Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The French election looking even more likely to be a 2017 re-run – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Is there a list of companies refusing to cease trading in Russia?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,355
    Ukraine is claiming they've shot down their 100th Russian aircraft over Mariupol.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,188

MaxPB said:

Time for everyone to set fire to their nearest Renault.

You first.
    Pics required or permanent internet teeny tot status conferred.
    Bit unfair. Only 2022 on reg ones, surely.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,285

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

ping said:

Have we done this? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/22/uk-and-republic-of-ireland-in-line-to-host-euro-2028-after-no-one-else-bids

Would be absolutely fantastic news. It's likely to be 32 teams so we'll need a lot of stadiums in great cities. Here's my recommendations:

• Wembley, London
    • White Hart Lane, London
    • Old Trafford, Manchester
    • Parkhead, Glasgow (preferred to Hampden, better stadium)
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • City Ground (extended), Nottingham
    • St James' Park, Newcastle
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Bramhall Lane, Sheffield (preferred to Hillsborough as closer to city centre?)
    • Falmer, Brighton (maybe)
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

I think ROI probably deserve another stadium. Cork or Galway, perhaps?

Also, Villa Park. You can’t leave out Britains second city…
    Stupid mistake by me! Now added...

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Bramhall Lane, Sheffield (preferred to Hillsborough as closer to city centre?)
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    Nailed on:

Wembley
    Old Trafford (assuming it isn't being rebuilt...)
    Aviva (Dublin)
    Principality (Cardiff)
    St James's Park
    Villa Park (hopefully this will be 50,000 by 2028)

And at least one in Scotland. I suspect Hampden would get the nod and then hopefully Murrayfield is also used.

I think it would be fair enough to use another venue in London given it serves a big population. Could Twickenham be an option given it has 20,000 more seats than WHL?

And I wouldn't rule out the Etihad being used and I wouldn't be surprised if the Stadium of Light is used.

Elland Road and Hillsborough need some TLC, but I'd like to see both used. If they rebuild the Leppings Lane End at Hillsborough, they can get that up to 45,000.

East Midlands is tricky. I think Leicester is more likely than Nottingham. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a second tier to some of the ground to make it 40,000+. Same goes for Southampton.
    The City Ground should have 38,000 seats by then and will be bigger than the King Power. And Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester so I think it might get the nod again (as in 1996) assuming Forest confirm that the redevelopment will be complete by 2028. But it's a close call, as you say.

Re: Stadium of Light, do you think they will have two in Greater Newcastle? As you say St James' Park is a certainty.

Good point about Twickenham, but sure WHL will be in there? London could probably have three as they are all far enough apart from each other?
    Anabobz being uncharacteristically uncaring of provincial sensibilities here - *Greater Newcastle*? I can hear the splutters of Mackem indignation from here. And 'Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester'? FWIW I probably agree, but that's a casually lobbed hand grenade if I ever I saw one.
    Both are simple statements of fact.
    The Metro area which includes both Sunderland and Newcastle is 'Tyne and Wear' - it has certainly been true in my lifetime that Sunderland was bigger than Newcastle (though Tyneside, the core of which is Newcastle, has always been bigger than Wearside).
    Now I'm not aware that there is any definition of 'Greater Newcastle' in the UK (though there is one in Australia) - but surely Greater Newcastle = Tyneside urban area. And Tyneside urban area does have a(n ONS) definition. And it doesn't include Sunderland.

This list is relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

This isn't my fight, by the way, except in the sense that all quibbles of geographical pedantry are my fight.
    I once stayed in a hotel in Wearside while working at a client in Tyneside - didn't notice passport control between the two!

I'd have thought that any analysis of how people move around the area for work or leisure would see the two as part of a cohesive whole.
    Indeed – the fact that they share the same Tube network, have the same telephone code and you can drive 'between' them without ever encountering countryside is something of a dead giveaway...
    Well yes, but my quibble is with 'Greater Newcastle'. You wouldn't call Bradford part of Greater Leeds, or Coventry part of Greater Birmingham. Greater Manchester is ok because Manchester City Centre (or in planning speak 'the regional centre' so that we also include Central Salford, Salford Quays and a bit of Trafford) outweighs Oldham, Stockport, Rochdale etc to a much bigger degree than Newcastle does to Sunderland, Leeds does to Bradford or Birmingham does to Coventry.

EDIT: Travel to Work Areas show Sunderland separate from Newcastle in a way that Greater Manchester's outlying towns are not separate from Manchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_to_work_area
    There’s no right or wrong on these things.
    I could counter your argument on TTWA by proposing that a lack of joined up transport infrastructure has prevented what should be - geographically - a single travel to work area.

I personally tend toward a “Greater…” approach because I think the branding helps the push toward joined up devolution etc.

I could go Newcastle-Sunderland at a push, although that would presumably piss off Gatesheaders.
    Agree – Greater Manchester is a strong brand that has helped unify the metro rather than give into petty parochial nonsense. Other metro areas have missed a trick with their unwieldy names.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited March 2022
    I don't know much about car industry, but there are sanctions on importation of any computer chips to Russia that use any US design or patents. Have the UK imposed this? Do things like info-tainment systems in modern cars use ARM based stuff?

Obviously the actual silicon is made I guess in Taiwan (or China), but what about the IP that goes into them?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    If it's a choice between Emirates and White Hart Lane for the second London stadium, then it's perhaps a tighter call than you might expect:

Things in favour of White Hart Lane: 2,500 more seats, it's newer so it's got more mod-cons.
    Things in favour of Emirates: quite a bit more corporate capacity, it's not in a shithole, it has better travel connections.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808

Leon said:

Leon said:

An Italian magazine is alleging that this is a coordinated French government decision. Do not stop business in Russia

Total, Auchan, Decathlon and multiple other French companies are ignoring the sanctions. Not just Renault

The French never go too long without giving you a reason to despise them

The UK should sanction any company that continues to do business in Russia.

