Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Crisis, what crisis? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,038
    BigRich said:

Trying to be an optimist am I being silly in hoping that China has seen how bad invading Ukraine is that they think invading Taiwan will be a hundred times harder and abandon all plans to do so?

I mean Taiwan is much better defended and harder to invade given they have to cross the sea, rather than a border?

Maybe, but Taiwan is much smaller in both space and population and much harder for outside would to help, at least with equipment. amongst other things China will be looking at the cost to Russia in the form of western sanctions. sadly they may be concluding that if Europe will not even stop importing gas from Russia when war Crimes are committed in Europe, then there is no Chace of meaningful sanctions if Taiwan is invaded :(
    On the other hand it isn't flat, open farmland either. It is hugely mountainous with rainforest.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,700

That's not a very nice thing to say TSE. From what I read of your comments on this article and many others it seems I am being insulted by someone with a less than stellar intellect.

Um I think you might be wrong.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,036

I genuinely don't understand why Labour are seen as more trusted on the economy. Since Starmer became leader two years ago they have had nothing to say on the subject and have not announced a single policy designed to control inflation or foster growth.

Because when your rivals are talking sh1te, it’s often best to say nothing.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,675
    edited April 2022
    PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway, I am back up North tomorrow am. I have been a city girl most of my life - Naples, London, Bristol, Paris - with childhood holidays in very rural Ireland. I love cities.

And, yet, I feel trapped in London in a way I have never done before. I look out of the window and see buildings. Even though on the top floor I can see across London to the Surrey hills the view is still of buildings. And my soul dies a little. Everywhere I look out of my home up North I see sea and sky and mountains and valleys so sumptuous in their colours it makes my heart fit to burst. And the bird song. Plus the moon at night and stars, lots of them. I really miss it. I cannot wait to get back.

I never thought I would feel this way. Can people change quite so much? Or maybe I have secretly always been a solitary misanthrope?

There is something about the natural world which my mind, my soul needs, I think, to feel whole. No other way to explain it.

Plus - mad as it is - I love driving by myself. Nothing better than to have the music on very loud - and have some really strong music on to get the blood racing. Just f***ing awesome.

Still in May I shall be speaking at a big conference in London. If you're very good I may tell you about it and you can come and enthusiastically applaud. 😀

What about the Heath and Regents Park? Doesn't that work for you when you're here in NL?
    The Heath does - for a walk. But it's the sense of enclosure which is what is different. I have horizons there. I have always loved being near the sea. In Naples - which is urban to the nth degree - it was a 5 minute walk down to the sea. If I had to end my life I would go into the sea, not bloody Dignitas.

And you can stare at the sea for hours. It is never ever boring.
    I've done *alot* of walking around this country. And whilst I know what you mean, scenery becomes a little boring after a while. The great thing about London is the sheer variety, both in views and the people. This can be seen in (say) a seven-mile walk along the Regents Canal from Mile End to Paddington, seven miles along the Thames Path, or seven miles south from Greenwich.

If you want boring, try walking around Loch Long. Three days just to end up a couple of kilometres from where you began ...
    I agree re London walks. They are interesting. But I never find scenery boring because there is so much to notice - the plants, the trees, the light, the shadows on rocks, the animals etc.

One of the things I was told by an old gardening hand was to walk round your garden every single day and simply look closely. You'd think that there would be no change from day to day but you'd be wrong. And learning how to really see has been a blessing. And once you start doing it there is so much to observe. Partly because of my asthma I rarely walks for long periods without stopping. But also because I am always seeing all sorts of things up close - even the beauty of a gorse bush - or moss or lichen on a stone- or the pattern of a dry stone wall or ferns growing out the ground or a wall.

Honestly I could bore you all for hours about it. Don't worry. I won't.

london walks are great but the air pollution means you benefit a lot more from country walks
    Today I saw this

The oldest life size statue in the world. His obsidian eyes are truly haunting. 12,000 years old. Those eyes looked at me as if to say, You again

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Hungary

Polls close 6pm UK time, TV links below:

https://hirado.hu/elo/m1/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK49GwyksTk

Will add any decent result sites with maps if I find them.

Well done if you got Orban at 1.25 on Betfair for next PM - will be very surprised if Fidesz don't win, still think the current 1.14 is value, anywhere from a comfortable win in seats to outside chance of 2/3 majority maybe, gut feel is 4-5% vote lead for Fidesz although one recent poll was a tie.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Many thanks,

DC

Thanks for the updates @DoubleCarpet, do you know if we are expecting exit polls?
  • Options
    Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway, I am back up North tomorrow am. I have been a city girl most of my life - Naples, London, Bristol, Paris - with childhood holidays in very rural Ireland. I love cities.

And, yet, I feel trapped in London in a way I have never done before. I look out of the window and see buildings. Even though on the top floor I can see across London to the Surrey hills the view is still of buildings. And my soul dies a little. Everywhere I look out of my home up North I see sea and sky and mountains and valleys so sumptuous in their colours it makes my heart fit to burst. And the bird song. Plus the moon at night and stars, lots of them. I really miss it. I cannot wait to get back.

I never thought I would feel this way. Can people change quite so much? Or maybe I have secretly always been a solitary misanthrope?

There is something about the natural world which my mind, my soul needs, I think, to feel whole. No other way to explain it.

Plus - mad as it is - I love driving by myself. Nothing better than to have the music on very loud - and have some really strong music on to get the blood racing. Just f***ing awesome.

Still in May I shall be speaking at a big conference in London. If you're very good I may tell you about it and you can come and enthusiastically applaud. 😀

What about the Heath and Regents Park? Doesn't that work for you when you're here in NL?
    The Heath does - for a walk. But it's the sense of enclosure which is what is different. I have horizons there. I have always loved being near the sea. In Naples - which is urban to the nth degree - it was a 5 minute walk down to the sea. If I had to end my life I would go into the sea, not bloody Dignitas.

