Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How will the BoJo exit betting look after the May locals? – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    There are rumours that the Russian cruiser Moskva, of Snake Island fame, has been hit by two Ukrainian Neptune missiles. It was the ship the Ukranians said: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself" to.

Perhaps it decided it wasn't go to 'fuck itself', so the Ukrainians did it for them...

Unverified at the moment, but I do hope so...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    BigRich said:

Ukraine is now getting lessons from Germany on diplomatic customs:

https://twitter.com/RikeFranke/status/1514247714631991301

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

“With all understanding for the existential threat to the 🇺🇦 from the Russian invasion, I expect Ukrainian representatives to adhere to a minimum of diplomatic customs and not interfere unduly in our country's domestic politics.”

Use of “the” Ukraine (assuming that is not just in translation) will rattle their cage. What are the Ukrainians supposed to have done?
    A German pollution presumably in the SDP, and long time supporter of Putin, wanted to come to Ukraine presumably to get a good photo oppertuaty and has been told, no, and instead had a grumpy Press conference.

Based on Germany actions so far in this war I don't blame Ukraine,
    Well, not any old politician, but the President. The equivalent would be if the Queen offered to go and the Ukrainians said nah, we saw her glad-handing Putin just a couple of years ago. It's a diplomatic error if you're asking a country for help to snub its head of state - the sensible thing would have been to say we were disappointed in his past lack of support but we're glad he's coming now and we'll show him the destruction and why we need help.

Is it understandable that they make an error in the middle of a war? Yes, of course. Should the Germans turn the other cheek and forget it? Yes. But it's a rare misstep in what has been a very effective diplomatic campaign.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    edited April 2022

There are rumours that the Russian cruiser Moskva, of Snake Island fame, has been hit by two Ukrainian Neptune missiles. It was the ship the Ukranians said: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself" to.

Perhaps it decided it wasn't go to 'fuck itself', so the Ukrainians did it for them...

Moskva, the 1960s vintage Moskva? Jeez!

EDIT: sorry, my bad. It's the ship formerly known as Slava (in service 1983).
  • Options
    City have a fight on their hands
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

“With all understanding for the existential threat to the 🇺🇦 from the Russian invasion, I expect Ukrainian representatives to adhere to a minimum of diplomatic customs and not interfere unduly in our country's domestic politics.”

What have you got against the EU in general and France in particular? You find these obscure anti EU websites and link to them non stop. I think everyone gets the message.
    These good faith criticisms of the EU, France, Germany, Ireland etc are the perfect antidote to all the bad faith criticisms of BJ, the Tory party, Brexit and the UK, a breath of fresh air blowing away all those fetid Remoaner cobwebs imo.
    Let's deconstruct Roger's comment

"What have you got against the EU in general and France in particular? You find these obscure anti EU websites and link to them non stop"

@williamglenn did not mention the EU. The comment did not even reference France. The source was not "obscure" it has 46,000 followers, the source was not a "website" it is a Twitter account belonging to a European politics expert, and the ultimate source is the chairman of the SPD, Germany's biggest leftwing party in the Bundestag

Apart from that, another typically well-informed and insightful comment by Roger
    He does what you do. Eulogise posters and sites that share your world view. Scott does the same but with much more discernment and sense of humour which neither you nor William have.
    Plus we inexplicably fail to appreciate that someone on Twitter with 46,000 followers is the Golden Source for just about any information on anything.
    Nope, never said that. I said that an expert on European politics with 46,000 followers is, by definition, "not obscure" as a source on European politics, and moreover she was just quoting the chairman of the SPD in the Bundestag

Perhaps you also consider the Bundestag "obscure"? Would explain much
    Touchy much?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

What have you got against the EU in general and France in particular? You find these obscure anti EU websites and link to them non stop. I think everyone gets the message.
    These good faith criticisms of the EU, France, Germany, Ireland etc are the perfect antidote to all the bad faith criticisms of BJ, the Tory party, Brexit and the UK, a breath of fresh air blowing away all those fetid Remoaner cobwebs imo.

