Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the Shrewsbury MP retain his seat at the next election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,681
    Leon said:

Bugger me. Older daughter has Covid

Hardly a surprise. 1 in 20 in the U.K.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,276
    Leon said:

Dr Finn Mackay Adult Human Queermale, a sociology lecturer at Bristol Uni, and author of ‘Masculinities and the Gender Wars’

How can this NOT be a parody?

"Female Masculinities and the Gender Wars"

Finn Mackay describes herself as a masculine presenting lesbian it seems. I remember seeing her interviewed and being quite interesting.

It gets very good reviews:

Female Masculinities and the Gender Wars: The Politics of Sex https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09D8HPP17/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_M2R7W7B0C57QXP7TYMEG
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,043
    Comic Relief going full on Ukraine at the moment.

Its my favorite charity and I always donate.

Doubling it this year though.

Hope they get a massive amount.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942
    It looks as if we could have a by-election in Ipswich. There are stories that the Conservative victor in 2019 was not eligible to stand as he held a politically restricted post with the local PCC. More work for the lawyers.
  • Options

Just received an accurate diagnosis of the technical issues with the floodlights at the Thorne Colliery FC VS Clay Cross Town football game.

"The electrician says their fucked Pal"

Always nice to get a detailed analysis.

Match postponed.

Ground 350 at steps 1 to 7 as well so am back to 349

You are brave going to Moorends!

Still, I don't suppose there's an army of scallies that turn out to demand money to "look after your car mate" given there's probably only 10 spectators.
    Bumper 100 on the cards tonight winner would have gone top of Central Midlands Premier North
  • Options

Comic Relief going full on Ukraine at the moment.

Its my favorite charity and I always donate.

Doubling it this year though.

Hope they get a massive amount.

I’m a miserable, curmudgeonly old git and cannot stand comic relief or children in need. Great causes. I support a lot of charities all year round. Just can’t stand the moralising luvvies.
    I’m sure it’s different now, but didn’t Wogan get paid every year for children in need? Don’t know why that annoyed me so much but it did.

But yes, this year, I hope they smash all kinds of records, and I’m sure they will. Including my donation.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,119
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Dr Finn Mackay Adult Human Queermale, a sociology lecturer at Bristol Uni, and author of ‘Masculinities and the Gender Wars’

"Female Masculinities and the Gender Wars"

Finn Mackay describes herself as a masculine presenting lesbian it seems. I remember seeing her interviewed and being quite interesting.

It gets very good reviews:

Female Masculinities and the Gender Wars: The Politics of Sex https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09D8HPP17/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_M2R7W7B0C57QXP7TYMEG
    Them’s got 9 reviews. All 5 star.

I’m not sure you entirely understand how academic publishing works
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,276

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:
    Makes a change from the Putin apologists of the right. We used to have one on here, who was an itinerant flint knapper.
    With all due respect, doctor, fuck off

I have never been a "Putin apologist"

Is Putin right about Wokeness? Yes. Is he a fascist thug? Also yes

Hitler was good on cars and motorways; Stalin was a charismatic war leader; Fred West probably laid a fine patio. Life is full of paradoxes
    You're trivializing it with those examples. Putin's reactionary views on social and cultural matters are integral to his politics and world view. It ought to give you - at the very very least - pause for thought that you share them.
    No, it doesn't, Putin is right on this one subject: perhaps it takes a cold-hearted enemy to appraise us correctly.

Putin is also a war-mongering maniac who needs to be taken out

Meanwhile:

Pathetic. Within a minute I could find a dozen photos of the Queen meeting Putin. Does that make her a Putin apologist?

Personally, I'd be much more embarrassed being photographed with Bono than Putin.

At least Putin's evil will die with him; Bono's evil will curse humanity for decades.
    Or Boneo, as we call him in our family.
    The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby! are two of the greatest rock albums of all time.
    You are so lucky. To have so much music that is better than U2 still in your future.

You have an extraordinary journey of discovery ahead of you.
    Please name the bands better than U2.
    Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:
    Makes a change from the Putin apologists of the right. We used to have one on here, who was an itinerant flint knapper.

