Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Almost halfway through March and still no CON poll lead – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,636

We are now seemingly back in the absolutely ludicrous position where, as soon as case numbers rise, the threads are clogged with zerocovidians aggressively calling for restrictions. Despite all the evidence that a) no viable restrictions work against omicron and b) the risks from covid to the individual are now lower than influenza.

When will this ever end?

One trollish poster has called for more restrictions. The thread is only clogged because everyone is responding to have their say.

It will end when we stop bothering to reply.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,872
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

This makes the important point about corruption in the heart of the tory party, which I acknowledge stretches back into other governments especially that of Tony Blair.

The right wing lynch mob on here who all continually like one another's posts in their echo chamber (Felix, MM, Sandpit, StateAway, BIgG etc.) hate the spotlight to be shone on this but the fact remains that corruption runs deep in the UK. We have traded and supported utterly corrupt, evil, regimes that are not confined to Russia but certainly include Saudi Arabia and Qatar. London has become a magnet for evil money.

How do we solve the energy crisis? Gosh, there's a question from the 1970's. Nuclear power and renewables. Not raping the earth still further. We could all install solar panels and wind turbines and go off-grid. It's not that hard but it requires a lifestyle reset which you might have thought covid would have induced (it has for some).

Is everyone ‘right wing lynch mob’ who disagrees with you ?

Nope. But there's a particular coterie of right-wingers who all like one another's posts and who turn extremely nasty against counter viewpoints, especially ones which seek to shine a light on western corruption.

Apparently even to dare to suggest that there's stinking corrupt money sloshing around the tory party, and in London, is to become a Putin puppet.

The much more subtle point, which may therefore be lost on them, is that evil people often take grains of truth and then magnify them or twist them. Conspiracy theories do a similar thing. The fact is that there is very dirty money in London and has been for some years. Of particular focus should be Russia, Saudi Arabia and Qatar but it's not confined to those three corrupt states.
    I have been pointing out for years on here the dangers of dirty money sloshing around the U.K., the effect this has had on our political and civil institutions and the dangers of cosying up to states like China, Qatar, Russia and Saudi Arabia. No-one has accused me of being a Putin puppet. You need to look elsewhere for why people might be suggesting that about you.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    11,225 deaths were registered in England and Wales in the week ending 4 Mar 2022. This was

▪️ 75 more deaths than the previous week
    ▪️ 0.2% above the five-year average (19 more deaths)

➡️ http://ow.ly/JeM750IjsLi

670 of all deaths registered in the week ending 4 Mar 2022 mentioned #COVID19 on the death certificate in England and Wales (6.0% of all deaths).

This was a decrease in the number of deaths from the previous week (766 deaths, 6.9% of all deaths).

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1503665401523326976
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    I thought you were going to link to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWKBSYqtu7M
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071

Sandpit said:

Good morning from seat 2F of the 09:50 Aberdeen - Gatwick. After a dry run on a late evening flight I think I am getting the hang of this commuting by plane thing.

The nice thing about smaller airports like Aberdeen is the human scale. From rolling up to the car park ticket barrier to clearing security took 15 minutes.

Then as there are only a handful of gates they use for these flights go down there and wait for the inbound to nose up to the gate and you're already front of the queue to get onto your up front seat with your carry on.

Unless there is a radical change of plan I'm going to be doing this most weeks from June so better get used to it ...

Small airports are awesome, I used to fly from Southampton quite a bit on domestic routes. Gatwick will sadly not be as straightforward. Shame BA don’t fly from Aberdeen to London City any more.
    A big vote for Southampton. I used to fly regularly from there to Edinburgh. It's got to be my favourite airport.
    I used to live in Salisbury, reckoned I could reliably leave home an hour before my flight departed.

That was a couple of decades ago though (damn, I’m getting old), not sure I’d want to run A36 roulette these days though.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning from seat 2F of the 09:50 Aberdeen - Gatwick. After a dry run on a late evening flight I think I am getting the hang of this commuting by plane thing.

The nice thing about smaller airports like Aberdeen is the human scale. From rolling up to the car park ticket barrier to clearing security took 15 minutes.

Then as there are only a handful of gates they use for these flights go down there and wait for the inbound to nose up to the gate and you're already front of the queue to get onto your up front seat with your carry on.

Unless there is a radical change of plan I'm going to be doing this most weeks from June so better get used to it ...

Small airports are awesome, I used to fly from Southampton quite a bit on domestic routes. Gatwick will sadly not be as straightforward. Shame BA don’t fly from Aberdeen to London City any more.
    A big vote for Southampton. I used to fly regularly from there to Edinburgh. It's got to be my favourite airport.
    Agree, same here. Park up, less than 100m to check in.
    Just off the M27 too. C.f. Bristol, served by its very own network of farm lanes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

This makes the important point about corruption in the heart of the tory party, which I acknowledge stretches back into other governments especially that of Tony Blair.

The right wing lynch mob on here who all continually like one another's posts in their echo chamber (Felix, MM, Sandpit, Foxy, StateAway, JJ, BIgG etc.) hate the spotlight to be shone on this but the fact remains that corruption runs deep in the UK. We have traded and supported utterly corrupt, evil, regimes that are not confined to Russia but certainly include Saudi Arabia and Qatar. London has become a magnet for evil money.

