Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BoJo’s survival makes PM Keir a better bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

Before Brexit groups of school children could come on a joint permit and didn’t need a passport . The government refused to continue with this . Would any leaver have a problem with the old scheme continuing ? Did Leavers vote for this .

I very much doubt it . No 10 seems obsessed with putting up hurdles to any sort of cultural exchanges.

Just petty and vindictive .

Brexit was always going to have a long lead time of no gain and some pain. I doubt anyone anticipated quite what would break, but equally some things that people predicted would be bad are fine.

It really is too early to tell whether there is much gain to be had. (Of course there will be some in specific areas)

The tourists will still come, and if the school-children need a passport then perhaps it'll be seen as a greater adventure. Who knows. Too early to tell as I said above.
    Is anyone still pretending that Brexit will result in anything beneficial? Even Boris doesn't seem to bother any more.
    Well, yes, me. The reasons I voted to leave were very long-term reasons. It'd be a harsh thing if one was constrained by the thinking of one politician.

Care to name one of these 'long-term reasons'? I'm not being sarcastic here. I'm genuinely interested to learn what Brexit achieved other than bolster the career of Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Is there any serious work being done in Europe at the moment to prepare for an embargo of Russian oil and gas? How would we get through the winter? These things need to be considered now. I fear not enough is being done.

Could the Ukrainians be victims of their own success? Now it's assumed Russia isn't going to 'win' the war I worry people are getting complacent again. We shouldn't be tolerant of a prolonged conflict even if it's largely restricted to the east with missiles being fired into the cities on a regular basis. It was smart of Zelensky to use the Israel comparison. Having to deal with a permanent enemy who denies your right to exist.

Yes, Europe could survive without Russian oil and gas. But it would be extremely painful. Ultimately there is not enough free gas and LNG ships in the world to replace Russian gas.

That being said, there are alternatives to gas - the Germans would be well advised to see if they could restart the two more modern reactors they shut at the end of last year. (This may not be possible, but if it were possible with even a six month delay, it'd probably be worth it.)

There is also ample coal generating capacity in Europe, and there's no shortage of coal production. Dry bulk shipping is also a lot larger market than LNG, so capacity is not so limited.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

Depressing report about the language sector being devastated by Brexit red tape .

All because no 10 refuses to make it easier for school children from the EU to come to the UK.

Means less furrin being audibly spoken in Home Counties towns and a few further north/west. Result, from a certain point of view.
    Wouldn't most foreign school trips have come to London or other centres of heritage and tourism?
    My understanding* is they are common in Home Counties towns - near the Continent but cheaper than London. A quick check suggests a number in Margate, Tunbridge Wells, and Brighton - three towns taken at random.

But yes, add places such as Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh too.

*Edit: distinct impression. But IANAE and we do have at least one EFL teacher regular on PB.
    OK. I'm no expert, though I did once see seven separate German school parties while walking along London's South Bank with a colleague from that country. One thing we see in London suburbs is school parties staying at the cheaper chain hotels and getting the tube into Central London (see recent threads for a discussion of where that might be).

Hastings used to survive on EFL schools in the 1970s, not sure if it still does, and it was hardly a centre of affluence then or now.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,395

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

Before Brexit groups of school children could come on a joint permit and didn’t need a passport . The government refused to continue with this . Would any leaver have a problem with the old scheme continuing ? Did Leavers vote for this .

I very much doubt it . No 10 seems obsessed with putting up hurdles to any sort of cultural exchanges.

Brexit was always going to have a long lead time of no gain and some pain. I doubt anyone anticipated quite what would break, but equally some things that people predicted would be bad are fine.

It really is too early to tell whether there is much gain to be had. (Of course there will be some in specific areas)

The tourists will still come, and if the school-children need a passport then perhaps it'll be seen as a greater adventure. Who knows. Too early to tell as I said above.
    Is anyone still pretending that Brexit will result in anything beneficial? Even Boris doesn't seem to bother any more.
    Well, yes, me. The reasons I voted to leave were very long-term reasons. It'd be a harsh thing if one was constrained by the thinking of one politician.

Remainers are STILL too stupid to understand all this. It’s quite phenomenal
    Some Leavers are STILL too stupid to understand that there are NO long term benefits. It’s quite phenomenal
    The political benefits - sovereignty - are enormous and immediate

The economic benefits will take 50 years to fully emerge. As the brilliant Jacob Rees Mogg (perhaps unwisely) admitted at the time
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

Some Leavers are STILL too stupid to understand that there are NO long term benefits. It’s quite phenomenal
    There are lots of benefits of leaving, being able to more quickly altruise use of vaccines in a pandemic, is the most obviose one.

