Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The French election looking even more likely to be a 2017 re-run – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,992

Nigelb said:

Same old...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1506239276094165002
    NEW: Damning report by HMIC into corruption in Met Police finds the force is "not fit for purpose".

- Cash, jewellery, drugs regularly 'go missing'. Access code for one store was scribbled on the door

- Over 100 new recruits have previous convictions for crimes including theft

Over 200 warrant cards missing, too.

Seems odd. A crime and policing commisioner in Wiltshire was disbarred after election because of a traffic offence, yet the Met employs people with convictions for theft?
    Wrong kind of chap - not actually a policeman.

If he had been a policeman, he would have gone sick for stress and retried. Then become PCC in another part of the country the next week, since his retirement would have shut down the enquiry.
    Do we know if PCCs continue to have a future?

I'm beginning seriously to think of them as a large part of current problems with the police.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,892
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

If anything the last few weeks have shown that it really doesn't matter how contemptible your politicians are when the country they are leading still holds such political and military power. Sad but true.

Maybe

The PM would have been invited to the EU summit on Thursday if BoZo wasn't such a dick.

Maybe that matters. Maybe not.
    I don’t get the concern over this one. We’re not in the EU so why would we want to bother with their summit? Nothing of military consequence in Europe can be discussed without us in the room, so this just makes the NATO meeting more important, which is surely what we want?
    I could believe Cummings advising Johnson to make this comment precisely for the reason of not being invited to the EU Council. It would be impossible for Johnson to refuse the invitation, but he surely doesn't want the EU to be the forum for making these decisions.

That's why instead Britain has put effort into bilateral and multilateral relationships outside the EU, like the UK-Poland-Ukraine agreement.

I could see Johnson agreeing to a US/UK/EU format of talks, where the EU is one party out of three, but going along to the EU Council where the UK and US will be two voices among thirty - that's not the format Johnson would want.

Very short-sighted of the EU to allow themselves to be riled by Johnson in this way.
    Problem with this analysis is that the EUCO is precisely the meeting where the decision will be made, ie the common position between the EU and the US. This then gets rolled out to the NATO and G7 meetings but no-one is likely to diverge much from that position.

It doesn't make the UK completely irrelevant. It's a significant player in the G7 and as you say it's working on the bilaterals. NATO appears to have excluded itself from involvement this conflict but no doubt there are discussions going on about a subset of countries providing security guarantees to Ukraine and the security implications of that for NATO.

I agree the EU should have invited the UK for reasons of protocol even though it doesn't make much difference in practice.
    I'm not really convinced by this argument.

The EU has about 5 opinions not 1, held by different groups of countries, and that is what is needed to be managed. That won't happen in a US / European Council meeting.

If there is to be an intervention of a sort in Ukraine, it will be decided by NATO - as EuCo (Commission not Council) has no means to intervene, and nobody would trust their personnel to it in a risk situation. EuCo will have a roll, but not that one.

Though I can see EuCo trying to grab a role in NATO for itself in the next year or two, as that is a normal process for the Brussels bureaucracy.
    It's mainly on sanctions, aid including military aid and coordinated diplomatic activity. NATO is not getting involved in the Ukraine dispute but there will be likely an ad-hoc group of countries providing security guarantees to the Ukraine. I am guessing the UK will be part of that group.

The EU is key because they are a major part of the sanctions and aid regime. Also the EU's organisational USP is in herding the European cats to come to a consensus. The US doesn't want to do that themselves so they outsource the cat herding to the EU
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,971
    FF43 said:

Taz said:

I see #sendherback is trending on twitter. Seems to be prevalent in a particular dank little corner of my own polity, nice teeth and cared for nails seem to be great triggers of rage for these people.

How unpleasant. Twitter really can be a cesspit.

I also notice #ungratefulcow is trending !!!!
    She's entitled to her view, and I imagine she feels rather strongly about the whole thing. I hope the MP's investigation is of some use. We thrashed around on here about why it only happened now, and its surely because the money was paid. We disagree to what extent if any Johnson's foolish words played a role, but at heart she was a hostage, in the same way that Terry Waite was all those years ago (different country, and not perhaps an exact comparison).
    Talking of Terry Waite.

In Oliver North's autobiography he talked about the American hostages. One of them came out, pretty much praising his captors, and damning America. North said that some people talked about Stockholm syndrome and the like, but he thought that was rubbish. The man had been quite anti-US government when he was taken hostage and had simply remained so.

The hostages in Beirut were being held by allies of the Iranian government incidentally, and their release was at the behest of the Iranian government.

And yes, Col. North's involvement was exactly about Iran-Contra..
    Terry Waite was sent to negotiate the release of hostages and was taken hostage himself. I seem to recall one of the hostages saying how unbearable Waite was as a fellow captive. Which seems ungrateful but I suppose if you spend months chained to same radiator ...
    For some reason... "The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,380
    Reuters: French automaker Renault resumes production in Moscow.

On March 22, the company decided to resume operations in the country. Renault is the majority owner of AvtoVaz, Russia’s largest car manufacturer famous for the Lada brand.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1506215422185648129?s=20&t=RusMOrgYGS2V05UdNQs4mw
  • Options

Guterres : " From my outreach with various actors, elements of diplomatic progress are coming into view on several key issues.

