Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will Macron prove to be quasi effective against Le Pen today? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,923
    edited April 2022

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If Macron gets to 24% it means he has under-performed all the polling. Given how tight the R2 polling is between him and MLP that is very worrying for those of us who would prefer not to have a Putin apologist with access to all NATO’s military secrets living next door

you mean another apologist

Macron already is one
    He's not been as resolute as Johnson has, but he has been better than the leaders of Italy, Germany, Japan, or a host of other countries. He has shipped weapons to Ukraine. And he has backed sanctions.

Now, could he have done more, such as getting Total to fully withdraw from Russia, and pressuring other state owned businesses such as Renault to pull out? Could he have backed a full ban on all energy imports from Russia? Sure he could. There's lots more he could have done.

But to claim that Macron and Le Pen are on the same page as far as Putinphilia is patently ridiculous.
    Its a slow Sunday and its PB, we have to have a bit of excitement or else its Citys disallowed goal.

But lets be clear hes currently not just President of France, he's le grand fromage of Europe and so far he's done very little but do Maria Zakharovas job for her.

https://news.sky.com/story/emmanuel-macron-calls-polish-pm-mateusz-morawiecki-far-right-anti-semite-after-criticism-of-his-putin-calls-12585999
    Wow. That's a spectacularly piece of "whataboutery".
    I didnt say it Macron did, so much for solidarite commune in a time of crisis/
    It is ridiculous whataboutery, and you know it.

Because the discussion wasn't about whether Macron is a cock, or whether he insulted the Polish PM, or whatever. It is about an equivalence in Putinaphilia between Le Pen and Macron.

And there is no equivalence.
    Macron might not like Putin but he does still want his business and would happily sell the easten Europeans to get it.
    And yet France has never been the block behind any of the EU sanctions - that would be Italy, Hungary and Germany. Nor have they been backward in sending arms.

So basically, it's an assertion without any actual evidence.

France is suffering - like the rest of the world - with a cost of living crisis. Macron is in a tight election. He could easily have sold out the Ukrainians for cheaper petrol at the pump. He did not.

Now, am I claiming he's somehow a paragon of virtue? Nope. He's got his eyes very firmly fixed on French national interest. And he's also anglophobe whose statements on AZ were beyond irresponsible.

But he has not sold out the Eastern Europeans. Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. But you don't know. And your attempts to claim that he is somehow equivalent with a woman who plastered Putin over her campaign literature really tells us more about you than anything else.
    Macron is not pushing the feet draggers and thats his job in Europe, if leadership hurts he shouldnt take the job .. Macron was also happy to take the PR by sitting with Putin for the PR when it looks good.
    Nah I think you are wrong on this. I think Macron has done a bloody good job so far regarding Ukraine. Certainly far better than many others in the EU and easily on a par with Johnson and Biden. Not much to choose between all three of them in terms of the way they have stepped up to the mark.

I said it a few weeks ago, I think Macron deserves to win this election simply on the strength of his leadership in the Ukraine crisis and for being willing to put up with listening to Putin ranting away day after day.
    He was, in the run up to the start of the war, trying to make Ukraine accept Minsk II. Which is why the Ukrainians were/are a bit wary of the his position.
    Yes. If he’d been an independent communications line fielding negotiations between the two sides, rather than simply delivering Putin’s demands to Kiev, then there might be more respect for him in Ukraine.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,367
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Andy_JS said:

Cue the long table...

"Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer will travel to Russia on Monday to meet President Vladimir Putin, an Austrian government spokesperson has said according to Reuters."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/apr/10/russia-ukraine-war-latest-zelenskiy-pushes-for-oil-embargo-to-curb-russias-sense-of-impunity-uk-pledges-to-send-more-arms-live#top-of-blog

Is it really appropriate to meet him in person given the current situation?
    Austria, not being a NATO member, is presumably trying to be some sort of rational mediator, good luck, but I dont think it will work, at least not at this point.