I've done *alot* of walking around this country. And whilst I know what you mean, scenery becomes a little boring after a while. The great thing about London is the sheer variety, both in views and the people. This can be seen in (say) a seven-mile walk along the Regents Canal from Mile End to Paddington, seven miles along the Thames Path, or seven miles south from Greenwich.

If you want boring, try walking around Loch Long. Three days just to end up a couple of kilometres from where you began ...
    I agree re London walks. They are interesting. But I never find scenery boring because there is so much to notice - the plants, the trees, the light, the shadows on rocks, the animals etc.

One of the things I was told by an old gardening hand was to walk round your garden every single day and simply look closely. You'd think that there would be no change from day to day but you'd be wrong. And learning how to really see has been a blessing. And once you start doing it there is so much to observe. Partly because of my asthma I rarely walks for long periods without stopping. But also because I am always seeing all sorts of things up close - even the beauty of a gorse bush - or moss or lichen on a stone- or the pattern of a dry stone wall or ferns growing out the ground or a wall.

london walks are great but the air pollution means you benefit a lot more from country walks
    Today I saw this

The oldest life size statue in the world. His obsidian eyes are truly haunting. 12,000 years old. Those eyes looked at me as if to say, You again

That looks like some children's art project I saw back in 2019.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,205

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I was afraid this would start to happen...

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3h
    If the atrocities being reported are verified, and there's evidence they're still being perpetrated, then we need to intervene directly and militarily in Ukraine. Whether a country is part of NATO is irrelevant. We don't stand back and allow the perpetration of genocide.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1510583932722548739

====

How long before national newspapers and broadcasters are demanding something is done.

He seems to have forgotten Rwanda, Syria, much of Bosnia, Cambodia etc where we did very little when genocide was committed.

If a NATO nation is invaded then yes we have to take military action but in terms of Ukraine we just keep sending supplies, we don't go to WW3
    The problem with the argument about "not going to WW3" is that it sets an arbitrary threshold that hands escalation dominance to Putin. Are you going to let him decide what level of support is acceptable?
    No. The red line remains if he invades a NATO nation
    Only an invasion? And the red line for what specifically?
    NATO military response
    Then you're still in a discussion of what kind of response, by whom, what retaliation risks to avoid, etc.
    There are already NATO troops and jets based in Estonia and Latvia as NATO states bordering Russia.

So if Putin invaded those states then at that point we would be at war
    What if Putin struck an airfield as a warning against NATO weapons shipments?
    If he struck an airfield and destroyed NATO planes then obviously NATO would respond in kind with airstrikes on a Russian base
    So just tit for tat? Which NATO member would carry out the retaliation?
    Planes from all of them, as NATO is based on collective defence
    You'd send in bombers from every NATO member in response to a single missile strike? What if not every NATO member agrees with that plan? Which Russian targets would you need that many planes for and how would you defend them?
    Unless every NATO state agrees and is ready to participate in NATO action then NATO is redundant to defend its member states and their armed forces. If Russia bombed NATO jets it should prepare for NATO jets to bomb an airfield with Russian jets.

Otherwise NATO would then collapse and Russia could invade every individual NATO nation in turn. China would also take note of the inability and unwillingness of western nations to defend themselves when looking at Taiwan and the broader Far East
    If you read NATO Article 5, that's not what collective defence is based on.
    It is based on an attack on one NATO ally being an attack on all of them.

So if Russia can bomb NATO jets without response from the collective NATO nations then Putin could invade Estonia and Latvia etc without fear of collective NATO response either. The Baltic states on their own are far easier pickings than Ukraine, much smaller with far less strong militaries
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 943

Trying to be an optimist am I being silly in hoping that China has seen how bad invading Ukraine is that they think invading Taiwan will be a hundred times harder and abandon all plans to do so?

I think if you're the Chinese military establishment you can probably find plenty of supporting material for an argument that this was largely down to Russian military incompetence and lousy equipment and therefore not applicable for any military adventures you'd like to embark on yourself...

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Are we allowed to attend if we only dutifully applaud?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,700
    edited April 2022
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

PaulD said:

Reuters - Ukrainian prosecutors investigating possible war crimes by Russia have found 410 bodies in towns near Kyiv and 140 of them had been examined. Russia denied allegations that its forces killed civilians in the town of Bucha near Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/1510652531290128387

Disgusting behaviour from Putin. There really needs to be a way to find a ceasefire now by any means possible and end this war
    Hmm, not completely sure about that. I want a lot more of these murderers going home in wooden boxes and as much equipment stripped off the Russian army as possible so they can't come back. Allowing the Russians to regroup and rearm might be a major mistake.

Edit, but welcome by the way. New voices always welcome.
    You don’t want them going back in wooden boxes - you want them going back missing limbs as they will be a clear and indisputable “truth” to the Russian people of the cost of the war they support.

If there are 20,000 young men who are visibly ruined by the war it cannot be hidden and also they will be able to tell their families and friends about what they saw and how bad the Russian military really is.

Also injured soldiers use up more resources than dead soldiers along the line….
    That’s why the Azov battalion shot those Russian POWs in the legs. Much more militarily effective than murder
    I seem to remember from the Ken Burns Vietnam doc that whilst the American public were shocked by deaths the effect of seeing the wounded and traumatised soldiers around them every day brought the war home much more viscerally than stats of dead soldiers.

If you are a Russian mother and you see young men come home missing limbs and traumatised in your town and then you look at your son who might get called up then you might start questioning the propaganda.
    Ken Burns documentaries on Vietnam and the American Civil War are excellent.
  • Options
    pm215 said:

I think if you're the Chinese military establishment you can probably find plenty of supporting material for an argument that this was largely down to Russian military incompetence and lousy equipment and therefore not applicable for any military adventures you'd like to embark on yourself...

