Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How will the BoJo exit betting look after the May locals? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,177

How you doing @Taz

Not bad at all thanks @CorrectHorseBattery, hope all is well with you too.

I’m looking forward to Easter.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Roger said:

Tobias Ellwood saying that if may elections do not go well than Boris must seek a vote of confidence

Which he will never do........and would still win even if there was a vote.

It is pathetic.
    I am increasingly not sure he would win
    You are wrong. Not a single member of the cabinet has criticised him. A lot of the MPs who criticised him earlier in the year, when they couldn't muster the 54 needed for a challenge are saying it is time to move on. I have only heard of one Tory MP openly critical today, if he was under any threat there would be at least several dozen.

I do wish you are right, but the evidence does not support your view.
    This is a rapidly developing situation and I agree with every word Lord Wolfson has written

Remember we have 5 more days of drip drip and as for the weekend papers Boris supporters are going to need to close their eyes as I believe it could be dreadful for him

Furthermore, his mps must be getting a lot of hassle in their constituency and must realise that the only way to restore faith in the party is for them to act and act quickly

I understand Rishi has gone to the US which seems strange, and nobody should be surprised if he resigns which of course would precipitate the fall of Boris

I would not be surprised to see Boris and Carrie walking away from Downing Street in the next few weeks
    Your yoyo opinions have made your judgement about as reliable as Johnson's albeit with less consequences
    You know you've hit rock bottom when Roger, rightly, criticises your predictions.
    Roger slays G, TSE slays Roger. It's a bloody day on PB :lol:
    Maybe you would prefer I stop posting
    Please, that would make my year
    Of course it would but then it is not going to happen nor is Starmer going to be PM
    Well if you had your way we'd have Rishi as PM now. Your judgment is terrible.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Roger said:

Tobias Ellwood saying that if may elections do not go well than Boris must seek a vote of confidence

It is pathetic.
    You are wrong. Not a single member of the cabinet has criticised him. A lot of the MPs who criticised him earlier in the year, when they couldn't muster the 54 needed for a challenge are saying it is time to move on. I have only heard of one Tory MP openly critical today, if he was under any threat there would be at least several dozen.

This is a rapidly developing situation and I agree with every word Lord Wolfson has written

Remember we have 5 more days of drip drip and as for the weekend papers Boris supporters are going to need to close their eyes as I believe it could be dreadful for him

Furthermore, his mps must be getting a lot of hassle in their constituency and must realise that the only way to restore faith in the party is for them to act and act quickly

I understand Rishi has gone to the US which seems strange, and nobody should be surprised if he resigns which of course would precipitate the fall of Boris

I would not be surprised to see Boris and Carrie walking away from Downing Street in the next few weeks
    Your yoyo opinions have made your judgement about as reliable as Johnson's albeit with less consequences
    You know you've hit rock bottom when Roger, rightly, criticises your predictions.
    Banter and taking the piss out of bad predictions is a staple of PB from its very founding.

We all make them, except me of course.
    Fair comment

Just a bit sensitive today as it is my son in laws mother's funeral tomorrow and the family are very sensitive, not least because their father is 89 and in a wheelchair has only been able to see her a few times in the last months due to various reasons, not least as they were in separate nursing homes
  • Options
    Big G was Rishi's biggest fan a few weeks ago, Johnson before that.

Then he said he was quitting the Tory Party, might vote for another party. Then he was a Tory again.

Now he might vote another party but also hopes the Tories win again.

I am dizzy
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

This is much sooner than it was reported it would be, which suggests good operational security.

ShKH vz. 77 DANA 152mm self-propelled howitzers are already in Ukraine - seems a batch of them was recently delivered from the Czech Republic. The amount of supplied howitzers is currently unknown, however as seen they are already deployed/tested by the Ukrainian army.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1514294528550879235

I also don't know how many are being sent, from Wikipedia the Checks have 164 (well had in 2008) and the Ukrainians had 28.

Don't know how effective they are but the photo on Wikipedia looks intimidating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/152mm_SpGH_DANA#152_mm_ShKH_DANA-M1_CZ
  • Options
    Taz said:

How you doing @Taz

Hi Taz, doing okay here. Getting the bits into place so I can do my soldering.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Of course it would but then it is not going to happen nor is Starmer going to be PM
    Says someone who would have foisted Corbyn on us
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    edited April 2022

Then he said he was quitting the Tory Party, might vote for another party. Then he was a Tory again.

