Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BoJo’s survival makes PM Keir a better bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,081

🗳NEW: Westminster Voting Intention

🌹LAB: 43% (+3)
    🌳CON: 32% (-2)
    🔶LDM: 9% (-1)

via, @DeltapollUK • Changes w/08-11/03

@bigjohnowls please explain

Labour majority of 36 plugging those numbers into Electoral Calculus.

Wait till the cost of living crisis REALLY kicks in.
    It’s a bit ironic Boris being undone by something that isn’t really his fault…
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1515394868595539968
    BREAKING: India reportedly cancels plans to buy 48 Mi-17 V5 helicopters from Russia…
    … This plan is being linked to India's push to transition towards domestic-made military equipment and is not framed as a rejection of Russia. But the timing of this move, if confirmed, is striking given U.S. pressure over India's Russia ties.

Could it be partly because the Indians have noticed how easily the Ukrainian shot done Russian Helicopters?

Ok probably not, but
    I'm absolutely convinced that the Indians (and the Chinese, and a bunch of others) have noticed how Anglo-Swedish NLAWs, British Starstreak and French Martlets have absolutely massacred Russian kit.

They have taken out the Russian flagship of the Black Sea fleet, hundreds of tanks, and many helicopters and planes.

The idea that is not reverberating through the operators of Russian kit around the world is for the birds.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak broke the law at a time when the rest of Britain was sticking to the rules and staying at home.

Britain deserves better.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1514951685415718915

Ouch.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Beyond the headline Deltapoll number, there’s an eight point Labour lead on the economy, Starmer is well ahead of Johnson and immigration and asylum are way down the list of priorities. In every respect it is a horrible poll for the Tories.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

Is there any serious work being done in Europe at the moment to prepare for an embargo of Russian oil and gas? How would we get through the winter? These things need to be considered now. I fear not enough is being done.

Could the Ukrainians be victims of their own success? Now it's assumed Russia isn't going to 'win' the war I worry people are getting complacent again. We shouldn't be tolerant of a prolonged conflict even if it's largely restricted to the east with missiles being fired into the cities on a regular basis. It was smart of Zelensky to use the Israel comparison. Having to deal with a permanent enemy who denies your right to exist.

AFAIK, coal imports are now completely banned in the EU. The main gas policy is to enforce all storage is full ahead of winter, which means more imports during the summer. There aren't any gas embargos planned at the EU level, although some countries are going further. Oil, which is the most lucrative one for Russia, is inching towards a phased embargo in the next round of EU sanctions. There are technical and political issues to sort out.
    Oil is an irrelevancy, because it is (ignoring complexities of refining) fungible. The EU could give up Russian oil tomorrow, and (other than it enriching tanker owners), it would have no problem with availability. Russian cargoes bound for Europe will instead go to China or India or any one of a dozen countries who will love picking up oil at a couple of dollars discount. Those who impose sanctions, on the other hand, buy the oil previously destined for those countries... and pay a few dollars premium.

There is no EU ban on coal imports.
    What about the costs of sending it to India/China?
    If Russia is denied the Black Sea and the Gulf of Finland as routes for oil exports they'll be in a bit of a pickle even though the commodity is fungible.

Wouldn't that be a effective declaration of war? I suppose we could argue that we will embargo your ships if you stop vessels leaving Odessa.
    Yeah, I take back my naïve musing on the topic. Too fraught.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

To all those people who say we need to stop the war ASAP and not be sending more weapons to Ukraine - fine. But what sort of peace agreement do you envisage? Very few people seem to be answering that question. Just an assumption of 'oh well if both sides put down their arms they're bound to be able to compromise.'

well I am no expert on the demographics of Ukraine but I imagine a settlement will need to be drawn up along something that resembles those lines - Its not the best solution and I condemn Russia for the war FWIW but let me turn it around and ask you what do you hope to achieve by prolonging the war because Russia is not going to be pushed back to its borders and go home by military force - look at the size of the two armies for that
    I wouldn’t be so sure of that. The Russians seem to have badly underestimated the opposition. They clearly expected to seize the capital in short order and failed. They have lost epic quantities of kit, including one of the biggest warship lost for 40 odd years, if not longer. We cannot know for sure how many Russians have died, but it’s a lot, including at general rank.
    The west continues to supply arms.
    This does not necessarily end with a Russian win.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

Attending parties definitely was his fault
  • Options

Lord Frost is the man to hold key Red Wall seat, says Tories:

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1515433739291136005

Jesus, they are doomed

Yes, a lord is the perfect chap for Wakefield. Should fit right in...
  • Options

LIVERPOOL FC!

