Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will Macron prove to be quasi effective against Le Pen today? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Rishi Sunak is about to be overtaken by Tom Tugendhat for second place in the next Tory leader stakes on BE.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234

Rather ridiculous given Tugendhat is a Remainer unlike Sunak and not even in the Cabinet.

Wallace should be in the top 3 to succeed Boris alongside Truss and Sunak, not Tugendhat
    Is the Leaver/Remainer thing still a dynamic though? I get the impression that the Tories are now seeing Brexit as something of an embarrassment best forgotten about. (The last strained attempt to make a virtue out of it was the stuff with Rees-Mogg and The Sun but I doubt there'll be any repetition of that - just too silly.)
    Of course it is, given the vast majority of Tory voters let alone Tory members are still strongly pro Brexit and the Brexit deal we have. That will continue to be the case for at least a generation
    The Boris loyalists will still cling to Brexit as their man is inexorably associated with it. But when he's gone I suspect the Tories will start regarding Brexit as something akin to the Poll Tax - an aberration, something to do with early senility and a regime that had lost its way.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    Stodge warned us, Eclair Surf has succumbed to yesterdays injury.😢
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Wow. I had not realized how horrible Everton's line up of opponents until the end of the season. Leicester twice, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Hard to see how they get the points to stay up.
  • Options

It is a terrible toll to lose 4 horses and to be honest whipping a horse is barbaric
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Have had no phone reception for the last couple of hours which was a little scary. Luckily my phone map continued showing my position and the route most of the way.

I stopped for my pistachio nut and beer lunch by a little river called Rec De Sant Miquel. More San Miguel was flowing than Sant Miquel; I didn’t need the bridge!

Also just realised I’m not going to make it to the French border today. There are no rooms I can find in Portbou, or in Cerbère just over the border, so I’ve got a room in Colera instead tonight and will head for Banyuls-sur-mer in France tomorrow.

Are you doing this entirely as you go? Ie carrying all your luggage as you hike?

That’s impressive, if so. Must be quite a rucksack

I’d love to do a long long walking tour (I love hiking, I love that pleasurable exhaustion at the end of the day, the much earned dinner, the deep deep sleep) what puts me off is lugging all my stuff

I know holiday companies will do it all for you but it feels a bit like cheating
    Everything is in my rucksack, which was small enough to be Ryanair hand luggage. All I’m carrying is enough underwear and t-shirts for a week, a couple of shirts and my washbag. I’ve got a (vey classy Fortnum & Mason) shopping bag to carry my daily beer and lunch and my phone battery pack. I’ve managed to attach my jacket to my rucksack, which is handy as it won’t fit inside. I expect my one pair of jeans will be able to walk home on their own!
    Cool

Modern down jackets are brilliant for these reasons. They keep you warm in the cold and dry in the wet, yet they are featherlight, and you can squash them into a daypack if needs be

You do need a guaranteed run of good weather tho. If you get real cold, and hard rain, then you need layers and layers and that means actual proper luggage which is a pain to carry

My problem would be books. I love to read real books, especially if they relate to where I am. But they are heavy

Izmir has been a revelation. What made me hate it at first is the same reason it is brilliant. Off puttingly ugly so no one bothers, yet actually fascinating, ridiculously cheap (5 star hotel: £60), surrounded by wild coast and superb history and with great public transport. Also, stuffed mussels. And 3 hour direct flights from Luton

I am going to return and do a piece for the Knappers’ Gazette
    I wouldn't recommend a down jacket for any serious trekking. Useful for a stroll in a London park in December perhaps.

As for books, invest in an audiobook subscription service. You can listen while you walk if you want. It makes it possible to have hundreds of books with you for no extra weight. It's obviously not as good as a physical book in some respects, but extremely convenient for travel.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Have had no phone reception for the last couple of hours which was a little scary. Luckily my phone map continued showing my position and the route most of the way.

I stopped for my pistachio nut and beer lunch by a little river called Rec De Sant Miquel. More San Miguel was flowing than Sant Miquel; I didn’t need the bridge!

Also just realised I’m not going to make it to the French border today. There are no rooms I can find in Portbou, or in Cerbère just over the border, so I’ve got a room in Colera instead tonight and will head for Banyuls-sur-mer in France tomorrow.

