Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The French election looking even more likely to be a 2017 re-run – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Foxy said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

An Italian magazine is alleging that this is a coordinated French government decision. Do not stop business in Russia

Total, Auchan, Decathlon and multiple other French companies are ignoring the sanctions. Not just Renault

The French never go too long without giving you a reason to despise them

The UK should sanction any company that continues to do business in Russia.

Edit: that would be a Brexit benefit I could actually get behind.
    Yup, Renault should be given the choice of continuing their sales in Russia or their sales in the UK (and US). UK companies have taken yes of billions in write downs to do the right thing after state pressure. The French are so predictably treacherous.
    To avoid succour to the general Francophobia, even if warranted in this case, I’d point out that there are also British companies still trading.

They too should be sanctioned.
    I've worked many times for Renault with agencies from France Spain and Italy and a corporate ad for Nestle in Switzerland and ads for Nestle products in just about every country in Europe and beyond. There is often an ethos which runs through a company irrespective of the agency or country that is making the ad which makes them a pleasure to work with. Renault and Nestle are two such companies.

That's ok then. They say nice things to you about your crappy ads.

Nestle in particular has long been a problematic company for many on the left due to some appalling behaviour, especially in developing countries.
    Nestle is Swiss isn't it?
    The point was Roger is giving them an example of lovely guys and also counts himself as a man of the left. When for many years the likes of the Guardian have repeated pointed out they aren't very nice at all. He surely couldn't have missed all those articles when he sits down for his daily read.
    Roger a hypocrite? Surely not!!!
  • Options

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Another French company looking to expand in Russia:

https://www.businessinsider.com/retailer-looks-expand-russia-business-as-more-firms-pull-out-2022-3?utm_source=reddit.com

The French are scum. And yet the usual Europhiles on PB give more shit to Boris for an inelegant comparison than bankrolling war criminals.

Has @Scott_xP made any comment as I assume he will be embarrassed by this behaviour and call it out
    The PB Remoaners are staying quiet. The only voices responding are those condemning this despicable act and the outright Putin apologists engaging in whataboutism.
    As a Remainer, I think what the French are doing, or not doing is despicable; had we still been members of t.he EU of course, we could have brought pressure to bear instead of impotently waffling from the sidelines.
    To be fair if the 26 others cannot prevent this then the UK within the EU would not been able to either
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,862
    edited March 2022
    Nestlé has halted sales of “non-essential” items such as coffee pods to Russia, has ceased advertising support and says it does not make a profit on the goods it continues to sell there.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/21/renault-moscow-russia-nestle

As I stated down thread, I think is interesting exercise to ask where is the moral line is here. I think pulling out of providing essentials is going too far. However I smell serious bullshit in the claims no no we don't make any money at all out of goods being sold.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    No idea about Russian IT skills, but the Ukranians are very good.
    Aslan said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/retailer-looks-expand-russia-business-as-more-firms-pull-out-2022-3?utm_source=reddit.com

The French are scum. And yet the usual Europhiles on PB give more shit to Boris for an inelegant comparison than bankrolling war criminals.

"The French are scum."

Clearly, and by definition.

However the French are in fact wonderful, warm, and truly lovely people. I'll have to think about whether they're charming us for a while prior to revealing their true nature!

They also have the best national anthem. By miles.
    Not really - The Welsh anthem is the best in the world
    Well anything actually sung by the Welsh is the best in the world. Welshman singing the Marsiellais - that'd be a thing.

I really like 'Flower of Sctland' too - suits their peasant voice :)
    I've always thought the Welsh National Anthem unsurpassable. The Marseillaise and the Stars and Stripes are pretty good too. I find it hard to think of another worthy of mention - maybe Flower of Scotland, or Australia Fair.

The Londonderry Air is a bit special but it's not an anthem of course. Somebody should nick it for their own.
    I know the climate is wrong for making this admission and with all due apologies to people's sensibilities, but the old Soviet National Anthem is just a wonderful piece of music.
    Yes, it's a truly rousing anthem. I wish ours was less boring, I think it's part of the reason we're shit at sport. Other teams have great national anthems to really get them going before a match, we have the world's dullest anthem.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

However the French are in fact wonderful, warm, and truly lovely people. I'll have to think about whether they're charming us for a while prior to revealing their true nature!

Well anything actually sung by the Welsh is the best in the world. Welshman singing the Marsiellais - that'd be a thing.

I've always thought the Welsh National Anthem unsurpassable. The Marseillaise and the Stars and Stripes are pretty good too. I find it hard to think of another worthy of mention - maybe Flower of Scotland, or Australia Fair.

The Londonderry Air is a bit special but it's not an anthem of course. Somebody should nick it for their own.
    The best English anthem has yet to be written, for it needs to be set to the opening bars of Parry’s Symphony number 2. Close your eyes and all of England is there - the rolling green hills, in the rain, the seaside rocks with white horses, in the rain, the filthy towns with smelly livestock driven through or queuing for the nightclub, in the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwuQyrjGYjk
    Holst's music from "Jupiter", used for "I vow to thee my country is pretty close I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZGUgGrBUE
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,327

Updated Russian vehicle symbol list

LOL...What's the simple for totally useless against an NLAW?
    ∀ should suffice....
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    BigRich said:

TimT said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

An Italian magazine is alleging that this is a coordinated French government decision. Do not stop business in Russia

Total, Auchan, Decathlon and multiple other French companies are ignoring the sanctions. Not just Renault

The French never go too long without giving you a reason to despise them

The UK should sanction any company that continues to do business in Russia.