Hitler was good on cars and motorways; Stalin was a charismatic war leader; Fred West probably laid a fine patio. Life is full of paradoxes
    You're trivializing it with those examples. Putin's reactionary views on social and cultural matters are integral to his politics and world view. It ought to give you - at the very very least - pause for thought that you share them.
    No, it doesn't, Putin is right on this one subject: perhaps it takes a cold-hearted enemy to appraise us correctly.

Meanwhile:

Pathetic. Within a minute I could find a dozen photos of the Queen meeting Putin. Does that make her a Putin apologist?

Personally, I'd be much more embarrassed being photographed with Bono than Putin.

At least Putin's evil will die with him; Bono's evil will curse humanity for decades.
    The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby! are two of the greatest rock albums of all time.
    You are so lucky. To have so much music that is better than U2 still in your future.

Starting at A?
    Assuming you’re thinking of the Average White Band, I’ll accept your A. Anything for B (apart from Bad Company and The Beatles)? Looking at my playlist, I could be on a loser, here!
    Black Sabbath
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,219

dixiedean said:

Just received an accurate diagnosis of the technical issues with the floodlights at the Thorne Colliery FC VS Clay Cross Town football game.

Match postponed.

Didn't know you were a hopper.
    Yeah mate 4 games in a day last Saturday Bacup Borough, Padiham, Nelson and Barnoldswick brilliant day out
    Names which bring back fond memories of watching Horwich RMI after swimming on Saturdays.
    Happy days.
  • Options
    slade said:

It looks as if we could have a by-election in Ipswich. There are stories that the Conservative victor in 2019 was not eligible to stand as he held a politically restricted post with the local PCC. More work for the lawyers.

Is that Tom Hunt?

Should be a nailed on Lab Gain if they are to have any chance at a GE
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,012

Match postponed.

Still, I don't suppose there's an army of scallies that turn out to demand money to "look after your car mate" given there's probably only 10 spectators.
    Bumper 100 on the cards tonight winner would have gone top of Central Midlands Premier North
    Real football too, with no Oligarchs in sight (not even Richard Budge).
  • Options
    slade said:

What?
    And nobody noticed till now?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    boulay said:

I know it’s not a popular idea because of the long term probs it could cause but seeing Chechen troops in Ukraine I honestly wish the west would just drop every jihadist into Chechnya PDQ with arms.

Make those fuckers have to hot-foot it back from Ukraine.

Good idea, if we got the numbers right they would mutually destruct.
  • Options

Leon said:

Hardly a surprise. 1 in 20 in the U.K.
    True
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942

slade said:

Is that Tom Hunt?

Yes it is. However it seems that a local journalist has misread the rules. Surely if he had broken the rules it would have been pointed out at the time by the other parties
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

My annual moan about daylight saving. Why can't we put the clocks forward on the first Sunday in March?

The dates are not symmetrical because of the shape of the Earth's orbit and the axial tilt, combined with our need in the modern world to make each day exactly 24 hours long rather than fudging it by a minute or so here and there.

"The Equation of Time" is the rather grand name for this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time
    Yeah, but it's not that much of a difference. Here are the changes this year:

Sunrise London 26 March 2022: 05:50 (GMT)
    Sunrise London 27 March 2022: 06:47 (BST)

Sunrise London 29 October 2022: 07:49 (BST)
    Sunrise London 29 October 2022: 06:50 (GMT)

So we let sunrise in London get as late as 07:49 on BST before we put it back. But we wait until it's 06:47 at the start of BST.

I suppose there might be an argument for not doing it too early as it might be a safety issue, but would the second Sunday in March really be that bad?

Sunrise London 12 March 2022: 06:22 (GMT)
    Sunrise London 13 March 2022: 07:19 (BST)
    Feck London
    It's on the fringes of the UK. As close to them southwards, actually closer, than Kirkwall is to the border of the UK northwards.

Stupid sods choosing a capital of the UK that is out on a limb. Keswick would be so much more central, or perhaps Oxenholme. Which has a main line railway.
    Chosen at least in part because of its easy access to Europe...
    It’s the lowest place on the Thames where an army can ford. Or so the Romans decided, and they wanted to head north and attack Essex
    Which was then, of course, a, if not the, centre of civilisation in the British Isles.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Well personally I would include Aerosmith as well but they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,777

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Alison Krauss and Union Station. Best for country/blue grass.
    I'll also vote for the Allman Brothers.
  • Options

Match postponed.

