Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The seat with a CON GE2019 72% share where Johnson can’t risk a by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Have we discussed this?

Boris Johnson backs idea of Ukraine bye to World Cup - which could eliminate Scotland

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/24/boris-johnson-makes-embarrassing-euro-2028-gaffe-backs-ukraine/

The PM admitted he was clueless
    If he'd had any self awareness he would just have left it there.
    Where were you when I posted my Battle of Maldon* pun ?

*Autocorrect keeps trying to change it to Maldonado.
    Sorry, I was just Unready.
    I though there had to be a reason you kept your counsel.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Boris is quite likely to lose his own seat.

I expect he will have retired to the International lecture circuit and received the freedom of Ukraine before then
    I do find it incredible that ex-PMs are rewarded so well for such things. There are very few politicians that I'd care to spend time listening to.

It's for services rendered whilst in post isn't it? Would be fairly easy to see whether the companies booking former politicos for these gigs had been the recipient of Government largesse during their tenure. Nice British way of doing things. It's the people who have to be in the audience that I feel sorry for. Though at least Boris would probably give value for money.
    Mostly our PMs have been poor since the end of ww2.

The best regarded have I guess been Atlee and Thatcher.

Blair will in my view get a much better press, as will Cameron. Brown, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan - hopeless to a man.

(I know I'm missing a couple, but I have no view on them)
    Cameron worse, for his reverse Midas touch on Europe, Scotland, NHS, UC; Brown better, for leading the response to the GFC; Wilson, possibly better, for OU, abortion, hanging, Vietnam, though he is often derided as a tactician rather than strategist. But Ted Heath, by taking us into Europe, is arguably the most consequential of all those.
    Heath! Wow.

Thanks very much for a post that has made me think your Decreporship :)

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,101
    edited March 2022

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I expect he will have retired to the International lecture circuit and received the freedom of Ukraine before then
    I do find it incredible that ex-PMs are rewarded so well for such things. There are very few politicians that I'd care to spend time listening to.

It's for services rendered whilst in post isn't it? Would be fairly easy to see whether the companies booking former politicos for these gigs had been the recipient of Government largesse during their tenure. Nice British way of doing things. It's the people who have to be in the audience that I feel sorry for. Though at least Boris would probably give value for money.

Blair will in my view get a much better press, as will Cameron. Brown, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan - hopeless to a man.

Cameron worse, for his reverse Midas touch on Europe, Scotland, NHS, UC; Brown better, for leading the response to the GFC; Wilson, possibly better, for OU, abortion, hanging, Vietnam, though he is often derided as a tactician rather than strategist. But Ted Heath, by taking us into Europe, is arguably the most consequential of all those.
    And until Johnson also the worst.

Edit. Actually I will revise that. Until May also the worst. But Johnson is worse than all of them.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    C’mon Cymru!!!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Drinking English fizz all day in Regent's Park.

Blissful.

Hammered.

Which fizz? Had some Camel Valley brut, from your (former) neck of the woods - very nice.
    Nyetimber Rose

It is excellent. World class

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/rose-wine/nyetimber-rose-nv-591150
    Clearly no cost of living crisis among flint knapper of the world....

I can concur it good stuff.
    The best pink fizz in the world? Gotta be up there.

Also it consistently surprises. You give it to friends and the older and less up-to-speed presume it is French or maybe Italian or even American, but it is British and English and ours and it is exquisite. Pricey, however
    One of the best moments we had at the office pre-COVID was a blind testing of sparkling wines across Europe and our French unit director picking Nytimber over the Champagne option (which was in the £50-60 range iirc). He's never been able to live it down.
    Nyetimber is fantastic.

I would also like to suggest the US champagnes made by the French houses in Napa - not least because they are excellent value. Mumm Napa is about 15 quit.
    edited March 2022

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Edit. Actually I will revise that. Until May also the worst. But Johnson is worse than all of them.
    Boris is easily the worst PM ever. (I'm a Tory)

(Actually Brown was worse, but I'd sort of forgotten him, as we all should.)
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Blissful.

Hammered.

