Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunday’s French election is getting very tight – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,713
edited April 2022 in General
imageSunday’s French election is getting very tight – politicalbetting.com

One of the things about the French presidential election system is that polling can have a big impact on what actually happens. On Sunday12 contenders for the presidency are whittled down to the final two in the second round two Sundays later.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Within the margin of error....
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    State Department signs off on $1.6B sale of eight F-16s to Bulgaria.

Bulgaria has 11 MiG-29s and 8 Su-25s.

Biden getting the planes delivered to Ukraine after all? Actually looks way more complex.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1511062310869159944
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963

Biden getting the planes delivered to Ukraine after all?

Though how long will it be before Bulgaria are actually flying those F16s ?
    Could be years.
    (And they’ve been negotiating this deal for a long time.)

Poland is a far more likely candidate for such a swap as it already flys F16s.
  • Options
    Pedants might object, but best academic pun of the day.

Why did they call it The Tolkien Professorship when The Fellowship of the Ring was right there
    https://mobile.twitter.com/LauraAmalasunta/status/1510608802990669833
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Nigelb said:

Biden getting the planes delivered to Ukraine after all?

Though how long will it be before Bulgaria are actually flying those F16s ?
    Could be years.
    (And they’ve been negotiating this deal for a long time.)

Poland is a far more likely candidate for such a swap as it already flys F16s.
    "Another source familiar noted that the aircraft are new production, so they would not be ready for delivery for three to four years."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-approves-potential-sale-f-16-aircraft-bulgaria-2022-04-04/

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,607
    It is the first round that looks tight, not the run-off. If the latest poll in the header is to be believed, then Le Pen is in a four-way fight for the runner-up spot.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,366
    FPT

Borodyna in Ukraine looks like being worse than Bucha.

We are living in extremely dark times. I see no cause for optimism at all in this world

https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1511019538325942282?s=20&t=uv8gsGy73Tlu7aa7wBvgTw
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,152
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

UK’s First Light Fusion demonstrates fusion with its kinetic impact method.
    https://firstlightfusion.com/media/fusion

Proof of concept for what is possibly the most quickly achievable way of building a commercial fusion plant to generate electricity.

That's an interesting approach, although they're still only talking about workable power stations in the 2030s.

It's good that so many different approaches to fusion are being seriously looked at, as knowledge gained from one informs the others, and it is more likely that one may eventually work, or lead to another approach that does.

Then there are the (ahem) less credible approaches, like Pons/Fleischmann's cold fusion, or sonofusion.

Edit: it looks as though progress had been made in my favourite area, aneutronic fusion. Although they're still four orders of magnitude away from net-positive energy...

The great thing about aneutronic fusion is that in theory, it uses no radioactive materials, produces virtually no radioactive waste, and requires no heat cycle to generate power.

https://hb11.energy/2022/03/29/world-first-hb11-energy-demonstrates-nuclear-fusion-using-a-laser/
  • Options
    A spot of culture for the PB early shift:-

EastEnders' Dot Cotton: a real character with Shakespearean depths
    The late June Brown's most famous creation became a cultural icon - and that's a testament to superb writing and acting

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2022/04/05/eastenders-dot-cotton-real-character-shakespearean-depths/ (£££)
  • Options
    EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson is close to making a formal statement about plans to “outsource” the processing of asylum seekers to Rwanda

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1511210948991848449
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Nigelb said:

Proof of concept for what is possibly the most quickly achievable way of building a commercial fusion plant to generate electricity.

That's an interesting approach, although they're still only talking about workable power stations in the 2030s…

That in itself is pretty remarkable.
    The old ‘in thirty years’ meme really meant ‘we have no idea’.

Next decade reflects the fact they have a roadmap. And credible cost per MW estimates.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    The First Round poll graphic in the header is a month out of date.

Le Pen is now in a far more comfortable 2nd place.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Why privatise Channel 4? Just seems like ideological dogma to me

Why not privatise channel 4?
    Can you answer that equally good question
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    The comparable all-candidate charts in 2017 to the ones Mike has posted had Marine Le Pen ahead of Macron:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2017_French_presidential_election#26_January_to_16_March_2017

She was ahead or level in every one of the last 19 polls prior to the first round vote.