Yes step 7 is as low as I count

My team is a step 5 team which is my favorite level. Cheapest Step 5 club in England £3/£1.50 for adults and concessions

So can basically get a senior admission a programme curry and chips and a pint of black sheep and still have change for £10
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,819
    Foxy said:

Starting at A?

Average White Band
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    Shades of Goebbels and the Sportspalast immediately after Stalingrad.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Match postponed.

Didn't know you were a hopper.
    Yeah mate 4 games in a day last Saturday Bacup Borough, Padiham, Nelson and Barnoldswick brilliant day out
    Names which bring back fond memories of watching Horwich RMI after swimming on Saturdays.
    Happy days.
    Bacup Borough is the most picturesque ground of the 349 visited pips Matlock I think
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,739
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

“Sociology lecturer”
    Bernard Woolley: Could you make her listen to reason, Minister?
    Jim Hacker: She's a sociology student, Bernard!
    Excuse me. Some sociology graduates are very bright, rational thinkers who have very successful careers.

To give just one example, me.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,777

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Well personally I would include Aerosmith as well but they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2
    Oh I would go for the Animals also. Sounds like we have musical taste in common Richard. I'm into Blues. Favourite group Cream. Favourite song Crossroads.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,214

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

My annual moan about daylight saving. Why can't we put the clocks forward on the first Sunday in March?

The dates are not symmetrical because of the shape of the Earth's orbit and the axial tilt, combined with our need in the modern world to make each day exactly 24 hours long rather than fudging it by a minute or so here and there.

So we let sunrise in London get as late as 07:49 on BST before we put it back. But we wait until it's 06:47 at the start of BST.

I suppose there might be an argument for not doing it too early as it might be a safety issue, but would the second Sunday in March really be that bad?

Feck London
    It's on the fringes of the UK. As close to them southwards, actually closer, than Kirkwall is to the border of the UK northwards.

Stupid sods choosing a capital of the UK that is out on a limb. Keswick would be so much more central, or perhaps Oxenholme. Which has a main line railway.
    It’s the lowest place on the Thames where an army can ford. Or so the Romans decided, and they wanted to head north and attack Essex
    Which was then, of course, a, if not the, centre of civilisation in the British Isles.
    How times change!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,806
    edited March 2022

David Cameron
    @David_Cameron
    ·
    2h
    For the last two years I've been volunteering each week at the Chippy Larder, a food project in my local town, which helps low income families with surplus food from supermarkets (and cuts food waste at the same time).

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/1504871342319013910

===

Laudable. But does he know he could have got rid of the need for all of these foodbanks with a few strokes of his First Lord of the Treasury pen back in the day?

That would have been quite something, but I don't think we had that many cruise missiles.

Edit: sorry read that as 'rid of all those food banks'. Long day.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,580
    slade said:

slade said:

Is that Tom Hunt?

Yes it is. However it seems that a local journalist has misread the rules. Surely if he had broken the rules it would have been pointed out at the time by the other parties
    Well, local parties are not perfect and can miss things, but it all seems pretty unlikely, and too long to challenge after so long.
  • Options

Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.
    Thanks. I’m sure she’ll be fine. She’s jabbed and 15. Still a slightly sobering moment

It’s still out there
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Assuming you’re thinking of the Average White Band, I’ll accept your A. Anything for B (apart from Bad Company and The Beatles)? Looking at my playlist, I could be on a loser, here!
    Black Crowes
    Blind Faith
    Buena Vista Social Club
    Buggles

If you are doing it by second names then Bowie
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

“Sociology lecturer”
    Excuse me. Some sociology graduates are very bright, rational thinkers who have very successful careers.

Jury's still out...

:)
  • Options

Match postponed.