Which fizz? Had some Camel Valley brut, from your (former) neck of the woods - very nice.
    Nyetimber Rose

Also it consistently surprises. You give it to friends and the older and less up-to-speed presume it is French or maybe Italian or even American, but it is British and English and ours and it is exquisite. Pricey, however
    One of the best moments we had at the office pre-COVID was a blind testing of sparkling wines across Europe and our French unit director picking Nytimber over the Champagne option (which was in the £50-60 range iirc). He's never been able to live it down.
    Nyetimber is fantastic.

I would also like to suggest the US champagnes made by the French houses in Napa - not least because they are excellent value. Mumm Napa is about 15 quit.
    Not sure we can get that in the UK, not that I've looked. I'm not a huge sparkling wine drinker and now that my wife can't drink we don't tend to get the stuff.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Blissful.

Hammered.

Nyetimber Rose

Nyetimber is fantastic.

At that price I can take it or leave it.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Probably true: but he was the better candidate in 2019.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

According to NYT bit I linked, not only are the Russian foot soldiers using unsecure radio and normal cell phones, apparently even General are communicating via this method. They claim that one of those killed was as a direct result of being tracked via cell phone communications.

If the NYT can get this info, the likes of the US / UK intelligence services must be having a field day with it. No wonder the Ukranian SoF lot appear to know a hell of a lot about when and where to hit things.

That was being reported from the start.

If they are matching triangulated transmissions with data from JSTARS radar aircraft, etc, then the US has a real-time map of who, what, where and when for the Russians.
    As tragic as the situation is, it is nice to be finally able to get one over Putin.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Blissful.

Hammered.

Nyetimber Rose

Nyetimber is fantastic.

At that price I can take it or leave it.
    I don’t know, at that price overindulgence won’t lead you to rack and ruinart.

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Yes. Boris is not so bad as he appears. Nothing forgives Corbyn.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110
    edited March 2022

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Boris is sui generis and near-impossible for me to rank with other Prime Ministers.

He has a complete disregard for facts. It's not even lying half the time. Some of it does not even reach the status of bullshit. Take his two recent football gaffes which would sink the UK/Ireland hosting bid and eliminate Scotland. He must know there will be consequences to his suggestions but cannot be bothered to think them through. The man seems oblivious to any objective reality.
  • Bales 1 Austria 0
    Bale!
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256

According to NYT bit I linked, not only are the Russian foot soldiers using unsecure radio and normal cell phones, apparently even General are communicating via this method. They claim that one of those killed was as a direct result of being tracked via cell phone communications.

If the NYT can get this info, the likes of the US / UK intelligence services must be having a field day with it. No wonder the Ukranian SoF lot appear to know a hell of a lot about when and where to hit things.

According to C4 News, Russian state television had helpfully shown pictures of the exact location of the supply ship before the Ukrainians blew it up.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

No, he is definitely as bad as he appears. He just isn't quite as bad as Corbyn.
    rcs1000 said:

There is lots to dislike about Boris (mendacity, laziness, etc.).

But he also - instinctively - got three things absolutely correct: the need to cauterize Brexit as an issue, by - you know - actually Brexiting; vaccines; and Ukraine.

You are absolutely right, on one hand Boris is absolutely too slack, on the other he can be quite forceful.

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

No, he is definitely as bad as he appears. He just isn't quite as bad as Corbyn.
    Well yes. Hard to quibble.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

But he also - instinctively - got three things absolutely correct: the need to cauterize Brexit as an issue, by - you know - actually Brexiting; vaccines; and Ukraine.

You are absolutely right, on one hand Boris is absolutely too slack, on the other he can be quite forceful.

Was that taken at swearing in event for the Azov brigade? And why Boris was so keen to go to Ukraine himself?
    rcs1000 said:

What did he get right about Ukraine?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    I see England are actually batting deep today.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Blissful.

Hammered.

Nyetimber Rose

Nyetimber is fantastic.

The best Californian sparklers are good, but they lack the delicacy of good champagne. England produces just about the only sparkling wines which are genuinely up there with the best.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Theresa May commands enormous sums would you believe
    It’s not just ex-PMs. An industry group I know hired Naga Munchety to be their guest speaker at an event recently.

Firstly she’s dull as shit.
    Secondly she has absolutely nothing remotely that you could say she could impart to the guests of interest.
    Third she cost an absolute fortune.

It’s absolutely amazing how people will spend serious money to have a “name” speak at an event when there is absolutely no benefit apart from the hope that some sad individuals are excited by seeing someone off the television in their presence.