How do we solve the energy crisis? Gosh, there's a question from the 1970's. Nuclear power and renewables. Not raping the earth still further. We could all install solar panels and wind turbines and go off-grid. It's not that hard but it requires a lifestyle reset which you might have thought covid would have induced (it has for some).
    I am *not* part of a 'right wing lynch mob'. You might wish to reconsider that.
    One of Putin's little helpers has returned
    I'm sure you think this is terribly smart, as Marquee Mark's little helper, but I am not a Putin troll. I loathe Putin and unlike you spineless cowards on the right I actually believe in not standing by and letting Putin pulverise Ukraine.

If anyone on here is Putin's little helper it's those who refuse to support Zelensky militarily.

You're a bunch of chickens. More concerned with your own NIMBYism than actually having the courage to stand up to Putin.

p.s. and yes I have been absolutely right on covid all the way along.
    Boris is the most supportive leader militarily for Ukraine and is held in high esteem by President Zelenskyy

You throw out insults branding people on the right which is patently untrue and try to goad the UK and NATO into WW111

As for covid you have been wrong from day one

If you want people to take you seriously cut out the abuse to other posters
    Boris is still the arse of arses G. He is a lying cheating mendacious crook. His play acting at Churchill cuts no mustard, anyone can lift a phone and act the tough guy, a fake fraud.
    Many do not like Boris but the President of Ukraine and Ukrainians are quite the opposite and are demonstrably so
    For much the same reason he was once popular in UK, Big G. He tells Ukraine exactly what they want to hear.

France and Germany dropped by before the war, after chat with Putin, and told Ukraine to adopt Minsk 2, Boris dropped by and told them exactly what they wanted to hear.

As our leader, He represents us. Where he speaks on this, Britain speaks, where he walks Britain walks. If he is a cad (partygate etc) and ultimately hated for saying what someone wants to hear and not following through on promise (weak on Oligarchs and so slow and mess on refugees Putin’s generals could be managing it) we will all be hated. 😕
    To be fair, France and Germany were also making noises about it being rude to arm the Ukrainians. The UK has been doin that since 2014.

Yes, they've turned that round in the last couple of weeks. But people have memories....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,278
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

India's elite used to be Western focused. All those Congress party leaders in the post war era were Oxbridge educated etc. And Western Universities still hold a strong attraction to this day. But Modi's rise has created a much stronger form of Hindu nationalism. I'd argue that more people in India are anti western and anti British now than anytime in the recent past..

Anecdotal I know I've noticed a strong rise of online Hindu nationalist comments where ever anything British is discussed. For example a walking video in London on Youtube is usually full of London is so pretty and clean and then up will pop , Some one banging on about it all being looted from Bengal and then often gets quite nasty. Can be on anything UK railways , politics culture what ever , if one Indian says something nice, then pretty much guaranteed to have a comment spitting venom about the UK.

Congress are pretty anti British. The most anti Empire politicians in India tend to be from Congress. Gandhi of course was Congress and led the push for Indian independence.

Modi gets on quite well with Boris however and the BJP pushed for its supporters in the UK to campaign for the Tories over Labour in 2019
    I'd much rather India had a Congress government, anti-British..... because they were the colonial power ..... or not, than the semi (?) Fascist, violently anti Hindu BJP.
    That our current PM 'gets on well with Modi' suggests the sort of man he really is.
    One that does his job?

It’s important for the PM to haves good relationship with India’s leaders.
    I wonder if Sunak becoming PM would have a massive effect on UK/Indian relations. As posted by people earlier the Congress party and Hindu nationalism are huge in India but also slightly simplistic - UK evil imperialists etc etc.

If the leader of the UK was a Hindu of Indian origin would “India” think this was fantastic and they would blindly pivot to the UK or would it make no difference? Clearly somewhere in between most likely but would be an interesting sub-plot if he became PM.
    Maybe would boost UK India relations, might not do much for UK Pakistan relations though
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Selebian said:

Morning all. Feeling slightly miffed to be left out of the 'right-wing lynch mob' while other centrists such as Foxy and JJ were admitted :disappointed:

Maybe it's my non-aligned status re Heathener that has counted against me?

Sorry, but we can't let any old non-aligned riff-raff in. Where will it will end? You'll be wanting to come to the baby eating BBQs next....
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

The right wing lynch mob on here who all continually like one another's posts in their echo chamber (Felix, MM, Sandpit, Foxy, StateAway, JJ, BIgG etc.) hate the spotlight to be shone on this but the fact remains that corruption runs deep in the UK. We have traded and supported utterly corrupt, evil, regimes that are not confined to Russia but certainly include Saudi Arabia and Qatar. London has become a magnet for evil money.

I'm sure you think this is terribly smart, as Marquee Mark's little helper, but I am not a Putin troll. I loathe Putin and unlike you spineless cowards on the right I actually believe in not standing by and letting Putin pulverise Ukraine.

If anyone on here is Putin's little helper it's those who refuse to support Zelensky militarily.

You're a bunch of chickens. More concerned with your own NIMBYism than actually having the courage to stand up to Putin.

Boris is the most supportive leader militarily for Ukraine and is held in high esteem by President Zelenskyy

You throw out insults branding people on the right which is patently untrue and try to goad the UK and NATO into WW111

Boris is still the arse of arses G. He is a lying cheating mendacious crook. His play acting at Churchill cuts no mustard, anyone can lift a phone and act the tough guy, a fake fraud.
    Many do not like Boris but the President of Ukraine and Ukrainians are quite the opposite and are demonstrably so
    For much the same reason he was once popular in UK, Big G. He tells Ukraine exactly what they want to hear.

France and Germany dropped by before the war, after chat with Putin, and told Ukraine to adopt Minsk 2, Boris dropped by and told them exactly what they wanted to hear.