Talking of which, we spend a lot of time talking about Finland and Sweden joining NATO, but never discuses Austria joining, presumably that's because of constiuatale reasons Austria can not join? but do we know if there is any public support for joining NATO?
    I think there was something formal, as a condition for Russia withdrawing from its sector of occupation of Austria and allowing the country to transition to a post-occupation state. Ah yes, here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Neutrality
    Thanks for sharing that link :)

yes it seems to have a strong constitutional block on joining any military alliance. presumably as a soverin nation Austria could, if the parliament wanted to vote to change this. but that's probably a moot point if only 18% of the population what to join NATO, its no worth spending to much time thinking about.
    Austria is in the currently privileged position of being landlocked and sharing land borders only with NATO countries, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. If Austria has to start to worry about joining NATO then things have gone south very rapidly. Sweden and Finland are a bit more exposed.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Nobody should admire Franco for any reason. Of course HYUFD talks again of stuff he didn't live thru' (unlike many of us who were around when he was in power and visited Spain), although a quick look at Wikipedia answers the question as to whether he should be admired for anything.

I know nothing about Franco except a vague sense that he was not a good guy based on the fact he was close to Mussolini and Peron. Is that unfair, or can I stick him on my list of shit I don’t to know about?
    Franco was a butcher who overthrew a democratic government and slaughtered his opponents wholesale. One can make two mitigating claims for him. He stayed out of WW2, to the disappointment of Hitler, which enabled us to maintain Gibaltar. And in his later years, he largely stopped murdering people and it became possible to expressed mild dissent at an individual level without getting arrested.

All things are relative. He was arguably marginally less bad than Mussolini, and certainly less bad than Hitler.
    Hmmm.

How many of us were happy going to Spain on holiday whilst it was run by Franco? How many of us would be happy going to Russia now? Should it matter?

I'm, as Zsa-Zsa Gabor may have said to the end of her days, too young to have had the option.
    I did go to Spain when Franco was in power, but was still in nappies at the time, so have an excuse. I greatly enjoyed the 2018 World Cup and am keen to see more of Russia. It has long been on my list to do the Trans-Siberian, but that have to put that off for a few years.

Wife and I were last year planning the Trans-Siberian for next summer. Obviously not now, and not while Putin is alive.

Maybe Lviv this summer instead. Ukraine needs the foreign money.
    I wanted to go to St Petersburg

hats probably out for some time.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Nobody should admire Franco for any reason. Of course HYUFD talks again of stuff he didn't live thru' (unlike many of us who were around when he was in power and visited Spain), although a quick look at Wikipedia answers the question as to whether he should be admired for anything.

I know nothing about Franco except a vague sense that he was not a good guy based on the fact he was close to Mussolini and Peron. Is that unfair, or can I stick him on my list of shit I don’t to know about?
    Franco was a butcher who overthrew a democratic government and slaughtered his opponents wholesale. One can make two mitigating claims for him. He stayed out of WW2, to the disappointment of Hitler, which enabled us to maintain Gibaltar. And in his later years, he largely stopped murdering people and it became possible to expressed mild dissent at an individual level without getting arrested.

All things are relative. He was arguably marginally less bad than Mussolini, and certainly less bad than Hitler.
    Somehow Stalin never gets a look in.
    Please, everyone, stop talking about how bad fascists are, it seems to upset Alanbrooke because reasons.
    Alanbrooke makes a perfectly reasonable point. In the great league table of fucking rabid genocidal nutters Stalin wins hands down against all comers. Yet there is a faction of the left that seems to hate having this pointed out. Your reaction would seem to indicate you are part of this faction.

Of course that doesn't for a second excuse the right wing fucking rabid genocidal nutters but we still live in a world where it is acceptable to display the Hammer and Sickle but not the Swastika when both should be equally offensive.
    Why are you all silent on Emperor Hirohito's forces massacring 14 million people in China and Asia more widely. I've always suspected this place to be a hotbed of Sinophobic fascists, and I guess that's now confirmed.
    Because compared to Stalin and Mao he's an amateur.