I am dizzy

Maybe just move on and by the way I have resigned from the conservative party, am voting for the independent non closet conservative in may, and will be perfectly content to see Boris go
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    And... Oryx is over 500 Russian tanks destroyed. Currently at 504.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

Quick question - anyone care to recommend a good restaurant near the British Museum for an early Saturday evening dinner? Was going to book The Ivy but of course, no availability as I'm not an a-list celeb!

Noble Rot
    Thanks - Streetview shows it has a step - I am sure they'l have a ramp but f*ck-it, I get fed up with asking.

Appreciate I didn't specify level access so apols, I am not meaning to diss your suggestion.
    Mon Plaisir in Monmouth Street used to be very good. It's at the top end so pretty close to British Museum. Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden also used to be excellent. Haven't been to either for a few years so worth checking out recent reviews. Had lunch at the original Ivy a couple of weeks a go IMO it's not what it was, food was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Mon Plaisir and Clos Maggiore both have level access. Also Rules in Covent Garden, always reliable.
    Thanks, I have already booked The Ivy now - always wanted to try it, I accept it will probably be underwhelming but at least I'll be able to tick it off. Will bear your recommendations in mind for future trips. Cheers.
    I'm sure you will have a great time.Enjoy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

His judgement with Johnson was spot on; it was the decision-making that led to voting for him that was awry.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Wolfson. Hero.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2022

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Banter and taking the piss out of bad predictions is a staple of PB from its very founding.

That's true. I had it in the bag before they allowed a lady of the night onto here. I just watch her in awe. Big_G's a floating voter. He floats between Tory and Tory several times daily.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Fair comment

Just a bit sensitive today as it is my son in laws mother's funeral tomorrow and the family are very sensitive, not least because their father is 89 and in a wheelchair has only been able to see her a few times in the last months due to various reasons, not least as they were in separate nursing homes
    Always a tough time and this sounds especially so. Best wishes to all the family.
  • Options

Wolfson. Hero.

It could be a very big moment and his letter has convinced me Boris has to go
  • Options

I am dizzy

Maybe just move on and by the way I have resigned from the conservative party, am voting for the independent non closet conservative in may, and will be perfectly content to see Boris go
    But you will definitely be voting Conservative again in 2024 as will Philip Thompson despite his tedious whining.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Fair comment

Always a tough time and this sounds especially so. Best wishes to all the family.
    Thank you so much

I have been coaching my son in law on his eulogy as he is so nervous he will be overcome with emotion
  • Options

Imagine having one’s year made by driving an OAP off a politics blog. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything sadder on here.

I haven't had the best of days but then I do try to fight my corner, and me leaving making a posters year is more a commentary on that poster and his desire to close down debate, than myself
    And we’d all miss you trying to explain in 2023/4 why you’re voting Tory again after another year+ of telling us what a dreadful PM Johnson is.
  • Options

I am dizzy

But you will definitely be voting Conservative again in 2024 as will Philip Thompson despite his tedious whining.
    You are very presumptive, but if Boris goes then yes I will rejoin and vote conservative in 24
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Fair comment

Thank you so much

I have been coaching my son in law on his eulogy as he is so nervous he will be overcome with emotion
    As a professional organist I have attended dozens of funerals and that happens often. Personally those are the funerals I feel most emotion at - not best at, or sad, exactly - moved perhaps? - but knowing that I am taking part in saying good bye to somebody who really mattered and was much loved by those there. It makes me feel something deep inside.

The funerals I always personally feel saddest at, by contrast, are where it’s me, the Vicar, the undertakers and nobody else, because either nobody likes them or they have outlived all family and friends so nobody was left to turn up.

So if it helps, tell him emotion is good. It shows she mattered to those close to her.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

I am dizzy

But you will definitely be voting Conservative again in 2024 as will [...] despite his tedious whining.
    How interesting, for someone with 20 posts.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    IanB2 said:

Imagine having one’s year made by driving an OAP off a politics blog. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything sadder on here.

I haven't had the best of days but then I do try to fight my corner, and me leaving making a posters year is more a commentary on that poster and his desire to close down debate, than myself
    And we’d all miss you trying to explain in 2023/4 why you’re voting Tory again after another year+ of telling us what a dreadful PM Johnson is.
    Fair comment but Boris is over for me now and I am very content to vote independent in may
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

The Twilight Zone had some good war episodes as well.

