Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The French election is getting very tight for Macron – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    Leon said:

I have decided that @Heathener is an experiment by @rcs1000 using GPT3 to pose as a commenter and keep the debate going. No sane individual could spew out this weird mix of random left wing piety, earnest yet eerie dullness, pro war craziness, with provocative dashes of bigotry and rank stupidity.

The syntax also has the odd lapse into total incoherence. Very telling. She’s a computer program and I for one salute Mr SMITHSON’s ingenuity

The Buddha avatar is a nice touch.

"I'm a lady. And a Buddhist. You can't touch me....it's not fair!"

As she launches a swift knee towards your bollocks....
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

felix said:

Snow in Hove….that wasn’t in the script….

Brighton as well; not just Hove, actually.
    Snowflakes in Brighton - I'd never have guessed.
    And on the bench too, evidently:

A student activist has been ordered to pay just £22 after being found guilty of causing of more than £1,000 of criminal damage.

Charlie Turner, 19, a sociology student at the University of Brighton, was caught by police spraying red paint on the doors of Sovereign House, Church Street, Brighton, in the early hours of December 17 last year.

They pleaded not guilty to the charge but were convicted on March 29 following a trial at Brighton Magistrates’ Court earlier in the month.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20029764.activist-pay-just-22-1-000-damage-brighton/
    1000 quid of damage for a bit of paint? I could drive down, make it good in a few hours and be home for a few hundred. Bloody contractors...
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567
    Leon said:

The Will Smith thing looks worse and worse in retrospect. His whole career tainted. It will probably be his epitaph. Madness

Why??

It's been established that the same joke was used in rehearsal, hasn't it?

In which case, theory.

It was meant to be Hollywood Bantz. Edgy but staged to get publicity.

But something on the night snapped for Will, and the joke wasn't as funny as it had seemed before.

That's the risk of Bantz, that it becomes real.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    edited March 2022
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning

Rachel Reeves has just given an excellent answer to Kay Burley on the gender debate

Upped her game since she was on R4 then:

Rachel Reeves tries and fails to square the Keir Starmer circle. Biology is a big part of sex but there are also people who strongly identify as the other sex and they have the "right" to self identify but also women are entitled to single sex spaces. WHICH IS IT? @BBCR4Today

https://twitter.com/anyabike/status/1509425657977135114
    LOL, day 3 of this. You’d have thought they’d have agreed on a coherent answer to the question by now.

Can’t wait for the day-long conference debate on the subject, selected in favour of debating energy prices or inflation.
    They're failing because you can have self-ID or single sex spaces. You cannot have both. They are unwilling to make a choice. Or have made a choice which they know will be unpopular and are trying to hide it.

Labour are trying to be all things to all women (however defined) and are failing. They will continue to do so.
    Surely the fundamental conflict you raise is between the primacy of single sex spaces and having *any* legal route to gender change that doesn't involve mandatory surgery. It's not in essence about how hard or easy the process is (important though that is).

Unless a physical sex change is on the critical path to the legal gender change you are always going to have male-bodied trans women and thus be faced with picking one of the following approaches:

(a) Trans women *are* women - so they can access women's spaces. The default is inclusion. Exceptions possible but must be justified.

(b) Trans women are *not* women - so they cannot access women's spaces. The default is exclusion. Exceptions possible but must be justified.

Forgetting about how we might disagree on what the answer should be, that's a correct framing, isn't it?
    No. Not trying to be difficult here but the framing you have to look at is whether sex-based exemptions should exist at all. In order to make sense of your framing you first have to decide where the concept of "womens' spaces" comes from. Otherwise your framing is meaningless.

Pre-the Equality act there was no such concept in law. It was a matter of social convention. Then you have the Equality Act which says that people should not be discriminated against on the grounds of sex ie equal treatment for everyone but then specifically excluded certain areas because of sex ie women only spaces for certain purposes where they can be justified.

Currently, the framing for such sex-based exemptions is like your (b) ie the default is no discrimination unless there is a legitimate reason to discriminate and the method used is proportionate to that aim.

Transwomen are excluded from those exemptions not because they are not treated as women (legally) (they are) but because their sex has not changed and those exemptions exist because sex is key to why they are needed. (Bluntly the GRA introduces a polite legal fiction but comes up against the material reality of sex when it comes to the exemptions in the Equality Act.)

The framing that is now being proposed is not about whether transwomen are or are not treated as women but about the removal of the sex-based exemptions. Your position - and those of Stonewall and other trans charities - is very explicitly that those sex-based exemptions (and indeed sex as a protected characteristic under the Equality Act) should be removed in their entirety. Therefore there would be no such thing as womens' spaces ie spaces for those of the female sex with a female body at all.

In short, the question of inclusion or exclusion ie whether a transwoman could go into a female loo would not arise because there would be no female only loos.
    Right, thanks.

I'm not arguing for the removal of sex-based exemptions. I'm persuaded of the case for a more streamlined gender transition process - with controls and with suitable guidance/rules in place for certain areas such as sports and prisons where sex has to be taken into account. I think such a reform will help trans people without in practice hurting anybody else. That's where I am on this. I'm not a TRA or Stonewall accolyte. They wouldn't have me.

But what I wanted to explore (because I think it's important) is you saying this -

"You can have self-ID or single sex spaces. You can't have both."

As if the fundamental conflict is between those 2 things. Which I can't see that it is. Self-Id is shorthand for a quicker easier demedicalized legal transition process. It's just that - a process.

Whereas the core 'in theory' conflict is not about a process it's about something more elemental - the divergence between sex and gender and which of these should normally prevail.

The only way to remove that conflict - and avoid the difficult questions being batted around - is to not have a divergence between sex and gender. And there are 2 ways to do this -

(a) Remove the legal route to a gender change.
    (b) Make a gender change conditional on a sex change.

Now there will be people in favour of one or other of these, but no political party is going anywhere near it. Because it's taking trans rights back decades.

Let's agree it's a non starter. I know you aren't arguing for it.

Leaving us back where we were. We DO have a conflict to resolve between sex and gender because we (legally) recognize transgenderism and we don't tie it to a sex change.

And then I think my framing works fine. What should the transition process be? What controls are needed? Should the default be trans exclusion or inclusion? What exceptions are needed either way?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

The Will Smith thing looks worse and worse in retrospect. His whole career tainted. It will probably be his epitaph. Madness

Why??

In which case, theory.

But something on the night snapped for Will, and the joke wasn't as funny as it had seemed before.

Christ imagine having to sit in the audience and listen to the painfully crap unfunny jokes for both a rehearsal and the actual thing.....drive anybody to drink.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

I may be totally off base here but I suspect people are over-analysing his decision and under-weighting the possible impact of alcohol in it. It's an award ceremony, there's lots of wine, he probably just did something stupid for the obvious reason.