This time she is well behind.

(For the avoidance of doubt this refers to Mike's second chart where all candidates are listed as this is the real world voting of the first round.)
  • Options
    Channel 4 just another example of the Government being out of touch and out of ideas.

Cost of living, energy. No it’s Channel 4 that needs dealing with.

This is why Labour’s lead is increasing. The Tories are not doing anything.
  • Options
    Good morning @Heathener, have a lovely day ahead.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    Good morning, everyone.

Is it? I do feel this is a show I've seen before.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

That's an interesting approach, although they're still only talking about workable power stations in the 2030s…

That in itself is pretty remarkable.
    The old ‘in thirty years’ meme really meant ‘we have no idea’.

Next decade reflects the fact they have a roadmap. And credible cost per MW estimates.
    Well, it's easy to *claim* such things, and roadmaps are just that. As ever, you need to split the fund-seeking hype from the reality. But it's an interesting idea and may work well. One to watch.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited April 2022

Privatising the BBC/Channel 4 is one of the few issues that I’ve completely changed my mind over, over the last few years.

I used to be completely against privatisation, now I don’t see what the problem is. I’m in favour of a smart state, flexible about moving things in and out of private/public ownership.

Generally - If there’s a market, genuine competition and space for innovation, it should be private.

Essential service &/or a natural monopoly? Public.

I’d bring water, energy and trains into public ownership - and privatise the BBC/Channel 4.
  • Options
    Taz said:

We are living in extremely dark times. I see no cause for optimism at all in this world

I realise this can appear to annoy people, but this is precisely why I've stopped looking at the News after my morning catch-up. Even then I only take a cursory look now. Too much hatred, violence, disrespect, nastiness, anger etc.

In my brief exchange I had with JJ this time yesterday I suggested that we can, to an extent, make our own reality. Or rather there are multiple realities. We can choose to live in a way that is happier and less stressed but it requires disengaging from a lot of modern particularly western life. At some points of my life I've lived in extremely remote locations, freed from the encumbrances of modern life. They were blissful times.

I think JJ inferred that this was escapism but I find no greater Reality than when I'm in contemplative meditation embedded in Mother Nature.

As I say, I accept that this is alternative but it works for me.

Have a nice day :)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Good spot.
  • Options

Good morning @Heathener, have a lovely day ahead.

Good morning to you too CHB and likewise :)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

I realise this can appear to annoy people, but this is precisely why I've stopped looking at the News after my morning catch-up. Even then I only take a cursory look now. Too much hatred, violence, disrespect, nastiness, anger etc.

In my brief exchange I had with JJ this time yesterday I suggested that we can, to an extent, make our own reality. Or rather there are multiple realities. We can choose to live in a way that is happier and less stressed but it requires disengaging from a lot of modern particularly western life. At some points of my life I've lived in extremely remote locations, freed from the encumbrances of modern life. They were blissful times.

I think JJ inferred that this was escapism but I find no greater Reality than when I'm in contemplative meditation embedded in Mother Nature.

Is it OK to say I agree with you

5 live business this morning was depressing not only on the war but the consequences of rocketing commodity prices and with no end in sight

I am at a point now that I do not know how any government can handle the onslaught of so many impossible problems, and to be fair my wife just will not listen to the news

Enjoy your day
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson is close to making a formal statement about plans to “outsource” the processing of asylum seekers to Rwanda

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1511210948991848449

Only the dusky ones. White ones with good cheekbones get encouraged.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,366
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

@Leon called it doom scrolling.

I also found out this weekend my father has six months left.

Life’s crap.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Life’s crap.
    So sorry to hear about your father. Hope he's comfortable.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Life’s crap.
    Sorry to read this Taz. Best wishes to you all.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Life’s crap.
    I am so sorry to hear your news
  • Options

Heathener said:

Taz said:

5 live business this morning was depressing not only on the war but the consequences of rocketing commodity prices and with no end in sight

I am at a point now that I do not know how any government can handle the onslaught of so many impossible problems, and to be fair my wife just will not listen to the news

Enjoy your day
    I agree with you too.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,813
    Vox pop video:

The Russian attitude to Ukraine.