My team is a step 5 team which is my favorite level. Cheapest Step 5 club in England £3/£1.50 for adults and concessions

So can basically get a senior admission a programme curry and chips and a pint of black sheep and still have change for £10
    Wow. My Step 5 club is £7/£3.
    Though they do try to play decent football and have an average of over 4 goals per game.
    Good craic.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,128
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    Ok. C. Cat Stevens. Cream. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Curved Air (some prog for @Nigel_Foremain.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.
    Thanks. I’m sure she’ll be fine. She’s jabbed and 15. Still a slightly sobering moment

It’s still out there
    More so now than at any other stage. And sadly some people are still dying. The summer is coming though, and BA2 will peak and decline.
    Hope she stays well.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Feck London

How times change!
    I’m doing my best, but we have had immigrants from Kent!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    Farooq said:

To be antiracist you

I hope I’m not coming across as defending racist behaviour. I just think in the absence of all the details, to ascribe an incident as realist like this is not based on evidence. There were a lot of things wrong here, not least the behaviour of the school staff.
    Black drivers getting stopped more often than white is almost certainly based on racial profiling. For the individuals involved it’s shocking, and you hear stories of black professionals getting stopped more in a year than a white driver is in their lifetime. But is the racial profiling wrong? Is it wrong to profile Pakistani men as being more likely to commit jihadi terrorist acts?
    These are genuine questions to ask. For some of you the answer will be never to racially profile.

When someone who is very obviously not doing anything wrong, just driving about in a safe and legal way, and they are stopped, that is definitely a failure of policing. If that happens disproportionately to some groups of people then it's as good a proof as anyone should need of institutional racism.
    Yes, I can see that if someone belongs to a group that is disproportionately associated with a certain offence AND they are behaving in a way to give rise to suspicion of the offence, the police might be more likely to stop them. But randomly stopping people of one or another group because statistics is harassment of individuals and intolerable.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Starting at A?

Average White Band
    Deep Purple - here having fun and showing themselves to be excellent musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIgXtE4K5U
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hope she's ok.

Remember the heady days when we all assumed (well I did anyway) that a vaccination would prevent you getting it?

Everyone I know who's had covid recently has been triple-vaxxed... but they still got it. None became very ill though, so maybe that's the vaccines working.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2
    Asta Kask although they used to be X-tas when first formed
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,819
    Blondie
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Feck London

How times change!
    I’m doing my best, but we have had immigrants from Kent!
    That's cos you're connected by the lowest burrowing point on the Thames.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,487
    'P&O hope to achieve savings of up to £9 million per year by sacking all its British seafaring staff and replacing them with agency workers.

Parent company DP World spends £140 million per year on golf sponsorship.'

https://twitter.com/CraigMurrayOrg/status/1504554521007112193
  • Options
    kle4 said:

slade said:

slade said:

Is that Tom Hunt?

Well, local parties are not perfect and can miss things, but it all seems pretty unlikely, and too long to challenge after so long.
    Well yes. Not sure length of time has owt to do with it. You're either eligible or not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

“Sociology lecturer”

Jury's still out...

:)
    Cheers, "mate".
  • Options
    kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2
    Oh I would go for the Animals also. Sounds like we have musical taste in common Richard. I'm into Blues. Favourite group Cream. Favourite song Crossroads.
    Oh yes. For me it is quite a range. But predominantly Blues based. So a lot of the 70s stuff, particularly the blues influenced rock. Also a lot of the Tex-Mex influenced stuff as well. Little Feat, Ry Cooder, Maria Muldaur.

So far since lockdown ended I have seen The Waterboys, Public Service Broadcasting and Suede. Lined up for this year so far I have The Eagles, George Thorogood and the Destroyers and Tedeschi Trucks. I was thinking about getting tickets for the Stones but it is the day before The Eagles and I am not sure I can take 2 days in a row on my feet at Hyde Park.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Match postponed.

Wow. My Step 5 club is £7/£3.
    Though they do try to play decent football and have an average of over 4 goals per game.
    Good craic.
    Yeah done a few NWCFL teams at step 6 that were £5 for concessions and Barnoldswick were a bit naughty last week in not allowing concessions so £6 for everyone
  • Options
    kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2
    My dear late mum was with you there: favourite food Cream, favourite soap Crossroads.
  • Options

Match postponed.

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2
    It’s remarkable how many bands are still going. We saw them a few years ago playing in a local music pub. The drummer was the only original member. The lead singer was another blast from the past - Spencer Davis.
  • Options

'P&O hope to achieve savings of up to £9 million per year by sacking all its British seafaring staff and replacing them with agency workers.