Edit: that would be a Brexit benefit I could actually get behind.
    Yup, Renault should be given the choice of continuing their sales in Russia or their sales in the UK (and US). UK companies have taken yes of billions in write downs to do the right thing after state pressure. The French are so predictably treacherous.
    To avoid succour to the general Francophobia, even if warranted in this case, I’d point out that there are also British companies still trading.

They too should be sanctioned.
    I've worked many times for Renault with agencies from France Spain and Italy and a corporate ad for Nestle in Switzerland and ads for Nestle products in just about every country in Europe and beyond. There is often an ethos which runs through a company irrespective of the agency or country that is making the ad which makes them a pleasure to work with. Renault and Nestle are two such companies.

That's ok then. They say nice things to you about your crappy ads.

Nestle in particular has long been a problematic company for many on the left due to some appalling behaviour, especially in developing countries.
    My first posting was Yemen. Mother and infant mortality rates through the roof, largely thanks to Nestle.

Whatever their good deeds since, I find it hard to forgive them.
    what did they do? and was in deliberate as in did they know it would have the effect you describe, or an unforeseen outcome.
    As I understood it from aid workers in the field, they pushed feeding newborns with formulated milk rather than the traditional breastfeeding, on the grounds that it was more nutritious for the baby, without teaching anyone about correct concentrations of the formula, the utmost importance of hygiene and sterilization of the bottles and so on. Even once it became apparent that these were all problems which were pushing up infant and nursing mother deaths (including overly concentrated formula on the ground that 3 times stronger is 3 times better), they did nothing to rein back marketing or to improve hygiene education or to improve access to clean water with which to make up formula or to sterilize bottles and nipples.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 601

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Watch the Wales v Austria match on Thursday for what might be the best version of the anthem ever sung - and preceeded by what is fast becoming our second anthem - Yma O Hyd....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,860
    TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Anti-Woke Culture Wars are working in the USA

Ramp them up over here, Boris

“Democrats working to save their slim majority in the House in November’s elections have been sounding alarm bells lately over research showing that Republican attacks on culture-war issues are working, particularly with center-left, Hispanic and independent voters.”

NYT ($$)

How about concentrating on the real issues, rather than a phony war.

Inflation, cost of living crisis, energy security, levelling up, growing the economy and not weaponising division ?
    Most of those are either caused by government actions or, at best, are global tides that Johnson can do no more about than Canute did.

They bang on about Culture Wars because that's pretty much all they've got.
    Let's be honest the identitarian left and right both love nothing more than a bit of culture war. It's a nice playground game that helps them to get outraged under controlled conditions, is distracting from real tricky political issues and leaves them with a feeling of virtue. It's the wars of religion de nos jours.

I would hazard a guess based on social media that perhaps 15-20% of the population really indulge in culture warring, with roughly a 50:50 split between those outraged by "far right bigotry" and those equally offended by "left wing woke nonsense". Perhaps another 40-50% of the population have a mild leaning towards one side or the other, the Anglican church of these particular wars of religion (I'd put myself in that camp), and the rest don't even know it's happening.
    Much as there is supposedly a 'culture war', the 'right' aren't really in it at the moment, beyond huffing about the ridiculousness of it all and then rolling over. If you want to win something, you articulate an alternative vision
    Leon said:

"Renault's board has decided to keep its presence intact in Russia for the time being, while complying with international sanctions and with the backing of its main shareholder, the French state, two sources close to the matter told Reuters."

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/renault-resumes-production-moscow-plant

I don't think this is entirely fair. What Renault are doing may or may not be wrong, but Turkey and its companies, India and its companies, China and its companies, are doing nothing at all (except taking advantage of the juicy discounts). Why do they get away with it with no wrath at all, where Renault by virtue of being 'Western' deserve to go bankrupt for this business decision? Why are Western companies expected to compete on such a pitched playing field. It can only result in more business and capital flowing East.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,317
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

I know the climate is wrong for making this admission and with all due apologies to people's sensibilities, but the old Soviet National Anthem is just a wonderful piece of music.
    Yes, it's a truly rousing anthem. I wish ours was less boring, I think it's part of the reason we're shit at sport. Other teams have great national anthems to really get them going before a match, we have the world's dullest anthem.
    The English/British anthem is utter shit. I can only think of two people on here who would possibly feel any pride when hearing it: @HYUFD and @malcolmg
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Yes, I remember and it's true. It was a cracker.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Nestlé has halted sales of “non-essential” items such as coffee pods to Russia, has ceased advertising support and says it does not make a profit on the goods it continues to sell there.

As I stated down thread, I think is interesting exercise to ask where is the moral line is here. I think pulling out of providing essentials is going too far. However I smell serious bullshit in the claims no no we don't make any money at all out of goods being sold.

If they are only selling essentials, is it good or bad that they are not making a profit? no profit implies lower prices? I wold say if you have to do biasness in Russia then put you prices up, make a massive profit and give it to the Ukrainians. No discount prices to the Russians!