Are you doing this entirely as you go? Ie carrying all your luggage as you hike?

I’d love to do a long long walking tour (I love hiking, I love that pleasurable exhaustion at the end of the day, the much earned dinner, the deep deep sleep) what puts me off is lugging all my stuff

I know holiday companies will do it all for you but it feels a bit like cheating
    Everything is in my rucksack, which was small enough to be Ryanair hand luggage. All I’m carrying is enough underwear and t-shirts for a week, a couple of shirts and my washbag. I’ve got a (vey classy Fortnum & Mason) shopping bag to carry my daily beer and lunch and my phone battery pack. I’ve managed to attach my jacket to my rucksack, which is handy as it won’t fit inside. I expect my one pair of jeans will be able to walk home on their own!
    Cool

Modern down jackets are brilliant for these reasons. They keep you warm in the cold and dry in the wet, yet they are featherlight, and you can squash them into a daypack if needs be

You do need a guaranteed run of good weather tho. If you get real cold, and hard rain, then you need layers and layers and that means actual proper luggage which is a pain to carry

My problem would be books. I love to read real books, especially if they relate to where I am. But they are heavy

Izmir has been a revelation. What made me hate it at first is the same reason it is brilliant. Off puttingly ugly so no one bothers, yet actually fascinating, ridiculously cheap (5 star hotel: £60), surrounded by wild coast and superb history and with great public transport. Also, stuffed mussels. And 3 hour direct flights from Luton

Let's hope some other publication does not snipe your piece under a different name.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Wow. I had not realized how horrible Everton's line up of opponents until the end of the season. Leicester twice, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Hard to see how they get the points to stay up.

They need to play united every week !!!!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,383
    nico679 said:

The right wing press will of course love a Le Pen win just because she’s anti EU but a win for her would be terrible for the UK and the EU .

Bad for the EU but in what way terrible for the UK?

Macron is already seriously hostile. I doubt Le Pen would be worse

And a weakened, bewildered EU is in our favour

There is the Putin factor, however, if you are referring to that then fair enough
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Rishi Sunak is about to be overtaken by Tom Tugendhat for second place in the next Tory leader stakes on BE.

Rather ridiculous given Tugendhat is a Remainer unlike Sunak and not even in the Cabinet.

Wallace should be in the top 3 to succeed Boris alongside Truss and Sunak, not Tugendhat
    Is the Leaver/Remainer thing still a dynamic though? I get the impression that the Tories are now seeing Brexit as something of an embarrassment best forgotten about. (The last strained attempt to make a virtue out of it was the stuff with Rees-Mogg and The Sun but I doubt there'll be any repetition of that - just too silly.)
    Of course it is, given the vast majority of Tory voters let alone Tory members are still strongly pro Brexit and the Brexit deal we have. That will continue to be the case for at least a generation
    The Boris loyalists will still cling to Brexit as their man is inexorably associated with it. But when he's gone I suspect the Tories will start regarding Brexit as something akin to the Poll Tax - an aberration, something to do with early senility and a regime that had lost its way.
    I doubt it, remember most Tory voters voted for Brexit even when Cameron was PM. Now some 2015 Tory Remain voters have gone Labour or LD and 2015 UKIP voters have mainly gone Tory, the Tory vote and membership is even more pro Brexit. Boris or no Boris.

A Labour government might align the UK closer to the EEA again and in time future generations of Tories might accept that but this generation of Tories won't
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited April 2022
    nico679 said:

The right wing press will of course love a Le Pen win just because she’s anti EU but a win for her would be terrible for the UK and the EU .

I think a Melenchon win would be worse for EU unity because of his Germanophobic streak. He wrote a whole book about the evils of German domination via the EU.

The Franco-German motor is looking clapped out whoever wins.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Read this interview with Karaganov (reliable bellwether of 🇷🇺ruling elite majority consensus).

If afterwards you still harbor any illusions about sustainable negotiated settlement with Putin's Kremlin on European security order read it again. And again.

https://twitter.com/thorstenbenner/status/1513039187527806977

As he says, war with West looks more inevitable as each day goes by.