When you could have me with a fund of stories entertainingly told and at a much more reasonable price ......
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, I agree.
    I'm no fan of the man.
    But many people seem so constantly furious with him that they reflexively assume everything he does must be wrong.
    Like most PMs, he gets more right than wrong. And he's definitely been right on the issues you say. I'd also add removing covid restrictions. Even if he was ultimately forced into it.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    I saw this filth through Woking tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H8HyRIeKL8

Slightly concerned by the use of tarpaulin. I assume no beta or gamma emitters inside!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    rcs1000 said:

the need to cauterize Brexit as an issue, by - you know - actually Brexiting

It remains a suppurating wound, and Truss wants to press on it...
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Boris is sui generis and near-impossible for me to rank with other Prime Ministers.

He has a complete disregard for facts. It's not even lying half the time. Some of it does not even reach the status of bullshit. Take his two recent football gaffes which would sink the UK/Ireland hosting bid and eliminate Scotland. He must know there will be consequences to his suggestions but cannot be bothered to think them through. The man seems oblivious to any objective reality.
    We've had people who failed at being PM before. May, definitely. Brown, pretty much. Major towards the end. The enormity and impossibility of the job broke them. (Something similar may be happening to Sunak at No 11 right now).

Then there are PMs who had a plan that was a bad one. Depending on your views, Heath or Cameron.

But at some level, they all believed in and achieved something. And it wasn't totally crazy that they got to the summit.

But Johnson? Completely different, and far worse, category.
    I go back as far as Wilson and Heath and in my voting life time I consider the worst three to be Boris, May and Brown.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    Have to say, have never spent any time on twitter before the last couple of days following news from Ukraine. And my verdict - some of the comments are priceless

For example, following the attack on the ships at Berdyansk: "Ukrainian fisherman to Ukrainian farmer: 'Hold onto my beer, mate'."
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,103
    Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It’s not just ex-PMs. An industry group I know hired Naga Munchety to be their guest speaker at an event recently.

Secondly she has absolutely nothing remotely that you could say she could impart to the guests of interest.

It’s absolutely amazing how people will spend serious money to have a “name” speak at an event when there is absolutely no benefit apart from the hope that some sad individuals are excited by seeing someone off the television in their presence.

When you could have me with a fund of stories entertainingly told and at a much more reasonable price ......
    "Now we're just haggling about the price!" :innocent:
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

I see England are actually batting deep today.

It really shows up the top order batsman. This isn't a world class attack like they faced in Australia.
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh come on, the UK has been at the absolute forefront of supporting the Ukrainians with useful weapons. Now, one can argue that this relationship goes back to Cameron, but nevertheless, under Johnson's premiership the UK has led the way.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Foxy said:

Some people are quite funny about sanctions. The fact they haven't yet affected Putin's decision making doesn't mean they are a bad idea. He has shown himself to be a grave threat to world peace and his regime needs to be weakened as much as possible. In time the sanctions will certainly cripple his ability to fight wars and pay for his own protection. So people in plenty of other countries can sleep easier (not much solace for Ukrainians I know). Are they enough? Well we are sending weapons to Ukraine. The rest comes down to what chances you are prepared to take with a nuclear armed power. Some people probably interpret the current crisis through the lens of 1940 (aka we will never surrender) whereas for others it feels more like 1962 and Cuba.

Another point on the sanction don't work myth. They failed to topple Saddam in Iraq. Well yes if you believe that was the purpose of the sanctions there. However they did weaken him, stop him launching more wars and building a WMD programme. As we found out in 2003. Whether on a cost benefit analysis the sanctions were for the better is a harder question to answer.

One of the problems of sanctions is that they strengthen the position of those who control the scarce resources.
    A key point is Russian dependency on Western technology and integration of their manufacturing with global supply chains. If the sanctions are implemented properly then their manufacturing will seize up. There has already been one report that tank manufacturing has had to be halted.
    I had an interesting conversation with a Polish guy last night at the cheap wine bar. He said that the UK has proven it's commitment to a free Ukraine and wider Eastern Europe with actions while the EU has given nothing but cheap words. He also picked up on the Renault/Total stuff and a French girl in the wider group was definitely pretty sheepish, especially about Total continuing to profit from Russian gas and allowing Russia to continue pumping out oil and gas to fund the war effort.