Admit it, you just can't stand seeing those left wing icons being compared to the fascists.

(That last is slightly tongue in cheek)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,651

kjh said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Rishi Sunak is about to be overtaken by Tom Tugendhat for second place in the next Tory leader stakes on BE.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234

Rather ridiculous given Tugendhat is a Remainer unlike Sunak and not even in the Cabinet.

Wallace should be in the top 3 to succeed Boris alongside Truss and Sunak, not Tugendhat
    Is the Leaver/Remainer thing still a dynamic though? I get the impression that the Tories are now seeing Brexit as something of an embarrassment best forgotten about. (The last strained attempt to make a virtue out of it was the stuff with Rees-Mogg and The Sun but I doubt there'll be any repetition of that - just too silly.)
    Of course it is, given the vast majority of Tory voters let alone Tory members are still strongly pro Brexit and the Brexit deal we have. That will continue to be the case for at least a generation
    You live in a world of make believe

I am in favour of brexit but want a deal that draws the UK - EU closer together especially on trade
    You are a Remain voter who voted for Blair and has never been a great fan of Boris.

That rather proves my point, you are hardly typical of most current Tory voters and Tory members
    Mate, you are a fan of Franco. I think G is more in tune with Conservative voters than you are.
    The average Tory member is probably more a fan of Franco than the EU now.

I never said I was a fan of his anyway, just he did keep Spain together

No. Just no.
    He makes the most extraordinary comments with absolutely no evidence
    I'd stick him on your list of people to read about. I make him one of the last 3 Dictators in Western Europe - Greece, Portugal, Spain all went in the mid-1970s.. I've left out Albania.

Won a bloody civil war in the late 1930s, with a leftist volunteer International Brigade opposition forces with many feel was heroic. 50k volunteers. 15k died. Echoes of Ukraine in some respects.

To approach the Spanish Civil War, I don't know who to advise you to read - except to approach it perhaps look out some of the reporting from Martha Gellhorn (I have no idea where to find it - New Yorker archives?) or read For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

Others will know far more than me on that, and I would welcome recommendations myself.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Please, everyone, stop talking about how bad fascists are, it seems to upset Alanbrooke because reasons.
    Alanbrooke makes a perfectly reasonable point. In the great league table of fucking rabid genocidal nutters Stalin wins hands down against all comers. Yet there is a faction of the left that seems to hate having this pointed out. Your reaction would seem to indicate you are part of this faction.

Of course that doesn't for a second excuse the right wing fucking rabid genocidal nutters but we still live in a world where it is acceptable to display the Hammer and Sickle but not the Swastika when both should be equally offensive.
    Why are you all silent on Emperor Hirohito's forces massacring 14 million people in China and Asia more widely. I've always suspected this place to be a hotbed of Sinophobic fascists, and I guess that's now confirmed.
    They are struggling for supreme control with the Whataboutists.

Dunno who the ultimate winner will be, but I do know I am a loser.
    I've never seen you condemn the rape of the Sabine, nor the selling of the Carthaginians into slavery, so I'm going to assume that you enthusiastically endorse Rome's actions.
  • Options
    So the Belgian leak has Macron slightly ahead of Rd 1 2017, let's see if that's borne out once departements start to declare.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    #Macron (27,5%) reprend la tête, talonné par #LePen (24%), dans un nouveau sondage !
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Hirohito and the boys were slackers - the War of the Triple Alliance is believed to have killed 80%+of the male 16+ population of Paraguay. And half the women.

I have always suspected PB of being a hotbed of Brazilian Imperialism....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Hmmm.

How many of us were happy going to Spain on holiday whilst it was run by Franco? How many of us would be happy going to Russia now? Should it matter?