Ed Balls
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,790

Andy_JS said:

Electoral Calculus is forecasting the Tories will lose 800 council seats — but no councils. Interesting combination.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_localelectionpoll_20220415.html

How many councils do they actually hold in the urban areas that are coming up in May? A handful in London - but I doubt much else.
    The boffins on the VoteUK discussion forum seem to believe it's very unlikely the Tories won't lose any councils at the local elections.
  • Options

Jesus, they are doomed

Is it your dog tubbs?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

If Wandsworth is not a Labour gain the polls have to be wrong surely

Local issues could partly counteract things as well? If Labour does gain Wandsworth, I think it will be a smaller majority.

https://www.pollcat-stats.com/london2022/

This website is interesting, it predicts a Labour majority of 1 in Barnet (which is credible) and huge Labour majorities in both Wandsworth and very dubiously Westminster.

I think it is a bit hard on the LDs overall and Labour could still end up slightly down in seats even if they gain Barnet and/or Wandsworth.

Also predicts a Tory surge in Sutton.
    It also predicts the Conservatives to be wiped out in both Kingston and Richmond yet will win a seat in Barking & Dagenham.

Not convinced.
  • Options

Jesus, they are doomed

Is it your dog tubbs?
    In the profile picture, yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

back to the Sinking of the Russian Flagship Moskova.

It seems that the Russian Orthodox Church had placed one of there relocks on the ship, a fragment from the cross that Jesus was crucified on. That has presumably gone down with the Ship.

(Please can we not argue about weather it was really a fragment of the cross, HYDF will say one thing and everybody else the other and we will be here all night, so please lets not go down that road. However the significant thing here is the Russian Orthodox Church pronated that it was. and this shoes:

1) The ridiculously close relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church, and the Russian State and armed forces. Whatever ones opinion of the separation of church and state, Russia today is at an absolute extreme end of this spectrum.

2) The Russians really did not expect this ship to be sunk.

Link: https://tass.com/society/1123855?utm_source=wlord.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wlord.org&utm_referrer=wlord.org

Oh please can we argue about a piece of wood?
    Are we suggesting Putin no longer has wood?
    Nailed it.
    No wonder it made him cross....
    A poor workman blames his tools. But....

I would not call myself a Christian at all anymore but that is sick and offensive. What were they thinking?
    Free advertising. Cue the shock and publicity, and they get far more exposure than they ever would.

Not sure they would have tried it with a Mohammed related advert though.
    Indeed.

It is somewhat offensive but I have seen worse.

Fortunately for the author Christians will not issue a Fatwa of death against him for insulting their main prophet though, so he has to go into hiding
    Why do you find it offensive though?

It acknowledges the fundamental truth of our shared beliefs - that the crucifixion was not the end for the Risen Christ.

They may claim - in a jokey fashion - that it was down to human failing rather than God’s mystery, but that’s a relatively minor transgression in the scheme of things
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

BREAKING: India reportedly cancels plans to buy 48 Mi-17 V5 helicopters from Russia…
    … This plan is being linked to India's push to transition towards domestic-made military equipment and is not framed as a rejection of Russia. But the timing of this move, if confirmed, is striking given U.S. pressure over India's Russia ties.

Could it be partly because the Indians have noticed how easily the Ukrainian shot done Russian Helicopters?

Ok probably not, but
    I'm absolutely convinced that the Indians (and the Chinese, and a bunch of others) have noticed how Anglo-Swedish NLAWs, British Starstreak and French Martlets have absolutely massacred Russian kit.

They have taken out the Russian flagship of the Black Sea fleet, hundreds of tanks, and many helicopters and planes.

The idea that is not reverberating through the operators of Russian kit around the world is for the birds.
    Any country that has been buying Russian kit must be having doubts about the wisdom of buying any more. Russia = crap.
  • Options

Jesus, they are doomed

Is it your dog tubbs?
    Lovely dog!!! What breed is it?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728

Gordon Brown says Hi!
  • Options

Gordon Brown says Hi!
    I wonder if this will be the Tory GFC
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Deltapoll is an 11.5% swing from the Conservatives to Labour from the 2019 GE. That. as has been already been mentioned, would see Labour back with a working majority.

In terms of next month's locals, what does it tell us? This time four years ago, the Conservatives led Labour in most polls - up to five points ahead with YouGov. The question is how will the protest vote manifest? In different forms depending on the location would seem the obvious answers.

Any candidate from any or no party able to clearly position themselves as the likely beneficiary of a protest vote is likely to benefit so while Labour may do well we could well see both the LDs and Greens advance as well as Independent and Residents candidates.

