Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If the polls are right Macron is heading for victory – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited April 2022 in General
imageIf the polls are right Macron is heading for victory – politicalbetting.com

After what can only be described as a lackluster Presidential campaign France goes to the polls tomorrow with predictions of a very low turnout. In that situation, we could just be in for a shock.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Second like Le Pen?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    The final round will not be a low turnout.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Leon said:

I offer this as a special gift to @Theuniondivvie

Amazing what AI can do these days.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    Thanks for this Mike.
  • Options

Leon said:

There is no way that AI turns our favourite lumpen PM in to that. Human forces are at work... very weird forces!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    Leon said:

How did you create this? :curious:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

A Knight to Remember.....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Laura Kuenssberg Translator
    @BBCLauraKT
    ·
    6h
    BREAKING: Rishi Sunak's position as chancellor would be completely untenable in any party with a shred of decency, which means he is definitely keeping his job x
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,290
    Leon said:

Love him or hate him, one has to admit that Boris has had a terrific week: lauded as the saviour of Ukraine whilst brilliantly portraying rival Rishi as the ultimate Citizen of Nowhere and cosmopolitan dandy, surely the ultimate insult amongst the Tory base. Boris is lord of all he surveys.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Sandpit said:

Second like Le Pen?

Macron is like Johnson in 2019. An empty, untrustworthy populist out for himself with an appeal that defies logic.

But somewhat superior to the alternative...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,586

Leon said:

Love him or hate him, one has to admit that Boris has had a terrific week: lauded as the saviour of Ukraine whilst brilliantly portraying rival Rishi as the ultimate Citizen of Nowhere and cosmopolitan dandy, surely the ultimate insult amongst the Tory base. Boris is lord of all he surveys.
    Mm. He now has to fulfil his promises. For instance, are the AFVs the Mastiffs we've already heard about? And what's the British Army going to do for rides?
  • Options
    Also, what's this land-based anti-ship missile business? Or did I misunderstand? The UK doesn't have any.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Mm. He now has to fulfil his promises.
    You mean, like on Brexit where he promised 'no border in the Irish Sea?'

Well, it's possible, but it would be a break with tradition.
  • Options
    Spurs have now scored more PL goals this season under Antonio Conte (appointed November) than Arsenal have under Arteta

https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1512854209405894657
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Mm. He now has to fulfil his promises.
    You mean, like on Brexit where he promised 'no border in the Irish Sea?'

Well, it's possible, but it would be a break with tradition.
    Anyway, more detail will emerge over the next few days, I am sure. Now off to get another glass of rose and put the fried potatoes on for the omelette. Night all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Macron is heading to top the first round poll again with Le Pen again likely to be his runoff opponent. However the runoff itself later in the month looks a much closer affair than 2017, with Le Pen polling around 10 to 15% higher than the 34% she got then
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

He wouldn't be the first leader to be hugely popular abroad and not much loved in his own country - Mikhail Gorbachev was as well. He took on Communism from the inside and arguably did more to end it than anyone yet he got no thanks from many in Russia for what he did.

As for Johnson, we'll see what the May local elections offer. To be Conservative leader you only need to be less of a loser than anyone else as John Major so aptly demonstrated.

Johnson will stay until or unless someone else likely to save large numbers of backbenchers from having to look for alternative employment emerges. If no one else does, the Conservative ship will sink with Johnson going down with it - if a "saviour" emerges, Johnson will be thrown overboard with maximum expediency.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,361
    Carnyx said:

Also, what's this land-based anti-ship missile business? Or did I misunderstand? The UK doesn't have any.

Possibly Harpoons ?
  • Options
    Turnout according to Ipsos will be around 74% tomorrow, not that much lower than the 77% who voted in the first round in 2017
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

Entertainingly off-topic but we've decided we want to open a cafe. We own (one of) the former bank(s) in the village, there's a decent catchment, the previous cafe shut 6 years ago when the owners retired and is still talked about, and we've had a neb round various other similar establishments and looks like a good idea.

OK so I'm going to be busy (I'm about to be London-based half the week managing my soon to be former client's new UK business) but figure that as no rent is payable can afford to employ people. Have started building the business plan and the profit margins on some of these items are daft.