As our leader, He represents us. Where he speaks on this, Britain speaks, where he walks Britain walks. If he is a cad (partygate etc) and ultimately hated for saying what someone wants to hear and not following through on promise (weak on Oligarchs and so slow and mess on refugees Putin’s generals could be managing it) we will all be hated. 😕
    The UK acted months before the invasion to help Ukraine defend itself - by providing weapons and training. That's why the UK, and Boris, is held in pretty high regard there. Quite simple really.

As we had to divert RAF planes around German airspace in order to supply Ukraine, it's not too surprising that Germany, for instance, isn't held quite in so high regard.

The Ukrainians notice such things.
    Indeed - except the bit about months. The UK has been arming and training Ukranians since 2014.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    A quick thought:

The missile attack on the Ukrainian training camp near the Polish border *may* have been targeted by ELINT sources - non-Ukrainian SIM cards being used. Perhaps. Other reports say that the Russians had spies in the camp.

But the attack used 30 missiles to kill 35 people. These long-range missiles are *very* expensive.

Yes, there would have been disruption in the camp as well, and over a hundred people were injured, but it seems a rather low reward for a lot of treasure.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    boulay said:

Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

I’m thinking more an anti aircraft missile on the way in, as it looks like Ukrainian airforce to one SAM operator.

Edit - but I think it’s brave and wish our PM could do it.

Why can't he? Doesn't Zelenskyy have a big enough fridge for him to hide in?
    If we learnt nothing else from Indiana Jones, hiding in a fridge protects you from a nuclear blast so maybe Boris was on to something.
    In the event of nuclear war that means I might have to choose between my wife and properly chilled drinks. Don’t force me to make that choice!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited March 2022
    Bugger, just played that thinking the audio was on the headphones (when actually it was routed through to the surround sound)... while Mrs P. was on the phone nearby to her 90 y.o. dad.

...She's reassured him that the FBS have not, in fact, burst into our lounge, guns blazing.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,606

Sky newsflash; Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has, her MP says, been given her British passport back.
    So with a bit of luck she'll be on a plane here soon.

At last some good news in these horrible times.
  • Options
    biggles said:

boulay said:

Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

I’m thinking more an anti aircraft missile on the way in, as it looks like Ukrainian airforce to one SAM operator.

Edit - but I think it’s brave and wish our PM could do it.

Why can't he? Doesn't Zelenskyy have a big enough fridge for him to hide in?
    If we learnt nothing else from Indiana Jones, hiding in a fridge protects you from a nuclear blast so maybe Boris was on to something.
    In the event of nuclear war that means I might have to choose between my wife and properly chilled drinks. Don’t force me to make that choice!
    Walk in wine room? That way you can survive Armageddon, with your wife and a large selection of fine wine.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Grim covid data at the moment. I'm not going to cower before the right-wing lynch mob on here.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-cases-up-nearly-50-week-on-week-as-expert-accuses-ministers-of-wanting-to-get-rid-of-data-and-move-on-12566355

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60736253

I know a lot of people who have it or those around them who do, and hospitals are filling up again.

It hasn't gone away and it's not good. We need data and continued restrictions.

Hospitals filling up again? Evidence. The UK Covid death rate post vaccination is still tiny.

No we do not need more continued restrictions destroying our hospitality industry just after it had begin to recover again
    Latest UK daily stats show:

Deaths 100 R=1 i.e. low and steady
    Ventilators 250 R=1 i.e. low and steady
    but
    Cases 60,000 R=1.5 i.e. rising rapidly
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2
    In Hospital 12,000 R=1.13
    So a death rate of just 0.16% per Covid case now
    I am going to get a second baseball bat with nails in, for those who refuse to understand that cases lead hospitalisation which leads deaths.

You can't compare cases on day x with deaths on day x.

You have a leftwing ideological agenda to impose everlasting restrictions and destroy most of what is left of our hospitality industry and much of the economy with it while leading to a surge in unemployment.

Tough. We have a Conservative majority government which has removed all restrictions post vaccination and will continue to ignore you. The death rate from Covid in the UK is tiny and will continue to be tiny, this government is correctly moving on
    I know I am going to regret this but @Malmesbury is not making a political point nor deriving a conclusion but a very simple mathematical one that you are not grasping. I'll try a silly example to demonstrate. If we all catch a deadly virus on the same day that puts us in hospital in 10 days and kills us all in 20 days, then on day 1 hospitalisations and deaths are zero, but all is not well because in 20 days we will all be dead. He is pointing out the flawed logic you are using, regardless of whether the decisions based upon that flawed logic turn out correct or not.
    No, he is an ideological Covid restrictions backer no matter how many businesses it destroys or jobs it loses.

We know full well even pre vaccination Covid was not deadly for the vast majority of us, now post vaccination it is not deadly for all but a miniscule fraction.

Covid policy is no longer decided solely by science, it is decided by politics.

The right and libertarians are prepared to live with it, the statist left are not, many are ideologically committed to zero Covid whatever the cost to the economy
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

We are now seemingly back in the absolutely ludicrous position where, as soon as case numbers rise, the threads are clogged with zerocovidians aggressively calling for restrictions. Despite all the evidence that a) no viable restrictions work against omicron and b) the risks from covid to the individual are now lower than influenza.

When will this ever end?

One trollish poster has called for more restrictions. The thread is only clogged because everyone is responding to have their say.