Other benefits should be the ability to rapidly reduces barriers to trade for the rest of the would. sadly out government does not seem to recognise this and instead of simply unilaterally lowering the barriers to trade, its trying to incrementally do trade deals, but is so timid that that the progress is very slow.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

Care to name one of these 'long-term reasons'? I'm not being sarcastic here. I'm genuinely interested to learn what Brexit achieved other than bolster the career of Boris Johnson.
    Sure

. We are not locked in to a trading cartel
    . We have the ability to set laws as we choose
    . We have our own parliament
    . We can choose our level of regulation

I've no idea if Brexit achieved any of the above, and given a little thought I guess I might come up with better reasons.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,903

Interesting and disturbing French poll on candidates and issues:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/french-election-le-pen-may-be-on-verge-of-shock-win-with-horror-undecided-stat-for-macron/ar-AAWht93?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=6d0c6ce61f084a83cebc92338a41bded

The French marginally in favour of leaving NATO, not much bothered about the Russians, and mostly voting on whether they like Le Pen or want to stop her, rather than for Macron. The nearly even split among Melanchon supporters is shocking - I suspect that if Le Pen squeaked it there would be some harsh criticism of his reluctance to endorse Macron.

It'd be interesting to see comparable polling elsewhere - do Brits, Germans, Americans want to do more/less about Ukraine, or have we got it about right?

The Democracy Institute is a right leaning think tank based in Washington and London with links to the tobacco industry .

Latest polls generally show a 6 to 8 point lead . No other pollster has that even a split in Mélenchon supporters . If things remained close I’d expect the pressure on Mélenchon to ramp up to make an intervention .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,752
    edited April 2022
    FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Reuters forecast: Macron 54%, Le Pen 46%

Economist forecast: Macron 54%, Le Pen 46%

https://graphics.reuters.com/FRANCE-ELECTION/POLLS/zjvqkomzlvx/
    https://www.economist.com/interactive/france-2022/forecast

So what happens in 2027? Macron can't run again and there is no obvious successor unless his Mrs trades him in for a younger model. Iron Tits vs Mélenchon in the final?
    Édouard Philippe, Mayor of Le Havre, Macron's former prime minister and consistently the most popular politician in France according to polls. Actually Macron sacked him for being more popular than he is.

Philippe chose to sit out the 2022 presidential election, leaving the way clear for Macron, He is intending to run in 2027 and has just set up a vehicle party, Horizon. He is Macron's obvious successor.
    Bien sûr.
    En Marche vers l'Horizon.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,667
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

We now elect and dismiss those who rule over us. That was always the primary and overwhelming gain of brexit.

It has happened. It is done. Rejoice
    And we did before, our parliament.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

We now elect and dismiss those who rule over us. That was always the primary and overwhelming gain of brexit.

And we did before.
    I voted at least 100 times for UVDL to be one of my presidents.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

Sure

. We are not locked in to a trading cartel
    . We have the ability to set laws as we choose
    . We have our own parliament
    . We can choose our level of regulation

I've no idea if Brexit achieved any of the above, and given a little thought I guess I might come up with better reasons.
    So replying to myself.. !

When though I said 'come up with better reasons' I certainly didn't mean to suggest anything other than a gathering together of thoughts to present.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,868
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

And we did before, our parliament.
    Except for royalty, of course. A huge exception.
  • Options
    More revolting, openly genocidal rhetoric on Russian state TV. The very idea of being Ukrainian, he says, “has to be erased once and for all.” Meanwhile, calling this a war is still punishable by years in Russian prison.
    https://twitter.com/shustry/status/1514928787527548932
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

back to the Sinking of the Russian Flagship Moskova.

It seems that the Russian Orthodox Church had placed one of there relocks on the ship, a fragment from the cross that Jesus was crucified on. That has presumably gone down with the Ship.

(Please can we not argue about weather it was really a fragment of the cross, HYDF will say one thing and everybody else the other and we will be here all night, so please lets not go down that road. However the significant thing here is the Russian Orthodox Church pronated that it was. and this shoes:

1) The ridiculously close relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church, and the Russian State and armed forces. Whatever ones opinion of the separation of church and state, Russia today is at an absolute extreme end of this spectrum.

2) The Russians really did not expect this ship to be sunk.

Link: https://tass.com/society/1123855?utm_source=wlord.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wlord.org&utm_referrer=wlord.org

Oh please can we argue about a piece of wood?
    No, No arguing about a piece of wood which may or may not have been somewhere in the first centaury.

We all know how it will tern out HYDF will say one thing somebody else will point out how perposturase it is, HYDF will double down then everybody will pile in, the chat will get boring, and then tomorrow some people will have overstated their crissum of HYDF and apologise and others will give him credit for sticking to his guns, now we don't want that do we.

If you need to argue there's always pineapple on Prize.

But betters still, can somebody agree we me that this shoes the Russians really did not expect to loss this ship?
    Your autocorrect is pissed I think.
    No, sorry, I'm Dyslectic, and do not put as much effort in to checking my posts as I could, so some mistakes come though.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762
    edited April 2022

Is there any serious work being done in Europe at the moment to prepare for an embargo of Russian oil and gas? How would we get through the winter? These things need to be considered now. I fear not enough is being done.

