Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The human factor – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

I want everyone to know have a very high QI.

Some people quite excited about a racial component to it, I note with interest.
    As I said last night Jews have the highest verbal reasoning scores and East Asians the highest numerical reasoning scores, as pretty much all IQ scores prove.

Denying that is just denying fact
    So you ignore all the evidence that show it isn't a fact and that other variables are in play or do you also believe that Nepal has an average IQ of 43 which makes the average person from Nepal literally an idiot which is plainly nonsense.

Do you also ignore the evidence I and @rcs1000 gave you about how anyone can be trained to perform 20 points better on an IQ test in the UK or USA.
    We know you have an ideological agenda against IQ tests yes.

Even a 20 point improvement would not bridge the average 47 IQ points gap between say Japan and Mali

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/average-iq-by-country
    To quote the article that you cite:

"IQ scores typically reflect the quality of education and resources available to people in their local geographic region. Areas of the world with lower IQ scores are typically poorer and less developed, particularly in the area of education, compared to countries with higher IQ scores."

Which does rather suggest that IQ tests are not a simple measure of intelligence, but rather a lot of other societal influences too.
    I noticed Nepal was cited as a country of intellectually subnormal humans yesterday. I spent a month teaching there almost thirty years ago, and while the people were not obviously more stupid than the average Briton (I am tempted to say quite the opposite), the country was extremely poor and their education system was absolutely terrible.
    I cited the reference several times to @leon and @hyufd, but to show they were talking nonsense. The results of the IQ test show Nepalese to be at idiot level which is clearly nonsense, yet both of them still quote these tests to show racial differences. The fact they continue to do so simply implies they hold racist views.
    What crap.

Otherwise I would have said white Anglo Saxons had the highest IQs not East Asians and Jews.

Just your ideological agenda against IQ tests now turning into derogatory insults against Leon and I
    So again getting your facts wrong. As previously stated I do not have an ideological objection to IQ test. I have used them and set them (and I'm guessing you haven't). There is nothing wrong with them in context. It was my part of my job many years ago. I have no problem with them. They were very useful in helping to select people for certain roles, particularly where highly logical roles were needed. At no point were they used to determine racial differences.

I do have an objection to their misuse, which is precisely what you are doing because you haven't a clue.

What is your answer to the Nepalese question then? Do you believe they are idiots because their IQ is reported as 43 in the link you provided. If you do you are either equally an idiot or a racist because this is clearly not true. If this is not true why do you think the figures at the other end of the list are true as well and equally not due to other variables?

You also identified people from Mali in an earlier post as being in the moron range of IQ scores (although I suspect you don't even realise you have done this) and you don't think this is racist and offensive and equally not true? The numbers on that list are complete bollocks. It has nothing to do with IQ and all to do with their education.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    This thread has

blown its chances at wordle

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198
    More evidence that this war was to a timetable for Putin to have a victory parade in May?

Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews
    This clip also explains what the "Z" is supposed to symbolize: two number 7s stacked (one of them upside down), representing 77 years since Victory Day. So, to celebrate the ending of WWII Putin decided to start a WWZ.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1516231322024480768
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h
    #Russia prepares lawsuits to recover its international reserves.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1516318310786383874

===

Central Banker? Go fuck yourself!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

nico679 said:

2 questions Starmer should ask .

Your NI Secretary compared your FPN to a parking fine. Do you agree with that ?

What will you say to the British public if you receive another FPN?

Don't think those work, really:

"I take any decision on fines very seriously, and the LOTO will have heard my apology earlier."
    "I can't comment on hypotheticals, but as I say I take these matters very seriously."
    I posted the other day that I thought SKS should compare and contrast with other footling excuses he's heard in his professional life!
    Or ask what it was that he meant when he told Parliament he was furious at what Allegra Stratton said in the recording.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Mr. Malmesbury, Mensa's only one such club. There are also the Mega and Prometheus Societies.

The Diogenes Club ?

