Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Johnson looks securer Sunak’s next PM chances decline – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 404

Stereodog said:

@Stereodog

Good to see you back, Stereodog.

Thank you! I couldn't really keep away but managed to chill out a bit. I've been morbidly afraid of nuclear war ever since my teens. My mum says it's because I was born on the week of the Chernobyl disaster. When I was about 16 I bought a NBC suit, gas mask and Geiger counter. I've fetched those out of the wardrobe now.
    People come and go on PB. It's part of the charm and the tradition. I have long fallow periods myself. Somehow we always seem to return. Perhaps it is because, despite everything, it remains one of the few forums on the internet where you can engage in intelligent discussion with people of widely differing views.

At its best it is both extraordinarily stimulating and enlightening. For me that's enough to compensate for its shortcomings and occasional excesses.

Hope you feel the same in due course, if you don't already.
    Oh yes I agree. I love this forum even as a lurker because it's one of the few places where you can see the issue of the day being discussed by decent, rational people.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sacrificing Ukraine to Russia is a temporary respite from the threat of nuclear war.

How far are you prepared to go?

I bet Prestupnik Putin is listening.

That Prestupnik thing is as clever as writing bliar for Blair. It just screams I am a wanker, ignore everything I say after here, as definitively as a ! at the beginning of a comment in a block of code.
    Yes attacking Prestupnik Putin is just like attacking Blair.
    Just to remind anyone that missed it.

Prestupnik преступник is Russian for criminal.

And Ishy thinks it's like saying Bliar.

My Russian friend wants me to tell everyone to say it.

I'm sure sides will be taken.
    I'm happy enough calling him Vladimir Poopin'
    If I go there it's Poo Tin, like Shit Can
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,325
    edited March 2022
    philiph said:

People worried about the whole of civilisation being evaporated if we confront Prestupnik Putin..

What's our "civilisation" worth if we don't?

Send your replies to Ukraine.

I don't know, I reckon billions of lives and the continuity of the species is worth a fair bit, but what the fuck do I know? Better send in the tanks so in 100 million years the successor civilisation of intelligent frogs can marvel at the moral integrity of our irradiated skeletons.
    There are several billion too many of us. The specie is unimportant. It will be destroyed at some stage.
    Every atrocity we witness, perpetrate and allow to be repeated as an action of ghe human specie devalues us and goes towards proving we are are not worthy of continued survival.
    So I presume you supported military intervention in Rwanda, in Bosnia, in Syra, in northern Nigeria, in Chechnya, in Yemen too, conflicts which were often just as brutal as Ukraine if not worse with terrible atrocities and where we did nothing militarily in most of them?

Your comment 'the species is unimportant' is so ludicrous as to be barely worthy of comment, however going to war with Russia over Ukraine if it leads to WW3, nuclear war and the death of hundreds of millions or even billions rather than the thousands so far in Ukraine would not have been worth doing on any definition.

Yes in a few billion years time the Sun may explode but by then we may be living on a different planet or even a different galaxy anyway, however that is no excuse for a possible third world war or even nuclear war which is still avoidable
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sacrificing Ukraine to Russia is a temporary respite from the threat of nuclear war.

That Prestupnik thing is as clever as writing bliar for Blair. It just screams I am a wanker, ignore everything I say after here, as definitively as a ! at the beginning of a comment in a block of code.

Vladimir Turdbox (1952-2022).

That's got a ring to it.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

That's got a ring to it.
    Vladmir Crapsack
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,341
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

That's got a ring to it.
    Putler is quite a common variant.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    https://bloknot-volgograd.ru/news/v-volgograde-shokiruyushchie-tsenniki-na-shampuni--1455488

"On 9 March, Volgograd shops continue to raise prices of grooming hygiene products at a record pace. The cost of a milliliter of shampoo tends to 2 rubles, and the employees are already tired of changing price tags several times a day and have replaced them with QR codes."

"On the eve of 8 March I bought a litre of quality shampoo in a professional shop and paid just under a thousand roubles," says Volgograd resident Antonina Kirillova. - And now I see that for 300 ml shampoo Pantene, which is lower quality, asking 563 rubles! For whom these prices? And it's not even normal to look at the price tags. In some shops there is an eternal rewriting of price tags, in others - they even stuck QR-codes. It's very inconvenient. I understand, the staff are fed up with changing the price tags."