"What have you got against the EU in general and France in particular? You find these obscure anti EU websites and link to them non stop"

@williamglenn did not mention the EU. The comment did not even reference France. The source was not "obscure" it has 46,000 followers, the source was not a "website" it is a Twitter account belonging to a European politics expert, and the ultimate source is the chairman of the SPD, Germany's biggest leftwing party in the Bundestag

Apart from that, another typically well-informed and insightful comment by Roger
    He does what you do. Eulogise posters and sites that share your world view. Scott does the same but with much more discernment and sense of humour which neither you nor William have.
    Plus we inexplicably fail to appreciate that someone on Twitter with 46,000 followers is the Golden Source for just about any information on anything.
    Nope, never said that. I said that an expert on European politics with 46,000 followers is, by definition, "not obscure" as a source on European politics, and moreover she was just quoting the chairman of the SPD in the Bundestag

Touchy much?
    Quite the opposite. Had some professional news which has left me intensely relaxed - for the first time in a while. A breakthrough
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    stodge said:

I’m sure he will. I think we should listen to Mike Smithson whose betting Boris fights the next election. I don’t even think we should feel so complacent tat despite all this, Boris loses his majority at the election.

I’ve betted £50 Boris leaves this year. Kinabalu talked me into it in January. Boris position not only not in intensive care, it’s not even in hospital getting treatment 😕

I am up in God’s Own Country now on Easter Break - surrounded by 4 Conservatives adamant Boris should not resign as he is leading the West in war against Putin - they think he is a Great War leader - Daily Mail type anger towards anyone calling for him to resign, such as Libdem leader and anyone saying they will vote Libdems 🤐

- But the French are having full scale election, could change entire government?
    - Then the French are stupid for not cancelling it, besides Macron is not leading the West like Boris.
    - A Yorkshire MP reckons Lawbreakers can’t be lawmakers.
    - He’s now deprived his constituents of much needed money, so he ain’t so bright at politics. Nothing from West Yorkshire speaks for true Yorkshire.

🤷‍♀️

My mum reckons Sunak must resign, for being a rubbish chancellor and a traitor toBoris to stir all this up in first place.

I’m going on a nice long walk tomorrow, nothing as exciting as Blanche but I might post some pictures too.

I well remember the vitriol Charles Kennedy endured for questioning the British military involvement in Iraq from the Mail and others comparing him to Neville Chamberlain and the like.

The strange thing is, there isn't a single British soldier (we assume) involved in this conflict yet questioning any aspect of that seems to be as great a treason as if our troops were fighting in Lukhansk.

In November 1990, we had British troops deploying for combat against a dreadful aggression by one sovereign country on another yet we still had time to depose a three-time election winning Prime Minister just as we removed Prime Ministers in both World Wars.

The notion we can't get rid of Boris Johnson "because there is a war on" is ridiculous.
    Too right. I’m standing my ground. Lazy liar couldn’t lead the West, his own country, himself out of a wet paper bag.

But MexicanPete is right, the surge in support for Boris is real and bizarre!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

We are in Putin/Trump territory if criticism of Johnson is treason, but I am in N. Notts. tonight, in the heart of the RedWall. Johnson is a patriot, and naysayers are traitors is the word here too.
    Bizarre!

That means a 1982-style local elections result for the Conservatives then on the back of a patriotic groundswell of support for our courageous Prime Minister - CON gain Newham !!
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    Quite the opposite. Had some professional news which has left me intensely relaxed - for the first time in a while. A breakthrough
    Congratulations.

You're still quite obviously touchy about the twitter thing, tho'.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    Knapping a flint dildo in the shape of the PM?
  • Options

stodge said:

I’m sure he will. I think we should listen to Mike Smithson whose betting Boris fights the next election. I don’t even think we should feel so complacent tat despite all this, Boris loses his majority at the election.