Something is seriously wrong in Russia.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1511165207921504260
  • Options
    From the ISW's latest daily report, it looks as though the battle for the town of Slovyansk is going to be critical:

https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-4
  • Options
    Actually, I fear it's Russia that's in this position That is when the hypothesis “the people are good – the government is bad” does not work.- though a different solution will need to be found:

Back in April last year, we wrote about the inevitability of the denazification of Ukraine. We don’t need nazi, Bandera Ukraine, the enemy of Russia, and the West’s tool for the destruction of Russia.

Today, the issue of denazification has moved into a practical plane. Denazification is necessary when a significant part of the people – most likely the majority – has been mastered and drawn into the Nazi regime in its politics. That is when the hypothesis “the people are good – the government is bad” does not work. Recognition of this fact is the basis of the policy of denazification, of all its measures, and the fact itself is its subject matter. Ukraine is in just such a situation.

https://uacrisis.org/en/justification-of-genocide-russia-has-openly-declared-its-desire-to-exterminate-ukrainians-as-a-nation
  • Options

Vox pop video:

I'm not saying Russian public opinion isn't fucked up but if you'd gone and interviewed a bunch of random British people during The Troubles or the Iraq war and picked out the maddest ones you could have put together quite an impressive selection of genocidal bigotry.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Enjoy your day
    I agree with you too.
    The apocalypse must be upon us if all of you agree on something!
  • Options

Vox pop video:

I'm not saying Russian public opinion isn't fucked up but if you'd gone and interviewed a bunch of random British people during The Troubles or the Iraq war and picked out the maddest ones you could have put together quite an impressive selection of genocidal bigotry.
    I doubt Tony Blair had an 80% approval rating during the Iraq war.....
  • Options

Actually, I fear it's Russia that's in this position That is when the hypothesis “the people are good – the government is bad” does not work.- though a different solution will need to be found:

Back in April last year, we wrote about the inevitability of the denazification of Ukraine. We don’t need nazi, Bandera Ukraine, the enemy of Russia, and the West’s tool for the destruction of Russia.

Today, the issue of denazification has moved into a practical plane. Denazification is necessary when a significant part of the people – most likely the majority – has been mastered and drawn into the Nazi regime in its politics. That is when the hypothesis “the people are good – the government is bad” does not work. Recognition of this fact is the basis of the policy of denazification, of all its measures, and the fact itself is its subject matter. Ukraine is in just such a situation.

https://uacrisis.org/en/justification-of-genocide-russia-has-openly-declared-its-desire-to-exterminate-ukrainians-as-a-nation

Yes. Self awareness and irony are not currently acquainted with the Russian government.

It might be quite funny to watch them spew out this rubbish without ever realising that they're projecting if the consequences for Ukraine weren't so appalling.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,505
    This is an interesting tweet in an interesting short thread.

"Jonathan Leader Maynard
    @jleadermaynard
    Note that the common assertion that abuses against civilians are ‘inevitable’ in war is totally false. States have been found to directly target civilians in roughly 1/5 to 1/3 of all wars. Atrocities are appalling but not inevitable. https://mitpress.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.7551/mitpress/9780262014205.001.0001/upso-9780262014205-chapter-2 /11"

https://twitter.com/jleadermaynard/status/1510911900674048004
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,879

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Enjoy your day
    The news does focus far too much on the negative. From a commercial perspective that is understandable as it is what sells, but there is no reason the BBC has to do the same. If I were in charge of BBC news I would have a minimum 20% good news stories each week, including prime time.

Even in war or a pandemic, there are plenty of heroic, uplifting stories that deserve attention.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    ping said:

Privatising the BBC/Channel 4 is one of the few issues that I’ve completely changed my mind over, over the last few years.