Just need to tackle the council's planning people. No physical alterations to the building needed inside or out, but its listed and the planning portal suggests even a change of use needs plans to show the non-work I plan on doing...

Best of luck - I look forward to perhaps one day enjoying breakfast at your establishment.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,961
    Leon said:

Ta.
    They’ve missed that weird streak of shit/scab thing on his hooter.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    Leon said:

Have a portrait of Bill Clinton I won at a district Democratic raffle in his heyday.

Currently occupies place of honor in my back closet.

Was thinking of offering it to Mr Ed as a memento . . . or maybe as a dart board?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,158
    Le Pen wants to pull FR out of NATO.

But she may win thanks to ‘le pouvoir d’achat’ says Neil:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10701233/Marine-Le-Pen-bring-chaos-Trump-says-ANDREW-NEIL.html
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Possibly Harpoons ?
    I imagine we have some stuff that isn't announced too. Harpoon is ancient.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    stodge said:

Entertainingly off-topic but we've decided we want to open a cafe. We own (one of) the former bank(s) in the village, there's a decent catchment, the previous cafe shut 6 years ago when the owners retired and is still talked about, and we've had a neb round various other similar establishments and looks like a good idea.

OK so I'm going to be busy (I'm about to be London-based half the week managing my soon to be former client's new UK business) but figure that as no rent is payable can afford to employ people. Have started building the business plan and the profit margins on some of these items are daft.

Just need to tackle the council's planning people. No physical alterations to the building needed inside or out, but its listed and the planning portal suggests even a change of use needs plans to show the non-work I plan on doing...

Best of luck - I look forward to perhaps one day enjoying breakfast at your establishment.
    @stodge that point to point I was talking about, here's the report. Colin Tizzard was there (his grandson riding) and Santini's owners the Kelvin Hugheses had a runner

...just to make the point that grass roots matter

https://pointingdc.co.uk/2022/04/06/report-spooners-p2p-cherrybrook-20220403
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    Leon said:

What would DACLE or whatever it is make of that? Boris: the West’s Champion of Ukraine
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964

Please make it dog friendly. When we visit our son near the Broch, there’s nowhere we can go for a coffee without leaving them outside. Also, please consider evening meals. Everywhere seems to close at 5pm in your part of the world.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Possibly Harpoons ?
    Britain's Harpoons were ship- or plane-launched. But the Danes did adapt theirs to land-launched.

I presume the UK and Ukraine are not agreeing a package that Ukraine will not be able to use. So whatever the details, I have to assume any issues have been worked out.
  • Options
    Want to wish GET WELL SOON all PBers who are personally dealing with a case of the COVID,.via themselves, relatives, close friends & coworkers, etc.

Am mindful of this having gotten my 2nd booster (Pf) a few days ago. Also that many have jobs & lifestyles that make it way harder than my own to avoid the contagion.

So give your anti-bodies a good pep talk & (I paraphrase) win this one for the OGHer!" (pron same as "ogre")
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Possibly Harpoons ?
    I'm interested to see what this will be - though I guess the options are something like Harpoon for the Black Sea fleet, or something light and portable for lightweight attack craft.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Mm. He now has to fulfil his promises. For instance, are the AFVs the Mastiffs we've already heard about? And what's the British Army going to do for rides?
    NEW: Total UK aid to Ukraine announced today and yesterday;

• 120 armoured vehicles and new anti-ship missiles
    • $130m worth of Starstreak anti-aircraft missiles, 800 anti-tank missiles, and high-tech loitering munitions for precision strikes
    • $500 million in World Bank

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1512842016920637444

I ham reluctant to quibble over the government’s support for Ukraine.