Edit: that would be a Brexit benefit I could actually get behind.
    Agreed

It’s quite shocking. To me. I can understand companies that make medicines saying “we have to do this for the Russian people” but supermarkets, cars, perfumes, are not absolute necessities which cannot be replaced

And the fact so many French companies are just ignoring the sanctions suggests this is a planned policy - if they all do it then the reputational damage is shared and diluted. And they can make more profits as other western countries have pulled out!

How nice for them. How very very French

Renault directors were tried in 1945 for collaboration with the Nazis by repairing German tanks
    Despite the brief moment of unity from the EU, the medium term effects of the crisis could be very bad for its coherence as a political actor. Ukraine noticed that in their hour of need, Germany was happy to sit back and watch Russia create new facts on the ground, while France wanted to get them to come to terms with Putin so that Macron could pose as a great statesman. The EU's dirty secret is that the Franco-German core doesn't want another large member state to the east diluting their influence even further.
    Your conversion to the cause that many other people (who voted the opposite to you) now realise was pointless is quite stunning.
  • Options
    @JackDetsch
    NEW: U.S. has indications that Ukraine is now "able and willing" to take back territory overtaken by the Russian military: senior U.S. defense official

Ukraine's military is now trying to push the Russians out of Izyum, in East Ukraine, and has held Mykolaiv against 🇷🇺 attack.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1506288701076291589
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

MaxPB said:

Have we done this? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/22/uk-and-republic-of-ireland-in-line-to-host-euro-2028-after-no-one-else-bids

Would be absolutely fantastic news. It's likely to be 32 teams so we'll need a lot of stadiums in great cities. Here's my recommendations:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

You forgot the London Stadium.
    Nah, shit atmosphere for football. The two best London venues are WHL and Wembley.
    ;)

Yes, I can't see London Stadium or Highbury getting the nod. The challenge to White Hart Lane is Twickenham – as @tlg86 points out.
    I think there are enough good association football stadiums in London that they won't call upon Twickenham. They'd want to keep the money within association football.

I would think that it will be the two north London club grounds that are used, unless the police kick up a fuss about it.
    By "two north London stadiums" I can only assume you mean Wembley and White Hart Lane?
    I was thinking of New Highbury and New White Hart Lane in addition to Wembley.
    They won't have more than two in London. I can't find a link right now but I'm pretty sure UEFA have said in bid documents in the past that two stadiums in one city is the maximum.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If it's a choice between Emirates and White Hart Lane for the second London stadium, then it's perhaps a tighter call than you might expect:

Things in favour of White Hart Lane: 2,500 more seats, it's newer so it's got more mod-cons.
    Things in favour of Emirates: quite a bit more corporate capacity, it's not in a shithole, it has better travel connections.

White Hart Lane is a vastly superior ground, so there's that. Better atmosphere, bigger, much better facilities all round.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Nah, shit atmosphere for football. The two best London venues are WHL and Wembley.
    ;)

Yes, I can't see London Stadium or Highbury getting the nod. The challenge to White Hart Lane is Twickenham – as @tlg86 points out.
    I think there are enough good association football stadiums in London that they won't call upon Twickenham. They'd want to keep the money within association football.

I would think that it will be the two north London club grounds that are used, unless the police kick up a fuss about it.
    By "two north London stadiums" I can only assume you mean Wembley and White Hart Lane?
    They won't have more than two in London. I can't find a link right now but I'm pretty sure UEFA have said in bid documents in the past that two stadiums in one city is the maximum.
    How many stadiums are we aiming for here? I understand the desire to spread them out, but I could imagine cost/organisation being a factor.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170
    MaxPB said:

Glad I've stopped buying them. Last couple of cars I've had have been Skodas
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,975
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

An Italian magazine is alleging that this is a coordinated French government decision. Do not stop business in Russia

Total, Auchan, Decathlon and multiple other French companies are ignoring the sanctions. Not just Renault

about 2 weeks ago when lots of European nations started to offer weapons to the Ukrainians, I pointed out that the UK, Germanys, US and most others where giving weapons, where as the French where opening a line of credit for Ukraine to Buy French weapons.

After pointing that out I was informed on here that, the French offer was as good if not better than the UK and others, I did not understand that then, or now.
    The French arms included the Lepage 344mm Creme Brûlée gun - which turns entire divisions into Left Bank Existentialists with a single shot.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Ukraine is claiming they've shot down their 100th Russian aircraft over Mariupol.

For clarity, that will be their 100 fixed wing aircraft, that they have shot down in total, and happens to be over Mariupol. ?

I don't think they have clamed to shoot down 100 aircraft over Mariupol on its own, and they clamed to have destroyed over 100 helicopters a few days ago.

For reference, IIRC, the Russians started with 350 ish fixed wing aircraft and 500 helicopters assigned to this war according to western intelligence estimates.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

The UK should sanction any company that continues to do business in Russia.

Edit: that would be a Brexit benefit I could actually get behind.
    Agreed

It’s quite shocking. To me. I can understand companies that make medicines saying “we have to do this for the Russian people” but supermarkets, cars, perfumes, are not absolute necessities which cannot be replaced

And the fact so many French companies are just ignoring the sanctions suggests this is a planned policy - if they all do it then the reputational damage is shared and diluted. And they can make more profits as other western countries have pulled out!