Although I'm also going to put in writing that I don't think it will really hurt his career. It was a one-off and didn't leave any major damage. I think he'll apologise for it a couple more times in interviews and it will fade away.
    1. He didn’t look remotely drunk

2. Just one of the videos of the slapping and its aftermath has been seen 80 million times. Bigger than his movies. It’s not going to fade away, he will always be the guy that did that bad stupid crazy thing at the Oscars. It’s a tragedy for him, I fear
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341

Leon said:

Why??

Perhaps he is actually a very disturbed individual, as are lots of Hollywood elite.

I thought this was an interesting take on how things have changed over the years.

The End Of The Movie Star
    The 2022 Oscars debacle really got me to thinking, is this the age of the movie star, and the cult of celebrity ending? Yes, and I'll explain how and why it happened.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04RZVeJViI&t=304s
    I so hope that is true. I am more than fed up with movie stars thinking they know more about politics than the average Joe, or that their word is somehow more important. And don't get me started on people who are famous simply for being celebrities.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

I've been on Le Pen for a while because for a while I've been worried the French will screw up their voting system and elect a Le Pen.

Also given there's a war on and the French history for capitulation and surrender it won't come as a shock that someone who is willing to collaborate with Putin.

Macron spent the period leading up to the invasion by floating the idea of a new European security deal with Russia and trying to persuade Ukraine to accept Russia's interpretation of Minsk II.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Leon said:

Why??

People will forget it in a week or still defend him on the basis "I'd be mad if someone insulted my partner" type nonsense. Mel Gibson still gets work, and many others.

More embarrassing is the phony apology from him and the hand wringing from the Academy about it. The truth lies in the action - if you're important enough you can assault people and people wont even care in the moment, let alone later. Even Guido reader polls knew better on this issue.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    A must listen for all those who can't see where the Tory Party ends and the Oligarchs begin..... "The Konservatives!"

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1509414334828589059
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625

‘Levelling up’…

‘Tory MPs vote through care cap ‘catastrophe’ for poor Brits despite revolt’

…Those with assets including their home of £75,000 to £150,000 face the biggest hit, the study found.

Someone with around £110,000 in assets could lose 78% of their total wealth even after the cap is in place, while someone with £500,000 could use up only 17%.

People in Red Wall seats in North East, Yorkshire and the Midlands, where wealth tends to be lower, would “see the biggest erosion of their protection against large care costs, as a result of the proposed amendment”, the report warned.

Link, but it’s via apple news so might not work for non-subscribers: https://apple.news/Ai_9ub_HLQmijq6P-1bWm6Q

Convenient this is flying under the radar. It’s almost as if the levelling up rhetoric is all bullshit. A lot of these people will have gone Tory, cos Brexit. I hope they realise the error of their ways.

Supposedly they will ignore the financial beating they are taking, the lack of levelling up monies being spent and the growing disparity between the north and dahn sarf because she-cocked deviants are coming for our wives and daughters.
    It's not going to happen.

It's the economy that is the issue here. The cost of living squeeze. The Tories using so called woke issues, that really bother a few people on either extreme and most people don't seem to care about, will backfire.

The one thing Heathener may have a point on, too, is who wants to be seen to be siding with Pooty Poot.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202
    mwadams said:

Phil said:

Russian troops at Chernobyl are being treated for radiation sickness in Belarus, an employee at the Ukrainian state agency overseeing the exclusion zone has claimed.

Yaroslav Yemelianenko said yesterday that 'another batch of Russians' had been taken to the 'Belarusian Radiation Medicine Center in Gomel' for treatment.

It comes after the nuclear power plant's workers said Russian soldiers' arrival at Chernobyl without anti-radiation gear when Moscow's forces seized the site last month was 'suicidal'.

Yemelianenko said the Kremlin's men had fallen ill because they failed to follow 'rules for dealing' with the Chernobyl nuclear plant and the surrounding highly toxic zone known as the Red Forest.

'With minimal intelligence in command or soldiers, these consequences could have been avoided,' he said, adding that radiation protection is 'mandatory because radiation is physics – it works without regard to status or shoulder straps.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10671373/Chernobyl-disaster-fears-Norway-tells-citizens-dust-Cold-War-bunkers.html

You do know the Daily Mail isn't real, right?

See the Safecast tweets, the story is almost definitely bullshit.
    https://twitter.com/safecast/status/1509362267829116932
    Those numbers are likely wrong, at least they don’t match sources I’ve found elsewhere, which suggest that the background radiation dose in the parts of Chernobyl immediately adjacent to the reactor (the “red forest“ can be /much/ higher than 10μSv/hr. According to the online sources I’ve seen, parts of the Red Forest still read levels of 10mSv/hr to this day. That’s a serious level of radiation - a level that you’d be fine with for an hour or two, but spend a few weeks there & you’re going to hit the LD50 radiation dose...

Worse, it sounds as if the Russian soldiers might have dug themselves in, which means a) they disturbed the topsoil and then b) slept on top of it. So they were potentially breathing in contaminated dust. This is much, much worse than just standing around near a radiation source.

I think the story is kind of plausible, but will wait for confirmation - I certainly wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand.

It could be that my sources for the rad levels are wrong, but the dust inhalation due to trench digging is a massive issue that the twitter poster ignores. It could well be that the soldiers have been taken for examination in case of contamination?
    Is this just another Daily Mail "massive doses of radiation from the topsoil gives you CANCER" scare story?
    Well, it didn’t originate with the DM, but random Twitter account does not a reliable source make, so...
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Question for PB crowdsource:

Has anyone else encountered the phenomenon whereby people are ill, ‘pass’ several LFTs (i.e. the tests are negative), yet still assume - and say - they have covid?

I’ve encountered this several times in the last few weeks. The common cold has not disappeared - and can be unpleasant.

Why do people say it’s covid when the tests say otherwise?

I've fallen guilty to this myself a bit. I had a sore throat then minor cold symptom, productive cough for about 10 days. I tested negative, but only one test cos I couldn't be arsed. I wonder if it was covid? No proof BUT with the prevalence so high, there is a good chance it was. The lateral flows are not 100% for detecting and are subject to operator error.

Also - does it matter now? I think we will be getting new advice from tomorrow when free testing ends.
    I think the free advice is "there is no more Covid so why test any more".
    You seek to be pretty ignorant if that's what you think.

I believe the free advice is "vaccines work so Covid is just another virus now, so why test any more?"

Covid or Common Cold or Flu it doesn't matter. Treat your symptoms. If you feel rotten, stay at home, as you would have before you'd even heard of Covid. If you're fine - don't.
    And all that would be fine if BA1 Omicron was the virus and we're all now jabbed so screw it. Except it isn't - BA2 is the variant making people ill and we still need to keep track of variants which can keep mutating around the vaccines. We can't track if we don't bother to test any more.

