Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Today’s budget could be the trigger for a Tory poll lead – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

On topic, I think my question would be, 'what will be this year's pasty tax?' Because there will be one.

I'm thinking the odds are it will be this silly loan on energy bills, if that's still going ahead at all.

Bound to be a generous-looking gimmick that falls apart under scrutiny.

He's not got that much room to play with. TEN BILLION POUNDS sounds like a lot, but it's about £150 per person across the country, which will barely touch the sides of the problem. £3 a week.

And the fiscal outlook for next year (which ideally will be election runup) looks worse than expected.

And whilst not much of this is Rishi's fault, he will inevitably cop the blame.
    It seems that the triple lock on pensions will be reinstated for pensions and if that is matched on other benefits the bill is going to be billions
    Taxes up on working families.
    The time will come for some form of wealth tax
    Well vote Labour again then as you did in 1997 and 2001 because you certainly will not be getting a wealth tax from a Tory government
    Be careful, they are coming after your inheritance
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Meanwhile I'm delighted to see that Jamaica could be on the road to republicanism.

It comes as a shock to many in this country that we built much of our wealth and success by invading countries, crushing people, stealing their land and their produce and selling their people into slavery. Vladimir Putin has nothing on the British empire.

Reparations are due and the tide has rightly turned.

https://news.sky.com/story/william-and-kate-jamaican-protester-says-couple-benefitting-from-her-great-great-grandparents-blood-tears-and-sweat-12572878

I don't think we Dutch were a great deal better.

You are right. The world needs to redress the past & then move on along new foundations. Evil Vlad is a throwback to an old way of colonial and imperial rule.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

I notice that the February public borrowing figures didn't get any attention yesterday:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/timeseries/dzls/pusf

January (-£7bn) was pretty good, and not far off pre-COVID, but February (£13bn) is still not much better than last year and way worse than pre-COVID:

Certainly my tax bill in Jan was the smallest in years, reflecting no private practice for six months in 2020. I am sure that I wasn't the only one paying less in. Not sure if that counts in Jan or Feb figures, usually the payment is made on 31 Jan, but clears a few days later.
    We got an extra 2 months to pay IT bills this year and many will have taken advantage so direct year on year comparisons are difficult. March should be much better than usual. We actually paid ours at the end of February having cleared out the back of the sofa with unusual vigor.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Russian TV threatening nuclear strikes. Bluster, possibly - but this is officially sanctioned.

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1506315902169534464
    We have no right to ignore what’s said on 🇷🇺 state TV these days. This unfortunately has all the potential for getting much worse.

It looks to me like almost everyone else in that clip is staring awkwardly at their feet.
    Who knew that BatShitCrazyTV was a thing in Russia.
    Not sure we should judge a country by its panel shows and vox pops, the mind boggles what people would make of us on that basis.
    GoggleBox shows the world who we are.

Can't imagine that in Putin's Russia.
    Perhaps, but it would be carefully controlled.

I'm currently reading a book about Monty Python in their own words, and for someone born in the 1970s, it's odd how much they felt that TWTWTW, the Frost Report etc demolished the deference we Brits felt for our leaders and rulers.

Of course, they were in that arena (literally, for a couple of them), so they might be making it more important than it was. But a 'government' pulling things like HIGNFY and other satirical programs - especially ones that are news-based - wold be a bad sign.

Them dying because they become unfunny (e.g. Spitting Image) is a different matter...

Laughing at those in power is a great way of defusing tension.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

I notice that the February public borrowing figures didn't get any attention yesterday:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/timeseries/dzls/pusf

January (-£7bn) was pretty good, and not far off pre-COVID, but February (£13bn) is still not much better than last year and way worse than pre-COVID:

i am surprised the bond markets are letting the government get away so lightly - with inflation at least 6.2% you are losing about 5% a year lending to the government whether you are an individual,pension fund, bank or foreign country. I notice Premium Bonds are just paying 1% as a prize fund. I think many people will not want o lose 5% a year for much longer
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

BTW, it's my birthday today. 49 years decrepit. :)

(I think it's also PB's birthday. One of these is more important than the other to most on here)

And you'll never have any difficulty in remembering on what date the UK covid lockdown started in 2020.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Russian TV threatening nuclear strikes. Bluster, possibly - but this is officially sanctioned.

We have no right to ignore what’s said on 🇷🇺 state TV these days. This unfortunately has all the potential for getting much worse.

It looks to me like almost everyone else in that clip is staring awkwardly at their feet.
    Not sure we should judge a country by its panel shows and vox pops, the mind boggles what people would make of us on that basis.

When I first heard of googlebox I thought what a ridiculous idea; watching people watching TV. However it is excellent, easy viewing with good humour and some heart warming bit. I wouldn't make a point of watching it but when I do I enjoy it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Foxy said:

On Jamaica, there is a clear majority for Jamaica becoming a Republic:

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/55-of-respondents-say-the-queen-must-go_200465

55% Republic, 30% Queen to remain HoS, 15% don't know/care.

