Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It is hard to see Starmer emulating Heath’s GE1970 performance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I found the 12 foot high, 13,000 year old penises carved from the living bedrock, stared at by a giant head with a snake’s neck

These look like supports for a long vanished wooden floor to me.
    Yes, that is the guess. Though they are also definitely phallic

It seems all the enclosures were - probably - lightly roofed (for shade from the burning desert sun) by wicker/wooden roofs

In Enclose AB at Karahan Tepe (see, I’m getting technical) the great hall was supported by two central pillars 6 metres high, the main.pillars for a conical or tent like roof

Six metres high! It would have been like a mini cathedral…… in 10,000 BC. With numerous side chapels, shrines, altars, statues in niches, leopard skins, dangling human skulls….
    I think your flint knapping is getting to you. The reason they are wider at the top is that there is a broader surface to put the beams on. Still seriously impressive carving for 13k years ago, mind you.
    No, honestly, you’re totally wrong. Every archaeologist working on this accepts that they are phallic.”
    'What a load of willies. Big Ben? Every hour it goes Bong. Nelson's column? Pah. It is Nelson's willy. A huge massive private part that calls to the air penetrating the skies ... a phenomenally large willy.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6ts_O7Jno

• StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Scotland

SNP 56%
    Con 17%
    Lab 13%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 3%
    LD 3%

Propensity to cast a vote - Absolutely certain to vote (10/10):

Scotland 67%
    London 61%
    Rest of South 50%
    Midlands and Wales 50%
    North 50%

(YouGov / The Times; Sample Size: 2,006; Fieldwork: 29-30 March 2022)

This points to the huge challenge facing Ross, when the next election takes place. The GE2007 outcome remains the biggest Scottish general election shock in modern times.

In the betting a SCon FM is currently rated at a 5% chance, which in my view is far too high.

I agree, I would say the Tories have a ceiling of about 35-40 seats (even if they gain some extra constituency seats next time in South and NE regions). The only way the SNP can be removed from office would be for the SNP and Greens to lose their majority, Slab to come at least a joint (distant) 2nd in MSPs and then SCons and SLDs to vote Sarwar as FM although that is only perhaps a 15-25% chance.

I still think the local elections could be quite interesting and Slab needs to come 2nd at least in seats and ideally win in Glasgow to change the narrative although I also expect the SCon vote to be surprisingly resilient outside of Edinburgh.
    Sarwar is 16/1 to be next FM, so if you think he has a 15-25% chance that looks like value. How much have you got on?
    edited April 2022

Heathener said:

kjh said:

you can never admit you are wrong even on trivia?

It's a problem on here generally though from what I've seen HY does take it to another level.

Admitting you are wrong, as every single person is and should be sometimes (it's a betting site ffs!!!), would help make the place slightly happier. Even more so if people accepted a sincere mea culpa moment.

And, yes, I got the invasion totally wrong - whatever the reasons.
    Did you get the autumn lockdowns wrong too?
    Nope

Let's not go there. We have differences of opinion over handling covid, strongly held.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Leon said:

As we drove across the desert, the chief archaeologist of the Tepes, Necmi Karul, “Oh I must show you this, we discovered it a few weeks ago”. A little Arab village where walls are casually supported by 12,000 year old megaliths and, in 1 lumber room, they found one of the oldest raised rock friezes on the planet. As you do

This was all found in the last few WEEKS

Turkey is an amazing place archaeologically.

My m-i-l was a child post-war in southern Turkey. She would dig in their garden, and around the place, and find Roman coins. This was unremarkable, and the coins would be traded. They still have some. (Her uncle taught her to fish with explosives. This was also unremarkable...)

When I first knew her, Mrs J said she wished Turkey had a 'Time Team'-style program, as many in the country did not realise the (non-monetary) value of the archaeology. You should pitch it - I can imagine you in a Phil Harding hat knapping flint on TV...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    HYUFD said:

Ted Heath was the greatest PM outside of my lifetime, his finest achievest, correctly placing Middlesbrough outside of Yorkshire.

I fear we will never see his like again.

LOL. Time to replace your icon photo then? Looks like Baldwin to me.
    Baldwin was also awesome.

Like all good Tories he helped oust a Monarch. #HeirToCromwell
    He replaced a Monarch with his brother, a far better Monarch to be our head of state in WW2
    On a point of grammar Hyufd, Baldwin did not replace a monarch with his brother. He replaced a monarch with *the monarch's* brother.
    HYUFD said:

I'm fairly certain Prince Andrew is a secret republican, ditto the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge given their recent tour.

The Cambridges recent tour was fine apart from republicans driving an agenda.
    Lol
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,049
    edited April 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Caught out by new thread. In reply to @HYUFD:

No I call you a fascist because you want to censor the free press for an article where the author used a word that is part of his own language but you disapprove and therefore should be banned. A typical stance of a fascist. Also because:

- You think Russia is democratic
    - You approve of Pinochet
    - You would put down an unofficial referendum with troops
    - You would nuke a country without nuclear weapons.
    - You openly don't feel the views of a losing side in an election should be considered ignoring the respected view that Governments govern for all.

The list goes on. Your views are that of a typical fascist and not of a Tory, which can be seen by the fact that not a single Tory here supports your views.

No.

You call me a fascist because you are a pompous, tedious Liberal bore who now resorts to abuse against anyone who does not share their mindset!

Thatcher herself approved of Pinochet's support in the Falklands War, the Tory UK government's official policy is to continue to refuse indyref2.

Name me one Labour government where most Tory voters were happy with it or one Tory government where most Labour voters were happy with it?

Despite the Tories still polling around 35% you can count the number of still Tory voting Boris supporters on here on 1 hand. That means very little. However still most of them do not call me and others like me 'fascist' like you just have!
    Firstly others have.

Re your comments on Thatcher and Indy ref I agree.

It was necessary in the Falkland war, that doesn't mean you have to support Pinochet. Did you? Your comments the other day implied you did.

Re Indy ref there is a difference between not supporting a referendum and threatening troops.

I don't call you a fascist for supporting Johnson, I call you a fascist because of your beliefs. Boris is not a fascist, but you are.

You are also exceptionally authoritarian, another trait.

