Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In Other News …. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,007
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

More grisly photos out of Hong Kong. A reminder of what Omicron can do

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10619301/Morgues-overflow-bodies-Hong-Kong-deadly-Covid-wave-hits.html

Hong Kong has one of the most stringent anti-Covid regimes in the world. 21 day compulsory quarantine, etc

Yet still, pointless: Covid has run amok.

Their cases have now peaked. But the dead will pile up for a while

Hong Kong had/has the HIGHEST peak death rate of any country since Covid began I believe.

And where HK goes, Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Shanghai follow.
    Indeed. Hong Kong has been registering a Case Fatality Rate of 5%. 1 in 20 cases dying - the unvaxxed old

China may avoid this fate, they are surging booster shots across the country, might be just in time. South Korea seems to be dodging the bullet: eg today they report 400,000 cases - huge numbers - but "only" 164 deaths.

If S Korea had the CFR of HK they would be reporting 20,000 deaths a day
    South Korea has administered at least 120,028,530 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 116.1% of the country’s population.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/south-korea/
    And, presumably, good vaccines, not that Sinovac rubbish, which has ~0% efficacy against Omicron Plus

One hopes that every nation on the planet, which has used Sinovac (and a lot have) is now rapidly boostering with something that actually works
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,349
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

Oh no, it's happened - I've tested positive!

A Dr HYUFD of Epping writes:

Getting rid of covid is really really easy. Especially as there are 4 British anti-virals.

If they don’t do the Job get yourself down to the Margaret Thatcher Memorial Hospital and have a lung transplant and a lobotomy.

You need to be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep these viral invaders out of British citizens.
    The vaccines are now quite enough to ensure you are highly unlikely to die from it
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,758
    edited March 2022
    Has Putin just turned on the billionaires and the oligarchs?

He seems to have made a speech saying people who can't get by without a villa in France and oysters and so on are basically not Russian and exist in their heads "somewhere else".
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,704

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

At the moment what are the Ukrainians offering?

No Nato membership or foreign military bases. That seems a decent offer but could Putin really sell that as a win?

Presumably they are yielding Crimea forever, and maybe the separatist bits in the East?

Which is not unjustifiable. Crimea is more "Russian" than "Ukrainian"

You really, really don't want to be Russian in the future. That future gets worse with every day.
    It is tragic. The videos of Russian tanks getting obliterated are gratifying, in one way - it is good to see a brutal invader defeated - but they are also intensely sad. Young men dying in agony for the lunatic vanity of a sick old man. And dying in their thousands

What a rancid state of affairs. Imagine what it must feel like now, to be a Russian conscript in Kherson. You are fighting a criminal fascist war of invasion against a nation that rightly hates you, meanwhile your dictator is probably about to sue for peace, so your death, when and if it arrives, will be as futile as it is painful
    And, if you do survive to return home, you'll be sent to prison if you tell the truth about your harrowing experiences.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_repressions_against_former_prisoners_of_war
  • Options
    Putin's daughter has a house on the French Riviera.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Without wanting to go over the last thread all over again I looked up some stuff on the Falklands War regarding @HYUFD comment on it being easy.

The US Navy assessed that a successful counter invasion was impossible

Lord Craig stated that if just 6 of the 13 bomb fuses that failed because the Argentine Hawks were flying too low had detonated we would have lost

And that is ignoring the threat of the exocets getting past the destroyers and frigates which suffered badly protecting the carriers.

But hey ho just a cake walk.

What do the US Navy or a Marshall of the Royal Air Force know when put up against the intellectual might of a Parish Councillor from Epping who's never seen a rifle or looked at any war in history?
    Noit fair. HYUFD probably got his time done in the CCF at his grammar school, and that includes rifles.
    Yes I was in the CCF
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,045
    eek said:

COVID Summary

- Cases - UP. R is crawling up a bit. Currently 1.35 or so.
    - In hospital - UP
    - MV Beds - Flat(ish)
    - Admissions - UP. R has stabilised at 1.1
    - Deaths - DOWN. Falling very slowly now.

Won't deaths & MV beds (being lagging indicators) reflect what was happening with infections 10-14 days ago?
    We shall see - it depends also on the virulence of BA.2 vs vaccinations and previous infection.

Admissions *not* accelerating fast is an early indicator on this.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    France, Harris Interactive poll:

Presidential election (among 18-24 year olds)

Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 24%
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 23%
    Macron (EC-RE): 21%
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 8%
    Jadot (PE-G/EFA): 7%"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1504123446543982597

Just as well elections are not restricted to 18 to 24 year olds here or in France, otherwise Corbyn would now be UK PM and France's presidential election would be a runoff between Melenchon on the far left and Le Pen on the far right
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,177

He seems to have made a speech saying people who can't get by without a villa in France and oysters and so on are basically not Russian and exist in their heads "somewhere else".

Citizens of nowhere…..
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Biden announces the U.S. will send drones to Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1504142139101483025

Hopefully announcing what has already been delivered....