The poll trailed at the bottom of the article:

The overwhelming majority of Jamaicans polled by Bill Johnson say that the law making sex between two men punishable should not be changed.

Jamaica's Offences Against the Person Act, Section 76, makes buggery punishable across the board, with a penalty of imprisonment for up to 10 years, with hard labour.

When the pollsters asked Jamaicans to state whether law should be changed or not, 93 per cent of respondents in both polls said no.

https://amp.jamaicaobserver.com/news/massive-agreement-with-buggery-law_200557
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

I understand the Met are receiving a considerable number of denials from their partygate enquiries and forms

In these circumstances are we going to see many individual court cases and at what point does this get out of hand?

If the police do not have CCTV of the parties how are they going to have enough proof to take court action when all a guilty party will get is a FPN.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Certainly my tax bill in Jan was the smallest in years, reflecting no private practice for six months in 2020. I am sure that I wasn't the only one paying less in. Not sure if that counts in Jan or Feb figures, usually the payment is made on 31 Jan, but clears a few days later.
    Interesting, I don't know, but January was pretty good...

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    Away from whether one agrees or disagrees with his policy instincts, the Chancellor has often done the politics quite well. I can’t believe there won’t be some form of rabbit in the hat.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I understand the Met are receiving a considerable number of denials from their partygate enquiries and forms

In these circumstances are we going to see many individual court cases and at what point does this get out of hand?

It was always out of hand, surely.
    Costing over a million and now with more personnel and the large number of denials, which I assume is because civil servants are claiming it was a working environment, I have no idea how or when this will be concluded
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

We got an extra 2 months to pay IT bills this year and many will have taken advantage so direct year on year comparisons are difficult. March should be much better than usual. We actually paid ours at the end of February having cleared out the back of the sofa with unusual vigor.
    Yes, the deadline was not so rigid this year, and about 1.5 million used the extra time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/one-week-to-file-your-self-assessment-return
  • Options
    I thank Big G for their apology, which is received with my thanks. Likewise for RobD.
  • Options
    Like Sunak’s previous statements, it will look good on paper and then fall apart shortly afterwards.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Carnyx said:

It was always out of hand, surely.
    Costing over a million and now with more personnel and the large number of denials, which I assume is because civil servants are claiming it was a working environment, I have no idea how or when this will be concluded
    I meant, from the start in the way No 10 was managed.
  • Options

I thank Big G for their apology, which is received with my thanks. Likewise for RobD.

Thank you @CorrectHorseBattery and let us put it behind us

All the best
  • Options

Foxy said:

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/55-of-respondents-say-the-queen-must-go_200465

The overwhelming majority of Jamaicans polled by Bill Johnson say that the law making sex between two men punishable should not be changed.

Jamaica's Offences Against the Person Act, Section 76, makes buggery punishable across the board, with a penalty of imprisonment for up to 10 years, with hard labour.

When the pollsters asked Jamaicans to state whether law should be changed or not, 93 per cent of respondents in both polls said no.

So some Imperial relics remain!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    biggles said:

Away from whether one agrees or disagrees with his policy instincts, the Chancellor has often done the politics quite well. I can’t believe there won’t be some form of rabbit in the hat.

Maybe I missed it all, but this budget does seem to be have not pre-briefed all of last week as per the rest of Sunak's statements.
  • Options

Like Sunak’s previous statements, it will look good on paper and then fall apart shortly afterwards.

The Eat out to help out scheme was only bettered in the ridiculous stakes by micro loans on buying gas
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Any Russian or North Korean listening to our state broadcaster and its slobbering panegyric to William and Kate touching down in Jamaica would feel an ache of weary recognition.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Fishing said:

Good news on steel from US

BBC News - US rolls back Trump-era tariffs on UK steel
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60839343

Morning, all. Weather's quite good; not as sunny out of my window as the BBC site says it is, though.

On topic, good to think we back to where we were in our EU membership days.
    Without our EU membership it's unlikely we would have been hit by US steel tariffs in the first place. Our steel industry was damaged because of German and French protectionism.
    Doubt that Trump would have had the wit to differentiate. I'm not very knowledgeable about the metals etc markets though. I do know, though, that my neighbour was complaining yesterday about shortages of medicines that his wife needs, and, as far as his work was concerned, a collapse in 'just in time' supply arrangements.
    Eh? Trump often differentiated between the UK and Germany when the facts were different, for example criticising the Germans for not meeting their NATO spending commitments, while praising us for doing so. It was only because we were in the Single Market that he didn't do so on trade.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Where I wonder is that PB chorus of how great it is that wages are going up and prices are going up and wages are going up. I wonder if wage growth has hit 8.2%.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Eh? Every single previous announcement initially polled well and then fell apart days later.