I'm, as Zsa-Zsa Gabor may have said to the end of her days, too young to have had the option.
    I did go to Spain when Franco was in power, but was still in nappies at the time, so have an excuse. I greatly enjoyed the 2018 World Cup and am keen to see more of Russia. It has long been on my list to do the Trans-Siberian, but that have to put that off for a few years.

Wife and I were last year planning the Trans-Siberian for next summer. Obviously not now, and not while Putin is alive.

That was on the list too, probably for the recently-announced F1 race there.

That’s not to be, either.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,945
    Roussel doesn't look like he has much of a crowd.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Better numbers for Macron now.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Admit it, you just can't stand seeing those left wing icons being compared to the fascists.

Did Hirohito actually have much influence? Or was he just a mascot. I don't know, and have never read about his personal life and views.

I know the story of him stopping it at the end, and that he was in a military-nationalistic bubble. But not very much more.
  • Options
    Macron, it seems.

28.1 vs 23.3.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited April 2022
    French results (BFM):

Macron: 28.5%
    Le Pen: 24.2%
    Melenchon: 20.2%
    Zemmour: 7.1%
    Pecresse: 5.1%
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,892
    Looks like some Pécresse voters jumped ship early given her dismal projection of 5% and helped Macron .
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

No, to turn serious for a moment, I'm all in favour of repeating the truth about Stalin's crimes. Not a few months ago I was recommending a film ("Mr Jones") about the holodomor.
    But it's a bit silly to essentially accuse people of ignoring Stalin's crimes when it does get talked about. It's not like the tenor of the conversation had been about listing all the shitbags and unaccountably Stalin was missing. Then, Alanbrooke's contribution would have been necessary instead of silly. It was a brief comparison of a few fascist and subfascists of 20th century Europe. It was absolutely ok that we didn't digress into a global survey of genocidal maniacs.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited April 2022
    Sandpit said:

BigRich said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    ·
    2h
    ⚡️ Putin, Lukashenko to meet in Russian Far East on April 12.

The two dictators will discuss the war in Ukraine at Vostochny Cosmodrome in the Russian Far East.

Russian state-controlled media reported that there will be a press conference after the meeting.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1513160129272762377

===

Why do they need to meet in the far east?

Yes, it does seem strange, I'm guessing its Putin Reminding his puppet, that he his subordinate by saying I what to see you but you need to come to where ever I happen to be to see me.
    Vosnotchy is c.6,500 km from Moscow. Lukachenko has a ten-hour flight to meet Putin. We sometimes forget the scale of Russia.
    The same ratio to a normal state trip as Putin's table to a normal dining table. Also, I wonder if his plane will successfully make the return journey?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited April 2022
    So much for the LIbre leaks - looks pretty safe for Macron unless something goes horribly wrong in the next two weeks. Melanchon's result is above expectations - he got most of the left in the end.
  • Options
    Macron's basically got Les Republican vote already.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    MattW said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Rishi Sunak is about to be overtaken by Tom Tugendhat for second place in the next Tory leader stakes on BE.

Rather ridiculous given Tugendhat is a Remainer unlike Sunak and not even in the Cabinet.

Wallace should be in the top 3 to succeed Boris alongside Truss and Sunak, not Tugendhat
    Is the Leaver/Remainer thing still a dynamic though? I get the impression that the Tories are now seeing Brexit as something of an embarrassment best forgotten about. (The last strained attempt to make a virtue out of it was the stuff with Rees-Mogg and The Sun but I doubt there'll be any repetition of that - just too silly.)
    Of course it is, given the vast majority of Tory voters let alone Tory members are still strongly pro Brexit and the Brexit deal we have. That will continue to be the case for at least a generation

I am in favour of brexit but want a deal that draws the UK - EU closer together especially on trade
    You are a Remain voter who voted for Blair and has never been a great fan of Boris.