Let's get that artillery trashed.
    Just listened to Biden and he pledged a huge increase in all kinds of weapons to be sent direct to Ukraine now

It was a direct challenge to Putin and seems the allies are becoming more emboldened
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,894

The Donbas is the key.

Is Ukraine - and is the West - willing to let Russia normalise those grotesque annexations for the greater good?

Well, would it be for the greater good?

What does normalising the annexations gain you over disputing them, but not actively pursuing military means to regain them? And, would it necessarily be so bad if Ukraine were to regain them militarily at some point int he future, as Croatia did with those parts of Croatia that had been occupied by the Serbs?
    It’s debatable. Personally I’m not sure.
    It sticks in the craw to let a bully like Russia away with its annexations. And it sets a bad precedent.

On the other hand, I’m extremely keen to avoid further bloodshed and to allow Ukraine to get on with much-needed economic reconstruction.

Probably from a pure realpolitik perspective we in the West would want to continue to see Russia drained, but it comes at the price of Ukrainian lives.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Is Ukraine - and is the West - willing to let Russia normalise those grotesque annexations for the greater good?

Dead Putin is the key.
    Sadly, not on the negotiating table.

Although there is something in the idea that we should push the Russians into agreeing the sort of humiliation that cannot go unanswered by malcontents in Moscow.
    Both vindictive and ineffective. Muscovite malcontents lack the power to take out Putin either by ballot or bullet. And in 20s Germany the effect of humiliation was to make people get behind the leader. The danger is of reinforcing the belief in Putin that a majority of Russians currently have
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,350
    boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere…..
    Russian Remainers
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere…..

boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere…..
    Russian Remainers
    Rumoaners
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Without wanting to go over the last thread all over again I looked up some stuff on the Falklands War regarding @HYUFD comment on it being easy.

Lord Craig stated that if just 6 of the 13 bomb fuses that failed because the Argentine Hawks were flying too low had detonated we would have lost

And that is ignoring the threat of the exocets getting past the destroyers and frigates which suffered badly protecting the carriers.

Right you want to restart this I can go on all evening and all night now if needed.

None of that changes whatsoever my point that Thatcher was prepared to fight to retake the Falklands as Argentina did not have nuclear weapons unlike us and had a far weaker military like us. Hence we won the war and she would have continued to fight the war no matter what the cost.

Sending a no fly zone into Ukraine against a Russia armed with nuclear weapons is however a totally different ball game
    Even had all our carriers been sunk and most of our destroyers and frigates been sunk (which they weren't and was highly unlikely) we could still have placed submarines armed with nuclear weapons off the coast off Argentina and refused to remove them until the Argentines withdrew
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,421
    Anyone know why elderly people in Hong Kong didn't get vaccinated in large numbers?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere…..
    If he is turning on the oligarchs then he must be very worried they are about to turn on him. Seems all is not well in the Kremlin.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Right you want to restart this I can go on all evening and all night now if needed.

None of that changes whatsoever my point that Thatcher was prepared to fight to retake the Falklands as Argentina did not have nuclear weapons unlike us and had a far weaker military like us. Hence we won the war and she would have continued to fight the war no matter what the cost.

Sending a no fly zone into Ukraine against a Russia armed with nuclear weapons is however a totally different ball game
    Even had all our carriers been sunk and most of our destroyers and frigates been sunk (which they weren't and was highly unlikely) we could still have placed submarines armed with nuclear weapons off the coast off Argentina and refused to remove them until the Argentines withdrew
    I remember suggesting that to my father at the time. I will never forget the look of love and sympathy as he said to me, his adored six year old son “don’t worry my boy, one day you will grow up and with age will come wisdom”.
  • Options

boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere…..
    Russian Remainers
    Well, it’s certainly true that Russia has been “hard Brexited” by the West.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

Although there is something in the idea that we should push the Russians into agreeing the sort of humiliation that cannot go unanswered by malcontents in Moscow.
    Both vindictive and ineffective. Muscovite malcontents lack the power to take out Putin either by ballot or bullet. And in 20s Germany the effect of humiliation was to make people get behind the leader. The danger is of reinforcing the belief in Putin that a majority of Russians currently have
    Yes, we need to be serious. "Humiliating" Putin is stupid, as long as he remains in charge and as long as he has nukes.

Don't corner the rat. Give him an exit. It would be nice if we could eliminate him from global politics, at some point and in some way, but right now the world just needs to step back from the abyss, and end the war. Then we re-arm and wait, and hope that Russia mends itself

We don't need to punish Russia further. It is already quite humbled and the sanctions have already done serious longterm damage

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,679
    kle4 said:

If I were Chechnya I'd be annoyed. They don't get to be their own puppet 'independent' state, even though they do get their own semi autonomous autocrat within Russia.

What happens next in Belarus might be interesting.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

You’re right.

The defenestration of Putin is not a sensible goal because it cannot guaranteed.