Bugger.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Hungary

Polls close 6pm UK time, TV links below:

https://hirado.hu/elo/m1/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK49GwyksTk

Will add any decent result sites with maps if I find them.

Well done if you got Orban at 1.25 on Betfair for next PM - will be very surprised if Fidesz don't win, still think the current 1.14 is value, anywhere from a comfortable win in seats to outside chance of 2/3 majority maybe, gut feel is 4-5% vote lead for Fidesz although one recent poll was a tie.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Many thanks,

DC

Thanks for the updates @DoubleCarpet, do you know if we are expecting exit polls?
    Hi so not sure tbh - but watching both channels so will try and post exits if there are any.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

PaulD said:

Reuters - Ukrainian prosecutors investigating possible war crimes by Russia have found 410 bodies in towns near Kyiv and 140 of them had been examined. Russia denied allegations that its forces killed civilians in the town of Bucha near Kyiv.

Disgusting behaviour from Putin. There really needs to be a way to find a ceasefire now by any means possible and end this war
    Hmm, not completely sure about that. I want a lot more of these murderers going home in wooden boxes and as much equipment stripped off the Russian army as possible so they can't come back. Allowing the Russians to regroup and rearm might be a major mistake.

You don’t want them going back in wooden boxes - you want them going back missing limbs as they will be a clear and indisputable “truth” to the Russian people of the cost of the war they support.

If there are 20,000 young men who are visibly ruined by the war it cannot be hidden and also they will be able to tell their families and friends about what they saw and how bad the Russian military really is.

That’s why the Azov battalion shot those Russian POWs in the legs. Much more militarily effective than murder
    Apparently many of the Russian funerals are closed, sealed casket because of the horrific state of the bodies.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,035
    PaulD said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

PaulD said:

yes but these may be ordinary russian conscipts....we have to maintain our sense of morality here
    Absolutely fair point and I feel for the conscripts however from a cold practical perspective it is more likely to help Ukraine if these conscripts are injured and home than dead.

Also probably better for the conscripts.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

That looks beautiful. However my garden is one of a new-build. A walk around it takes a minute, tops, if I don't get strangled by the washing line in the process. I can see well over twenty other rooftops from an upper window.

As it happens, I converse with lots of coastal walkers. I tell the ones who do it sectionally over a number of years that they get more out of it than those of us who do it in one go. They get to choose the season and the weather. And they get to see scenery with fresh eyes. On my walk, after six months it became: "Oh, another nice view. Oh well." I had scenery fatigue. And I was always rushing, rarely stopping.
  • Options

Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Today I saw this

He looks like a terrified footballer protecting his nads before a scary free kick.

Or a kind of vacantly menacing snow-god
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3h
    If the atrocities being reported are verified, and there's evidence they're still being perpetrated, then we need to intervene directly and militarily in Ukraine. Whether a country is part of NATO is irrelevant. We don't stand back and allow the perpetration of genocide.

====

How long before national newspapers and broadcasters are demanding something is done.

He seems to have forgotten Rwanda, Syria, much of Bosnia, Cambodia etc where we did very little when genocide was committed.

If a NATO nation is invaded then yes we have to take military action but in terms of Ukraine we just keep sending supplies, we don't go to WW3
    The problem with the argument about "not going to WW3" is that it sets an arbitrary threshold that hands escalation dominance to Putin. Are you going to let him decide what level of support is acceptable?
    NATO military response
    Then you're still in a discussion of what kind of response, by whom, what retaliation risks to avoid, etc.
    There are already NATO troops and jets based in Estonia and Latvia as NATO states bordering Russia.

If he struck an airfield and destroyed NATO planes then obviously NATO would respond in kind with airstrikes on a Russian base
    You'd send in bombers from every NATO member in response to a single missile strike? What if not every NATO member agrees with that plan? Which Russian targets would you need that many planes for and how would you defend them?
    Unless every NATO state agrees and is ready to participate in NATO action then NATO is redundant to defend its member states and their armed forces. If Russia bombed NATO jets it should prepare for NATO jets to bomb an airfield with Russian jets.

Otherwise NATO would then collapse and Russia could invade every individual NATO nation in turn. China would also take note of the inability and unwillingness of western nations to defend themselves when looking at Taiwan and the broader Far East

So if Russia can bomb NATO jets without response from the collective NATO nations then Putin could invade Estonia and Latvia etc without fear of collective NATO response either. The Baltic states on their own are far easier pickings than Ukraine, much smaller with far less strong militaries
    Invasion of Estonia and Latvia is WW111
  • Options
    FYI - It dawned on me last night that we're coming up to exactly a decade since I did my first ever PB thread.

I might review my greatest hits next month.
  • Options

Looking at the latest appalling images from Ukraine and the verified equipment losses if arms shipments from the West are upped so that Russian air cover is reduced further and the Ukrainians can move men and equipment around reasonably freely then Russia could be heading for cataclysmic battlefield defeat.

Not if Germany has its way.....
    This from Illia Ponomarenko, The Kyiv Independent:

"I am now facing an interview no sane human being would easily wish to have.
    And I am horrified by the fact I will have to write it down. Word by word."

Can't imagine who he is interviewing, but I can imagine about what. Some of these journalists are going to need serious counseling once this is over.
  • Options

FYI - It dawned on me last night that we're coming up to exactly a decade since I did my first ever PB thread.

You do know that Vanilla has a minimum post size limit? ;)
  • Options
    I tempted to apply...

BBC bosses have readvertised the job of political editor after being unhappy with the choice of candidates to replace Laura Kuenssberg in one of the most influential roles in British journalism.

Following weeks of interviews and an extensive recruitment process, the corporation had produced an all-female shortlist for the role, with ITV News’s Anushka Asthana and Sky News’s Sophy Ridge believed to be the final two candidates. An announcement on which of them would get the job had been expected to coincide with Kuenssberg stepping down last week.