I don’t know where he gets this reputation for being good at anything from
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Meanwhile I'm delighted to see that Jamaica could be on the road to republicanism.

It comes as a shock to many in this country that we built much of our wealth and success by invading countries, crushing people, stealing their land and their produce and selling their people into slavery. Vladimir Putin has nothing on the British empire.

https://news.sky.com/story/william-and-kate-jamaican-protester-says-couple-benefitting-from-her-great-great-grandparents-blood-tears-and-sweat-12572878

What a load of rubbish.

Nobody alive in Britain today was involved in slavery and we abolished slavery well before most European Empires, the Arab States and USA did.
    There will be no reparations.

Otherwise we might as well claim reparations from Denmark for Viking raids and from Italy for the slaves the Romans took
    "Nobody alive in Britain today was involved in slavery." Quite a few people are involved in it, on the contrary.
  • Options

Not just Sunak, but all budget statements in recent times seem to have fallen apart once the detail is published.

Sunak seems to have missed his chance at the top job. Time and tide wait for no man.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Any Russian or North Korean listening to our state broadcaster and its slobbering panegyric to William and Kate touching down in Jamaica would feel an ache of weary recognition.
    Hope neither are tempted to do a dance with some locals - Harry maybe can get away with that , none of the other royals or indeed Theresa May
  • Options

The Eat out to help out scheme was only bettered in the ridiculous stakes by micro loans on buying gas
    At least the latter didn't kill people.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Where I wonder is that PB chorus of how great it is that wages are going up and prices are going up and wages are going up. I wonder if wage growth has hit 8.2%.

This is why the Tories are in my view, in big trouble. For the north this is levelling down whether they get a new train station or not
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What a load of rubbish.

Nobody alive in Britain today was involved in slavery and we abolished slavery well before most European Empires, the Arab States and USA did.

Otherwise we might as well claim reparations from Denmark for Viking raids and from Italy for the slaves the Romans took
    There is also a move in labour and in the more barking mad elements for the climate debate to pay ‘climate reparations’ too.

For our historic pollution dating back to the days of the industrial revolution.

I always gave Heathener the benefit of the doubt but I suspect, given the continual deliberately contrary positions, others may be correct. Not that she’s a Russian mole, just a wind up.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Poll from 2 years ago. Given it is non white, non British origin majority unlike say Australia or Canada or New Zealand hardly that surprising and realistically those are the only nations we can keep as Commonwealth realms going forward even if they stay in the Commonwealth.

Though 55% is hardly a landslide
    What's the point of a White-only Commonwealth? Aussies and NZers and Canadians have their own independent views, and losing the other Commonwealth members is a disastrous blow to what some like to call soft power.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Poll from 2 years ago. Given it is non white, non British origin majority unlike say Australia or Canada or New Zealand hardly that surprising and realistically those are the only nations we can keep as Commonwealth realms going forward even if they stay in the Commonwealth.

Lol.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408

Roger said:

MrEd said:

Heathener said:

Not exactly mass demonstrations looking at that picture. I see the Sky article pretty much entirely consists of quotes from this lady:

"Opal Adisa, a retired professor in her 60s, is a gender specialist and human rights advocate who works with Advocates Network, a coalition of Jamaican politicians, business leaders, doctors and musicians, and was taking part in the protest".

Perhaps not so representative of the population.

In any event, Jamaica has been talking about getting rid the Monarchy for years and hasn't done much about it. It's a topic that is a great talking point for the politicians but, given the state of Jamaican politics, there seems to be a tacit understanding that it might be better to leave things as they are, at least for now.
    What good will it do?

I get the appeal in principle but in practice the Governor-General is always domestic now and the Monarch provides pageantry and ceremony on top and Commonwealth kinship.

I certainly wouldn't vote to get rid of it.
    For some people, the aim is to support anything that makes Britain weaker. Because we're the bad guys.
    What a tedious post! Have some self respect! If you just want 'likes' from other than the usual four why not try writing something interesting or better still original?
    I have self-respect, Rog. And you might try to take your own advice.

Although stating that any woman who did not want to get abused by 'the talent' in the media should go and become hairdressers was original for a modern man - it was the sort of thing that I would expect from a Neanderthal.

Hang on, being in France: did you paint Lascaux? Were they some early adverts for meat products? ;)
    Roger objects because it accurately describes himself and he's upset that people agree with it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    felix said:

Roger said:

MrEd said:

Heathener said:

Not exactly mass demonstrations looking at that picture. I see the Sky article pretty much entirely consists of quotes from this lady:

"Opal Adisa, a retired professor in her 60s, is a gender specialist and human rights advocate who works with Advocates Network, a coalition of Jamaican politicians, business leaders, doctors and musicians, and was taking part in the protest".

Perhaps not so representative of the population.