Does it not cross your mind that your views are different to every Tory on this site. I am closer to all of them than you.
    Where have I said send troops into Scotland to occupy it? Controlling riots a la the non Fascist Spanish government in Catalonia when indyref2 is refused is a different matter.

I did not make any comments supporting Pinochet's domestic policy, just his support in the Falklands War, so wrong on that too.

My views aren't different to most of those Tories still voting Tory no, your views are. However you just have to be abusive to any Conservatives who actually are conservatives not just Orange Book LDs with blue rosettes
    HYUFD said:

I'm fairly certain Prince Andrew is a secret republican, ditto the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge given their recent tour.

Andrew is only 9th in the line of succession now so what he thinks on anything is of little relevance given he has now effectively been consigned to royal exile
    Exile?! HMQ was hanging on his arm this week.

Your complacency is consistent.

• IshmaelZ said:

Ted Heath was the greatest PM outside of my lifetime, his finest achievest, correctly placing Middlesbrough outside of Yorkshire.

#HeirToCromwell is an interesting hashtag, given Cromwell, O was so furiously opposed to government by dynasty, he thought the appropriate successor to Cromwell, O was by a staggering coincidence Cromwell, R. What are the odds of that?
    Cromwell O was a grammar school lad, what do you expect from those entitled and hypocritical buggers?

Although I'm sure if he had finished his education at Sidney he would have not made the rookie mistake of appointing Tumbledown Dick as his successor.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

He replaced a Monarch with his brother, a far better Monarch to be our head of state in WW2
    On a point of grammar Hyufd, Baldwin did not replace a monarch with his brother. He replaced a monarch with *the monarch's* brother.
    I read somewhere the other day that Lilibet was tipped for future Queendom from a *very* early age notably by her grandad, on the grounds that Ed 8 was far too much of a wanker to make it as King.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

It's a problem on here generally though from what I've seen HY does take it to another level.

Admitting you are wrong, as every single person is and should be sometimes (it's a betting site ffs!!!), would help make the place slightly happier. Even more so if people accepted a sincere mea culpa moment.

Nope

Let's not go there. We have differences of opinion over handling covid, strongly held.
    Yes you did. You've been calling for lockdowns for the last nine months, predicting all sorts of doom. You were saying opening up in summer would be terrible and you were calling for locking back down all Autumn.
    And it wasn't done, and the world didn't end. And Britain got on with its life.

HYUFD said:

Andrew is only 9th in the line of succession now so what he thinks on anything is of little relevance given he has now effectively been consigned to royal exile

At his father's memorial service, even prisoners can attend their father's funeral and memorial with their mother
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,287
    Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

This Warburton chap. On the one hand, drugs are passé in the modern Conservative Party. But if he is forced out, might this provide an excuse for tiresome lefties to accuse icing sugar sniffers on the government side of hypocrisy?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60967143

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/02/inside-dutch-torture-chamber/

Anyone who does cocaine is a complete and utter ban hammer word
    Leon loves it doesn't he? So he said on here iirc.
    Quite the opposite. One of my least favourite drugs

Tho I have done every drug in the world, basically, so I cannot exonerate myself. Just not much cocaine, as it happens

I can’t defend myself. I was a fucked up nihilistic wanker, for about 15 years. Hey ho
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

Nope

We do. I think you were wrong in that you said lockdowns were planned, when they weren’t. Whether they should have been is a different question.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I read somewhere the other day that Lilibet was tipped for future Queendom from a *very* early age notably by her grandad, on the grounds that Ed 8 was far too much of a wanker to make it as King.
    He did spill his seed on infertile ground.

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

Nope

Yes you did. You've been calling for lockdowns for the last nine months, predicting all sorts of doom. You were saying opening up in summer would be terrible and you were calling for locking back down all Autumn.
    As I said, let's not go there okay? I think the UK's current approach to covid is appallingly lax and so do many people. Covid is still dangerous.

And I did get it right especially during the most dangerous phase before vaccines really kicked in.

My only slight satisfaction is that I know many other parts of the world, including my beloved Asia, are taking a more cautious (and I would say sensible) approach.

But this is where strongly held opinions are not going to see eye to eye. I think you're wrong, you think I am so best just call it quits and not deliberately try to rile each other in that very masculine aggressive manner so often seen on here.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

She was considered a likely future Queen by Baldwin's cabinet from her birth in 1926. Here's what Joynson-Hicks, Home Secretary, and close friend of both her grandfather and father wrote about her in his memoirs (unpublished, deposited at Lewes Record Office):

'The Prince of Wales shows no sign of marrying, and it would be a brave minister would broach the matter with him. It seems likely, therefore, that at some stage another Queen Elizabeth will sit on the throne of England - but alas, I shall be too old to be her Lord Burghley.''
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD having been away and just read the end of the last thread it is also not edifying that having got 2 things of no importance whatsoever wrong you can't admit it. You specifically said a restaurant had a Michelin star and one had to go through Essex on a trip you defined. Neither were correct. You then moved the goal posts on both.

What is wrong with you that you can never admit you are wrong even on trivia?

I really don't care, this is a politics blog not Mastermind. However I will admit I was not exactly right if that makes you happy.

Still does not give you the right to call me a Fascist!
    Neither do I but you seem to as you will bang on and on trying to defend an obvious error.

I have every right to call you a fascist because that is what your views imply. I forgot about that admiration of Franco that others stated. You fit that group almost perfectly. The only area where you don't would be that, to your credit, you don't express any race or homophobic views.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD having been away and just read the end of the last thread it is also not edifying that having got 2 things of no importance whatsoever wrong you can't admit it. You specifically said a restaurant had a Michelin star and one had to go through Essex on a trip you defined. Neither were correct. You then moved the goal posts on both.

I really don't care, this is a politics blog not Mastermind. However I will admit I was not exactly right if that makes you happy.

You are not not a fascist either, though, are you? As in, you'd support fascists in some circumstances. You've already expressed admiration for Franco and Pinochet. How far would you go?
    Churchill also was an ally of Stalin in WW2 did not make him a Communist.

There is no doubt Thatcher saw Pinochet's support as vital in helping to win the Falklands War, did not make her a Fascist either
    That TV programme a week or so ago made it pretty clear that Pinochet’s support was, if not vital, close to it.
    Explained her support for him later.