Could the Ukrainians be victims of their own success? Now it's assumed Russia isn't going to 'win' the war I worry people are getting complacent again. We shouldn't be tolerant of a prolonged conflict even if it's largely restricted to the east with missiles being fired into the cities on a regular basis. It was smart of Zelensky to use the Israel comparison. Having to deal with a permanent enemy who denies your right to exist.

AFAIK, coal imports are now completely banned in the EU. The main gas policy is to enforce all storage is full ahead of winter, which means more imports during the summer. There aren't any gas embargos planned at the EU level, although some countries are going further. Oil, which is the most lucrative one for Russia, is inching towards a phased embargo in the next round of EU sanctions. There are technical and political issues to sort out.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

Depressing report about the language sector being devastated by Brexit red tape .

All because no 10 refuses to make it easier for school children from the EU to come to the UK.

Means less furrin being audibly spoken in Home Counties towns and a few further north/west. Result, from a certain point of view.
    Wouldn't most foreign school trips have come to London or other centres of heritage and tourism?
    My understanding* is they are common in Home Counties towns - near the Continent but cheaper than London. A quick check suggests a number in Margate, Tunbridge Wells, and Brighton - three towns taken at random.

*Edit: distinct impression. But IANAE and we do have at least one EFL teacher regular on PB.
    OK. I'm no expert, though I did once see seven separate German school parties while walking along London's South Bank with a colleague from that country. One thing we see in London suburbs is school parties staying at the cheaper chain hotels and getting the tube into Central London (see recent threads for a discussion of where that might be).
    “We think language schools are worth £35m to the local economy,” said Kevin Boorman, the council’s marketing manager.

“People elsewhere don’t understand that Hastings is the most deprived town in south-east England. The loss of students has an impact on the whole town. We know Hastings is improving and the tourism industry provides entry-level jobs. To lose language students is a massive blow to every generation.”

Huan Japes, membership director of English UK, the trade body for language schools, said 15% of members had closed permanently. “There’s another 15% that are not certain if they’ll see out the year,” he said. “We could be seeing a 30% loss across the country.”

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/apr/16/40000-jobs-at-risk-as-foreign-pupils-shun-uk-language-schools-brexit-covid
    Result!! Fewer furrin languages on the High Streets of the Home Counties. [Edit: not that I approve.]

Does anyone seriously think No 10 would have promoted any contrary policy, in a world where the Welsh are ticked off for speaking "furrin", i.e. the native language of Britain, in Wales?
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

And Mr N. Farage. Though not Ms R. Davidson or Mr D. Ross.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,081
    BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

It seems that the Russian Orthodox Church had placed one of there relocks on the ship, a fragment from the cross that Jesus was crucified on. That has presumably gone down with the Ship.

(Please can we not argue about weather it was really a fragment of the cross, HYDF will say one thing and everybody else the other and we will be here all night, so please lets not go down that road. However the significant thing here is the Russian Orthodox Church pronated that it was. and this shoes:

1) The ridiculously close relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church, and the Russian State and armed forces. Whatever ones opinion of the separation of church and state, Russia today is at an absolute extreme end of this spectrum.

Link: https://tass.com/society/1123855?utm_source=wlord.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wlord.org&utm_referrer=wlord.org

No, No arguing about a piece of wood which may or may not have been somewhere in the first centaury.

We all know how it will tern out HYDF will say one thing somebody else will point out how perposturase it is, HYDF will double down then everybody will pile in, the chat will get boring, and then tomorrow some people will have overstated their crissum of HYDF and apologise and others will give him credit for sticking to his guns, now we don't want that do we.

But betters still, can somebody agree we me that this shoes the Russians really did not expect to loss this ship?
    I think they did some analysis though - if you add up all the bits of the True Cross you send up with enough wood for about 5…

Similarly I think there are several complete bodies of various saints
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

For me probably the biggest long term advantage is inter jurisdiction regulatory compaction.

That is because different places the UK and the EU in this case, can and sometimes will have different regulations, its possible to observe which are the best regulations. and relevant businesses can migrate there and thrive, when one set of regulations cover too large an area then its too easy for one set of regulations to kill an industry and we don't know what we are missing.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

“We think language schools are worth £35m to the local economy,” said Kevin Boorman, the council’s marketing manager.

“People elsewhere don’t understand that Hastings is the most deprived town in south-east England. The loss of students has an impact on the whole town. We know Hastings is improving and the tourism industry provides entry-level jobs. To lose language students is a massive blow to every generation.”

Huan Japes, membership director of English UK, the trade body for language schools, said 15% of members had closed permanently. “There’s another 15% that are not certain if they’ll see out the year,” he said. “We could be seeing a 30% loss across the country.”

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/apr/16/40000-jobs-at-risk-as-foreign-pupils-shun-uk-language-schools-brexit-covid
    Result!! Fewer furrin languages on the High Streets of the Home Counties. [Edit: not that I approve.]