Hope to God he is wrong.
    Indeed. Anyone with eyes and honest evidence knows that war with the West is not just unwinnable for Russia, but could only end in rout for them, unless:

1. The Putinists are very confident that they can mobilize 5th columns to great effect, or they can bring in China on their side (no other ally would make a significant difference), OR
    2. It goes nuclear.
    Given the shocking state of most Russian military kit, how likely are the Russians not to have skimped on nuclear weapon maintenance?
    I think you made a similar point before and it's a very fair one but not desperately comforting.

Say 90% of their warheads don't work - that still leaves a totally trashed world in the event of them being fired. Especially since the Western retaliation would presumably have to be based on assumption Russian nukes work.
    And the Chinese retaliation if they cannot accurately tell where incoming missiles are aimed.
    Unless Putin fires a nuclear missile at a NATO nation there will be no NATO nuclear weapons fired at Russia and even then only a NATO nuclear response is guaranteed if France, the USA or UK are hit.

China is on the other side of the world, even if closer to Russia now.
    You keep writing this. Do you think that the more times you write that NATO will only retaliate a strike on a NATO member the truer it becomes.

Were Russia to strike Finland or Sweden, I have no doubt the narrative changes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

You live in a world of make believe

I am in favour of brexit but want a deal that draws the UK - EU closer together especially on trade
    You are a Remain voter who voted for Blair and has never been a great fan of Boris.

That rather proves my point, you are hardly typical of most current Tory voters and Tory members
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 2022
    Most recommended comment in the ft;

“Thinned skinned Rishi is clearly angry that information that it was clearly in the public interest to be released has come into the public domain.

Rather than ruefully and genuinely admit he and his wife should have done things differently he demands that the state engages in a witch hunt. Everyone else is to blame but the pair of them I guess.

Shows the stature of the man really. He's proved himself to be unfit for high office.”

https://www.ft.com/content/4c225e8d-edcf-4e09-a69f-10044837ed34#comments-anchor

And the DM highest rated comments are terrible for Rishi, too;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10704465/Rishi-orders-hunt-Red-Throat-leaker-wifes-non-dom-tax-status.html

When you unite the FT and the DM readers against you, you’ve got a serious problem.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    kjh said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I do the same but on a bike, off road. Organise myself and it is wonderful for all the reasons you mention. I prefer the bike to walking as (in my opinion) you see more in particular wildlife as you tend to catch it by surprise.

I have done SW Coast of France, Normandy and Brittany and would have done Loire this spring if I hadn't broken my legs.
    I've noticed that some wildlife is unfazed by bikes even if they see you. I've managed to get close to rabbits on the road side, and birds of prey on fence posts on bike, and just stop and look at them for a while. They can see you but they just don't seem to care.
    It doesn't seem to work with deer; they just scarper anyway. And weirdly cows seem to get more freaked out by bikes than if you're on foot.
    Several times I have had something travel next to me. The most impressive was a barn owl who flew close and parallel to me for a bit.
    For me it was a C130 parallel to and slightly below me on (I think) Loch Garry, A87 anyway. Couldn't keep up on a Ducati 748!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Read this interview with Karaganov (reliable bellwether of 🇷🇺ruling elite majority consensus).

If afterwards you still harbor any illusions about sustainable negotiated settlement with Putin's Kremlin on European security order read it again. And again.

Hope to God he is wrong.
    Indeed. Anyone with eyes and honest evidence knows that war with the West is not just unwinnable for Russia, but could only end in rout for them, unless:

1. The Putinists are very confident that they can mobilize 5th columns to great effect, or they can bring in China on their side (no other ally would make a significant difference), OR
    2. It goes nuclear.
    Given the shocking state of most Russian military kit, how likely are the Russians not to have skimped on nuclear weapon maintenance?
    I think you made a similar point before and it's a very fair one but not desperately comforting.

Say 90% of their warheads don't work - that still leaves a totally trashed world in the event of them being fired. Especially since the Western retaliation would presumably have to be based on assumption Russian nukes work.
    And the Chinese retaliation if they cannot accurately tell where incoming missiles are aimed.
    Unless Putin fires a nuclear missile at a NATO nation there will be no NATO nuclear weapons fired at Russia and even then only a NATO nuclear response is guaranteed if France, the USA or UK are hit.