We all need to treat it as any other virus - as we all agree (now, it wasn't the other fella's position) if you are ill you stay home. But largely we know that Norovirus is the arse-spraying mayhem friend of primary schools - it is what it is. If only Covid would stay as it is.
    Covid is staying as it is. Viruses mutate, that's nothing new, but it is still Covid and the vaccine still works.

Common cold and influenza mutate too. We can monitor with scientific monitoring not every hypochondriac and their dog getting tested daily.
    Well for instance I'd like to know now if a virus I get is covid or not because, given the falling off of booster efficacy over time, I'd like to know my likely immune status in the event a nastier variant emerges this summer.
    In which case if it's idle curiosity like that you can pay for a test, just like you can pay for all sorts of other unnecessary tests etc privately.

That's what free choice and private enterprise are for, not the NHS.
    You are mad, you realise?

I have a stockpile of free tests so large I have had to move some of the loo paper into the garage, wouldn't like the tax free housing gains I've made over the years by relentlessly protesting at any form of homebuilding to be frittered away paying for that shit.
    I have a suspicion that quite a few people have accumulated vast stocks of covid tests. My work place has had then available like sweeties and the worried ones will have been swiping a box or two every day.

edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why??

People will forget it in a week or still defend him on the basis "I'd be mad if someone insulted my partner" type nonsense. Mel Gibson still gets work, and many others.

More embarrassing is the phony apology from him and the hand wringing from the Academy about it. The truth lies in the action - if you're important enough you can assault people and people wont even care in the moment, let alone later. Even Guido reader polls knew better on this issue.
    Well Roman Polanski still has his awards...they all clapped like seals over him.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Leon said:

Why??

Maybe Will Smith should have gone after Eminem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHZ1jumzFmo
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

I may be totally off base here but I suspect people are over-analysing his decision and under-weighting the possible impact of alcohol in it. It's an award ceremony, there's lots of wine, he probably just did something stupid for the obvious reason.

Although I'm also going to put in writing that I don't think it will really hurt his career. It was a one-off and didn't leave any major damage. I think he'll apologise for it a couple more times in interviews and it will fade away.

2. Just one of the videos of the slapping and its aftermath has been seen 80 million times. Bigger than his movies. It’s not going to fade away, he will always be the guy that did that bad stupid crazy thing at the Oscars. It’s a tragedy for him, I fear
    Will Smith is a huge star, give it about a month and his next big movie will get announced. Nobody is going to remember this.

I've been on Le Pen for a while because for a while I've been worried the French will screw up their voting system and elect a Le Pen.

Also given there's a war on and the French history for capitulation and surrender it won't come as a shock that someone who is willing to collaborate with Putin.

Macron spent the period leading up to the invasion by floating the idea of a new European security deal with Russia and trying to persuade Ukraine to accept Russia's interpretation of Minsk II.
    On Feb 7th Macron confidently announced to the world that his talks with Putin had resulted in preventing an invasion of Ukraine.

Honestly, it's embarrassing.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    MrEd said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

ON topic there is one known unknown which should give any bettor pause for thought

The Debates.

We know these can be crucial from our own elections, and indyref. The French prez debates were crucial last time when Le Pen blew it.

She’s not good at debates. Presumably she’s had training. Macron is annoying but he’s eloquent and smart and knows his onions. He will hope to outclass and expose her, again

But what if he doesn’t? That’s the moment when she *could* change the game, and win. I seriously doubt that she will. Yet it is something to consider

That's sort of what I was thinking,

Remember when everybody expected Obama was going to beet Romney in the debates? but Romney practiced hard and it looks like Obama did not, then on the day it was much closer perhaps even Romney won.

Could the same happen, possibly but I don't think it would overturn Macrons lead even if it did, Le Pen at best can match him, and that's not going to be enough.
    Personally, I think that the French election could be like 2016 Redux, namely people saying Trump / Brexit couldn't happen when the signs are there staring us in the face.

Yes, I would agree there are a lot of French - usually professional, university-educated, middle age types who typically would have voted Socialist - who would never vote for Le Pen. However, at least from the conversations we have had with friends who would be typical establishment centre-right voters (older, definitely bourgeois and more socially conservative), there is a feeling that maybe there does need to be a shake up by voting for Le Pen. They may not but I suspect they are less determined to come out and oppose her as they did 5 years ago.

And that leads onto another point. Most of the commentary has focused on how much Le Pen is disliked and seen as a fascist. Which is true to a large degree. But what it doesn't take into account is that Macron is actively loathed in many quarters with a degree of hatred that was never seen with a Chirac, Mitterand or even Hollande (who was just seen as useless). He has managed to p1ss off many and I would argue that the anti-Macron sentiment is as powerful as the anti-Le Pen one.

So, at 10/1 or 11/1, Le Pen seems value. I would take anything up to 6/1 - ironically, where betting on both Brexit and Trump was on the days of the votes.
    Yes. It isn't impossible.
    The difference is the polls though. There were plenty (most?) showing Leave ahead. There were a few with Trump ahead, and many within the 3% PV margin.
    There hasn't been a single one showing Le Pen winning. I agree they don't measure motivation to turnout well, mind.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Will Smith is a huge star, give it about a month and his next big movie will get announced. Nobody is going to remember this.
    Except on PB, where people will snark about it for decades every time a film of his is mentioned.
    Phil said:

mwadams said:

Phil said:

Russian troops at Chernobyl are being treated for radiation sickness in Belarus, an employee at the Ukrainian state agency overseeing the exclusion zone has claimed.

Yaroslav Yemelianenko said yesterday that 'another batch of Russians' had been taken to the 'Belarusian Radiation Medicine Center in Gomel' for treatment.

It comes after the nuclear power plant's workers said Russian soldiers' arrival at Chernobyl without anti-radiation gear when Moscow's forces seized the site last month was 'suicidal'.

Yemelianenko said the Kremlin's men had fallen ill because they failed to follow 'rules for dealing' with the Chernobyl nuclear plant and the surrounding highly toxic zone known as the Red Forest.

'With minimal intelligence in command or soldiers, these consequences could have been avoided,' he said, adding that radiation protection is 'mandatory because radiation is physics – it works without regard to status or shoulder straps.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10671373/Chernobyl-disaster-fears-Norway-tells-citizens-dust-Cold-War-bunkers.html

Those numbers are likely wrong, at least they don’t match sources I’ve found elsewhere, which suggest that the background radiation dose in the parts of Chernobyl immediately adjacent to the reactor (the “red forest“ can be /much/ higher than 10μSv/hr. According to the online sources I’ve seen, parts of the Red Forest still read levels of 10mSv/hr to this day. That’s a serious level of radiation - a level that you’d be fine with for an hour or two, but spend a few weeks there & you’re going to hit the LD50 radiation dose...