Does anyone seriously think No 10 would have promoted any contrary policy, in a world where the Welsh are ticked off for speaking "furrin", i.e. the native language of Britain, in Wales?
    Ticked off by whom?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

malcolmg said:

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

No, sorry, I'm Dyslectic, and do not put as much effort in to checking my posts as I could, so some mistakes come though.
    BigRich said:

malcolmg said:

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Good evening

You do very well and I think most of us are aware of your dyslexia
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Are we suggesting Putin no longer has wood?
    Nailed it.
    No wonder it made him cross....
    A poor workman blames his tools. But....

I would not call myself a Christian at all anymore but that is sick and offensive. What were they thinking?
    I am a Christian - I find it mildly amusing…
  • Options

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

Just remember, however bad things get with Boris, it would be worse with Corbyn. Out of NATO, no NLAWs to Ukraine, no special forces in Ukraine, he would be embarrassing us on the world stage with calls for peace and dialogue with Russia. We really dodged a bullet in 2019, thanks largely to the politics of Brexit. Funny how these things go.

That was worth reflecting on at the start, but has no additional impact. Its true and everyone has moved on.
    Quick foray into the realm of psychiatry - I sense much of the "but oh god Corbyn would have been worse" sentiment being still advanced at this time when he's long been chip paper is reflexive guilt management from people who voted Con and enabled this disgrace of a PM and don't feel too great about it deep down, now they see clearly who and what he is.

We could call it Having Voted For Boris Derangement Syndrome (HVFBDS) - but we won't because that sort of thing is puerile, demeaning and tedious.
    There could also be a 'not brave enough to vote for Boris so spoiled my ballot/voted for labour to avoid upsetting my wife' in 2019 syndrome (NBETVBSSMBVFLTAUMW), which could end up with deep feelings of shame and guilt (following contemplation of what Corbyn may have meant in terms of the conflict in Ukraine), which lead people to vote for Boris/ their local conservative council candidate. Not saying that this will be a statistically significant phenomenon, but it is one that still might exist.
    presumably they will have to have got divorced in the meantime as well? I bought Farage's biography a few months ago which seemed to upset my wife . I thought sod it and escalated with highlighting former more hidden copies of The Revolt of the Right (Farage with a pint on the front cover) and A journey by Tony Blair on the bookshelf.

Incidentally i am splitting up with my wife atm
    Sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1515394868595539968
    BREAKING: India reportedly cancels plans to buy 48 Mi-17 V5 helicopters from Russia…
    … This plan is being linked to India's push to transition towards domestic-made military equipment and is not framed as a rejection of Russia. But the timing of this move, if confirmed, is striking given U.S. pressure over India's Russia ties.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Nigelb said:

More revolting, openly genocidal rhetoric on Russian state TV. The very idea of being Ukrainian, he says, “has to be erased once and for all.” Meanwhile, calling this a war is still punishable by years in Russian prison.

Why anyone is still pretending Russia is anything other than Nazis with Nukes is beyond me.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

Ticked off by whom?
    Some selfimportant turd in the street.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

i dont think that is genocidal talk . It is nationalistic of course. Can we stop corrupting the word
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited April 2022
    glw said:

Nigelb said:

Why anyone is still pretending Russia is anything other than Nazis with Nukes is beyond me.
    The only reason to doubt is the possibility their nukes might be as useless as the rest of their military.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

Ticked off by whom?
    Some selfimportant turd in the street.
    So what? I’ve been abused over my southern English accent in Glasgow.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

i dont think that is genocidal talk . It is nationalistic of course. Can we stop corrupting the word
    I don’t think you could be more wrong. What do you think genocide is?
  • Options

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

I think they did some analysis though - if you add up all the bits of the True Cross you send up with enough wood for about 5…

This is not really a discussion that I what to go down, but I think, well am pretty certain that the original Quote was by John Calvin during the reformation, that there was enough wood around Crissindom clamming to be the true cross of Christ to rebuild Noah Ark. This was then repeated add-nosism by lots of other reformation people, and the catholic church decided to counter it with the Spanish inquisition and wars of religion. which upset a few people.

A couple of centenaries later, somebody has gone around and measured all of the bits of wood in catholic and Orthodox churches, and the answer is no not really depending on the size of the original cross there is probably less wood totalling up that amount, which does not mean that it all is wood form the cross, or even that any is, but perhaps the Catholics could of listened to there opponent and fact checked his clam instead of killing people, and that might have been better.

However a more modern interpretation of both fragments of the cross and other relics, is that 'God' is everywhere and in everything, and if people feel closer to God by being near an object that other have felt similar then good for them, but its not necessary, and there is now value in trying to verify or not the altentisaty of individual relics.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The issue is one of principle.