Judgement Night, Deaths Head Revisited and the Purple Testament being exceptional.

Das Boot is excellent and the film Stalingrad, from 1993, is excellent

It has Putinist vibes but I enjoyed the 2013 Stalingrad, kind of a martial arts movie meets spaghetti western at the Volga. Not really a fan of Enemy at the Gates, partly cos it has Jude Law in it and its cgi Stukas were a bit crap.
    Sam Mendes' 1917 is magnificent
    Nah it's ok. I can't get on with George whatsisface.

Dunkirk is the excellent one. The soundtrack reverberates still.
    Parts of Dunkirk absolutely superb.

Not sure it is Ken Branagh's finest hour though.
    I saw it in a full fat sound-enhanced or capable cinema and for me the constant menace of the soundtrack the whole way through, that reverberating hum that was never absent and foretold danger and terror was fabulous. And it rightly won an Oscar.

SKB I could take or leave I agree.
    I loved the famous single take sequence in Dunkirk, but the rest of it I found stodgy and dull. The mirror image of opinions on 1917
    No, the single take sequence is in 1917.

Dunkirk is the one with three intertwined time-lines (Air, Sea, Beach).
    You're quite right. My mistake. The single take sequence is in Atonement - which is "about" Dunkirk

I am now starting to wonder if I have actually seen "Dunkirk", which either renders my last two hours of commentary laughably irrelevant. Or Dunkirk is so forgettable it is shite

I love war movies. I can't believe I missed a famous one? I am now going to check
    I thought Dunkirk was excellent.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Omnium said:

It is pathetic.
    He's been far too radical and scary.

Military types in the race

Elwood- we're all dead
    Tugendhat - that's a gamble
    Wallace - running the odd risk
    Don't forget Penny Mordaunt.
    Her dad serving doesn't count.

I do quite like her, but nowhere near a contender in my thoughts. However my thoughts are clearly not best aligned with what might happen.... I rather like Patel for example.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,736

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Fair comment

Thank you so much

I sympathise. It's not something I have ever been able to do. The last two funerals where that was an issue, I took the greatest care in writing the eulogies - but gave it to the celebrant to read. I did not trust myself to do it, but other people will find it a great comfort.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Fair comment

Thank you so much

As a professional organist I have attended dozens of funerals and that happens often. Personally those are the funerals I feel most emotion at - not best at, or sad, exactly - moved perhaps? - but knowing that I am taking part in saying good bye to somebody who really mattered and was much loved by those there. It makes me feel something deep inside.

The funerals I always personally feel saddest at, by contrast, are where it’s me, the Vicar, the undertakers and nobody else, because either nobody likes them or they have outlived all family and friends so nobody was left to turn up.

So if it helps, tell him emotion is good. It shows she mattered to those close to her.
    You are so wise and experienced

I have undertaken eulogies on many occasions and with a long career in public speaking (nor political) I am confident, but it was difficult when I had to speak at the funeral's of my father, mother, sister and best friend
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Roger said:

It is pathetic.

Fair comment

Thank you so much

Strongly agree with the second paragraph. Funerals are for those who remain behind - it's terribly sad when nobody remains behind.
  • Options
    boulay said:

I am dizzy

Interesting that someone who “joined” the site a few days ago is referring to another poster who hasn’t posted under that name for a few months and has made it clear they would rather not be referred to by that name.

Very Meta - a changed identity that newly exists referring to a changed identity that no longer exists.
    Is he being coached by @HYUFD who seems quiet by his standards today
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

I am dizzy

You Labour supporters need to learn a little civility in speaking of your opponents Mr Graves.
  • Options
    boulay said:

I am dizzy

Interesting that someone who “joined” the site a few days ago is referring to another poster who hasn’t posted under that name for a few months and has made it clear they would rather not be referred to by that name.

Very Meta - a changed identity that newly exists referring to a changed identity that no longer exists.
    Troll
  • Options
    'You can't go round the world defending democratic norms if you don't follow them yourself'

Well said David Wolfson (A devout Jew as it happens)

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

The Twilight Zone had some good war episodes as well.

Judgement Night, Deaths Head Revisited and the Purple Testament being exceptional.