In any event, Jamaica has been talking about getting rid the Monarchy for years and hasn't done much about it. It's a topic that is a great talking point for the politicians but, given the state of Jamaican politics, there seems to be a tacit understanding that it might be better to leave things as they are, at least for now.
    What good will it do?

I get the appeal in principle but in practice the Governor-General is always domestic now and the Monarch provides pageantry and ceremony on top and Commonwealth kinship.

I certainly wouldn't vote to get rid of it.
    For some people, the aim is to support anything that makes Britain weaker. Because we're the bad guys.
    What a tedious post! Have some self respect! If you just want 'likes' from other than the usual four why not try writing something interesting or better still original?
    Nothing more tedious than life in Macron/Vichy France.
    I feel for you felix. Stuck in Spain with the ex pats droning on about how they'd be back in the flick of an eyelid if it wasn't for the damned weather giving their gout gip and the 'Black Lives Matter' wallahs pulling down our bloody heritage. Who could stay sane with that going on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What a load of rubbish.

Morocco/Tunisia/Algeria were more recent than both, emptying Cornish and Devon villages.

"Barbary pirates raided on land as well as at sea. In August 1625 corsairs raided Mount’s Bay, Cornwall, capturing 60 men, women and children and taking them into slavery. In 1626 St Keverne was repeatedly attacked, and boats out of Looe, Penzance, Mousehole and other Cornish ports were boarded, their crews taken captive and the empty ships left to drift. It was feared that there were around 60 Barbary men-of-war prowling the Devon and Cornish coasts and attacks were now occurring almost daily.

Sir John Eliot, Vice Admiral of Devon, declared that the seas around England “seem’d theirs.”"

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Barbary-Pirates-English-Slaves/
  • Options

Heathener said:

I don't think we Dutch were a great deal better.
    Arguably at least as bad, if not worse. See how Britain and the Netherlands departed their largest colonies after WWII, India and Indonesia. Only one of them was a functioning democracy from the start.

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has rightly refrained from giving an immediate response to the statement of apology from Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte for the “extreme violence” committed by the Dutch colonial forces during the 1945-1949 revolution war that followed Indonesia’s proclamation of independence on Aug. 17, 1945.

Indonesia from the very beginning has decided to move forward, rather than becoming a prisoner of the bitter past. The issue has never been made a big fuss….

Let the historians continue digging deeper into the past relations between the Dutch and Indonesia for academic purposes and discovery of the truth. As a big nation, Indonesia will not let itself be confined by the bitterness of past colonialization.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/opinion/2022/02/22/the-dutch-apology.html
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I'd say of all the Carribbean islands not an overseas territory Jamaica is one of the ones with closest links to the UK, and lots of Black Britons themselves (who do like the royal family) have Jamaican heritage.

If it comes down to a referendum I'd make Republic a mild favourite but not an overwhelming one and I could see a surprise status quo victory depending on the political prism of the campaign at the time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Lol.
    Mind, HYUFD didn't count the DKs as fervent UJ-waving and scrapbook-compiling Jennie Bond fans.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What a load of rubbish.

Morocco/Tunisia/Algeria were more recent than both, emptying Cornish and Devon villages.

"Barbary pirates raided on land as well as at sea. In August 1625 corsairs raided Mount’s Bay, Cornwall, capturing 60 men, women and children and taking them into slavery. In 1626 St Keverne was repeatedly attacked, and boats out of Looe, Penzance, Mousehole and other Cornish ports were boarded, their crews taken captive and the empty ships left to drift. It was feared that there were around 60 Barbary men-of-war prowling the Devon and Cornish coasts and attacks were now occurring almost daily.

Sir John Eliot, Vice Admiral of Devon, declared that the seas around England “seem’d theirs.”"

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Barbary-Pirates-English-Slaves/
    Put up a statute to Lord Exmouth - for work in destroying the slave trade.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,743
    edited March 2022
    TOPPING said:

The chorus was that its great if wages are sustainably going up more than prices - and that if prices are going up because of and thus less than wages, then that's not a bad thing.

Prices aren't going up due to wage demands, they're going up due to energy costs. There's nothing good in that (except for the green zealots).

Prices have multiple components to their increase. If wages are going up but commodity costs are flat, then we have real wage growth and that is good. If wages aren't going up but commodity costs are rising steeply, then we have real wage decline and that is bad. Is that really hard for you to understand?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

What's the point of a White-only Commonwealth? Aussies and NZers and Canadians have their own independent views, and losing the other Commonwealth members is a disastrous blow to what some like to call soft power.
    Plenty of Republics in the Commonwealth.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500
    TOPPING said:

In general, no. Certainly not in the public sector, because there's no money. For example,

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/the-road-to-30k-dfe-proposes-16-starting-salary-hike-by-2023/

9% for new starters at the bottom of the scale, much less higher up.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Unions are now asking for rises in the region of 10%

There are car component suppliers of bearings in the North East about to strike over pay.