It’s not complicated. It’s entirely possible fully to support them on this, and to be determined to vote to kick them out at the next election.
    Nice of Total UK to help… shame that Total France is still grubbing for shekels in Russia
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733

Leon said:

What does "I" stand for in this context?
  • Options
    WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound
    column: “He [Rishi Sunak] thinks Putin will still be there and that there will have to be a deal with him and if that’s the case is it really worth the pain to the economy?”.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1512855291376902148
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

• $130m worth of Starstreak anti-aircraft missiles, 800 anti-tank missiles, and high-tech loitering munitions for precision strikes

It’s not complicated. It’s entirely possible fully to support them on this, and to be determined to vote to kick them out at the next election.
    Nice of Total UK to help… shame that Total France is still grubbing for shekels in Russia
    I love the way you said shekels.

Love it.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

We have also just ordered an extra 120 Boxer APCs (which are a chassis with swappable bodies), which sounds like backfill and makes me think we are may send more than just anti-IED/mine Armoured Patrol Vehicles. Difficult to call it.

The first Boxers arrive from 2023.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Possibly Harpoons ?
    I'm interested to see what this will be - though I guess the options are something like Harpoon for the Black Sea fleet, or something light and portable for lightweight attack craft.
    The Navy has got some old Harpoons it no longer needs, off the Duke class boats. But that doesn't allow for target acquisition and data compilation and transmission. Ah, TimT has pointed out the Danish ones - so maybe something in combination?

AIUI unless the Raff has some air-launched Sea Eagles* in store, it'll otherwise be a matter of waiting for the makers to invent and build them.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound
    column: “He [Rishi Sunak] thinks Putin will still be there and that there will have to be a deal with him and if that’s the case is it really worth the pain to the economy?”.

Rishi is a busted flush. What a shame
  • Options

The plans will need to show the internal layout - number of seats, kitchen equipment including vent ducting etc - and any external signage attached to the building. You might also need to show you have places for people to park, depending on the precise location and how anal the council are about these things. The margins can seem daft, but there’s lots of wastage and the staff costs can add up. That said, with no rent it should be possible to make a decent business out of it. Good luck! :+1:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Leon said:

To appear as poster boy for one of Leon's homo erotic websites does not a great leader make. Still an untrustworthy laughing stock to the Great British public and screwing Rishi just makes Labour's job easier.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Perhaps he thinks he's Chancellor of Germany instead of Chancellor of the Exchequer.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,290

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Wow. Did Rishi say this in an on-the-record interview, or is it something he secretly confided with Boris that somehow - astonishingly - got leaked out?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If you think Putin will still be there then Shirley that means developing non fossil fuel sources are even more important.

Absolutely fucking incoherent thinking by Sunak.
  • Options
    Soldiers using Harpoon in battle must experience overweening urge when deploying, to shout "thar she blows!"
  • Options

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Surprised nobody has mentioned in recent days the death toll from the Eat Twice and Pay Once scheme he espoused so vigorously. It's another weakness.
  • Options

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Typical Hodges out-of-context quote.

Putin could well still be there, there’s no suggestion that anyone is targeting him or Russian soil, and it’s perfectly legitimate for the Chancellor to note (to the PM and Cabinet) the cost to the UK economy of sanctions against Russia. Why does everything need to be some massive scandal?
  • Options

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Wow. Did Rishi say this in an on-the-record interview, or is it something he secretly confided with Boris that somehow - astonishingly - got leaked out?
    We await the S Times tomorrow for the full story I guess.

We will all have to review our next tory leader bets I think after Sunak's week from hell.
  • Options

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Perhaps he thinks he's Chancellor of Germany instead of Chancellor of the Exchequer.
    :lol:

Ouch!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Putin could well still be there, there’s no suggestion that anyone is targeting him or Russian soil, and it’s perfectly legitimate for the Chancellor to note (to the PM and Cabinet) the cost to the UK economy of sanctions against Russia. Why does everything need to be some massive scandal?
    To save Big Dog?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Am getting feeling that Rishi Sunak has little to no input, aside & outside usual suspects of HM Treasury.