Worse, it sounds as if the Russian soldiers might have dug themselves in, which means a) they disturbed the topsoil and then b) slept on top of it. So they were potentially breathing in contaminated dust. This is much, much worse than just standing around near a radiation source.

I think the story is kind of plausible, but will wait for confirmation - I certainly wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand.

It could be that my sources for the rad levels are wrong, but the dust inhalation due to trench digging is a massive issue that the twitter poster ignores. It could well be that the soldiers have been taken for examination in case of contamination?
    Is this just another Daily Mail "massive doses of radiation from the topsoil gives you CANCER" scare story?
    Well, it didn’t originate with the DM, but random Twitter account does not a reliable source make, so...
    What?! That goes against everything I've learned in journalism school.

In all seriousness I'm not even opposed in itself to the idea of a news story around social media reaction to something, or referencing such, or being based on twitter information, but it needs to be significant and hold up, not just a quick way of padding out a story or spreading a rumour.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited March 2022
    Very interesting when you dig down into the polls. The last Opinion Way had Macron beating Le Pen 55 to 45.

The 18 to 24 age group go 65 to 35 for Macron but this completely reverses in the 25 to 34 with Le Pen winning that 63 to 37 .

The key group though is bad news for Le Pen 65+ go for Macron 64 to 36 and this as we’ve seen in the UK are much more likely to vote .

Another interesting result is men favour Macron 58 to 42 , women only narrowly 52 to 48.
    edited March 2022
    MaxPB said:

On Feb 7th Macron confidently announced to the world that his talks with Putin had resulted in preventing an invasion of Ukraine.

Honestly, it's embarrassing.
    And that is why in the words of Gordon Brown,

"I take full responsibility for what happened, I have said all along that when I saw this first I was horrified, I was shocked, I was very angry indeed. The person who was responsible went immediately and has lost his job"

French intelligence chief Vidaud fired over Russian war failings
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60938538
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042
    MrEd said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

ON topic there is one known unknown which should give any bettor pause for thought

The Debates.

We know these can be crucial from our own elections, and indyref. The French prez debates were crucial last time when Le Pen blew it.

She’s not good at debates. Presumably she’s had training. Macron is annoying but he’s eloquent and smart and knows his onions. He will hope to outclass and expose her, again

But what if he doesn’t? That’s the moment when she *could* change the game, and win. I seriously doubt that she will. Yet it is something to consider

Remember when everybody expected Obama was going to beet Romney in the debates? but Romney practiced hard and it looks like Obama did not, then on the day it was much closer perhaps even Romney won.

Could the same happen, possibly but I don't think it would overturn Macrons lead even if it did, Le Pen at best can match him, and that's not going to be enough.
    Personally, I think that the French election could be like 2016 Redux, namely people saying Trump / Brexit couldn't happen when the signs are there staring us in the face.

Yes, I would agree there are a lot of French - usually professional, university-educated, middle age types who typically would have voted Socialist - who would never vote for Le Pen. However, at least from the conversations we have had with friends who would be typical establishment centre-right voters (older, definitely bourgeois and more socially conservative), there is a feeling that maybe there does need to be a shake up by voting for Le Pen. They may not but I suspect they are less determined to come out and oppose her as they did 5 years ago.

And that leads onto another point. Most of the commentary has focused on how much Le Pen is disliked and seen as a fascist. Which is true to a large degree. But what it doesn't take into account is that Macron is actively loathed in many quarters with a degree of hatred that was never seen with a Chirac, Mitterand or even Hollande (who was just seen as useless). He has managed to p1ss off many and I would argue that the anti-Macron sentiment is as powerful as the anti-Le Pen one.

So, at 10/1 or 11/1, Le Pen seems value. I would take anything up to 6/1 - ironically, where betting on both Brexit and Trump was on the days of the votes.
    The irony is that in 2018 Trump and Brexit were in the market's memory and Le Pen was way too short at 3/1 or 4/1. Now Biden and so on has led to the opposite error, and Le Pen is much closer but much longer odds.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

…Those with assets including their home of £75,000 to £150,000 face the biggest hit, the study found.

Someone with around £110,000 in assets could lose 78% of their total wealth even after the cap is in place, while someone with £500,000 could use up only 17%.

People in Red Wall seats in North East, Yorkshire and the Midlands, where wealth tends to be lower, would “see the biggest erosion of their protection against large care costs, as a result of the proposed amendment”, the report warned.

Link, but it’s via apple news so might not work for non-subscribers: https://apple.news/Ai_9ub_HLQmijq6P-1bWm6Q

Convenient this is flying under the radar. It’s almost as if the levelling up rhetoric is all bullshit. A lot of these people will have gone Tory, cos Brexit. I hope they realise the error of their ways.

Supposedly they will ignore the financial beating they are taking, the lack of levelling up monies being spent and the growing disparity between the north and dahn sarf because she-cocked deviants are coming for our wives and daughters.
    Tories stirring up the culture war because it’s the only thing they have left?

Be interesting to see how they square that with having a trans MP in their ranks.
    I think -- given his history -- you would do well to take anything said by Jamie with some caution.

Here, he is in his Union Jack tie and mask

https://tinyurl.com/32r7h9wx

He is possibly the most bonkers Welsh Tory MP for some time -- a real accolade considering the competition.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Why??

In which case, theory.

From what I saw, he didn't understand it until his wife explained it to him. Maybe she wasn't in the rehearsal to point out to him that he shouldn't be laughing.
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Quincel said:

MrEd said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

The Debates.

The irony is that in 2018 Trump and Brexit were in the market's memory and Le Pen was way too short at 3/1 or 4/1. Now Biden and so on has led to the opposite error, and Le Pen is much closer but much longer odds.
    Yes the French election has been very weird and hard to read. I still lean strongly towards Norfolkpassmore's opinion i.e. a 58-42% Macron win on a lowish turnout but we'll see.
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Except on PB, where people will snark about it for decades every time a film of his is mentioned.
    I'll still go watch his movies though. But I'll often be thinking it highly likely he has beaten or assaulted many people during his career, given his casual justifications (he was angry, you see, which no one ever is), the fact it wasnt an instant reaction, and because bullies act that way because they know they can, so they keep doing it.
    Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

I dont agree. If you like Will Smith and his movies it wont make a scrap of diffence,
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

Be interesting to see how they square that with having a trans MP in their ranks.
    I think -- given his history -- you would do well to take anything said by Jamie with some caution.

Here, he is in his Union Jack tie and mask

https://tinyurl.com/32r7h9wx

He is possibly the most bonkers Welsh Tory MP for some time -- a real accolade considering the competition.
    Quite so.

I was aware of him before this week, not in a good way, and I wouldn't believe him if he told me today was Thursday.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why??