Good for them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So some Imperial relics remain!
    It’s theirs - they own it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

On topic, I think my question would be, 'what will be this year's pasty tax?' Because there will be one.

I'm thinking the odds are it will be this silly loan on energy bills, if that's still going ahead at all.

He's not got that much room to play with. TEN BILLION POUNDS sounds like a lot, but it's about £150 per person across the country, which will barely touch the sides of the problem. £3 a week.

And the fiscal outlook for next year (which ideally will be election runup) looks worse than expected.

He will obviously cut duty, as I have pointed out before the net cost is practically zero given the increased VAT take.
    I think (hope) he does something about those on benefits.
    The loan gimick on fuel bills needs to be dropped.
    There will presumably be yet more money for the NHS focused on backlogs.
    Possible wild card would be the suspension of VAT on domestic fuel, benefit of Brexit etc
    Isn't cutting the tax on fuel little better than burning the cash?

Given the price is set by a balance between demand and supply, the cut in the duty rate will just get eaten up by price rises as they increase further to reach the equilibrium point.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Quite so, but HYUFD was talking about keeping only what used to be called the Anglo-Saxon colonies.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Naked Attraction less so. Or actually more so.
  • Options
    @Roger did you ever report back from your Special Military Operation party?

Mar 4 "On Sunday I'm going to a hotel which is Russian owned and one where the vast majority of their clientele is Russian. I'm curious to see what the mood is like but if several have had their yachts confiscated it probably wont be great"
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited March 2022
    Mr HYUFD,

"Otherwise we might as well claim reparations from Denmark for Viking raids and from Italy for the slaves the Romans took."

Too late, last time I was in Copenhagen, I told a few amused Danes they were forgiven. Not so sure about the Italians, though.

As for Tony apologising for the Irish famine, I'm sure some of my great-great grandfathers will appreciate the apology from some of my other great-great grandfathers. If they were still alive.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Not just Sunak, but all budget statements in recent times seem to have fallen apart once the detail is published.

Sunak seems to have missed his chance at the top job. Time and tide wait for no man.
    I do not think he has

He is young and he will be in the mix when Boris goes, whether that is sooner or later
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What a load of rubbish.

Put up a statute to Lord Exmouth - for work in destroying the slave trade.
    Been done. Quite an appropriate location, too, former RNC.

http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/images/conway/868c95af.html
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

What’s the point of a commonwealth ?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Soft power apparently. Somewhere for the RF to visit at public expense.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The chorus was that its great if wages are sustainably going up more than prices - and that if prices are going up because of and thus less than wages, then that's not a bad thing.

Prices aren't going up due to wage demands, they're going up due to energy costs. There's nothing good in that (except for the green zealots).

Prices have multiple components to their increase. If wages are going up but commodity costs are flat, then we have real wage growth and that is good. If wages aren't going up but commodity costs are rising steeply, then we have real wage decline and that is bad. Is that really hard for you to understand?
    It’s not just energy driving up prices it is raw material costs, shipping costs, packaging costs. Demand has just exceeded supply.

Energy is a component feeding through but these rises are multi faceted.
  • Options
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

There are car component suppliers of bearings in the North East about to strike over pay.

Good for them.
    Absolutely; it only needs for them to force us to start manufacturing the Allegra again and the picture will be complete.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2022
    Plan 2 student loan interest rate is probably gonna be >8% / >11% come September.

Maybe even higher.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

And the eBay Olympics.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr HYUFD,

"Otherwise we might as well claim reparations from Denmark for Viking raids and from Italy for the slaves the Romans took."

Too late, last time I was in Copenhagen, I told a few amused Danes they were forgiven. Not so sure about the Italians, though.

As for Tony apologising for the Irish famine, I'm sure some of my great-great grandfathers will appreciate the apology from some of my other great-great grandfathers. If they were still alive.

Didnt Nicola recently say sorry for burning witches?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Quite so, but HYUFD was talking about keeping only what used to be called the Anglo-Saxon colonies.
    Debating with @HYUFD is generally orthogonal to reason and reality.

Should we try and get him an upgrade on the Covenanter? A Russian vehicle, one-careful-owner, from Ukrainian EBay?
  • Options

biggles said:

Eh? Every single previous announcement initially polled well and then fell apart days later.

I don’t know where he gets this reputation for being good at anything from
    I’m going off the polling evidence from his previous statements, not whether or not I liked them.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    As news breaks that Renault has resumed Russian production an EU diplomat tells me: ‘Apparently Macron is weighed on a different scale than other Europeans. While the rest of us are absorbing pain of sanctions, he lets Renault and other French companies operate in Russia.’