Which is a VERY dangerous thing for a Chancellor or the Exchequer. EDIT - For them & UK.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,252
    Carnyx said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Surprised nobody has mentioned in recent days the death toll from the Eat Twice and Pay Once scheme he espoused so vigorously. It's another weakness.
    Totally agree
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

Macron is heading to top the first round poll again with Le Pen again likely to be his runoff opponent. However the runoff itself later in the month looks a much closer affair than 2017, with Le Pen polling around 10 to 15% higher than the 34% she got then

Also on topic. Melenchon coming in the top 2 won’t be that much of a shock to anyone really will it?
    If he does, he’s actually a more difficult opponent for Macron, as he will slice and dice Macron in head to head debate, and it will be much easier for Le Pens yellow jacket, EU sceptic and Nationalist vote to transfer to Melenchon than Melenchon’s ethnic vote to transfer to Le Pen.
  • Options
    In response to the ever-excitable Leon, Labour leads this week:

5%
    6%
    7%

If that's being 'lord of all he surveys' then Boris is a masterstroke for Labour fortunes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2022
  • Options

Soldiers using Harpoon in battle must experience overweening urge when deploying, to shout "thar she blows!"

More suitable than you think, in the UK it's used by Sailors !
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Sandpit said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

+1

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited April 2022

edit
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,117
    Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Totally agree
    Rather hard to prove someone died because of the eat out to help out scheme. I think that’s the least of his issues. The biggest one surely is the huge amount of friendly fire that’s currently turned on him.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

I think the link between that scheme and the autumn wave in 2020 is quite tenuous. It began in Med tourist destinations when Eat Out To Help Out was already ending.
  • Options
    With regards to the other war, the one between No 10. & No. 11, the last time it erupted into the public like this it led to Labour's loss of power.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    MattW said:

More suitable than you think, in the UK it's used by Sailors !
    Also the Raff - previously, but stopped by the disgraceful collapse of long range maritime capability. The Poseidon will have it though.
  • Options

Leon said:

Why doesn’t he call that June election then, before the economic horrors of the next three years hit him and party like a juggernaut?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

With regards to the other war, the one between No 10. & No. 11, the last time it erupted into the public like this it led to Labour's loss of power.

You're forgetting about May and Hammond when it contributed to her almost blowing the election in 2017.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,890
    Sandpit said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

I've got zero problem with him asking that question. I'd *hope* it would get the answer: "Yes! It is worth it!", given the risks of Putin extending the war to other countries if we do not help Ukraine. But asking the question is perfectly valid: especially if it leads to some measures that deals with what happens when Putin is still there.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,730
    edited April 2022
    Le Pen can still win the first round as she might see more transfers from Zemmour .

Macrons polling has looked quite stable recently around the 26% mark . If you remove the bump he got around the time of the start of the war in Ukraine then nothing much has changed in terms of his support over the last few months.

Andrew Neil’s column was very good but one thing I disagree with . Mélenchons supporters if you take all the polling into account generally shows a slight edge to Macron in terms of second round transfers .

And add to that .

A large amount of his support comes from the Muslim population in France , current abstention rates are likely to include a disproportionate level of that community as they tend to be less likely to vote overall but if Le Pen looks to have a chance of the Presidency this will drive up that turnout .

Looking across the polling Le Pen is maxing out her second round polling because of low abstention rates amongst Zemmours voters who transfer to her .

That’s why turnout is key in the second round and this is something Macron has highlighted . If turnout goes up this is likely to be voters trying to stop Le Pen .

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

To save Big Dog?
    The only question is whether no 10 are destroying Sunak to make it easier to sack him, or to keep him in place but defenestrated. My guess is the latter.
  • Options

Leon said:

Why doesn’t he call that June election then, before the economic horrors of the next three years
    Is this a new change to the Elections & Referendums Act?

2 years, 1 month and 24 days max.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Possibly Harpoons ?
    The Navy has got some old Harpoons it no longer needs, off the Duke class boats. But that doesn't allow for target acquisition and data compilation and transmission. Ah, TimT has pointed out the Danish ones - so maybe something in combination?