That rather proves my point, you are hardly typical of most current Tory voters and Tory members
    Mate, you are a fan of Franco. I think G is more in tune with Conservative voters than you are.

No. Just no.
    I'd stick him on your list of people to read about. I make him one of the last 3 Dictators in Western Europe - Greece, Portugal, Spain all went in the mid-1970s.. I've left out Albania.

Won a bloody civil war in the late 1930s, with a leftist volunteer International Brigade opposition forces with many feel was heroic. 50k volunteers. 15k died. Echoes of Ukraine in some respects.

To approach the Spanish Civil War, I don't know who to advise you to read - except to approach it perhaps look out some of the reporting from Martha Gellhorn (I have no idea where to find it - New Yorker archives?) or read For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

Others will know far more than me on that, and I would welcome recommendations myself.
    Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell is very good. The infighting between Republican factions shows why they failed. It is also key to understanding how Orwells views of Stalin evolved.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

No, to turn serious for a moment, I'm all in favour of repeating the truth about Stalin's crimes. Not a few months ago I was recommending a film ("Mr Jones") about the holodomor.
    But it's a bit silly to essentially accuse people of ignoring Stalin's crimes when it does get talked about. It's not like the tenor of the conversation had been about listing all the shitbags and unaccountably Stalin was missing. Then, Alanbrooke's contribution would have been necessary instead of silly. It was a brief comparison of a few fascist and subfascists of 20th century Europe. It was absolutely ok that we didn't digress into a global survey of genocidal maniacs.
    LOL, we have a new posting arbiter
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084
    edited April 2022
    Projection of Macron 28.6%, Le Pen 24.4%, Melenchon 20%, Zemmour 7%, Pecresse 5%, Jadot 5% then from Ifop.

Largely as final polls predicted Macron and Le Pen head to the runoff, maybe a little higher for Melenchon and a little lower for Pecresse
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1513215861716398086?s=20&t=xwJkkIQdxvukYmwClxDJOA
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

I've never seen you condemn the rape of the Sabine, nor the selling of the Carthaginians into slavery, so I'm going to assume that you enthusiastically endorse Rome's actions.
    Sabine women thang was an abduction, not a rape at all
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    edited April 2022

I’ve found a problem with the east coast in the spring. It’s really hard to find somewhere sunny in the evening for a beer, and it gets bloody chilly in the shade. I’ve managed to find a place on the edge of the town square where I’ve got the last glimmer of sunshine coming down the street. When that goes I’ll need my coat and scarf on!

Blanchehenge 🙂
  • Options

#Macron (27,5%) reprend la tête, talonné par #LePen (24%), dans un nouveau sondage !

Macron 28.1% and Le Pen 23.3% in the exit poll on BBC.

Better than last time, and better than most polls.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

LOL, we have a new posting arbiter
    Yes, there was a vote and everything. I'm as shocked as you are but democracy must prevail.
  • Options
    Well that’s a healthy lead for Macron and a healthy second for Le Pen.

These flash results are usually very accurate, so lay Melenchon to advance.
  • Options
    Got £97 on the Macron-Le Pen-Melenchon tricast @ 1.27 before Smarkets suspension.
    Looks reasonably safe
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

Projection of Macron 28.6%, Le Pen 24.4%, Melenchon 20%, Zemmour 7%, Pecresse 5%, Jadot 5% then from Ifop.

Largely as final polls predicted Macron and Le Pen head to the runoff, maybe a little higher for Melenchon and a little lower for Pecresse
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1513215861716398086?s=20&t=xwJkkIQdxvukYmwClxDJOA

51.4% for the more extreme candidates.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

I agree with you on that, @Farooq .

This may be a hinge point for the next generation, and it is important to get it as right as we can.

There's too much of a habit to treat wars as a game - especially the more distant they are, rather than something very very serious.

Perhaps we need to rediscover an 18C concept of Europe in our heads? I'd say our more Eastern (Germany, Poland, Hungary etc) friends will have a more realistic concept of that than we do.