Can imagine Italy - which took heat over original luxury goods carve out in sanctions - and Germany - getting criticised for lack of energy sanctions - won’t be massively impressed by lack of criticism for Macron and French companies operating in Russia.

https://twitter.com/Barnes_Joe/status/1506550492171751426
  • Options

TOPPING said:

There is no escape from the reality that a deficit in energy has to make some people, somewhere (or most people, everywhere), materially poorer.

The correct government response is to do what is required to restore a reliable energy surplus as soon as possible. I don't see how a cut in taxes on energy helps with that at all, but it seems to be the most eye-catching announcement to be made.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

He will obviously cut duty, as I have pointed out before the net cost is practically zero given the increased VAT take.
    Possible wild card would be the suspension of VAT on domestic fuel, benefit of Brexit etc

Given the price is set by a balance between demand and supply, the cut in the duty rate will just get eaten up by price rises as they increase further to reach the equilibrium point.
    Yes, but fuel duty is totemic for a certain type of Conservative. White Van Man isn't a bad person, but he has an unhealthy grip on the imagination of some politicians.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Even first year economists understand that wage rises in turn lead to price rises and vice versa. The fact that the UK suffered an exogenous energy price shock simply adds, ahem, fuel to the fire.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

And the eBay Olympics.
    The Commonwealth Games, yes. I was going to add the Rhodes scholarships at Oxford but they let the Middle North Americans in.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer told us yesterday that he agreed with Ange that Corbyn would have sent weapons to Ukraine, like Johnson did, before the invasion.

How can he possibly believe it?

habibi
    @habibi_uk
    From the "Stop the War" statement Corbyn signed in February:

"Instead, the British government has sent arms to Ukraine and deployed further troops to Eastern Europe, moves which serve no purpose other than inflaming tensions and indicating disdain for Russian concerns."

https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1506359255825358853

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Mar 4 "On Sunday I'm going to a hotel which is Russian owned and one where the vast majority of their clientele is Russian. I'm curious to see what the mood is like but if several have had their yachts confiscated it probably wont be great"

It was almost deserted. Really quite spooky

In happier times .....

https://www.fourseasons.com/capferrat/
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr HYUFD,

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/08/nicola-sturgeon-issues-apology-for-historical-injustice-of-witch-hunts
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr HYUFD,

More nuanced than that. But translated into PBTory speak, yes.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

BTW, it's my birthday today. 49 years decrepit. :)

(I think it's also PB's birthday. One of these is more important than the other to most on here)

Congratulations. Enjoy. Big one next year, so start planning.
    The planning's already started. ;)

I want to do something slightly insane for my 50th year. I've got a little 'un to look after, so I cannot disappear for months at a time, but I'm thinking what I can fit in within the school times.

Every year I set myself an objective for that year. Last year it was to run every day; this year it's something more cerebral. My current thinking for next year is 52 marathons in the year - if my body will allow it. I'm unsure atm. I might just decide to laze about and do nothing...
    My choice would be taking the ocean liner Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York (and back) and have a few days over there.

I'd go in the most expensive class I could afford probably and enjoy myself.
    It's our Diamond anniversary this year; haven't booked anything yet, due to repeated hospital appointments, but that sounds an idea.
    We are two years behind you but many congratulations and you should receive your telegram from HMQ
    When my in-laws hit their 60th we had to arrange that, and it was a card. Don't know if anyone will arrange it for us.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

On the road to republicanism? They've been announcing it over and over again for at least a decade. I've no idea how they haven't found the time to do it long before now given both main parties are in favour. Respect for the queen doesn't prevent itvas Barbados shows. I find it pretty laughable when people act like it's new or a surprise that the Caribbean nations might go Republican, and something that the UK will be shocked or concerned by - it's long expected.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

Dura_Ace said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

Old men discussing their fantasies.
    That's enough about pb.com. What did you think of the Russian TV shit?
    LOL

The impression I get of Russia is of a great nation humiliating itself. It is an absolute tragedy. Makes me feel a bit better about our own country.
    who could have imagined there was a worse country with a worse leader than the UK.
    Not quite sure about worse country, Malc, but worse leader..... closer.
    OKC, close call for sure
    Okay Malc, I know I'm risking some turnip-juice inspired vitriol from you, but there is really zero comparison between Putin and Johnson. Johnson has many, many flaws, but he is near to an angel in comparison to Putin.

Look at the roads Putin has taken his country down. Look at his hamfisted reaction to the Covid crisis. Look at the Litvinenko or Salisbury. Look at the way he has stifled free press in his country; the way he has strangled democracy.

For all Johnson's faults, he is not a Putin. Neither do I think he wants to be.
    But to compare characters, you have to have comparable circumstances.

The question is, how would Johnson behave were he a politician in a political and economic system as is Russia's? And, conversely, how would Putin behave were he a politician in a democracy like the UK?