You keep writing this. Do you think that the more times you write that NATO will only retaliate a strike on a NATO member the truer it becomes.

Even then NATO would not nuke Russia, at most it would be an airstrike and even then not guaranteed as neither are in NATO so it could just be even tighter sanctions on Russia
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I am in favour of brexit but want a deal that draws the UK - EU closer together especially on trade
    You are a Remain voter who voted for Blair and has never been a great fan of Boris.

That rather proves my point, you are hardly typical of most current Tory voters and Tory members
    Mate, you are a fan of Franco. I think G is more in tune with Conservative voters than you are.
  • Options

I know Sunday is your PB day of rest HY, but have you noticed the Aussie election called.

Has your man Morrison waited till the last possible moment?

The polls have turn back towards the government in April.

Plus Morrison still leads on preferred PM, I remain of the view he will be narrowly re elected
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

It is a terrible toll to lose 4 horses and to be honest whipping a horse is barbaric
    They aren't whipping they are scrubbing (no contact) unless they want to be disqualified.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Mate, you are a fan of Franco. I think G is more in tune with Conservative voters than you are.
    I suspect that may be wishful thinking. At least as far as the most influential voters, the party members, are concerned.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The average Tory member is probably more a fan of Franco than the EU now.

I never said I was a fan of his anyway, just he did keep Spain together
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    ping said:

“Thinned skinned Rishi is clearly angry that information that it was clearly in the public interest to be released has come into the public domain.

Rather than ruefully and genuinely admit he and his wife should have done things differently he demands that the state engages in a witch hunt. Everyone else is to blame but the pair of them I guess.

Shows the stature of the man really. He's proved himself to be unfit for high office.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10704465/Rishi-orders-hunt-Red-Throat-leaker-wifes-non-dom-tax-status.html

When you unite the FT and the DM readers against you, you’ve got a serious problem.

DT's Simon Heffer also saying that Sunak clearly does not understand politics.

• Options
    ping said:

That is what it seems to come down to. 'How dare you?' seems to be his response
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I doubt it, remember most Tory voters voted for Brexit even when Cameron was PM. Now some 2015 Tory Remain voters have gone Labour or LD and 2015 UKIP voters have mainly gone Tory, the Tory vote and membership is even more pro Brexit. Boris or no Boris.

A Labour government might align the UK closer to the EEA again and in time future generations of Tories might accept that but this generation of Tories won't
    But Brexit was just a hazy fantasy when Cameron was leader. In the cold, harsh light of day are any Tories still tingly about it? I suspect most couldn't care less about having a Remainer leader now and might even find it therapeutic - a kind of release.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I am certainly not on the same page as yourself and more likely to be in tune with conservatives voters
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    If Le Pen wins, could London see a big influx of French people who strongly dislike her?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I know Sunday is your PB day of rest HY, but have you noticed the Aussie election called.

Plus Morrison still leads on preferred PM, I remain of the view he will be narrowly re elected
    Since Howard no PM has lasted longer than Morrison has managed already at not even 4 years, and that was a surprise. He will have done very well if he can hold on again.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,383
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cool

I wouldn't recommend a down jacket for any serious trekking. Useful for a stroll in a London park in December perhaps.

As for books, invest in an audiobook subscription service. You can listen while you walk if you want. It makes it possible to have hundreds of books with you for no extra weight. It's obviously not as good as a physical book in some respects, but extremely convenient for travel.
    Down jackets are fine if you don’t mind them being a bit disposable. Ie you might shred one after a few trips. But they do the job

I love Berghaus long sleeve zip up tops as layering. Easy to wash, perfect for adventures, smart enough to get away with at a bar (at a pinch) yet robust enough for real experiences

Yet it seems they have discontinued them! Madness
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You mean you hope he will be reelected
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If Le Pen wins, could London see a big influx of French people who strongly dislike her?

How common is it for people to follow through on 'If X wins I'll move' type comments? I suspect not high, and there would be easier destinations.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I am certainly not on the same page as yourself and more likely to be in tune with conservatives voters
    Is that an autocorrect error for planet?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Any conservative voters who commit heresy against HY are not and never were conservative voters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

If you are not a fan, why are you so confident the average Tory is a fan?