FFS!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.
    They supported Paul Simon in Hyde Park maybe a decade back. There had been a problem the night before when (I think) Bruce Springsteen massively overran, so they moved the whole concert forward an hour without telling anyone. Coupled with getting a puncture, I got into the Park just in time to hear her say "Thank you, London!" as she left the stage.

Arse....
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

slade said:

slade said:

Is that Tom Hunt?

Well yes. Not sure length of time has owt to do with it. You're either eligible or not.
    Sometimes you need to challenge things within a certain space of time. That applies to challenging election results (unless court agrees), but I am no lawyer so no idea if discovery of ineligibility would void a result regardless of time.

The law can be dumb - there was a cock up in Swindon a few years ago and it was known it was a cock up, but the Returning Officer still needed local electors to make a challenge to correct it.
  • Options

Leon said:

Hope she's ok.

Remember the heady days when we all assumed (well I did anyway) that a vaccination would prevent you getting it?

Everyone I know who's had covid recently has been triple-vaxxed... but they still got it. None became very ill though, so maybe that's the vaccines working.
    Yes one of the things that emerging is that the vaccines are pretty poor against contracting Covid, especially the newer variants, but hold up extremely well against serious illness. I think that getting Covid after vaccination is the best way as you will gain a comprehensive protection from this, most likely without getting that unwell.
    But there are a lot of unknowns still, including why it’s still serious for some (unvaxxed is obvious, elderly and infirm and immune compromised too, but also genetic and general health factors). Also the spectre of long Covid is out there. I imagine there will be a huge field of research on that over the next few years. Some seem to feel long Covid can happen with mild illness, which is a worry. Whether immunisation reduces that I guess we will have to wait to see.
  • Options

Match postponed.

What’s known in Aberdeen as proper mannie’s fitba.
  • Options

I am pretty sure our Government holds some sort of sway with Qatar. Surely reversing this decision would be a slightly better use of our diplomatic resources than Truss turning the Foreign Office into the Ukraine office.
  • Options

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2
    Oh yes. For me it is quite a range. But predominantly Blues based. So a lot of the 70s stuff, particularly the blues influenced rock. Also a lot of the Tex-Mex influenced stuff as well. Little Feat, Ry Cooder, Maria Muldaur.

So far since lockdown ended I have seen The Waterboys, Public Service Broadcasting and Suede. Lined up for this year so far I have The Eagles, George Thorogood and the Destroyers and Tedeschi Trucks. I was thinking about getting tickets for the Stones but it is the day before The Eagles and I am not sure I can take 2 days in a row on my feet at Hyde Park.
    There's nothing quite like going to watch a bunch of young talent, is there?
  • Options

Incidentally, while I'm agnostic on drug liberalisation, strip-searching a child for suspicion of carrying drugs seems to me wildly disproportionate, EVEN IF THEY ARE. A lot of people would find it traumatic, so it's like beating someone up because they *might* be a pickpocket.

Agreed - it seems a policy designed to humilate more than achieve something tangible, and given how often people are not carrying anything not proportionate.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,962
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.

It’s still out there
    My youngest’s school is partially closing next week because so many staff are off with Covid.

The “No new normal” types don’t really get it: this is the new reality.

Fortunately, the vaccines mean death rates are negligible. If the vaccines hadn’t worked we’d be really stuffed. Can you imagine?
  • Options
    West Indies 288-4. 219 in arrears. Dan Lawrence from Essex made the breakthrough.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,186
    slade said:

I thought once the Returning Officer makes his declaration eligibility is moot. That person is the MP at that point
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.

It’s still out there
    My youngest’s school is partially closing next week because so many staff are off with Covid.

Fortunately, the vaccines mean death rates are negligible. If the vaccines hadn’t worked we’d be really stuffed. Can you imagine?
    Imagine... or watch China?
  • Options

West Indies 288-4. 219 in arrears. Dan Lawrence from Essex made the breakthrough.

3rd test wicket, I think. Three more wickets than centuries, although that’s a bit churlish after his 91. Although it shouldn’t be a surprise that we can’t bowl the WI out after we scored 500, with our batting line up...
  • Options

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2

Not sure there is any Young Talent these days.