There is enough on the table to seize hostilities and seriously negotiate now. "

I am wondering at what point people will start popping up demanding that Ukraine is *sensible* and "meets Putin half-way". And that further support is made contingent on such "sensible" behaviour.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited March 2022
    Not sure if this link has been posted yet. Sanctions mean that Russia's tank factory has had to cease production for lack of components:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1506113379118764033

PS Love this tweet down thread from the posted story:

Replying to
    @nexta_tv
    I know of a good source for more tank parts -
    Call:
    1(800)UKR-FARM
    if busy, try -
    1(888)FCK-PUTN
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,613
    TimT said:

Not sure if this link has been posted yet. Sanctions mean that Russia's tank factory has had to cease production for lack of components:

Replying to
    @nexta_tv
    Call:
    1(800)UKR-FARM
    if busy, try -
    1(888)FCK-PUTN

Or, for a contrary view:

https://unherd.com/2022/03/sanctioning-russia-could-topple-the-west/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=4784fad75d&mc_eid=836634e34b
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    Is this a Russian bot seeking to divide Britain?

• Options
    TimT said:

Replying to
    @nexta_tv
    Call:
    1(800)UKR-FARM
    if busy, try -
    1(888)FCK-PUTN

Given all the pictures of ancient T72s with missing ERA, I'm not sure that current tank production is really a thing in Russia.

Still, every little helps.....
  • Options
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Same old...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1506239276094165002
    NEW: Damning report by HMIC into corruption in Met Police finds the force is "not fit for purpose".

- Cash, jewellery, drugs regularly 'go missing'. Access code for one store was scribbled on the door

- Over 100 new recruits have previous convictions for crimes including theft

Over 200 warrant cards missing, too.

Seems odd. A crime and policing commisioner in Wiltshire was disbarred after election because of a traffic offence, yet the Met employs people with convictions for theft?
    Wrong kind of chap - not actually a policeman.

If he had been a policeman, he would have gone sick for stress and retried. Then become PCC in another part of the country the next week, since his retirement would have shut down the enquiry.
    Do we know if PCCs continue to have a future?

I'm beginning seriously to think of them as a large part of current problems with the police.
    The original idea was have civilian oversight of the police at a lower level than the Home Office. The police got the proposals watered down and system captured the positions.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TimT said:

Replying to
    @nexta_tv
    Call:
    1(800)UKR-FARM
    if busy, try -
    1(888)FCK-PUTN

Or, for a contrary view:

https://unherd.com/2022/03/sanctioning-russia-could-topple-the-west/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=4784fad75d&mc_eid=836634e34b
    The counter arguments (of which I find this one of the least convincing) need to be heard and considered. But much of what this article fears as a result of the sanctions had already started happening before sanctions and would have continued even had there been no sanctions. So, overall, not too impressed with it.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,158
    Leon said:

On March 22, the company decided to resume operations in the country. Renault is the majority owner of AvtoVaz, Russia’s largest car manufacturer famous for the Lada brand.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1506215422185648129?s=20&t=RusMOrgYGS2V05UdNQs4mw

How the FUCK does Renault think this is acceptable?

All of the West is making big sacrifices to put pressure on Russia, but Renault just says, Nah, fuck it, we're not joining in, we make too much profit in Russia

They must have some excuse which we have not seen? If not, I hope the reputational damage drives them bankrupt
    Reuters report that they "have the backing of the French government" [a major shareholder] to resume production. That sounds...extraordinary.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,282
    edited March 2022
    Have we done this? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/22/uk-and-republic-of-ireland-in-line-to-host-euro-2028-after-no-one-else-bids

Would be absolutely fantastic news. It's likely to be 32 teams so we'll need a lot of stadiums in great cities. Here's my recommendations:

• Wembley, London
    • White Hart Lane, London
    • Old Trafford, Manchester
    • Parkhead, Glasgow (preferred to Hampden, better stadium)
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • City Ground (extended), Nottingham
    • St James' Park, Newcastle
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Bramhall Lane, Sheffield (preferred to Hillsborough as closer to city centre?)
    • Falmer, Brighton (maybe)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,865
    Renault is part owned by the French government. So this is a French government decision as much as a Renault decision

Really, all that fucking bloviating over a few misjudged remarks by Boris, and here is the fucking French government just casually undermining the anti-Putin sanctions regime, for profit

GRRRR
  • Options
    "Renault's board has decided to keep its presence intact in Russia for the time being, while complying with international sanctions and with the backing of its main shareholder, the French state, two sources close to the matter told Reuters."

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/renault-resumes-production-moscow-plant
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Guterres : " From my outreach with various actors, elements of diplomatic progress are coming into view on several key issues.

There is enough on the table to seize hostilities and seriously negotiate now. "

Hoping he means cease hostilities.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,167
    Reading through this thread instead of updating my instructions to my family 'IF', as I promised my wife, I think my decision to avoid Twitter was totally justified.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,255

Have we done this? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/22/uk-and-republic-of-ireland-in-line-to-host-euro-2028-after-no-one-else-bids

Would be absolutely fantastic news. It's likely to be 32 teams so we'll need a lot of stadiums in great cities. Here's my recommendations:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Bramhall Lane, Sheffield (preferred to Hillsborough as closer to city centre?)

Yes this would be good.

What about Vicarage Road?