Das Boot is excellent and the film Stalingrad, from 1993, is excellent

It has Putinist vibes but I enjoyed the 2013 Stalingrad, kind of a martial arts movie meets spaghetti western at the Volga. Not really a fan of Enemy at the Gates, partly cos it has Jude Law in it and its cgi Stukas were a bit crap.
    Sam Mendes' 1917 is magnificent
    Nah it's ok. I can't get on with George whatsisface.

Dunkirk is the excellent one. The soundtrack reverberates still.
    Parts of Dunkirk absolutely superb.

Not sure it is Ken Branagh's finest hour though.
    I saw it in a full fat sound-enhanced or capable cinema and for me the constant menace of the soundtrack the whole way through, that reverberating hum that was never absent and foretold danger and terror was fabulous. And it rightly won an Oscar.

SKB I could take or leave I agree.
    I loved the famous single take sequence in Dunkirk, but the rest of it I found stodgy and dull. The mirror image of opinions on 1917
    No, the single take sequence is in 1917.

Dunkirk is the one with three intertwined time-lines (Air, Sea, Beach).
    You're quite right. My mistake. The single take sequence is in Atonement - which is "about" Dunkirk

I am now starting to wonder if I have actually seen "Dunkirk", which either renders my last two hours of commentary laughably irrelevant. Or Dunkirk is so forgettable it is shite

I love war movies. I can't believe I missed a famous one? I am now going to check
    I thought Dunkirk was excellent.
    On first viewing, it was. But IMHO it doesn’t merit repeat viewing like some of the classics.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

I am dizzy

But you will definitely be voting Conservative again in 2024 as will [...] despite his tedious whining.
    20 garbage posts at that
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Rise above it G.
    Indeed Malc
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Wolfson. Hero.

It could be a very big moment and his letter has convinced me Boris has to go
    Great letter.

"though the heavens fall"
  • Options
    Roger said:

'You can't go round the world defending democratic norms if you don't follow them yourself'

Well said David Wolfson (A devout Jew as it happens)

It was those words which really hit home for me
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    DougSeal said:

I am dizzy

You Labour supporters need to learn a little civility in speaking of your opponents Mr Graves.
    What makes you think he's a Labour supporter?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    If you are around Bartholmew, as I was saying: supply and demand:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61095186
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I am dizzy

Right so you don't think I'm hounded and bullied, name-called and attacked mercilessly and rudely because I happen to share my left of centre views on here?

Truly some people on this place are really nasty, which befits the tory party they support.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It should also be commented that Shanghai port is paralysed causing huge disruption to world trade and prices
  • Options
    boulay said:

I am dizzy

Oh here we go again. Another pile-on with multiple likes against someone who happens not to share the same worldview of the pb Gammon club.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

DougSeal said:

I am dizzy

Right so you don't think I'm hounded and bullied, name-called and attacked mercilessly and rudely because I happen to share my left of centre views on here?

Truly some people on this place are really nasty, which befits the tory party they support.
    I would gently suggest you are not all virtuous yourself at times
  • Options

I am dizzy

Who?
    Please respect posters right to keep their identities off the site.
    Unless they do that by using a VPN in which case they are mercilessly called a troll.

Pot, kettle, black my friend.
  • Options

Taz said:

How you doing @Taz

I hope you are better at it than I am. I did soldering as an apprentice many years ago. Not great.
  • Options

Thank you, I do try
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

How you doing @Taz

I hope you are better at it than I am. I did soldering as an apprentice many years ago. Not great.
    We will see, just got to hopefully change one fuse on this logic board to get the backlight for the screen working again. We will see.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I am dizzy

Who?
    Unless they do that by using a VPN in which case they are mercilessly called a troll.

The IP addresses of reputable VPN providers are known, and don’t crop up in blocklists of known spammers.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Heathener said:

DougSeal said:

I am dizzy

I doubt there's anyone here that is nasty. Apart from.... hang on it's a wobbly feed...
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Heathener said:

boulay said:

I am dizzy

Oh here we go again. Another pile-on with multiple likes against someone who happens not to share the same worldview of the pb Gammon club.
    Ok. Your usual analytical skills at work.

The point I was making was that a new poster was attacking another poster using the old poster ID which that poster had requested, for professional reasons, was no longer used.

So not only an issue around doxxing but also slightly mysterious that such a new poster would know the former ID of the poster they were attacking considering that it hasn’t been used for a long time.