Instead, the BBC political correspondent Chris Mason is now the favourite to land the role after bosses quietly began inviting fresh applications for the job. The recruitment page for the role of political editor has been reopened until Tuesday, although there has been no acknowledgement of this from senior staff or formal announcement from the BBC encouraging fresh applications.

Mason is widely liked across the BBC but one media industry executive pointed out the BBC could be about to reject “an all-female shortlist of brilliant women” in favour of a man.

Reopening applications will allow Mason to send in his CV – but will also make it possible for anyone else to apply and is a public sign that executives are not content with the existing range of candidates. In recent days, there had been speculation that BBC executives were unhappy with the process and were seeking other candidates for the role.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/apr/03/chris-mason-favourite-to-be-bbc-political-editor-as-job-readvertised
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3h

====

NATO military response

BigG - I hope your 50k post is going to be a good one! Reveal how you have secretly been a Corbynite all along. Or how you're secretly another SeanT clone. Or how you're really into skydiving bondage with anyone you meet in the air... :)
  • Options

pm215 said:

Bugger.
    I’m very much hoping that the US or others have a very very effective anti-ship missile they can give the Ukrainians which starts taking out Black Sea fleet ships very publicly as that is the sort of thing that really will make the Chinese have to consider invading Taiwan very carefully.

If Star Streak and their like have major success against AirPower and ships are very vulnerable (and we know that tanks are looking near obsolete thanks to NLAW and co now) then it potentially changes all war in favour of defenders for a while at least.
  • Options
    PaulD said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

PaulD said:

yes but these may be ordinary russian conscipts....we have to maintain our sense of morality here
    But there armed any conscripts in Ukraine Putin has told us that. (as if we could believe a word that lying pies of Sh*t says)

I think most if not all people would rather go back missing a leg that in a body bag, so wishing that the enemy is wended instead of killed is hardly a show if pore Morality.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but we have had a few Putin trolls on here, so do you mind me asking in your own words can you describe Putin?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

PaulD said:

I seem to remember from the Ken Burns Vietnam doc that whilst the American public were shocked by deaths the effect of seeing the wounded and traumatised soldiers around them every day brought the war home much more viscerally than stats of dead soldiers.

If you are a Russian mother and you see young men come home missing limbs and traumatised in your town and then you look at your son who might get called up then you might start questioning the propaganda.
    There were earlier reports that many of the Russian soldiers had suffered frostbite. That is a lifelong reminder - and if on the hands, a visible reminder - to those around you that you went to Ukraine. And given the atrocities committed there, a stark warning of perhaps what you are capable of.

Best left well alone....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487
    edited April 2022
    boulay said:

Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Today I saw this

I’m surprised he has the time to do his human statue act when he’s busy with Wagner Group in Ukraine…..[image deleted]
    A most unfair comparison.

One is something creepy, inhuman and pure stone that haunts all our nightmares.

The other is a very interesting antique statue.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,794

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

It's not possible to get from Scotland to Ireland without going through Northern Ireland

Via Holyhead ?
    I was wrong.
    Careful, PB is not the place for admitting mistakes... :D
    I did no such thing, arsehole.

Better?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,208

Looking at the latest appalling images from Ukraine and the verified equipment losses if arms shipments from the West are upped so that Russian air cover is reduced further and the Ukrainians can move men and equipment around reasonably freely then Russia could be heading for cataclysmic battlefield defeat.

Western unity is overrated. We shouldn't limit our foreign policy based on the lowest common denominator.
  • Options
    Tweet apparently from leaked Russian casualty report:

Inside 📍
    - excerpt from the internal report in the Russian Federation on the morning of April 2:
    "Irretrievable ☠️ military-operational losses of manpower of personnel
    Armed Forces of the Russian Federation - 17,549 people.
    PMC - 5,366 people.
    The total loss of manpower of the personnel of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation and Russian PMCs is 22,915 people"

https://twitter.com/avakovarsen/status/1510185195756007425?s=21&t=lTNLXSqEvJ2lbnr0wHFkfQ

Of course, it is hard to tell what is real and what is propaganda.
  • Options

You could do it before 6pm today
  • Options
    PaulDPaulD Posts: 51
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Today I saw this

I’m surprised he has the time to do his human statue act when he’s busy with Wagner Group in Ukraine…..[image deleted]

oh come on he would be a good neighbour...he would scare any criminals away
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,131
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps Rishi should book a summer holiday in a b and b in Skegness, Southend, Scarborough, Margate or Blackpool. Then he can try and restore his man of the people image as the cost of living rises after the damage of his Easter break in his multi million dollar California apartment

But the real question that raises is why are Blackpool and Skegness the punchline of a joke on PB rather than thriving coastal resorts?
    Last few years I've spent one long weekend per year in Blackpool.

Staying at The Imperial is great for political geeks, last time my suite was the same suite that President Clinton had stayed in.

Took the other half up the Blackpool tower, there's a Sealife, and you cannot beat walking down the promenade whilst eating candy floss and phallic and breast shaped sweets.

I heartily recommend a break in Blackpool, had a great meal in the White Tower.
    On a clear day I can see Blackpool Tower from my window.
    This story will make you chuckle, where do Barclays find these people?

CS Venkatakrishnan is not a typical, cocksure chief executive of a major international bank. Popular with staff, he sports sober, dark suits, likes consensus – and is said to be genial and more low-key than his predecessor, Jes Staley.

The Indian native, known internally as Venkat, was thrust into the top job at Barclays following Staley’s sudden resignation in November over his ties to the late convicted paedophile and Wall Street financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Venkat was regarded as a safe pair of hands. He was promoted from chief risk officer, a role held since 2016 at the British lender, which he joined after more than two decades as a risk specialist at JP Morgan in New York.

But after a quiet first five months in the job, Barclays was once again propelled into the spotlight for all of the wrong reasons last week, causing shares to slump and shareholders to raise concerns.