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,819
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

The English/British anthem is utter shit. I can only think of two people on here who would possibly feel any pride when hearing it: @HYUFD and @malcolmg
    I think it's fine. It's often played too slowly, but it is simple and straightforward to belt out, which is handy, even if it is certainly not as rousing or exciting as many others.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,919

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

The best English anthem has yet to be written, for it needs to be set to the opening bars of Parry’s Symphony number 2. Close your eyes and all of England is there - the rolling green hills, in the rain, the seaside rocks with white horses, in the rain, the filthy towns with smelly livestock driven through or queuing for the nightclub, in the rain.

Holst's music from "Jupiter", used for "I vow to thee my country is pretty close I think:

That's cheating. Clearly devine.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,327

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Has @Scott_xP made any comment as I assume he will be embarrassed by this behaviour and call it out
    The PB Remoaners are staying quiet. The only voices responding are those condemning this despicable act and the outright Putin apologists engaging in whataboutism.
    As a Remainer, I think what the French are doing, or not doing is despicable; had we still been members of t.he EU of course, we could have brought pressure to bear instead of impotently waffling from the sidelines.
    Exhibit A - British beef, when were in the EU. EU control to stop the French illegally restricting British beef? Zero.

France will do whatever the fuck best suits France. End of.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

It is an uninspiring dirge and needs replacement
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Yes, if we change the anthem I think that should be in the running, Jerusalem is too specific to England. I Vow To Thee My Country is non-specific and quite the song and we could probably dump the second bit about God/religion for sporting events.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,459
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

mwadams said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

I’m a Libdem and speaking up. The only way to steer something like this is to reform yourself and lead by example. How squeaking clean and brilliant are we before shouting about everyone else (I agree the French undercutting sanctions and pressure on Putin is disgusting)

The night of the invasion of Ukraine Britains Tory Prime Minister was at a fund raising do shamelessly courting yet more dirty money, the Murdoch press claim.

Maybe the PM can actually make it to PMQs this week and answer these questions for himself rather than hiding from awkward questions? Maybe then we will have a clearer picture how squeaky clean and brilliant our own government is?
    Much as I can't stand the Government, that's whataboutery, not speaking up, I'm afraid.
    Indeed. We do need to be cleaner, in a lot of ways, but that doesn't prevent commentary on others. Sometimes stones need to be cast before waiting for someone sin free to do it.

But the anti-French stuff has been a bit overblown.
    There's clearly been some very bad behivour by the French as regards AutoVAZ/Renault. They should have said that restarting production was against the spirit of the sanctions. No doubt there was a fear that in an industry like automotive, the Russian government might simply strip them of the asset. (Which, like Exxon and BP they should simply have accepted.)

With regards to the French retailer, it's pretty poor behaviour. And I suspect if we look around, we'll probably find some other companies from other countries who have cynically chosen to use sanctions on Russia to make big additional profits. But it's not clear to me (although I may be wrong) that the French government is actually going and telling their companies to invest in Russia.
    I think it's time for the US and UK to sanction Renault and Total. Total specifically are on the shit list, they are literally helping Putin keep the gas going and build up new FX reserves. Renault I don't actually give too many fucks about but Total need to be frozen out by western nations if they continue doing business with Putin.
    Agree 100% re Total, and don't forget Schlumberger.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,518
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If enough western companies continue to do business in Russia then the sanctions will fail. It’s as simple as that

So any company still in Russia is complicit in Russia remaining in the Ukraine, slaughtering people, and possibly winning the war

That's not quite true.

The sanctions prohibit the export of goods to Russia, they do not prohibit the subsidiaries of Western firms from operating in Russia.

And that is true of UK, Swiss, EU and US sanctions.

However, most subsidiaries - like P&G - are selling imported goods. They therefore might as well close down most of their operations in Russia, as they will have very little to sell.

Any Russian manufacturing that is dependent on the import of components - unless those components are solely sourceable from China - will therefore grind to a halt once once inventories are exhausted.

The biggest component issues that Russia will face will be of complex electronics. The question - really - is the willingness of the Chinese to renege on contractual obligations and sell, for example, ARM based chips to Russian clients. How the Chinese government sways on this will tell us an awful lot.
    Question I asked down thread.....do the likes of Renault rely on ARM based chips for production? I would guess they are used for the info-tainment system at the very least.
    I would be staggered if there weren't ARM powered components (of some kind) in pretty much every production motor vehicle.

Pretty much. Tesla use ARM in their FSD, and the various ARM instruction sets can be found in lots of secondary devices - even radios.

BTW, there are big job layoffs at ARM now the NVIDIA deal is off and they're going public. 1,000 jobs, or 15% of the global workforce. All my friends I've asked are safe, but it's shitty.

BTW2, ARM are IPOing in the US, not London.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

It depends on the occasion when it is sung.

I was in the crowd at an England game at Twickenham and with a full house singing it the effect was electric.