I used to be completely against privatisation, now I don’t see what the problem is. I’m in favour of a smart state, flexible about moving things in and out of private/public ownership.

Generally - If there’s a market, genuine competition and space for innovation, it should be private.

I’d bring water, energy and trains into public ownership - and privatise the BBC/Channel 4.
    Would you be happy for it to be bought by Richard Desmond and turned into Express TV?
  • Options

Vox pop video:

I wouldn't take that number at face value, polling in Russia on this issue right now is liable to have some problems with non-response bias, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,435
    One of the oddities of the French system is that many of those standing for President are the usual suspects who have already been rejected by the electorate. In this country leaders of the serious parties tend to get 1 or a maximum of 2 goes before the party looks for a new look or voice. It's like the country is run by half a dozen Liberal Democratic parties.

This makes it quite difficult for new candidates to come forward within the system and candidates often seem to come from new parties or groupings which must have very little in the way of data for canvassing etc. Macron did this spectacularly the last time but I really don't see the likes of Le Pen or Melenchon doing much but causing a block to the new. Zemmour is the new candidate with the new party this time but his brand must surely do no more than damage Le Pen.

I am not a fan of Macron and he is absurdly hostile to the UK but I cannot see anyone that has any kind of a chance of beating him. I did get a bit of a laugh from a column in the Telegraph yesterday indicating that his great drive to relocate finance from London to Paris has so far resulted in the location of just over 7k jobs and Paris remained at 12 in the world as a financial centre whilst London was second to New York. It seemed to me typical of Macron, lots of bluster but very little practical result.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Enjoy your day
    No problems are impossible, Big_G.
    You saw much the same in the 70s, and we were all considerably poorer back then.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Enjoy your day
    I agree with you too.
    Good to start the day on the same page

The extent of this crisis as laid out on 5 live this morning was utterly depressing and more so, as nobody on the programme has a scintilla of an idea on how to deal with it

• Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Life’s crap.
    I'm really sorry to hear that, Taz.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213

Vox pop video:

Obviously this doesn't apply to Iraq (and, actually, I'm not sure you would have heard such views here during that), but at least some of that emotion during the troubles would have been understandable giving the murders committed in Britain by the IRA.

What's more interesting/concerning, is the "it's all going really well" views of Russians. They really have no idea what's actually going on in Ukraine. Perhaps if they knew that (some of) their boys were getting their arses handed to them, then things might be different.

Perhaps a few years of Russia not playing international football etc. might make the people wonder what exactly is going on.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,457
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Life’s crap.
    Oh shit I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping that time will be full and important for both of you.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Vox pop video:

You still could. There have been days when even PB could have held their own....and what about Israel?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,428
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Enjoy your day

You saw much the same in the 70s, and we were all considerably poorer back then.
    Indeed and as someone who lived with rationing cards as a youngster eventually we regained a a quality of life but it took a long time and of course in the 70's we did not have a European war
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Roger said:

Vox pop video:

You still could. There have been days when even PB could have held their own....
    Absolutely. I am old enough to remember when driving all Muslims from the country was discussed here.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Enjoy your day
    Roger said:

Vox pop video:

You still could. There have been days when even PB could have held their own....
    Absolutely. I am old enough to remember when driving all Muslims from the country was discussed here.
    'Discussed' is rather a strong word for 'SeanT periodically went off on drunken rants about how much he hated them.'
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Vox pop video:

That was a war far away with precisely zero consequences for the vast majority of the UK population. The country would have had a different view if there had been a kinetic war next door which the British press portrayed as an existential crisis.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,127
    Taz said:

FPT

Borodyna in Ukraine looks like being worse than Bucha.

https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1511019538325942282?s=20&t=uv8gsGy73Tlu7aa7wBvgTw

The optimism comes from the revulsion that most feel for these actions.