On Monday, the bank revealed it was facing a £450m hit and a regulatory investigation after it mishandled the sale of basic trading products in the US. And to make matters worse, the error occurred while Venkat was managing the bank’s risk.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/04/03/going-barclays-latest-scandal-sparks-fresh-concern/
    Barclays has always been an odd bank - the sober Quaker bank mixed up with a bunch of utterly amoral risk taking loons.

Some of the stories I have heard about the sale of iShares are horrific
  • Options

I tempted to apply...

BBC bosses have readvertised the job of political editor after being unhappy with the choice of candidates to replace Laura Kuenssberg in one of the most influential roles in British journalism.

Following weeks of interviews and an extensive recruitment process, the corporation had produced an all-female shortlist for the role, with ITV News’s Anushka Asthana and Sky News’s Sophy Ridge believed to be the final two candidates. An announcement on which of them would get the job had been expected to coincide with Kuenssberg stepping down last week.

Instead, the BBC political correspondent Chris Mason is now the favourite to land the role after bosses quietly began inviting fresh applications for the job. The recruitment page for the role of political editor has been reopened until Tuesday, although there has been no acknowledgement of this from senior staff or formal announcement from the BBC encouraging fresh applications.

Mason is widely liked across the BBC but one media industry executive pointed out the BBC could be about to reject “an all-female shortlist of brilliant women” in favour of a man.

Reopening applications will allow Mason to send in his CV – but will also make it possible for anyone else to apply and is a public sign that executives are not content with the existing range of candidates. In recent days, there had been speculation that BBC executives were unhappy with the process and were seeking other candidates for the role.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/apr/03/chris-mason-favourite-to-be-bbc-political-editor-as-job-readvertised

"Mason is widely liked across the BBC but one media industry executive pointed out the BBC could be about to reject “an all-female shortlist of brilliant women” in favour of a man."

Why should that be an issue if he is a "brilliant man"?

Laura K has just had the job. Is it to become a female fiefdom?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/rebuild-our-cities
    Interesting article by a fella called Sean Thomas in the Speccie on urbanism. Strangely redolent of what we were talking about on here a week or two back.
    FWIW (/self-aggrandisment mode on/) I know a but about this sort of thing and agree with pretty much all of it. Apart from the bit about Newcastle being rainy. It's actually a comparatively dry city. In a rain shadow.

Precisely because Britain stood firm against Hitler, Britain took the full force of Hitler’s bombers. Contrast with France, which briskly surrendered, and thus escaped with many of its cities unscathed (this is one reason French urbanism seems so enviably gracious today).

I bet he got the Speccie readership standing up and saluting with that bit.
    I was in Normandy recently where every major city and town was flattened by by bombs - American and British bombs - with huge loss of life. The official narrative is that these unfortunate but heroic people made the sacrifice for France. But that explanation seems very glib.
    On the architectural point, the rebuilding of Le Havre is inspiring . There was nothing left of the city after the War. The government decided to use France's allocation of Marshall Aid to rebuild in a modernist style - concrete blocks and walkways as got such a bad reputation here after the 1960's. But because the architect Auguste Perret focused on making the dwellings light, spacious, comfortable and habitable, these are very desirable flats. The authorities also took the decision to make them a consistent size and quality, replacing what previously a mixture of large villas and cramped slums.

They still look horrible, even with a blue sky and sunshine. In the rain, I suspect they look even worse.
    I agree the photos don't do it justice - that's one of the better ones. Le Havre is actually quite nice when you're there, and different from other cities. Perhaps we are conditioned by too much bad brutalist architecture, but this is a lot more human.
    We landed in Bremerhaven on a cruise a few years ago. It wasn’t as bad as Cumbernauld, but we found the hauptbahnhof and jumped on the first train to Bremen. Le Havre reminded me of Bremerhaven.
  • Options
    PaulD said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Today I saw this

oh come on he would be a good neighbour...he would scare any criminals away
    The statue or the Nazi?
  • Options
    probably best solution in war now is some sort of ceasefire and negotiated settlement which gives Putin a win he can sell to the Russians. We then keep sanctions in place and try to slowly strangle his regime
  • Options
    TimT said:

Inside 📍
    - excerpt from the internal report in the Russian Federation on the morning of April 2:
    PMC - 5,366 people.
    The total loss of manpower of the personnel of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation and Russian PMCs is 22,915 people"

https://twitter.com/avakovarsen/status/1510185195756007425?s=21&t=lTNLXSqEvJ2lbnr0wHFkfQ

If it is correct, I think Ukraine have been undercounting.....
  • Options
    Farooq said:

It's not possible to get from Scotland to Ireland without going through Northern Ireland

Except by travelling via England, and possibly Wales. No need to travel via Essex, though!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,425
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Via Holyhead ?
    I was wrong.
    Careful, PB is not the place for admitting mistakes... :D
    I did no such thing, arsehole.

Better?
    Now that’s the spirit!
  • Options
    Disestablishment now.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

I tempted to apply...

I wonder if Isabel Hardman would be considered an option? Or whether she would fancy it. She comes across as completely non-ideological. Someone who just tells you what is going on.

The fact such a plum role is short of applicants rather sadly tells its own story. Did the BBC initially insist on an all woman shortlist?
  • Options
    PaulD said:

probably best solution in war now is some sort of ceasefire and negotiated settlement which gives Putin a win he can sell to the Russians. We then keep sanctions in place and try to slowly strangle his regime

That's tempting, but the problem is a 'win' he can sell would just mean round three or four (depending how you count Donbass/Crimea) in a few years.

It's the sort of appeasement that we've done with his regime time after time, from Georgia through Syria and Crimea to Salisbury. And each time he gets harder to deal with.
  • Options
    Ok so doesn't look like any exit polls, turnout appears to be 63% nationwide and 67% in Budapest (which presumably will be strong for the opposition).
  • Options
    TimT said:

Inside 📍
    PMC - 5,366 people.