AIUI unless the Raff has some air-launched Sea Eagles* in store, it'll otherwise be a matter of waiting for the makers to invent and build them.
    The other possible is a Land launched version of Martlet (3kg warhead) or Sea Venom (30kg warhead), which have hints of the capability being developed, but we may not be there yet. Not convinced, however.
  • Options

Heathener said:

You're forgetting about May and Hammond when it contributed to her almost blowing the election in 2017.
    That's true
  • Options

Heathener said:

Clarkson was the best :)
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

To save Big Dog?
    The only question is whether no 10 are destroying Sunak to make it easier to sack him, or to keep him in place but defenestrated. My guess is the latter.
    It will be remembered that Sunak was only appointed in the first place because he was more amenable to sheltering the Treasury under the wing of No. 10. It seems to be a long-term aim of the Cabinet Office, Dom or no-Dom.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The plans will need to show the internal layout - number of seats, kitchen equipment including vent ducting etc - and any external signage attached to the building. You might also need to show you have places for people to park, depending on the precise location and how anal the council are about these things. The margins can seem daft, but there’s lots of wastage and the staff costs can add up. That said, with no rent it should be possible to make a decent business out of it. Good luck! :+1:
    Thanks - am going to speak to the local planning office and get an understanding from them what they need. Ducting? We're golden. Food prep will be in the former comms room and there is an existing extraction fan. Simply replace with a modern one with no holes needing to be cut. Clearly they'll need to look at parking for the change of use application.

We're on the main road and there is on street parking and a layby across the road. We get an eclectic mix of people parking outside - from cars to HGVs to mahoosive Clarson-sized tractors. Suspect they will want to consider that as part of the change of use application, but as there was no parking when it was a bank and the new shop across the road (shop converted to house reconverted to shop) also has on street parking only.

What I am trying to get my head around is disabled access. There is an existing ramp to the front door, but the toilets are down a wheelchair unfriendly corridor having gone up two small steps. Realistically that isn't something that can be changed. I know plenty of existing premises with wholly inaccessible toilets so I know it isn't a barrier. However, the rear fire door is also up those two steps. Was open as a bank til 2016 so was in code back then, wonder what may have changed...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

You should price a market rent into your analysis unless there is no alternative use for the property/ you can’t sell it. Otherwise it will just artificially inflate the cafes apparent profitability
  • Options

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Indian Finance Minister, surely!
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Le Pen can still win the first round as she might see more transfers from Zemmour .

Macrons polling has looked quite stable recently around the 26% mark . If you remove the bump he got around the time of the start of the war in Ukraine then nothing much has changed in terms of his support over the last few months.

Andrew Neil’s column was very good but one thing I disagree with . Mélenchons supporters if you take all the polling into account generally shows a slight edge to Macron in terms of second round transfers .

And add to that .

A large amount of his support comes from the Muslim population in France , current abstention rates are likely to include a disproportionate level of that community as they tend to be less likely to vote overall but if Le Pen looks to have a chance of the Presidency this will drive up that turnout .

Looking across the polling Le Pen is maxing out her second round polling because of low abstention rates amongst Zemmours voters who transfer to her .

That’s why turnout is key in the second round and this is something Macron has highlighted . If turnout goes up this is likely to be voters trying to stop Le Pen .

Interesting observations about the Muslim vote in France. Question - will the fact that it’s the middle of Ramadan have an affect on their turnout, one way or the other?
  • Options

Heathener said:

You mean Kelly?

Kelly Clarkson - Whole Lotta Woman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESA9kosNx-U
  • Options

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

Am getting feeling that Rishi Sunak has little to no input, aside & outside usual suspects of HM Treasury.

Which is a VERY dangerous thing for a Chancellor or the Exchequer. EDIT - For them & UK.
    Remember he only got the job because he was prepared to play second fiddle to No. 10 SPADs, then led by Cummings.
  • Options

Please make it dog friendly. When we visit our son near the Broch, there’s nowhere we can go for a coffee without leaving them outside. Also, please consider evening meals. Everywhere seems to close at 5pm in your part of the world.
    Kids and dogs, happily! Its to provide something beneficial to the community. Plenty of people with kids and dogs so would be bonkers to not allow them in. Won't do evenings though - the former village cafe is now a superb indian restaurant and they are open of an evening. Its during the day that there is nothing...
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Heathener said:

You mean Kelly?

Kelly Clarkson - Whole Lotta Woman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESA9kosNx-U
    No, Jeremy Clarkson, James May and RichardHammond were on BBC "Top Gear" for many years.