"The cost of sanctioned shampoos is rising day by day. A correspondent of Bloknot Volgograd walked around several shops to compare the price tags. A Garnier shampoo bottle of 400 ml cost 185 rubles in January, while yesterday it cost 233 rubles in online shops and today you can find it on the shelves for 319 rubles. Dove deodorant now costs 342 roubles - and that is at best. In other outlets it is found for 562 roubles.
    - Today we are running around like squirrels in a wheel! - The female staffers cannot stand the idea. - This is the second time they have had to change the prices."

ThisIsFine.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

philiph said:

People worried about the whole of civilisation being evaporated if we confront Prestupnik Putin..

I don't know, I reckon billions of lives and the continuity of the species is worth a fair bit, but what the fuck do I know? Better send in the tanks so in 100 million years the successor civilisation of intelligent frogs can marvel at the moral integrity of our irradiated skeletons.
    There are several billion too many of us. The specie is unimportant. It will be destroyed at some stage.
    Every atrocity we witness, perpetrate and allow to be repeated as an action of ghe human specie devalues us and goes towards proving we are are not worthy of continued survival.
    So I presume you supported military intervention in Rwanda, in Bosnia, in Syra, in northern Nigeria, in Chechnya, in Yemen too, conflicts which were often just as brutal as Ukraine if not worse with terrible atrocities and where we did nothing militarily in most of them?

Your comment 'the species is unimportant' is so ludicrous as to be barely worthy of comment, however going to war with Russia over Ukraine if it leads to WW3, nuclear war and the death of hundreds of millions or even billions rather than the thousands so far in Ukraine would not have been worth doing on any definition.

Yes in a few billion years time the Sun may explode but by then we may be living on a different planet or even a different galaxy anyway, however that is no excuse for a possible third world war or even nuclear war which is still avoidable
    The upside to the Earth being engulfed in the fiery nuclear plasma of the Sun is that the place that elected you, and all its people, will be completely ionised and lost in heaving sea of fire. There's always a positive.
  • Options
    Vladmir Shit Twit?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

https://bloknot-volgograd.ru/news/v-volgograde-shokiruyushchie-tsenniki-na-shampuni--1455488

"On 9 March, Volgograd shops continue to raise prices of grooming hygiene products at a record pace. The cost of a milliliter of shampoo tends to 2 rubles, and the employees are already tired of changing price tags several times a day and have replaced them with QR codes."

"On the eve of 8 March I bought a litre of quality shampoo in a professional shop and paid just under a thousand roubles," says Volgograd resident Antonina Kirillova. - And now I see that for 300 ml shampoo Pantene, which is lower quality, asking 563 rubles! For whom these prices? And it's not even normal to look at the price tags. In some shops there is an eternal rewriting of price tags, in others - they even stuck QR-codes. It's very inconvenient. I understand, the staff are fed up with changing the price tags."

"The cost of sanctioned shampoos is rising day by day. A correspondent of Bloknot Volgograd walked around several shops to compare the price tags. A Garnier shampoo bottle of 400 ml cost 185 rubles in January, while yesterday it cost 233 rubles in online shops and today you can find it on the shelves for 319 rubles. Dove deodorant now costs 342 roubles - and that is at best. In other outlets it is found for 562 roubles.
    - Today we are running around like squirrels in a wheel! - The female staffers cannot stand the idea. - This is the second time they have had to change the prices."

ThisIsFine.gif

So oligarchs can still wash their money in London, but Olga can't wash her hair in Rostov-on-Don
  • Options
    If we won't risk our freedom for Ukraine then we don't deserve our own.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

philiph said:

The upside to the Earth being engulfed in the fiery nuclear plasma of the Sun is that the place that elected you, and all its people, will be completely ionised and lost in heaving sea of fire. There's always a positive.
    Though as a Christian I also believe in eternal life anyway, hopefully far away from you.