We've seen 800 Conservative losses referenced - that would be 40% of all sitting Conservative councillors in this cycle - that seems high. In 2019, the party lost 1,330 seats but still elected 3,594 councillors. I'm not sure for instance what the scope for further losses in London would be - to take out 40% would mean 200 losses in the capital which may be stretching it a bit.

Nonetheless, losing Barnet and Wandsworth now seems conceivable - could Hillingdon fall as well leaving Kensington & Chelsea, Westminster, Bromley and Bexley as London Boroughs with Conservative majorities?

I really can't see Hillingdon falling TBH, Tories even increased their seats there in 2018 ( https://www.pollcat-stats.com/london2022/hillingdon/) I'm not even convinced Labour will gain more than 1 council in London although I think Westminster is the totemic one and Labour are certain to win the popular vote there even if not most seats.
  • Options

Jesus, they are doomed

Is it your dog tubbs?
    Spanish podenco. Rescued (not by us). Slightly unusual as most podencos are brown, short haired and a bit smaller but she is lovely, and for a rescue totally chilled out.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526

How very karmic.

And whilst the government can do very little about the incoming cost of living wave, they can decide how to distribute the pain. And bless their cotton socks, Rishi and Boris aren't ideal casting to inspire confidence in doing that well.

But yes, the clock has struck midnight and the carriage has started turning back into a pumpkin, and BoJo had the bad luck that the inevitable has happened on his watch.

Can't say I feel sorry for him, though.
  • Options
    OldBasing said:

On that poll Labour would gain Basingstoke, is there value in the bets there now if possible to bet?

Sitting here in Basingstoke, I still can't see it; although the proposed boundary changes make the constituency more centred on the town itself and loses some of the rural (Tory) hinterland.
    Given that Basingstoke has previously had a DUP MP…
  • Options

Gordon Brown says Hi!
    I thought Brown was undone by not having any ideas left when he reached the job he’d wanted all his life?
  • Options

OldBasing said:

On that poll Labour would gain Basingstoke, is there value in the bets there now if possible to bet?

Sitting here in Basingstoke, I still can't see it; although the proposed boundary changes make the constituency more centred on the town itself and loses some of the rural (Tory) hinterland.
    Hope you are doing well @OldBasing, I am down in your neck of the woods over Easter.
    As am I…
  • Options

Gordon Brown says Hi!
    It's gonna be worse, sadly for those already struggling.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

It seems that the Russian Orthodox Church had placed one of there relocks on the ship, a fragment from the cross that Jesus was crucified on. That has presumably gone down with the Ship.

(Please can we not argue about weather it was really a fragment of the cross, HYDF will say one thing and everybody else the other and we will be here all night, so please lets not go down that road. However the significant thing here is the Russian Orthodox Church pronated that it was. and this shoes:

1) The ridiculously close relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church, and the Russian State and armed forces. Whatever ones opinion of the separation of church and state, Russia today is at an absolute extreme end of this spectrum.

Link: https://tass.com/society/1123855?utm_source=wlord.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wlord.org&utm_referrer=wlord.org

Nailed it.

I would not call myself a Christian at all anymore but that is sick and offensive. What were they thinking?
    Free advertising. Cue the shock and publicity, and they get far more exposure than they ever would.

Indeed.

Fortunately for the author Christians will not issue a Fatwa of death against him for insulting their main prophet though, so he has to go into hiding

It acknowledges the fundamental truth of our shared beliefs - that the crucifixion was not the end for the Risen Christ.

They may claim - in a jokey fashion - that it was down to human failing rather than God’s mystery, but that’s a relatively minor transgression in the scheme of things
    I dont find it offensive and its rather witty but the point is well made that the authors of it would not have done the same to a depiction of Mohammed etc .I personally wish we could live in a country where you can "tease" religion and its icons but it should be the same for all and clearly we live in a country where you can make jokes about Jesus and his death but not other historical leaders
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61129151

The Russian Navy, have been sowing off a group of men that they clamed are from the Muskova, maybe, but one question the BBC article does not address is where is the Captain?
  • Options

OldBasing said:

Not elected though, he was a traitorous pig dog defector.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

stodge said:

Deltapoll is an 11.5% swing from the Conservatives to Labour from the 2019 GE. That. as has been already been mentioned, would see Labour back with a working majority.

In terms of next month's locals, what does it tell us? This time four years ago, the Conservatives led Labour in most polls - up to five points ahead with YouGov. The question is how will the protest vote manifest? In different forms depending on the location would seem the obvious answers.

Any candidate from any or no party able to clearly position themselves as the likely beneficiary of a protest vote is likely to benefit so while Labour may do well we could well see both the LDs and Greens advance as well as Independent and Residents candidates.