How nice for them. How very very French

Renault directors were tried in 1945 for collaboration with the Nazis by repairing German tanks
    Despite the brief moment of unity from the EU, the medium term effects of the crisis could be very bad for its coherence as a political actor. Ukraine noticed that in their hour of need, Germany was happy to sit back and watch Russia create new facts on the ground, while France wanted to get them to come to terms with Putin so that Macron could pose as a great statesman. The EU's dirty secret is that the Franco-German core doesn't want another large member state to the east diluting their influence even further.
    Your conversion to the cause that many other people (who voted the opposite to you) now realise was pointless is quite stunning.
    Nigel "The Remainer" Foremain again attacks someone for criticising his beloved EU. Again the criticism of the EU wasn't related to Brexit in anyway at all, so "The Remainer" has to try to make it so.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    kjh said:

MaxPB said:

Excuse me. Although to be honest I wouldn't mind the insurance claim as it is starting to fall to bits.
    Put a big Z on the roof, perhaps a lost Ukrainian Drone can help you out?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    BigRich said:

For clarity, that will be their 100 fixed wing aircraft, that they have shot down in total, and happens to be over Mariupol. ?

I don't think they have clamed to shoot down 100 aircraft over Mariupol on its own, and they clamed to have destroyed over 100 helicopters a few days ago.

For reference, IIRC, the Russians started with 350 ish fixed wing aircraft and 500 helicopters assigned to this war according to western intelligence estimates.
    Yes, that is the Ukrainian claim -100 fixed wing aircraft defeated, total.

However the figure is widely doubted.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

White Hart Lane is a vastly superior ground, so there's that. Better atmosphere, bigger, much better facilities all round.
    Have you been to both? I still haven't been to Tottenham due to COVID postponing our game there, but will be going in May.

I'm not sure atmosphere counts for much, but for what it's worth, I don't think I've experienced a better atmosphere than the Emirates on a special European night (TM).
  • Options
    Case summary

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,433
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

You first.
    Pics required or permanent internet teeny tot status conferred.
    Bit unfair. Only 2022 on reg ones, surely.
    Germany, France and Ireland are always top of the list when the PB EUrophobics get going. Hopefully a wee while before I have to start worrying about Alfas and Ducatis.
  • Options
    Hospitals

• Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    I think that we need to treat visitors to some proper football grounds, like Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient) and Sixfields (Northampton Town). None of this corporate nonsense
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,654
    Alexey Navalny
    @navalny
    ·
    3h
    9 years. Well, as the characters of my favorite TV series “The Wire” used to say: “You only do two days. That's the day you go in and the day you come out"
    I even had a T-shirt with this slogan, but the prison authorities confiscated it, considering the print extremist.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170
    BigRich said:

Is there any part of Asiatic Russia that someone else fancies? N. Japan? Anything the Chinese or Mongolians think should be theirs. I see the Georgians are already making noises.
  • Options
    Deaths

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Leon said:

Never again shall we allow ourselves to be lectured by Macron or the EU or FBPEers on Ukraine.

Perhaps Carl bildt and the ex Finnish PM could give us their opinion on Renault simply ignoring sanctions. For the pursuit of profit

Still doing that repetition strategy I see. You only need do a few more thousand posts and you will genuinely believe Brexit was not pointless. As Frank Spencer might have put it "Every day in every way I get better and better"
    Can you show us how a remainer would criticise Renault and France for this?
    I am no longer a remainer, because there is no longer the option, any more than you are a "leaver" unless it that applies to the absence of your brain on occasion. If you are asking *me* I will tell you; it is fucking outrageous. That help you? I was commenting on the ridiculous and monotonous regularity that Leon wants to turn anything negative that a continental government government does into a reason for Brexit, because deep down he knows Brexit was fucking pointless. Same reason as Boris Johnson and his ridiculous parallel that he drew the other day.
    You're such a rude bitch.
    No, I am just witty and on the ball and you are not. Apologies if you find that offensive.
    You're not at all witty.
    That is because you would not recognise wit if it came up and slapped you around the face with a jumbo sized haddock.
    You're verbose and repetitive. If that counts for wit round your way..
    It's my whole gimmick, for what it's worth...
  • Options

I've stopped buying Alpro soya milk as I believe it is a Nestle brand.

Sticking to Lidl's own brand now.

Does anybody know if Nestle have stopped any bissness in Russia?

A few days ago there was a bad mood when it was reported that Procter and Gamble where still operating in Russia, then a spokesperson explained that they had stopped selling everything but baby food, tampons, (and maybe something else I cant remember), after that I found it harder to get angary. perhaps Nestle is doing the same?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Just arrived in a very spring like Cambridge for a Baltic event here.

I came from Tallinn via Warsaw over the weekend and the situation in Poland is quite a bit different from that I had imagined. Firstly there are Ukrainians EVERYWHERE in Warsaw. There are quite a few Ukrainian flags in Tallinn, but in Warsaw they can be seen in every context from car flags to paint designs. Almost everyone is wearing a gold and blue ribbon. Of course there are quite a few Ukrainian registered cars in Warsaw too, hardly a surprise since there are now nearly 3 million Ukrainians in Poland. The news is 100% wall-to-wall on Ukraine, there is almost literally nothing else. The Poles are very emotional about it. I was there when the concert with the little Ukrainian girl was broadcast and I am not sure, but the viewing figures must have been enormous. The pictures of Kharkiv and Mariupol carry a deep and intense resonance for Varsovians in particular. The Poles are angry and not a little scared, but most of all they are contemptuous: "What else can you expect from such barbarians?". Russia, is now hated and despised.The precipitate collapse of the Russian economy has made Poland suggest that it should now take the place of Russia in the G-20, since on several measures it now has a larger economy that the Russian Federation.