👍
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Alright February borrowing figures but holy moly a downwards revision of 12bn (almost 10%) of borrowing in the year to date, and which means borrowing in this financial year is about what we borrowed in GDP terms in 2011 or 2012.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Renault is part owned by the French government. So this is a French government decision as much as a Renault decision

Really, all that fucking bloviating over a few misjudged remarks by Boris, and here is the fucking French government just casually undermining the anti-Putin sanctions regime, for profit

GRRRR

I have heard an interesting rumour - that further sanctions by the US and UK are being considered. That would directly go after oil and gas purchases from Russia. As in any bank handling the transactions.... which would directly fuck with any country buying from Russia.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

All of the West is making big sacrifices to put pressure on Russia, but Renault just says, Nah, fuck it, we're not joining in, we make too much profit in Russia

They must have some excuse which we have not seen? If not, I hope the reputational damage drives them bankrupt
    Reuters report that they "have the backing of the French government" [a major shareholder] to resume production. That sounds...extraordinary.
    I've read one tweet which says Renault makes a huge chunk of its profits in Russia, and that is what is behind this move. No idea if that is true, however, tho it would explain it

I agree it is extraordinary. Shameless c*nts

• Options

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Yes this would be good.

👍
    What? No Home Park?
  • Options

Leon said:

GRRRR

I have heard an interesting rumour - that further sanctions by the US and UK are being considered. That would directly go after oil and gas purchases from Russia. As in any bank handling the transactions.... which would directly fuck with any country buying from Russia.
    About three weeks too late if so. But JFDI.

Can't see France, Germany, Italy getting much of the work to rebuild Ukraine once this is all over.
  • Options

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Yes this would be good.

👍
    Well located – but is it a bit small, unless extensions are planned?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

You forgot the London Stadium.
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

I've read one tweet which says Renault makes a huge chunk of its profits in Russia, and that is what is behind this move. No idea if that is true, however, tho it would explain it

During the later stages of the Yugoslav wars, it was discovered that French Intelligence was giving data on NATO recon over flights to the Serbs - as a quid pro quo for leaving French assets alone.

When discovered, they were somewhat shocked by the naivety of people thinking that others people secrets weren't a commodity.

Mind you they (French Intelligence), so the story goes, were somewhat surprised to find that the Americans had known and used an unusually humorous response to it. They had swapped some data in the databases round, so the French were actually leaking the details of French recon flights, not the American ones.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

They own 15%. 60%+ is free float.

“Renault's exposure to Russia remains the highest in Fitch's portfolio of European auto and auto-supplier issuers. Fitch estimates that Renault generated 10% of its revenue and around 12% of its operating margin in Russia in 2021.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2022/03/08/renault-shares-pummelled-again-as-russian-operation-threatens-recovery-plan/?sh=735bc77b5d1d

Does this mean that Renault will be subject to sanctions? *sucks teeth*
  • Options

Leon said:

GRRRR

Can't see France, Germany, Italy getting much of the work to rebuild Ukraine once this is all over.
    I have strong doubts it is going to happen - it would be a massive breach between the UK, US and the countries dependent on Russian gas/oil.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,307

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anti-Woke Culture Wars are working in the USA

Ramp them up over here, Boris

“Democrats working to save their slim majority in the House in November’s elections have been sounding alarm bells lately over research showing that Republican attacks on culture-war issues are working, particularly with center-left, Hispanic and independent voters.”

NYT ($$)

You are actually calling more more culture warring now?

FFS. Get a life.
    No, I am calling for "more culture war" as a way of trolling lefties and getting them angry, so as to distract them from more important things, like the actual culture war

I want a meta-culture war. Duh
    The 'duh' must be fair then, as I now have no idea what you are talking about whatsoever!
    @Leon sometimes argues at a level of abstraction inaccessible to mere mortals.
    IOW, he's incomprehensible.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,740
    edited March 2022

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

I think ROI probably deserve another stadium. Cork or Galway, perhaps?

Also, Villa Park. You can’t leave out Britains second city…
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Taz said:

I see #sendherback is trending on twitter. Seems to be prevalent in a particular dank little corner of my own polity, nice teeth and cared for nails seem to be great triggers of rage for these people.

She's entitled to her view, and I imagine she feels rather strongly about the whole thing. I hope the MP's investigation is of some use. We thrashed around on here about why it only happened now, and its surely because the money was paid. We disagree to what extent if any Johnson's foolish words played a role, but at heart she was a hostage, in the same way that Terry Waite was all those years ago (different country, and not perhaps an exact comparison).
    Talking of Terry Waite.

In Oliver North's autobiography he talked about the American hostages. One of them came out, pretty much praising his captors, and damning America. North said that some people talked about Stockholm syndrome and the like, but he thought that was rubbish. The man had been quite anti-US government when he was taken hostage and had simply remained so.

The hostages in Beirut were being held by allies of the Iranian government incidentally, and their release was at the behest of the Iranian government.