However the withdrawal of Russia, and some form of protection from future aggressions, must be.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,688

MattW said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Let us assume that the peace deal is signed, and the world steps back from nuclear apocalypse. (Which would be a positive.)

Does Putin survive?

I mean, sure, he'll spin this as a victory. But it will be obvious to all but the most deluded that he will have spent an awful lot of money and lives on achieving the enmity of most of the world. Russian firms will probably continue to be under sanctions for some time. And Europe will continue to pivot away from Russian energy.

Plus, of course, all but the most loony of his foreign "useful idiots" will have deserted him.

I guess there are no obvious successors to him, and he runs a fairly vicious police state, so maybe he can continue. But he will have been dramatically weakened.

Nord Stream 2 will still be dead. The US has always opposed it.

Even if the Germans demand it is re-instated (and they may well not), why would the US unwind the sanctions that make it impossible?
    Nord Stream 2 ain't coming back.

The Germans thought they had entered into a pact with Russia: money for being (vaguely) compliant with the world order, and no threat to supplies.

Over the winter, the Russians started to renege on this: they deliberately reduced supplies to Europe with the intention that the continent in general (and Germany in particular) would be very short gas come February.

And then they invaded Ukraine.

Suddenly, two things that the Germans thought they could rely on disappeared*.

And you can't put that back in the box. Irrespective of what happens in Ukraine, Germany is rearming and is diversifying its energy supplies.

* It turns out though, that they can still rely on the treachery of Gerhard Schroder
    The Russians will demand Nord Stream 2

Wait for the little voices to pipe-up about how being against Nord Stream 2 is to be Against Peace.
    My own view is that any deal between Russia and Ukraine should not include lifting Western sanctions. The Russians need to be punished and Putin needs to be gone or at some point in the very near future he will just do the same thing again. I would be very worried if I were one of the 'Stans if Putin gets out of this ahead of where he went in.

We impose sanctions on various Middle Eastern countries because of the threat they pose rather than because they are actively invading someone. The same should apply to Russia. Lifting them just because they decide they can't win and so look for a painless way out should not be on the table.
    How much do you want to bet?

- Russia will demand it.
    - Stop The War will be protesting about the sanctions 10 minutes after.
    I'm thinking that Stop the War have perhaps irrevocably pokered their backside on this one.

They seem to be back to the lunatic core.
    Mold always grows back
    Mold is a small village in North Wales, which demands you apologise for this comparison.

Mould is what appears on your overripe melons.

Unless you an American, but in matters of English spelling Americans are always wrong.
    Mold is a small village in North Wales .. Its great treasure (the Mold Cape) was stolen by an imperialist power and taken to London to be stored in the British Museum (of Looted Artefacts).
    Mold’s quite big. County town of Flint.
    My forefathers come from Mold way.
    If anyone asks, I say Holywell.

MattW said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Let us assume that the peace deal is signed, and the world steps back from nuclear apocalypse. (Which would be a positive.)

Does Putin survive?

I mean, sure, he'll spin this as a victory. But it will be obvious to all but the most deluded that he will have spent an awful lot of money and lives on achieving the enmity of most of the world. Russian firms will probably continue to be under sanctions for some time. And Europe will continue to pivot away from Russian energy.

Plus, of course, all but the most loony of his foreign "useful idiots" will have deserted him.

I guess there are no obvious successors to him, and he runs a fairly vicious police state, so maybe he can continue. But he will have been dramatically weakened.

Even if the Germans demand it is re-instated (and they may well not), why would the US unwind the sanctions that make it impossible?

The Germans thought they had entered into a pact with Russia: money for being (vaguely) compliant with the world order, and no threat to supplies.

Over the winter, the Russians started to renege on this: they deliberately reduced supplies to Europe with the intention that the continent in general (and Germany in particular) would be very short gas come February.

And you can't put that back in the box. Irrespective of what happens in Ukraine, Germany is rearming and is diversifying its energy supplies.

* It turns out though, that they can still rely on the treachery of Gerhard Schroder

Wait for the little voices to pipe-up about how being against Nord Stream 2 is to be Against Peace.
    My own view is that any deal between Russia and Ukraine should not include lifting Western sanctions. The Russians need to be punished and Putin needs to be gone or at some point in the very near future he will just do the same thing again. I would be very worried if I were one of the 'Stans if Putin gets out of this ahead of where he went in.

We impose sanctions on various Middle Eastern countries because of the threat they pose rather than because they are actively invading someone. The same should apply to Russia. Lifting them just because they decide they can't win and so look for a painless way out should not be on the table.
    How much do you want to bet?

- Russia will demand it.
    - Stop The War will be protesting about the sanctions 10 minutes after.
    I'm thinking that Stop the War have perhaps irrevocably pokered their backside on this one.

They seem to be back to the lunatic core.
    Mold always grows back
    Mold is a small village in North Wales, which demands you apologise for this comparison.

Mould is what appears on your overripe melons.