It was nothing to do with any views expressed.

Is there any bit of that you don’t understand - obviously if we were talking face to face I would have been able to say it very slowly to help you but I’m sure you read slowly and so might be able to process what it means.
  • Options
    Has ConHome collapsed under all the traffic?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197
    Heathener said:

I am dizzy

Who?

This is about doxxing, not how you access the site.
    Btw how is your recovery? Not in too much pain hopefully?
  • Options

Heathener said:

It should also be commented that Shanghai port is paralysed causing huge disruption to world trade and prices
    We’ve had suppliers from Shanghai region declare Force Majeure on us due to not being able to produce due to lockdown.
  • Options

Heathener said:

I am dizzy

Who?

This is about doxxing, not how you access the site.
    Btw how is your recovery? Not in too much pain hopefully?
    Heathener also deadnamed Bartholomew earlier today.

Totally needless, especially when he has asked before not to have his other name used here.

Now we have a new poster here less than a week using his real name. A name he has not used on here for a while.

What a coincidence.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

We’ve had suppliers from Shanghai region declare Force Majeure on us due to not being able to produce due to lockdown.
    There was a report on 5 live business early this morning that was very scary about the problems with China and Shanghai in particular, but of course as it is on the other side of the world it does not seem to get the coverage it deserves
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

I am dizzy

20 garbage posts at that
    At least they’re consistent Malc.
  • Options

Taz said:

Heathener said:

There was a report on 5 live business early this morning that was very scary about the problems with China and Shanghai in particular, but of course as it is on the other side of the world it does not seem to get the coverage it deserves
    It really doesn’t. The ramifications of this if it continues are quite stark. It needs more coverage. But we are quite insular over here and just like to blame local factors for the issues we have.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

I am dizzy

20 garbage posts at that
    At least they’re consistent Malc.
    Fucking amateur. Come back when they're on a run of 5492 garbage posts.
    Farooq you're a valued contributor here. I enjoy all your posts.
  • Options

boulay said:

I am dizzy

Why are you baiting somebody into replying? You cry bullying and then you behave this way.

Why can't you just leave him alone? I see you doing this nearly every day.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Bit tetchy on here tonight.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

Will he use the dontcha know there's a war on, I've work to do excuse?

Are these the same parties Ed Balls, Prince Harry or Pier Morgan attended?

I do find it really bizarre that anybody think you what total laugh, lets go to a fancy dress party as a Nazi. You have 1000s of options to choose from, no I want to go as Nazi. Same as black face, anybody going to a party in the past 20-30 years, it just doesn't enter your head.
    His excuse is the really bad thing. I mean if he'd just said 'Yep, went as an SS officer, I thought it was funny at the time, looking back it was exceedingly crass and insensitive, and I'm mortified.' - instead he talks about 'perverse themes' and makes himself look like not only was he dressing up as a Nazi, he was getting a sexual thrill by doing so! AND that he was apparently so used to donning socially unacceptable get ups that he couldn't even remember that specific one! That's like asking the press to dig out his greatest hits.
  • Options

Just tonight ?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

boulay said:

I am dizzy

Why are you baiting somebody into replying? You cry bullying and then you behave this way.

You are not the site moderator even though you seem to want to appoint yourself to the role

In the politest of ways just get over yourself
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

One or two interesting comments about how parties fight elections earlier and we get this every local election cycle usually from people who've never been involved in fighting an election.

It all depends where you start - in Newham we have a Labour council so the Labour leaflets are a combination of local "success" stories from the Ward and Government-bashing along the lines of "we'd like to do more but the evil Tory Government won't give us enough money" etc.

The opposition leaflets end up sounding the same - whether Conservative or Socialist Labour. They are mostly about highlighting the Council's failings insinuating but never alleging corruption and focussing more on incompetence. The Mayor of London gets dragged in as a secondary target on crime and policing. The Conservative leaflets mention Boris Johnson in passing while the Socialist Labour ones add a layer of anti-Government critique.

There's a judgement over how much you want to mention your national party or leadership. It may be some local Conservatives won't even feature Boris Johnson especially where they are running the council - I've even seen Conservative leaflets which don't mention the word Conservative and are all about the local candidate on the basis of "vote for me, I just happen to be a Conservative".

When your leader is popular, there's plenty of pictures - popularity by association as it were.