Well, Greta Van Fleet but they playing 50 year old music.
  • Options

Incidentally, while I'm agnostic on drug liberalisation, strip-searching a child for suspicion of carrying drugs seems to me wildly disproportionate, EVEN IF THEY ARE. A lot of people would find it traumatic, so it's like beating someone up because they *might* be a pickpocket.

A very good point. And not even hard drugs. Cannabis. Ridiculous
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.

It’s still out there

Yes and no. Omicron, assuming it arrived, would have rendered our repeated attempts to open up and live with it pointless. Herd immunity via infection. Would have been a lot more death, but mainly in the categories who have already died. Terrible, but the world turns.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.
    They supported Paul Simon in Hyde Park maybe a decade back. There had been a problem the night before when (I think) Bruce Springsteen massively overran, so they moved the whole concert forward an hour without telling anyone. Coupled with getting a puncture, I got into the Park just in time to hear her say "Thank you, London!" as she left the stage.

Arse....
    I saw Paul Simon in his last ever concert outside the US - again at Hyde Park. Support was Bonnie Raitt who is just brilliant.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Got to watching some Deep Purple videos after the band discussion. For the moment, Sweet Child in Time perhaps captures some of the anguish of the day, as well as showing off the musical virtuosity of each band member:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE

PS The stillness of the audience is quite striking ...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.

Arse....
    Actually my wife was at that Springsteen concert the night before. I was supposed to be there but was stuck offshore. He was on stage with Paul McCartney and they pulled the plug on them in the middle of their performance.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Got to watching some Deep Purple videos after the band discussion. For the moment, Sweet Child in Time perhaps captures some of the anguish of the day, as well as showing off the musical virtuosity of each band member:

They are touring in October. :)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,851

Leon said:

Hope she's ok.

Yes one of the things that emerging is that the vaccines are pretty poor against contracting Covid, especially the newer variants, but hold up extremely well against serious illness. I think that getting Covid after vaccination is the best way as you will gain a comprehensive protection from this, most likely without getting that unwell.
    But there are a lot of unknowns still, including why it’s still serious for some (unvaxxed is obvious, elderly and infirm and immune compromised too, but also genetic and general health factors). Also the spectre of long Covid is out there. I imagine there will be a huge field of research on that over the next few years. Some seem to feel long Covid can happen with mild illness, which is a worry. Whether immunisation reduces that I guess we will have to wait to see.
    Is there a simple explanation as to why the vaccination against measles is effective against transmission, and the vaccination against Covid isn't?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,186

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2

And rock bands too…
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.

Arse....
    I saw Paul Simon in his last ever concert outside the US - again at Hyde Park. Support was Bonnie Raitt who is just brilliant.
    Best live concert for me was Lynyrd Skynyrd at Knebworth. Showed up 10CC and the Stones real bad.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    Ok. C. Cat Stevens. Cream. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Curved Air (some prog for @Nigel_Foremain.
    Creedence Clearwater Revival, (Ry) Cooder, Can (for all you German Electronica fans), Clapton and JJ Cale (since the former seems to like nicking the latter's songs).
  • Options

Leon said:

Hope she's ok.

Is there a simple explanation as to why the vaccination against measles is effective against transmission, and the vaccination against Covid isn't?
    Honestly don’t know, but I’d speculate about several things. Where a disease attacks in the body. How rapidly it’s able to replicate. How transmission occurs. Whether you can only spread when symptomatic.
    It’s also not entirely true that vaccination against Covid isn’t effective against transmission. If you are vaccinated you are less likely to become ill in the first place. If you do succumb you are usually less severely ill and for a shorter time. So overall there is a reduction, just it doesn’t reduce to zero.
  • Options

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2

We have a great young local band called the Best Bad Influence. However, they play 60 year old music, i.e. traditional rock and roll and rockabilly. Their influences include the Stray Cats. Is there any genuinely new music?
  • Options
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.

Arse....
    Best live concert for me was Lynyrd Skynyrd at Knebworth. Showed up 10CC and the Stones real bad.
    Wow that would have been something to see. I saw the remains of Skynyrd a few years ago and though they were still good they were nothing like they would have been when Ronnie was still leading them and they were all young and rock god-like. .
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,962
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Hope she's ok.

Measles symptoms, including the cough that spreads infection, take 10-12 days to develop after infection.