The Polish guy suggested that maybe the EU were wrong to push the UK towards the exit door and many, many more concessions should have been given to the UK on immigration and benefits to keep the UK in the tent. He blames Donald Tusk who he said sold Eastern European countries a dream where the UK would never leave the EU and to keep a hard line on migrant benefits. The look of horror on the French girl's face when he was saying that the EU would have been better off dumping France and keeping the UK was great to see.

I think France's duplicity wrt companies doing business in Russia is being noticed across Eastern Europe and those Macron/Putin phone calls are less appreciated than the French like to think. I think in Eastern Europe they think Macron is itching to sell them out so he can present a big peace plan before the election and rehabilitate Putin internationally. There was an Estonian-Danish girl who said the same as well, European trust in Macron is way lower than the British press likes to imply.
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh come on, the UK has been at the absolute forefront of supporting the Ukrainians with useful weapons. Now, one can argue that this relationship goes back to Cameron, but nevertheless, under Johnson's premiership the UK has led the way.
    He hasn't positively shat the bed, sure, but there's been no major decision that he could have made differently. Other than not airlifting a bunch of pets (that we know of)
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

If they are matching triangulated transmissions with data from JSTARS radar aircraft, etc, then the US has a real-time map of who, what, where and when for the Russians.
    Even a few days in there were reports on this happening. It's not just locating people — you can locate a mobile phone to about a 100 metres in a network for a urban environment purely from the signalling necessary to move from cell to cell — the people poring over the data will know the IMEI (equipment) and IMSI (subscriber) and undoubtably be looking for those with a non-Ukrainian origin. There will be a database of Russian phones and SIMs, and any other ones that look suspicious, as well as metadata and communication content, that is being systematically turned into a graph showing the flow of communications to identify high value targets and the structure of the forces and their movement.

I honestly believe that the US intelligence agencies have a better view of the where the Russians are in Ukraine than the Russians do.
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

He hasn't positively shat the bed, sure, but there's been no major decision that he could have made differently. Other than not airlifting a bunch of pets (that we know of)
    January, the UK were making lots of supply flights to Ukraine when other European countries weren't in the picture. I doubt Boris was personally scheduling flights, but i would have thought he have to give the nod to make such a move. This meant when the war broke out, especially SoF were very well armed.
    Mahmood has now reached the same number of runs in his first test innings that he has managed in a dozen T20 internationals.
  • I wonder how many women @Leon has shouted at today

That’s an unpleasant tone to set for the discussion
    In the way they attacked my mental health issues, frankly they deserve it
    MaxPB said:

I had an interesting conversation with a Polish guy last night at the cheap wine bar. He said that the UK has proven it's commitment to a free Ukraine and wider Eastern Europe with actions while the EU has given nothing but cheap words. He also picked up on the Renault/Total stuff and a French girl in the wider group was definitely pretty sheepish, especially about Total continuing to profit from Russian gas and allowing Russia to continue pumping out oil and gas to fund the war effort.

The Polish guy suggested that maybe the EU were wrong to push the UK towards the exit door and many, many more concessions should have been given to the UK on immigration and benefits to keep the UK in the tent. He blames Donald Tusk who he said sold Eastern European countries a dream where the UK would never leave the EU and to keep a hard line on migrant benefits. The look of horror on the French girl's face when he was saying that the EU would have been better off dumping France and keeping the UK was great to see.

I think France's duplicity wrt companies doing business in Russia is being noticed across Eastern Europe and those Macron/Putin phone calls are less appreciated than the French like to think. I think in Eastern Europe they think Macron is itching to sell them out so he can present a big peace plan before the election and rehabilitate Putin internationally. There was an Estonian-Danish girl who said the same as well, European trust in Macron is way lower than the British press likes to imply.

Haven't pretty much all the French companies - except Total - now seen the light in Russia? We've seen BNP, CA, Schlumberger, and Renault all exit it in the last 48 hours.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    MaxPB said:

Interesting.

But "The look of horror on the French girl's face when he was saying that the EU would have been better off dumping France and keeping the UK was great to see."

She seems to not know that the whole originating purpose of the EU was to keep France and Germany from going to war with each other ever again.

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Blissful.

Hammered.