I’ve betted £50 Boris leaves this year. Kinabalu talked me into it in January. Boris position not only not in intensive care, it’s not even in hospital getting treatment 😕

I am up in God’s Own Country now on Easter Break - surrounded by 4 Conservatives adamant Boris should not resign as he is leading the West in war against Putin - they think he is a Great War leader - Daily Mail type anger towards anyone calling for him to resign, such as Libdem leader and anyone saying they will vote Libdems 🤐

- But the French are having full scale election, could change entire government?
    - Then the French are stupid for not cancelling it, besides Macron is not leading the West like Boris.
    - He’s now deprived his constituents of much needed money, so he ain’t so bright at politics. Nothing from West Yorkshire speaks for true Yorkshire.

🤷‍♀️

My mum reckons Sunak must resign, for being a rubbish chancellor and a traitor toBoris to stir all this up in first place.

I’m going on a nice long walk tomorrow, nothing as exciting as Blanche but I might post some pictures too.

I well remember the vitriol Charles Kennedy endured for questioning the British military involvement in Iraq from the Mail and others comparing him to Neville Chamberlain and the like.

The strange thing is, there isn't a single British soldier (we assume) involved in this conflict yet questioning any aspect of that seems to be as great a treason as if our troops were fighting in Lukhansk.

In November 1990, we had British troops deploying for combat against a dreadful aggression by one sovereign country on another yet we still had time to depose a three-time election winning Prime Minister just as we removed Prime Ministers in both World Wars.

The notion we can't get rid of Boris Johnson "because there is a war on" is ridiculous.
    Too right. I’m standing my ground. Lazy liar couldn’t lead the West, his own country, himself out of a wet paper bag.

:lol:image
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Use of “the” Ukraine (assuming that is not just in translation) will rattle their cage. What are the Ukrainians supposed to have done?
    A German pollution presumably in the SDP, and long time supporter of Putin, wanted to come to Ukraine presumably to get a good photo oppertuaty and has been told, no, and instead had a grumpy Press conference.

Well, not any old politician, but the President. The equivalent would be if the Queen offered to go and the Ukrainians said nah, we saw her glad-handing Putin just a couple of years ago. It's a diplomatic error if you're asking a country for help to snub its head of state - the sensible thing would have been to say we were disappointed in his past lack of support but we're glad he's coming now and we'll show him the destruction and why we need help.

Is it understandable that they make an error in the middle of a war? Yes, of course. Should the Germans turn the other cheek and forget it? Yes. But it's a rare misstep in what has been a very effective diplomatic campaign.

I totally disagree, if Germany gets the goes off in a huff, then they are doing so little at the moment it will not matter much, but it other nations (and Germany) realise that they only get the good photo opps if they acthally help, then there will be extra support coming to Ukraine.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Great news, do you have a link?
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    Due to having fessed up to suffering from excessive boredom during Lockdown, PB's resident flint-knapper @Leon was commissioned by CCHQ to knap the perfect sculpture of Boris Johnson! Finally able to take a break from knapping strangely shaped sex-toys, he accepted the work in a heartbeat, and got to sculpting the same day. Arduous work, but he felt that, over the course of several weeks of almost continuous knapping, that he got it almost completely spot on with just a little bit more required.

However, @Leon had found that he had knapped so meticulously that his hands were thoroughly knackered and sore. He wondered about taking some time off in order to finish off his masterpiece at a later date. Boris's office phoned him back reasonably promptly, but to @Leon's horror, he was told in no uncertain terms that he would lose his fee if he stopped work!

"Why?" asked @Leon on the phone incredulously.

"Simple!" Boris's underling replied. "You're not entitled to any..." He paused for effect. "...Statue-Tory Sick Pay!"

I thank you!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

stodge said:

🤷‍♀️

:lol:image
    Brilliant photo! 👍🏻

Can always rely on Sunil for the good ones.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    Due to having fessed up to suffering from excessive boredom during Lockdown, PB's resident flint-knapper @Leon was commissioned by CCHQ to knap the perfect sculpture of Boris Johnson! Finally able to take a break from knapping strangely shaped sex-toys, he accepted the work in a heartbeat, and got to sculpting the same day. Arduous work, but he felt that, over the course of several weeks of almost continuous knapping, that he got it almost completely spot on with just a little bit more required.