Wonder why he hated the like-minded Argentinian Government so much.

Leon said:

As we drove across the desert, the chief archaeologist of the Tepes, Necmi Karul, “Oh I must show you this, we discovered it a few weeks ago”. A little Arab village where walls are casually supported by 12,000 year old megaliths and, in 1 lumber room, they found one of the oldest raised rock friezes on the planet. As you do

My m-i-l was a child post-war in southern Turkey. She would dig in their garden, and around the place, and find Roman coins. This was unremarkable, and the coins would be traded. They still have some. (Her uncle taught her to fish with explosives. This was also unremarkable...)

When I first knew her, Mrs J said she wished Turkey had a 'Time Team'-style program, as many in the country did not realise the (non-monetary) value of the archaeology. You should pitch it - I can imagine you in a Phil Harding hat knapping flint on TV...
    Imagine just walking into a stone shed, used for compost and wheelbarrows, and seeing that frieze, perfectly preserved - and knowing that it is 12-13,000 years old and absolutely pivotal (alongside the other Tepe discoveries) in a new understanding of human prehistory, and therefore of all humans

And this happened about four weeks ago, and the guy that found it showed me it this afternoon. A lucky dude

Turkey is phenomenal, and this tiny corner of Kurdish Turkey is beyond phenomenal. Basically everywhere they look they are finding something epochal. Like finding a new Stonehenge under every new Aldi
    edited April 2022
    Heathener said:

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

Nope

As I said, let's not go there okay? I think the UK's current approach to covid is appallingly lax and so do many people. Covid is still dangerous.

And I did get it right especially during the most dangerous phase before vaccines really kicked in.

My only slight satisfaction is that I know many other parts of the world, including my beloved Asia, are taking a more cautious (and I would say sensible) approach.

But this is where strongly held opinions are not going to see eye to eye. I think you're wrong, you think I am so best just call it quits and not deliberately try to rile each other in that very masculine aggressive manner so often seen on here.
    No wish to rile up, but in the spirit of admitting you were wrong about the invasion, your first posts here were about non existent plans for lockdowns. Not that thought they should happen, but that they were planned and you had heard from your sources close to government. I’d have a lot of respect for you if you admitted that this was not true.

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

Nope

We do. I think you were wrong in that you said lockdowns were planned, when they weren’t. Whether they should have been is a different question.
    No idea what you're talking about and I suspect you don't either. Maybe you're referring to the memo to which I referred? But it was just that: a memo warning of the possibility.

As I'm sure you know, Government had a range of competing views and, really, things didn't alter until a) Matt Hancock was fired and b) Boris Johnson went under the thumbscrew of the right wingers in his party.

Leave it there. Move on.

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You are not not a fascist either, though, are you? As in, you'd support fascists in some circumstances. You've already expressed admiration for Franco and Pinochet. How far would you go?

There is no doubt Thatcher saw Pinochet's support as vital in helping to win the Falklands War, did not make her a Fascist either
    That TV programme a week or so ago made it pretty clear that Pinochet’s support was, if not vital, close to it.

This had quite a lot to do with it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_conflict
    edited April 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Neither do I buy you seem to as you will bang on and on trying to defend an obvious error.

I have every right to call you a fascist because that is what your views imply. I forgot about that admiration of Franco that others stated. You fit that group almost perfectly. The only area where you don't would be that, to your credit, you don't express any race or homophobic views.
    Well given an actual former Fascist is polling 47% in the French election runoff polls later this month and Trump, frequently called a Fascist got 46% in 2016 and 47% in 2020 in the US election and the President of Russia has just invaded his neighbour one could say there is a fair amount of Fascism about again now. Some have also called Bolsonaro, the President of Italy and Salvini, the main right of centre leader in Italy, Fascists. However I am a conservative not a Fascist
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

I found the 12 foot high, 13,000 year old penises carved from the living bedrock, stared at by a giant head with a snake’s neck

I’m trying to think of recent photos of a bunch of inanimate pointless pricks grouped together being stared at by a giant dickhead……

That’s a brilliant analogy, in the circs. All the pathetic stony faced dicks. The one solitary menacing fat head on a snake overseeing them

Bravo
    It’s fine as long as in years to come they are also largely forgotten and their way of life gone. An archaeologist will dig up a Russian tank in two thousand years with bones and a Z painted on it and wonder if it was a tomb to a great civilisation and a great warrior and sadly it might be the only great thing that could happen to a poor Russian conscript - being mistaken for a Russian King Raedwald…….
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

Nope

No idea what you're talking about and I suspect you don't either. Maybe you're referring to the memo to which I referred? But it was just that: a memo warning of the possibility.

As I'm sure you know, Government had a range of competing views and, really, things didn't alter until a) Matt Hancock was fired and b) Boris Johnson went under the thumbscrew of the right wingers in his party.

Leave it there. Move on.
    That’s the puppy. The fake memo.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At his father's memorial service, even prisoners can attend their father's funeral and memorial with their mother
    “Tone deaf” will be the epitaph of the Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha dynasty and their fan club.
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

Nope

Leave it there. Move on.
    Turbo I refer you to this.

I'd have a lot more respect for you if you dropped it right there. We're not going to see eye to eye on covid.

This is another of the problems on here. People just seem to spoil for a fight and, like dogs with bones, won't give up until they think they have proved they were right: usually failing to see the other's perspective in the process.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Oh and Leon I apologise. It was others that you were praising then not coke: MDMA etc. I think.

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

Nope

Leave it there. Move on.
    Turbo I refer you to this.

I'd have a lot more respect for you if you dropped it right there. We're not going to see eye to eye on covid.

This is another of the problems on here. People just seem to spoil for a fight and, like dogs with bones, won't give up until they think they have proved they were right: usually failing to see the other's perspective in the process.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Oh and Leon I apologise. It was others that you were praising then not coke: MDMA etc. I think.