(Just speculating)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    HYUFD said:

I fear you are just projecting, HYUFD!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Interesting that Melancon went from around 11% a month ago to get 20%.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Hirohito and the boys were slackers - the War of the Triple Alliance is believed to have killed 80%+of the male 16+ population of Paraguay. And half the women.

Guilty as charged. God I hate those Paraguayans.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Where ?
  • Options
    Just read on the Beeb Masters live feed that Scottie Scheffler is a big fan of the US The Office.

I guess when the very annoying US golf fans shout “GET IN THE HOLE!”, he’ll reply “THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!”
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Where ?
    Misunderstood your question.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

I see that we get the blame for it. :neutral:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War#Theories_about_British_influence_on_the_outbreak_of_war
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Sabine women thang was an abduction, not a rape at all
    Even the Metropolitan Police would say it was rape - as well as abduction.
  • Options
    As I am not 'au fait' with the French procedures is Macron safe or does Le Pen have a chance and if so a realistic one ?
  • Options
    tres mal... humiliation....

Dreadful result for Pecresse.
  • Options

As I am not 'au fait' with the French procedures is Macron safe or does Le Pen have a chance and if so a realistic one ?

Hard to say - it depends who the 45% who didn't vote for either of them breaks for in the second round. And turnout.

The guesstimate is that Macron will hold his lead. We hope.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Maybe not 'safe', but this first-round results suggests Macron should win with a reasonable margin.
  • Options

Those two now (almost certainly) advance to a second round of voting in a fortnight’s time.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,302
    edited April 2022
    So Macron has done better than last time, when he went on to win a thumping 2:1 victory.

As you were.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Key data point for me is Le Pen + Zemmour. Looks like 30%-31%, which is a low base for her to start R2 from.

Yep.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    tlg86 said:

Interesting that Melancon went from around 11% a month ago to get 20%.

The two leading parties of France could not muster 10% between them.

Utterly incredible.
  • Options

Top 2 go forward to the next round, so I'd be amazed if Macron doesn't finish at least in 2nd.
    Terrible for Macron as he cannot now finish in a higher position than he did in 2017.
    Wonderful for Le Pen who cannot now finish in a lower position than she did in 2017.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

I see that we get the blame for it. :neutral:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War#Theories_about_British_influence_on_the_outbreak_of_war
    Only if you believe conspiracy theorists who forget minor stuff like evidence.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Foxy said:

Macron 28.1% and Le Pen 23.3% in the exit poll on BBC.

Better than last time, and better than most polls.
    Safe as houses.
  • Options

Hard to say - it depends who the 45% who didn't vote for either of them breaks for in the second round. And turnout.

The guesstimate is that Macron will hold his lead. We hope.
    Hmm, I have a £650 green on Le Pen, at an average of 14.5. Maybe time to lay her a bit and go all green.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

But it's a bit silly to essentially accuse people of ignoring Stalin's crimes when it does get talked about. .
    It does, but he and his faction are still, comparitively speaking, oddly accepted by some. Same with Mao. But as you say the references were not meant as a definitive list.

• Options
    Unless there's another revolution...

Night, all.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656
    Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

He also forget Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, Mark Zuckerberg and Chairman Mao.
    Somehow Jimmy Carter never gets a look in
    Too right. All those folk with peanut allergy he's done in over the years.
  • Options

Le Pen still has a chance , much depends on how the left vote transfers . Macron has to put out an olive branch to those voters but today’s projections so far are better than he could have hoped for and suggest there was already some fear of Le Pen amongst voters .

• Options
    edited April 2022

French results (BFM):

Macron: 28.5%
    Le Pen: 24.2%
    Melenchon: 20.2%
    Zemmour: 7.1%
    Pecresse: 5.1%

Very consistent from Melenchon on last time. Are The Republicans going the say of the Socialist Party?