Given Johnson's apparent character, instincts, immorality and evidenced behaviour, I'm not convinced that the Russians would be hugely better off. The big difference ISTM is that Johnson is lazy, doesn't really give a toss about anything other than himself, and wouldn't have such a grip on his subordinates, thus the 'Russian' budget would be wasted on futile vanity projects which Johnson would be filmed in front of. But, just maybe, he wouldn't be so obsessed with expanding his country. So the 'Ukranians' in the analogy might be better off. But lets not kid ourselves that Johnson has very much commitment to the values of our democracy, the rule of law, personal and financial integrity. In a totalitarian political system, Johnson would be milking its benefits for himself; I don't see any evidence that he'd be doing a Gorbachev and be trying to steer his country towards openness and democracy?

For an instance of how someone can start out appearing to be a democratic politician yet slowly turn his country in an authoritarian direction, look at Orban. He's managed it because the culture and institutions standing in his way are far less resilient than ours, given that Hungary has no democratic traditions at all.
  • Options
    The Tories' majority would be wiped out in a general election held tomorrow, a new poll shows, as Britain's looming cost of living crisis threatens to engulf Boris Johnson's government.

New MRP research, carried out by Survation for campaign group 38 Degrees, found 92 Conservative MPs would be voted out and Labour would be the largest party in a hung parliament, with an estimated 293 seats to the Tories’ 273.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    Does anyone here know if any reputable/capable think tanks have ever studied the maths on a very radical change to the UK tax approach?

For example cutting income tax to a flat rate of 20% starting at a level where those on minimum wage don’t pay tax and then rebalancing it by focussing on wealth and asset taxes. In addition changing VAT so that “essentials” (maybe food/clothes under a certain price etc) are free of VAT and then a scaled tax on “luxuries” (cars, for example, having a staged increasing VAT based on value, jewellery such as £10,000 watches attracting a much higher rate than one under £100 etc).

Effectively changing things so that people who are only able to live ordinary lives are not squeezed and those who want more “things” can make the choice how much they want them.

Just interested in the feasibility of the maths and amounts raised rather than the politics of it.

It seems every chancellor of every stripe is only able to really tinker around the edges but what if they are tinkering when the whole thing needs ripping up.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

CD13 said:

Mr HYUFD,

More nuanced than that. But translated into PBTory speak, yes.
    Can we count on their support in WW3 now?
  • Options
    “This is the worst - where we are right now, this is the worst.

“When I’m reading messages from people saying money prioritisation used to be ‘do I go to the hairdressers, or do I go to the pub and have a takeaway’.

“Now it’s about prioritising ‘feeding my children over feeding myself’. That is simply not tenable in our society and there is absolute panic - and it has not started yet.”

Your move Rishi
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Taz said:

TOPPING said:

Good for them.
    Absolutely; it only needs for them to force us to start manufacturing the Allegra again and the picture will be complete.
    They had an awful reputation. Square steering wheel too on the early models. We had two when I was a kid. They were great.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

The vast majority of Commonwealth nations are already Republics or have their own heads of state. I was talking Commonwealth realms.

We will not be losing them from the Commonwealth, Barbados is staying in the Commonwealth too. Jamaica is tiny and will have zero impact on our soft power whether a Commonwealth realm or not. The vast majority of the population of the remaining Commonwealth realms live in white majority nations of mainly British origin ie Australia, Canada and New Zealand and will likely continue to do so.

Australia itself voted 55% to keep the monarchy in 1999, in Canada both Trudeau and the Conservatives are monarchists
  • Options

The Tories' majority would be wiped out in a general election held tomorrow, a new poll shows, as Britain's looming cost of living crisis threatens to engulf Boris Johnson's government.

New MRP research, carried out by Survation for campaign group 38 Degrees, found 92 Conservative MPs would be voted out and Labour would be the largest party in a hung parliament, with an estimated 293 seats to the Tories’ 273.

Midterm polling suggesting a Hung Parliament has not, historically, proven to be the herald of a change in Government. Plus I tend to think that would be hell for Starmer. He’d have to be PM, but the majority would be built on too many different factions. For the good of the country, if he’s going to win he needs to WIN.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

When I first heard of googlebox I thought what a ridiculous idea; watching people watching TV. However it is excellent, easy viewing with good humour and some heart warming bit. I wouldn't make a point of watching it but when I do I enjoy it.
    I still haven't heard of Googlebox.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What a load of rubbish.

Ireland, too. IIRC the village of Baltimore was completely cleared in the 18th C.