It will end when we stop bothering to reply.
    Or just refer the trollish poster to the response given in Snake Island v. Russian Warship...
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141

Sandpit said:

I have a love/hate relationship with Southampton airport as used to have to fly to and from there for school so during fog season it almost literally could become a home from home. I was dumped there by a long term girlfriend almost on arrival so whenever I end up there now I can feel my heart being ripped out of my chest and stamped on 😆
  • Options

Sky newsflash; Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has, her MP says, been given her British passport back.

I wonder if a new world axis is forming? It would be odd (but nice) to have the Iranians somewhat on the side of the west - although that's a long way off.

I'd also argue that the Iranian nuclear program system is solvable - perhaps this is a first step.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,681

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

To be fair, France and Germany were also making noises about it being rude to arm the Ukrainians. The UK has been doin that since 2014.

Yes, they've turned that round in the last couple of weeks. But people have memories....
    Totally agree. People don’t have short memories when it comes to politics. US and UK been a lot closer imo over many years than the EU. You are right, that means something.

Does that not also raise promise and expectation though, you expect more from true friends?

And on the other hand, we’ve only had Boris 2 years not all those years, so you imply he’s benefitting popularity now from work others done? But he’s lazy and rubbish, would we rather have someone else representing us in this who won’t mess up?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

India's elite used to be Western focused. All those Congress party leaders in the post war era were Oxbridge educated etc. And Western Universities still hold a strong attraction to this day. But Modi's rise has created a much stronger form of Hindu nationalism. I'd argue that more people in India are anti western and anti British now than anytime in the recent past..

Anecdotal I know I've noticed a strong rise of online Hindu nationalist comments where ever anything British is discussed. For example a walking video in London on Youtube is usually full of London is so pretty and clean and then up will pop , Some one banging on about it all being looted from Bengal and then often gets quite nasty. Can be on anything UK railways , politics culture what ever , if one Indian says something nice, then pretty much guaranteed to have a comment spitting venom about the UK.

Congress are pretty anti British. The most anti Empire politicians in India tend to be from Congress. Gandhi of course was Congress and led the push for Indian independence.

Modi gets on quite well with Boris however and the BJP pushed for its supporters in the UK to campaign for the Tories over Labour in 2019
    I'd much rather India had a Congress government, anti-British..... because they were the colonial power ..... or not, than the semi (?) Fascist, violently anti Hindu BJP.
    That our current PM 'gets on well with Modi' suggests the sort of man he really is.
    One that does his job?

It’s important for the PM to haves good relationship with India’s leaders.
    I wonder if Sunak becoming PM would have a massive effect on UK/Indian relations. As posted by people earlier the Congress party and Hindu nationalism are huge in India but also slightly simplistic - UK evil imperialists etc etc.

If the leader of the UK was a Hindu of Indian origin would “India” think this was fantastic and they would blindly pivot to the UK or would it make no difference? Clearly somewhere in between most likely but would be an interesting sub-plot if he became PM.
    Maybe would boost UK India relations, might not do much for UK Pakistan relations though
    Isn't her contribution to UK/India relations the reason Priti's in place?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Grim covid data at the moment. I'm not going to cower before the right-wing lynch mob on here.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-cases-up-nearly-50-week-on-week-as-expert-accuses-ministers-of-wanting-to-get-rid-of-data-and-move-on-12566355

I know a lot of people who have it or those around them who do, and hospitals are filling up again.

Hospitals filling up again? Evidence. The UK Covid death rate post vaccination is still tiny.

No we do not need more continued restrictions destroying our hospitality industry just after it had begin to recover again

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2
    I am going to get a second baseball bat with nails in, for those who refuse to understand that cases lead hospitalisation which leads deaths.

You have a leftwing ideological agenda to impose everlasting restrictions and destroy most of what is left of our hospitality industry and much of the economy with it while leading to a surge in unemployment.

Tough. We have a Conservative majority government which has removed all restrictions post vaccination and will continue to ignore you. The death rate from Covid in the UK is tiny and will continue to be tiny, this government is correctly moving on
    I know I am going to regret this but @Malmesbury is not making a political point nor deriving a conclusion but a very simple mathematical one that you are not grasping. I'll try a silly example to demonstrate. If we all catch a deadly virus on the same day that puts us in hospital in 10 days and kills us all in 20 days, then on day 1 hospitalisations and deaths are zero, but all is not well because in 20 days we will all be dead. He is pointing out the flawed logic you are using, regardless of whether the decisions based upon that flawed logic turn out correct or not.
    No, he is an ideological Covid restrictions backer no matter how many businesses it destroys or jobs it loses.

We know full well even pre vaccination Covid was not deadly for the vast majority of us, now post vaccination it is not deadly for all but a miniscule fraction.

The right and libertarians are prepared to live with it, the statist left are not, many are ideologically committed to zero Covid whatever the cost to the economy
    As usual, you are talking shit.

I've been advocating reduction in restrictions for quite a while... Just looking at the facts. The thing about facts is that they don't care about you. Bit like nuclear weapons. Which is why I like facts *and* nuclear weapons.....

• Options
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

You see this is where I agree with you on the outcome (we shouldn’t reintroduce restrictions) but a touch of empathy for the small numbers still at high risk, and their families, is needed. Well, empathy plus cash, since their lives are now more crap so I can do what I want.
  • Options

A quick thought:

The missile attack on the Ukrainian training camp near the Polish border *may* have been targeted by ELINT sources - non-Ukrainian SIM cards being used. Perhaps. Other reports say that the Russians had spies in the camp.