We've seen 800 Conservative losses referenced - that would be 40% of all sitting Conservative councillors in this cycle - that seems high. In 2019, the party lost 1,330 seats but still elected 3,594 councillors. I'm not sure for instance what the scope for further losses in London would be - to take out 40% would mean 200 losses in the capital which may be stretching it a bit.

Nonetheless, losing Barnet and Wandsworth now seems conceivable - could Hillingdon fall as well leaving Kensington & Chelsea, Westminster, Bromley and Bexley as London Boroughs with Conservative majorities?

I really can't see Hillingdon falling TBH, Tories even increased their seats there in 2018 ( https://www.pollcat-stats.com/london2022/hillingdon/) I'm not even convinced Labour will gain more than 1 council in London although I think Westminster is the totemic one and Labour are certain to win the popular vote there even if not most seats.
    Labour should win Westminster on the Deltapoll swing. Wandsworth and Barnet should also fall.

That would leave Bexley, Bromley, Hillingdon and Kensington and Chelsea as the only Tory controlled councils left in London
  • Options

Attending parties definitely was his fault
    Sure - in my view the voters don’t care about that. It’s the cost of living that’s hurting
  • Options

stodge said:

If you are going to rely on Pollcat for your London election predictions, you might as well do your horse race betting based on my Saturday Patent.

We have no real clue how firm or soft the Conservative vote is in the individual Boroughs. Hillingdon is a reverse Croydon - Conservative in the north and Labour in the south but boundary changes make prediction even more difficult.

I accept local election results are often uneven and don't always reflect the national picture but I find the Pollcat numbers very hard to accept even if they are what you want to see.
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for Tories who are Christians.

• Options

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

I dont find it offensive and its rather witty but the point is well made that the authors of it would not have done the same to a depiction of Mohammed etc .I personally wish we could live in a country where you can "tease" religion and its icons but it should be the same for all and clearly we live in a country where you can make jokes about Jesus and his death but not other historical leaders
    Can’t argue with that. I think there are signs that parts of Islam is throwing off the shackles a bit and becoming more westernised. The ability to laugh at your own religion or indeed have others do it should be a mark of civilisation.
    You are totally right that they wouldn’t dream of doing it about Mohamed.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

Maybe but you can bet they would not have risked making a similar poster campaign about the Prophet Muhammad
  • Options

Gordon Brown says Hi!
    Brown’s actions over a decade and more at the apex of British politics structurally undermined the British economy and meant we were particularly poorly placed going into the financial crisis
  • Options

Gordon Brown says Hi!
    Brown’s actions over a decade and more at the apex of British politics structurally undermined the British economy and meant we were particularly poorly placed going into the financial crisis
    The Tory mismanagement of the economy over the last decade+ has left us exposed. The script writes itself, Labour should just run GE2010 again and use all the Tory lines
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Electoral Calculus is forecasting the Tories will lose 800 council seats — but no councils. Interesting combination.

How many councils do they actually hold in the urban areas that are coming up in May? A handful in London - but I doubt much else.
    The boffins on the VoteUK discussion forum seem to believe it's very unlikely the Tories won't lose any councils at the local elections.
    It's true that there aren't many councils that are likely to go directly from Conservative to Labour as opposed to Conservative to NOC or NOC to Labour. Outside of London only Southampton leaps to mind.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

Can’t argue with that. I think there are signs that parts of Islam is throwing off the shackles a bit and becoming more westernised. The ability to laugh at your own religion or indeed have others do it should be a mark of civilisation.
    You are totally right that they wouldn’t dream of doing it about Mohamed.
    Had they done it about Mohammed they would have to have gone into hiding as they would almost certainly have had death threats
  • Options

Thoughts and prayers for Tories who are Christians.

The Matt cartoon's a classic.

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1515435461153640451?s=20&t=V-XgVVn1b1kCck4HDDNkyQ
  • Options

Jesus, they are doomed

Is it your dog tubbs?
    Spanish podenco. Rescued (not by us). Slightly unusual as most podencos are brown, short haired and a bit smaller but she is lovely, and for a rescue totally chilled out.
    Looks like a lovely doggo, I am always glad when rescues are given a new home <3 I am sure she appreciates it.
  • Options

OldBasing said:

Not elected though, he was a traitorous pig dog defector.
    He was elected… just not for the DUP…

(I phrased my post carefully)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278

Gordon Brown says Hi!
    It's gonna be worse, sadly for those already struggling.
    Labour need to be ready to answer the question: what would you do about it?

Reeves is the best person, short of Ed Balls, to answer the question, so Starmer has got that right - but still needs an answer.

Johnson wants Our Brexit and Trans Toilets to be 2024.