• Options

HYUFD said:

In the 2019 Australian general election the preferred PM polling was more accurate than the 2PP polling
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

That is what it seems to come down to. 'How dare you?' seems to be his response
    Failure to take responsibility seems to be a top-down trait of this Cabinet.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

FPT: On the cost of living theory crisis, the caveat is that the savings ratio was insanely high during lockdown (among Tory income levels, at least), and discretionary spending hasn't rocketed after restrictions eased.

In theory, this means there is a lot of flex in Tory household budgets, which should neuter the problem somewhat.

Problem for Johnson is that people don't really think like that (see Prospect Theory). Also, people on lower incomes have been fucked throughout, so the general consensus that the north is lost is probably right (particularly as they spend more (%) on fuel/energy).

There is a big pot of WFH Southern Savings that the Treasury could go after, but that cohort is the final Tory redoubt. No chance.

Yes, fuel poverty is much more a northern problem than a southern one. You're right to focus on these regional differences.
    My personal campaign is to get better poverty indicators: "After Housing Costs" is useless if live in Ullapool or something, and it costs you £50 to go shopping in Inverness.

Cities are also just great to live in; it's worth paying extra for that (personal view though), especially if it reduces your commute.
    Why would you want to shop in Inverness in the first place.
    I expect most people are just grateful to not be in Ayr
    LOL, smartarse the comedienne thinks they are funny. Given you are so thick you think I am in Ayr says it all.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    I'm puzzled by the the decision to keep non-dom status (controversial) but stop avoiding tax on foreign income in the UK (uncontroversial).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I was a Remainer in 2016, if anything I am on the moderate wing of the Tory membership now in terms of views of the EU.

BigG is also far closer to Starmer Labour or Davey's LDs than the current Tory leadership, just he has not admitted it to himself yet
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

FPT: On the cost of living theory crisis, the caveat is that the savings ratio was insanely high during lockdown (among Tory income levels, at least), and discretionary spending hasn't rocketed after restrictions eased.

In theory, this means there is a lot of flex in Tory household budgets, which should neuter the problem somewhat.

Problem for Johnson is that people don't really think like that (see Prospect Theory). Also, people on lower incomes have been fucked throughout, so the general consensus that the north is lost is probably right (particularly as they spend more (%) on fuel/energy).

There is a big pot of WFH Southern Savings that the Treasury could go after, but that cohort is the final Tory redoubt. No chance.

Yes, fuel poverty is much more a northern problem than a southern one. You're right to focus on these regional differences.
    My personal campaign is to get better poverty indicators: "After Housing Costs" is useless if live in Ullapool or something, and it costs you £50 to go shopping in Inverness.

Cities are also just great to live in; it's worth paying extra for that (personal view though), especially if it reduces your commute.
    LOL, smartarse the comedienne thinks they are funny. Given you are so thick you think I am in Ayr says it all.

Wow, that was a remarkably sensitive response given I was just doing the same thing you did.

Calm down, dear, it was just a joke.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

There’s a Tesco superstore in Ullapool, I’m sure it’ll supply as much flaked Parmesan as anyone could eat.
    Exactly just bollox.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

No. Just no.
    He makes the most extraordinary comments with absolutely no evidence
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Hardy perennial tweets for the next few months.

https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1513138781146210308
    https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1513139541691011073

I’ve watched “normal” Republicans go from saying “Look, everyone knows Trump lost, just let him talk” to saying “Look, everyone knows there was something wrong with the election.”

They never specify what was “wrong”, because all the specific claims have been discredited and rejected by courts. They just hang their hats on the vague sense that if lots of people believe something, it must be at least partly true.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

How common is it for people to follow through on 'If X wins I'll move' type comments? I suspect not high, and there would be easier destinations.
    Very interesting question. Where would nationals of each country prefer to move to if forced to leave their own country?

For me, I have chosen to live in the US. Assuming I'd have to choose somewhere other than either the US or UK, I'd probably chose either Ireland or Western Canada. The Maritimes are just too bleak for my taste, and even in Toronto, the winters are too fierce for me.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

....early senility.....

:neutral:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited April 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD obviously thinks that failing to reconquer Gibraltar is a black mark against Franco.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I do the same but on a bike, off road. Organise myself and it is wonderful for all the reasons you mention. I prefer the bike to walking as (in my opinion) you see more in particular wildlife as you tend to catch it by surprise.