It sounds in like with Ukrainian estimates, and I am incline to believe it.

worth noting that apart form the PMC there are also 2 allied army's of the 2 breakaway regens in the Donbass, who hade 14,000 and 20,000 personnel as the start, and seem to have lost a lot, as they have now increased to conscription age to 60. possible that they are incorporated in to the PMC total, but I expect not.
  • Options

Disestablishment now.

Well, if you want to 'break Fascism's backbone' bloody get on with it buster. The sooner you snap Putin in half the better.
  • Options

I tempted to apply...

I wonder if Isabel Hardman would be considered an option? Or whether she would fancy it. She comes across as completely non-ideological. Someone who just tells you what is going on.

The fact such a plum role is short of applicants rather sadly tells its own story. Did the BBC initially insist on an all woman shortlist?
    One scandalous theory is that choosing attractive women for the role exploits the ego of male politicians and gets them to talk to said women.
  • Options

Disestablishment now.

Rubbish. I have zero problems with people talking: especially if it means it might divert people away from an evil course.
  • Options

PaulD said:

That's tempting, but the problem is a 'win' he can sell would just mean round three or four (depending how you count Donbass/Crimea) in a few years.

It's the sort of appeasement that we've done with his regime time after time, from Georgia through Syria and Crimea to Salisbury. And each time he gets harder to deal with.
    ok waht do you suggest Putin is maddog crazy and whilst russians arent doing well they could still dig in and do massive damage to ukraine and indiscriminately slaughter the male population of ukraine. What would you do
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

That looks beautiful. However my garden is one of a new-build. A walk around it takes a minute, tops, if I don't get strangled by the washing line in the process. I can see well over twenty other rooftops from an upper window.

As it happens, I converse with lots of coastal walkers. I tell the ones who do it sectionally over a number of years that they get more out of it than those of us who do it in one go. They get to choose the season and the weather. And they get to see scenery with fresh eyes. On my walk, after six months it became: "Oh, another nice view. Oh well." I had scenery fatigue. And I was always rushing, rarely stopping.
    There's your mistake, right there. "Rushing, rarely stopping."

Anyway, I am willing to come and design and plant a child and washing-line friendly garden for you, which will provide plenty for you to look at, as you sit there. And your young man.

You're near Cambridge, no - so you can have a Beth Chatto style garden - ones with plenty of ground cover plants, that don't mind being trampled on, and that don't need watering. I love the style and I've adapted it for the green roof on top of my bin and wood store.
  • Options

Ok so doesn't look like any exit polls, turnout appears to be 63% nationwide and 67% in Budapest (which presumably will be strong for the opposition).

Thanks, and yes higher tern out in capital should be good for opposition, but do we know what it was last time? i.e. if the capital had 80% tern out last time and has dropped to 67% then maybe its not such a good omen for the oppression.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Disestablishment now.

An Old Etonian Disability Act would do more good in a broader range of areas
  • Options

I tempted to apply...

IIRC she has some mental health issues and the fact she's married to an ex Labour MP who left the party because of Corbyn might lead to more abuse which isn't good for her.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3h

====

NATO military response

BigG - I hope your 50k post is going to be a good one! Reveal how you have secretly been a Corbynite all along. Or how you're secretly another SeanT clone. Or how you're really into skydiving bondage with anyone you meet in the air... :)
    It was 2014 when I nervously wrote my initial posts and since then I decided to try to contribute as honestly as possible, and of course got involved in lots of controversial discussions, but I would just say that this site is a credit to those who administer it and give so much time to it

My wife is enormously grateful as it provides her with so much peace as I am otherwise engaged, and she said the other day it was a shame I had not discovered it before 2014

And to all posters across the political divide I am grateful for the interaction even if sometimes it is a bit feisty but there is a common theme of how kind we are to each other when one of us encounters difficult or serious issues..

Here's to 100,000
    Is this the Oscars? Don't slap anyone.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,638
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

The idea that someone could look at Russia right now and say "hmm, maybe what's needed is a dictator" boggles me. It's the stupidest thing I've read on here (and I was here for when HYUFD claimed that you couldn't get from London to Cambridge without entering Essex).

The M11, the main road route from London to Cambridge, goes through Essex
    The A10 does not.

So you can choose to go into Essex or not. Literally nobody thinks you can't possibly go through Essex, and only one person, you, thinks you HAVE to.
    When Samuel Pepys went from London to Cambridge, a favorite journey for him, he almost always went one of the Hertfordshire routes, which had a number of alternatives. Curiously he never chose the M11, though on one occasions he diverted to Audley End, near Saffron Walden in Essex. And IIRC once via Epping Forest.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,659
    edited April 2022

Disestablishment now.

Rubbish. I have zero problems with people talking: especially if it means it might divert people away from an evil course.
    IIRC alongside Iran and The Vatican we're the only nations to have unelected clergy in our parliament.

I find that very scary and undemocratic.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway, I am willing to come and design and plant a child and washing-line friendly garden for you, which will provide plenty for you to look at, as you sit there. And your young man.

You're near Cambridge, no - so you can have a Beth Chatto style garden - ones with plenty of ground cover plants, that don't mind being trampled on, and that don't need watering. I love the style and I've adapted it for the green roof on top of my bin and wood store.
    i would hate living in cambridge...surrounded by the most boring countryside in the entire UK
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1510621810936721415

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    Europe has a big problem.

There is a fifth column among us in Germany.

Nearly 2.5 million Russian-Germans returned to Germany after the fall of the USSR in 1991.