Happy to drop it. Nice to see you here in the evening. We will never agree on Covid to be sure, but a discussion forum needs views to thrive, and it would be a sad world if we all agreed.
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Imagine just walking into a stone shed, used for compost and wheelbarrows, and seeing that frieze, perfectly preserved - and knowing that it is 12-13,000 years old and absolutely pivotal (alongside the other Tepe discoveries) in a new understanding of human prehistory, and therefore of all humans

And this happened about four weeks ago, and the guy that found it showed me it this afternoon. A lucky dude

Turkey is phenomenal, and this tiny corner of Kurdish Turkey is beyond phenomenal. Basically everywhere they look they are finding something epochal. Like finding a new Stonehenge under every new Aldi
    If only there was a new Orwell in our midst under the tawdry paperback writer.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

This thread is slightly misleading.

Whilst it is true that John Major's majority began to whittle away between 1992-7, the fact is that he started out with a majority of 21 and Tony Blair turned that around from a majority of 21 to the Conservatives to a landslide Labour victory with its largest ever victory: a majority of 179.

So, yes, turnarounds do happen.

They are much more likely to occur after long one-party rules when 'time for change' becomes a meme, especially when sleaze and corruption have crept in.

By 1997 the Tories had been in power continuously for 18 years. By 2024 they will have been in power for 14 years.

I suggest that 1997 is a much better metric by which to judge 2024 and that Mike is, on this rare occasion, wrong.

More 1964, 1992 or 2010. Each general elections after the governing party had been in power for 13 years
    All three saw changes of leadership prior to the elections.

This time the Conservative MP's have chickened out and will stay with their same leader.

So, no, not like 1964, 1992 or 2010.

Like 1997.
    Although in 1963 Macmillan had initially intended to stay on, and there still remains some doubt as to exactly why he resigned.
    Ooh. What are the alternative theories, apart from the health scare?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Exclusive: Rock Entertainment Group, the owner of the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers and a number of other major American sports franchises, is joining forces with the Chicago Cubs owners and hedge fund magnate Ken Griffin in their bid for Chelsea Football Club. Full story up soon.
    https://twitter.com/MarkKleinmanSky/status/1510332596592463888
    mwadams said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Neither do I but you seem to as you will bang on and on trying to defend an obvious error.

Without commenting on whether or not the epithet is appropriate...

As I said the other day, the term "fascist" has become so abhorrent, that to be accused of being a fascist when ones expressed views *are* congruent with actual fascism seems somehow to be excessive.

And the result is that one can express actually fascist views with comparative freedom.

This is not a good thing.
    Yepp. Spot on. Godwin’s Law is a huge asset to actual Nazis.

Leon said:

Leon said:

A new Orwell would have to be prepared to change their nom de plume - do we know any writers who would do this?
    One example. Of the scale of what they are finding in Tepe-land

The photo looks anonymous, meaningless

But it’s not. Chief archaeologist Nemri Kalul is casually pointing to that stone to say

“That is almost certainly the top of another five metre high megalith, buried beneath. We know the signs now. There are thousands everywhere. It could be an entire new temple complex. We just don’t have time to dig them all up”

That’s the scale of what they are uncovering. He reckons, for example, they have uncovered just 1% of what is buried at Karahan Tepe. At Gobekli Tepe it is still only about 10%. And there they have been slowed by the millions of visitors
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

This had quite a lot to do with it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_conflict
    Yes; hat-tip to a historian. Thanks.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Neither do I buy you seem to as you will bang on and on trying to defend an obvious error.

Well given an actual former Fascist is polling 47% in the French election runoff polls later this month and Trump, frequently called a Fascist got 46% in 2016 and 47% in 2020 in the US election and the President of Russia has just invaded his neighbour one could say there is a fair amount of Fascism about again now. Some have also called Bolsonaro, the President of Italy and Salvini, the main right of centre leader in Italy, Fascists. However I am a conservative not a Fascist
    If you are a conservative why are you such a fan of a PM who has more in common with the Revolutionary Communist Party than Ken Clarke or Phillip Hammond?

At best you are an extreme Conservative party loyalist (which is quite different from conservative), but from your posting it seems reasonable to assume you at least admire many fascists, and are happy to adopt their style of politics, even if you do not want the same outcomes.

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Whilst it is true that John Major's majority began to whittle away between 1992-7, the fact is that he started out with a majority of 21 and Tony Blair turned that around from a majority of 21 to the Conservatives to a landslide Labour victory with its largest ever victory: a majority of 179.

They are much more likely to occur after long one-party rules when 'time for change' becomes a meme, especially when sleaze and corruption have crept in.

By 1997 the Tories had been in power continuously for 18 years. By 2024 they will have been in power for 14 years.

I suggest that 1997 is a much better metric by which to judge 2024 and that Mike is, on this rare occasion, wrong.

More 1964, 1992 or 2010. Each general elections after the governing party had been in power for 13 years
    All three saw changes of leadership prior to the elections.

This time the Conservative MP's have chickened out and will stay with their same leader.

So, no, not like 1964, 1992 or 2010.

Like 1997.
    Although in 1963 Macmillan had initially intended to stay on, and there still remains some doubt as to exactly why he resigned.
    Ooh. What are the alternative theories, apart from the health scare?
    Alternative theories include he was not feeling well and his judgement was impaired, that he was deliberately lied to by his doctor about how ill he was under pressure from the Conservative hierarchy, and that he had in fact always intended to resign at the conference and just used his illness as a smokescreen to hide the fact he had been forced out.

Ultimately, I think exactly why he resigned is a puzzle that will never be entirely solved, although I think it probably was quite simply that he genuinely thought he was much more unwell than he was. I gather he had a reputation as something of a hypochondriac.
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A new Orwell would have to be prepared to change their nom de plume - do we know any writers who would do this?
    I could not possibly comment. For if I do the poor wee shrinking-violet, brothel-frequenting, drug-addled fascist scumbag will ask the Mod to ban me.

Cue Jock rant.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    For the last five weeks, I've been trying very hard to split Russia into two parts: the leadership who have caused this tragedy (and may still profit from it), and the Russian people. The former are guilty; the latter are not.

As time goes on, and more scenes of evil emerge, I am finding it increasingly hard to make that distinction in my head.