I don't know if this has been posted, but according to the Guardian, the Will Smith thing is white people's fault. Or something. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/29/white-outrage-about-will-smiths-slap-is-rooted-in-anti-blackness-its-inequality-in-plain-sight
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    edited March 2022
    Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

*Wants to be* trans is the term that PBers seem to be fixated upon for reasons not entirely clear to me. Wouldn't surprise me if Jamie has been told that the party will support them(?) as long as horses aren't frightened, no in depth interviews in OK! etc.

Edit: I see Mr W has stated his preferred pronouns are he/his, so 'the party will support him'.

The head of French military intelligence, Gen Eric Vidaud, is losing his job after failing to predict Russia's war in Ukraine, reports say.

Seven months after he took on the role, one report said he was blamed for "inadequate briefings" and a "lack of mastery of subjects".

The US correctly assessed that Russia was planning a large-scale invasion, while France concluded it was unlikely.

----------

I see Macron has found his fall guy.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

I disagree. The Academy has been forced to take steps, and this morning they are saying he might be expelled

Generally these things ARE forgotten. This feels different. We shall see
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

I disagree. The Academy has been forced to take steps, and this morning they are saying he might be expelled

Nah, I know a very senior exec at one of the big studios, the feeling is that no one cares. Will Smith is a huge and bankable star, this doesn't change that one iota. The Academy are an irrelevant organisation, especially now that they've given him their highest acting accolade and are unlikely to take it back.

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

*Wants to be* trans is the term that PBers seem to be fixated upon for reasons not entirely clear to me. Wouldn't surprise me if Jamie has been told that the party will support them(?) as long as horses aren't frightened, no in depth interviews in OK! etc.
    "Fixated" because it is literally what he said.

Some posters seem to be projecting quite hard onto this story, because they desperately want this to be a wedge issue for the Conservatives. It doesn't need to be, because there is nothing contradictory between supporting trans individuals, and telling trans activists to get knotted.

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

I think the point is that he tests the limits of self-certification. I'm seeing a fat cowardly liar playing a card to get out of a fix of some kind; he is a less trustworthy Boris Johnson. "Want to be trans" is just slightly odd, surely more correctly he *is* btrans and wants to be a woman?
    edited March 2022
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Nah, I know a very senior exec at one of the big studios, the feeling is that no one cares. Will Smith is a huge and bankable star, this doesn't change that one iota. The Academy are an irrelevant organisation, especially now that they've given him their highest acting accolade and are unlikely to take it back.
    Got to love the hypocritical moralising of Hollywood.....where at the end of the day, you can do what the hell you like as long as you bring in the Benjamins (that the dollar variety, not the high class hookers called Benjamin, although they are most welcome).
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    Policing Bill goes down in Lords for a third time.
    And quite right, too.
    IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

I think the point is that he tests the limits of self-certification. I'm seeing a fat cowardly liar playing a card to get out of a fix of some kind; he is a less trustworthy Boris Johnson. "Want to be trans" is just slightly odd, surely more correctly he *is* btrans and wants to be a woman?
    Tad fatphobic there....its all about body positivity these days.
  • theakestheakes Posts: 915
    It aint tight, the figures show that.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Question for PB crowdsource:

Has anyone else encountered the phenomenon whereby people are ill, ‘pass’ several LFTs (i.e. the tests are negative), yet still assume - and say - they have covid?

I’ve encountered this several times in the last few weeks. The common cold has not disappeared - and can be unpleasant.

Why do people say it’s covid when the tests say otherwise?

I've fallen guilty to this myself a bit. I had a sore throat then minor cold symptom, productive cough for about 10 days. I tested negative, but only one test cos I couldn't be arsed. I wonder if it was covid? No proof BUT with the prevalence so high, there is a good chance it was. The lateral flows are not 100% for detecting and are subject to operator error.

Also - does it matter now? I think we will be getting new advice from tomorrow when free testing ends.
    I think the free advice is "there is no more Covid so why test any more".
    You seek to be pretty ignorant if that's what you think.

I believe the free advice is "vaccines work so Covid is just another virus now, so why test any more?"

Covid or Common Cold or Flu it doesn't matter. Treat your symptoms. If you feel rotten, stay at home, as you would have before you'd even heard of Covid. If you're fine - don't.
    And all that would be fine if BA1 Omicron was the virus and we're all now jabbed so screw it. Except it isn't - BA2 is the variant making people ill and we still need to keep track of variants which can keep mutating around the vaccines. We can't track if we don't bother to test any more.

We all need to treat it as any other virus - as we all agree (now, it wasn't the other fella's position) if you are ill you stay home. But largely we know that Norovirus is the arse-spraying mayhem friend of primary schools - it is what it is. If only Covid would stay as it is.
    Covid is staying as it is. Viruses mutate, that's nothing new, but it is still Covid and the vaccine still works.

Common cold and influenza mutate too. We can monitor with scientific monitoring not every hypochondriac and their dog getting tested daily.
    Well for instance I'd like to know now if a virus I get is covid or not because, given the falling off of booster efficacy over time, I'd like to know my likely immune status in the event a nastier variant emerges this summer.
    In which case if it's idle curiosity like that you can pay for a test, just like you can pay for all sorts of other unnecessary tests etc privately.

That's what free choice and private enterprise are for, not the NHS.
    You are mad, you realise?

I have a stockpile of free tests so large I have had to move some of the loo paper into the garage, wouldn't like the tax free housing gains I've made over the years by relentlessly protesting at any form of homebuilding to be frittered away paying for that shit.
    I have a suspicion that quite a few people have accumulated vast stocks of covid tests. My work place has had then available like sweeties and the worried ones will have been swiping a box or two every day.

We have 4 packs of tests at home.

But my place of work was handing them out or they would have gone in the skip so anyone on site at the time got a few to take home
    edited March 2022
    Manchester United are exploring the possibility of including Anthony Martial to facilitate a move for Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane, sources have told ESPN.

Harry will be chaining himself to the gates of Tottenham training ground in a reversal of start of the season. Pleaseeeeeeeee can I stay after all, pleeeeeease don't send me to Man Utd, its worse than here.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

Yep, that's what I'd always assumed to be the meaning of trans, ie specifically non specific but covering a lot of non binary and gender fluid states of mind and being.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Wtf is going on with BJ’s hooter? Has he found a way to brown nose himself?

https://twitter.com/adamboultontabb/status/1509205458678128650?s=21

It's just magic dust!