Nyetimber Rose

Nyetimber is fantastic.

The best Californian sparklers are good, but they lack the delicacy of good champagne. England produces just about the only sparkling wines which are genuinely up there with the best.
    I would agree that Nyetimber is genuinely outstanding. But it's also 4-5x the price of Chandon, Mumm Napa or Roederer Estate.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I think the Western approach should be to covertly encourage regime change in Russia. Make it clear big economic help post-war if they have a clear-out of leadership and turn away from ultra-nationalism. We must guard against short termism and fools who think that a deal can be struck with Putin. If a deal to pause or stop the conflict has to be struck with Putin for humanitarian reasons West must continue the struggle by other means to oust him.
    rcs1000 said:

Mahmood has now reached the same number of runs in his first test innings that he has managed in a dozen T20 internationals.

Mahmood is now closing in on his highest ever first class score (33).
    Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

God yes, unless you are Naga’s partner in crime Charlie Stayt, in disguise…

The trouble is what to believe and what not to believe. The Today programme the other day stated that Russian soldiers were not allowed to have, let alone use, mobile phones. That seemed unlikely to me, but if true makes the above impossible.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

I think the Western approach should be to covertly encourage regime change in Russia. Make it clear big economic help post-war if they have a clear-out of leadership and turn away from ultra-nationalism. We must guard against short termism and fools who think that a deal can be struck with Putin. If a deal to pause or stop the conflict has to be struck with Putin for humanitarian reasons West must continue the struggle by other means to oust him.

The "vulgar palace in the Middle East" option - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/03/09/what-to-do-with-a-cornered-rat/.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Haven't pretty much all the French companies - except Total - now seen the light in Russia? We've seen BNP, CA, Schlumberger, and Renault all exit it in the last 48 hours.
    This was last night and in Mexico where the news runs a day behind at least. Total really need to act now or face sanctions.

I also didn't like that Renault are going to attempt to profit from their stake in the Russian car manufacturer rather than do what BP and She'll did. They really can't see beyond their own balance sheet.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

I wonder how many women @Leon has shouted at today

‘Oh I think you’ve come to the wrong forum, you are looking for pointless slagging off people you don’t like, next door’...
    Chill out man, plenty of interesting stuff to post about, without just trying to wind people up.
    What’s your take on the level pegging poll? Churn? War effect?

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

January, the UK were making lots of supply flights to Ukraine when other European countries weren't in the picture. I doubt Boris was personally scheduling flights, but i would have thought he have to give the nod to make such a move. This meant when the war broke out, especially SoF were very well armed.
    Very fortunately, we happened to have Ben Wallace at Defence at the right time. I suppose we have to give Boris some credit for that, but, looking at his other appointments, it's probably just pure luck.
    glw said:

Even a few days in there were reports on this happening. It's not just locating people — you can locate a mobile phone to about a 100 metres in a network for a urban environment purely from the signalling necessary to move from cell to cell — the people poring over the data will know the IMEI (equipment) and IMSI (subscriber) and undoubtably be looking for those with a non-Ukrainian origin. There will be a database of Russian phones and SIMs, and any other ones that look suspicious, as well as metadata and communication content, that is being systematically turned into a graph showing the flow of communications to identify high value targets and the structure of the forces and their movement.

I honestly believe that the US intelligence agencies have a better view of the where the Russians are in Ukraine than the Russians do.
    I don't think I'd fully appreciated this. They're communicating with mobile phones? Using the Ukrainian networks?! Really? I'm no comms paranoid but I think I'd find a more secure method than that.
    It's not as if they're using a language which is particularly obscure to the enemy. Ukraine is teeming with people who speak Russian.
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

This was last night and in Mexico where the news runs a day behind at least. Total really need to act now or face sanctions.

I also didn't like that Renault are going to attempt to profit from their stake in the Russian car manufacturer rather than do what BP and She'll did. They really can't see beyond their own balance sheet.
    I suspect BP and Shell will end up getting something for their Russian stakes.
    rcs1000 said:

They’ll need the new ball at this rate...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    Interestingly Maldon was once a Labour seat. Tom Driberg won it for Labour from 1945-1951 and it was also Labour in 1923
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldon_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    rcs1000 said:

So it's not the bowling is any good or the pitch is wicked, it's just our batsmen are a bit shit?