However, @Leon had found that he had knapped so meticulously that his hands were thoroughly knackered and sore. He wondered about taking some time off in order to finish off his masterpiece at a later date. Boris's office phoned him back reasonably promptly, but to @Leon's horror, he was told in no uncertain terms that he would lose his fee if he stopped work!

"Simple!" Boris's underling replied. "You're not entitled to any..." He paused for effect. "...Statue-Tory Sick Pay!"

I thank you!
    @turbotubbs I blame you for that relapse.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?

I thank you!
    @turbotubbs I blame you for that relapse.
    Sorry. It’s nearly Easter and I let my guard down...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    BigRich said:

Great news, do you have a link?
    As I said, unverified, and a Ukrainian claim about a ship being sunk was later proven false. But they have sunk some.

Here's the link:
    https://ukranews.com/en/news/849331-russian-warship-moskva-is-on-fire-in-black-sea-media

The Neptune Missile is a brand-new Ukrainian designed and built system:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_(cruise_missile)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Every time I think of leaving Twitter I remind myself that it is a place where @cher
    can be found talking military strategy with the government of @ukraine.

https://twitter.com/BDStanley/status/1514006438389194752/photo/1
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    Congratulations.

Whuh? I'm really not

It's just a statement of fact. Here she is:

@RikeFranke - Ulrike Franke:

"Dr. Ulrike Franke is a senior policy fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR). She leads ECFR’s Technology and European Power initiative. Her areas of focus include German and European security and defence, the future of warfare, and the impact of new technologies such as drones and artificial intelligence on geopolitics and warfare.

"Franke has published widely on these and other topics, among others in Die Zeit, FAZ, RUSI Whitehall Papers, Comparative Strategy, War on the Rocks, Zeitschrift für Außen- und Sicherheitspolitik, and regularly appears as commentator in the media. She co-hosts the Sicherheitshalber Podcast, a German-language podcast on security and defence.

"She holds a PhD in International Relations from the University of Oxford – in her PhD thesis, she studied the use of drones by western armed forces. She also holds a BA from Sciences Po Paris and a double summa cum laude MA degree from Sciences Po Paris (Affaires internationales/Sécurité internationale) and the University of St. Gallen (International Affairs and Governance)."

https://ecfr.eu/profile/ulrike_esther_franke/

That's really quite some CV, esp for her age. When it comes to German Foreign Policy and Defence matters there can't be many people who are better informed. The fact her Twitter account has accrued 46,000 followers shows that a lot of other people feel the same way.

It is simply the case. "Obscure source" is a ludicrous Rogerism, ie a statement so inanely and provably dumb only Rogerdamus would make it
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    Congratulations.

Whuh? I'm really not

"Dr. Ulrike Franke is a senior policy fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR). She leads ECFR’s Technology and European Power initiative. Her areas of focus include German and European security and defence, the future of warfare, and the impact of new technologies such as drones and artificial intelligence on geopolitics and warfare.

"Franke has published widely on these and other topics, among others in Die Zeit, FAZ, RUSI Whitehall Papers, Comparative Strategy, War on the Rocks, Zeitschrift für Außen- und Sicherheitspolitik, and regularly appears as commentator in the media. She co-hosts the Sicherheitshalber Podcast, a German-language podcast on security and defence.

"She holds a PhD in International Relations from the University of Oxford – in her PhD thesis, she studied the use of drones by western armed forces. She also holds a BA from Sciences Po Paris and a double summa cum laude MA degree from Sciences Po Paris (Affaires internationales/Sécurité internationale) and the University of St. Gallen (International Affairs and Governance)."

That's really quite some CV, esp for her age. When it comes to German Foreign Policy and Defence matters there can't be many people who are better informed. The fact her Twitter account has accrued 46,000 followers shows that a lot of other people feel the same way.

It is simply the case. "Obscure source" is a ludicrous Rogerism, ie a statement so inanely and provably dumb only Rogerdamus would make it
    Oh god who on earth is going to read all that. It's a lot of protesting.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    This was an early practice rendering.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    Congratulations.