Coming to London and seeing the rather insipid displays of support for the beleagured Ukrainian nation has actually been slightly restful, since the intensity of feeling in Poland is so strong that it is almost difficult to take. The calm and phlegmatic Estonians doubtless feel just as stongly, but they are more diffident about showing intense feelings.

The NATO defence planning for the Baltic, despite the poor preformance of the Russian forces has unquestionably been taken to a new level. The idea of "trip wire", token forces has now been comprehensively abandonned and there is little doubt at the Estonian level, there will be full reinforcement. Tallinn expects the NATO/Russia basic agreement ot be denounced, and certainly there rotation of Uk troops will not now be made for many months.

We still cannot tell what the outcome of this shocking and barbaric Russian campaign will be, but for as long as the Ukrainians are in the fight, the propsects for Russia are growing dim indeed. There is little doubt that any Belarusian troops sent into Ukraine would either surrender immediately of even defect to the Ukrainian side, so it is hardly surprising the Lukashenka is looking like a man very much caught between two stools. While Russian passive resistence faces appalling repression, the campaign in Belarus is growing.

In the end I think it may be the fate of the Chechens that decides this. Their troops are hated and feared on their own side, so the loss of so many Chechen troops early in the campaign robbed the Russian commanders of a weapon to drive their troops forward. The Loss of Kadyrov would likewise be a very severe blow to Putin.

Invaluable reportage. Thankyou
    Yes, it's good to have Cicero's thoughtful, considered, informative and non-hysterical posts on the situation, isn't it Leon?
    Look, we are all better off if we have a solid basis for our hysteria...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,551
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Actually a few big fat “Z”s painted on Renaults might make the point quite well

French companies are not going to be popular in Eastern Europe
    I am not sure this site was set up to incite arson and vandalism.
  • Options
    COVID Summary

- Cases - UP. R Is flat or falling across regions and ages. NI is slightly up, though it is below 1. Scotland is very close to 1
    - In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - Slightly UP? need more data to be sure
    - Admissions - UP. R seems stable at 1.1 or so.
    - Deaths - Flat

• Options
    edited March 2022
    BigRich said:

A few days ago there was a bad mood when it was reported that Procter and Gamble where still operating in Russia, then a spokesperson explained that they had stopped selling everything but baby food, tampons, (and maybe something else I cant remember), after that I found it harder to get angary. perhaps Nestle is doing the same?
    Having seen a few videos of Russians showing prices in supermarkets, P&G won't even be flogging many boxes of the likes of Pampers...cost several weeks wages for your average Russian.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,881
    If enough western companies continue to do business in Russia then the sanctions will fail. It’s as simple as that

So any company still in Russia is complicit in Russia remaining in the Ukraine, slaughtering people, and possibly winning the war
  • Options

UK R

You work really hard on these – for which I'm thankful – I have found them useful. But do we think there will come a time soon when they will become background noise? Maybe weekly govt updates rather than daily? I rarely examine them these days.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Carter Ruck?

Don't think there is a definitive list, but stories seem to update every few days eg

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/world/western-companies-operating-russia-nestle-marks-spencer-burger-king-trading-decision-explained-3618377
  • Options

UK R

You work really hard on these – for which I'm thankful – I have found them useful. But do we think there will come a time soon when they will become background noise? Maybe weekly govt updates rather than daily? I rarely examine them these days.
    Yes I agree. A brief daily summary and then a weekly analysis would now suffice

But many thanks @Malmesbury for all the sterling work
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Have you been to both? I still haven't been to Tottenham due to COVID postponing our game there, but will be going in May.

I'm not sure atmosphere counts for much, but for what it's worth, I don't think I've experienced a better atmosphere than the Emirates on a special European night (TM).
    Yes I've been to both – there really is no comparison. Nu Highbury is a decent ground but it's simply not in the same class as White Hart Lane. And as for facilities: I can tell you haven't been to White Hart Lane, it is better by an order of magnitude in terms of catering and fan experience away from pitchside.
  • Options

UK R

@Malmesbury's annoying graphics removed

Deaths will probably start going up soon. The noise from iSage will rise in volume.
  • Options
    kjh said:

MaxPB said:

Excuse me. Although to be honest I wouldn't mind the insurance claim as it is starting to fall to bits.
    Had it a few months, have you?
  • Options

BigRich said:

Yes, that is the Ukrainian claim -100 fixed wing aircraft defeated, total.

However the figure is widely doubted.
    I would not stake my life or reputation on it. and there are bound to be some errors. but I think it may be right ball park. people doubted their clamed number of dead Russians, right up until last nights revelation shoed it to be approximately correct. for some reason the Russians are now flying a lot more missions than at the start of the war, there may be many reasons that contribute to this, but I think it likely that a) a lot have been shot down already, b) Russians know there is a good chance that any plan that flies might get shot down, are 2 of these reasons. but they would only be big reasons if the Ukrainians had shot down about as many as they clamed.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

UK R

Things are still moving on this.

EDIT: Plus some posters start their drinking based on when I post these.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,695
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

ping said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

I think ROI probably deserve another stadium. Cork or Galway, perhaps?

Also, Villa Park. You can’t leave out Britains second city…
    Stupid mistake by me! Now added...

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    Nailed on:

Wembley
    Old Trafford (assuming it isn't being rebuilt...)
    Aviva (Dublin)
    Principality (Cardiff)
    St James's Park
    Villa Park (hopefully this will be 50,000 by 2028)

And at least one in Scotland. I suspect Hampden would get the nod and then hopefully Murrayfield is also used.

I think it would be fair enough to use another venue in London given it serves a big population. Could Twickenham be an option given it has 20,000 more seats than WHL?

And I wouldn't rule out the Etihad being used and I wouldn't be surprised if the Stadium of Light is used.