Terry Waite was sent to negotiate the release of hostages and was taken hostage himself. I seem to recall one of the hostages saying how unbearable Waite was as a fellow captive. Which seems ungrateful but I suppose if you spend months chained to same radiator ...
    There's only so much "C'mon everybody! Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya...." you can take without going the full tonto...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,605
    Virtue signalling by association (but also some may find this interesting): some friends of mine have offered an entire house which they just happen to have spare to a family of Ukrainian refugees. Not typical refugee territory: this is a huge house among other huge houses on the leafy fringes of southern GM. Driven partly by a feeling of wanting to do something useful (and partly, I must admit, by shame in that she has done something so big; and by the opportunity to feel virtuous about myself) I'm going to be spending collecting pledges of furniture in a van and busying myself with screwdriver and alan keys. Rather looking forward to having a minor part to play in all this.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“Democrats working to save their slim majority in the House in November’s elections have been sounding alarm bells lately over research showing that Republican attacks on culture-war issues are working, particularly with center-left, Hispanic and independent voters.”

NYT ($$)

FFS. Get a life.
    No, I am calling for "more culture war" as a way of trolling lefties and getting them angry, so as to distract them from more important things, like the actual culture war

The 'duh' must be fair then, as I now have no idea what you are talking about whatsoever!
    On one reading, he means he wants a culture war about culture wars. Which is, in an important sense, not just more culture war, statue defending, etc. It is a culture war about statue defending/bothering, but not incorporating them. Not sure it makes sense to me either ...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,255

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Yes this would be good.

👍
    Well located – but is it a bit small, unless extensions are planned?
    We probably won't need the extension if we are in League 1 by then 😡
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,474
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

FFS. Get a life.

As private parts to the Gods are we, they play with us for their sport.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MattW said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

They own 15%. 60%+ is free float.

“Renault's exposure to Russia remains the highest in Fitch's portfolio of European auto and auto-supplier issuers. Fitch estimates that Renault generated 10% of its revenue and around 12% of its operating margin in Russia in 2021.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2022/03/08/renault-shares-pummelled-again-as-russian-operation-threatens-recovery-plan/?sh=735bc77b5d1d

Does this mean that Renault will be subject to sanctions? *sucks teeth*
    Surprised Scotty wasn't on this like a fly on shit...NOT!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,167

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

What about Riverside, Middlesborough. Seem to recall some really good games there in past World or whatever cups.
    And/or The Stadium of Light, Sunderland? The Etihad, Manchester?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

How will they get parts in ? Their supply base will be extended and some goods will come in from Europe.
  • Options
    'Also, Villa Park. You can’t leave out Britains second city… '

Agreed. The locals deserve to see some decent footy for a change.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

FFS. Get a life.

Like flies to wanton boys, shirley...
  • Options
    Never again shall we allow ourselves to be lectured by Macron or the EU or FBPEers on Ukraine.

Perhaps Carl bildt and the ex Finnish PM could give us their opinion on Renault simply ignoring sanctions. For the pursuit of profit
  • Options
    Taz said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

How will they get parts in ? Their supply base will be extended and some goods will come in from Europe.
    At a guess , this is not about actually re-starting production. More about the stuff coming from Moscow about appropriating the companies/investments of those shutting down to take part in sanctions. So they may well be unable to do much, but can tell Putin & Co. "We tried".....
  • Options
    Scottish not British news.

'War in Ukraine: Scottish firms still operating in Russia'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-60820611

Wood whose boss was such a doughty defender of the Union in 2014, say they only have a small team still operating in Russia. 200 doesn't sound that small to me.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Taz said:

Talking of Terry Waite.

There's only so much "C'mon everybody! Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya...." you can take without going the full tonto...
    NSR has been in conversation with TW since she has returned - was mentioned at the Press Conference.

Large number of journos asking her political questions at the conference , after the intro said specifically that she would not take them.

Very good at saying "eff off, please", politely.
  • Options
    ping said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

Stupid mistake by me! Now added...

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,395
    edited March 2022

Renault was appropriated by CDG's French government on 1 Jan 1945 because they had collaborated with the Nazis.

Why is the French government allowing them to collaborate with Putin today?

I've been out in town spraying Zs on all the Renaults.

I see a few others have finally woken up to it.
  • Options
    @Ping This stadium in Cork holds 45,000! Let's add that and hope the GAA agree!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Páirc_Uí_Chaoimh

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    • Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cork
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,687

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Would you not use the Aviva in Dublin?

Don't think you can use Old Trafford unless it's rebuilt in the interim.
  • Options

Leon said:

GRRRR

I have strong doubts it is going to happen - it would be a massive breach between the UK, US and the countries dependent on Russian gas/oil.
    Has not Germany already signed at least one deal with Qatar for either oil or gas? It's a start...

I see lots of work accelerating on Pocket Nuclear Power in DE.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Just arrived in a very spring like Cambridge for a Baltic event here.

I came from Tallinn via Warsaw over the weekend and the situation in Poland is quite a bit different from that I had imagined. Firstly there are Ukrainians EVERYWHERE in Warsaw. There are quite a few Ukrainian flags in Tallinn, but in Warsaw they can be seen in every context from car flags to paint designs. Almost everyone is wearing a gold and blue ribbon. Of course there are quite a few Ukrainian registered cars in Warsaw too, hardly a surprise since there are now nearly 3 million Ukrainians in Poland. The news is 100% wall-to-wall on Ukraine, there is almost literally nothing else. The Poles are very emotional about it. I was there when the concert with the little Ukrainian girl was broadcast and I am not sure, but the viewing figures must have been enormous. The pictures of Kharkiv and Mariupol carry a deep and intense resonance for Varsovians in particular. The Poles are angry and not a little scared, but most of all they are contemptuous: "What else can you expect from such barbarians?". Russia, is now hated and despised.The precipitate collapse of the Russian economy has made Poland suggest that it should now take the place of Russia in the G-20, since on several measures it now has a larger economy that the Russian Federation.