Starmer must make it: are you better off now than you were four years ago etc etc.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Tremendous poll for Scottish and Welsh Labour.
    Scottish and Welsh Conservatives in meltdown territory.

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

(Deltapoll/Mail on Sunday; Sample Size: 1,550; Fieldwork: 13th - 14th April 2022)

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

Maybe but you can bet they would not have risked making a similar poster campaign about the Prophet Muhammad
    Why should I care if people get their knickers in a twist about some tribal leader who died over a thousand years ago?
  • Options

Jesus, they are doomed

Is it your dog tubbs?
    Looks like a lovely doggo, I am always glad when rescues are given a new home I am sure she appreciates it.
    Certainly seems to, although we think she secretly likes one of the daycares she goes to more. The owner has her own dog that is best friends with ours. Rather lovely seeing them play together.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,753
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

Ok probably not, but

I doubt China is too concerned.
    The real Russian deficiency is in modern electronic systems, which is not so much a problem for them - not indeed is the economic wherewithal to retire and replace their obsolete kit.

But you’re right that there are also plenty of alternate suppliers now, even if they’re not quite so cheap. And people will certainly be thinking quality is at least as important as quantity.
  • Options

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

(Deltapoll/Mail on Sunday; Sample Size: 1,550; Fieldwork: 13th - 14th April 2022)

Jesus, the South is disappearing but the Midlands still holding firm?

Is Scottish Labour having a comeback? Is 10+ seats on the cards?
  • Options

Jesus, they are doomed

Is it your dog tubbs?
    Is it April 1st again?
  • Options
    Frost vs Balls.

• Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

If you are going to rely on Pollcat for your London election predictions, you might as well do your horse race betting based on my Saturday Patent.

We have no real clue how firm or soft the Conservative vote is in the individual Boroughs. Hillingdon is a reverse Croydon - Conservative in the north and Labour in the south but boundary changes make prediction even more difficult.

I accept local election results are often uneven and don't always reflect the national picture but I find the Pollcat numbers very hard to accept even if they are what you want to see.
    I'm not relying on it and I want the Tories to do badly, I think their Barnet prediction is entirely credible in every way but other stuff not. I suppose the Tories are likely to retain a handful of seats on Richmond and Kingston in places like Barnes and Coombe respectively for instance and I guess the LDs will probably hold Sutton but I don’t know if their majority will rise or fall.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

Why should I care if people get their knickers in a twist about some tribal leader who died over a thousand years ago?
    If you have death threats and have to spend years of your life in hiding like Rushdie you might. The Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were even assassinated for their cartoon
  • Options
    Is there a Lab local councillor in Wakefield called Nixon?
  • Options

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

Tories still ahead in the Midlands though as well as the South
  • Options

Frost vs Balls.

That'll get the brass monkeys chattering!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

If you have death threats and have to spend years of your life in hiding like Rushdie you might. The Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were even assassinated for their cartoon
    And those threats - whether by individuals or governments - should be condemned by the government. A liberal society is nothing without free speech.
  • Options

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

There was a small piece in Observer a couple of weeks ago, whispering the same thought.

Starmer is transformed as 'next PM' if Scots Lab starts to come back from the dead imho.

• Options
    stodge said:

If Wandsworth is not a Labour gain the polls have to be wrong surely

Local issues could partly counteract things as well? If Labour does gain Wandsworth, I think it will be a smaller majority.

https://www.pollcat-stats.com/london2022/

This website is interesting, it predicts a Labour majority of 1 in Barnet (which is credible) and huge Labour majorities in both Wandsworth and very dubiously Westminster.

I think it is a bit hard on the LDs overall and Labour could still end up slightly down in seats even if they gain Barnet and/or Wandsworth.

Also predicts a Tory surge in Sutton.
    It also predicts the Conservatives to be wiped out in both Kingston and Richmond yet will win a seat in Barking & Dagenham.

Not convinced.
    I'm convinced about MRP at constituency level, but I'm not sure it maps onto council wards. The turnout is low, so a lot depends on how well local parties get their vote out, and what the micro-quirks are.

Take Havering. (Please, take it.) Flagged as a possible Conservative gain in the MRP.

Rationally, it ought to be very Conservative. Even more so than Bromley, because it doesn't have a outer-inner London bit like Crystal Palace. It isn't very Conservative because of the effect of Residents' Associations. Both the Con-RA battles and the battles within and between RAs.

To take the the other place I know well, the result will depend almost entirely on whether one professional activist is having a good year or not. It could go either way.