But the attack used 30 missiles to kill 35 people. These long-range missiles are *very* expensive.

Yes, there would have been disruption in the camp as well, and over a hundred people were injured, but it seems a rather low reward for a lot of treasure.

There have been almost no missiles since, at least not from the Belarus sites. That was a week’s worth of hardware set off in one go, presumably with the intention of destroying a large cache of Western weapons and ‘unofficial’ personnel.

There’s reports of Russians using ‘Stingray’ phone towers in Eastern Ukraine, I wonder if there were indeed some spies close to the camp to call in the strikes.
  • Options

I wonder if a new world axis is forming? It would be odd (but nice) to have the Iranians somewhat on the side of the west - although that's a long way off.

I'd also argue that the Iranian nuclear program system is solvable - perhaps this is a first step.
    Also the oil would be handy.
  • Options

Er... did @HYUFD just accuse @Malmesbury of being left-wing?

Does that mean I lose my rank of Obergruppenführer?
  • Options
    eek said:

I suspect this is the long term future of Covid - not serious enough to close a production / company down but more than enough to knock someone important out for a week or more.

Neil Gaiman
    @neilhimself
    ·
    3m
    It's so strange. On the one hand, people are acting as if we're in a post-Covid world. On the other, every day shooting Anansi Boys brings another change of schedule or plan because someone vital has covid and we've lost them for a week or more.

Yes. Had a live deployment delayed from yesterday because the person who was going to test it is ill with Covid.

But then companies should be wary of people who are single points of failure. Anyone can leave for a job elsewhere at short notice.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,651
    edited March 2022

Yes. Absolutely gob-smacking. That would make me an uber-Trotskyist or something.
  • Options
    Incidentally, of around 30 missiles fired, only eight hit the camp. Allegedly. The others went wrong or were intercepted.

Fog of war, and all that...
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

I've been advocating reduction in restrictions for quite a while... Just looking at the facts. The thing about facts is that they don't care about you. Bit like nuclear weapons. Which is why I like facts *and* nuclear weapons.....

No, I am correct.

Covid is no longer about science, it is just the next battle in the culture wars.

Left statists like you determined to impose restrictions forever until zero Covid no matter the cost to business and the economy and peoples jobs and livelihoods. Conservatives like me and libertarians prepared to live with it post vaccination
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

The UK acted months before the invasion to help Ukraine defend itself - by providing weapons and training. That's why the UK, and Boris, is held in pretty high regard there. Quite simple really.

As we had to divert RAF planes around German airspace in order to supply Ukraine, it's not too surprising that Germany, for instance, isn't held quite in so high regard.

The Ukrainians notice such things.
    I agree with you. It hinges on what you actually do, before the war, during and after. That’s why it falls to us, not Ukrainians, to keep the pressure on our government to deliver and get it right. any complacency on this is not welcome.
  • Options

Yes. Absolutely gob-smacking. That would make me an uber-Trotskyist or something.
    To be fair, his definition of a proper conservative applies to about six people. Outside of that we are all socialists. It really is the reverse-Corbynite fringe.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

Totally agree. People don’t have short memories when it comes to politics. US and UK been a lot closer imo over many years than the EU. You are right, that means something.

Does that not also raise promise and expectation though, you expect more from true friends?

And on the other hand, we’ve only had Boris 2 years not all those years, so you imply he’s benefitting popularity now from work others done? But he’s lazy and rubbish, would we rather have someone else representing us in this who won’t mess up?
    Oh indeed. Boris needs replacing ASAP.

But like the environmental stuff - he had the option to *not* continue the policy.

I like the story of what Foch said, when asked if he was responsible for the victory on the Marne. Apparently he thought about it, then said he was quite certain that he would have been blamed for a defeat.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,742
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

Malmesbury have never struck me as being left wing.

Also, the reaction to Covid has always been by focus-group, media-fearing politics not science. I think I see this as the opposite to what you have said, i.e. Covid policy is no longer decided solely by politics. Some degree of principle and categorical imperative is creeping in as the public belatedly see sense. I hope.
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

You see this is where I agree with you on the outcome (we shouldn’t reintroduce restrictions) but a touch of empathy for the small numbers still at high risk, and their families, is needed. Well, empathy plus cash, since their lives are now more crap so I can do what I want.
    A bit of empathy for the far more pub, cafe, nightclub, restaurant owners and their workers who would be out of a job with yet more restrictions would not go amiss either
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,591

Heather and HYUFD are the PB sorting hats for the morning. Wait your turn to find out whether you're right or left. I, for one, promise to change my posting behaviour in line with my allocated team :wink:
  • Options
    biggles said:

Maybe the Iranians aren't keen on a world where redrawing borders for LOLs is a thing?
  • Options
    biggles said:

To be fair, his definition of a proper conservative applies to about six people. Outside of that we are all socialists. It really is the reverse-Corbynite fringe.
    Did he vote Tory in 2019? As far as I know he did not, so he is certainly no Conservative then
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

No, I am correct.

Covid is no longer about science, it is just the next battle in the culture wars.

Left statists like you determined to impose restrictions forever until zero Covid no matter the cost to business and the economy and peoples jobs and livelihoods. Conservatives like me and libertarians prepared to live with it post vaccination
    Maybe you could provide a recent quote from Malmesbury advocating imposing restrictions, rather than just insisting without any evidence that you are correct? The only thing I can see is this from the post you are replying to:

"I've been advocating reduction in restrictions for quite a while"

which suggests that you might be confusing Malmesbury with someone else (but who?), and that you didn't read it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Faeroe Island cases, almost 70 per 100 population.