Unless you an American, but in matters of English spelling Americans are always wrong.
    Mold is a small village in North Wales .. Its great treasure (the Mold Cape) was stolen by an imperialist power and taken to London to be stored in the British Museum (of Looted Artefacts).
    Mold’s quite big. County town of Flint.
    My forefathers come from Mold way.
    If anyone asks, I say Holywell.
    We all come from mould, sort of.
    Mold is nicer than Holywell. Though Holywell has a nicer name.
    There is a lovely pub just outside Mold called the Glasfryn. Or at least there was I 2008.
  • Options
    No idea if this is true, but...

Судя по перехватам разговоров российских военных – массовые бунты и отказы воевать против Украины. Целыми батальонами идут в отказ. Путин теряет власть даже у военных.

Judging by the intercepts of Russian military conversations, there are mass riots and refusals to fight against Ukraine. Whole battalions go into denial. Putin is losing power even among the military.

https://twitter.com/n_ma_pag/status/1504143823189987344?s=20&t=T4fLhweVijdKyHKCdxrGpw
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    France, Harris Interactive poll:

Presidential election (among 18-24 year olds)

Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 24%
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 23%
    Macron (EC-RE): 21%
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 8%
    Jadot (PE-G/EFA): 7%"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1504123446543982597

Just as well elections are not restricted to 18 to 24 year olds here or in France, otherwise Corbyn would now be UK PM and France's presidential election would be a runoff between Melenchon on the far left and Le Pen on the far right
    Full Harris poll

Macron (EC-RE): 30% (-0.5)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 19.5% (+1)
    Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 13.5% (+1)
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 11% (-1.5)
    Pécresse (LR-EPP): 10.5%
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1504097423593021441?s=20&t=7mrGv-GmlMrNpOJN65Gu5A

Runoff

Macron (EC-RE): 58%
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 42%

Macron (EC-RE): 64% (-3)
    Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 36% (+3)
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1504104729760182280?s=20&t=7mrGv-GmlMrNpOJN65Gu5A
  • Options

The Donbas is the key.

What does normalising the annexations gain you over disputing them, but not actively pursuing military means to regain them? And, would it necessarily be so bad if Ukraine were to regain them militarily at some point int he future, as Croatia did with those parts of Croatia that had been occupied by the Serbs?
    For The Greater Good?

Narp.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere…..
    Russian Remainers
    We also know from here how much allegations of disloyalty really get under people's skin. The oligarchs will be out to get Putin now.
  • Options
    Could it all unravel for Putin??

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h
    At some point it is going to occur to Moldova and Georgia that if the Russian army continues on its current self- destructive path some currently frozen conflicts might get unfrozen.

https://twitter.com/LawDavF
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,075
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Does Putin survive?

I would have thought it would be a multi-step process, with sanctions slowly ratcheted down as Russia proved it could be trusted and as they agreed (and paid) reparations.

Some sanctions - on military or technical equipment, though - might never be removed.
    Part if that process needs to be Russia paying to rebuild Ukraine. Either voluntarily or from their frozen assets
  • Options
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

I remember suggesting that to my father at the time. I will never forget the look of love and sympathy as he said to me, his adored six year old son “don’t worry my boy, one day you will grow up and with age will come wisdom”.
    It was what Kruschev did in Cuba, only the Argentines unlike JFK's US would not have had any nuclear weapons to respond with
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Leon said:

No Nato membership or foreign military bases. That seems a decent offer but could Putin really sell that as a win?

Presumably they are yielding Crimea forever, and maybe the separatist bits in the East?

From my perspective it certainly is unjustifiable. Crimea has been Ukrainian since 1954. It voted to leave the Soviet Union. Ukraine surrendered its nuclear weapons in return for a commitment by the US/UK/Russia to respect its territorial integrity. It's territory has been taken by force and its citizens held hostage by a terrorist state. A referendum on its future could be held with proper international oversight.

Now maybe 'realism' suggests you sometimes have to appease terror and violence. But that's what it would be.
    A plebiscite in Crimea - which would be assumed to be won by pro-Russians - is perhaps the fig leaf we need to overlook the sordid nature of its annexation by Russia.
    Danger of feeding and emboldening the monster though. Not an easy call. My instinct is to increase support to Ukraine to the max short of military intervention and call bluff on warnings from Moscow, combined with maximum sanctions on Russia to be eased only slightly at each stage of their withdrawal.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere…..
    Russian Remainers
    We also know from here how much allegations of disloyalty really get under people's skin. The oligarchs will be out to get Putin now.
    He is either mad or he knows he is on the run and they are already plotting his downfall. Seems a desperate attempt to get RU public to be up in arms about rich people who own villas next to the villa that Putin's rich daughter owns.