Though as I recall Le Pen's mob essentially get shut out in the assembly elections never mind her personal performance (given you only need to get to the low 20s to get into second place).
  • Options
    This thread has had its grain stolen by the Red Army

and nobody is talking about it

• Options

Nouvelle Thread

• Options
    Socialist candidate Hidalgo, who is projected to get just 2%, first candidate to endorse Macron for the runoff

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1513219450606137346?s=20&t=xwJkkIQdxvukYmwClxDJOA
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Le Pen still has a chance ,

She really doesn't
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Hmmm.

I'm not sure that excuses you @Foxy
    At what age did you stop (assuming you have stopped) wearing nappies?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454
    Macron looks like stonking value at 1.22 to me.

I would have got 1.25 but my bank frigging 2-ID'ed me so it cost me a minute and I lost the price.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    There is a new thred, but I can post 'first' in it
  • Options
    Heathener said:

So Macron has done better than last time, when he went on to win a thumping 2:1 victory.

As you were.

Le Pen's vote also 3% up on the 21% she got in the 2017 first round though.

Where Melenchon's voters go will be decisive, Macron is favourite but still a long way to go
  • Options
    Houston nous avons une probleme
  • Options
    Heathener said:

nico679 said:

She really doesn't
    After Brexit and Trump it would be premature to write off her chances but today’s projections so far are encouraging for Macron.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nouveau fil ne marche pas
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

No. Just no.

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell is very good. The infighting between Republican factions shows why they failed. It is also key to understanding how Orwells views of Stalin evolved.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Civil-War-Hugh-Thomas/dp/0141011610/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=spanish+civil+war&qid=1649614568&sr=8-3 is generally considered to be the most balanced book - Thomas was at different times Labour, Conservative and Liberal, but he tried to represent the war fairly, though somewhat unhelpfully to the International Brigade. Orwell had a specific bias to the POUM (Trotskyists) who had a long feud with the Stalinist communists - neither side were exactly innocent and they were both idiots, as the feud facilitated Franco's victory. That said, there are lots of books that celebrate the International Brigade, which mobilised a whole generation of young leftists to die for the Popular Front.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Hmmm.

It was a while back, and still some time before I need them again 😇
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Key data point for me is Le Pen + Zemmour. Looks like 30%-31%, which is a low base for her to start R2 from.

On the other hand Macron + Les Republicains + Le Parti Socialiste is down from 50% after the first round in 2017 to 35-36% so he has a lower base than last time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

philiph said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Hmmm.

It was a while back, and still some time before I need them again 😇
    Not in Extinction Rebellion, then.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I tried as well!
  • Options

BigRich said:

I tried as well!
    It's a sword in the stone situation, they who can post shall be crowned.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Nouvelle Fred is kaput say Del Boy
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    On these numbers, can we infer much about the parliamentary elections? Strong performance for FN?
  • Options
    We'll be able to post in the new thread when we have condemned all the world's dictators in order of severity.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Is there an election night programme stream available in the UK?
  • Options

Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

No. Just no.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Civil-War-Hugh-Thomas/dp/0141011610/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=spanish+civil+war&qid=1649614568&sr=8-3 is generally considered to be the most balanced book - Thomas was at different times Labour, Conservative and Liberal, but he tried to represent the war fairly, though somewhat unhelpfully to the International Brigade. Orwell had a specific bias to the POUM (Trotskyists) who had a long feud with the Stalinist communists - neither side were exactly innocent and they were both idiots, as the feud facilitated Franco's victory. That said, there are lots of books that celebrate the International Brigade, which mobilised a whole generation of young leftists to die for the Popular Front.
    Yes, Orwell writes from his own perspective, but really catches the flavour of the Revolutionaries on the Republicans side. I read Hugh Thomas some years ago, but found it an exhaustive but rather dull account.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Mods, when you try to post in new thread, it's coming up with:

Data too long for column 'Name' at row 1|Gdn_Database|Query|insert `GDN_Discussion` (`InsertUserID`, `DateInserted`, `DateUpdated`, `CategoryID`, `ForeignID`, `Type`, `Name`, `Body`, `Format`, `Attributes`) values (:InsertUserID, :DateInserted, :DateUpdated, :CategoryID, :ForeignID, :Type, :Name, :Body, :Format, :Attributes)
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Le Pen still has a chance , much depends on how the left vote transfers . Macron has to put out an olive branch to those voters but today’s projections so far are better than he could have hoped for and suggest there was already some fear of Le Pen amongst voters .

Thank you
  • Options

BigRich said:

I tried as well!
    But I tried first....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is there an election night programme stream available in the UK?

BBC news has one. Thats what the licence fee gives us minority interests!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477

BigRich said:

I tried as well!
    But I tried first....
    I was first.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737

I've been expecting Macron to get 58-60% in the runoff but massive abstentionism among Melenchon supporters(and some switching to Le Pen) could still push it down to 55-45 or closer?
  • Options
    biggles said:

On these numbers, can we infer much about the parliamentary elections? Strong performance for FN?

It's a little better than last time but not much, and it didn't help them then. The key is presumably whether, this time, RN is more transfer friendly than FN, despite being the same party?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

It's a little better than last time but not much, and it didn't help them then. The key is presumably whether, this time, RN is more transfer friendly than FN, despite being the same party?
    That feels right. I’m also assuming human nature means that if you feel “forced” to vote for Macron you’re going to give his lot a kicking in Parliament.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Does anyone have that chart of who went where between the 2 rounds last time?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

We'll be able to post in the new thread when we have condemned all the world's dictators in order of severity.

I call Emomali Rahmon.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nico679 said:

Heathener said:

nico679 said:

She really doesn't
    After Brexit and Trump it would be premature to write off her chances but today’s projections so far are encouraging for Macron.
    After Brexit and Trump Le Pen lost by a stonking amount to Macron.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Last time about 3 million people voted 'blanc' in the second round and turnout also dropped between the two rounds. She's probably less toxic than in 2017 so that effect may be bigger.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

Hmmm.

That was on the list too, probably for the recently-announced F1 race there.

That’s not to be, either.
    I had 3 weeks in Russia planned for this September. Will go to Ukraine if at all possible though.
  • Options
    Ministry map isn't live, AFP seems to be test data :( so this Guardian live map is best one I've found so far, shows how many communes counted in each department:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2022/apr/10/french-election-2020-projected-results-and-latest-results
  • Options
    Oryx Ukraine now has 2,744 confirmed Russian losses, of which 466 are tanks.
  • Options
    Marine Le Pen thanks the French people for putting her into the second round against "the outgoing President".
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

I call Emomali Rahmon.
    I nominate President Macias of Equatorial Guinea, a contemporary of Pol Pot who killed a similar proportion of his own people.
  • Options
    Good projection for Macron and Le Pen. Macron up 4% on what he got in the 2017 first round and Le Pen up 2 or 3% on what she got in the first round last time.

Reasonably good result for Melenchon too who is projected to be up slightly too on what he got last time and his supporters will likely now determine who wins the Presidency in the runoff.

Terrible projection for Pecresse, down 15% on what Fillon got in 2017 when he was Les Republicains candidate. Poor result for Hidalgo too who is also down 4% on what the Socialist party's 2017 candidate Hamon got.

OK result for Zemmour in that he beat Pecresse but he would have hoped for a higher voteshare. Most of his supporters will now probably switch to Le Pen in the runoff
  • Options
    Alistair said:

nico679 said:

Heathener said:

nico679 said:

She really doesn't
    After Brexit and Trump Le Pen lost by a stonking amount to Macron.
    On the latest runoff polls however she is polling about the same as Trump got in 2020 and 2016, maybe slightly more
This discussion has been closed.