Given that comment I would not be certain you will escape the eternal fiery furnace even in the afterlife!
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303

It's not "risking freedom", it's "risking billions of lives and the future of humanity". You are proposing to risk killing hundreds of millions of children across the world in defence of an abstract concept. This is immensely stupid and destructive.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

What a ludicrous comment.

Do we risk our freedom for North Korea or Cuba or the Middle Eastern States or much of Africa, none of which are fully free?

Did we risk it when Russia invaded Chechnya or have we risked it given Iranian and Saudi intervention in Yemen?

British foreign policy has often had plenty of realpolitik, we intervene to maintain our interests and when our national security is seriously threatened.

We certainly don't go to war with a nuclear armed military superpower unless that security is seriously threatened ie clear invasion of a NATO state
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

philiph said:

Though as a Christian I also believe in eternal life anyway, hopefully far away from you.

Given that comment I would not be certain you will escape the eternal fiery furnace even in the afterlife!
    What has eternal life got to do with the human race? Eternal life is not dependent on humans.

Why is our narcissistic destructive and cruel specie important?

I am and was distraught and appalled at the genocide and mindless killing in all those conflicts. I support any action to try to reduce thise events in the lives of all peoples.
  • Options
    Only if you're prepared to quantify risk, realistically.

Is ANY chance of nuclear war too much to save Ukarine?

Or is there a small enough chance, that you can realistically evaluate and attach to real world events, where you'd save Ukraine?

If not Ukraine is already dead to you. Whatever crap you choose to say for them.

Are you really for them or not?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

philiph said:

Let me guess, you're retired?
    No
  • Options
    philiph said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

philiph said:

What has eternal life got to do with the human race? Eternal life is not dependent on humans.

Why is our narcissistic destructive and cruel specie important?

I am and was distraught and appalled at the genocide and mindless killing in all those conflicts. I support any action to try to reduce thise events in the lives of all peoples.
    The earth was gifted to us by God, that is why.

There have been genocides across centuries of human history and plenty of animals kill each other as much as humans do.

We cannot realistically get involved militarily in every conflict that takes place in any one corner of the globe at any one time.

We are certainly not getting involved in a conflict involving a military superpower and a non NATO nation
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Or is there a small enough chance, that you can realistically evaluate and attach to real world events, where you'd save Ukraine?

If not Ukraine is already dead to you. Whatever crap you choose to say for them.

We can supply them that is it.

If they want to defend their country they will have to do it themselves or come to an agreement with Russia not to join NATO
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

philiph said:

As fiery chat up lines go, you two are breaking new ground. Get a room! :-)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,341
    The US has set up two Patriot missile batteries in Poland near the border with Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/anadoluimages/status/1501624497362907137

• Options
    HYUFD said:

If they want to defend their country they will have to do it themselves or come to an agreement with Russia not to join NATO
    Throw them to the wolf.

To buy your temporary sanctuary.

I hope you don't get away from the wolf.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    US revising up their numbers dramatically: https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1501718359099981835

"NEW from @CBSDavidMartin: A U.S. official estimates Russians have lost 5,000-6,000 killed in the first 2 weeks of battle. Standard battlefield math assumes 3x as many wounded as killed, so that puts the number of wounded at 15,000-18,000."

Lowest western estimate is 1 in 8 of the pre-staged Russian forces dead, wounded, awol, or captured. European estimates are up towards 20%. Staggering, and completely unsustainable. Bear in mind that only 60ish thousand of the 180k are frontline combat troops, although they've clearly been taking significant losses in logistic, riot policing, and rear echelon troops.
  • Options
    Fuck 'em

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

This is what they do to marauders in Dnipro

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501659071132442633
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    @HYUFD you have a special talent. You even being on the same side of an argument to me (though you inevitably get there with more selfish and unpleasant logic - like here where you have questioned fighting for NATO’s newer members before and say unpleasant things about Ukraine) is enough to always make me question my position…..
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

Throw them to the wolf.

To buy your temporary sanctuary.