Evil is always with us. It has been recognised and is being combatted on this occasion
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,422
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Vox pop video:

Seriously? That’s mad. You can surely have legitimate debate about immigration, religion and culture without going down that line. Who were the proposers?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,155

MikeL said:

Good spot.
    That and it is a single poll from an otherwise unrepresented pollster that gives any indication of it "getting closer" in the head to head - it is otherwise notably stable.
  • Options

Why should the state fund a TV channel out of taxation? If there is demand for the products it produces they can fund externally.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Vox pop video:

Obviously this doesn't apply to Iraq (and, actually, I'm not sure you would have heard such views here during that), but at least some of that emotion during the troubles would have been understandable giving the murders committed in Britain by the IRA.

What's more interesting/concerning, is the "it's all going really well" views of Russians. They really have no idea what's actually going on in Ukraine. Perhaps if they knew that (some of) their boys were getting their arses handed to them, then things might be different.

Perhaps a few years of Russia not playing international football etc. might make the people wonder what exactly is going on.
    They - or at least it seems the majority - refuse to acknowledge the reality.
    There are too many stories of Ukrainians with Russian relatives, who when they call them are faced with hostile indifference and denial, to think that it's just ignorance.
  • Options

Channel 4 just another example of the Government being out of touch and out of ideas.

Government has the ability to do more than one thing at a time.

What do you think the culture department should do about the cost of living? Cut the TV license fee?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 943
    philiph said:

Why not privatise channel 4?
    Can you answer that equally good question

Because there's a limit to how many things a government can effectively do at once, and there are 500 things that are more important than that right now, even if you happen to think it might be better privatised.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Vox pop video:

Seriously? That’s mad. You can surely have legitimate debate about immigration, religion and culture without going down that line. Who were the proposers?
    It's impossible to say the speed with which usernames keep changing.
  • Options

Why should the state fund a TV channel out of taxation? If there is demand for the products it produces they can fund externally.
    Surely Channel 4 is funded from advertising?
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    I judge foreign leaders by how friendly or useful they are to the UK. On that basis I would be delighted if Macron goes down. Would le Pen be any better? Has she every said anything about Anglo-French relations?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,251
    Channel 4 is publicly owned, not publicly funded. It doesn't cost the tax payer a penny. It also, by charter, commissions content but doesn't make/own its own. It's one of the reasons we have such a thriving indy sector in places like Glasgow. This is the opposite of levelling up
    https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1511226059370471424
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Vox pop video:

When you say "discussed"...how many actual advocates for that?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,995
    Roger said:

ping said:

Would you be happy for it to be bought by Richard Desmond and turned into Express TV?
    What would be wrong with that in principle? If it abides by the Ofcom regs then fair game.

I was quite uneasy about the rush to ban RT though, so have a unusually strong tendency towards press freedom.

It seems a waste of energy to privatise it but again, don't see a fundamental issue with it. The government takes on all the risk for an institution that doesn't have a fundamental role in our society - exactly the kind of thing we should try to avoid.
  • Options

It isn't state funded, it is state owned, funded by advertising. It commisions work, with very little direct production. It was set up under Mrs Thatcher that way, to encourage a diverse array of independent creative producers. This is part of the reason we have such strong creative industries.

Ruth Davidson explains it well:

Channel 4 is publicly owned, not publicly funded. It doesn't cost the tax payer a penny. It also, by charter, commissions content but doesn't make/own its own. It's one of the reasons we have such a thriving indy sector in places like Glasgow. This is the opposite of levelling up

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1511226059370471424?t=lQWh36mFgjJx5t7OBxrpuQ&s=19
  • Options
    NEW: Jeremy Hunt becomes the most senior Tory to criticise plans to privatise Channel 4. The former Culture Secretary: "I'm not in favour of it because as it stands Channel 4 provides competition to the BBC on public service broadcasting."
    https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1511232996468310017
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202
    edited April 2022
    The Harris poll yesterday put Le Pen a clear second in the first round though.

Macron 27.5%
    Le Pen 22%
    Melenchon 15.5%
    Pecresse 10%
    Zemmour 10%

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1511036597570969602?s=20&t=UfR2mbyTWodwepxRFBV-PQ
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1511226059370471424

So why shouldn't it be privatised? That kind of argument could extend to be pretty much every private business in the country.