Any western politician who tries to water down sanction should be shown these scenes. In fact, any politician, anywhere.
    Leon said:

But it’s not. Chief archaeologist Nemri Kalul is casually pointing to that stone to say

“That is almost certainly the top of another five metre high megalith, buried beneath. We know the signs now. There are thousands everywhere. It could be an entire new temple complex. We just don’t have time to dig them all up”

That’s the scale of what they are uncovering. He reckons, for example, they have uncovered just 1% of what is buried at Karahan Tepe. At Gobekli Tepe it is still only about 10%. And there they have been slowed by the millions of visitors

Or he’s complaining about Sadiq Khan putting bollards in place to stop drivers parking their land rovers on Primrose Hill.
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

If you are a conservative why are you such a fan of a PM who has more in common with the Revolutionary Communist Party than Ken Clarke or Phillip Hammond?

At best you are an extreme Conservative party loyalist (which is quite different from conservative), but from your posting it seems reasonable to assume you at least admire many fascists, and are happy to adopt their style of politics, even if you do not want the same outcomes.
    It is of course common practice now for many on the left or liberal spectrum to call anyone further right of Ken Clarke or David Cameron a Fascist. In which case 43% of the country are Fascists given they voted for Boris in 2019, 46% adding those who voted for Farage. I of course did vote for May's Tories over Farage in the 2019 European elections unlike some on here.

However given Labour voters in 2019 and 2017 voted for a near Communist with plenty of anti Semitic supporters they don't really have a great deal of moral high ground on this
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Good god man, HYUFD is too busy genuflecting to bother with grammar!
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No I call you a fascist because you want to censor the free press for an article where the author used a word that is part of his own language but you disapprove and therefore should be banned. A typical stance of a fascist. Also because:

- You openly don't feel the views of a losing side in an election should be considered ignoring the respected view that Governments govern for all.

The list goes on. Your views are that of a typical fascist and not of a Tory, which can be seen by the fact that not a single Tory here supports your views.

No.

You call me a fascist because you are a pompous, tedious Liberal bore who now resorts to abuse against anyone who does not share their mindset!

Thatcher herself approved of Pinochet's support in the Falklands War, the Tory UK government's official policy is to continue to refuse indyref2.

Name me one Labour government where most Tory voters were happy with it or one Tory government where most Labour voters were happy with it?

Despite the Tories still polling around 35% you can count the number of still Tory voting Boris supporters on here on 1 hand. That means very little. However still most of them do not call me and others like me 'fascist' like you just have!
    Firstly others have.

It was necessary in the Falkland war, that doesn't mean you have to support Pinochet. Did you? Your comments the other day implied you did.

Re Indy ref there is a difference between not supporting a referendum and threatening troops.

I don't call you a fascist for supporting Johnson, I call you a fascist because of your beliefs. Boris is not a fascist, but you are.

Does it not cross your mind that your views are different to every Tory on this site. I am closer to all of them than you.
    Where have I said send troops into Scotland to occupy it? Controlling riots a la the non Fascist Spanish government in Catalonia when indyref2 is refused is a different matter.

I did not make any comments supporting Pinochet's domestic policy, just his support in the Falklands War, so wrong on that too.

My views aren't different to most of those Tories still voting Tory no, your views are. However you just have to be abusive to any Conservatives who actually are conservatives not just Orange Book LDs with blue rosettes
    You are just making stuff up now.

You were not specific on riots when you threatened troops to Scotland. In fact you made lots of references to tanks which you don't use for riots unless are really blood thirsty. So you just made that up.

I never mentioned anything about Chile's domestic policy but you were enthusiastic about Thatcher's support and critical of Straw's position. So again you are making stuff up.

Re your comments about you being closer to Tory's still voting Tory. I'll pick two. I think @MarqueeMark and @Sean_F both of whom I think are still Tories and I think I agree with them on stuff more than you do.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Good god man, HYUFD is too busy genuflecting to bother with grammar!
    There's no need to be cross.

And with that I must love you and leave you, have a great evening.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Heathener said:

Although the conservatives have only been governing on their own since 2015, not even seven full years ago.

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I could not possibly comment. For if I do the poor wee shrinking-violet, brothel-frequenting, drug-addled fascist scumbag will ask the Mod to ban me.

Cue Jock rant.
    Is “Cue Jock Rant” a cunning way of writing the banned word by using the first two letters and last two letters to avoid detection?

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    HYUFD said:

Are you sure it was an agenda? It looked like an ancient Range Rover to me.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

This Warburton chap. On the one hand, drugs are passé in the modern Conservative Party. But if he is forced out, might this provide an excuse for tiresome lefties to accuse icing sugar sniffers on the government side of hypocrisy?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60967143

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/02/inside-dutch-torture-chamber/

Anyone who does cocaine is a complete and utter ban hammer word
    Leon loves it doesn't he? So he said on here iirc.
    Quite the opposite. One of my least favourite drugs

Tho I have done every drug in the world, basically, so I cannot exonerate myself. Just not much cocaine, as it happens

I can’t defend myself. I was a fucked up nihilistic wanker, for about 15 years. Hey ho
    still big kudos that you survived and sorted your self out.
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

You were not specific on riots when you threatened troops to Scotland. In fact you made lots of references to tanks which you don't use for riots unless are really blood thirsty. So you just made that up.

I never mentioned anything about Chile's domestic policy but you were enthusiastic about Thatcher's support and critical of Straw's position. So again you are making stuff up.

Re your comments about you being closer to Tory's still voting Tory. I'll pick two. I think @MarqueeMark and @Sean_F both of whom I think are still Torys and I think I agree with them on stuff more than you do.
    Yes I was supportive about Thatcher's support for Pinochet not being prosecuted here, as his support was crucial to our victory in the Falklands War.

I certainly agree with MM and SF than they do a LD like you on most issues, not that I care less what you think on that
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    BigRich said:

not everybody will what to click on the link,

the tweet is a photo of a town in northern Ukraine, the Russians had tide the hands of some Ukrainians civilians behind there back, and then shot them. Basterds and war criminals.

https://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/1510039148299751424?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1510039148299751424|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/04/02/ukrainian-troops-around-kiev-horrified-by-what-retreating-russians-left-behind-n459626

Clearly I cant verify this, but having seen a few videos of liberated areas, I think its real.