Coming to London and seeing the rather insipid displays of support for the beleagured Ukrainian nation has actually been slightly restful, since the intensity of feeling in Poland is so strong that it is almost difficult to take. The calm and phlegmatic Estonians doubtless feel just as stongly, but they are more diffident about showing intense feelings.

The NATO defence planning for the Baltic, despite the poor preformance of the Russian forces has unquestionably been taken to a new level. The idea of "trip wire", token forces has now been comprehensively abandonned and there is little doubt at the Estonian level, there will be full reinforcement. Tallinn expects the NATO/Russia basic agreement ot be denounced, and certainly there rotation of Uk troops will not now be made for many months.

We still cannot tell what the outcome of this shocking and barbaric Russian campaign will be, but for as long as the Ukrainians are in the fight, the propsects for Russia are growing dim indeed. There is little doubt that any Belarusian troops sent into Ukraine would either surrender immediately of even defect to the Ukrainian side, so it is hardly surprising the Lukashenka is looking like a man very much caught between two stools. While Russian passive resistence faces appalling repression, the campaign in Belarus is growing.

In the end I think it may be the fate of the Chechens that decides this. Their troops are hated and feared on their own side, so the loss of so many Chechen troops early in the campaign robbed the Russian commanders of a weapon to drive their troops forward. The Loss of Kadyrov would likewise be a very severe blow to Putin.

Invaluable reportage. Thankyou
  • Options

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

What about Riverside, Middlesborough. Seem to recall some really good games there in past World or whatever cups.
    And/or The Stadium of Light, Sunderland? The Etihad, Manchester?
    Stadium of Light is a great stadium, but almost certainly too close to St James' Park which is an absolute certainty because it's in central Newcastle, which is a great city. Middlesbrough isn't a place that will appeal to Uefa.

For Eastlands, see Stadium of Light problem – don't think they'll have two in Greater Manchester or Greater Newcastle.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    edited March 2022

@Ping This stadium in Cork holds 45,000! Let's add that and hope the GAA agree!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Páirc_Uí_Chaoimh

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    • Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cork

You forgot the London Stadium AGAIN! :angry:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Never again shall we allow ourselves to be lectured by Macron or the EU or FBPEers on Ukraine.

Perhaps Carl bildt and the ex Finnish PM could give us their opinion on Renault simply ignoring sanctions. For the pursuit of profit

I understand that Macron believes that the sanctions were only 'quasi-effective' to miscoin a phrase...
  • Options

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

I think White Hart Lane is absolutely certain to get the nod in north/east London, it's probably the best stadium in the world. London Stadium and Nu Highbury to miss out I think.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

FFS. Get a life.

Indeed but I am quoting Melchett from Blackadder :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2022

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

By Landsdowne Road I mean the 'Aviva' – I can't bear to use corporate names. Why no Old Trafford? Eastlands a decent alternative anyway (although significantly smaller).
  • Options

Leon said:

GRRRR

Russia needs a massive nudge towards the negotiating table.
  • Options
    Croke Park is actually the biggest and best stadium in Dublin. That would be great to have instead of Aviva Landsdowne Road.
  • Options

Wood whose boss was such a doughty defender of the Union in 2014, say they only have a small team still operating in Russia. 200 doesn't sound that small to me.

Lol, nae luck. How the hell do you manage to lose money in the grift fest that is the US arms trade?

'The company (John Wood Group) announced in February 2022 that it would make a loss of US$222 million on an anti-missile defence facility for the United States Army Corps of Engineers
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    Leon said:

Still doing that repetition strategy I see. You only need do a few more thousand posts and you will genuinely believe Brexit was not pointless. As Frank Spencer might have put it "Every day in every way I get better and better"
  • Options
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

NYT ($$)

FFS. Get a life.

Indeed but I am quoting Melchett from Blackadder :smiley:
    Ah sorry! Useless at getting these new fangled modern cultural references...
  • Options

Leon said:

Still doing that repetition strategy I see. You only need do a few more thousand posts and you will genuinely believe Brexit was not pointless. As Frank Spencer might have put it "Every day in every way I get better and better"
    Can you show us how a remainer would criticise Renault and France for this?
  • Options

Lol, nae luck. How the hell do you manage to lose money in the grift fest that is the US arms trade?

'The company (John Wood Group) announced in February 2022 that it would make a loss of US$222 million on an anti-missile defence facility for the United States Army Corps of Engineers
    You know what they say about those that talk to themselves.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,326
    Leon said:

Swedish Carl Bildt and Finnish Alexander Stubb (who BTW has a British wife and a PhD from the LSE) have merely noted that the Conservative Party and the Leave campaign were up to their necks in Russian money, which is simply a statement of fact, so not sure what that has to do with Renault.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

GRRRR

Russia needs a massive nudge towards the negotiating table.
    Even if it went through, it would only be an inconvenience in purchasing Russia oil and gas. Though they might have to resort to what Obama did with Iran when he sent them some money they were owed (similar thing to the UK tank deal) - cash was sent. Literally, shrink-wrapped stack of cash on pallets, IIRC.
  • Options

Croke Park is actually the biggest and best stadium in Dublin. That would be great to have instead of Aviva Landsdowne Road.