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    If there were proper plebiscites run by UN are we confident Russia would win any now?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,004
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Nuclear blackmail? Yes, good strategy. I'm sure no other countries would have objected.
  • Options

Leon said:

From my perspective it certainly is unjustifiable. Crimea has been Ukrainian since 1954. It voted to leave the Soviet Union. Ukraine surrendered its nuclear weapons in return for a commitment by the US/UK/Russia to respect its territorial integrity. It's territory has been taken by force and its citizens held hostage by a terrorist state. A referendum on its future could be held with proper international oversight.

Now maybe 'realism' suggests you sometimes have to appease terror and violence. But that's what it would be.
    A plebiscite in Crimea - which would be assumed to be won by pro-Russians - is perhaps the fig leaf we need to overlook the sordid nature of its annexation by Russia.
    Danger of feeding and emboldening the monster though. Not an easy call. My instinct is to increase support to Ukraine to the max short of military intervention and call bluff on warnings from Moscow, combined with maximum sanctions on Russia to be eased only slightly at each stage of their withdrawal.
    Or tie removal of sanctions to massive cuts in their nuke stockpiles…..
  • Options
    Leon said:

Судя по перехватам разговоров российских военных – массовые бунты и отказы воевать против Украины. Целыми батальонами идут в отказ. Путин теряет власть даже у военных.

Judging by the intercepts of Russian military conversations, there are mass riots and refusals to fight against Ukraine. Whole battalions go into denial. Putin is losing power even among the military.

https://twitter.com/n_ma_pag/status/1504143823189987344?s=20&t=T4fLhweVijdKyHKCdxrGpw

Oh please, please, please make it so.

1917 redux.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

You’re right.

The defenestration of Putin is not a sensible goal because it cannot guaranteed.

However the withdrawal of Russia, and some form of protection from future aggressions, must be.
    We could invite him to talks and make sure he is standing next to an open window. Better not have them in Prague though, as he may get suspicious
  • Options

Aslan said:

boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere…..
    Russian Remainers
    He is either mad or he knows he is on the run and they are already plotting his downfall. Seems a desperate attempt to get RU public to be up in arms about rich people who own villas next to the villa that Putin's rich daughter owns.

A dictator is surely at his most dangerous when he is close to the end. That's when Putin might really do something stupid, if he sees he has nothing to lose

So if these rumours are true, and there are several straws in the wind - from the alleged mutinies to the resigning TV journalists - then this is still a highly perilous global moment
  • Options
    I do like the idea of opening up more fronts on Russia.

Imagine if Belarus were to suffer an unfortunate uprising, and Georgia were to decide now is the right time to take back Abkhazia.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,788

The Donbas is the key.

It’s debatable. Personally I’m not sure.
    It sticks in the craw to let a bully like Russia away with its annexations. And it sets a bad precedent.

On the other hand, I’m extremely keen to avoid further bloodshed and to allow Ukraine to get on with much-needed economic reconstruction.

Probably from a pure realpolitik perspective we in the West would want to continue to see Russia drained, but it comes at the price of Ukrainian lives.
    Well, fundamentally, it will be Ukrainians making the choice whether to continue to put their lives at risk, not us, so I don't think we should frame the choice in terms of whether *we* are willing to ask Ukrainians to sacrifice their lives for *us*. The root of this conflict is about Ukrainians retaining the freedom to make their own choices.
  • Options

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h
    At some point it is going to occur to Moldova and Georgia that if the Russian army continues on its current self- destructive path some currently frozen conflicts might get unfrozen.

Fast tracking Moldova into NATO seems to me to be an obvious move. Along with Sweden and Finland. Georgia is more problematic given their geographic location although they do share a border with a NATO country.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,522
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Biden has openly told the world tonight he and the allies are arming Ukraine with sophisticated equipment immediately and taking supplies from stock to ensure Ukraine is able to attack Russian army in Ukraine.

The weapons included those that Ukraine can enact as a de facto no fly zone

Seems to me this open defiance of Putin and challenging him directly
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone know why elderly people in Hong Kong didn't get vaccinated in large numbers?

They didn't trust the Chinese government in Beijing. Can't blame them.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

You’re right.

We could invite him to talks and make sure he is standing next to an open window. Better not have them in Prague though, as he may get suspicious
    He wouldn’t worry about being defenestrated in Prague as on historical precedent he would be fine as none of the intended victims died as they landed on piles of garbage (I think).

I’m thinking Singapore, by the pool in the Marina Bay.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,870
    Leon said:

The best possible outcome is the Russian army removing Putin.
  • Options

Imagine if Belarus were to suffer an unfortunate uprising, and Georgia were to decide now is the right time to take back Abkhazia.

Abkhazia AND South Ossetia
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,461
    BBC
    “ More now from the besieged port city of Mariupol – the city's deputy mayor has told the BBC that Russian forces have bombed a theatre where hundreds of civilians were sheltering.

Serhiy Orlov said between 1,000 and 1,200 people were in the building. The number of casualties was still unknown, he said. The BBC could not independently verify the information...”
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,008
    Nigelb said:

Another good header, @Cyclefree .
    I was struck by how little reaction the story about what was effectively sexual assault of a schoolgirl by Met police, with the reported acquiescence of her school, got here.