BTW have you worked out where Dodos used to live? It wasn't New Zealand!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

You should price a market rent into your analysis unless there is no alternative use for the property/ you can’t sell it. Otherwise it will just artificially inflate the cafes apparent profitability
    There will be rent payable. By my cafe business to the building owner. As with the rent paid by the current tenant (a management consultancy business) I just happen to be both the tenant and the landlord, albeit wearing different hats for tax purposes.

Yes indeed, I am Mrs Sunak.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

Also on topic. Melenchon coming in the top 2 won’t be that much of a shock to anyone really will it?
    If he does, he’s actually a more difficult opponent for Macron, as he will slice and dice Macron in head to head debate, and it will be much easier for Le Pens yellow jacket, EU sceptic and Nationalist vote to transfer to Melenchon than Melenchon’s ethnic vote to transfer to Le Pen.
    According to the latest Harris poll Le Pen on 24% is closer to Macron on 27% than Melenchon on 18% is to Le Pen.

In terms of the runoff Le Pen gets 48.5% v Macron while Melenchon gets only 43% against the President.

33% of Pecresse voters would vote for Le Pen but just 12% for Melenchon. 84% of Zemmour voters would vote for Le Pen but only 15% for Melenchon.

21% of Melenchon voters would vote for Le Pen and 30% of Le Pen voters for Melenchon however, not a vast difference

http://harris-interactive.fr/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2022/04/Rapport-Harris-Interactive-Toluna-V41-Intentions-de-vote-Presidentielle-2022-Challenges.pdf
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Love it.
    I love the way that Israel is unambiguously standing behind Ukraine with full thrusted support about the illegal occupation of her land by an aggressive neighbour
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    So much of what the Russians are doing in Ukraine is deeply hideous and scary. I'm finding it harder and harder to accept us not doing more, and halting all purchases of anything from Russia, and perhaps even fighting alongside Ukraine.

“Russia to Fast-Track Adoption of Deported Ukraine Orphans: Kyiv Officials”

Article II of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide:

E) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

https://un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512798107276296196
  • Options
    Just realised my error. It's 2 years 0 months and 24 days max to the next election.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090

WT actual F!!!!!!

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16m
    Staggering quote from
    @ShippersUnbound

We await the S Times tomorrow for the full story I guess.

We will all have to review our next tory leader bets I think after Sunak's week from hell.
    Given Sunak's role in delaying effective action to slow the second wave in autumn 2020, this really doesn't surprise me as much as it should.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

There will be rent payable. By my cafe business to the building owner. As with the rent paid by the current tenant (a management consultancy business) I just happen to be both the tenant and the landlord, albeit wearing different hats for tax purposes.

Yes indeed, I am Mrs Sunak.
    Makes sense. The joys of opco-propco. At least you haven’t stuck in a manco as well.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Just realised my error. It's 2 years 0 months and 24 days max to the next election.

It isn't. Parliament can't last more than 5 years which is 17th December 2024. Allow 6 weeks or so of campaign after that and the GE could legally be in February 2025.

Politically that would be mad, but with this government, who knows.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Thanks - am going to speak to the local planning office and get an understanding from them what they need. Ducting? We're golden. Food prep will be in the former comms room and there is an existing extraction fan. Simply replace with a modern one with no holes needing to be cut. Clearly they'll need to look at parking for the change of use application.

We're on the main road and there is on street parking and a layby across the road. We get an eclectic mix of people parking outside - from cars to HGVs to mahoosive Clarson-sized tractors. Suspect they will want to consider that as part of the change of use application, but as there was no parking when it was a bank and the new shop across the road (shop converted to house reconverted to shop) also has on street parking only.

What I am trying to get my head around is disabled access. There is an existing ramp to the front door, but the toilets are down a wheelchair unfriendly corridor having gone up two small steps. Realistically that isn't something that can be changed. I know plenty of existing premises with wholly inaccessible toilets so I know it isn't a barrier. However, the rear fire door is also up those two steps. Was open as a bank til 2016 so was in code back then, wonder what may have changed...
    Sounds good!