I've also sung it when the object of the song was sat about fifty feet away listening...
  • Options

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

To be fair if the 26 others cannot prevent this then the UK within the EU would not been able to either
    They can't prevent it because none of the sanctions (from anywhere) can bind Russian domiciled subsidiaries.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,732
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Yep - 6 nations just shows how poor the English (British) Anthem is. Welsh - superb, Scottish - bit whiny anti English, but hey, that's their thing, Irish - Love Ireland's Call. Even the French one is pretty rousing.
    Probably they are all worth a 7 point lead.
  • Options

I think they are using weasle words. Essentially, Nestle is saying "we've stopped selling products that we're unable to import into Russia because of sanctions." They're trying to make a virtue out of something they simply can't do anyway.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,839
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

I think it's fine. It's often played too slowly, but it is simple and straightforward to belt out, which is handy, even if it is certainly not as rousing or exciting as many others.
    It will never happen, but "I vow to thee my country" by Gustav Holst would be a far better national anthem.

EDIT - I see some others have suggested the same.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,796
    kle4 said:

mwadams said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

I’m a Libdem and speaking up. The only way to steer something like this is to reform yourself and lead by example. How squeaking clean and brilliant are we before shouting about everyone else (I agree the French undercutting sanctions and pressure on Putin is disgusting)

The night of the invasion of Ukraine Britains Tory Prime Minister was at a fund raising do shamelessly courting yet more dirty money, the Murdoch press claim.

Maybe the PM can actually make it to PMQs this week and answer these questions for himself rather than hiding from awkward questions? Maybe then we will have a clearer picture how squeaky clean and brilliant our own government is?
    Much as I can't stand the Government, that's whataboutery, not speaking up, I'm afraid.
    Indeed. We do need to be cleaner, in a lot of ways, but that doesn't prevent commentary on others. Sometimes stones need to be cast before waiting for someone sin free to do it.

“Sometimes stones need to be cast before waiting for someone sin free to do it“

Are you sure?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

mwadams said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

There's clearly been some very bad behivour by the French as regards AutoVAZ/Renault. They should have said that restarting production was against the spirit of the sanctions. No doubt there was a fear that in an industry like automotive, the Russian government might simply strip them of the asset. (Which, like Exxon and BP they should simply have accepted.)

With regards to the French retailer, it's pretty poor behaviour. And I suspect if we look around, we'll probably find some other companies from other countries who have cynically chosen to use sanctions on Russia to make big additional profits. But it's not clear to me (although I may be wrong) that the French government is actually going and telling their companies to invest in Russia.
    I think it's time for the US and UK to sanction Renault and Total. Total specifically are on the shit list, they are literally helping Putin keep the gas going and build up new FX reserves. Renault I don't actually give too many fucks about but Total need to be frozen out by western nations if they continue doing business with Putin.
    Yes, another one on the shit list. I actually think Biden and Boris should make the point very publicly that western companies have a duty to not fund Putin's assault on Ukraine, even if that means western shareholders take the hit as BP and Exxon shareholders have (me included). Maybe even name and shame Total and Schlumberger. If Macron doesn't like it then he should have put French government pressure on them to withdraw from Russia, it really seems as though he's done the opposite and been assuring Putin that French companies will continue to operate during his numerous phone calls.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,104
    Aslan said:

A thoughtful post.
  • Options

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

I don't agree, it's an OK melody and easy to sing. I'm astonished we've had a vote in favour of Flower of Scotland from a non-Scot. It's heinous. Hearing a crowd drone it out all at different times and in different keys is bad, really bad. That's a dirge. It's nothing to do with Scotland by the way Nats - The Bonny Bonny Banks of Loch Lomond is about the best song in the world.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Aslan said:

A thoughtful post.
    This wasn't supposed to happen was it, Rog? Where's your precious EU, why is vibrant and metropolitan France bankrolling Putin's invasion of Ukraine?!
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

It will never happen, but "I vow to thee my country" by Gustav Holst would be a far better national anthem.
    Actually, I've though of another that might be even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-q9xeOgG4
  • Options

TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

“Democrats working to save their slim majority in the House in November’s elections have been sounding alarm bells lately over research showing that Republican attacks on culture-war issues are working, particularly with center-left, Hispanic and independent voters.”

NYT ($$)

Inflation, cost of living crisis, energy security, levelling up, growing the economy and not weaponising division ?
    Most of those are either caused by government actions or, at best, are global tides that Johnson can do no more about than Canute did.

Let's be honest the identitarian left and right both love nothing more than a bit of culture war. It's a nice playground game that helps them to get outraged under controlled conditions, is distracting from real tricky political issues and leaves them with a feeling of virtue. It's the wars of religion de nos jours.

I would hazard a guess based on social media that perhaps 15-20% of the population really indulge in culture warring, with roughly a 50:50 split between those outraged by "far right bigotry" and those equally offended by "left wing woke nonsense". Perhaps another 40-50% of the population have a mild leaning towards one side or the other, the Anglican church of these particular wars of religion (I'd put myself in that camp), and the rest don't even know it's happening.
    Much as there is supposedly a 'culture war', the 'right' aren't really in it at the moment, beyond huffing about the ridiculousness of it all and then rolling over. If you want to win something, you articulate an alternative vision
    Leon said:

"Renault's board has decided to keep its presence intact in Russia for the time being, while complying with international sanctions and with the backing of its main shareholder, the French state, two sources close to the matter told Reuters."