Though the fact that we’re teetering, and possibly edging away from the brink of armageddon does provide something of a distraction.

Part of it is what can we say that is new? That much of the Met is unthinking, misogynist, racist and unaccountable has been done ad nauseum. Hopefully a new leader can start to change it, but doubt they will have much success.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

I get ineffective, I even get dangerous. But where the hell do you get vindictive from? This fucker is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people - both Russians and Ukrainians. I think wanting him out of power and preferably strung up by the balls - even if counter productive and so not desirable for securing peace - is anything but vindictive.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

I get ineffective, I even get dangerous. But where the hell do you get vindictive from? This fucker is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people - both Russians and Ukrainians. I think wanting him out of power and preferably strung up by the balls - even if counter productive and so not desirable for securing peace - is anything but vindictive.
    Shit, I meant vindictive as against the ordinary Russian people who will bear the brunt of punitive sanctions. Nothing could be too bad for Putin.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

Yes, we need to be serious. "Humiliating" Putin is stupid, as long as he remains in charge and as long as he has nukes.

Don't corner the rat. Give him an exit. It would be nice if we could eliminate him from global politics, at some point and in some way, but right now the world just needs to step back from the abyss, and end the war. Then we re-arm and wait, and hope that Russia mends itself

We don't need to punish Russia further, not right now. It is already quite humbled and the sanctions have already done serious longterm damage

I am afraid you are misreading the nature of the regime. We have been talking about off ramps for months now, and the reality is that the Kremlin does not want an off ramp. Indeed continuing to discuss even fig leaf concessions is counter productive. Literally the only thing that is understood in the mafia state is the naked use of power. In fact you should increase the pressure and upgrade the Ukrainian military capabilities to the point where they can successfully go on the offensive. This rat must be cornered before he recognises that he has no choice but to make whatever peace he can. To let him off the hook leaves him like Saddam Hussein after Desert Storm, when actually the defeat needs to be sufficiently comprehensive to ensure regime change.

Few governments make the kind of mistake that Putin has and survive. The West has been threatened with nuclear anhillation. If there is any way to ensure the removal of the tyrant as quickly as possible, then it should be taken now. Leaving him in place is simply too dangerous.
    I take your point but it would be much better and safer if the Putin regime is toppled by the Russians themselves, and there are a few hopeful signs that may just happen. Let us see how it pans out

Moreover, at the moment the imperatives are: stop the war in Ukraine and back away from nuclear doomsday

• Options

Oh, they're all considering their position. For most, China is a better ally, and we've already seen some that want the EU.

Hopefully Russia becomes a pinpoint state with a monument to putin that the world can piss against.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:
    I've lost track, is Cummings back to evil and untrustworthy, or is his every word gospel again?
  • Options

'She'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60742364

The world, or at least the media in the West, really has gone the full bonkers.

It's grotesque to obscure the extent of misogyny that exists by cooperating with the pretence of violent men in cases like this. It's an insult to the murdered victims.

A man has committed those murders. A man.

Up is not down. Mutton is not lamb. Russia's war in Ukraine started with an invasion. And the brutal serial murderer of women in that article is a man - no matter what doublethink he might want to impose on others.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

It was what Kruschev did in Cuba, only the Argentines unlike JFK's US would not have had any nuclear weapons to respond with
    Krushchev pulled missiles out of Cuba only because JFK pulled missiles out of Turkey, a quid pro quo nobody really remembers these days.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

We don't need to punish Russia further, not right now. It is already quite humbled and the sanctions have already done serious longterm damage

I am afraid you are misreading the nature of the regime. We have been talking about off ramps for months now, and the reality is that the Kremlin does not want an off ramp. Indeed continuing to discuss even fig leaf concessions is counter productive. Literally the only thing that is understood in the mafia state is the naked use of power. In fact you should increase the pressure and upgrade the Ukrainian military capabilities to the point where they can successfully go on the offensive. This rat must be cornered before he recognises that he has no choice but to make whatever peace he can. To let him off the hook leaves him like Saddam Hussein after Desert Storm, when actually the defeat needs to be sufficiently comprehensive to ensure regime change.

Few governments make the kind of mistake that Putin has and survive. The West has been threatened with nuclear anhillation. If there is any way to ensure the removal of the tyrant as quickly as possible, then it should be taken now. Leaving him in place is simply too dangerous.
    We established upthread that Charles xii of Sweden, Hitler, Napoleon and ancient Athens survived for years after equivalent mistakes. What are your counter examples?
  • Options
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

You’re right.

He wouldn’t worry about being defenestrated in Prague as on historical precedent he would be fine as none of the intended victims died as they landed on piles of garbage (I think).

The First Defenestration was more deadly. As was Jan Masaryk's (assuming he was murdered by the Russians).
  • Options

'She'

It's grotesque to obscure the extent of misogyny that exists by cooperating with the pretence of violent men in cases like this. It's an insult to the murdered victims.