Today, they gathered in Berlin to wave Russian, Soviet Union and “Z symbol”- flags.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3h

====

NATO military response

It was 2014 when I nervously wrote my initial posts and since then I decided to try to contribute as honestly as possible, and of course got involved in lots of controversial discussions, but I would just say that this site is a credit to those who administer it and give so much time to it

My wife is enormously grateful as it provides her with so much peace as I am otherwise engaged, and she said the other day it was a shame I had not discovered it before 2014

And to all posters across the political divide I am grateful for the interaction even if sometimes it is a bit feisty but there is a common theme of how kind we are to each other when one of us encounters difficult or serious issues..

Here's to 100,000
    That's a wonderful sentiment for you 50,000 posts.

From a commenter who is not even at 10% of your total, can I say I do like reading your thoughts/posts
  • Options
    TimT said:

Can't imagine who he is interviewing, but I can imagine about what. Some of these journalists are going to need serious counseling once this is over.
    The url says it all - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bodies-of-mutilated-children-among-horrors-the-russians-left-behind-5ddnkkwp2
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks, sounds interesting. A couple of years ago I asked for a quote for a new patio, beds and turf to be laid. Three grand.

f that for a load of soldiers. I'd do it myself, but there are two manholes on the patio, and they'd be a job to cut out with an angle grinder.

As for 'rushing, rarely stopping'; that's what I mean. I walked 6,200 miles around the coast in a little under a year. You just don't get to see as much as those who so it in sections, or don't average 18 miles a day. Someone like Ruth Livingstone has a much better idea:

https://coastalwalker.co.uk/author/ruthl/

Before the little 'un came along I'd go back and do sections, savouring it more. A much better way of doing it, but less challenging.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Disestablishment now.

An Old Etonian Disability Act would do more good in a broader range of areas
    Indeed. It’s not just Welby and Ben Elliot, the Russians get their claws in young…..!

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,179
    Telegraph
    At least two Russian soldiers died and nearly three dozen were taken to intensive care after eating poisoned pastries offered by Ukrainian villagers, Ukraine’s intelligence said on Sunday.

Residents of a village near the town of Izyum reportedly "treated" the troops of Russia's 3rd Motor Rifle infantry division to the traditional "pirozhki", which resemble a Cornish pastry, laced with an unknown poison.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Disestablishment now.

There are no formal links, the Russian Orthodox Church is not in the Anglican communion is it. It is not formally linked to the main Orthodox Church either after Kyrill cut links with the Patriarch of Constantinople.

In any case Welby told Kyrill of his ‘grave concerns’ over the Russian action only last month. Compare that to the leaders of China, South Africa, Syria, Pakistan, India etc none of whom have expressed any concern or criticism over Putin’s action
  • Options
    🌾🌳🌹| NEW: COUNTRYSIDE Westminster Voting Intention

🌳CON: 38% (-8)🌹LAB: 36% (+7)

Areas surveyed: Cornwall, Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Norfolk and Gwynedd.

via,@Survation• changes w/GE.2019

This is very promising.

RIP Tories
  • Options
    PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

i would hate living in cambridge...surrounded by the most boring countryside in the entire UK
    I love the Fens. Beautiful scenery, and surprisingly bleak in places. Then again, I love bog-trotting through the Dark Peak, and I know other walkers who hate the moors.

Incidentally, my parents live near Derby. My house, just eight miles from Cambridge, is at a higher altitude than the centre of Derby (203 foot cf 187 foot). People are surprised by that. :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,524
    Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Today I saw this

I'm willing to bet there are even older artefacts awaiting discovery on the sunken Sunda Shelf (Sundaland) in SE Asia.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Telegraph
    At least two Russian soldiers died and nearly three dozen were taken to intensive care after eating poisoned pastries offered by Ukrainian villagers, Ukraine’s intelligence said on Sunday.

Residents of a village near the town of Izyum reportedly "treated" the troops of Russia's 3rd Motor Rifle infantry division to the traditional "pirozhki", which resemble a Cornish pastry, laced with an unknown poison.

lol thats a good one
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

PaulD said:

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. Great anti war song.
  • Options

Disestablishment now.

IIRC alongside Iran and The Vatican we're the only nations to have unelected clergy in our parliament.

I don’t know, I thought we were supposed to be in favour of more men in dresses in public life? I don’t know what Transubstantiation means but it sounds like something JK Rowling wouldn’t like and they’re all for it so I say “more”.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Telegraph

Who knows what they Putin?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

The idea that someone could look at Russia right now and say "hmm, maybe what's needed is a dictator" boggles me. It's the stupidest thing I've read on here (and I was here for when HYUFD claimed that you couldn't get from London to Cambridge without entering Essex).

The M11, the main road route from London to Cambridge, goes through Essex
    The A10 does not.

So you can choose to go into Essex or not. Literally nobody thinks you can't possibly go through Essex, and only one person, you, thinks you HAVE to.
    When Samuel Pepys went from London to Cambridge, a favorite journey for him, he almost always went one of the Hertfordshire routes, which had a number of alternatives. Curiously he never chose the M11, though on one occasions he diverted to Audley End, near Saffron Walden in Essex. And IIRC once via Epping Forest.

He actually stayed in Epping on one such journey, as he notes in his diaries

• Options
    How you feeling @HYUFD
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,051
    PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Oh, I don't know. The fens are lovely, and hillwalkers can manage the traverse of the Gog Magog range in a day.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Telegraph

In WW2, the Poles got into an SS supply bakery and poisoned the bread, reportedly killing 1,000.

What goes around comes around.
  • Options

Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Today I saw this

He is quite obviously umpiring a cricket match. The roots of English sport are deep
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,179

geoffw said:

Telegraph

In WW2, the Poles got into an SS supply bakery and poisoned the bread, reportedly killing 1,000.

I'm guessing Putin has his food pre-tasted.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

TimT said:

The url says it all - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bodies-of-mutilated-children-among-horrors-the-russians-left-behind-5ddnkkwp2

The mutilations are way too disturbing.