Imagine if Starmer had excrement on his nose. Now that would be hilarious!
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Lol. You’re not the only person who ‘knows people in Hollywood’

I sense genuine shock. And a feeling they have to do something serious. This can never be repeated so they have to take a stand

Will Smith’s career will not end, of course.
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

I sense genuine shock. And a feeling they have to do something serious. This can never be repeated so they have to take a stand

I imagine the demand in Hollywood for high quality hand crafted bespoke flint dildos is very high.
  • Putin has just announced that from tomorrow energy will only be paid for in roubles
    IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

What fix?
    I knew nothing of this individual before yesterday - but from what I've learned in the last 24 hours it wouldn't surprise me to find he is in a fix of some sort. Though how bad a fix can it be if his only way out is changing his gender?

"Want to be trans" seems correct to me, since at present there is nothing outwardly about him which is anything but male.

Wtf is going on with BJ’s hooter? Has he found a way to brown nose himself?

https://twitter.com/adamboultontabb/status/1509205458678128650?s=21

It's just magic dust!

Imagine if Starmer had excrement on his nose. Now that would be hilarious!
    Labour's relationship with the unions is not what it was....
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why??

I don't know if this has been posted, but according to the Guardian, the Will Smith thing is white people's fault. Or something. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/29/white-outrage-about-will-smiths-slap-is-rooted-in-anti-blackness-its-inequality-in-plain-sight
    Jonathan Pie had the best reaction to that

‘Fuck me. So If you’re white and you think Will Smith is a cock for punching someone then you’re anti black.
    Fuck off the Guardian, you socially-regressive, race-baiting rag.’

https://twitter.com/jonathanpienews/status/1509158626417594376?s=21&t=EXMD_7Pl0T8-j6r4pg-41g
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,103
    IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

Bin bag full of custard?
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    edited March 2022

TimT said:

Another superb piece by Lawrence Freedman on the objectives of Putin and the mess he has got Russia into:

https://samf.substack.com/p/the-problem-with-the-donbas

Particularly important is the conclusion, that some kind of settlement in which Ukraine cedes Donbas to Russia ain't gonna work:

This is why taking Donbas is not a satisfactory consolation prize for Putin, let alone for those hardliners demanding that he stick to his maximalist objectives. It is simply a recipe for continued instability, turning Putin’s folly of 2014 into an even greater catastrophe, serving as a continuing drain on Russia’s dwindling economic and military resources.

Thanks for posting this, Richard.

This bit of Girkin's assessment of the war stood out for me:

The war, he insists, must either be won completely or it will be lost completely. Losing he acknowledges as a distinct possibility. As things stand there are only a few weeks left before the forces in the Donbas will be unable to function.

Now Girkin may well have an interest in being overly apocalyptic, but it is interesting that he sees the possibility of total defeat, and even more so that he thinks the Russian position in the Donbas might soon become untenable.
    We don't hear very much about what is happening in and around Donbas, so it's very hard to form a view as to whether that is exaggerated. Still, I think the assessment that Putin keeping Donbas as a consolation prize won't work looks compelling.
    Girkin/"Strelkov" is pretty much the major reason while Ukraine´s Russian speakers will never be pro-Putin. He is a disgusting murderer and torturer personally responsible for some particularly vile crimes in Ukraine and beyond. The fact that he and similar vermin have been in charge in the so-called DNR and LNR and the barbaric, mafia-style cruelties they are responsible for is exactly why no civilised person, Russian speaking or not, would want to have anything to do with a Putinist state in Ukraine. So if Girkin thinks that he faces complete defeat, he may well be right, but it is a deserved defeat, and he carries much of the blame personally if it happens. If this defeat leads to Girkin either being tried at The Hague and imprisoned for life, then that is the least he deserves. To be honest he will probably end up being tortured to death himself, and hard not to think that a depraved death would match the despicible life he has lived. The same, of course, also applies to the filth that sent him.

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

I imagine the demand in Hollywood for high quality hand crafted bespoke flint dildos is very high.
    Exactly. My connections are flawless
    MaxPB said:

The head of French military intelligence, Gen Eric Vidaud, is losing his job after failing to predict Russia's war in Ukraine, reports say.

Seven months after he took on the role, one report said he was blamed for "inadequate briefings" and a "lack of mastery of subjects".

The US correctly assessed that Russia was planning a large-scale invasion, while France concluded it was unlikely.

----------

I see Macron has found his fall guy.

You have to be really bad to get fired from the French Establishment.

Or be in election year.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

As indeed (it is said in Hollywood) are your flint dildos.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

All this cancelling tendency in Hollywood is quite tedious, when set in context against the decades of fawning over child rapist Roman Polanski. Will Smith seems a good lad. He slapped a cheeky bugger who was telling tired jokes that punch down. He’ll be fine.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508
    edited March 2022
    Looking and looking at it and without the effing and jeffing afterwards from Smith it all looked like a stunt. Rock leaning forward and remarkably unfazed by the actual slap. An unexpected slap to the face is a deeply discombobulating thing and Rock didn't miss a beat.

The swearing and the feud suggests it was real but it didn't otherwise look it.

IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

Bin bag full of custard?
    That flatters him but yes
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    This is quite an editorial correction:

https://twitter.com/cjr1968/status/1509453584148094980
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

All this cancelling tendency in Hollywood is quite tedious, when set in context against the decades of fawning over child rapist Roman Polanski. Will Smith seems a good lad. He slapped a cheeky bugger who was telling tired jokes that punch down. He’ll be fine.
    Polanski, and Weinstein too.

But that’s why I think this is bigger than people realise. It feels like a house of cards tumbling down, and it may be a ‘simple slap’ that starts it

Eg people are losing their shit over the sheer excess and entitlement of Hollywood and the celeb industry

Check this viral tweet.

‘Losing my mind over the items in the Oscar nominees’ gift bag this year. We truly are peasants to these people.’

https://twitter.com/filmaroni/status/1509343022340837377?s=21&t=numwisbktG4WLb_roaAnJg

‘Source because I almost didn’t believe it was real:’

https://twitter.com/filmaroni/status/1509343442991730693?s=21&t=numwisbktG4WLb_roaAnJg
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why??

‘Fuck me. So If you’re white and you think Will Smith is a cock for punching someone then you’re anti black.

https://twitter.com/jonathanpienews/status/1509158626417594376?s=21&t=EXMD_7Pl0T8-j6r4pg-41g
    Will Smith did punch an alien in Independence Day: "Welcome to Earth!"
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

Putin has just announced that from tomorrow energy will only be paid for in roubles

Actually this delaration was made a few days ago and gas flows to Europe are either down or stopped altogether. Gas pressure here in Estonia is already low, and my fairly elderly boiler keeps going out, which is a bit of a nuisance when its -9 outside. However I will take weeks of cold showers if it weakens that murderer to destruction.