Elland Road and Hillsborough need some TLC, but I'd like to see both used. If they rebuild the Leppings Lane End at Hillsborough, they can get that up to 45,000.

East Midlands is tricky. I think Leicester is more likely than Nottingham. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a second tier to some of the ground to make it 40,000+. Same goes for Southampton.
    The City Ground should have 38,000 seats by then and will be bigger than the King Power. And Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester so I think it might get the nod again (as in 1996) assuming Forest confirm that the redevelopment will be complete by 2028. But it's a close call, as you say.

Re: Stadium of Light, do you think they will have two in Greater Newcastle? As you say St James' Park is a certainty.

Good point about Twickenham, but sure WHL will be in there? London could probably have three as they are all far enough apart from each other?
    Anabobz being uncharacteristically uncaring of provincial sensibilities here - *Greater Newcastle*? I can hear the splutters of Mackem indignation from here. And 'Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester'? FWIW I probably agree, but that's a casually lobbed hand grenade if I ever I saw one.
    Both are simple statements of fact.
    The Metro area which includes both Sunderland and Newcastle is 'Tyne and Wear' - it has certainly been true in my lifetime that Sunderland was bigger than Newcastle (though Tyneside, the core of which is Newcastle, has always been bigger than Wearside).
    Now I'm not aware that there is any definition of 'Greater Newcastle' in the UK (though there is one in Australia) - but surely Greater Newcastle = Tyneside urban area. And Tyneside urban area does have a(n ONS) definition. And it doesn't include Sunderland.

This list is relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

This isn't my fight, by the way, except in the sense that all quibbles of geographical pedantry are my fight.
    I once stayed in a hotel in Wearside while working at a client in Tyneside - didn't notice passport control between the two!

I'd have thought that any analysis of how people move around the area for work or leisure would see the two as part of a cohesive whole.
    Indeed – the fact that they share the same Tube network, have the same telephone code and you can drive 'between' them without ever encountering countryside is something of a dead giveaway...
    Well yes, but my quibble is with 'Greater Newcastle'. You wouldn't call Bradford part of Greater Leeds, or Coventry part of Greater Birmingham. Greater Manchester is ok because Manchester City Centre (or in planning speak 'the regional centre' so that we also include Central Salford, Salford Quays and a bit of Trafford) outweighs Oldham, Stockport, Rochdale etc to a much bigger degree than Newcastle does to Sunderland, Leeds does to Bradford or Birmingham does to Coventry.

EDIT: Travel to Work Areas show Sunderland separate from Newcastle in a way that Greater Manchester's outlying towns are not separate from Manchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_to_work_area
    Fascinating. And argument conceded.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

I think that we need to treat visitors to some proper football grounds, like Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient) and Sixfields (Northampton Town). None of this corporate nonsense

Spotland
    Vale Park
    Fratton Park
    Roots Hall
    Priestfield
    Kenilworth Road
    Brunton Park
    St James Park
    Sincil Bank
    Cappielow Park
    Rodney Parade
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    RSC1000 - JSC АvtoVAZ - The company is owned by Lada Auto Holding, in which French Groupe Renault holds a controlling 67.61% stake (In September 2017, Nissan sold its AvtoVAZ stake to Renault for €45 million).
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,114
    Renault SUV owners are in deep trouble.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes I've been to both – there really is no comparison. Nu Highbury is a decent ground but it's simply not in the same class as White Hart Lane. And as for facilities: I can tell you haven't been to White Hart Lane, it is better by an order of magnitude in terms of catering and fan experience away from pitchside.
    I've eaten in the Diamond Club at the Emirates, which seemed alright.

But the Emirates does have a lot more boxes than White Hart Lane, and that might count for quite a bit.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,565

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Cyclefree said:

Having a birthday break. At the risk of going all @Leon on you, this is the view from our room. 19 degrees (!) when we left this morning.

BTW Gove's department is looking for a non-executive director. The Department for Levelling Up says -

"Location: Board meetings are usually held in London and recently have followed a hybrid model, with some attendees being present in person and others joining remotely. In future they may also take place outside London depending on wider circumstances."

Honestly. They may as well say "Outside London Here Be Dragons".

If they're serious about levelling up, basing people in the places that need levelling up might be a start, you'd have thought.

The last thing regions whose economies are already 70% government spending need is more government. They need larger, flourishing private sectors, not public spending crowding out free enterprise.
    Not true though.

The UK government had historically put fuck all R&D or infrastructure spending into the regions…and private sector investment correlates very well with public.

What *is* true is that outside the SE (and Scotland), the regions are effectively subsidised welfare colonies.
    I agree with your last sentence, and I'm happy with more nationwide infrastructure spending.

But moving the Dept of Leveling Up meetings there isn't exactly building a new railway.

The way to level up is through low taxes, light regulation and good infrastructure. That will bring prosperity to our poorer regions. Yet more welfare spending and yet more empty gestures won't.
    We already have (give it or take) low taxes and light regulation. We’ve had it for 40 years. World beating even.

That’s why it’s so farcical that Rishi has suggested that it’s how he’s going restore prosperity.

What we haven’t done is pursue any kind of industrial / regional policy.
    We don't have low taxes, or light regulation. We're in the top 20% of countries by tax take (see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_to_GDP_ratio), and that was before Rishi's latest grab.

Nor do we have light regulation - ours is significantly worse than Germany, the US, Australia or Sweden (though better than France or Italy) - at least according to the World Bank: https://tcdata360.worldbank.org/indicators/govt.regu?indicator=689&viz=line_chart&years=2007,2017. Our planning laws are a disgrace and our tax code is ridiculous. Those are where any decent industrial or productivity policy would start.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927
    dixiedean said:

Just pointing out there is a brand new stadium due to open in Liverpool in 2024.