I don't think this is entirely fair. What Renault are doing may or may not be wrong, but Turkey and its companies, India and its companies, China and its companies, are doing nothing at all (except taking advantage of the juicy discounts). Why do they get away with it with no wrath at all, where Renault by virtue of being 'Western' deserve to go bankrupt for this business decision? Why are Western companies expected to compete on such a pitched playing field. It can only result in more business and capital flowing East.
    Because Macron would have us believe that his lengthy phone calls with Putin were about putting pressure on Russia not to invade/to cease hostilities.

When what he was actually doing was extolling the virtues of the legroom in the Renault Mégane
    But nobody here is going on about 'Chinese scum'. They get a totally free pass for some reason.
  • Options
    After years of being depressed about cancel culture, it is nice to see that it can potentially be a force for good (in the case of companies continuing to operate in Russia).

• Options

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

I don't agree, it's an OK melody and easy to sing. I'm astonished we've had a vote in favour of Flower of Scotland from a non-Scot. It's heinous. Hearing a crowd drone it out all at different times and in different keys is bad, really bad. That's a dirge. It's nothing to do with Scotland by the way Nats - The Bonny Bonny Banks of Loch Lomond is about the best song in the world.
    It is good to disagree but I have never liked the national anthem and to be honest my Scottish wife does not like Scotlands

Of course our Welsh anthem is fantastic
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Scott_xP said:

Interesting that Keir Starmer on @BBCWorldatOne wouldn't give his support to the 11 Labour MPs who signed a Stop The War letter on Ukraine standing at the next election.

Full story here. May well ruffle some feathers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-john-mcdonnell-diane-abbott_uk_6239ddc9e4b0f1e82c4f11f6

Isn't this a complete non story by the usual suspects.
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Interesting that Keir Starmer on @BBCWorldatOne wouldn't give his support to the 11 Labour MPs who signed a Stop The War letter on Ukraine standing at the next election.

Full story here. May well ruffle some feathers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-john-mcdonnell-diane-abbott_uk_6239ddc9e4b0f1e82c4f11f6

This is what he needs to do, along with other stuff, if he is to win a couple of million Tory voters to his side. He needs 3.7 million more votes to match the Tories vote in 2019. That's: everyone who voted Labour + everyone who voted LD in 2019. So he needs Tory help. He won't get it if he gives an inch to the NATO hating Russia sympathising left.

I haven't really seen many people shilling for Russia apart from George Galloway and Chris Williamson (and I would dispute whether they are on 'the left' anymore).

Even Craig Murray has unequivocally condemned Russia.

I'm actually confused about the whole NATO thing, whether you think any critiques of NATO strategies should be allowed or not even if one supports NATO and recognises Putin as the aggresor in this conflict?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

If they are only selling essentials, is it good or bad that they are not making a profit? no profit implies lower prices? I wold say if you have to do biasness in Russia then put you prices up, make a massive profit and give it to the Ukrainians. No discount prices to the Russians!

As much as I hate what Evil Putin has done to our world and the brilliant Ukraine people, denying all Russians Yorkshire Tea is just so wrong, it’s an essential item imo.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

I don't actually think it would be in the running as the CoE says it is heretical, placing the love of the nation above the love for God. Still a great song and before football matches it would get the team and crowd going.
  • Options

TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

Leon said:

Because Macron would have us believe that his lengthy phone calls with Putin were about putting pressure on Russia not to invade/to cease hostilities.

When what he was actually doing was extolling the virtues of the legroom in the Renault Mégane
    But nobody here is going on about 'Chinese scum'. They get a totally free pass for some reason.
    It's a fair point: the reality is that the Chinese in particular have rubbed their hands in glee and continued trading with Russia. With the French, there's been a (immoral) attempt to maintain investments, but as far as I'm aware they are abiding by the sanctions.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

kle4 said:

mwadams said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Are you sure?
    Yes, I am sure. Sin free people (and nations) do not exist in the real world. And waiting for a perfect world before addressing a problem would be a greater sin than acting despite having some sin.

Scaled down, that means that you can still criticise others without being perfect yourself, so long as you are aware of your own failings.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,014
    RTÉ news suggesting that a redeveloped Casement Park in the North (a GAA ground) would be a candidate for housing matches for Euro 2024, along with Croke Park and Lansdowne Road in Dublin.

They didn't mention the stadium in Cork (Dublin bias, typical).
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    FYI: other companies should be on the shit list. Nabors, one of the world's largest oil drilling rig companies, has decided that being the only Western companies still operating in Russia means higher prices and bigger profits.

There are a lot of firms that need to be called out.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,097
    edited March 2022
    I did point out at the time on here that Liz Truss and her desire for headlines when announcing the sanctioning of Usmanov and others rather than following the usual precedents might allow some people to funnel their money before the sanctions properly kicked in and let them get away with it.

The UK government is collaborating with Putin if they don't sort it out.

A Russian billionaire sanctioned by the UK says he no longer owns many former properties, potentially putting them beyond the reach of the law.

Ex-Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov's £82m London home and Surrey mansion were put into trusts linked to the oligarch.

This raises questions over the effectiveness of sanctions imposed since the invasion of Ukraine began.

The UK government says Mr Usmanov "cannot access his assets".

On 3 March, seven days after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Alisher Usmanov was added to the list of sanctioned Russian businessmen.

His assets were frozen, he was banned from visiting the UK, and British citizens and businesses were banned from dealing with him.