If you are in opposition and with a chance of taking control, you have to point up a couple of key areas where you'll be different from the incumbent administration - this is often harder than it looks. Saying you'll cut Council Tax isn't very convincing if you offer up pledges of more spending here, there and everywhere.

If you're not going to get elected, you can make all the promises you like (I suppose) but you shouldn't be wasting limited resources where you can't win nor (I'd argue) should you waste them if you get 75% of the vote. When I see Labour canvassers in Newham, I think "what a waste" but I suppose they pick up local concerns and complaints.

Obviously Independent and Resident candidates can play the game differently - a well-liked and respected Independent is a very hard candidate to fight though you can always argue they have to work with the political authority of the council to get anything done.

I have a little sympathy for hard working councillors who get the thin end of a protest vote against the Government but it cuts both ways - in other years, candidates for the Government party can be swept in on the coat tails.
  • Options

He lied, and lied, and lied.
    That’s why he must go, as soon as possible.

The Tories are damaging the constitution.

we dont have one
    We have letters to The Times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lascelles_Principles
    Not sure that'd work if MalcG drafted one..
  • Options
    On topic, I expect the locals next month to be an absolute disaster for the Conservatives.

I also expect Boris to stay in place because it's totally unclear who'd replace him and do any better.

So, I am betting accordingly.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It is pathetic.

Elwood- we're all dead

I do quite like her, but nowhere near a contender in my thoughts. However my thoughts are clearly not best aligned with what might happen.... I rather like Patel for example.
    I like Patel. The issue seems to be that we're in a minority of two. And I am not a party member.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Heathener said:

DougSeal said:

I am dizzy

I wasn’t talking to you. I was talking to that rabid pinko James Graves. Chill. We love you.
  • Options

Will he use the dontcha know there's a war on, I've work to do excuse?

Are these the same parties Ed Balls, Prince Harry or Pier Morgan attended?

I do find it really bizarre that anybody think you what total laugh, lets go to a fancy dress party as a Nazi. You have 1000s of options to choose from, no I want to go as Nazi. Same as black face, anybody going to a party in the past 20-30 years, it just doesn't enter your head.
    His excuse is the really bad thing. I mean if he'd just said 'Yep, went as an SS officer, I thought it was funny at the time, looking back it was exceedingly crass and insensitive, and I'm mortified.' - instead he talks about 'perverse themes' and makes himself look like not only was he dressing up as a Nazi, he was getting a sexual thrill by doing so! AND that he was apparently so used to donning socially unacceptable get ups that he couldn't even remember that specific one! That's like asking the press to dig out his greatest hits.
    I’m not sure about the ‘just’ part of that, but yes, he is unwisely doubling down.
  • Options

On topic, I expect the locals next month to be an absolute disaster for the Conservatives.

I also expect Boris to stay in place because it's totally unclear who'd replace him and do any better.

Any free bets I get I put them on starmer as next PM. I cannot see the Tories ditching him.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Any free bets I get I put them on starmer as next PM. I cannot see the Tories ditching him.
    Taz said:

Yes, I am now betting on Starmer.

I don't expect a slam dunk but I think the most likely scenario now is that the Tories lose sufficient seats in 2024 for him to enter office as PM at the head of a Labour minority government.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Ukraine is now getting lessons from Germany on diplomatic customs:

https://twitter.com/RikeFranke/status/1514247714631991301

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

“With all understanding for the existential threat to the 🇺🇦 from the Russian invasion, I expect Ukrainian representatives to adhere to a minimum of diplomatic customs and not interfere unduly in our country's domestic politics.”
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It is pathetic.

Elwood- we're all dead

I like Patel. The issue seems to be that we're in a minority of two. And I am not a party member.
    Make that three, and I'm not a Tory.
    She genuinely seems to believe in what she says. Though that isn't to my taste, honesty is in short supply in this government.
    And she doesn't go out of her way to kiss the PM's arse. An almost unique quality.
  • Options

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

“With all understanding for the existential threat to the 🇺🇦 from the Russian invasion, I expect Ukrainian representatives to adhere to a minimum of diplomatic customs and not interfere unduly in our country's domestic politics.”

The state of this…
  • Options

I am leaning the other way. What constitutes an "absolute disaster" in your eyes?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Taz said:

Taz said:

I don't expect a slam dunk but I think the most likely scenario now is that the Tories lose sufficient seats in 2024 for him to enter office as PM at the head of a Labour minority government.
    A minority labour/lib Dem govt with confidence and supply from the SNP is what I expect.