Whuh? I'm really not

Oh god who on earth is going to read all that. It's a lot of protesting.
    Ah, you're on the lash again
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Touchy much?
    HS2 tunneling work has revealed a rich vein of flint under Camden?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

RobD said:

Boris Johnson is facing another three potential fines for lockdown breaches, according to senior sources, as he suffered his first ministerial resignation over the Partygate scandal.

In a sign of the continued nervousness in government that the prime minister’s position could come under threat when MPs return to Westminster from recess next week, a Downing Street source admitted the apparent lull felt like “calm before the potential storm”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/13/boris-johnson-could-get-three-more-fines-over-partygate-say-insiders

I doubt he can survive three more fines!

🤷‍♀️

We are in Putin/Trump territory if criticism of Johnson is treason, but I am in N. Notts. tonight, in the heart of the RedWall. Johnson is a patriot, and naysayers are traitors is the word here too.

Bizarre!
    If Putin hadn’t invaded he’d be gone! Now he stays and probably wins general election boosted with war leader Falklands factor 🤦‍♀️
    No election win on the back of Ukraine. There is no Falklands Factor. It is just wierd that good honest yeoman stock revere this arrogant half wit.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328

Roger said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Why do you find it impossible to criticise, or even read criticism of, the EU or any country in it when they’re so clearly being despicable shits?
    @Roger is a Euronationalist.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328

BigRich said:

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

Garbage

There has been a procession of politicians trying to cleanse their past association with their various Russia policies.

The German President was a particularly vociferous enthusiast for Nord Stream 2 - which was a strategic attack on Ukraine. He was also very vocal in being anti military aid to Ukraine and that Ukraine should shut up and compromise to keep the peace.

Fuck him and fuck his hurt little feelings. With a chainsaw.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    via Politico.com - Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has been removed from the voter rolls in North Carolina, as state officials probe potential voter fraud allegations against the former congressman.

“Macon County administratively removed the voter registration of Mark Meadows under” state law, Patrick Gannon — a spokesperson for the state board of elections — said in a statement, “after documentation indicated he lived in Virginia and last voted in the 2021 election there.”

Gannon referred any questions on an investigation into Meadows to the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation. Anjanette Grube, a spokesperson for the bureau, said in a statement that the organization's “investigation into potential voter fraud allegations concerning Mark Meadows remains ongoing.” She declined to comment further.

The news of Meadows’ removal was first reported by the Asheville Citizen-Times, after the county elections director confirmed Meadows’ removal from the rolls to the paper.

Asheville NC Citizen-Times: Mark Meadows removed from NC voter roll amid election fraud investigation

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/2022/04/13/mark-meadows-removed-nc-voter-roll-amid-voter-fraud-investigation/7290257001/

. . . Meadows, an ex-Asheville and Western North Carolina congressman, former top staffer for President Donald Trump and a leading proponent of the false claim that Trump lost the election due to widespread fraud, has not commented on the allegations since news broke in March that he registered to vote at a single-wide mobile home in Macon County where there is no evidence he ever lived. Meadows voted absentee using that address in the 2020 general election.

SBI spokesperson Anjanette Grube did not immediately respond to a message asking if the change in registration had any significance to the investigation.

Thibault said Virginia records show that when Meadows registered in that state he did not include information about his Macon County registration. Because of that, Virginia election officials did not notify N.C. officials about the double registration, she said.

It is a normal practice to remove voters such a way, Thibault said.

The registration of Meadows' wife Debra remains active for the Scaly Mountain address, which neither she nor her husband ever owned.

News first broke of the unlikely voter address with March 6 New Yorker story that cited interviews with neighbors, the owner and former owner who said Debra Meadows rented the home and stayed there a few nights but Mark Meadows was never seen there.

Macon County Republican voters interviewed by the Citizen Times expressed skepticism a powerful member of the president's staff lived in the small home with a rusted roof.

An N.C. woman who said she was prosecuted for mistakenly voting while on probation, meanwhile, called for Meadows to face a similar fate. . . .
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

stodge said:

🤷‍♀️

Something far amiss with the UK
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

Heh

Poetic justice, what a tool
This discussion has been closed.