Add up all those local stories, the quirks wash out and you can discern something about the national picture. But I'd hate to go the other way.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

To all those people who say we need to stop the war ASAP and not be sending more weapons to Ukraine - fine. But what sort of peace agreement do you envisage? Very few people seem to be answering that question. Just an assumption of 'oh well if both sides put down their arms they're bound to be able to compromise.'

well I am no expert on the demographics of Ukraine but I imagine a settlement will need to be drawn up along something that resembles those lines - Its not the best solution and I condemn Russia for the war FWIW but let me turn it around and ask you what do you hope to achieve by prolonging the war because Russia is not going to be pushed back to its borders and go home by military force - look at the size of the two armies for that
    What do you mean by demographics? Are you under the mistaken impression that there are plenty of areas of Ukraine just waiting to be invited to join the Russian republic? And I wouldn't assume the Russian army is bigger either. They are suffering serious attrition and morale issues. On the other hand the Ukrainians are probably training a reserve army in the hundreds of thousands. It's curious how confident they are of victory. Naive? Maybe. Maybe not.
  • Options

I'm not relying on it and I want the Tories to do badly, I think their Barnet prediction is entirely credible in every way but other stuff not. I suppose the Tories are likely to retain a handful of seats on Richmond and Kingston in places like Barnes and Coombe respectively for instance and I guess the LDs will probably hold Sutton but I don’t know if their majority will rise or fall.

The Conservatives have never been wiped off either Kingston or Richmond - both Boroughs have solid Conservative Wards - though the Tories were once down to 3 or 4 in Richmond, I don't think they've been lower than 10 in Kingston.

As for Sutton, I could see the LDs losing their majority but how the seats will change with the new boundaries is much harder to call.

I just think Pollcat's predictions are in a sense too extreme and in another sense not extreme enough.

With Deltapoll showing the Conservatives at 20% in London, you do wonder if we will see some surprises but I have to say the Conservatives winning a seat in Barking & Dagenham would be right up there.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    To add - I accept Crimea may be an exception in wanting to be Russian but they should at least be asked about it through a proper process. Something I doubt the Russian state would be too keen on.
  • Options
    This is the bit that will be sending panic amongst the shires...

Will Jennings
    @drjennings
    ·
    35m
    Just one poll etc but the latest from

@DeltapollUK

puts Labour well ahead of the Conservatives on the economy.
  • Options

On that poll Labour would gain East Lothian Coast and Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath (and hold Edinburgh South).

If you offered that to Sarwar right now, he’d bite your hand off.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The Conservatives have never been wiped off either Kingston or Richmond - both Boroughs have solid Conservative Wards - though the Tories were once down to 3 or 4 in Richmond, I don't think they've been lower than 10 in Kingston.

As for Sutton, I could see the LDs losing their majority but how the seats will change with the new boundaries is much harder to call.

I just think Pollcat's predictions are in a sense too extreme and in another sense not extreme enough.

With Deltapoll showing the Conservatives at 20% in London, you do wonder if we will see some surprises but I have to say the Conservatives winning a seat in Barking & Dagenham would be right up there.
    The Tories voteshare was up in Dagenham in 2019, even if it was down across London as a whole
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,790
    edited April 2022

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

It's true that there aren't many councils that are likely to go directly from Conservative to Labour as opposed to Conservative to NOC or NOC to Labour. Outside of London only Southampton leaps to mind.
    Although no Tory losses includes the Tories not losing councils to NOC, which seems unlikely.
  • Options

You appear to have some mystical foretelling skills. But, ignoring those, would you like to see Russia pushed back to its borders?

Or do you think that would be too ‘dangerous’?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

And those threats - whether by individuals or governments - should be condemned by the government. A liberal society is nothing without free speech.
    True but some British Muslims are anything but Liberal. Half want homosexuality to be illegal and a quarter want Sharia law

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
  • Options

We're almost at 1997 levels of support now.
    But without the 55 Scottish seats, it’s a harder mountain to climb.
    Indeed. That Deltapoll is fantastic for Labour, especially for Scottish Labour (at 29% compared to 18.6% at the last UK GE). However, Baxter gives the following seat distribution, based on the new boundaries:

SNP 54 seats (+6)
    SLab 3 seats (+2)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)
    SLD 0 seats (-2)

Starmer needs to introduce PR.
  • Options

Will Jennings
    @drjennings
    ·
    35m

@DeltapollUK

You think the shires read polls?

How sweet…
  • Options

Brexit isn’t his fault?!
  • Options
    stodge said:

I don't think the Tories will poll less than 25% in London - I only realistically expect a 4% swing to Labour from 2018.
  • Options

We're almost at 1997 levels of support now.
    But without the 55 Scottish seats, it’s a harder mountain to climb.
    Indeed. That Deltapoll is fantastic for Labour, especially for Scottish Labour (at 29% compared to 18.6% at the last UK GE). However, Baxter gives the following seat distribution, based on the new boundaries:

SNP 54 seats (+6)
    SLab 3 seats (+2)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)
    SLD 0 seats (-2)

Starmer needs to introduce PR.
    Then Labour splits, Corbynites would walk out and start their own party
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Nailed it.