Croke Park may or may not evoke emotions for events 100-ish (by then) years ago.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Cicero said:

I came from Tallinn via Warsaw over the weekend and the situation in Poland is quite a bit different from that I had imagined. Firstly there are Ukrainians EVERYWHERE in Warsaw. There are quite a few Ukrainian flags in Tallinn, but in Warsaw they can be seen in every context from car flags to paint designs. Almost everyone is wearing a gold and blue ribbon. Of course there are quite a few Ukrainian registered cars in Warsaw too, hardly a surprise since there are now nearly 3 million Ukrainians in Poland. The news is 100% wall-to-wall on Ukraine, there is almost literally nothing else. The Poles are very emotional about it. I was there when the concert with the little Ukrainian girl was broadcast and I am not sure, but the viewing figures must have been enormous. The pictures of Kharkiv and Mariupol carry a deep and intense resonance for Varsovians in particular. The Poles are angry and not a little scared, but most of all they are contemptuous: "What else can you expect from such barbarians?". Russia, is now hated and despised.The precipitate collapse of the Russian economy has made Poland suggest that it should now take the place of Russia in the G-20, since on several measures it now has a larger economy that the Russian Federation.

Coming to London and seeing the rather insipid displays of support for the beleagured Ukrainian nation has actually been slightly restful, since the intensity of feeling in Poland is so strong that it is almost difficult to take. The calm and phlegmatic Estonians doubtless feel just as stongly, but they are more diffident about showing intense feelings.

The NATO defence planning for the Baltic, despite the poor preformance of the Russian forces has unquestionably been taken to a new level. The idea of "trip wire", token forces has now been comprehensively abandonned and there is little doubt at the Estonian level, there will be full reinforcement. Tallinn expects the NATO/Russia basic agreement ot be denounced, and certainly there rotation of Uk troops will not now be made for many months.

We still cannot tell what the outcome of this shocking and barbaric Russian campaign will be, but for as long as the Ukrainians are in the fight, the propsects for Russia are growing dim indeed. There is little doubt that any Belarusian troops sent into Ukraine would either surrender immediately of even defect to the Ukrainian side, so it is hardly surprising the Lukashenka is looking like a man very much caught between two stools. While Russian passive resistence faces appalling repression, the campaign in Belarus is growing.

In the end I think it may be the fate of the Chechens that decides this. Their troops are hated and feared on their own side, so the loss of so many Chechen troops early in the campaign robbed the Russian commanders of a weapon to drive their troops forward. The Loss of Kadyrov would likewise be a very severe blow to Putin.

Thanks for the continuing updates. But take care in Cambridge - the place is heaving with Russian spies you know.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,307
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Not a huge chunk, but they have 40% of the Russian market, so by far the most exposure of car makers.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/deal-putin-leaves-renault-trapped-russia
    ...Russia accounted for about 5 billion euros ($5.5 billion) of Renault's revenue last year, and roughly 315 million euros of operating profit could be at risk, Bloomberg Intelligence estimates. ...

Group revenue was 46bn euros in 2021.

Hyundai, the No2 in the market, has still suspended operations, but are I think still considering whether or not to reopen.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Swedish Carl Bildt and Finnish Alexander Stubb (who BTW has a British wife and a PhD from the LSE) have merely noted that the Conservative Party and the Leave campaign were up to their necks in Russian money, which is simply a statement of fact, so not sure what that has to do with Renault.
    Don't spoil his narrative. He is utilising repetition compulsion to convince himself that Brexit isn't totally pointless. Part of that strategy is to attack any furriners that have the audacity to point out that the Brexit Emperor is a fat lying shit.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Croke Park may or may not evoke emotions for events 100-ish (by then) years ago.
    It was fine when England played Rugby there while the Aviva was being built. It should be okay for Soccer games.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

ping said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    Nailed on:

Wembley
    Old Trafford (assuming it isn't being rebuilt...)
    Aviva (Dublin)
    Principality (Cardiff)
    St James's Park
    Villa Park (hopefully this will be 50,000 by 2028)

And at least one in Scotland. I suspect Hampden would get the nod and then hopefully Murrayfield is also used.

I think it would be fair enough to use another venue in London given it serves a big population. Could Twickenham be an option given it has 20,000 more seats than WHL?

And I wouldn't rule out the Etihad being used and I wouldn't be surprised if the Stadium of Light is used.

Elland Road and Hillsborough need some TLC, but I'd like to see both used. If they rebuild the Leppings Lane End at Hillsborough, they can get that up to 45,000.

East Midlands is tricky. I think Leicester is more likely than Nottingham. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a second tier to some of the ground to make it 40,000+. Same goes for Southampton.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Thanks for the continuing updates. But take care in Cambridge - the place is heaving with Russian spies you know.
    Check for snow on their boots.....