Up is not down. Mutton is not lamb. Russia's war in Ukraine started with an invasion. And the brutal serial murderer of women in that article is a man - no matter what doublethink he might want to impose on others.
    A human.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,763
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

See you still want to argue with me on a totally different subject. I repeat again and again and again that my only objection was that you said 3 times the Falklands war was easy. I have provided additional evidence that, that wasn't true. As everyone except you knows.

Can you never admit you were wrong? Because boy were you spectacularly wrong.
  • Options

'She'

It makes sense to immediately start identifying as a woman if you get arrested for a serious crime. Women get far smaller prison sentences for the same crime, and they are also hosted in better conditions.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Krushchev pulled missiles out of Cuba only because JFK pulled missiles out of Turkey, a quid pro quo nobody really remembers these days.
    Part of why Krushchev got the shove was that he tried to claim that as a trade - except that the Jupiters were junk and being decommissioned any way.

Kennedy's plan with nukes was to bin all the weird expedients/oddities that had come out of the 50s - Regulus, Jupiter, nuclear powered planes, Project Pluto.....

And replace them with Minutemen and Polaris. The original plan was 10,000 Minutemen missiles...
  • Options
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:
    I've lost track, is Cummings back to evil and untrustworthy, or is his every word gospel again?
    A truly, deeply and dispiritingly stupid contribution. Thank you.

Brighter readers will have noted that the value of Cummings's claims is that they are about a conversation with - allegedly - multiple identifiable witnesses. They are verifiable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

For the love of all that is holy, don't.
  • Options
    This is a dangerously unhinged tyrant, talking like Late Stage Hitler, with a weird sigh in the middle. We need to approach with extreme caution

"I have translated and added subtitles to the latest video speech by Vladimir Putin from two hours ago. Please don’t let it go in vain - I want everyone to see what a speech of true fascism looks like.

No further comment needed, it’s all here, in his speech"

https://twitter.com/just_whatever/status/1504144895501557762?s=20&t=T4fLhweVijdKyHKCdxrGpw
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

Shit, I meant vindictive as against the ordinary Russian people who will bear the brunt of punitive sanctions. Nothing could be too bad for Putin.
    Apologies. I agree entirely.

Indeed, if they got rid of Putin and his immediate entourage - particularly if he ended up somehow in a court either in Russia or at the Hague - I would go so far as to completely disassociate Russia as a state from his actions. Obviously it would not be true as such but it would be worth turning a blind eye to the facts in favour of politics. It would show that we were not being malicious regarding the normal Russian people - that was the mistake in 1919 with Germany. Make it clear that Dictators are held responsible for their actions both internally and externally.

So much Russian money has been sequestered away by Putin and his senior people along with the Oligarchs that we could use the proceeds of crime laws to strip it from them, use some to help rebuild Ukraine and make a gesture of giving some back to a democratic Russian Government.

Again. I am talking pipe dreams unfortunately but if I ruled the world that would be the approach I took.

And banning Norwegian cooking. Just because.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:
    A truly, deeply and dispiritingly stupid contribution. Thank you.

Brighter readers will have noted that the value of Cummings's claims is that they are about a conversation with - allegedly - multiple identifiable witnesses. They are verifiable.
    Russian warship.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

'She'

It makes sense to immediately start identifying as a woman if you get arrested for a serious crime. Women get far smaller prison sentences for the same crime, and they are also hosted in better conditions.
    And with women, always a plus when murdering and dismembering women is a big part of your life
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,205

If there were proper plebiscites run by UN are we confident Russia would win any now?

There should be plebiscites in Crimea and Donbas as part of the post-conflict settlement.

• Options

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

Fast tracking Moldova into NATO seems to me to be an obvious move. Along with Sweden and Finland. Georgia is more problematic given their geographic location although they do share a border with a NATO country.
    Can't Moldova just united with Romania for immediate entry into the EU and NATO?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,169

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Biden has openly told the world tonight he and the allies are arming Ukraine with sophisticated equipment immediately and taking supplies from stock to ensure Ukraine is able to attack Russian army in Ukraine.

Those little Switchblade sacrificial drone/missiles would seem to be exactly what is needed for this next phase of the conflict. Fit in a rucksack and simple to operate.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Yes but Argentina had no missiles to do such a quid pro quo
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

Can't Moldova just united with Romania for immediate entry into the EU and NATO?
    Do they want to?
  • Options

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

However that runs the risk of Putin invading Moldova too, maybe even Finland, if he gets wind of such a plan to fast track them into NATO
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

We don't need to punish Russia further. It is already quite humbled and the sanctions have already done serious longterm damage

What is important is that Ukraine is safer after 15 years of Russian recovery than it was in 2014. That means EU membership, no Russian Crimea and security guarantees from the West.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Nuclear blackmail? Yes, good strategy. I'm sure no other countries would have objected.
    Like Russia now we had a veto on the UN Security Council
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is a dangerously unhinged tyrant, talking like Late Stage Hitler, with a weird sigh in the middle. We need to approach with extreme caution

"I have translated and added subtitles to the latest video speech by Vladimir Putin from two hours ago. Please don’t let it go in vain - I want everyone to see what a speech of true fascism looks like.