Is this an army out of control, or have they been guided to atrocities so as to provoke the west? Ditto the rape-murders reported yesterday

This is not the Red Army wreaking understandable (if terrible) revenge on Hitler’s Germany

I am haunted by this passage in a CNN article yesterday

"I have been trying to make sense of this for a month, because as terrible as Putin is, you could never say he was illogical," says Peter T. DeSimone, an associate professor of Russian and Eastern European history at Utica University in New York.

"All of this is illogical, and that's the scary thing," he says. "This is not normal for what he's done in the past. This is something that makes no sense on many levels, and not just in regard to World War II."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/02/world/putin-invasion-mistakes-hitler-blake-cec/index.html

It feels like Russia, under its leader, has entered some kind of psychosis. Akin to Hitlerism
  • Options

geoffw said:

Telegraph

or, theyhave read The Gun by C S Forester
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Oh, I don't know. The fens are lovely, and hillwalkers can manage the traverse of the Gog Magog range in a day.
    I once walked the Roman Road from Cambridge to Haverhill in deep snow, passing the Gog Magogs.

The Gog Magogs are also where I introduced Mrs J to the undoubted joys of trig pillars... ;)
  • Options

Disestablishment now.

The bishops are less than 5% of the Lords and they also have a higher percentage of Oxbridge degrees than other peers and MPs do.

Most of them have done parish ministry at some time as well, rooted in the problems of local communities. They are educated and experienced and the type of people we need in the Lords, certainly not more ex politicians and wealthy party donors who increasingly make up the rest of the Lords now
  • Options

I tempted to apply...

"Mason is widely liked across the BBC but one media industry executive pointed out the BBC could be about to reject “an all-female shortlist of brilliant women” in favour of a man."

Do they want a woman who knows how to ask questions?

😉
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373

HYUFD said:

Is there a third place row-off for the teams that Oxford and Cambridge beat in the semifinals?

You mean there are other universities?
    Hull, for a start...
    Love a blackadder reference
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443

pm215 said:

Bugger.
    Don’t worry. No one sane would contemplate invading Taiwan without taking out the US carriers first. And no one sane would attempt that.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24

Nearly 2.5 million Russian-Germans returned to Germany after the fall of the USSR in 1991.

Today, they gathered in Berlin to wave Russian, Soviet Union and “Z symbol”- flags.

All 2.5 million? Man, that was some demo....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Telegraph

Who knows what they Putin?
    Sounds as dangerous as the cooking of my ex mother-NLAW.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Is there a third place row-off for the teams that Oxford and Cambridge beat in the semifinals?

You mean there are other universities?
    Hull, for a start...
    Love a blackadder reference
    Sadly it’s all I’ve got.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,051
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

Disestablishment now.

The bishops are less than 5% of the Lords and they also have a higher percentage of Oxbridge degrees than other peers and MPs do.

Most of them have done parish ministry at some time as well, rooted in the problems of local communities. They are educated and experienced and the type of people we need in the Lords, certainly not more ex politicians and wealthy party donors who increasingly make up the rest of the Lords now
    Even so, it is, erm, eccentric by 21st century standards to have members of only one privileged sect of one religion given automatic seats.

Bleating about what C of E priests have or have not done doesn't negate the point that other priests, and ministers, Quaker meeting secretaries, imams, etc., also deal with such matters. So the C of E is not specially privileged in that sense.

Edit: And we need fewer, not more, Oxbridge graduates in Parliament, in both houses.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,524
    HYUFD said:

Disestablishment now.

House of Lords = House of Unelected Has-Beens!
  • Options
    darkage said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24

Interesting, and sad, do we know weather its the same people?

I did know about the large number of ethnic Russians that had lived in the USSR who came back to Germany, some are the descendants of Amish and Mennonite to came to Russia in the time of 'Catherin the Great' who wished to bring what where at the time 'modern farming methods to Russia, and was willing to offer them exemption form military conscription, which as passivists the Mennonites wanted.

but are the pro-Russia protesters just neo-communist and alt-Right pro Putin idiots? or the same people that ones lived in Russia?
  • Options
    darkage said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24

Apparently similar demos in Cyprus and Slovenia. Trouble brews….
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,033

Disestablishment now.

That was John Sentamu's position when asked about the possible expulsion of the Russian Orthodox church from the World Council of Churches today. As an atheist I have little time for these things but I do have a huge amount of time for John Sentamu. I think he might be wrong on this particular point but I hope it is I who am wrong.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Disestablishment now.

House of Lords = House of Unelected Has-Beens!
    They are only there because of who their Fava was.
  • Options

I tempted to apply...

They have been trying to find someone of the same quality as Laura Kuenssberg, but sadly, no other journalists are as bad.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I tempted to apply...

Do they want a woman who knows how to ask questions?

😉
    There's the licence fee, right there! 😆
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Disestablishment now.

Even so, it is, erm, eccentric by 21st century standards to have members of only one privileged sect of one religion given automatic seats.

Bleating about what C of E priests have or have not done doesn't negate the point that other priests, and ministers, Quaker meeting secretaries, imams, etc., also deal with such matters. So the C of E is not specially privileged in that sense.

Edit: And we need fewer, not more, Oxbridge graduates in Parliament, in both houses.
    No it isn’t. The Bishops have been in the Lords since the Middle Ages. They represent the established church. The moment they are removed the main established church in the UK would revert to the Vatican and the Pope.

Quakers and Protestant evangelicals are not part of an established church like the Church of England and Roman Catholic Church are. In Iran where Muslims are a majority clerics are also represented in the legislature. No reason we cannot have a few other religious leaders in the Lords as we have Rabbis already but the Bishops must remain there
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

PaulD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Today I saw this

He is quite obviously umpiring a cricket match. The roots of English sport are deep
    Quite clearly indicating that one was outside off at point of contact wherever it was spinning.
This discussion has been closed.