Lieutenant George : Smithy, you haven't seen any suspicious characters hanging around have you, who might be German spies?
    Brigadier Smith : Nein.
    Lieutenant George : Nine! Well, the Cap's got his work cut out, then.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,380
    The way the Russians are losing kit in Ukraine, those Ladas will probably have to be repurposed as logistics vehicles.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

The same Conservative party which has, as the UK government, trained and armed the Ukrainians for almost a decade

The fact is the UK has done and is doing and will continue to do more for Ukraine than any other Western European country. As Renault and the French government have just shown
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

The same Conservative party which has, as the UK government, trained and armed the Ukrainians for almost a decade

The fact is the UK has done and is doing and will continue to do more for Ukraine than any other Western European country. As Renault and the French government have just shown
    If you were Russian, Putin would love you. Boris Johnson doesn't even have to completely control the state media to have you parroting his propaganda.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Is this a Russian bot seeking to divide Britain?

The bots have to find some real idiots to mimic.
  • Options

The way the Russians are losing kit in Ukraine, those Ladas will probably have to be repurposed as logistics vehicles.

Do you have a petrol cap for a Lada?
    Seems like a fair exchange to me ...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Wembley (90000) and Lansdowne Road (51700), Millenium (74500) are the certs I think.
    and Hampden Park (51866) is very very likely.
    Windsor Park too (18614) as it's an NI joint bid.

Teams are 24, venues are 10 - so that leaves 5 remaining venues.

Leaves 5

Capacities required are 3 stadia with 30,000+
    2 with 40,000+

Can't see Brighton making the cut.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,934
    Cookie said:

Virtue signalling by association (but also some may find this interesting): some friends of mine have offered an entire house which they just happen to have spare to a family of Ukrainian refugees. Not typical refugee territory: this is a huge house among other huge houses on the leafy fringes of southern GM. Driven partly by a feeling of wanting to do something useful (and partly, I must admit, by shame in that she has done something so big; and by the opportunity to feel virtuous about myself) I'm going to be spending collecting pledges of furniture in a van and busying myself with screwdriver and alan keys. Rather looking forward to having a minor part to play in all this.

Good on you.
    For me personally, it's not virtue signalling when you actually do something good rather than just talking about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

ping said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    Nailed on:

Wembley
    Aviva (Dublin)
    Principality (Cardiff)
    St James's Park

And at least one in Scotland. I suspect Hampden would get the nod and then hopefully Murrayfield is also used.

I think it would be fair enough to use another venue in London given it serves a big population. Could Twickenham be an option given it has 20,000 more seats than WHL?

And I wouldn't rule out the Etihad being used and I wouldn't be surprised if the Stadium of Light is used.

Elland Road and Hillsborough need some TLC, but I'd like to see both used. If they rebuild the Leppings Lane End at Hillsborough, they can get that up to 45,000.

East Midlands is tricky. I think Leicester is more likely than Nottingham. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a second tier to some of the ground to make it 40,000+. Same goes for Southampton.
    The City Ground should have 38,000 seats by then and will be bigger than the King Power. And Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester so I think it might get the nod again (as in 1996) assuming Forest confirm that the redevelopment will be complete by 2028. But it's a close call, as you say.

Re: Stadium of Light, do you think they will have two in Greater Newcastle? As you say St James' Park is a certainty.

Good point about Twickenham, but sure WHL will be in there? London could probably have three as they are all far enough apart from each other?
  • Options

Cicero said:

Check for snow on their boots.....

Lieutenant George : Smithy, you haven't seen any suspicious characters hanging around have you, who might be German spies?
    Brigadier Smith : Nein.
    Lieutenant George : Nine! Well, the Cap's got his work cut out, then.
    Love it :smiley:
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Not a huge chunk, but they have 40% of the Russian market, so by far the most exposure of car makers.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/deal-putin-leaves-renault-trapped-russia
    ...Russia accounted for about 5 billion euros ($5.5 billion) of Renault's revenue last year, and roughly 315 million euros of operating profit could be at risk, Bloomberg Intelligence estimates. ...

Group revenue was 46bn euros in 2021.

Hyundai, the No2 in the market, has still suspended operations, but are I think still considering whether or not to reopen.
    This French company manages to be even more shameless

“Leroy Merlin, which said earlier this month its 112 Russian stores will continue normal operations, came under fire Monday after Ukraine's Ministry of Defense tweeted an image of what appears to be a Leroy Merlin store destroyed by Russian bombing in Ukraine, writing Leroy Merlin "became the first company in the world to finance the bombing of its own stores,” following a Saturday report in the Telegraph that the company largely owned by French billionaire Michel Leclercq was ramping up its Russian business following competitors’ exits.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2022/03/22/leroy-merlin-nokian-tyres-renault-here-are-the-companies-under-fire-for-russian-ties/

Tho at least the French government did not make this decision.

Gob-smacking
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,659
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Yes, it's good to have Cicero's thoughtful, considered, informative and non-hysterical posts on the situation, isn't it Leon?
  • Options

Leon said:

Boris Johnson launches special military operation attacking innocent green car maker.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

ping said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    Nailed on:

Wembley
    Aviva (Dublin)
    Principality (Cardiff)
    St James's Park

The City Ground should have 38,000 seats by then and will be bigger than the King Power. And Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester so I think it will might get the nod again (as in 1996) assuming Forest confirm that the redevelopment will be complete by 2028. But it's a close call, as you say.

Re: Stadium of Light, do you think they will have two in Greater Newcastle? As you say St James' Park is a certainty.