We have been getting plenty of inbound cyber attacks here too. with Air Baltic being a bit of a target, so my assumption would be that cyberwar is behind the attacks on BA and on the UK energy system. Indeed, any IT failure at present is likely to be at least a knock on from very aggressive Russian cyber attack activity. I just hope that GCHQ´s much vaunted "offensive capability" is causing reasonable problems for the enemy too.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

As indeed (it is said in Hollywood) are your flint dildos.
    One would hope so. The thought of shards of silica breaking off is horrible to contemplate.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Putin really is the most boring of mass-murderers.
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why??

Will Smith did punch an alien in Independence Day: "Welcome to Earth!"
    He did a hell of a lot more punching in Ali.
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

But that’s why I think this is bigger than people realise. It feels like a house of cards tumbling down, and it may be a ‘simple slap’ that starts it

Eg people are losing their shit over the sheer excess and entitlement of Hollywood and the celeb industry

Check this viral tweet.

‘Losing my mind over the items in the Oscar nominees’ gift bag this year. We truly are peasants to these people.’

https://twitter.com/filmaroni/status/1509343022340837377?s=21&t=numwisbktG4WLb_roaAnJg

https://twitter.com/filmaroni/status/1509343442991730693?s=21&t=numwisbktG4WLb_roaAnJg
    Sure but I don’t see how it’s related. Will Smith socking one to some lippy bastard that bad mouthed his missus is what normal people would do (or want to do). It was the speech afterwards that displayed a state of over therapisation that people find it hard to relate to.

And his entire star has shone so brightly because he’s an Everyman, we all saw him as the goofy but likeable kid with Jazzy Jeff and on Fresh Prince, saw him take a step up with Bad Boys and then couldn’t believe it when OUR GUY was cast to save the earth against the aliens in the summer popcorn smash hit.

It’s the same phenomena as someone like Harry Styles or Ed Sheran, normal kids that we saw before they were polished and celeb royalty, that soared to heights that made everyone that saw them early feel good.

His response should be a simple “sorry for the display of emotion and anger but no one disrespects my family without consequence”. Job done.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Check this viral tweet.

The Lord/Lady of Glencoe stuff ... ah yes, bells ringing.

https://andywightman.scot/
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Sandpit said:

Phil said:

I think the story is entirely plausible, but will wait for confirmation - I certainly wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand.
    If they’ve been “digging in”, in the contamination zone close to the reactor, with no PPE against radiation, then their dose will have been very high over a period of weeks.

When they built the new containment structure, the biggest problem they had was getting enough trained people to work at the site, because of the strict limits on radiation exposure. In some places, each team could only work for a few minutes per day, even with extensive PPE.

I doubt the Russian army went in with Geiger counters and radiation monitor badges.
    Read the linked tweets, this is discussed. They've raised their risk of getting cancer but nobody knowledgeable-sounding thinks they'd have got radiation sickness.
    Incidentally, while I know worldometers is a little rustic in the numbers it reports, with pleasing symmetry, worldwide deaths have now reached a daily low not seen for exactly two years.

Of course, that assumes that China isn't secretly racking up thousands of deaths we're not getting to hear about.
    TOPPING said:

Looking and looking at it and without the effing and jeffing afterwards from Smith it all looked like a stunt. Rock leaning forward and remarkably unfazed by the actual slap. An unexpected slap to the face is a deeply discombobulating thing and Rock didn't miss a beat.

No. Check the videos of Chris Rock afterwards. Completely stunned. Definitely not staged

https://twitter.com/mrstanlei/status/1509266902018936833?s=21&t=numwisbktG4WLb_roaAnJg

Also Chris Rock is a dude and a pro. To carry on with the show the way he did
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    Differences in voting preferences in French elections are largely captured by a commune's (roughly the same as a precinct, for those in the US) distance from a train station

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1509523399722340357
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

My favourite is still the Australian:

“In our recent report of severe flooding we wrote that “sixty thousand pigs had been swept to their deaths”. We should have written “sixty sows and pigs…..”
    Omnium said:

There hasn't been a good tyrant since Napoleon.
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why??

Well when you start from Thomas the Tank Engine is a tyrannical totalitarian nightmare full of classism, sexism, anti-environmentalism bordering on racism, this is where you end up....

I am not making this is up, the Guardian have published more than one article claiming this.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

No. Check the videos of Chris Rock afterwards. Completely stunned. Definitely not staged

https://twitter.com/mrstanlei/status/1509266902018936833?s=21&t=numwisbktG4WLb_roaAnJg

Yeah wow that is genuine. Well done him.
  • moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Check this viral tweet.

Sure but I don’t see how it’s related. Will Smith socking one to some lippy bastard that bad mouthed his missus is what normal people would do (or want to do). It was the speech afterwards that displayed a state of over therapisation that people find it hard to relate to.

And his entire star has shone so brightly because he’s an Everyman, we all saw him as the goofy but likeable kid with Jazzy Jeff and on Fresh Prince, saw him take a step up with Bad Boys and then couldn’t believe it when OUR GUY was cast to save the earth against the aliens in the summer popcorn smash hit.

It’s the same phenomena as someone like Harry Styles or Ed Sheran, normal kids that we saw before they were polished and celeb royalty, that soared to heights that made everyone that saw them early feel good.

His response should be a simple “sorry for the display of emotion and anger but no one disrespects my family without consequence”. Job done.
    And as always, disregard everything before the "but"
    Cookie said:

Incidentally, while I know worldometers is a little rustic in the numbers it reports, with pleasing symmetry, worldwide deaths have now reached a daily low not seen for exactly two years.

Of course, that assumes that China isn't secretly racking up thousands of deaths we're not getting to hear about.

Or got to hear about in 2020...
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It was a very ugly and very stupid joke. I would hope that his career is extinguished. Far more at fault than Smith.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Off topic, my wife is on her way to visit childhood friends in Kent. Chaos on the ECML means that after being sat going nowhere for an hour and a half her train was then terminated at Newark. Hopefully she'll reach her destination before the day is out. Either that or she'll be back home later!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    dixiedean said:

++Betting Post ++
    Smarkets has a 63% chance of a Tory hold in the Melton council by-election tonight. This looks free money to this observer.
    They've held this ward every time this Century.
    Only possible fly in the ointment is there is a LD candidate this time. They've never stood before. But with a Labour one too, I can't see other than a hold.
    DYOR as ever, mind.

Pork pie country.

“In our recent report of severe flooding we wrote that “sixty thousand pigs had been swept to their deaths”. We should have written “sixty sows and pigs…..”
    There was also the Australian local newspaper than transcribed an advert from someone selling their home with the warning "no Asians" when it should have been something completely innocuous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lyex2tSUyA

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why??

Well when you start from Thomas the Tank Engine is a tyrannical totalitarian nightmare full of classism, sexism, anti-environmentalism bordering on racism, this is where you end up....

I am not making this is up, the Guardian have published more than one article claiming this.
    Ha ha - do you remember 'Meerkats adverts are racist'?