Just as well we've got our first choice attack then.
    60 run last wicket partnership in the West Indies...
    kjh said:

The trouble is what to believe and what not to believe. The Today programme the other day stated that Russian soldiers were not allowed to have, let alone use, mobile phones. That seemed unlikely to me, but if true makes the above impossible.
    It's entirely possible that (a) they're not allowed to have/use mobile phones; and (b) a meaningful subset of them have mobile phones.
    rcs1000 said:

60 run last wicket partnership in the West Indies...

Hate it when it’s happens to us (Ashton Agar...). Loving this!
    10 and 11 now England's highest scorers. Has that ever happened before?
    edited March 2022

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Very fortunately, we happened to have Ben Wallace at Defence at the right time. I suppose we have to give Boris some credit for that, but, looking at his other appointments, it's probably just pure luck.
    Of course the minster will have been responsible for the day to day operation, but that will have only happened based after the "big dog" agreeing this is the strategy. He is still overall a useless leader, but on this the right call appears to have been made in January (albeit I would have thought all previous PMs would have made the same decision, but Corbyn wouldn't have).
    Leach is now the top England scorer, and Mahmood is number two.

You would have got pretty good odds on that before the game.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I suspect BP and Shell will end up getting something for their Russian stakes.
    Potentially but 100% of the value has already been written off. The recoveries will be pennies on the dollar as well.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    Cookie said:

I don't think I'd fully appreciated this. They're communicating with mobile phones? Using the Ukrainian networks?! Really? I'm no comms paranoid but I think I'd find a more secure method than that.
    It's not as if they're using a language which is particularly obscure to the enemy. Ukraine is teeming with people who speak Russian.

Yes there have been numerous reports of them doing such stuff. Even having a Russian phone switched on, or a Russian SIM in a phone, in Ukraine is dangerous. So if some conscript with a mobile is sat in a vehicle in a convoy trundling down some Ukrainian road it's highly likely that somebody knows instantly that "Russians are there". Of course that doesn't mean Ukrainian forces can act, but the risk is there.
    Cookie said:

Almost certainly... but no for a long time.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

John 'make BBC like netflix' Whittingdale as head of Ofcom?

That John?

Its hard to imagine right now the BBC becoming as good as Netflix, but why cap their ambitions?

If the BBC think they can rival Netflix in the future, good luck to them, if they can find the subscribers.
    On current trend, give it a few more years, and Netflix will become as good as the BBC.
    In a relatively few years, the BBC will cease non-internet broadcasting. The frequencies will be reused for other purposes.

The BBC will be a streaming service, delivering all content by that mechanism.

Yes, just as BT are abandoning phone lines, so we will to abandon traditional TV
    Are they? They just installed fibre via our nearby telephone pole.
    The copper phone lines will be gone within 10 years. Too expensive to maintain and no marginal utility for landline phones once the current generation of oldies die off.
    Landlines are fantastic. I don't know why they get such a bad press. And they work in a power cut, as an added bonus.
    May I put in a plug for (not in) old-school pay phones?

Which nobody ever thinks about these days . . . except when your car breaks down AND you discover you cell has drained its charge . . .

When I was a kid, you could make unlimited long-distance call for a dime. Or less: when I moved to Louisiana, I was delighted to discover that in the Pelican State, pay-phone calls were only a nickel!

By that time (or shortly after), the drop at phone booths in other 49 states had gone up to a quarter, where it pretty much stayed until . . . the demise of the phone booth in the US. RIP
    Tell us about Captain Crunch. :smile:
    Never my favorite cereal, but did admire this old seadog!

The cereal box characters I recall most fondly (besides Bruce Jenner for Wheaties) were Quisp and Quake. Two intrepid aliens from god-knows-where. Who battled for the votes of kids across America.

I was for Quake, but Quisp won. Story of my life!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisp
    MaxPB said:

This sounds like an advert Roger might have made for Renault. Naughty French papa gets up to no good, Nicole looks at the Renault (for that is where the sneaky behind backs affair happened) and looks sheepish.

Emmanuel, sorry papa, looks at Nicole and winks, Nicole crié “papa”, papa lovingly says “Nicohhhle” and they laugh and wink as if nothing ever happened, pretending to ignore the bloody half-dead Ukrainian gardener wedged in the front of the Clio where the bumper used to be.