Multiple schemes like this - individually small but make people’s lives a bit better - have been proposed by the UK government

The EU has rejected each and every one - life with the UK outside the EU must, in their view, be less pleasant and convenient for everyone (both EU and UK citizens). The UK - quite reasonable IMV - refuses to implement these schemes with reciprocation
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Nigelb said:

well its not that ! the equivalent would be an Irish nationalist saying the very idea of being northern irish needs to be erased - its nationalistic talk not genocidal

BTW i am very much the opposite of nationalist - I believe divisions caused by it and the suppression of individual freedom when the "cause" is called upon is revolting but that is not genocide
  • Options

Nigelb said:

well its not that ! the equivalent would be an Irish nationalist saying the very idea of being northern irish needs to be erased - its nationalistic talk not genocidal
    In the context of sending thousands of troops into a country, murdering, raping, bombing, killing thousands, and saying that that country should not exist, pretty much makes it genocide to me.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited April 2022
    I haven't posted much over the last few days for various reasons, one of which was my son in law’s mother funeral

She married his father in 1957, who was a chief engineer spending a lot of time at sea

She telegraphed him to suggest a day for their wedding, and he telegraphed her back from his ship and said that it should be OK but he was not certain

However, he told her to go ahead and signed off with 'que sera, sera' which became their lifelong motto ( they did marry on the day he planned)

The reason I have referred to this is that I have come to the conclusion that the conservative party is looking at defeat at the next GE but I do not fear Starmer , (though he is rather bland and colourless) but at my wife and my ages it really is a case of 'que sera, sera' for us to

I would just say that apart from rejecting the hard right (Farage) and the hard left (Corbyn), generally I can see positive in some policies of the left, right and very much the centre
  • Options

Nigelb said:

In the context of sending thousands of troops into a country, murdering, raping, bombing, killing thousands, and saying that that country should not exist, pretty much makes it genocide to me.
    well legally its not
  • Options

nico679 said:

The issue is one of principle.

Multiple schemes like this - individually small but make people’s lives a bit better - have been proposed by the UK government

The EU has rejected each and every one - life with the UK outside the EU must, in their view, be less pleasant and convenient for everyone (both EU and UK citizens). The UK - quite reasonable IMV - refuses to implement these schemes with without reciprocation
    FIFY
  • Options

Nigelb said:

well legally its not
    I’d say attempting to destroy the idea of being Ukrainian absolutely fits the legal definition.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

malcolmg said:

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Many of them are inspired though.

A few days ago you referred to Chancellor Scholtz as a “German pollution”
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I think it’s autogenocide.
  • Options

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

Just remember, however bad things get with Boris, it would be worse with Corbyn. Out of NATO, no NLAWs to Ukraine, no special forces in Ukraine, he would be embarrassing us on the world stage with calls for peace and dialogue with Russia. We really dodged a bullet in 2019, thanks largely to the politics of Brexit. Funny how these things go.

That was worth reflecting on at the start, but has no additional impact. Its true and everyone has moved on.
    Quick foray into the realm of psychiatry - I sense much of the "but oh god Corbyn would have been worse" sentiment being still advanced at this time when he's long been chip paper is reflexive guilt management from people who voted Con and enabled this disgrace of a PM and don't feel too great about it deep down, now they see clearly who and what he is.

We could call it Having Voted For Boris Derangement Syndrome (HVFBDS) - but we won't because that sort of thing is puerile, demeaning and tedious.
    There could also be a 'not brave enough to vote for Boris so spoiled my ballot/voted for labour to avoid upsetting my wife' in 2019 syndrome (NBETVBSSMBVFLTAUMW), which could end up with deep feelings of shame and guilt (following contemplation of what Corbyn may have meant in terms of the conflict in Ukraine), which lead people to vote for Boris/ their local conservative council candidate. Not saying that this will be a statistically significant phenomenon, but it is one that still might exist.
    presumably they will have to have got divorced in the meantime as well? I bought Farage's biography a few months ago which seemed to upset my wife . I thought sod it and escalated with highlighting former more hidden copies of The Revolt of the Right (Farage with a pint on the front cover) and A journey by Tony Blair on the bookshelf.

Sorry to hear that.
    Its fine! looking forward to it really - just got to sell the house and daughter off the university!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BREAKING: India reportedly cancels plans to buy 48 Mi-17 V5 helicopters from Russia…
    … This plan is being linked to India's push to transition towards domestic-made military equipment and is not framed as a rejection of Russia. But the timing of this move, if confirmed, is striking given U.S. pressure over India's Russia ties.

dont know the politics but logically doesnt that mean Russia has 48 more helicopters ? a bit like when BP gave away 20% stake in Rosneft
  • Options

Nigelb said:

What’s your definition of “genocidal” if - taken at face value - the above doesn’t justify the term?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

"The very idea of being Ukrainian has to be erased once and for all."

If that's not a definition of genocide I don't know what is.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

Sorry to hear that.
    Its fine! looking forward to it really - just got to sell the house and daughter off the university!
    Selling the house off to the university I can understand, but isn't it illegal to sell your daughter as well?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

well legally its not
    There is a very strong prima facie case for genocide.
    Article II: In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
    (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
    (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
    (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
    (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

The intent to destroy Ukraine as a nation is pretty clear, and at least four of those five tests have been met.
    Whether a genocide case would be proven is an open question, but to say that “it isn’t genocide, legally” is just incorrect.