Exactly, why use stadiums that are well past their sell by date like Old Trafford and Anfield when we have so many great modern facilities.
  • Options

UK R

Deaths will probably start going up soon. The noise from iSage will rise in volume.
    Already on it:

Prof. Christina Pagel 🇺🇦
    @chrischirp
    Was on
    @SkyNewsBreak
    earlier discussing the latest Covid wave - talked about what these regular large waves might mean and that we need to discuss it.

And also emphasised that I have *not* thrown away my (FFP2) masks! 1/4

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1506282845572145168
  • Options

Leon said:

UK R

People stop drinking at some point?
  • Options

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

;)

How many stadiums are we aiming for here? I understand the desire to spread them out, but I could imagine cost/organisation being a factor.
    I'm guessing 12 as that was standard for 32-team World Cups.
  • Options

i believe the Ukrainians post it daily on twitter.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2022
    MaxPB said:

My old Renault always used to do that on its own..
  • Options
    edited March 2022

UK R

Already on it:

Prof. Christina Pagel 🇺🇦
    @chrischirp
    Was on
    @SkyNewsBreak
    earlier discussing the latest Covid wave - talked about what these regular large waves might mean and that we need to discuss it.

And also emphasised that I have *not* thrown away my (FFP2) masks! 1/4

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1506282845572145168
    Only FFP2 mask....I wonder have thought have been rocking the double FFP3 at very least.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

UK R

People stop drinking at some point?
    PB is very broad church.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,618
    Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Having a birthday break. At the risk of going all @Leon on you, this is the view from our room. 19 degrees (!) when we left this morning.

BTW Gove's department is looking for a non-executive director. The Department for Levelling Up says -

"Location: Board meetings are usually held in London and recently have followed a hybrid model, with some attendees being present in person and others joining remotely. In future they may also take place outside London depending on wider circumstances."

If they're serious about levelling up, basing people in the places that need levelling up might be a start, you'd have thought.

Quite. Especially given that where you live in the Lake District is about central in the UK. Which is the DLUHC remit (slightly surprisingly as the HC bit is very definitely devolved in Scotland, Wales, and NI, and the financial and regional policy bit also come to think of it).
    Am encouraging husband to apply as they say they want someone expert in housing, planning and local government, which he is. Also someone who can challenge. Apparently-

"The ability to challenge received wisdom, by scrutinising advice and decision making, is the single most important attribute for any candidate".

I'll believe that when I see it, especially with this government.

The head of the interview panel is Sue Gray, whoever she is. I suggested to Himself that he could show the attribute they claim to want by challenging the location of the Board meetings. He laughed.

You won’t be hearing back about the outcome for quite some while, then.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,695

@JackDetsch
    NEW: U.S. has indications that Ukraine is now "able and willing" to take back territory overtaken by the Russian military: senior U.S. defense official

Ukraine's military is now trying to push the Russians out of Izyum, in East Ukraine, and has held Mykolaiv against 🇷🇺 attack.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1506288701076291589

If Johnson gets to visit Kyiv to the sound of euphoric cheers of, "Boris! Boris! God Save The Queen!" before the local elections in May, would that make the odds on the Tories winning the National Equivalent Vote share massive value?
  • Options
    TimT said:

i believe the Ukrainians post it daily on twitter.
    An example of Ukrainian marketing:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOGhKz4XEAAd3y6?format=jpg&name=medium

• Options
    Anecdotally, I am hearing a lot of family, mates extended families, old work colleagues, friends of friends etc etc who are coming down with omicron at moment.

Definitely a bit of wave on at moment.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Eabhal said:

Renault SUV owners are in deep trouble.

Apart from having bought a Renault SUV you mean?
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    BigRich said:

There should be no exceptions. To make the point.
  • Options
    French retailer Leroy Merlin announced that they were expanding in Russia to benefit from other brands pulling out. This was the Ukrainian Defence Ministry's response:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1505872338037923841

LEROY MERLIN became the first company in the world to finance the bombing of its own stores and killing its own employees.

Inhumane, harrowing greed.

• Options
    Pensfold said:

BigRich said:

There should be no exceptions. To make the point.
    Dunno. Baby food is a stretch there.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324

RSC1000 - JSC АvtoVAZ - The company is owned by Lada Auto Holding, in which French Groupe Renault holds a controlling 67.61% stake (In September 2017, Nissan sold its AvtoVAZ stake to Renault for €45 million).

Yep - I just looked it up and saw :smile:
  • Options

Leon said:

UK R

As a matter of interest, I don't know if you answered this and I missed it: How do you sort the council areas in the tables? Mine is usually quite close to the top of the red list but middle third in the blue.
  • Options

French retailer Leroy Merlin announced that they were expanding in Russia to benefit from other brands pulling out. This was the Ukrainian Defence Ministry's response:

LEROY MERLIN became the first company in the world to finance the bombing of its own stores and killing its own employees.

Even as Leroy Merlin’s store in Kyiv was bombed by the Russians, killing an employee

The shamelessness is astounding

Imagine if Marks and Sparks decided to expand trade in Russia even as its Kharkiv branch was shelled, slaughtering a cashier

Goes to show the spinelessness of French media and social media as well. No british company doing this would survive the outrage
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Yep - I just looked it up and saw :smile:
    In fairness, with globalisation trying to keep up with who owns who is a full time job. Pretty much every week I find out some brand is actually now owned by somebody I didn't realise.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Cyclefree said:

The last thing regions whose economies are already 70% government spending need is more government. They need larger, flourishing private sectors, not public spending crowding out free enterprise.
    Not true though.

The UK government had historically put fuck all R&D or infrastructure spending into the regions…and private sector investment correlates very well with public.