But only 28 deaths - a nation almost completely double dosed before the wave hit. Perhaps the most immune nation in the world now ?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

Nor as a big NPI fan. But the idea is stuck in HYUFD's head now, so we're going to have to endure it on repeat ad infinitum. Or ad nauseam.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Mr M is Left, of course. Compared to HYUFD, who, I think, views himself as Centre/Right.

I don't know what they put in the water in Epping!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Did he vote Tory in 2019? As far as I know he did not, so he is certainly no Conservative then
    Does "not a Conservative" equal left wing to you?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

I do so hope this is true. That family has suffered so much.
  • Options

eek said:

I suspect this is the long term future of Covid - not serious enough to close a production / company down but more than enough to knock someone important out for a week or more.

Neil Gaiman
    @neilhimself
    ·
    3m
    It's so strange. On the one hand, people are acting as if we're in a post-Covid world. On the other, every day shooting Anansi Boys brings another change of schedule or plan because someone vital has covid and we've lost them for a week or more.

Yes. Had a live deployment delayed from yesterday because the person who was going to test it is ill with Covid.

But then companies should be wary of people who are single points of failure. Anyone can leave for a job elsewhere at short notice.
    Plus are the people being "knocked out" for a week because they're too sick to work, or because they're not working despite being healthy simply because they tested positive?

If its the latter, then its the behaviour (or restrictions where they exist) that is causing the absence, not the virus.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

Nor as a big NPI fan. But the idea is stuck in HYUFD's head now, so we're going to have to endure it on repeat ad infinitum. Or ad nauseam.
    He'll find a poll to "prove" it.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Sandpit said:

A quick thought:

There have been almost no missiles since, at least not from the Belarus sites. That was a week’s worth of hardware set off in one go, presumably with the intention of destroying a large cache of Western weapons and ‘unofficial’ personnel.

There’s reports of Russians using ‘Stingray’ phone towers in Eastern Ukraine, I wonder if there were indeed some spies close to the camp to call in the strikes.
    I don't think Russia can replace cruise missiles can it? They are reliant on western parts for them which they can no longer obtain I believe. It seems now that a lot of the Russian attacks are now artillery shells. I tend to think that the news stories about the next 14 days being key for the Russians. If they continue to be stuck then I don't see how they can even hold their current positions. The 3 European PMs visiting Kyiv today is a clear sign that the situation there must be improving. They would not risk the visit otherwise.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Heather and HYUFD are the PB sorting hats for the morning. Wait your turn to find out whether you're right or left. I, for one, promise to change my posting behaviour in line with my allocated team :wink:
    Gryffindor for me! Let it be Gryffindor
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A quick thought:

Depends what they were - if Kh101, Russia had a few hundred. If Kh55, similar. Note that both use Ukrainian engines....

In either case, 30 missile is a serious percentage of their stockpile.
  • Options

biggles said:

Maybe the Iranians aren't keen on a world where redrawing borders for LOLs is a thing?
    My daughters absolutely love LOL Surprise dolls. Redrawing borders for LOLs seems like something that is designed to appeal to primary school girls. 😲
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    boulay said:

Sandpit said:

I have a love/hate relationship with Southampton airport as used to have to fly to and from there for school so during fog season it almost literally could become a home from home. I was dumped there by a long term girlfriend almost on arrival so whenever I end up there now I can feel my heart being ripped out of my chest and stamped on 😆
    Favourite airport is Benbecula. Asked the pilot when the plane was departing. He said, "whenever you're ready."
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Covid anecdote. Lots of it going around where I am (Bucks). My 86yo father-in-law (triple jabbed and got Delta last Autumn) met up with 6 other friends of similar ages last week. 5 of them got Covid afterwards (not him) but are all fine. I also know quite a few people of my age (40s) who have caught it recently but all seem to be the ones who had somehow managed to avoid getting it previously. Aligns with lots of Covid cases but hopefully not going to have a massive impact on hospitalisations.
  • Options

eek said:

Neil Gaiman
    @neilhimself
    ·
    3m

Plus are the people being "knocked out" for a week because they're too sick to work, or because they're not working despite being healthy simply because they tested positive?

If its the latter, then its the behaviour (or restrictions where they exist) that is causing the absence, not the virus.
    This is presumably the thinking behind reducing access to tests. A nudge towards normalising this virus.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Me doing a team review/building event - https://youtu.be/8JDkdc246QQ?t=68
  • Options

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Unless you were a Liberal Democrat who backed Cameron and Clegg's coalition yes. Everybody else not in that category or who did not vote Conservative in 2019 is leftwing to some degree.

If you are that you are unlikely to back continued Covid restrictions either
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

No, I am correct.

Bug Report: Something's gone wrong with the HYUFD targeting algorithm. It's started identifying pedants as Left Statists.

Soon it will be convinced that everyone on pb.com is a Left Statist, which can't be true as Heathener has correctly identified us all as PB Tories.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Looking forward to the Venn diagram of @Heathener's right-wingers and @HYUFD's left-wingers.

Everyone but those two included in the intersection?
    We should form our own party. It’s broad church, but the potential votes are enormous.
  • Options

biggles said:

That’s a good point. But if humanity lives to write political history books of this crisis, the dash to secure oil and all the deals done with those previously frozen out, is going to be an educational read. “Oh you love me now do you? Well it’s going to cost you.”
  • Options

Mr M is Left, of course. Compared to HYUFD, who, I think, views himself as Centre/Right.