It was, theoretically anyway, possible to ransom such captives, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

It seems that the triple lock on pensions will be reinstated for pensions and if that is matched on other benefits the bill is going to be billions
    Well vote Labour again then as you did in 1997 and 2001 because you certainly will not be getting a wealth tax from a Tory government
    I doubt even Labour would given how unpopular inheritance tax is
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

It shows the government is doing what it can to address the cost of living crisis. The problem would be when would ever be a good time to bring it back, like the fuel duty escalator, which has been in abeyance since 2010. It would be regressive, however, with most of the benefit going to the better off. Exceptional increases in benefits (eg replacing the cuts at the end of lockdown etc) would be much more targetted towards those most affected by the cost of living crisis (and would also increase the multiplier effect on public spending due to the higher propensity to spend in that sector).
  • Options
    While Eastern EU countries like Poland and Lithuania want the EU to keep up the pressure on Moscow by ramping up its penalties, some such as Germany are signaling support for taking a pause to “review the effect of the sanctions imposed so far,”

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/brussels-playbook/summit-prep-energy-debate-at-boiling-point-playbook-interview/
  • Options
    The other point I would make is that, in a crisis, it is more important that you do the right thing then that you avoid doing the wrong thing.

So, although I don't think that boosting domestic fossil fuel production is the right things to do, whether we do so or not concerns me a lot less than that we do the right thing, which is to boost domestic renewable energy generation as fast as possible.

One of the key advantages of boosting domestic renewable generation of electricity, is that electricity is harder to export that oil or gas, and so increasing our supplies of non-fossil fuel electricity will have the greatest benefit in reducing prices (as well as having a 2-for-1 benefit in reducing our fossil fuel use).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

It shows the government is doing what it can to address the cost of living crisis. The problem would be when would ever be a good time to bring it back, like the fuel duty escalator, which has been in abeyance since 2010. It would be regressive, however, with most of the benefit going to the better off. Exceptional increases in benefits (eg replacing the cuts at the end of lockdown etc) would be much more targetted towards those most affected by the cost of living crisis (and would also increase the multiplier effect on public spending due to the higher propensity to spend in that sector).
    Indeed. The risk is the Government gets pulled into having a “target rate” for petrol costs and varies the tax rate to achieve it. Not a place we want to be.
  • Options
    I see the government is consulting on tightening and improving the microchipping rules and database for dogs, and extending the requirement to cats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

I doubt even Labour would given how unpopular inheritance tax is
    Depends on whether one’s voters have anything to either pass on or inherit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

tlg86 said:

i am surprised the bond markets are letting the government get away so lightly - with inflation at least 6.2% you are losing about 5% a year lending to the government whether you are an individual,pension fund, bank or foreign country. I notice Premium Bonds are just paying 1% as a prize fund. I think many people will not want o lose 5% a year for much longer
    That's true up to a point, but there's still the 'safe haven' effect, plus simple inertia.

The key figure is going to be UK inflation relative to the rest of the world.
    The energy price shock impacts everyone, but some major economies will get inflation under control while others won't. If we're one of the latter, our borrowing costs will rise alarmingly fast.
  • Options

There isn’t an election tomorrow so it’s somewhat irrelevant.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It was almost deserted. Really quite spooky

In happier times .....

https://www.fourseasons.com/capferrat/
    I hope you did your bit to help the poor old Russian owner and swigged back a few Beluga Gold Lines at 48€ a shot.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    This is a really good short summary of what I think many of us across the board feel about the Boris government, though maybe no need to make it Bannon centric for a UK focused piece:

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/03/21/flooding-the-zone-the-bannon-playbook-governing-british-politics/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

This is why the Tories are in my view, in big trouble. For the north this is levelling down whether they get a new train station or not
    There's a big number of 'just about managing' households in the Midlands, too.
    Energy and fuel costs will bite them hard.

It's tough to be in power when the reckoning comes, whatever the chancellor does.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Fuel prices have risen owing to (overseas) supply side increases and have little to do with domestic supply and demand. That may illustrate a wider problem if HMT becomes fixated with fighting the last war against inflation.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

TOPPING said:

There is no escape from the reality that a deficit in energy has to make some people, somewhere (or most people, everywhere), materially poorer.

The correct government response is to do what is required to restore a reliable energy surplus as soon as possible. I don't see how a cut in taxes on energy helps with that at all, but it seems to be the most eye-catching announcement to be made.
    Living standards are being crushed by two fundamental forces. First, population ageing, which means that every worker has to support more non working pensioners. Second, rising energy costs, which reflect the fact that we can't burn cheap fossil fuels with gay abandon if we want our children and grandchildren to inherit a habitable planet. Fundamental solutions include raising labour productivity, raising the pension age, immigration to rebalance the demographic profile and investment to reduce the cost of renewable energy. That we have imposed a further tax on ourselves by putting up trade barriers with the EU is unfortunate, it's the kind of indulgence we simply can't afford right now.
  • Options
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

Taz said:

TOPPING said:

Good for them.
    They had an awful reputation. Square steering wheel too on the early models...
    'Quartic', please.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Carnyx said:

with inflation at least 6.2%

I wonder where this leaves Johnson's pre-election promise to maintain defence spending increases at 0.5% above inflation.

He couldn't have been... lying... could he?
This discussion has been closed.