What *is* true is that outside the SE (and Scotland), the regions are effectively subsidised welfare colonies.
    I agree with your last sentence, and I'm happy with more nationwide infrastructure spending.

But moving the Dept of Leveling Up meetings there isn't exactly building a new railway.

The way to level up is through low taxes, light regulation and good infrastructure. That will bring prosperity to our poorer regions. Yet more welfare spending and yet more empty gestures won't.
    We already have (give it or take) low taxes and light regulation. We’ve had it for 40 years. World beating even.

That’s why it’s so farcical that Rishi has suggested that it’s how he’s going restore prosperity.

What we haven’t done is pursue any kind of industrial / regional policy.
    We don't have low taxes, or light regulation. We're in the top 20% of countries by tax take (see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_to_GDP_ratio), and that was before Rishi's latest grab.

Nor do we have light regulation - ours is significantly worse than Germany, the US, Australia or Sweden (though better than France or Italy) - at least according to the World Bank: https://tcdata360.worldbank.org/indicators/govt.regu?indicator=689&viz=line_chart&years=2007,2017. Our planning laws are a disgrace and our tax code is ridiculous. Those are where any decent industrial or productivity policy would start.
    I've found the UK to be lower regulation than either France or the US, and on par with Germany (which is much lower regulation than I had expected). I don't have any experience with Italy (thank goodness).
  • Options
    TimT said:
    Not that I needed another reason to not buy bottled water, but good to know.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

WHL is the better stadium, but the transport links are *much* better at the Emirates/Highbury - you have multiple tube lines, great bus services, and even the rail.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Leon said:

UK R

As a matter of interest, I don't know if you answered this and I missed it: How do you sort the council areas in the tables? Mine is usually quite close to the top of the red list but middle third in the blue.
    Sum the values in the columns - bit crude, but there you are.

The absolute case table (red) has to be read with a bit of caution, because the sizes of the LTLA areas vary alot.

R (bleu) is very useful because it shows trends. At the moment, it seems that R is falling in many areas, suggesting that we will soon see the peak of BA.2
  • Options
    Leon said:

Even as Leroy Merlin’s store in Kyiv was bombed by the Russians, killing an employee

Imagine if Marks and Sparks decided to expand trade in Russia even as its Kharkiv branch was shelled, slaughtering a cashier

Goes to show the spinelessness of French media and social media as well. No british company doing this would survive the outrage
    What on earth is going on with France and sanction busting ?
  • Options
    DACOP ping-pong now happening in the Lords.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Anecdotally, I am hearing a lot of family, mates extended families, old work colleagues, friends of friends etc etc who are coming down with omicron at moment.

Definitely a bit of wave on at moment.

Loads of kids at my 9yo's school have had it including my own son. He had a croaky throat on Thursday tested positive on Friday morning. By Sunday morning he was negative and back at school on Monday. Nothing worse than a slight sore throat and a runny nose. He had previously had Delta in the Autumn.

So far my wife and I (triple jabbed and Delta in the Autumn), the 13yo (double Pfizer) and 4yo did not get it. Everyone I have heard of getting it either were an adult who had not had Covid before (but jabbed) or an unvaccinated child. My 86yo father-in-law went out with 6 friends of a similar age for lunch a couple of weeks ago. All except him got Covid in the next few days but none worse than a cold.

So at the moment there are lots of cases but I haven't seen any anecdotal evidence of it translating into serious illness. I also think lots of people aren't bothering to record positive tests so the real cases will be much higher than the official figures.
  • Options

Leon said:

French foreign policy has long been transactional and financially oriented - why are you surprised?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

French foreign policy has long been transactional and financially oriented - why are you surprised?
    Yeah but they impounded a yacht, so its all ok....back to complaining about the British sanctions all being too lax...

Oligarch says he ditched mansions before sanctions
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60825983
  • Options

Leon said:

So much for EU solidarity
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Leon said:

It is bizarre as well because one of the key things Macron was supposed to use to his advantage was the closeness of Le Pen / Zemmour with Putin. The actions of French companies undercuts that message.

One slight point to note though - historically, France had very close business and finance links with Russia, at least pre-WW1. Russia has always been seen as a land of opportunity (though obviously less than 100+ years ago)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Latest Bad Law Project legal action...

Boris Johnson gets details of vital government business sent to him via WhatsApp, court papers have revealed.

The material, from the PM's ministerial "red box", is sent to his phone for "administrative ease", officials say, and does not break the rules.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60837166
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,694
    kle4 said:

Is this a Russian bot seeking to divide Britain?

The bots have to find some real idiots to mimic.
    She forgot to explain it wasn’t the British government illegally imprisoning her, but the Iranians holding her as hostage as leverage for payment in a business venture they felt they were due - like something straight out 1001 and 1 nights!

Following on from other day, I’m still more than happy to say this wasn’t a legitimate debt, a debt with a previous government over thrown by terrorist means? You calling that a legitimate debt with the new regimes as bad as this one? Are you calling the US wrong for saying UK dumbass for paying hostage demands, bunging the bad boys the money that only makes them worse?

If you are saying we definitely need Iranian oil deals, I’ve yet to be convinced. Thinking this crisis forward, we would rather buy post Putin Russian oil than Iranian would we not? Say, like Mandela was released and formed government, Navalny was released post Putin, and with Solidarnost and Yashin formed government, we would be mad to have a Cold War with them? mad not to flood them with business and wealth to make them a success? we need to think ahead and keep our options open, not tie ourselves down too much in this moment?
  • Options
    Leon said:

If enough western companies continue to do business in Russia then the sanctions will fail. It’s as simple as that

So any company still in Russia is complicit in Russia remaining in the Ukraine, slaughtering people, and possibly winning the war

That's not quite true.