Bleach? Purifies and cleanses the mind and body, removing any hidden liberal tendencies.
  • Options

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Favourite airport is Benbecula. Asked the pilot when the plane was departing. He said, "whenever you're ready."
    Koh Samui in Thailand is good. Palm-thatched huts for the desks and a little train that runs round for the passengers.
    Obviously tourist-orientated, but still......
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340

biggles said:

That’s a good point. But if humanity lives to write political history books of this crisis, the dash to secure oil and all the deals done with those previously frozen out, is going to be an educational read. “Oh you love me now do you? Well it’s going to cost you.”
    The threat of US relations with Iran taking a turn for the better should get Saudi oil pumps going pretty quickly
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

I always love it when I start up one of these debates. :blush:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

No, I am correct.

Bug Report: Something's gone wrong with the HYUFD targeting algorithm. It's started identifying pedants as Left Statists.

Soon it will be convinced that everyone on pb.com is a Left Statist, which can't be true as Heathener has correctly identified us all as PB Tories.
    Very similar to how Davros’ Dalek project went wrong?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Unless you were a Liberal Democrat who backed Cameron and Clegg's coalition yes. Everybody else not in that category or who did not vote Conservative in 2019 is leftwing to some degree.

I’m going to have to learn the internationale..
  • Options
    kjh said:

I always love it when I start up one of these debates. :blush:
    I love it when he talks dirty like that 🙂
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

I'm always up for welcoming new comrades to the struggle, but @Malmesbury has never struck me as a recruit to the statist left. He's just got a slightly pessimistic view on Covid. It's possible to still be concerned about that and not yet signed up with Stalin and Pol Pot.
    He's just upset because I have a better tank.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

If the whole of the Conservative Party was like you, you'd be pretty much the whole of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Thanks for my first laugh of the day!
    It's my favourite airport too.
  • Options

eek said:

Neil Gaiman
    @neilhimself
    ·
    3m

In my case they're genuinely ill, but in the case of a film set where a corporeal presence is required, it is more likely to be the latter.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,466
    edited March 2022

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

On this Boris has been active in the supply and training of Ukrainians in the use of our weaponry, both before and now during the war

Since Patel has been side-line, Gove has activated an excellent refugee scheme and on individual sanctions it has been announced today that as legislation is now in force a long list of sanctions on Russians matching the EU and US has happened

We attack Boris for ignoring the law but we cannot attack HMG when they had to change the law to ensure their actions are legal and cannot be challenged by wealthy London lawyers

To be honest while HMG have been slow the pace is picking up rapidly and we now have an open door unlimited policy for Ukrainians refugees

Boris has improved through this war but it does not mean he has improved his long term prospects, as the jury is out on that, and as far as I am concerned I am just wanting everyone to pull together and beat Putin, the war criminal, and then return to the Boris question
  • Options
    kamski said:

biggles said:

The threat of US relations with Iran taking a turn for the better should get Saudi oil pumps going pretty quickly
    Very good point. A thaw in the relationships between the US, UK and Iran would put the wind up the Saudis. Might even lead to some respite for the poor Yemenis.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209
    edited March 2022

HYUFD appears to have a very limited set of mental boxes in which he likes to place people.
    Which gives some distinctly odd results much of the time.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Labour picking up the peculiar "must be a social media friend" angle to the refugee scheme that Richard Tyndall came across yesterday:

https://mailchi.mp/3178b72d3619/the-electoral-college-returns-4200908?e=d8b80b1dfe

(Ignore the irrelevant URL title, it's not about the electoral college)
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

No, I am correct.

I actually think moralising centrists are the worst offenders i.e. certain Labour right MPs: people like Wes Streeting as well as specific FBPE nutters on twitter because they are not even asking for state support in return and it detracts attention from attacking the Tories on stuff like Owen Patterson and general corruption over covid contracts etc. It also makes me annoyed that members of the public like this poor woman are still getting retrospective COVID fines: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-fined-2000-lockdown-party-26422039.
  • Options

biggles said:

eek said:

Neil Gaiman
    @neilhimself
    ·
    3m

This is presumably the thinking behind reducing access to tests. A nudge towards normalising this virus.
    Indeed. Too many people have this idea in their head that positive = sick. Cases = illness.
    A direct result of the deliberate decision by the government and its advisers (and the media) to conflate infections with illnesses from the very beginning.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Sandpit said:

A quick thought:

I don't think Russia can replace cruise missiles can it? They are reliant on western parts for them which they can no longer obtain I believe. It seems now that a lot of the Russian attacks are now artillery shells. I tend to think that the news stories about the next 14 days being key for the Russians. If they continue to be stuck then I don't see how they can even hold their current positions. The 3 European PMs visiting Kyiv today is a clear sign that the situation there must be improving. They would not risk the visit otherwise.
    It’s impossible to think that three PMs would fly into a war zone, if their own security and military didn’t agree to the risk. That suggests there’s going to be sufficient air cover in place to take out any Russian aggression. Do they even have a runway secure, can’t imagine they’d go in choppers?

Of course, it could be a false operation, or an excuse to pile a load of European warplanes into Ukraine.