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said: “We will hit oligarchs and individuals closely associated with the Putin regime and his barbarous war.”

The government said sanctions would cut him off from “significant UK interests including mansions worth tens of millions”.

But this is now in doubt because Mr Usmanov’s spokesman says he is no longer the legal owner of many of those assets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60825983

Honestly this is worse than the French okaying Renault to start back in Russia.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,050
    edited March 2022
    There is a ready-made national anthem: Pomp and Circumstance March No.1, or Land of Hope and Glory. It’s as rousing a tune as one could wish for, and it was written by the country’s greatest composer.

There shouldn’t even be a debate about this.
  • Options

TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

Leon said:

A couple of thousand years in the bank. Who knows.
  • Options
    darkage said:

After years of being depressed about cancel culture, it is nice to see that it can potentially be a force for good (in the case of companies continuing to operate in Russia).

This is surely an example of where it should be used, stopping companies from profiting off Putin's brutal invasion of another country is protecting democracy and our way of life. Stopping female professors from speaking out about women's rights does precisely the opposite.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

I did point out at the time on here that Liz Truss and her desire for headlines when announcing the sanctioning of Usmanov and others rather than following the usual precedents might allow some people to funnel their money before the sanctions properly kicked in could let get away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't done before / right as the invasion started.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,771
    MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

I don't actually think it would be in the running as the CoE says it is heretical, placing the love of the nation above the love for God. Still a great song and before football matches it would get the team and crowd going.
    The CofE can, quite frankly, fuck right off. None of their business.
    Anyway, I prefer Jerusalem. Though obviously that is English not British.
  • Options

There is a ready-made national anthem: Pomp and Circumstance March No.1, or Land of Hope and Glory. It’s as rousing a tune as one could wish for, and it was written by the country’s greatest composer.

There shouldn’t even be a debate about this.

So you actually think that it's better than "Life" by Des'ree?
  • Options

TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

Leon said:

I am pleased i drive a Jap car not a French one tonight. Toyota Yaris Sport. Best car ever

The hell they gave our boys in those camps is so long ago and forgotten now. Did you know the japs ate the livers of their prisoners because it gave them strength.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

But that's just wrong. It's a 3 tier system ,bottom to top

all earthly things

my country

another country I've heard of long ago, which surely even that bleating ninny Welby realises is the kingdom of heaven?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

mwadams said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Are you sure?
    Yes, I am sure. Sin free people (and nations) do not exist in the real world. And waiting for a perfect world before addressing a problem would be a greater sin than acting despite having some sin.

Scaled down, that means that you can still criticise others without being perfect yourself, so long as you are aware of your own failings.
    What sort of world is that?
  • Options

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLT7Btuqpc
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,397
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

I personally would go with GSTQ but not the dreary dirge version. Give me the Sex Pistols any day.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,125
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

mwadams said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Schlumberger have suspended operations in Russia along with Baker and Halliburton.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,549

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

It is good to disagree but I have never liked the national anthem and to be honest my Scottish wife does not like Scotlands

Quite right too, she has good taste. A man's a man, or Scots wha hae, are the ones to go for depending on context,
  • Options
    This is mildly interesting, though tells us less than we already knew: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/22/inside-russias-notorious-troll-factory-flooding-social-media/
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

all earthly things

my country

another country I've heard of long ago, which surely even that bleating ninny Welby realises is the kingdom of heaven?
    I think it's the line about making the "final sacrifice" for one's country but not for God which rankles for the CoE. At least that's what our religious studies teacher at school (a CoE school) used to say. I think the song is probably too unwoke for Welby, talk of loving one's nation is probably an anachronism to him.
  • Options
    D'Ye Ken John Peel

a celebration of all that is best about the country.
  • Options
    about 3 or 4 hours ago, there where reports that the Ukranians had advanced and cut off a large group of Russian forces, 10-12 BTGs, but have not heard much since and not sing anything elsewhere, do we know if it was accurate, exaggerated or false, or have things changed again?
  • Options

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLT7Btuqpc
    I rather like Flower of Scotland. Upbeat jaunty melody and easy to sing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,646
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Quite right too, she has good taste. A man's a man, or Scots wha hae, are the ones to go for depending on context,
    On good taste she did marry me near 60 years ago !!!!!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

This is mildly interesting, though tells us less than we already knew: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/22/inside-russias-notorious-troll-factory-flooding-social-media/

Doesn't mention posting on PB.....
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Putting God’s teaching and wisdom before nation is exactly their business.

CoE don’t like Jerusalem too, it’s banned from the hymnal’s 😝

there isn’t the clarity for a hymn. You don’t project onto a hymn, the hymn projects onto you. Look at Blakes nonsense poem verses. What is the virtue they are extolling? What specifically are they adoring?

I would like to suggest Parry’s Blessed Pair as the English anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFOrXjnVzfI
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Paywall, so I cant read, what are the big reviles?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

Leon said:

This is one of the strange elements of Putin's invasion of Ukraine. Other dictatorships are far more subtle and secretive about their evil doings, allowing them to fly well under the western consumer radar with barely any consequences at all. China have managed to get away with unthinkable terror in Xinjiang, with basically no consequences.