There were some reports (on twitter) that, in this town, the Russians executed all men 18-60. It is probably best understood as the conduct of inexperienced kids in an unplanned invasion. They can't get away with it, because it has all been filmed and photographed due to cameraphones - the volume of evidence will be phenomenal.

Russia has far outdone the US and UK for its errors in Iraq - this stuff coming out of Ukraine is simply in a whole different class of stupidity.

Ultimately, we've seen what western public opinion does to criminals like Wayne Couzens. The same wrath will just be applied to the whole nation of Russia. They will come to be regarded as a nation of psychopathic criminal scumbags with no chance of redemption.
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

It is of course common practice now for many on the left or liberal spectrum to call anyone further right of Ken Clarke or David Cameron a Fascist. In which case 43% of the country are Fascists given they voted for Boris in 2019. I of course did vote for May's Tories over Farage in the 2019 European elections unlike some on here.

However given Labour voters in 2019 and 2017 voted for a near Communist with plenty of anti Semitic supporters you don't really have a great deal of moral high ground on this
    You really don't get it, do you? It is not about being left or right. Steve Baker or David Davis are both significantly to the right of Clarke or Cameron but have a very different approach, and are in no sense fascists.

They don't want to take us back to the glorious 1950s. They do not view dissent as treason. They don't drone on about past wars. They can think for themselves rather than rely on the "will of the people".
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,366

Heath's victory is often attributed to England being knocked out of the 1970 World Cup. This year's World Cup is in November and December. Could history repeat itself, especially if Boris is cheering on Ukraine (again)?

"It has been speculated[75] that the national embarrassment of losing against Germany played a significant role in the surprise defeat of Harold Wilson's government in the 1970 United Kingdom general election four days later, however recent analysis[76] found no evidence to support this theory."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FIFA_World_Cup#Knockout_stage
    Leon said:

You bin to Nemrut Dağ btw? Just round the corner and bloody sensational

Went there about this time of year, couldn't see a sign of a 9 metre high head of Zeus till we realised that a thing like a stone manhole cover on which we were standing, was the very top of his head, because snow. Same but different.
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

It is of course common practice now for many on the left or liberal spectrum to call anyone further right of Ken Clarke or David Cameron a Fascist. In which case 43% of the country are Fascists given they voted for Boris in 2019. I of course did vote for May's Tories over Farage in the 2019 European elections unlike some on here.

However given Labour voters in 2019 and 2017 voted for a near Communist with plenty of anti Semitic supporters you don't really have a great deal of moral high ground on this
    You really don't get it, do you? It is not about being left or right. Steve Baker or David Davis are both significantly to the right of Clarke or Cameron but have a very different approach, and are in no sense fascists.

They don't want to take us back to the glorious 1950s. They do not view dissent as treason. They don't drone on about past wars. They can think for themselves rather than rely on the "will of the people".
    Steve Baker and David Davis are extreme libertarians, quite often more than they are conservatives.

Hence liberals might like some of their views in a way they cannot tolerate the views of traditional conservatives, hence they call them 'Fascists'.

Of course driving traditional conservatives in this way out of mainstream debate is the quickest way to expand support for those who genuinely are Fascists
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cue Jock rant.
    Is “Cue Jock Rant” a cunning way of writing the banned word by using the first two letters and last two letters to avoid detection?

Only a complete e Jock Ra would suggest such a thing.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

Re your comments about you being closer to Tory's still voting Tory. I'll pick two. I think @MarqueeMark and @Sean_F both of whom I think are still Torys and I think I agree with them on stuff more than you do.
    Yes I was supportive about Thatcher's support for Pinochet not being prosecuted here, as his support was crucial to our victory in the Falklands War.

I certainly agree with MM and SF than they do a LD like you on most issues, not that I care less what you think on that
    I think you are are wrong re Mark and Sean. Let's test that with a post today. Do you support the Conservative policy of replacing the ECHR will a UK bill of rights
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,102

I'm fairly certain Prince Andrew is a secret republican,

Aren't we all? ;)
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

These look like supports for a long vanished wooden floor to me.
    Yes, that is the guess. Though they are also definitely phallic

It seems all the enclosures were - probably - lightly roofed (for shade from the burning desert sun) by wicker/wooden roofs

In Enclose AB at Karahan Tepe (see, I’m getting technical) the great hall was supported by two central pillars 6 metres high, the main.pillars for a conical or tent like roof

Six metres high! It would have been like a mini cathedral…… in 10,000 BC. With numerous side chapels, shrines, altars, statues in niches, leopard skins, dangling human skulls….
    I think your flint knapping is getting to you. The reason they are wider at the top is that there is a broader surface to put the beams on. Still seriously impressive carving for 13k years ago, mind you.
    No, honestly, you’re totally wrong. Every archaeologist working on this accepts that they are phallic. I was there. I spoke to them. This is also accepted by every major scholar on the subject

We know this because there are identical shaped pillars with phallic forms which are much shorter, and definitely weren’t used for roofs

Check the rockfrieze I just posted. In the little village. The tiny man is clutching his cock. The Tepe people were obsessed with penises

Tho I suppose an obscure anonymous lawyer from Scotland might have more insight than every expert in this field, so I might give you their email addresses so you can set them right

https://www.dainst.blog/the-tepe-telegrams/2017/08/09/a-short-note-on-a-new-figurine-type-from-goebekli-tepe/

“The other important characteristic of the depiction is the prominent erect phallus. Göbekli Tepe´s iconography is generally nearly exclusively male (e.g. Dietrich and Notroff 2015.85), and the phallus features prominently in several depictions of animals and humans. For example, a headless ithyphallic body is depicted on Pillar 43 amongst birds, snakes and a large scorpion (Schmidt 2006). Although the central pillars of the large enclosures are clearly marked as human through the depiction of arms, hands, and in the case of Enclosure D also items of clothing, their sex is not indicated. An erect phallus however is a prominent feature of the foxes depicted on several of the central pillars. There are also a few phallus sculptures from the site (e.g. Schmidt 1999.9, Plate 2/3-4).”
    You are too kind Leon. I aspire to obscurity. But they strongly reminded me of what is left in the colleseum and what used to support the now none existant floor.