As I understand things Omicron appears to target the upper respiratory tract & start spreading from there very quickly after the initial infection; before the immune system, even if primed by vaccination, can ramp up to the point that it can eliminate the infection.
  • Options

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?

Oh and The Animals

All better bands than U2

Yes, I was joking - if I meant it I wouldn't be listening to Dylan and Neil Young, as I have been this evening. The oldies are the best.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,258

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    Creedence Clearwater Revival, (Ry) Cooder, Can (for all you German Electronica fans), Clapton and JJ Cale (since the former seems to like nicking the latter's songs).
    The Cure.
  • Options

slade said:

I thought once the Returning Officer makes his declaration eligibility is moot. That person is the MP at that point
    There was a Council by-election a few weeks.back (Walsall?), where the Labour candidate was deemed ineligible ISTR for working.for the Council.
  • Options
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.

Arse....
    Difficult to pick the best for me as they all have different reasons to like them. But probably Springsteen at the Ricoh Stadium back in 2013. It was the day James Gandolfini died and apart from Stevie Van Zandt having acted with him he was also a great friend of the band. So in addition to all the other stuff they also played the whole of the Born to Run album from start to finish. Absolutely brilliant.
  • Options

TimT said:

They are touring in October. :)
    Can't find the Kiev dates ...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,851

Leon said:

Hope she's ok.

Honestly don’t know, but I’d speculate about several things. Where a disease attacks in the body. How rapidly it’s able to replicate. How transmission occurs. Whether you can only spread when symptomatic.
    It’s also not entirely true that vaccination against Covid isn’t effective against transmission. If you are vaccinated you are less likely to become ill in the first place. If you do succumb you are usually less severely ill and for a shorter time. So overall there is a reduction, just it doesn’t reduce to zero.
    Yes, sorry, I was being a bit simplistic, but the contrast between the two is really very large, given the very high R0 value for measles the vaccines against it must be astonishingly effective at preventing transmission (or, perhaps more accurately, at preventing people from acquiring infection).

Experiencing the Covid vaccines struggle to completely prevent transmission, as we'd all assumed, does make me appreciate all the other vaccines even more. Not that I don't appreciate the Covid vaccines - they've saved so many lives.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    Clash
  • Options

Leon said:

Hope she's ok.

Yes, sorry, I was being a bit simplistic, but the contrast between the two is really very large, given the very high R0 value for measles the vaccines against it must be astonishingly effective at preventing transmission (or, perhaps more accurately, at preventing people from acquiring infection).

Experiencing the Covid vaccines struggle to completely prevent transmission, as we'd all assumed, does make me appreciate all the other vaccines even more. Not that I don't appreciate the Covid vaccines - they've saved so many lives.
    Interestingly I suspect one of the reasons for the success of the measles vaccination is that it has kept measles outbreaks so low, the total opposite of where we are with Covid.
  • Options

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    ACDC
    Allman Brothers Band
    Anyone else?
    Oh brilliant yes.

Arse....
    Wow that would have been something to see. I saw the remains of Skynyrd a few years ago and though they were still good they were nothing like they would have been when Ronnie was still leading them and they were all young and rock god-like. .
    First band I ever saw live was not bad either -- Roxy Music with Eno still in tow. Plymouth Guildhall in 1973.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    The Cure.
    Culture Club.
  • Options

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    The Cure.
    Culture Club.
    Leonard Cohen
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    Have you seen the two together. Brilliant. Here is their soundcheck for the San Diego concert in 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEtGZyfms7E
  • Options
    Aha

"Black and Global Majority" yields 27,000 hits. This is the source. It is definitely going to be the new acceptable term, so shape up and get used to it, you racist white global minority people.

This woman claims to have coined it, and she emphasises that it is meant to make white people feel more humble

https://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/-/media/files/schools/school-of-education/final-leeds-beckett-1102-global-majority.pdf
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382

Phil said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.

It’s still out there

Yes and no. Omicron, assuming it arrived, would have rendered our repeated attempts to open up and live with it pointless. Herd immunity via infection. Would have been a lot more death, but mainly in the categories who have already died. Terrible, but the world turns.
    I've been trying to visit my very ill uncle in a care home, and have taken a week's leave for it at the end of this month. But they've now closed to all visitors because one staff member and two residents have suspected symptoms. That keeps happening, and it makes it effectively impossible to plan a visit (he's down in Cornwall). I don't know quite what to suggest as I do see they can't let it rip through the place where every resident is highly vulnerable. Compulsory PCRs for visitors, maybe?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Aha

"Black and Global Majority" yields 27,000 hits. This is the source. It is definitely going to be the new acceptable term, so shape up and get used to it, you racist white global minority people.

