Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The seat with a CON GE2019 72% share where Johnson can’t risk a by-election – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    carnforth said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Drinking English fizz all day in Regent's Park.

Blissful.

Hammered.

Which fizz? Had some Camel Valley brut, from your (former) neck of the woods - very nice.
    Nyetimber Rose

It is excellent. World class

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/rose-wine/nyetimber-rose-nv-591150
    Clearly no cost of living crisis among flint knapper of the world....

I can concur it good stuff.
    The best pink fizz in the world? Gotta be up there.

Also it consistently surprises. You give it to friends and the older and less up-to-speed presume it is French or maybe Italian or even American, but it is British and English and ours and it is exquisite. Pricey, however
    One of the best moments we had at the office pre-COVID was a blind testing of sparkling wines across Europe and our French unit director picking Nytimber over the Champagne option (which was in the £50-60 range iirc). He's never been able to live it down.
    Nyetimber is fantastic.

I would also like to suggest the US champagnes made by the French houses in Napa - not least because they are excellent value. Mumm Napa is about 15 quit.
    The best Californian sparklers are good, but they lack the delicacy of good champagne. England produces just about the only sparkling wines which are genuinely up there with the best.
    I would agree that Nyetimber is genuinely outstanding. But it's also 4-5x the price of Chandon, Mumm Napa or Roederer Estate.
    The standard Nyetimber is £27.69 at Waitrose. Were you thinking of some fancier cuvee?
    Wow. I'm sorry, I thought it was 40 quid, vs 15 dollars for Mumm Napa.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    biggles said:

In the discussion of a bye for Ukraine to the World Cup, has anyone suggested kicking Russia out and having Scotland play Poland instead?

You'd have one too many teams then, wouldn't you?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    That's England in the Seventies.
    I was 15 before I was aware of England in a World Cup.
    11 for me - my first World Cup memory is Ray Houghton scoring against Italy in 94.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138
    AlistairM said:

Italy are out of the World Cup before it has even started. They lost 1-0 to North Macedonia. Look at the shot stats!

Imagine the score if they played the whole of Macedonia.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!
    Italy 0-1 North Macedonia

How?
    North Macedonia are not a bad side, and you know those 1 in 20 chances? Sometimes they do come off.
    AlistairM said:

Italy are out of the World Cup before it has even started. They lost 1-0 to North Macedonia. Look at the shot stats!

Quality not quantity. It was good finish by the Macedonian.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

biggles said:

In the discussion of a bye for Ukraine to the World Cup, has anyone suggested kicking Russia out and having Scotland play Poland instead?

dixiedean said:

biggles said:

Postpones the problem though. This round, Russia just “loses” and Scotland and Poland both get a game. Later on you could redesign the paths and extract Ukraine, taking it straight through.
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    11 for me - my first World Cup memory is Ray Houghton scoring against Italy in 94.
    Strangely I remember the day of the 1970 World Cup Final really well. It was our kid's Christening. We had a football pitch cake with chocolate goalposts. I was three. His Godfather was a distinctly less than gruntled Italian.
    His mood didn't improve when he discovered the score!
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!

How?
    North Macedonia are not a bad side, and you know those 1 in 20 chances? Sometimes they do come off.
    I guess they can't be that bad if they reached the play-offs, but still, it is a striking scoreline.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,174
    edited March 2022

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!

How?
    So, if we call ourselves North England when we next play Italy, it'll be right.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    I can remember watching with my Dad at breakfast time England Lose a semi final to Brazil, the ball deflecting over the goal keeper. I must have been about 6. I remember the goal and goalkeeper, a horrible greasy looking man.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Which one of you bloody jinxed it!

It was @FrancisUrquhart :smile:
    Snitch.

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!

How?
    Surely Pandev will come out of International retirement if they qualify?
    He's still playing for Parma in Serie B.

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    I can remember watching with my Dad at breakfast time England Lose a semi final to Brazil, the ball deflecting over the goal keeper. I must have been about 6. I remember the goal and goalkeeper, a horrible greasy looking man.
    Your memory is not entirely accurate.

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Snitch.
    Nah, he fessed up.

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    Please don't hate me for this:

It was the quarter final. It didn't take a deflection, he just overhit it (he never meant it, whatever he says).

But it was Brazil's hardest match. The bloody Germans made the final despite being average.

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    Trust me, he looked greasy and ugly.

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Snitch.
    Nah, he fessed up.

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    Trust me, he looked greasy and ugly.
    Your dad?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    I thinking it was David Seaman and Ronaldinho the scorer, but a quarter final.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,174
    edited March 2022
    If one heads North to click the header strap, Mrs Cyclefree has a new Macedonia awaiting.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wales win!

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

Two in a row.
    I thinking it was David Seaman and Ronaldinho the scorer, but a quarter final.
    But that was only two or three years ago surely?….
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    This thread has

chopped on after @FrancisUrquhart said something silly.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783

Taz said:

Saqib Mahmood has now hit more sixes in Test cricket (1) than Jonathan Trott (0).

What a fact.

Trott never hit a six in test cricket !!
    The best batsmen always play along the floor.
    Even Brahman hit the (very) occasional six.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    More dire headlines for Sunak.

Has there ever been a worse budget?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,103
    HYUFD said:

#RishiAntoinette now trending on twitter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10647291/Rishi-Sunak-refuses-answer-questions-wifes-stake-Indian-firm-Russian-connections.html

"Rishi Sunak refuses to answer questions about his millionaire wife's stake in Indian firm with Russian connections amid western sanctions after being asked if his family 'could be benefitting from Putin's regime'."
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,369
    edited March 2022

Endillion said:

John 'make BBC like netflix' Whittingdale as head of Ofcom?

That John?

Its hard to imagine right now the BBC becoming as good as Netflix, but why cap their ambitions?

If the BBC think they can rival Netflix in the future, good luck to them, if they can find the subscribers.
    On current trend, give it a few more years, and Netflix will become as good as the BBC.
    In a relatively few years, the BBC will cease non-internet broadcasting. The frequencies will be reused for other purposes.

The BBC will be a streaming service, delivering all content by that mechanism.

On the other hand, maybe in a few years' time people will get sick of using the internet for everything and go back to using analogue technology.
This discussion has been closed.