Feels weird to be more right wing than a Tory on this.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 943
    Heathener said:

Yes, and pretty much all of it covering problems that one personally can do practically nothing to affect or defend against, which makes worrying over it doubly pointless. I was never a news junkie but I cut down a lot during the pandemic because I really didn't need or want the volume and detail of covid coverage that news outlets were pushing; similarly now with Ukraine.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Enjoy your day

Indeed and as someone who lived with rationing cards as a youngster eventually we regained a a quality of life but it took a long time and of course in the 70's we did not have a European war
    We had the Soviet threat, and half of Europe part of their repressive empire; Vietnam; the Arab/Israel War; India/Pakistan; Bangladesh genocide; the start of various civil wars which lasted decades; the Iranian revolution; the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan; the Troubles in NI; and the rise of numerous terrorist organisations.

Hardly a decade of peace.
  • Options
    The inverse if this debate is the nationalisation of ScotRail. Big risk for Sturgeon if it ends up being worse than it was under private ownership (see ferries etc etc).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Life’s crap.
    What I would say from my recent experience is that my brother was given 6 months nearly 10 years ago. These things do eventually come to pass and all you can do is make the most of the time that you have. Deepest sympathies.
    Yes, one of my cousins had very aggressive metastatic breast cancer 7 years ago and given months to live. Still going strong albeit still on chemo. On the other hand could be wrong in the other direction too, so no time to waste. Best wishes.
  • Options
    Channel 4 costs us nothing.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    DavidL said:

One of the oddities of the French system is that many of those standing for President are the usual suspects who have already been rejected by the electorate. In this country leaders of the serious parties tend to get 1 or a maximum of 2 goes before the party looks for a new look or voice. It's like the country is run by half a dozen Liberal Democratic parties.

This makes it quite difficult for new candidates to come forward within the system and candidates often seem to come from new parties or groupings which must have very little in the way of data for canvassing etc. Macron did this spectacularly the last time but I really don't see the likes of Le Pen or Melenchon doing much but causing a block to the new. Zemmour is the new candidate with the new party this time but his brand must surely do no more than damage Le Pen.

I am not a fan of Macron and he is absurdly hostile to the UK but I cannot see anyone that has any kind of a chance of beating him. I did get a bit of a laugh from a column in the Telegraph yesterday indicating that his great drive to relocate finance from London to Paris has so far resulted in the location of just over 7k jobs and Paris remained at 12 in the world as a financial centre whilst London was second to New York. It seemed to me typical of Macron, lots of bluster but very little practical result.

Not likely to keep second spot for long thanks to Brexit. The writing is well and trully on the wall. None of the top 20 fell by as many rating points as London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Financial_Centres_Index

• Options
    Foxy said:

It isn't state funded, it is state owned, funded by advertising. It commisions work, with very little direct production. It was set up under Mrs Thatcher that way, to encourage a diverse array of independent creative producers. This is part of the reason we have such strong creative industries.

Ruth Davidson explains it well:

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1511226059370471424?t=lQWh36mFgjJx5t7OBxrpuQ&s=19
    To me the idea of a TV channel with a schedule etc is becoming increasingly archaic and relatively pointless. I cannot think of a program that I have watched according to a schedule in the last several years other than sport.

If C4 had not been invented when it was it certainly wouldn't exist now where there are a multiplicity of offerings on various platforms but it does exist, it doesn't on the face of it do any harm, it adds a different voice and doesn't cost the public money.

I really cannot see the point in changing something not obviously broken. I think it is doubtful, as channels fade into irrelevance, that it would be capable of providing an additional income stream to a shareholder. It is better that all of its advertising revenue is fed back into programs. This will help it survive for a bit longer but I suspect in at least its current form its future is limited and that income stream will no longer be sufficient. Not exactly an enticing investment.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    In jollier news, one of Fox jr2s girlfriends is a TikTok sensation, with 1.1 million followers at age 20. Anyone know what that means in income? This is her stream:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLQYNBY1/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,537
    edited April 2022

Vox pop video:

That’s always the trouble with these pollsters always hanging around Primrose Hill…
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Vox pop video:

Unfair.
    I think putting them in internment camps was a preferred option.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Vox pop video:

They - or at least it seems the majority - refuse to acknowledge the reality.
    There are too many stories of Ukrainians with Russian relatives, who when they call them are faced with hostile indifference and denial, to think that it's just ignorance.
    It is like they've been conditioned to live in an alternative reality.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Do you suggest that the department of media culture and sport should all switch off the lights until their colleagues at Energy have opened new nuclear power plants?
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

Not likely to keep second spot for long thanks to Brexit. The writing is well and trully on the wall. None of the top 20 fell by as many rating points as London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Financial_Centres_Index

The loss of jobs in London has so far been less than 1% of what was forecast and indeed has not even offset the indiginous growth in difficult economic times.
  • Options
    Exclusive:

Boris Johnson was poised to announce outsourcing of processing of asylum seekers to Rwanda last week but delayed after being told plans were not ready

Times told PM wants to announce trial in coming weeks but faces significant challenges

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/outsourcing-of-migrants-to-rwanda-edges-closer-79xjk6smt
  • Options
    Thread on the furore over conversion therapy:

Why is society's inability to define 'woman' relevant to the furore on conversion therapy legislation? Because once again ordinary, everyday words - 'talking therapies' - are being given new definitions, throwing linguistic obstacles in the way of anyone that spots an issue 1/

https://twitter.com/nmdacosta/status/1511211902843695106
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Jeremy Hunt becomes the most senior Tory to criticise plans to privatise Channel 4. The former Culture Secretary: "I'm not in favour of it because as it stands Channel 4 provides competition to the BBC on public service broadcasting."

Competition on public service broadcasting...

Erm...

Does that mean we need a second NHS?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Harris poll yesterday put Le Pen a clear second in the first round though.

Macron 27.5%
    Le Pen 22%
    Melenchon 15.5%
    Pecresse 10%
    Zemmour 10%

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1511036597570969602?s=20&t=UfR2mbyTWodwepxRFBV-PQ

It is amazing how voters will come out of the woodwork to make sure Le Pen doesn't win. I wouldn't trust the run off polls. Even those who viscerally loathe Macron will vote for him in the second round if Le Pen is the opponent. I don't believe these second round polls can pick that up
  • Options
    It's not just Putin. When large groups of, presumably Russians, demonstrate in support of Russia's brutal war against Ukraine we know the rot in among Russians go far beyond Putin and his small inner circle.

@HannaLiubakova · Apr 3
    An enormous car parade of cars with mostly Russian flags in Berlin, #Germany, today. Reportedly, the parade in support of Russia gathered 5000 cars.

They can't complain about the media blackout in Germany. They have access to information and can see what Russians did in Bucha.

https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1511228584538615813
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Foxy said:

In jollier news, one of Fox jr2s girlfriends is a TikTok sensation, with 1.1 million followers at age 20. Anyone know what that means in income? This is her stream:

"One of her girlfriends"

Chip off the old block, eh?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Vox pop video:

But in that world of change, Roger still stands as a benchmark for something.... 😉
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    My sympathies, Mr. Taz. Sounds very rough.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,505
    edited April 2022
    Foxy said:

This site reckons she could earn ~$2,000 per post, but it also says that tiktok earnings are primarily via partnerships with brands, rather than passive earnings from ads, and the website likely has an interest in being optimistic about the potential for earnings.
  • Options

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Vox pop video:

But in that world of change, Roger still stands as a benchmark for something.... 😉
    Copulation apparently....
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Vox pop video:

Copulation apparently....
    And travel Roger, and travel 😉
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Competition on public service broadcasting...

Erm...

Does that mean we need a second NHS?
    Isn't this how the Israeli health care system works? And is generally quite good?
  • Options
    Guido made me chuckle this morning...

https://order-order.com/2022/04/04/rishi-goes-ape-for-crypto/

If you’re not already familiar the concept Guido doesn’t plan on explaining it here; keep an eye out for Guido’s own NFT coming soon…
This discussion has been closed.