Meanwhile camera pans out to a pile of cash spilling out of the open boot of the Renault.
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

It's entirely possible that (a) they're not allowed to have/use mobile phones; and (b) a meaningful subset of them have mobile phones.
    One report I read was there has been occasions where they have looted phones because first their secure comms didn't work. There is also definitely Russian footage / photos clearly caught via mobile i.e. the old portrait mode.

I wonder how many women @Leon has shouted at today

They? I think there's only one of him. Though your explanation would explain a lot...
    Bale!!!!
    Just had a fascinating, in-depth, 2-hour interview with a Ukrainian MiG-29 pilot. Story coming soon, but bottom line up front: Ukrainian pilots have stayed in the fight due to creativity, guts, & talent. History books will be written about what they've done. https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1507040799393001478/photo/1
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    Re: Conrade Putin's War, these podcast give military assessments which appear to be born out so far

This one was posted a few days ago (by Francis U?) and thanks for that; dates to Jan 2022
    https://mwi.usma.edu/mwi-podcast-how-capable-is-ukraines-military/

This podcast is about ten days old
    https://mwi.usma.edu/what-will-the-battle-of-kyiv-look-like/

Re: last, unfortunately analyst thinks answer will be similar to three
    WW2 battles:
    > Battle of Stalingrad
    > Battle of Manila
    > Battle of Berlin

Also thinks Kyiv is THE strategic objective, and that Russian
    attacks elsewhere are intended to divert UKR forces away from Kyiv.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    kle4 said:

This is interesting

The most fascinating part of this news clip from Putin’s 2003 visit to London, (where he was hosted by the Queen and greeted with a 41-gun salute), is the rare video of him speaking in English.

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1507039075336921094

Fascinating. I fear we probably did fuck up our relations with Russia. There was a window where we could have been allies, perhaps

Ach, so sad

This does not exonerate the Mad Putin of today, he must lose and be seen to lose;

Then, if all is well, we can scrutinise our very real failings
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    HYUFD said:

Interestingly Maldon was once a Labour seat. Tom Driberg won it for Labour from 1945-1951 and it was also Labour in 1923
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldon_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Labour had the farm worker vote. Look at some of the Norfolk seats for a similar thing.

rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

One report I read was there has been occasions where they have looted phones because first their secure comms didn't work. There is also definitely Russian footage / photos clearly caught via mobile i.e. the old portrait mode.
    If they didn't deserve to lose already, taking footage of ground based activities in portrait gives me another reason to want to see the Russians pounded into the earth.
    Use LANDSCAPE.
    rcs1000 said:

Cauterise is a brilliant word, in this analogy
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

This is interesting

The most fascinating part of this news clip from Putin’s 2003 visit to London, (where he was hosted by the Queen and greeted with a 41-gun salute), is the rare video of him speaking in English.

That’s really interesting. I think we can all now safely abuse him with some quite complex insults in English, secure in the knowledge he’ll understand them.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

John 'make BBC like netflix' Whittingdale as head of Ofcom?

That John?

Its hard to imagine right now the BBC becoming as good as Netflix, but why cap their ambitions?

If the BBC think they can rival Netflix in the future, good luck to them, if they can find the subscribers.
    On current trend, give it a few more years, and Netflix will become as good as the BBC.
    In a relatively few years, the BBC will cease non-internet broadcasting. The frequencies will be reused for other purposes.

The BBC will be a streaming service, delivering all content by that mechanism.

Yes, just as BT are abandoning phone lines, so we will to abandon traditional TV
    Are they? They just installed fibre via our nearby telephone pole.
    The copper phone lines will be gone within 10 years. Too expensive to maintain and no marginal utility for landline phones once the current generation of oldies die off.
    Landlines are fantastic. I don't know why they get such a bad press. And they work in a power cut, as an added bonus.
    May I put in a plug for (not in) old-school pay phones?

Which nobody ever thinks about these days . . . except when your car breaks down AND you discover you cell has drained its charge . . .

When I was a kid, you could make unlimited long-distance call for a dime. Or less: when I moved to Louisiana, I was delighted to discover that in the Pelican State, pay-phone calls were only a nickel!