This woman claims to have coined it, and she emphasises that it is meant to make white people feel more humble

https://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/-/media/files/schools/school-of-education/final-leeds-beckett-1102-global-majority.pdf

Well that was a big mistake, because it makes me feel more special!
  • Options
    It's everywhere, like a kind of spore in the basement

"Central is pleased to announce, thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, a new series of major Scholarships to encourage applications from British students who identify as Black and Global Majority. "

https://www.cssd.ac.uk/news/central-announces-louis-mahoney-scholarships-support-black-and-global-majority-students

"The network (formerly the BAME Network) uses the empowering term ‘Black and Global Majority’, recognising the national and sector-wide critical conversations on the limitations of words such as ‘BAME’. "

https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/about-us/social-and-environmental-responsibilities/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/race-equality

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Is there a way of looking at twitter without an account? I really cant be bothered with that, and don't what to have to remember another pass word, give my date of birth to somebody else and so on. But I do like this chaps updates on the war, which somebody posted to in the first few days. https://twitter.com/JominiW

I think somebody on here mentioned a way of doing it but and I did not pay attention at the time.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile:

Starting at A?
    Black Sabbath
    Clash
    I know most of these bands,, rate them and would still put the best U2 albums above their best albums.
  • Options

Leon said:

Aha

Well that was a big mistake, because it makes me feel more special!
    Yes, we get to claim we are a minority, not a BAGMEPIUK
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Leon said:

It's everywhere, like a kind of spore in the basement

"Central is pleased to announce, thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, a new series of major Scholarships to encourage applications from British students who identify as Black and Global Majority. "

https://www.cssd.ac.uk/news/central-announces-louis-mahoney-scholarships-support-black-and-global-majority-students

"The network (formerly the BAME Network) uses the empowering term ‘Black and Global Majority’, recognising the national and sector-wide critical conversations on the limitations of words such as ‘BAME’. "

https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/about-us/social-and-environmental-responsibilities/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/race-equality

But black people aren't the global majority.
  • Options

Phil said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hope she is okay mate.

It’s still out there

I've been trying to visit my very ill uncle in a care home, and have taken a week's leave for it at the end of this month. But they've now closed to all visitors because one staff member and two residents have suspected symptoms. That keeps happening, and it makes it effectively impossible to plan a visit (he's down in Cornwall). I don't know quite what to suggest as I do see they can't let it rip through the place where every resident is highly vulnerable. Compulsory PCRs for visitors, maybe?
    This sadly is the conundrum for living with Covid. How does that work for the vulnerable?
    However I think in some cases care homes are being over the top and neglecting their patients/residents rights to see friends a family too. We have not got this right through the entire pandemic. During June and July 2020 cases in the U.K. were tiny, and there would have been very little risk in allowing say outside visits where possible. Didn’t happen of course. I get why there are so risk averse, but I wonder at the impacts on residents mental and physical health.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,734
    Leon said:

Leon said:

‘Black and Global Majority Ethnic’ is an incredibly rare term. Just 167 hits on all of Google, many referencing this unhappy case

Seems to have emerged from niche academe about 2 years ago. Fascinating to see if it catches

This academic says he got it from working for Islington council.@Finn_Mackay
    Fellow White people - in my teaching I don't use the acronym BAME or use it as a noun. I use Black & Global Majority Ethnic people/groups in the UK etc. I got this term from the team working on racial equality in Islington council when I worked there in 2004.

https://twitter.com/Finn_Mackay/status/1271013954253398016
    You’re not giving they them’s full title
    Dr Finn Mackay Adult Human Queermale, a sociology lecturer at Bristol Uni. Superb. Apparently not a parody
    Much more complicated than that.... Apparently "they" have or have not transitioned, but which way is a bit hard to follow, with all the innovative use of pronouns.

And they work at the University of the West of England, not Bristol University.
This discussion has been closed.