I have done SW Coast of France, Normandy and Brittany and would have done Loire this spring if I hadn't broken my legs.
    I've noticed that some wildlife is unfazed by bikes even if they see you. I've managed to get close to rabbits on the road side, and birds of prey on fence posts on bike, and just stop and look at them for a while. They can see you but they just don't seem to care.
    It doesn't seem to work with deer; they just scarper anyway. And weirdly cows seem to get more freaked out by bikes than if you're on foot.
    Highly unlikely it was the bike that scared the crap out of them

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Uh huh. Are you ok?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,576

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Unicorn alert. Such a deal is not available without FoM. Being in the single market is something you either are, or are not. If the EU allowed a pick and choose position there would have been no Brexit.

• Options

What other 2 died, it was only 2 late this morning.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

One needs to allow for those who were going to move anyway but don't get so much attention because reasons.

Lady Mone famously did it the other way round - closed her business in Scotland and moved even though her side won indyref 1.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I think that those backing Rishi for PM had assumed that he had at least a modicum of political nous. There seem to be surprisingly high numbers of politicians in Westminster who lack even the basics.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,558
    Sunak's mistake is that he believed he was indeed the chap who featured in his own glib, super-slick publicity, and the voters thought he was ace. Did he really think nobody would notice that he was filling up somebody else's Kia? Foolish.

All good politicians know that bad publicity is just around the corner, but Sunak doesn't seem able to cope with it. A fatal flaw - 'how dare you even comment on my wife!' - and stunningly naïve.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

LOL. For eagles and kites, they'll fly off at 100m if you're walking, but you can drive up fairly close in a car before they spook. Same with foxes around us.
  • Options

Sunak's mistake is that he believed he was indeed the chap who featured in his own glib, super-slick publicity, and the voters thought he was ace. Did he really think nobody would notice that he was filling up somebody else's Kia? Foolish.

All good politicians know that bad publicity is just around the corner, but Sunak doesn't seem able to cope with it. A fatal flaw - 'how dare you even comment on my wife!' - and stunningly naïve.

Surprising how long it took. Which indicates a considerable degree of media manipulation both before and after.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,295
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Bad for the EU but in what way terrible for the UK?

Macron is already seriously hostile. I doubt Le Pen would be worse

And a weakened, bewildered EU is in our favour

There is the Putin factor, however, if you are referring to that then fair enough
    A Europe drifting away from social democracy, liberal values and co-operation towards softhead national populism is not my idea of what's good for the UK.

It's a bit like shitting your pants and thinking if others do the same then that improves your prospects.

Which it doesn't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In the 2019 Australian general election the preferred PM polling was more accurate than the 2PP polling
    I am not arguing that - I am saying you want him re-elected
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

....early senility.....

Poor old Stark Raving projecting a bit there one feels.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

I'm puzzled by the the decision to keep non-dom status (controversial) but stop avoiding tax on foreign income in the UK (uncontroversial).

The non-dom status has significant inheritance tax advantages.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Hope to God he is wrong.

2. It goes nuclear.

Even then NATO would not nuke Russia, at most it would be an airstrike and even then not guaranteed as neither are in NATO so it could just be even tighter sanctions on Russia
    Well what is the point of the nuclear deterrent if Russia flattens Stockholm and Helsinki and NATO just shrugs it's shoulders and says "well it's not on our patch, carry on, as you were".
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

....early senility.....

don't think so, I was referring to myself looking over my shoulder...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I was a Remainer in 2016, if anything I am on the moderate wing of the Tory membership now in terms of views of the EU.

BigG is also far closer to Starmer Labour or Davey's LDs than the current Tory leadership, just he has not admitted it to himself yet
    I voted remain also but the idea you are a moderate conservative is for the birds
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Unicorn alert. Such a deal is not available without FoM. Being in the single market is something you either are, or are not. If the EU allowed a pick and choose position there would have been no Brexit.

Norway?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

My pulses quickened yesterday when I heard in semi slumber on the radio that "Boris was facing jailtime".