I of course bow to your greater knowledge, how could I do otherwise?
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

I think you are are wrong re Mark and Sean. Let's test that with a post today. Do you support the Conservative policy of replacing the ECHR will a UK bill of rights
    Yes, as did 78% of Conservative voters even in 2014

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2014/10/08/support-tory-human-rights-plans-falls-along-party-
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

You bin to Nemrut Dağ btw? Just round the corner and bloody sensational

Went there about this time of year, couldn't see a sign of a 9 metre high head of Zeus till we realised that a thing like a stone manhole cover on which we were standing, was the very top of his head, because snow. Same but different.
    So in the birth place of St Nicholas, a god, snow, seems like Turkey’s voting for Christmas. Must take some carving though…..

(Sorry accidentally hit off-topic and hit it again to reverse and don’t know if that worked.)
    Leon said:

I'm willing to bet there are even older sites on the sunken continental shelf of Sundaland (um, the one in SE Asia, NOT Wearside!).
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Steve Baker and David Davis are extreme libertarians, quite often more than they are conservatives.

Hence liberals might like some of their views in a way they cannot tolerate the views of traditional conservatives, hence they call them 'Fascists'.

Of course driving traditional conservatives in this way out of mainstream debate is the quickest way to expand support for those who genuinely are Fascists
    It is not the end of the world being a fascist. As you say they are in the ascendancy in democracies with Trump, Le Pen, Bolsonaro, Modi, Salvini. Social media works very well for them so it is likely to continue. If you believe in a very powerful executive above the rule of law to protect the people from globalisation, woolly courts and overly modern and woke universities, then don't be embarrassed by it, own being a fascist.
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

If you don't support @HYUFD, has it occurred to you that might actually not be a Conservative?
    As you have 3 likes @rcs1000 I assume it is me being an idiot but I don't understand your post. Are you missing a 'you' in your post and are you assuming I am a conservative (I'm not).
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,366
    edited April 2022
    Have we had this poll?

"@EuropeElects
    France, Ipsos-Sopra Steria poll:
    Presidential run-off election

Macron (EC-RE): 53% (-5)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 47% (+5)

+/- vs. 23-26 Match 2022
    Fieldwork: 30 March-2 April 2022
    Sample size: 1,963"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1510267882969735170?cxt=HHwWhIC9gemoxvUpAAAA

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

“Tone deaf” will be the epitaph of the Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha dynasty and their fan club.
    Serendiptously I just read on twitter that in 1917 George V changed the family name from House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor not just because of general anti German feeling but specifically because of the Gotha bombers pounding London. The Luftwaffe should have named the 111 the Heinkel Windsor just to noise the royals up.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited April 2022

Leon said:

I'm willing to bet there are even older sites on the sunken continental shelf of Sundaland (um, the one in SE Asia, NOT Wearside!).
    Mind, there is always Doggerland only a bit further south. Of Wearside I mean.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2014/10/08/support-tory-human-rights-plans-falls-along-party-
    Well interesting because Sean doesn't so one up for me then. Fell into that trap didn't you.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,740
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Although the conservatives have only been governing on their own since 2015, not even seven full years ago.
    And on their third PM since 2015.

The change from May to Boris especially felt like a significant change of Government.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Would have been a tad chilly during the Ice Age, mind. The real Sundaland is slap bang on the equator and surely would have had a Mediterranean-ish climate back then.
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

If you don't support @HYUFD, has it occurred to you that might actually not be a Conservative?
    If we followed FUDHY’s definition of “proper Tory” there’s only be a few thousand of them in England.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Serendiptously I just read on twitter that in 1917 George V changed the family name from House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor not just because of general anti German feeling but specifically because of the Gotha bombers pounding London. The Luftwaffe should have named the 111 the Heinkel Windsor just to noise the royals up.
    Talking about name changes of that ilk, including German Shepherds/Alsatians, I came across this pretty mindboggling fact re NI -

"German Biscuits, also known as Empire Biscuits, Belgian Biscuits and, originally (according to Wikipedia) Linzer Biscuits or Deutsch Biscuits. In the brief history of the German Biscuit that I gleaned from my research, it turns out that around the time of WWI, many people started to call these Empire Biscuits. But in Northern Ireland, they continued to be called German Biscuits."

http://traybakesandmore.com/german-biscuits/
    kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

As you have 3 likes @rcs1000 I assume it is me being an idiot but I don't understand your post. Are you missing a 'you' in your post and are you assuming I am a conservative (I'm not).
    No, it's a reference to HYUFD's assertion you have to agree with him to be a "proper" Tory.
    edited April 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

Well interesting because Sean doesn't so one up for me then. Fell into that trap didn't you.
    So clearly I am the one who represents over 3/4 of Conservatives not Sean then.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Apropos of absolutely nothing I watched Edward VIII: The Traitor King on Channel 4 and I burst out laughing when A N Wilson said 'What somebody once told me about the royal family is that they think if they do it [sex] with the footman it doesn't count'
    Andy_JS said:

Heath's victory is often attributed to England being knocked out of the 1970 World Cup. This year's World Cup is in November and December. Could history repeat itself, especially if Boris is cheering on Ukraine (again)?

"It has been speculated[75] that the national embarrassment of losing against Germany played a significant role in the surprise defeat of Harold Wilson's government in the 1970 United Kingdom general election four days later, however recent analysis[76] found no evidence to support this theory."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FIFA_World_Cup#Knockout_stage
    Didn’t feel like that at the time. And I was an active campaigner. As I recall, late in the campaign it just felt it was sliding away.

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Would have been a tad chilly during the Ice Age, mind. The real Sundaland is slap bang on the equator and surely would have had a Mediterranean-ish climate back then.
    Quite - if not solidly deep-frozen. Though it was quite the place to be when the ice melted but before too much ice melted.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I can’t see the word ‘Doggerland’ without thinking of Viz. The boffins ought to come up with a better term.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664
    Out on a Highland hill today in Lochaber. On my own. Glorious weather. Plover piping only sound.

And then sound of rolling thunder overhead. Way up, several contrails closely packed together. Planes quickly disappeared into cloud. Presumably one or more B52s with escorts.

Makes you think...
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You genuinely are a fascist. Although you share many of the same views as Tory MPs, nearly all of them do NOT share your views that fall into the fascist camp.