Omnium said:

Wrong. D’Annunzio the dictator of Fiume. 1919

This is just how it BEGAN, and it got better

“After a necromantic ceremony with his mistress in a cemetery in Venice he set out to conquer Fiume,”

One excerpt:

‘According to Bey’s account: Artists, bohemians, adventurers, anarchists (D’Annunzio corresponded with Malatesta), fugitives and Stateless refugees, homosexuals, military dandies (the uniform was black with pirate skull-&-crossbones, later stolen by the SS), and crank reformers of every stripe (including Buddhists, Theosophists and Vedantists) began to show up at Fiume in droves. The party never stopped. Every morning D’Annunzio read poetry and manifestos from his balcony; every evening a concert, then fireworks. This made up the entire activity of the government.’

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/articles/gabriele-d-annunzio-and-the-free-state-of-fiume/
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,480
    edited March 2022
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It was a very ugly and very stupid joke. I would hope that his career is extinguished. Far more at fault than Smith.
    It was an ugly and very stupid joke but making a mistake or bad joke shouldn't lead to people getting cancelled.

A slap was well deserved, losing his career is not. Though it's amusing the number of people who seem to think people losing their career and being cancelled is less distressing and less severe than a slap.

But sows ARE pigs!
  • XtrainXtrain Posts: 341
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

Bin bag full of custard?
    I don't fancy his/her chances at the next election much!
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It’s quite easy to make jokes at the expense of others. It’s why most of us do it to our mates down the pub, because we’re not pro comedians who can deploy more sophisticated humour. But most of us do it in a jovial friendly way and don’t seek to humiliate the target.

You’d expect far better than this punching down from a comedian of Chris Rock’s stature. Perhaps he’d have got away with knocking Will Smith himself down a peg or two, as part of a routine about all the best actor nominees. Easily done as others have said, given things like the excessive party bag. But to go for his wife over a medical condition was bizarre.

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It was an ugly and very stupid joke but making a mistake or bad joke shouldn't lead to people getting cancelled.

A slap was well deserved, losing his career is not. Though it's amusing the number of people who seem to think people losing their career and being cancelled is less distressing and less severe than a slap.
    You're right.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Chancellor to @bbclaurak: "Someone said, 'Joe Root, Will Smith, and me – not the best of weekends for any of us.'

"But I feel, on reflection, both Will Smith and me having our wives attacked – at least I didn’t get up and slap anybody, which is good."

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1509533618691096578
  • Cicero said:

Putin has just announced that from tomorrow energy will only be paid for in roubles

Actually this delaration was made a few days ago and gas flows to Europe are either down or stopped altogether. Gas pressure here in Estonia is already low, and my fairly elderly boiler keeps going out, which is a bit of a nuisance when its -9 outside. However I will take weeks of cold showers if it weakens that murderer to destruction.

We have been getting plenty of inbound cyber attacks here too. with Air Baltic being a bit of a target, so my assumption would be that cyberwar is behind the attacks on BA and on the UK energy system. Indeed, any IT failure at present is likely to be at least a knock on from very aggressive Russian cyber attack activity. I just hope that GCHQ´s much vaunted "offensive capability" is causing reasonable problems for the enemy too.
    This was today and Sky have said just now that Germany and France are to pay in euros and Putin has confirmed gas supply will be halted

Sky have said France may not be as seriously affected as Germany but that both countries are ready to implement emergency measures

I would suggest this is far more important that millionaire celebrities acting badly, as they do, or issues around women
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Check this viral tweet.

Most of the stuff that makes up the $140,000 total is the equivalent of the rubbish money off vouchers for Virgin Wines that are stuffed into every subscription magazine.

A load of nonsense.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,219
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Why??

Check this viral tweet.

The tea gift set seems a bit meagre in comparison to the other elements…
    edited March 2022
    moonshine said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It’s quite easy to make jokes at the expense of others. It’s why most of us do it to our mates down the pub, because we’re not pro comedians who can deploy more sophisticated humour. But most of us do it in a jovial friendly way and don’t seek to humiliate the target.

You’d expect far better than this punching down from a comedian of Chris Rock’s stature. Perhaps he’d have got away with knocking Will Smith himself down a peg or two, as part of a routine about all the best actor nominees. Easily done as others have said, given things like the excessive party bag. But to go for his wife over a medical condition was bizarre.
    This idea of "punching up" vs "punching down" is an insidious concept that has crept into thinking of some in comedy and with a weird belief that everybody is on board with it. If you only punch up, a very successful comedians like Carr and Gervais routine would have to become taking the piss out literally the Queen and Boris.

Interestingly, the most popular British comedian online at the moment (by a country mile), his whole act is taking the piss out of normal folk in the audience. Some of it is incredibly brutal, but gets millions of hits and selling every show.
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Wrong. D’Annunzio the dictator of Fiume. 1919

This is just how it BEGAN, and it got better

“After a necromantic ceremony with his mistress in a cemetery in Venice he set out to conquer Fiume,”

One excerpt:

‘According to Bey’s account: Artists, bohemians, adventurers, anarchists (D’Annunzio corresponded with Malatesta), fugitives and Stateless refugees, homosexuals, military dandies (the uniform was black with pirate skull-&-crossbones, later stolen by the SS), and crank reformers of every stripe (including Buddhists, Theosophists and Vedantists) began to show up at Fiume in droves. The party never stopped. Every morning D’Annunzio read poetry and manifestos from his balcony; every evening a concert, then fireworks. This made up the entire activity of the government.’

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/articles/gabriele-d-annunzio-and-the-free-state-of-fiume/
    And where is Fiume today? I'll tell you - it's now the CROATIAN city of Rijeka!
    Is it true that Will Smith was shown initially laughing at Chris Rock's joke, and it was only AFTER he saw the reaction on Jada's face that he got up to hit Rock?
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375

Is it true that Will Smith was shown initially laughing at Chris Rock's joke, and it was only AFTER he saw the reaction on Jada's face that he got up to hit Rock?

Thats exactly what happened.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Xtrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

‘Levelling up’…

Bin bag full of custard?
    I don't fancy his/her chances at the next election much!
    His old seat won't exist. Or rather it is changed out of all recognition.

The new Bridgend seat is 78.2 % (Labour dominated) Ogmore in a reverse takeover.

The rest of old Bridgend disappears into Aberafan-Porthcawl (Stephen Kinnock's seat).

So, bang, bang, Dr Jamie's gone. I bet he doesn't even stand.

But, I suspect we will be hearing more from Dr Jamie before 2024 -- while he still has his moments in the Sun.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    The Russian Defence Ministry says attacks on residential buildings in Kharkiv are being carried out by Ukrainian nationalist "flying death squads"

Of course, it has nothing to do with Russian airstrikes

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1509239572886130689
This discussion has been closed.