By contrast, Putin's actions read as an outright provocation - It is the 'nightmare' return of the Nazi's which most of us have been indoctrinated to guard obsessively against. So the reaction is not that surprising. Had Putin carried on with low key meddling away in Donbass and Luhansk, there would have been hardly any consequences, and he could in all probability have got what he wanted.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,047

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Really? Which ones?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Cookie said:

Paywall, so I cant read, what are the big reviles?
    You can usually cut and paste the link into an incognito tab to read. But the gist is that trolls can get paid $350 a month and the standard is generally hog-whimperingly low.
  • Options
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Frankly, I really don't see how "I vow to thee" puts country above God. The second verse seems to do the exact opposite.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,291

TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

Leon said:

I am pleased i drive a Jap car not a French one tonight. Toyota Yaris Sport. Best car ever

The hell they gave our boys in those camps is so long ago and forgotten now. Did you know the japs ate the livers of their prisoners because it gave them strength.
    Never heard that before, and some of my teachers in the 50’s had been prisoners of the Japs.

Going round cemeteries such as Kanchenaburi can still bring a tear to the eye, though. All those young men who starved or died of mistreatment.
  • Options
    Still not legally done, surely. No notice. How can the workers be getting decent advice from their unions, too, at such a rush?

And gagging orders too.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,378
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Really? Which ones?
    @Farooq
    This absolute looney tune Farooq is really barking. Does the idiot know anything or ever read posts , me like the butcher's apron , more than one screw lose with that halfwit for sure coming out with drivel like that. Seriously strange troll.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Still not legally done, surely. No notice. How can the workers be getting decent advice from their unions, too, at such a rush?

And gagging orders too.
    It does look like it could be attractive to some but I have no idea about legalities, indeed does anybody ?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

It is their business. They are the ideological arm of the mostly English state that is the UK.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,358
    MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Awful scanning: "I-I vow... t'thee my cou-untry..."

Should have got W.S.Gilbert to write the lyrics, at least they'd have scanned (and been funnier). (Ok, so he was dead but a dead WSG would have been better than Sir Cecil Spring Pancake Rice.)

Plus, ridiculous sentiments. "...her shining bounds increase, ...and all her paths are peace" Er, how to those two work ? Empire-building by peace offensive?

Apart from that - great choice.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Really? Which ones?
    @Farooq
    This absolute looney tune Farooq is really barking. Does the idiot know anything or ever read posts , me like the butcher's apron , more than one screw lose with that halfwit for sure coming out with drivel like that. Seriously strange troll.
    Sadly Malcolm it is you that seems at the edge of sanity.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Really? Which ones?
    @Farooq
    Eh?
  • Options

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

there isn’t the clarity for a hymn. You don’t project onto a hymn, the hymn projects onto you. Look at Blakes nonsense poem verses. What is the virtue they are extolling? What specifically are they adoring?
    If CofE won't do what they're told, other religions are available.

The merit in Jerusalem is mainly the melody. I remember once walking up on to the Moors from Hebden Bridge on a glorious late summer afternoon and hearing the strains of a brass band playing Jerusalem. It was the most English moment of my life.
    But I like Blake's contribution too. I don't pretend to know what he meant by it. But from what I take from it it is perfect for an anthem: I love my country, which, though, favoured, I recognise is not perfect. And I will strive to make it better.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

And gagging orders too.
    It does look like it could be attractive to some but I have no idea about legalities, indeed does anybody ?
    Dunno but someone said that you need to consult with the unions for a start.

And to bounce people into signing on the dotted line is bloody evil management. It saturates the union advisers. When I was made redundant I made damn sure I consulted the union and was clear that I was being reasonably done by. This is impossible here, surely.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Should have got W.S.Gilbert to write the lyrics, at least they'd have scanned (and been funnier). (Ok, so he was dead but a dead WSG would have been better than Sir Cecil Spring Pancake Rice.)

Plus, ridiculous sentiments. "...her shining bounds increase, ...and all her paths are peace" Er, how to those two work ? Empire-building by peace offensive?

What about the EU?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And gagging orders too.

And to bounce people into signing on the dotted line is bloody evil management. It saturates the union advisers. When I was made redundant I made damn sure I consulted the union and was clear that I was being reasonably done by. This is impossible here, surely.
    It is a mess but lets hope the compensation is generous, as I simply do not see a path to how it was for these employees
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Double post: sorry.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

We should confuse the hell out of everybody and choose Jerusalem the Golden, in its full version (which so clearly confuses England and Heaven in Neale's translation that the first half is almost never sung now).

that aside, it is a grand tune. Far better than Jerusalem which is one of Parry's weaker and less interesting efforts.

If we have to go with Parry at least have something rousing like I Was Glad.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Really? Which ones?
    @Farooq
    Beneath that tough and gruff English-hating exterior is a heart bursting with BRITISH pride, malc.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Really? Which ones?
    @Farooq
    Sadly Malcolm it is you that seems at the edge of sanity.
    Beyond that I fear.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And gagging orders too.

It is a mess but lets hope the compensation is generous, as I simply do not see a path to how it was for these employees
    How can they know if it's generous or fraudulently low?