Indeed.

True but some British Muslims are anything but Liberal. Half want homosexuality to be illegal and a quarter want Sharia law

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
    It’s not up to one small interest group to determine what “society” does or doesn’t permit. That’s why we have a parliament elected to represent various constituencies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

The Tories voteshare was up in Dagenham in 2019, even if it was down across London as a whole
    There are a couple of things going on at once- the shift of Brexity/older WWC voters into the Conservative column, and the demographic change where outer East London is becoming more like London and less like Essex.

If I had to guess, this will be fine for the Conservatives in 2022, but not in 2026.
  • Options

Brexit isn’t his fault?!
    It’s the cost of living not brexit that is causing the tories problems
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

You appear to have some mystical foretelling skills. But, ignoring those, would you like to see Russia pushed back to its borders?

As someone on twitter pointed out, the 'realists' are having a terrible war, and are still largely ignoring the actual - the real - developments in the war.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

Ah, here we see the magic effect of the Rwanda proposals on those working-class Northern seats...

or not.

It would be helpful to know the comparative figures for 2019 for each region - is there an overview somewhere? The "Rest of South" is a bit problematic for tactical voting, as on those figures there will certainly be seats that Labour could win that appear to have the LibDems as main challengers because of tactical voting last time.

It's hard to believe how awful the Conservative figures in Wales are. They got 36.1% last time, so they've more than halved.
  • Options

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

The Midlands have the lowest propensity to actually cast a vote. Differential turnout could turn this into a Tory rout.

And no, 10+ SLab seats is not on the cards. Yet.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,275
    edited April 2022
    TimT said:

As someone on twitter pointed out, the 'realists' are having a terrible war, and are still largely ignoring the actual - the real - developments in the war.
    A tweet I read earlier said that something along the lines of - if you ever wondered what you would have done about Hitler; it’s what you’re doing now.
  • Options

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

Ah, here we see the magic effect of the Rwanda proposals on those working-class Northern seats...

or not.

It would be helpful to know the comparative figures for 2019 for each region - is there an overview somewhere? The "Rest of South" is a bit problematic for tactical voting, as on those figures there will certainly be seats that Labour could win that appear to have the LibDems as main challengers because of tactical voting last time.

It's hard to believe how awful the Conservative figures in Wales are. They got 36.1% last time, so they've more than halved.
    Come on now Nick, you’re better than that. Look at the polling dates.
  • Options

TimT said:

A tweet I read earlier said that something along the lines of - if you ever wondered what you would have done about Hitler; it’s what you’re doing now.
    I dunno about that. The Turkish Bayraktar drone had not been invented in 1938. Nor the Javelin.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

Tories still ahead in the Midlands though as well as the South
    The South is MOE territory. Mind you, Tory resistance in the Midlands is truly remarkable. We see it in poll after poll. But we really need to see some proper, full-sample polls in London and the English regions. They are surprisingly rare.
  • Options

Will Jennings
    @drjennings
    ·
    35m

@DeltapollUK

You think the shires read polls?

How sweet…
    Ok. The representatives of the shires.
  • Options

TimT said:

I dunno about that. The Turkish Bayraktar drone had not been invented in 1938. Nor the Javelin.
    Some people would prefer us not to carry on supplying weapons to Ukraine.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

Is there any serious work being done in Europe at the moment to prepare for an embargo of Russian oil and gas? How would we get through the winter? These things need to be considered now. I fear not enough is being done.

Could the Ukrainians be victims of their own success? Now it's assumed Russia isn't going to 'win' the war I worry people are getting complacent again. We shouldn't be tolerant of a prolonged conflict even if it's largely restricted to the east with missiles being fired into the cities on a regular basis. It was smart of Zelensky to use the Israel comparison. Having to deal with a permanent enemy who denies your right to exist.

AFAIK, coal imports are now completely banned in the EU. The main gas policy is to enforce all storage is full ahead of winter, which means more imports during the summer. There aren't any gas embargos planned at the EU level, although some countries are going further. Oil, which is the most lucrative one for Russia, is inching towards a phased embargo in the next round of EU sanctions. There are technical and political issues to sort out.
    Oil is an irrelevancy, because it is (ignoring complexities of refining) fungible. The EU could give up Russian oil tomorrow, and (other than it enriching tanker owners), it would have no problem with availability. Russian cargoes bound for Europe will instead go to China or India or any one of a dozen countries who will love picking up oil at a couple of dollars discount. Those who impose sanctions, on the other hand, buy the oil previously destined for those countries... and pay a few dollars premium.