Note that some of Hitler’s crew were prosecuted under genocide for their actions in destroying the Czechoslovakian state. Separately from the Holocaust charges.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

What’s your definition of “genocidal” if - taken at face value - the above doesn’t justify the term?
    well its the legal definition of it of course - which I am pretty sure does not include rhetoric about saying there is no such thing as ukrainian (or northern Irish or Scottish etc )
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Could it be partly because the Indians have noticed how easily the Ukrainian shot done Russian Helicopters?

Ok probably not, but
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nigelb said:

well legally its not
    I think given the murder rape etc use of the words "The very idea of being Ukrainian has to be erased once and for all” massively strengthens the argument that the murder rape etc amount to genocide.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not
    Article II: In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

The intent to destroy Ukraine as a nation is pretty clear, and at least four of those five tests have been met.
    Whether a genocide case would be proven is an open question, but to say that “it isn’t genocide, legally” is just incorrect.

Note that some of Hitler’s crew were prosecuted under genocide for their actions in destroying the Czechoslovakian state. Separately from the Holocaust charges.
    except whilst all that may be true its not what i said was not genocide (the TV talk ).I dont wnat to especially dance on pin heads here but find fanning the flames of this war very worrying given the world is at stake. There needs to be a negotiation and and end soon .Most people do not care about ukrainian/russian politics to want it to endanger their and their families lives.

I personally think the sinking of the russian warship (of course it being symbolic and a ship made all the military battle lovers goosh) was a mistake as i think russia was settling for a war in the east of ukraine where a settlement could then have been reached to save face of all and more importantly save a nuclear war
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2022

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Are we suggesting Putin no longer has wood?
    Nailed it.
    No wonder it made him cross....
    A poor workman blames his tools. But....

I would not call myself a Christian at all anymore but that is sick and offensive. What were they thinking?
    I am a Christian - I find it mildly amusing…
    Stapling reminds me of an episode in the Stieg Larsson trilogy where the protagonist, a formidable girl, is cornered in a deserted warehouse by an evil giant of a man---who has a condition (congenital analgesia} that he can't feel pain---and manages to multiply staple both his feet to the floor, and then to notify his worst enemies, a motor cycle gang, as to his whereabouts.
  • Options

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

I think that’s a slight exaggeration, but some of the saints had a surprisingly large number of knuckles.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dupe
  • Options

Nigelb said:

well its the legal definition of it of course - which I am pretty sure does not include rhetoric about saying there is no such thing as ukrainian (or northern Irish or Scottish etc )
    “Genocidal rhetoric” is not the same as an act of genocide, but @Nigelb posted the legal definition just about your response and I’d say there is a prime facie case at least
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

except whilst all that may be true its not what i said was not genocide (the TV talk ).I dont wnat to especially dance on pin heads here but find fanning the flames of this war very worrying given the world is at stake. There needs to be a negotiation and and end soon
    If you are going to nitpick, (b) fits the bill. At best they are gaslighting an entire fucking country.
    But I think your just being silly.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Nigelb said:

The words do not say there is no such thing, they say we should bring about a future state of affairs in which there will be no such thing. 3 guesses

you had that glass of wine

you had another

you are not and never have been a lawyer
  • Options

BigRich said:

malcolmg said:

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

Many of them are inspired though.

A few days ago you referred to Chancellor Scholtz as a “German pollution”
    Did I LOL, that was not deliberate but is funny.

But that reminds me, Germany has in the last 24 hours pledged 1 Billion Euros to buy Arms form Ukraine. I wonder to what extent that is after being shamed by the non-invitation of Chancellor Scholtz to Ukraine?
  • Options
    Russia confirms MajGen Vladimir Frolov, deputy commander of 8th Army, was killed in combat in Ukraine

His funeral was held today in StPetersburg

8th Army was stationed near Mykolayiv, where its commander LtGen Andrey Mordvichev was killed in mid-March

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1515358532853551113
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

The words do not say there is no such thing, they say we should bring about a future state of affairs in which there will be no such thing. 3 guesses

you had another

whatever - i never play the man but the ball -
  • Options

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

You got five "likes" for this??

Hhahahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The tragic, impotent anger of bewildered Remainers will never cease to amuse me. Quite intensely. If you lot had given us a referendum AT ANY POINT from 1990-2016, you could have avoided this, you sad fucks. Suck it up

Instead you pushed the patience of the voting public to an explosive limit, and actually got a vote to LEAVE outright

And what was your reaction to that? To try and annul the Brexit vote, and destroy democracy.

Brilliant, not.

I hope every single person who wanted a "people's vote" suffers a terrible canker of the genitals. You sowed the wind, you reaped a whirlwind
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

except whilst all that may be true its not what i said was not genocide (the TV talk ).I dont wnat to especially dance on pin heads here but find fanning the flames of this war very worrying given the world is at stake. There needs to be a negotiation and and end soon
    If you are going to nitpick, (b) fits the bill. At best they are gaslighting an entire fucking country.
    I am sorry but gaslighting an entire country is not genocide either -
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

Sorry to hear that.
    Selling the house off to the university I can understand, but isn't it illegal to sell your daughter as well?
    maybe I did have that wine
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

Could it be partly because the Indians have noticed how easily the Ukrainian shot done Russian Helicopters?