I also expect the next general election to show some interesting results to show a major shift. I think the Tories will hold on in some places they are not expected to, and even may make a couple of gains although I do expect a chunk of the red wall to go back.. I also expect they will lose in their heartlands to reflect changing demographics, particularly younger age groups moving to places like Wycombe and Hastings.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It is pathetic.

Elwood- we're all dead

She genuinely seems to believe in what she says. Though that isn't to my taste, honesty is in short supply in this government.
    And she doesn't go out of her way to kiss the PM's arse. An almost unique quality.
    She's been sacked twice for lying!
  • Options

boulay said:

I am dizzy

You are not the site moderator even though you seem to want to appoint yourself to the role

You constantly appoint yourself to be the moderator, it's pathetic to see.

You're a total and utter hypocrite - and I am going to now place you on the ignore list.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

A minority labour/lib Dem govt with confidence and supply from the SNP is what I expect.
    Me too.
  • Options
    Roger said:

dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It is pathetic.

Elwood- we're all dead

She's been sacked twice for lying!
    That was lying in her spare time to her colleagues.
    On the issues she speaks her mind. Even if it makes it awkward.
  • Options

boulay said:

I am dizzy

You constantly appoint yourself to be the moderator, it's pathetic to see.

You're a total and utter hypocrite - and I am going to now place you on the ignore list.
    Really pleased you have read and taken on board @ydoethur advice
  • Options

@RikeFranke
    😳
    SPD chairman:

What have you got against the EU in general and France in particular? You find these obscure anti EU websites and link to them non stop. I think everyone gets the message.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I am leaning the other way. What constitutes an "absolute disaster" in your eyes?
    I'm not sure but I expect the Tories to be hammered in seats and vote share.

I'm certainly not voting for them.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,742
    dixiedean said:

Johnson surviving perhaps.....
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197

Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Me too.
    Me too. I’m not sure whether there is any way the Tories can prevent this now.
  • Options
    I’m at my Perpignan apartment and have decided to stay in for the evening. I found a Carrefour City at the end of the road (SO much better than the crappy Tesco Metros I used to have to go to in London). I’ve bought the essentials - beer, wine and coffee - and the luxuries - washing liquid and food for tonight.

I couldn’t find my new favourite beer, but was very pleased to find my favourite from my last road trip in France, La Goudale. It’s 7.2% ABV, very tasty and was only just over €2 for each 750ml bottle from the fridge (I was rather amused that the only beer sold out was the Camden Hells, the only British beer they had). I’m a small glass away from starting the second bottle. Then I can crack open my bottle of Roussillon red.

I’ve got veal escalopes (which only came in packs of two, so I may be eating the same for lunch tomorrow); mushrooms, garlic and crème fraiche for the sauce, and some new potatoes. I thought about getting some green veg, but I’ve only got two hobs. I’ve done my prep and will be cooking soon, before I get too drunk 🤪

I’ve got my washing on and I’ve been enjoying a very entertaining cat fight in the courtyard outside while tucking into my first beer.

Oh, and I had a stroll down to Dali’s “centre of the universe” earlier, and it’s not all that impressive (though was probably relatively more so when Dali said it). But I did handily get to look at some train schedules for Friday.
  • Options
    I’m guessing Legz Akimbo have reformed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-61077514
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    I see Scotland are getting rid of their masks and joining Free England soon
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Michael Fabricant demonstrates once again Boris Johnson is not the most fluent liar in politics:

Nursing and teaching bodies complain about MP's lockdown drink comments
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-61088139

If he had names, he should pass them to the police.

He won’t because like the stupid looking lazy dishonest amoral pillock he is, he’s making it up.

It’s awfully tempting to stand as an Indie in Lichfield at the next election so I can call him a lying, stupid looking, lazy c*** every five minutes in every debate.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

I also expect the next general election to show some interesting results to show a major shift. I think the Tories will hold on in some places they are not expected to, and even may make a couple of gains although I do expect a chunk of the red wall to go back.. I also expect they will lose in their heartlands to reflect changing demographics, particularly younger age groups moving to places like Wycombe and Hastings.
    The new seat of Worthing looks a very good bet. It's now just the town centre, rather than split in two.
This discussion has been closed.