cheaper and cheaper battery powered electric buses, is the extra expense worth it? Considering the vast amounts of money that tram lines apparently cost.....
  • Options
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

Wrong. London buses are awesome and how you ascertain they are "late or missing" when one comes past every 3-5 minutes is beyond me. Nobody ever looks at the timetable, why would you? There's a very accurate GPS system which sends live times straight to a smartphone app, and they cost £1.65 to go any distance on one route. The vast Night Bus network runs 24/7.

Admittedly, bus services are beyond shite outside London – largely because of their deregulation outside the capital, one of the biggest blunders in UK transport history.
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

They have been adding to and replacing rolling stock on the underground since the early 2000’s currently replacing H&S, Circle and District line stock. When that’s done it’s the Piccadilly Line next.
    Piccadilly Line rolling stock is 50 years old next year. 40-50 years is the typical age at replacement of Underground rolling stock (eg 1938 Northern Line trains ran until 1988, 1967 Victoria Line stock were replaced in 2009). I love the Tyne and Wear Metro (I once travelled the whole network as a birthday treat when I was a kid) but with the rolling stock currently getting replaced it doesn't seem like it has been poorly treated compared to the London Underground.
  • Options

Roger said:

The Tories need to ditch Boris and get a Remainer as leader. Brexit is looking stale and a Rees-Mogg or a Truss would merely prolong the sense of drift and managed decline. The new leader, whilst not advocating a reversal of Brexit, must nevertheless promise to rebuild the European consensus with Britain as its beating heart. That would completely take the wind out of Sir Keir's sails.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂🤣🤣
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

An interim report from the Commission on Having Kids (Cambridge) has, after 8 years, determined that it is seriously economically damaging, but that the non-economic benefits are worth it.
    (The Commission expects to revise this opinion based on the state of diplomatic relations between 2026 and 2031.)
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Roger said:

No it would lead to mass defections of Leavers from the Tories to RefUK while winning back virtually no Remainers from Starmer Labour and the LDs.

The Tories would risk falling to 3rd as they were at the end of the May era behind Labour and the Brexit Party
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

LOL.

And, in any case, history teaches us that the 360 potential, er, cuts rarely translate into more than a couple of cuts when the time comes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Holding their for until every last one of them is tarred with the Johnson brush
  • Options

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

LOL.

And, in any case, history teaches us that the 360 potential, er, cuts rarely translate into more than a couple of cuts when the time comes.
    So it's "death" by a thousand tuts
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668

I have never grasped this ludicrous dichotomy between the road lobby and public transport lobby. We need both. Good public transport makes for better roads, and many people use both modes.

I have a big SUV and love driving it, in the right context. I also like using buses and tubes as they offer freedom to drink and not faff around parking that cars lack. Meanwhile, the reason why so many people use public transport down here is that it's generally pretty good.

The reason why its eschewed by many northerners is that, outside the likes of Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle and Sheffield, which have decent rapid transit systems, it's bloody awful.

I assume by 'down here' you mean London because in the rest of the SE it is non existent unless you want to go to London.
  • Options

felix said:

malcolmg said:

Wrong. London buses are awesome and how you ascertain they are "late or missing" when one comes past every 3-5 minutes is beyond me. Nobody ever looks at the timetable, why would you? There's a very accurate GPS system which sends live times straight to a smartphone app, and they cost £1.65 to go any distance on one route. The vast Night Bus network runs 24/7.

Admittedly, bus services are beyond shite outside London – largely because of their deregulation outside the capital, one of the biggest blunders in UK transport history.
    Edinburgh buses are really rather good in my experience
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

No it would lead to mass defections of Leavers from the Tories to RefUK while winning back virtually no Remainers from Starmer Labour and the LDs.

The Tories would risk falling to 3rd as they were at the end of the May era behind Labour and the Brexit Party
    Mordaunt or Wallace are probably the best choices if there is a vacancy although I personally think it's 50/50 thar Johnson either stands down in 2023 or fights 2024 and there is close to zero chance of him standing down/being forced out this year
  • Options

Why are trams good?

With the advent of cheaper and cheaper battery powered electric buses, is the extra expense worth it? Considering the vast amounts of money that tram lines apparently cost.....
    Trams are popular and have priority (in most cases). It's true that you could have a similar system with buses but are there any such exemplars in the UK? Buses outside London are almost universally shite due largely to their deregulation.
  • Options

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Piccadilly Line rolling stock is 50 years old next year. 40-50 years is the typical age at replacement of Underground rolling stock (eg 1938 Northern Line trains ran until 1988, 1967 Victoria Line stock were replaced in 2009). I love the Tyne and Wear Metro (I once travelled the whole network as a birthday treat when I was a kid) but with the rolling stock currently getting replaced it doesn't seem like it has been poorly treated compared to the London Underground.
    Yeah, the Newcastle tube is superb. Visitors to that city are often surprised by how extensive it is. I find it bizarre that cities like Leeds haven't managed anything similar.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

It is.

When we were having vaccine targets last year there were routinely comments interspersed with "by Easter" or "by Spring". Would you have claimed that "by Easter" is contradictory to "by Spring" or vice-versa?

That's the exact same sort of time frame as "by Diwali" and "by the end of the year".
    It is also typical of Boris. He randomly farts out a site-specific soundbite with no regard to the consequences as though there were no other factors to consider and then has to be corrected by people who are in a position to know better.

October of course is exactly year end - only a couple of months, only a few minutes partying, only a vague understanding of the law, only a bit longer lockdown, schools closed for only a few months...

This is Boris all over. But you continue to love him. Why, as @Roger asked earlier, have you chosen but one of his historic and ongoing Borisisms as a reason to fall out with him?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

Edinburgh buses are really rather good in my experience
    Might well be different in Scotland, I'm really talking from an anglocentric POV.
This discussion has been closed.