No further comment needed, it’s all here, in his speech"

https://twitter.com/just_whatever/status/1504144895501557762?s=20&t=T4fLhweVijdKyHKCdxrGpw

When Putin has a grave, and I hope that's very soon... My god there will be a party there!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

However that runs the risk of Putin invading Moldova too, maybe even Finland, if he gets wind of such a plan to fast track them into NATO
    Putin's supply lines struggle to get to Kyiv. He won't be able to wage war against Moldova or Finland.
  • Options

Aslan said:

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

Do they want to?
    Support for it has been ramping up over the last couple of years and I believe offending Russia is the main reason for opposition.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,574
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

Why do we need to re-arm given that Russia has proven incapable of pulling off even an invasion of its much weaker neighbour?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,416
    Aslan said:

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

Even if they wanted that, it would still leave the question of Transnistria. Perhaps as part of a deal with Russia it could be annexed by Ukraine.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,579

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

You’re right.

The First Defenestration was more deadly. As was Jan Masaryk's (assuming he was murdered by the Russians).
    Always smile at this one

https://youtu.be/4S7QARslq74
  • Options
    Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

Putin's supply lines struggle to get to Kyiv. He won't be able to wage war against Moldova or Finland.
    Moldova is less than 10% the size of Ukraine, even if he made the same progress there as he has so far in Ukraine, that would see pretty much all of Moldova fall to the Russians
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

What is important is that Ukraine is safer after 15 years of Russian recovery than it was in 2014. That means EU membership, no Russian Crimea and security guarantees from the West.
    Crimea is lost, I suspect. Certainly for the moment

As long as this nutter Putin is in charge we have to be realistic. Wrenching away Crimea, by force, means total war - and there is no way Russia will yield it peacefully
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,416
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

Why do we need to re-arm given that Russia has proven incapable of pulling off even an invasion of its much weaker neighbour?
    Unless Russia disappears, it will learn lessons from the conflict and pose a more serious threat in the future.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

Moldova is less than 10% the size of Ukraine, even if he made the same progress there as he has so far in Ukraine, that would see pretty much all of Moldova fall to the Russians
    I am wondering if they might look for a quick unification with Romania. Transdnistria is a problem, though.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

Covid is addling your brain. Earlier today you said you still preferred Corbyn to Boris, then you expressed support for Stop The War, now you ask why we need to re-arm

Get well soon!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Like Russia now we had a veto on the UN Security Council
    Hmmm. You are suggesting we should be using Russia as a role model for how a country should behave?
  • Options
    Taz said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

You’re right.

Always smile at this one

https://youtu.be/4S7QARslq74
    On a pissup in Prague (which I didn't actually go on as I had only just met up with the group) a friend of mine threatened to throw another of my friends through a plate glass shop window which would have been the refenestration of Prague.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

The Donbas is the key.

Dead Putin is the key.

Crimea is lost, I suspect. Certainly for the moment

As long as this nutter Putin is in charge we have to be realistic. Wrenching away Crimea, by force, means total war - and there is no way Russia will yield it peacefully
    Independent Crimea is the clear answer. Neutral and demilitarized.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Lawrence Freedman
    @LawDavF
    ·
    3h

I am wondering if they might look for a quick unification with Romania. Transdnistria is a problem, though.
    Apart from the bits of the right-hand bank of the Dniester de facto controlled by Transnistria, it was never Romanian, apart from the occupation during WW2.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Those little Switchblade sacrificial drone/missiles would seem to be exactly what is needed for this next phase of the conflict. Fit in a rucksack and simple to operate.
    Paul McLeary @paulmcleary

Confirmed: The US is sending 100 Switchblade armed drones to Ukraine. The loitering munition has been used by US special operations forces for several years, and is good at penetrating armor

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209

Scott_xP said:

Biden announces the U.S. will send drones to Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1504142139101483025

Hopefully announcing what has already been delivered....

Let's get that artillery trashed.
    Just listened to Biden and he pledged a huge increase in all kinds of weapons to be sent direct to Ukraine now

It was a direct challenge to Putin and seems the allies are becoming more emboldened
    If he is sending very hi-end drones, it raises the possibility that they are being operated by "Ukrainians" in the US....
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,205
    Putin's speech - is it to the Russian people? Terrifying. Like a last throw of the dice.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,763
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Again showing your ignorance. Re our frigates and destroyers over 50% were hit. As per my previous reference frome some who actually knew what he was talking about if just 6 of the 13 bombs that failed to explode had done so we would have lost. So not highly unlikely at all, but nearly happened. Bizarrely we were lucky that the very brave Argentine Hawk pilots got too low. As it was 4 did sink.
This discussion has been closed.