Presumably there will be a lot of NATO surveillance assets involved - there’s already a US Orion on the Romania/Moldova border, a US Army Beech landing in Western Poland, and a Rivet Joint running up and down the Poland border with Ukraine and Belarus.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

We're at risk of losing our moorings here. Best, imo, if exactly where people stand on the L to R via C spectrum is determined by somebody who is known for being objective to a fault. Therefore me, I suppose. Do I have the time? Yes, I think so. And if not I'll do some juggling to create it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Well, I backed the Coalition, but if you call me other than Left, I'll sue. And I'm still cautious about Covid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

but
    Admissions 1,350 R=1.2

All he said was 'You can't compare cases on day x with deaths on day x.' which is true and which is what you are doing. Where did the rest of all this stuff come from?

As per my example comparing cases on day x to deaths on day x is logically stupid (unless infection to death is less than 24 hours which it isn't).
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,026

eek said:

Neil Gaiman
    @neilhimself
    ·
    3m

If it's on a shoot, the insurance people will not allow a covid positive person on set.

Similarly I understand most offices will tell you to take at least a week off if you test positive. I know a few people who have said they are feeling too sick to "WFH" but have actually been enjoying an extra week's holiday with nothing more than a mild runny nose...

Most people are treating it like a mild cold now, it's only 'elf and safety still treating it like the black death.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

I'm quite new here, so this may have been asked already, but was your avatar chosen for you by the site admin ?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    AlistairM said:

Covid anecdote. Lots of it going around where I am (Bucks). My 86yo father-in-law (triple jabbed and got Delta last Autumn) met up with 6 other friends of similar ages last week. 5 of them got Covid afterwards (not him) but are all fine. I also know quite a few people of my age (40s) who have caught it recently but all seem to be the ones who had somehow managed to avoid getting it previously. Aligns with lots of Covid cases but hopefully not going to have a massive impact on hospitalisations.

That sounds promising. The only question I have (expert anywhere?) is about vaccines waning. I had my booster over six months ago, and have some health fragilities as well as knocking on a bit. Are there any plans to add another jab for those outside the really old/vulnerable? Or should I be confident that the six-month old booster is still protecting me fine? A bit more government communication on this would be helpful.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Sandpit said:

A quick thought:

The cruise missiles are mostly soviet-era stuff, and the engines are Ukranian. They’re not getting any more of them.

I’ll take a good guess that they are not all serviceable either, unless they’ve been carefully looked after for the past four decades.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

We're at risk of losing our moorings here. Best, imo, if exactly where people stand on the L to R via C spectrum is determined by somebody who is known for being objective to a fault. Therefore me, I suppose. Do I have the time? Yes, I think so. And if not I'll do some juggling to create it.
    Oooooo can we have a spreadsheet with pivot tables?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Well, I backed the Coalition, but if you call me other than Left, I'll sue. And I'm still cautious about Covid.
    If you are going to sue @hyufd for saying that he will be in court permanently.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

You certainly know how to make the disaffected feel welcome to return!

You are a small brained tribalist, as bad as any Corbynite. I am a conservative, with small "c" on many matters (tho not social), but not, for the time being with a "large C", because the Conservative (in name only) Party is currently led by a lying populist incompetent scumbag. It is because of the fact that I am a conservative that I did not vote CINO in 2019 in spite of having held somewhat more important positions in The Conservative Party than yow. Being a self-important Town Councillor (same as a Parish Councillor) with a blue rosette does not entitle you to determine how I, or anyone else, is entitled to identify their politics.
  • Options
    kamski said:

biggles said:

LOL. 👍🏻

Don’t forget Venezuela too. And what is actually happening now. We don’t want to pour money into Moscow, do we really have no alternative to give that same money into Iran and Venezuela instead? Maybe our leaders are overreacting? Or it’s evidence we are being signed up for long haul v’s Russian people.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

On this Boris has been active in the supply and training of Ukrainians in the use of our weaponry, both before and now during the war

Since Patel has been side-line, Gove has activated an excellent refugee scheme and on individual sanctions it has been announced today that as legislation is now in force a long list of sanctions on Russians matching the EU and US has happened

We attack Boris for ignoring the law but we cannot attack HMG when they had to change the law to ensure their actions are legal and cannot be challenged by wealthy London lawyers

To be honest while HMG have been slow the pace is picking up rapidly and we now have an open door unlimited policy for Ukrainians refugees

Boris has improved through this war but it does not mean he has improved his long term prospects, as the jury is out on that, and as far as I am concerned I am just wanting everyone to pull together and beat Putin, the war criminal, and then return to the Boris question
    From BBC website:

"While the EU has gone further and faster on sanctions than many expected, diplomats have told the BBC of an increasingly evident rift; between Poland and Baltic states - who want ever stronger measures - versus a more cautious approach favoured by countries such as Germany and Italy."

Maybe we should turn to the Scholz and Draghi questions?
  • Options

He is not centre right - he is leaning Farage right
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209
    kamski said:

biggles said:

Might even teach MBS to take Biden's phonecalls, though I wouldn't bet on that.

On which topic, I was a bit alarmed to hear on the BBC that Boris and the murderous despot (MBS, not Biden) had a "warm personal relationship".
  • Options
    boulay said:

Sandpit said:

I've flown into Southampton only once, from Dublin after five days on a tall ship. I had not had a shower in all that time, and was more than a little stinky. I was also with the ship's cook, who was *exceptionally* drunk. Mrs J drove over to pick me up from the airport, and this drunken sailor proceeded to give her a big, unwanted hug.

(I kept away from him at Dublin airport, as he was being so obnoxious, and was so drunk, that I was afraid he wouldn't be allowed to board, and neither would I if the authorities thought we were together. In the taxi on the way to the airport, he asked the taxi driver where all the best brothels were. It was like being with a SeanT who can cook.)
This discussion has been closed.