By that time (or shortly after), the drop at phone booths in other 49 states had gone up to a quarter, where it pretty much stayed until . . . the demise of the phone booth in the US. RIP
    Tell us about Captain Crunch. :smile:
    Never my favorite cereal, but did admire this old seadog!

The cereal box characters I recall most fondly (besides Bruce Jenner for Wheaties) were Quisp and Quake. Two intrepid aliens from god-knows-where. Who battled for the votes of kids across America.

I was for Quake, but Quisp won. Story of my life!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisp
    They missed something there. They should have made it 'Quentin' and 'Quisp' for added colour. ;)

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course the minster will have been responsible for the day to day operation, but that will have only happened based after the "big dog" agreeing this is the strategy. He is still overall a useless leader, but on this the right call appears to have been made in January (albeit I would have thought all previous PMs would have made the same decision, but Corbyn wouldn't have).
    Yes, fair point.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,594
    edited March 2022
    One for the consultants...

'Boston Consulting Group sues GameStop claiming $30mn in unpaid fees'
    https://www.ft.com/content/f77d1ddb-32d3-4e28-ae1e-27f7938f25b0

The contract specified fees derived from 'projected revenue improvement'! My god.
    Leon said:

Cauterise is a brilliant word, in this analogy

Except it's really not
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

This is interesting

Fascinating. I fear we probably did fuck up our relations with Russia. There was a window where we could have been allies, perhaps

Ach, so sad

This does not exonerate the Mad Putin of today, he must lose and be seen to lose;

I think even by 2003 it was already too late, though maybe this wasn't fully appreciated in the west. Even back then, in retrospect, this was a regime which if it operated within superficially democratic norms did so only because it was temporarily convenient to do so; and which thought it had a right to pick the leaders of it neighbours.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    Jeezo, those old favourites, English sparkling wine and scrabbling through the vomit of BJ’s pm-ship for the delicious bits.
    It’s like PB’s been eating raw onions and kippers.

edited March 2022
    Imagine being the top 7 batsmen getting out for peanuts and 2 blokes who would struggle to bat much higher than bottom half in local league cricket can build innings.

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

If only Boris had appointed a "near perfect" Chancellor
    @HYUFD fyi:

Sunday night, C4, The Falklands War, the untold story. Probably worth a watch. Clip from trailer:

The head of the SAS in the Falklands, Sir Michael Rose, speaks publicly for the first time about the war, and how the British task force came close to defeat.
  • Saqib Mahmood has now hit more sixes in Test cricket (1) than Jonathan Trott (0).
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, the one he did appoint is proving inadequate.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625

Saqib Mahmood has now hit more sixes in Test cricket (1) than Jonathan Trott (0).

What a fact.

Trott never hit a six in test cricket !!

Jeezo, those old favourites, English sparkling wine and scrabbling through the vomit of BJ’s pm-ship for the delicious bits.
    It’s like PB’s been eating raw onions and kippers.

You are welcome to move to the two websites

www.scottishsparklingwinedebate.com

and

www.scottishjustbasicpolitcalbettingwhywontanyonesanetalktome.com

Weirdly, you don't .Why is that? You hate the UK, why don't you fuck off and do a Scottish site all of your own? why?
    Taz said:

Saqib Mahmood has now hit more sixes in Test cricket (1) than Jonathan Trott (0).

What a fact.

The best batsmen always play along the floor.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    Cookie said:

All too frequently….

There again I was a Middlesex member and therefore immune to watching crap.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    So wtf were batsmen 1-9 playing at ?

Either the pitch has materially changed or we need a firing squad.

Taz said:

What a fact.

I blame T20.....
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

This is interesting

Ach, so sad

I think even by 2003 it was already too late, though maybe this wasn't fully appreciated in the west. Even back then, in retrospect, this was a regime which if it operated within superficially democratic norms did so only because it was temporarily convenient to do so; and which thought it had a right to pick the leaders of it neighbours.
    Even if it was too late by 2003 it was f-ing obvious which way it was going with regards to “democracy” in 2008 when they did the old Putin/Medvedev switcheroo and yet many still thought we could do business with Putin on a peer to peer basis.
    edited March 2022

Taz said:

What a fact.

Bradman hit six sixes in tests apparently.
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Tbf, Osborne would be doing a much better job right now IMO.
This discussion has been closed.