The sanctions prohibit the export of goods to Russia, they do not prohibit the subsidiaries of Western firms from operating in Russia.

And that is true of UK, Swiss, EU and US sanctions.

However, most subsidiaries - like P&G - are selling imported goods. They therefore might as well close down most of their operations in Russia, as they will have very little to sell.

Any Russian manufacturing that is dependent on the import of components - unless those components are solely sourceable from China - will therefore grind to a halt once once inventories are exhausted.

The biggest component issues that Russia will face will be of complex electronics. The question - really - is the willingness of the Chinese to renege on contractual obligations and sell, for example, ARM based chips to Russian clients. How the Chinese government sways on this will tell us an awful lot.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

That's not quite true.

The sanctions prohibit the export of goods to Russia, they do not prohibit the subsidiaries of Western firms from operating in Russia.

However, most subsidiaries - like P&G - are selling imported goods. They therefore might as well close down most of their operations in Russia, as they will have very little to sell.

Any Russian manufacturing that is dependent on the import of components - unless those components are solely sourceable from China - will therefore grind to a halt once once inventories are exhausted.

The biggest component issues that Russia will face will be of complex electronics. The question - really - is the willingness of the Chinese to renege on contractual obligations and sell, for example, ARM based chips to Russian clients. How the Chinese government sways on this will tell us an awful lot.
    Question I asked down thread.....do the likes of Renault rely on ARM based chips for production? I would guess they are used for the info-tainment system at the very least.
  • Options

Leon said:

To make it worse it seems like this was all coordinated and authorised by Macron. According to the Italian press, he gave a green light to big French multinationals

Fuck the French. And they dare to lecture us about some silly speech!

At least now we have an explanation for Macron’s loooooong phone calls with Putin. They were discussing the new sites for French supermarkets, replacing IKEA

• Options
    edited March 2022
    MrEd said:
    They will be sending armour plated Ladas to the front line....to be honest their tanks are so crap against Western weapons, they might as well be a Lada.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

That's not quite true.

Question I asked down thread.....do the likes of Renault rely on ARM based chips for production? I would guess they are used for the info-tainment system at the very least.
    I would be staggered if there weren't ARM powered components (of some kind) in pretty much every production motor vehicle.

• Options

Leon said:

Ha! UK has a government weaponising the war, weaponising the horror we are seeing and feeling to boost their parties poll ratings! Surely you agree that is just as disgusting?

“"And it's an absolutely incredible fact - and it's true - at a time when Russia is being led by a president who is capable of bullying and threats who's plainly capable of making dangerous and irrational decisions, we have a Labour Party whose shadow cabinet is stuffed with people who only recently voted to abolish the UK's independent nuclear deterrent. That's right. Eight of them.
    "Do we want them in charge, my friends, at this moment? Do we want them running up the white flag? Do you see them standing up to Putin's blackmail?"

If that’s not taking the horror we see coming out of Ukraine, and weaponising that horror to boost his own and his party’s electoral ratings, right now, in the midst of this horror and international crisis, then what is?

Maybe a couple of years after the end, learning from experience, at height of a rally in a election campaign can make such points. But right now, with supermarkets targeted and blown up in front of us? Really?

🤮
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Hungary also firmly against sanctioning Russian energy exports and all Polish ideas on NFZs and other military assistance to Ukraine.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2022
    A grim picture painted by the Greek consul who recently managed to escape from Mariupol. The Russian strategy seems to be completely destroy it as a working or viable city, even if all the buildings aren't destroyed.

"When I saw the buildings of Mariupolis burning and collapsing, I said they will rebuild them in the future. When I saw the sunken ships in the port, I thought they would be able to relaunch them at some point, and new they could sail in the Azofic and the Black Sea. But when I saw yesterday the beastly and "weightless" industrial factory Azovstal collapsing, something else caught me. This workshop, like the port, was city life. There were around 40,000 workers in the workplace - some would say the working class - and it has been operating continually since the 1930s. A few years ago, investments of 6 billion were announced. for expansion and environmental improvements.

Mariupol is no more. I hope that at least the original ordinance of Catherine the Great, which was in the city museum, has been saved, and with which the reconstruction of the Greeks of Crimea in the region became. At least to remind us that once there was a city. "

• Options

A grim picture painted by the greek consul who managed to escape from Mariupol. The Russian strategy seems to be completely destroy it as a working or viable city, even if all the buildings aren't destroyed.

"When I saw the buildings of Mariupolis burning and collapsing, I said they will rebuild them in the future. When I saw the sunken ships in the port, I thought they would be able to hang them at some point, and new they could sail in the Azofic and the Black Sea. But when I saw yesterday the beastly and "weightless" industrial factory Azovstal collapsing, something else caught me. This workshop, like the port, was city life. There were around 40,000 workers in the workplace - some would say from the working class - and it has been operating continually since the 1930s. A few years ago, investments of 6 billion were announced. for expansion and environmental improvements.

Mariupol is no more. I hope that at least the original ordinance of Catherine the Great, which was in the city museum, has been saved, and with which the reconstruction of the Greeks of Crimea in the region became. At least to remind us that once there was a city. "

The other day on Sky News, their independent military bloke used the figure of 80% of residential areas had been badly damaged or destroyed.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Leon said:

It is bizarre as well because one of the key things Macron was supposed to use to his advantage was the closeness of Le Pen / Zemmour with Putin. The actions of French companies undercuts that message.

One slight point to note though - historically, France had very close business and finance links with Russia, at least pre-WW1. Russia has always been seen as a land of opportunity (though obviously less than 100+ years ago)
    I am sure I read somewhere, at some point in history the main language spoken in Petersburg was French.
This discussion has been closed.