However ...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525

Some wise old politician (this was decades ago) pointed out that Head Boys often don't make it to the top in politics. If you are used to being promoted by others on the basis of your merits, there is something you don't develop in your temprament- some combination of emollience and sharp elbows- that is really useful for climbing greasy poles. And Head Boy is a funny role- in charge of something nebulous, but actually not in charge of anything since all the authority continues to rest with the adults.

Rishi looks like another victim of that curse.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Hope to God he is wrong.

2. It goes nuclear.

Well what is the point of the nuclear deterrent if Russia flattens Stockholm and Helsinki and NATO just shrugs it's shoulders and says "well it's not on our patch, carry on, as you were".
    We would be in a terrifying situation but I think a similar level of strike would be delivered (game theory tit for tat) probably with a massive set of conventional strikes plus making it clear that a maximum nuclear attack was readied.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

....early senility.....

don't think so, I was referring to myself looking over my shoulder...
    Posting here will keep you young - look at Jack W!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

No. Brexit means Brexit!. No freedom of movement here.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

Wow, that was a remarkably sensitive response given I was just doing the same thing you did.

Pity you do not recognise reciprocity
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Norway?
    Schengen? Mornington Crescent!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With what happened last time, and the polls already giving government better scores, I’d call it a toss up. But a toss up call makes the longer odds you can get the value bet?

Last I looked the best PM was even Steven.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

What other 2 died, it was only 2 late this morning.
    4 in total during the festival

Sorry if I was not clear Malc
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,661

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

No. Just no.
    He makes the most extraordinary comments with absolutely no evidence
    Nobody should admire Franco for any reason. Of course HYUFD talks again of stuff he didn't live thru' (unlike many of us who were around when he was in power and visited Spain), although a quick look at Wikipedia answers the question as to whether he should be admired for anything.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

One needs to allow for those who were going to move anyway but don't get so much attention because reasons.

Lady Mone famously did it the other way round - closed her business in Scotland and moved even though her side won indyref 1.
    Was that not due to the business due to be going under though and seeing rich pickings at Westminster
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

....early senility.....

Odd remark. It's an established piece of Tory folklore that the Poll Tax came about because Maggie had started to go a bit gaga.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I voted remain also but the idea you are a moderate conservative is for the birds
    As all of the moderate conservatives have been purged, HY probably is moderate. I just don't get what motivates people to defend the very things they are against just because their side is doing it...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Hope to God he is wrong.

2. It goes nuclear.

You know the answer to this. The nuclear deterrent is meant to protect those who possess it from nuclear attack. It deters nuclear attack upon those nations, as the would-be attacker knows that in return they will be nuked. Clearly it doesn't deter them from attacking a completely different country.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

I think that those backing Rishi for PM had assumed that he had at least a modicum of political nous. There seem to be surprisingly high numbers of politicians in Westminster who lack even the basics.

Really the problem is that most of his approval rating was based on massive state spending at stable prices. When you raise the finance to pay for the spending and prices start to inflate, people start to hate you, and a marital-fiscal embarrassment turns into a terminal blow.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

I will recognise it if you do :wink:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

....early senility.....

Odd remark. It's an established piece of Tory folklore that the Poll Tax came about because Maggie had started to go a bit gaga.
    It was an ott response. I apologise.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,558

Yes it does, and I think the opposition parties are storing that one up for use shortly. As in: 'What's the advantage of non-dom status for Mrs S? Answer: To avoid the inheritance tax that the rest of us in the UK have to pay'.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

At least HYUFD doesn't pretend unlike you. Why don't you leave him alone?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Hope to God he is wrong.

2. It goes nuclear.

You know the answer to this. The nuclear deterrent is meant to protect those who possess it from nuclear attack. It deters nuclear attack upon those nations, as the would-be attacker knows that in return they will be nuked. Clearly it doesn't deter them from attacking a completely different country.
    That's clearly false, and you demonstrably know nothing about this subject if you think that's true.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Yep. They haven’t quashed this story. Until the Sunaks fully normalise their tax status (at huge cost to themselves - esp re inheritance tax) the knives will be out and he’ll be bought down sooner or later. It’s an untenable position.

Rishi either hasn’t realised this, or intends to put up a stand and die on the hill of tax avoidance. If you’re gonna be a British minister, especially CoftE or PM, you have to be whiter then white on this stuff.