...There are many men in London, you know, who, some from shyness, some from misanthropy, have no wish for the company of their fellows. Yet they are not averse to comfortable chairs and the latest periodicals. It is for the convenience of these that the Diogenes Club was started, and it now contains the most unsociable and unclubbable men in town. No member is permitted to take the least notice of any other one. Save in the Stranger's Room, no talking is, under any circumstances, allowed, and three offences, if brought to the notice of the committee, render the talker liable to expulsion. My brother was one of the founders, and I have myself found it a very soothing atmosphere..
    That sounds like the very antithesis of the "Look! At! Me!" nature of Mensa.

I've always thought that such a club would be rather pleasant, on occasion.
    I joined Mensa in my teens in the hope that I could pick up interesting girls, with only modest success (we won't debate the reasons for that...). It wasn't full of self-important egotists, but the events weren't especially fascinating either, so I dropped out after a few years. I've not heard of them for ages and wasn't sure they still even exist.
    Still there. There's a toy IQ test you can do but so easy I assume it is just to sucker people in to do a proper one

https://www.mensa.org.uk/workout
    Trivial. I was on the phone arguing with someone and got 94% and I hate those shape ones.

As a lure it is a failure because it makes me think is that all Mensa is about? What a waste of time.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    My bit on standards-annihilator Boris Johnson, and his many little enablers https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/19/tory-party-boris-johnson-breaking-laws?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Roger said:

Sandpit said:

Glad it’s not just me!

Zoe Strimpel in the Telegraph:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/17/sorry-remainiacs-britain-far-laughing-stock-world/

She’s completely right, that people from other countries are wondering why the PM being given a cake on his birthday is a big story.

“There is more than a shred of Remainiac venom in the relentless condemnation of Britain still afoot. It’s there in Partygate, a matter so trivial, in the scheme of things, that no other ruling party in the world would be brought to its knees by it. It’s there in the reaction to the Rwanda asylum plan (a policy that has yet to be pulled off without disaster, but which, based on initial reports into what the asylum seekers can expect there, is not as awful and inhumane as the Britain-haters want to believe). And it’s there, mystifyingly, in our handling of Ukraine.

“Britain’s self-loathing problem hangs itself on whatever is going. In the case of Partygate, it’s a hugely over-egged question of which ministers secretly consumed which foodstuffs in company, where and for how long during lockdown. There is some understandable anger among parts of the electorate over this, but in the main it has simply become an excuse for distorting or drowning out everything else going on. Like trying to come up with a workable border policy. Or our exemplary attempts to save Europe from the grotesque ambition of a malign, nuke-happy Russia.

“The most embarrassing thing of all about Partygate is that in almost any other country, it wouldn’t even bubble to the surface. This is partly because most places are actually in worse shape than Britain, and next to the unrest and discontent they face, a scandal over cakes and ale would be, well, a luxury. A joke.”

Guto has to earn his salary I suppose but for Joe and all those in other countries scratching their heads here's the unabridged version

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/19/1000-days-of-boris-johnson-as-prime-minister-proroguing-parliament-partygate
    The Guardian - Roger's sense of what is an unbiased source rises to the surface again.
    Almost as if the guardian stands against everything Tories/Johnson do. I imagine you could do similar for other governments.
    By the way, the left love to denigrate Testing and track and trace in the U.K. but it should be pointed out that we have tested more than any comparable country by a long way. Did it help? I think yes, and I give the example of what went wrong with the Wolverhampton lab that gave thousands of false negatives. This led to a surge in cases in the area they were from (south west such as Bath, Bristil, Gloucester etc). At the time I was sceptical that it was just retests, but I think it’s clear there was a real surge as infected people falsely thought they were not infected and spread the disease.
    We have paid billions, but all those ‘free’ lateral flow tests are part of that. So if you are one of those who have tested three times a day, and stockpiled 100 boxes of kits, you’ve had some of that money.
    And we also have the best genomic sequencing in the world.
    Which is fine, except that most of the billions were wasted on PCR testing at testing centres, and the follow up track and trace effort.
    In terms of infection prevention far less efficient than lateral flow tests, and much more expensive.
    I’m not aware of the split in costs.
    It’s interesting that the professionals were dead against lateral flows at the start because they were not accurate enough, and so the risks of false negatives was ‘too high’. Yet you are correct to say that in practical terms they have been the better tool.
    I’m not sure I fully agree about track and trace. Ultimately the characteristics of Covid may have meant that the usual contact tracing and isolation wasn’t ever possible. This may come out in the inquiries.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

More evidence that this war was to a timetable for Putin to have a victory parade in May?

Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews
    This clip also explains what the "Z" is supposed to symbolize: two number 7s stacked (one of them upside down), representing 77 years since Victory Day. So, to celebrate the ending of WWII Putin decided to start a WWZ.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1516231322024480768

I don't think it symbolised anything to begin with, other than allowing Russian forces to identify each other. They just improvised with their propaganda after the branding caught on.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    edited April 2022

MattW said:

The one time health compensation regime that we sometimes have here throws up a lot of anomalies - not least between people who 'luck-out' with millions in a lump sum, and those who end up with much, much less on minor differences in the circs.

I recall a Homes Under the Hammer where someone used health compensation to buy a riverside flat in Central London, for example.

We also have a brobdingnagian overhang on future NHS budgets.

The reorientation needed is more towards support services and continuing income / treatment support. At some point sorting this out will become an issue like social care has become.

I have often wondered how 'compensation' awarded against an NHS trust affects patient care. Especially after sitting with a couple of accountants trying to 'balance' an organisations prescribing budget!
    It affects their CNST indemnity insurance premiums, which are banded.

https://resolution.nhs.uk/services/claims-management/clinical-schemes/clinical-negligence-scheme-for-trusts/

I occasionally get asked to comment on negligance claims either for or against NHS Trusts. I try to give clear guidance along the lines of "this case one where I would recommend early settlement" or "this case is one to be robustly defended as no negligence occurred".

It is a lottery though, and I have seen indefensible negligence cases won, and spurious cases lost. That though is more due to @Cyclefree's profession than my own.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

As I said last night Jews have the highest verbal reasoning scores and East Asians the highest numerical reasoning scores, as pretty much all IQ scores prove.

Denying that is just denying fact
    So you ignore all the evidence that show it isn't a fact and that other variables are in play or do you also believe that Nepal has an average IQ of 43 which makes the average person from Nepal literally an idiot which is plainly nonsense.

Do you also ignore the evidence I and @rcs1000 gave you about how anyone can be trained to perform 20 points better on an IQ test in the UK or USA.
    We know you have an ideological agenda against IQ tests yes.

Even a 20 point improvement would not bridge the average 47 IQ points gap between say Japan and Mali

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/average-iq-by-country
    To quote the article that you cite:

"IQ scores typically reflect the quality of education and resources available to people in their local geographic region. Areas of the world with lower IQ scores are typically poorer and less developed, particularly in the area of education, compared to countries with higher IQ scores."

Which does rather suggest that IQ tests are not a simple measure of intelligence, but rather a lot of other societal influences too.
    I noticed Nepal was cited as a country of intellectually subnormal humans yesterday. I spent a month teaching there almost thirty years ago, and while the people were not obviously more stupid than the average Briton (I am tempted to say quite the opposite), the country was extremely poor and their education system was absolutely terrible.
    I cited the reference several times to @leon and @hyufd, but to show they were talking nonsense. The results of the IQ test show Nepalese to be at idiot level which is clearly nonsense, yet both of them still quote these tests to show racial differences. The fact they continue to do so simply implies they hold racist views.
    What crap.

Otherwise I would have said white Anglo Saxons had the highest IQs not East Asians and Jews.

Just your ideological agenda against IQ tests now turning into derogatory insults against Leon and I
    So again getting your facts wrong. As previously stated I do not have an ideological objection to IQ test. I have used them and set them (and I'm guessing you haven't). There is nothing wrong with them in context. It was my part of my job many years ago. I have no problem with them. They were very useful in helping to select people for certain roles, particularly where highly logical roles were needed. At no point were they used to determine racial differences.