Well, it's a longer tanker journey, which means greater pressure on tanker day rates and more days, but remember that a VLCC will carry more than - and I'm not joking here - two million barrels of oil.

At $100/barrel, that means it's carrying at least two hundred million dollar of crude oil. And maybe as much as a quarter of a billion dollars worth/

Tanker day rates (last time I checked) were about $40,000/day (roughly double their pre-invasion rates). So at 12 day average transit times, we're talking $500,000 of transport costs... which is a mere pinprick on a quarter billion dollars worth of cargo.
  • Options

Brexit isn’t his fault?!
    Brexit is a huge contributing factor to the cost of living crisis.
  • Options

TimT said:

I say “people” because I understand that the c word isn’t allowed here.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

There are a couple of things going on at once- the shift of Brexity/older WWC voters into the Conservative column, and the demographic change where outer East London is becoming more like London and less like Essex.

If I had to guess, this will be fine for the Conservatives in 2022, but not in 2026.
    On tonight's poll it is possible there could be no Conservative seats left in London between Chelsea and Fulham and the fringes of Essex and Kent.
  • Options

Brexit isn’t his fault?!
    It’s a factor. I assume there is no cost of living crisis anywhere else then from your post?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

On tonight's poll it is possible there could be no Conservative seats left in London between Chelsea and Fulham and the fringes of Essex and Kent
    Fulham is going Labour, very young
  • Options

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

or not.

Seems pretty implausible to me as the Tories still got 19.6% in Wales in 1997 although I do expect the Tories to do very badly in the Welsh local elections and lose their only council Monmouthshire (where Labour is impressively standing a maximum slate).
  • Options
    Con Maj drifting: now 3.35
  • Options
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

If Russia is denied the Black Sea and the Gulf of Finland as routes for oil exports they'll be in a bit of a pickle even though the commodity is fungible.

The Gulf of Finland shipping is managed by GOFREP, and Russia is a part of that. If the Finns and Estonians were to kick Russia our and attempt to close the strait, that would probably be taken as an act of war by the Russians.

And I don't believe either of those countries would do that.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

On tonight's poll it is possible there could be no Conservative seats left in London between Chelsea and Fulham and the fringes of Essex and Kent
    Fulham is going Labour, very young
    Chelsea will still keep it blue though. Kensington and Cities of London and Westminster however likely will go Labour.

After the boundary changes however they would all go
  • Options

Brexit isn’t his fault?!
    More importantly, it's one thing to forego 4% of economic growth that just didn't happen when the economy is still growing. It's another thing to allow 4% to fall off an otherwise static economy.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,820

London
    Lab 50%
    Con 20%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 37%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%

Midlands
    Con 47%
    Lab 37%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

North
    Lab 54%
    Con 24%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 29%
    Con 15%
    LD 5%
    Grn 2%

Wales
    Lab 56%
    PC 19%
    Con 13%
    Grn 6%
    LD 3%

The Midlands have the lowest propensity to actually cast a vote. Differential turnout could turn this into a Tory rout.

And no, 10+ SLab seats is not on the cards. Yet.
    Even if the SLab revival is part driven by DavidL like tactical Tory unionists in the Central Belt? Need to see what an MRP comes up with.

10-12 is what happens if everything falls into place for Labour, and it's a sizeable swing to get there. Forget Brown's 41 sympathy vote, we're not going back there anytime soon, every SLab seat clawed back has to be viewed as a win in its own right, just as Ruthie's army is how May clung on in '17, if 7+ get SKS over the line in 2024, that'll be just dandy.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Brexit isn’t his fault?!
    It’s a factor. I assume there is no cost of living crisis anywhere else then from your post?
    He didn't say that. He said brexit was a huge factor, along with others, like qe playing through and shortage of employees.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,516
    The ban on Muslim cartoons is near total in the United States, as well. I have many New Yorker cartoon collections, and have found only one Muslim cartoon in recent years: https://www.art.com/products/p15063663518-sa-i6852338/christopher-weyant-taliban-de-soleil-new-yorker-cartoon.htm?RFID=939522

(They routinely have Christian and Jewish cartoons, some very disrespectful, and occasionally have a Buddhist cartoon.)
  • Options
    edited April 2022

TimT said:

Tucker Carlson, Donald Trump, le Pen and Nigel Farage.

And possibly Chomsky.
  • Options

Brexit isn’t his fault?!
    He didn't say that. He said brexit was a huge factor, along with others, like qe playing through and shortage of employees.
    It’s implied. I seem to recall much of Europe is also having a col crisis.
This discussion has been closed.