Silly man.
  • Options

TimT said:

They need to play united every week !!!!
    Arsenal are rock solid at the moment 😂
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

....early senility.....

It was an ott response. I apologise.
    No worries!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

I will recognise it if you do :wink:
    I will adjust my tin ear, or should I say my Rishi ear
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Something pretty close was on offer- May's deal looked a lot like a single market in goods without freedom of movement. The price of that was permanent alignment on EU market standards. And the ERG weren't having that.

Barnier's Staircase was all about pick and choose. But also the idea that the choices had consequences. What wasn't negotiable was the idea that seamless access required alignment. And that's a pretty fundamental point to ask the EU to concede on.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Hope to God he is wrong.

2. It goes nuclear.

That's clearly false, and you demonstrably know nothing about this subject if you think that's true.
    Do enlighten me. Or am I expected to take this pathetic riposte complete with split infinitive as the last word on the matter?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Really the problem is that most of his approval rating was based on massive state spending at stable prices. When you raise the finance to pay for the spending and prices start to inflate, people start to hate you, and a marital-fiscal embarrassment turns into a terminal blow.
    That's true but he could have managed the hard decision phase and remained a contender. What I'm referring to is the tax arrangements and also his belated response. Astonishing he didn't see it coming and made defensive adjustments years ago.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971

Some wise old politician (this was decades ago) pointed out that Head Boys often don't make it to the top in politics. If you are used to being promoted by others on the basis of your merits, there is something you don't develop in your temprament- some combination of emollience and sharp elbows- that is really useful for climbing greasy poles. And Head Boy is a funny role- in charge of something nebulous, but actually not in charge of anything since all the authority continues to rest with the adults.

Rishi looks like another victim of that curse.
    Which would be true if he had actually been “head boy” but he wasn’t.
  • Options
    ping said:

Yep. They haven’t quashed this story. Until the Sunaks fully normalise their tax status (at huge cost to themselves - esp re inheritance tax) the knives will be out and he’ll be bought down sooner or later. It’s an untenable position.

Rishi either hasn’t realised this, or intends to put up a stand and die on the hill of tax avoidance. If you’re gonna be a British minister, especially CoftE or PM, you have to be whiter then white on this stuff.

Silly man.
    Slightly unfortunate wording ...
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: TURNOUT 65.0% AT 1700 CET (2017: 69.4%) #Presidentielle2022 #Election2022 #France
  • Options
    ping said:

Johnson will be delighted as he manifests in Ukraine seeking a slice of vicarious war kudos. He survives all of his scandals and now sees the main alternative to his leadership brought low by his own. I think this man has made a pact with Lucifer. The luck is too extreme to be explained any other way.
  • Options

FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: TURNOUT 65.0% AT 1700 CET (2017: 69.4%) #Presidentielle2022 #Election2022 #France

When does the poll close
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ping said:

Silly man.
    It’s just a figure of speech, not a dog whistle.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Was that not due to the business due to be going under though and seeing rich pickings at Westminster
    It actually doesn't really matter what the reasons were, in this or other cases: it just shows the bad faith. And the lack of credibility of a signigicant percentage of such promises. Though not as bad as Vote No to Stay in the EU.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

At least HYUFD doesn't pretend unlike you. Why don't you leave him alone?
    BigG strikes me as an exceptionally moderate and mild-mannered Conservative. In the same manner as (say) Southam for Labour. Both have their own angles and opinions on events, but neither have ever struck me as extreme.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Hope to God he is wrong.

2. It goes nuclear.

Do enlighten me. Or am I expected to take this pathetic riposte complete with split infinitive as the last word on the matter?
    Well you can look into the concept of the nuclear umbrella for starters. This concept covers a range of formal and informal agreements to provide security against catastrophic attack by a mutual enemy.

Whilst you're at it, you might want to look up what a split infinitive is. Not that I mind doing it, it's perfectly fine to not avoid doing it, but I didn't in the above post.
  • Options
    ping said:

Carnyx said:

ping said:

Silly man.
    It’s just a figure of speech, not a dog whistle.
    Oh, quite - I certainly didn't think you were getting oiut the whistle.
This discussion has been closed.