I hope the French find some way of clobbering P&O. I don't suppose for a moment HMG will do more than send some [edit] unfortunate person who gets the short straw to wring hands on TV.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

all earthly things

my country

I think it's the line about making the "final sacrifice" for one's country but not for God which rankles for the CoE. At least that's what our religious studies teacher at school (a CoE school) used to say. I think the song is probably too unwoke for Welby, talk of loving one's nation is probably an anachronism to him.
    It is actually rather creepy. Here's the original first verse

I heard my country calling, away across the sea,
    Across the waste of waters, she calls and calls to me.
    Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on her head,[14]
    And around her feet are lying the dying and the dead;
    I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns;
    I haste to thee, my mother, a son among thy sons.

and history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Vow_to_Thee,_My_Country
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,104
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

French retailer Leroy Merlin announced that they were expanding in Russia to benefit from other brands pulling out. This was the Ukrainian Defence Ministry's response:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1505872338037923841

LEROY MERLIN became the first company in the world to finance the bombing of its own stores and killing its own employees.

Inhumane, harrowing greed.

Even as Leroy Merlin’s store in Kyiv was bombed by the Russians, killing an employee

The shamelessness is astounding

Imagine if Marks and Sparks decided to expand trade in Russia even as its Kharkiv branch was shelled, slaughtering a cashier

Goes to show the spinelessness of French media and social media as well. No british company doing this would survive the outrage
    What on earth is going on with France and sanction busting ?
    Personally I won't be buying French fries, French bread or French letters until Putin has been deposed.
    I'm partitioning my en suite bathroom as we speak
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,397

TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

Leon said:

Never heard that before, and some of my teachers in the 50’s had been prisoners of the Japs.

Going round cemeteries such as Kanchenaburi can still bring a tear to the eye, though. All those young men who starved or died of mistreatment.
    Lord Russell of Liverpool documented Japanese canabalism in cut off units, so quite possible. One of my cousins was fighting a cut off Japanese division in New Guinea in 1945, and they were absolutely starving. Still fought had though.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

What about the EU?
    I think they'll stick with Ode to Joy ;-)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

The "paths are peace" bit is about the kingdom of God. Yes, it's silly in its own way, but it's not what you think.

The bit about Britain is the verse above. The "sacrifice the best on the altar" bit. That's more like it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,014
    BigRich said:

about 3 or 4 hours ago, there where reports that the Ukranians had advanced and cut off a large group of Russian forces, 10-12 BTGs, but have not heard much since and not sing anything elsewhere, do we know if it was accurate, exaggerated or false, or have things changed again?

I think it's simply been a combination of wishful thinking and exaggeration in the retelling.

We know Ukraine have done well to disrupt Russian supplies, with a combination of forces operating behind Russian lines, drones, and partisan activity, and they've made some recent statements that Russian forces only have three days of supplies left.

Maybe they also said that they'd managed to stop all supply convoys to the NW of Kyiv area for the last x days.

This then got passed on with the detail stripped out as supplies to Russians NW of Kyiv cut.

Which was misinterpreted to mean that the Ukrainians had encircled the Russian troops NW of Kyiv, which would take a lot more Ukrainian force than ambushing supply convoys.

So, most likely a case study in the miscommunication on the internet, and the confusion of the fog of war, rather than misinformation or deliberate exaggeration.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

We should confuse the hell out of everybody and choose Jerusalem the Golden, in its full version (which so clearly confuses England and Heaven in Neale's translation that the first half is almost never sung now).

that aside, it is a grand tune. Far better than Jerusalem which is one of Parry's weaker and less interesting efforts.

Trying to get your average international crowd to divide themselves into the required two choirs would be a bit of a challenge for those of us not of Welsh blood.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,091

Carnyx said:

And gagging orders too.
    Presumably although they have likely broken the law there is nothing criminal involved so if the parties agree a settlement it is done and dusted (apart from reputation). Looks like average of £45k per employee, but guess median will be closer to £20k with payments skewed to the longer serving managers.

Better than statutory but probably in line with what many blue chips would offer. Those who take them to court might get a bit more but loads of extra stress and worse cash flow.

We should probably look at making directors criminally liable for this type of mass redundancy, outside of the normal framework.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And gagging orders too.

How can they know if it's generous or fraudulently low?

I hope the French find some way of clobbering P&O. I don't suppose for a moment HMG will do more than send some [edit] unfortunate person who gets the short straw to wring hands on TV.
    As neither HMG, the unions or labour have either taken legal action or explained a way out of this it seems foreign flag vessels can do as they want

Time to boycott P & O and maybe ban them from UK ports but then does that need legislation

Amazing in just a few days P & O and Renault should trash their reputation comprehensively
  • Options

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

What about the EU?
    I think they'll stick with Ode to Joy ;-)
    Which is a great piece of music, but unsingable unless you have a professional choir (and tough even for them).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:
    Aslan said:

"The French are scum."

Trying to get your average international crowd to divide themselves into the required two choirs would be a bit of a challenge for those of us not of Welsh blood.
    That wouldn't be a problem. After all, it is builded as a city that is at unity in itself.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,616
    edited March 2022
    A discussion on Russian state TV about launching a nuclear attack on Poland and opening a corridor to Kaliningrad:

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1506334785270173702
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

mwadams said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Are you sure?

What sort of world is that?
    The one we live in.

No one is saying we cannot aspire to do better and behave better, but there's a reason 'Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good' is a saying.
This discussion has been closed.