The disabled bathroom access is what might get you - the bank may have had grandfather rights as they would have been staff rather than public toilets, which would be a requirement for a restaurant/cafe. It may be as simple as having a couple of ramps made up, which could be either temporary (think of what they use on trains for wheelchair access) or semi-permanent (a metal structure sitting on the floor that replaces the steps).

I’m not really au fait with listed building consent, except to note that it adds zeros to the cost of doing anything! Things like wiring paths for the fire alarm system can be the subject of extensive discussion.

I used to do IT for restaurants a couple of decades ago, trying to run data cables was always a nightmare in listed buildings because we had to get permissions rather than just doing it.

Good luck in your talks with the council, maybe you might need to consider running for office!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,730
    edited April 2022
    Sandpit said:

nico679 said:

And add to that .

Interesting observations about the Muslim vote in France. Question - will the fact that it’s the middle of Ramadan have an affect on their turnout, one way or the other?
    I wouldn’t have thought so for voters but for any volunteers it will be a hard slog during the day . In terms of Mélenchon in 2017 he took more of the Muslim vote in round 1 than Macron which might come as a surprise .

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,238
    edited April 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Love it.
    I love the way that Israel is unambiguously standing behind Ukraine with full thrusted support about the illegal occupation of her land by an aggressive neighbour
    Erm, it is slightly ambiguous given that Israel blocked the transfer of anti-missile missiles. Israel does seem to have a lot of medical assistance out there. Ironically, Israel has roundly condemned the war crimes and mass graves in more-or-less the same terms as Jeremy Corbyn, ie without naming Russia.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,361
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Possibly Harpoons ?
    I imagine we have some stuff that isn't announced too. Harpoon is ancient.
    Yes, we’re planning to scrap them next year - but it outranges most of the Russian ship based missiles in the Black Sea.
    And Ukraine has made effective use of equally old ex Soviet kit elsewhere.
  • Options

At a handshake distance. @BorisJohnson and @ZelenskyyUa walked through the center of Kyiv and talked to ordinary Kyivans. This is what democracy looks like. This is what courage looks like. This is what true friendship between peoples and between nations looks like.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1512867082932793347

Wow, that’s impressive. Well done Boris! :+1:
  • Options
    2% drop for conservatives but no increase in labour percentage

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1512868411197566976?t=SlCuV3Lgn2LnRZjK3SrqDQ&s=19
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    nico679 said:

Sandpit said:

nico679 said:

And add to that .

I wouldn’t have thought so for voters but for any volunteers it will be a hard slog during the day . In terms of Mélenchon in 2017 he took more of the Muslim vote in round 1 than Macron which might come as a surprise .

Melenchon won the under 25 vote and the Muslim and atheist vote in the first round in 2017. Which is not that surprising as his voter base was and is very similar to Corbyn's in 2017 and 2019
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,238

2% drop for conservatives but no increase in labour percentage

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1512868411197566976?t=SlCuV3Lgn2LnRZjK3SrqDQ&s=19

Broken record mode = on. The Conservatives are not being hit in the polls by the supposedly deep hole Rishi Sunak has dug. It might happen, of course, but so far it looks like it is only Tory activists who want shot of him.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Love it.
    Dem 4 x 2s, eh?

Why do you think Total France trades or accounts in shekels?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

According to the latest Harris poll Le Pen on 24% is closer to Macron on 27% than Melenchon on 18% is to Le Pen.

In terms of the runoff Le Pen gets 48.5% v Macron while Melenchon gets only 43% against the President.

33% of Pecresse voters would vote for Le Pen but just 12% for Melenchon. 84% of Zemmour voters would vote for Le Pen but only 15% for Melenchon.

21% of Melenchon voters would vote for Le Pen and 30% of Le Pen voters for Melenchon however, not a vast difference

http://harris-interactive.fr/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2022/04/Rapport-Harris-Interactive-Toluna-V41-Intentions-de-vote-Presidentielle-2022-Challenges.pdf
    Those are fantasy polls until we have just two candidates. The who sceme of thinking it will transform in just 24 hours,
This discussion has been closed.