I do have an objection to their misuse, which is precisely what you are doing because you haven't a clue.

What is your answer to the Nepalese question then? Do you believe they are idiots because their IQ is reported as 43 in the link you provided. If you do you are either equally an idiot or a racist because this is clearly not true. If this is not true why do you think the figures at the other end of the list are true as well and equally not due to other variables?

You also identified people from Mali in an earlier post as being in the moron range of IQ scores (although I suspect you don't even realise you have done this) and you don't think this is racist and offensive and equally not true? The numbers on that list are complete bollocks. It has nothing to do with IQ and all to do with their education.

No my facts were absolutely right. I posted the IQ data.

You quite clearly do have an ideological objection to raw IQ test results as you have spent most of this thread whinging about them.

The difference between the average Japanese and Mali test results as I have already shown you is far to big to be bridged even with preparation and coaching
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

MattW said:

MattW said:

The one time health compensation regime that we sometimes have here throws up a lot of anomalies - not least between people who 'luck-out' with millions in a lump sum, and those who end up with much, much less on minor differences in the circs.

I recall a Homes Under the Hammer where someone used health compensation to buy a riverside flat in Central London, for example.

We also have a brobdingnagian overhang on future NHS budgets.

The reorientation needed is more towards support services and continuing income / treatment support. At some point sorting this out will become an issue like social care has become.

I have often wondered how 'compensation' awarded against an NHS trust affects patient care. Especially after sitting with a couple of accountants trying to 'balance' an organisations prescribing budget!
    I am not sure if that is centralised.

PFI debt is on the local institution - my local hospital currently spends £1m a week on it aiui.

Which, translated into possible patient care is huge.
    Of course, it wouldn't help with staff recruitment since there aren't any available. In significant number, anyway.
    We could always try training more staff. Crazy idea, I know....
    From where?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

I think you missed the 'joke' in my post. ;)
    No I got that. My comment was ad hoc.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Glad it’s not just me!

Zoe Strimpel in the Telegraph:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/17/sorry-remainiacs-britain-far-laughing-stock-world/

She’s completely right, that people from other countries are wondering why the PM being given a cake on his birthday is a big story.

“There is more than a shred of Remainiac venom in the relentless condemnation of Britain still afoot. It’s there in Partygate, a matter so trivial, in the scheme of things, that no other ruling party in the world would be brought to its knees by it. It’s there in the reaction to the Rwanda asylum plan (a policy that has yet to be pulled off without disaster, but which, based on initial reports into what the asylum seekers can expect there, is not as awful and inhumane as the Britain-haters want to believe). And it’s there, mystifyingly, in our handling of Ukraine.

“Britain’s self-loathing problem hangs itself on whatever is going. In the case of Partygate, it’s a hugely over-egged question of which ministers secretly consumed which foodstuffs in company, where and for how long during lockdown. There is some understandable anger among parts of the electorate over this, but in the main it has simply become an excuse for distorting or drowning out everything else going on. Like trying to come up with a workable border policy. Or our exemplary attempts to save Europe from the grotesque ambition of a malign, nuke-happy Russia.

“The most embarrassing thing of all about Partygate is that in almost any other country, it wouldn’t even bubble to the surface. This is partly because most places are actually in worse shape than Britain, and next to the unrest and discontent they face, a scandal over cakes and ale would be, well, a luxury. A joke.”

No, you are not alone in missing the whole point.

Not about cake. About entitlement, hypocrisy, lying to parliament. About fitness for high office.
    If it was a Labour politician, you would be telling us about why it's different, doesn't matter etc.

You don't hold principles, you hold sides.
    Why do you assume I'm like you? Odd.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Caption competition time...

“I was briefed they are mini reactors these days, but this technology is amazing.”
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Leon said:

I think it is fake. Apologies!

Lol, lol, lol
This discussion has been closed.