Let me give you another example. Nigel Farage is to the right of the Tories but I wouldn't call him a fascist, although he is pushing the boundaries sometime.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

But you and your party are not “traditional conservatives”.

The modern iteration of the Tory party:

- English Nationalist, not One Nation
    - Revolutionary, not Conservative
    - High tax/high debt, not Friedman
    - State control, not free market
    - Social engineering, not conservatism
    - Nasty, not paternal
    - Reactive, not confident
    - Populist, not principled
    - Clown, not competence
    - Degenerate, not moral
    - Cash for pals, not good governance
    - Fiscal spaffing, not fiscal moderation
    - Fuck business, not pro business
    - Proroguing parliament, not the rule of law
    - Lying to the monarch, not respecting institutions
    - Authoritarian, not liberal
    - Corruption, not ethics
    - Second jobs, not public service
    - Serving clients, not constituents
    - Peppa Pig, not promoting productivity
    - Cokeheads, not sober
    - Law-breakers, not law enforcers
    -Presidential system, not constitutional monarchy
    - Sovereign party, not sovereign parliament
    - Police fines, not clean sheets
    - Windrush disgrace, not Ukrainian solidarity

The only constants are the blue rosettes, greed and jingoism.
    Much of that of course comes back to your side blocking Brexit.

Conservatism is also not automatically free market, indeed conservatives have often been pro tariff and pro protectionist not free trade.

Support for the free market and free trade is more a liberal trait than a conservative one

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Apropos of absolutely nothing I watched Edward VIII: The Traitor King on Channel 4 and I burst out laughing when A N Wilson said 'What somebody once told me about the royal family is that they think if they do it [sex] with the footman it doesn't count'
    I did NOT have sexual relations with that footman.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Come to think of it, there was always the Vickers Windsor. I had always assumned it was a Lancaster on the cheap to use Wellington tech and jigs, but it seems from this wiki to be worthy of more interest than that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Windsor
    edited April 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You genuinely are a fascist. Although you share many of the same views as Tory MPs, nearly all of them do NOT share your views that fall into the fascist camp.

Let me give you another example. Nigel Farage is to the right of the Tories but I wouldn't call him a fascist, although he is pushing the boundaries sometime.
    You won't because it wouldn't help you win your tedious argument as to why you have to call me a Fascist, that is all.

However Farage had allegations of Facism at Dulwich
    https://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-farage-ukip-letter-school-concerns-racism-fascism
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10458071/Hitler-Youth-claims-hang-Nigel-Farages-school-days.html
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

Yes. Not the point though. You said you had more in common with him than me. First test and 1 - 0 to me.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Talking about name changes of that ilk, including German Shepherds/Alsatians, I came across this pretty mindboggling fact re NI -

"German Biscuits, also known as Empire Biscuits, Belgian Biscuits and, originally (according to Wikipedia) Linzer Biscuits or Deutsch Biscuits. In the brief history of the German Biscuit that I gleaned from my research, it turns out that around the time of WWI, many people started to call these Empire Biscuits. But in Northern Ireland, they continued to be called German Biscuits."

Freedom fries.

How long before Fortnum n Mason rename Haggis the South Downs Gourmet Sausage?
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Quite - if not solidly deep-frozen. Though it was quite the place to be when the ice melted but before too much ice melted.
    This article is OLD, I freely admit, but thought it would entertain at least:

https://grahamhancock.com/drsunilatlantis/
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

- Nasty, not paternal
    - Clown, not competence
    - Degenerate, not moral
    - Corruption, not ethics
    - Cokeheads, not sober

A few minor amends and we have the Sturgeon administration. Perhaps replace Peppa with a ferry. And the blue rosette for a yellow.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freedom fries.

How long before Fortnum n Mason rename Haggis the South Downs Gourmet Sausage?
    Well, the Unionist Party ion Scotland got renamed. Though I see both Tory and Labour are having, erm, difficulties about picking Orangist local councillors.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

No.

Firstly others have.

Most Tories voted Leave in 2016. You did NOT!
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You won't because it wouldn't help you win your tedious argument as to why you have to call me a Fascist, that is all.

https://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-farage-ukip-letter-school-concerns-racism-fascism
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10458071/Hitler-Youth-claims-hang-Nigel-Farages-school-days.html
    Well I can prove that wrong because it was discussed the other day and I said so then. I can find the reference if you wish. Not doing very well in this argument are you,?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

- Nasty, not paternal
    - Clown, not competence
    - Degenerate, not moral
    - Corruption, not ethics
    - Cokeheads, not sober

A few minor amends and we have the Sturgeon administration. Perhaps replace Peppa with a ferry. And the blue rosette for a yellow.
    That's a lot fo mince, and your only argument because of the Johnson administration (sic.)

I can never understand PBTories.

Sturgeon does what we don't want/do - BAAAD.
    Sturgeon doesnt' do what we don't want/do - BAAAD.

I wish they would make up their minds ...

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I did NOT have sexual relations with that footman.
    Didn’t Charles Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha have some gopher to pull his breeks up for him and give him some gentlemanly relief? I’d be surprised is that walloper can brush his own teeth.
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Well I can prove that wrong because it was discussed the other day and I said so then. I can find the reference if you wish. Not doing very well in this argument are you,?
    You started this argument by resorting to abuse, not me.

You are clearly not going to withdraw your allegation so why should I care, it says more about you than me

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They were Saxe-Coburg and Gotha because Albert the Prince Consort was, Victoria was a Hanover. It seems odd that Victoria transmits everything else but not her surname, and also by the same principle Chas n baldy n Andy are surely Mountbattens and not Windsors.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Come to think of it, there was always the Vickers Windsor. I had always assumned it was a Lancaster on the cheap to use Wellington tech and jigs, but it seems from this wiki to be worthy of more interest than that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Windsor
    But only 3 were ever built!
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They were Saxe-Coburg and Gotha because Albert the Prince Consort was, Victoria was a Hanover. It seems odd that Victoria transmits everything else but not her surname, and also by the same principle Chas n baldy n Andy are surely Mountbattens and not Windsors.
    Prince Andrew isn’t a Windsor, he’s definitely Staines.
This discussion has been closed.