Good point about Twickenham, but sure WHL will be in there? London could probably have three as they are all far enough apart from each other?
    There will be pressure from UKG to make sure there is at least one stadium in every UK nation. So Belfast will get one, likewise Cardiff
  • Options

Leon said:

While you pointedly ignore the bigger issue here..
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,043
    Belarus must be a wildcard at the moment. The strength of opinion against Lukashenka, which seems to be spreading into the ranks of the military, must surely be very dangerous for him because during wars people's inhibitions drop. The fact there is open sabotage of Russian logistics within Belarus suggests they are feeling confident and relatively unafraid.

What happens if there is an attempted street revolution in Belarus, or even a palace coup? Putin surely doesn't have the forces to march into Minsk to restore order. They are already at full stretch next door in Ukraine. Do the dominoes then start falling?

If Belarus goes there is no Crimea or Donbass or Transnistria or South Ossetia to keep Russian involvement going. It's a pretty homogenous Russian speaking state with no mini breakaway regions. It becomes a Taiwan - a threat to the Moscow order. Or Italy once they ditched Mussolini. I think that then becomes a dangerous moment for Putin, and by extension a dangerous moment for the world.

All complete guesswork of course, but I've felt since the start of the invasion that Belarus might play a decisive role one way or the other.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Wembley (90000) and Lansdowne Road (51700), Millenium (74500) are the certs I think.
    and Hampden Park (51866) is very very likely.
    Windsor Park too (18614) as it's an NI joint bid.

Teams are 24, venues are 10 - so that leaves 5 remaining venues.

Leaves 5

Capacities required are 3 stadia with 30,000+
    2 with 40,000+

Can't see Brighton making the cut.
    Nope – teams very likely to be 32 in 2028. The tournament is being expanded.

Windsor Park will have to be rebuilt/extended to satisfy Uefa rules (I have just read). But it surely will be if/when we win the bid. NI will have to have at least one venue as you say.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Indeed - Renault are too busy making dosh in Russia!
  • Options

Leon said:

I am no longer a remainer, because there is no longer the option, any more than you are a "leaver" unless it that applies to the absence of your brain on occasion. If you are asking *me* I will tell you; it is fucking outrageous. That help you? I was commenting on the ridiculous and monotonous regularity that Leon wants to turn anything negative that a continental government government does into a reason for Brexit, because deep down he knows Brexit was fucking pointless. Same reason as Boris Johnson and his ridiculous parallel that he drew the other day.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Yes, it's good to have Cicero's thoughtful, considered, informative and non-hysterical posts on the situation, isn't it Leon?
    @Cicero's posts throw @Leon's into sharp relief. Hysterical panic just isn't the same without a background of calmness....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,687

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

By Landsdowne Road I mean the 'Aviva' – I can't bear to use corporate names. Why no Old Trafford? Eastlands a decent alternative anyway (although significantly smaller).
    Ah, I see. Clear that Dublin doesn't have as many stadiums as I thought.

I also don't like the corporate names, but had missed the history of that one.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,747

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Raydale Park

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-matchday-256-raydale-park.html

or if that's already booked the Emirates is OK

• Options
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

ping said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    Nailed on:

Wembley
    Aviva (Dublin)
    Principality (Cardiff)
    St James's Park

The City Ground should have 38,000 seats by then and will be bigger than the King Power. And Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester so I think it will might get the nod again (as in 1996) assuming Forest confirm that the redevelopment will be complete by 2028. But it's a close call, as you say.

There will be pressure from UKG to make sure there is at least one stadium in every UK nation. So Belfast will get one, likewise Cardiff
    Millennium Stadium is a cert as is (somewhere in) NI – but see my post above, Windsor Park doesn't currently meet Uefa criteria so some work required...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds

Nah, shit atmosphere for football. The two best London venues are WHL and Wembley.
  • Options
    felix said:

Leon said:

While you pointedly ignore the bigger issue here..
    Are you referring to the bigger issue of Renault, or the bigger issue of how much the Russians have infiltrated our political system? I would say the latter is a little larger.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,605

tlg86 said:

ping said:

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham

• Wembley, London
    • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
    • Anfield, Liverpool
    • Millennium, Cardiff
    • Lansdowne Road, Dublin
    • Windsor Park, Belfast
    • Elland Road, Leeds
    • Villa Park, Birmingham
    Nailed on:

Wembley
    Aviva (Dublin)
    Principality (Cardiff)
    St James's Park

The City Ground should have 38,000 seats by then and will be bigger than the King Power. And Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester so I think it might get the nod again (as in 1996) assuming Forest confirm that the redevelopment will be complete by 2028. But it's a close call, as you say.

Anabobz being uncharacteristically uncaring of provincial sensibilities here - *Greater Newcastle*? I can hear the splutters of Mackem indignation from here. And 'Nottingham is a far better city than Leicester'? FWIW I probably agree, but that's a casually lobbed hand grenade if I ever I saw one.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,395
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

I am no longer a remainer, because there is no longer the option, any more than you are a "leaver" unless it that applies to the absence of your brain on occasion. If you are asking *me* I will tell you; it is fucking outrageous. That help you? I was commenting on the ridiculous and monotonous regularity that Leon wants to turn anything negative that a continental government government does into a reason for Brexit, because deep down he knows Brexit was fucking pointless. Same reason as Boris Johnson and his ridiculous parallel that he drew the other day.
    You're such a rude bitch.

Edit - And made sure you attacked me/Brexit/Boris more than Renault/France.

Brava Bitch.
This discussion has been closed.