Ok probably not, but
    It’s more that India wants to further develop its indigenous arms industry, and the disadvantages of buying Russian are rapidly coming to outweigh the advantages.
    And note that the poor performance of Russian kit has also been against other Russian kit operated by Ukraine.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

Why do you object to this so much? The context is crucial. Russia is trying to wipe Ukraine out of existence. Make no mistake they tried to invade and seize Kiev and effect regime change. They failed. Now they are settling for trying to seize parts of the east while murdering civilians, raping children, and endless other horrors. Then on the tv they talk about the idea of BeingUkrainian must not be allowed. And you quibble about it not being genocidal talk? You couldn’t be more wrong.
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

And we did before.
    I actually voted against her. I wrote my vote on a piece of recycled paper, which was crayoned with her name and the word NO! quite fiercely inscribed against it, and then I took the slip of paper to a copse in the Forest of Dean and threw it gaily in the air, so the invisible fairies of EU democracy could whisk it by magic breezes to Brussels and show her, so she would step down in shame, as my president

Isn't that how EU democracy works?

Have I got that right?

Happily I may have forgotten some details, seeing as we left
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

And we did before.
    I actually voted against her. I wrote my vote on a piece of recycled paper, which was crayoned with her name and the word NO! quite fiercely inscribed against it, and then I took the slip of paper to a copse in the Forest of Dean and threw it gaily in the air, so the invisible fairies of EU democracy could whisk it by magic breezes to Brussels and show her, so she would step down in shame, as my president

Isn't that how EU democracy works?

Have I got that right?

Happily I may have forgotten some details, seeing as we left
    I think we both had the same effect on the outcome!
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

Why do you object to this so much? The context is crucial. Russia is trying to wipe Ukraine out of existence. Make no mistake they tried to invade and seize Kiev and effect regime change. They failed. Now they are settling for trying to seize parts of the east while murdering civilians, raping children, and endless other horrors. Then on the tv they talk about the idea of BeingUkrainian must not be allowed. And you quibble about it not being genocidal talk? You couldn’t be more wrong.
    well its a legal definition that is not met by what the TV talk said - so its not genocide is it? - I really dont see how I could be more wrong as you say.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

well its a legal definition that is not what the TV talk said - so its not genocide is it? - I really dont see how I could be more wrong.
    Context, FFS.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

except whilst all that may be true its not what i said was not genocide (the TV talk ).I dont wnat to especially dance on pin heads here but find fanning the flames of this war very worrying given the world is at stake. There needs to be a negotiation and and end soon .Most people do not care about ukrainian/russian politics to want it to endanger their and their families lives…
    Nothing like that gets broadcast in Russian TV so consistently without the approval of the state - and it echoes Putin’s own rhetoric. On its own it’s not genocide, but it provides strong evidence of intent.
    Add the multiple documented actions which meet the descriptions in the genocide convention clauses, and there is a case for genocide charges.

Pointing out what’s in front of your nose is not “fanning the flames”.

• Options
    I agree with the PB-ers who say the Ukrainian invasion looks an awful lot like genocide

It is an attempt to cancel a country. To remove it from history, to eradicate its identity. Is that not genocide?

I understand this is a solemn question, as it then entails quite fierce commitments by us
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

well its a legal definition that is not what the TV talk said - so its not genocide is it? - I really dont see how I could be more wrong.
    Context, FFS.
    well the original poster did not express it in context as you say - they just said it was genocidal talk - well its not is it? As for context I dont know , has Boris said they are committing genocide or the UN? No point willing something that is not technically true
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

Context, FFS.
    well the original poster did not express it in context as you say - they just said it was genocidal talk - well its not is it? As for context I dont know , has Boris said they are committing genocide or the UN? No point willing something that is not technically true
    It absolutely IS genocidal talk. Denying an entire country the right to be a country. Take a step back and think about it a bit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I agree with the PB-ers who say the Ukrainian invasion looks an awful lot like genocide

It is an attempt to cancel a country. To remove it from history, to eradicate its identity. Is that not genocide?

I understand this is a solemn question, as it then entails quite fierce commitments by us

quite - it will mean WW3 (and the death of 99% of people in the UK) if countries take the law on it literally so lets be careful about it shall we?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

you had another

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

you had another

Well, you have had the definition quoted to you. Part of the definition of the crime is an INTENT. Statements by the suspect of how he wants things to be in future are pretty good evidence of intent.
  • Options

Leon said:

quite - it will mean WW3 (and the death of 99% of people in the UK) if countries take the law on it literally so lets be careful about it shall we?
    Let’s just sacrifice all Ukrainians over your care for the definition, shall we?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

Context, FFS.
    It absolutely IS genocidal talk. Denying an entire country the right to be a country. Take a step back and think about it a bit.
    If that is what the West thinks there can be no justification for not becoming directly involved on the ground.
  • Options

Leon said:

Let’s just sacrifice all Ukrainians over your care for the definition, shall we?
    well you want WW3 then and nuclear war?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

Context, FFS.
    If that is what the West thinks there can be no justification for not becoming directly involved on the ground.
    To be fair we are, with the exception that all our kit is being used by Ukrainians, not our own troops.
  • Options

Leon said:

I do not believe for a moment that Russians will commit suicide to “win” Ukraine.
  • Options

Leon said:

I do not believe for a moment that Russians will commit suicide to “win” Ukraine.
    oh good I am not prepared to take the risk personally of your hunch
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

Context, FFS.
    so they either do not think that or they are pragmatic enough to not end civilisation
  • Options

Leon said:

Are you prepared to sacrifice the Poles too on your hunch that they will?
  • Options

Leon said:

Poles they are NATO are they not so I doubt Russia will attack.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    According to that French polling people believe that France will be more negatively affected by the sanctions than the Russians???? Seriously? Is there a national crisis of confidence going on. Perhaps they are trying to make a point about how much they feel they are suffering right now?
  • Options

Leon said:

So the Ukrainians aren’t worth it because of a piece of paper?
  • Options

Leon said:

So why worry about WW3 then?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

I think that’s a slight exaggeration, but some of the saints had a surprisingly large number of knuckles.
    The Norfolk Saints?
  • Options

Leon said:

well thats the way the world works in reality - Why do Ukraine matter more (for they sure do in many eyes) than say the people of Congo or Rwanda of a few years ago? We are all pragmatic and need to be - When its our self preservation then a piece of paper does matter
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,510

Nigelb said:

The (and very very rare) Irish nationalists who talk about eliminating the Protestant culture in NI are regarded by the other 99.999% of Irish people as weird, disgusting fuckwits.
  • Options

Leon said:

Some of us think there is a moral obligation to carry out promises we have made in treaties, rather than hiding behind the utterly bizarre assertion that those promises should not be interpreted "literally."
  • Options

Leon said:

the continued supply of weapons is killing people not the other way around and prolonging things
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

nico679 said:

You got five "likes" for this??

Hhahahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The tragic, impotent anger of bewildered Remainers will never cease to amuse me. Quite intensely. If you lot had given us a referendum AT ANY POINT from 1990-2016, you could have avoided this, you sad fucks. Suck it up

Instead you pushed the patience of the voting public to an explosive limit, and actually got a vote to LEAVE outright

And what was your reaction to that? To try and annul the Brexit vote, and destroy democracy.

Brilliant, not.

I hope every single person who wanted a "people's vote" suffers a terrible canker of the genitals. You sowed the wind, you reaped a whirlwind
    I feel for you, I really do. It must be hard to to bear the gradual realisation thatr your beloved project is, in fact, a heap of shite that helps no one.

Your hero Putin must be experiencing similar feelings right now.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Some of us think there is a moral obligation to carry out promises we have made in treaties, rather than hiding behind the utterly bizarre assertion that those promises should not be interpreted "literally."
    well go and fight yourself then if you feel you have that much moral obligation - you are allowed
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The (and very very rare) Irish nationalists who talk about eliminating the Protestant culture in NI are regarded by the other 99.999% of Irish people as weird, disgusting fuckwits.
    I am sure they do but they are not genocidal
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Leon said:

the continued supply of weapons is killing people not the other way around and prolonging things
    Why can’t they just surrender and get it over with? Is that your line? Have you seen great treatment that the Russians have shown so far in occupied areas? Would you fucking surrender?
    For gods sake, take a look at yourself.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

well legally its not

Context, FFS.
    Actually that’s not true.
    Any duty to act has to include evaluation of the likely consequences.

Supplying Ukraine with sufficient arms to defeat the invasion is a proportionate, and justified response.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

well go and fight yourself then if you feel you have that much moral obligation - you are allowed
    I am not allowed actually, it would be a criminal offence. The moral obligation does not bind me personally, it binds my country. And yours, assuming you are a citizen of one of the signatories.
  • Options

According to that French polling people believe that France will be more negatively affected by the sanctions than the Russians???? Seriously? Is there a national crisis of confidence going on. Perhaps they are trying to make a point about how much they feel they are suffering right now?

The French are always miserable. La morosite

It is quite odd

They arguably live in the most beautiful country on earth, with lots of green space and fine landscapes, gorgeous cities and towns (preserved by their tendency to swiftly surrender), a fine if stagnant cuisine, a variety of fairly benign climates, and a culture that is well past its best but is still widely respected, and which can, occasionally, still be world class

OK they lost the worldwide culture/language wars to the hated Anglo-Saxons, but still. I don't quite understand their constant whingeing. They are some of the luckiest people on earth. Yet also perpetually hacked off

Why? Is it the shame of the last century of military defeat? Is it the shame of being overshadowed by other cultures they deem barely equal if not inferior? Is it just some determination to be annoyed, whatever?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

BigRich said:

kjh said:

BigRich said:

The Norfolk Saints?
    Norfolk enchants mate!
This discussion has been closed.