I hope you don't get away from the wolf.
    The whole point of NATO and our nuclear deterrent is a last resort defence against Russia. Not going on offence in a conflict on the other side of the continent in Russia's own backyard with a no fly zone and troops for a non NATO nation.
  • Options
    When you all accept surrender for Ukraine in some form, how many war criminals will go the Hague?
  • Options
    biggles said:

@HYUFD you have a special talent. You even being on the same side of an argument to me (though you inevitably get there with more selfish and unpleasant logic - like here where you have questioned fighting for NATO’s newer members before and say unpleasant things about Ukraine) is enough to always make me question my position…..

Well good, as I would equally question my position every time I somehow end up on the same side of the argument as you
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

US revising up their numbers dramatically: https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1501718359099981835

"NEW from @CBSDavidMartin: A U.S. official estimates Russians have lost 5,000-6,000 killed in the first 2 weeks of battle. Standard battlefield math assumes 3x as many wounded as killed, so that puts the number of wounded at 15,000-18,000."

Lowest western estimate is 1 in 8 of the pre-staged Russian forces dead, wounded, awol, or captured. European estimates are up towards 20%. Staggering, and completely unsustainable. Bear in mind that only 60ish thousand of the 180k are frontline combat troops, although they've clearly been taking significant losses in logistic, riot policing, and rear echelon troops.

Those numbers are…. well I was trying to think of an analogy and I can’t. Wow. I am starting to think Ukraine yet might push them back, with the help we can give.
  • Options
    I don't want nuclear apocalypse.

I want everyone to live.

Including the Ukrainians.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Chameleon said:

Those numbers are…. well I was trying to think of an analogy and I can’t. Wow. I am starting to think Ukraine yet might push them back, with the help we can give.
    If this isn't maskirovka, then victory for Ukraine is surely likely. It's not just the scale of the losses, but the relatively modest size of the invading force that makes it so dire. The 200k were already insufficient to adequately encircle and siege Kyiv, and there's little sign of backup arriving.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Chameleon said:

biggles said:

Chameleon said:

If this isn't maskirovka, then victory for Ukraine is surely likely. It's not just the scale of the losses, but the relatively modest size of the invading force that makes it so dire. The 200k were already insufficient to adequately encircle and siege Kyiv, and there's little sign of backup arriving.
    At this point, you would have to say the deception was involving some top quality method acting if it was deception.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,310

I know she's wrong that to "close the sky" doesn't involve fighting.

I don't think that distinction matters any more.

Liubov Tsybulska
    @TsybulskaLiubov
    Lots of killed and wounded after terrible bombing of the maternity hospital. 1170 killed civilians only in Mariupol city. We don’t ask to fight for us, just close the sky. If that’s how democracies react to RU war crimes, then something wrong with these democracies.They’re broken

https://twitter.com/TsybulskaLiubov/status/1501613250605158402

Unless you are prepared to attack targets around Moscow it matters.
    Around Moscow?

Does Russia have anti-aircraft missiles near Moscow that can hit Ukraine? I thought the nearest effective ones they had were just beyond the border.
    The longest range systems (S400) can hit targets over Ukraine, from deep into Russia. 400km range.....
    According to whom?
    While it is just Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-400_missile_system#Current_operators, it is worth noting that it was sold to India and Turkey with that capability (400Km max range) claimed and they hasn't complained about it not working.

The Russians have a long long history of building very long range SAM systems. See the S-200 (NATO SA-5) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-200_(missile)

which leads us to the story of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia_Airlines_Flight_1812

I'll be seriously impressed if it can actually take down a modern jet at 400km range
    The S-400 has been a total disaster - whether because the Russians don't know if planes are Russian or Ukrainian (and therefore are hesitant to launch), or because it simply doesn't work, we don't know.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

@Leon I don’t believe we would go to war with Russia over Lithuania so there’s that. I think the NATO angle is just a convenient excuse for not doing more.

We couldn’t not. We are there on the border between NATO and Russia. No further orders required - the red army shoots and our chaps shoot back.

The Red Army? It's not 1942, mate.
    Russian tanks have been pictured flying hammer & sickle flags, so it’s not entirely inapt.
    US soldiers are sometimes seen with the Confederate flag too, but it's not the Confederate Army.
    When have US tanks displayed the Traitor's Cross?
    I personally saw it on occasion in Iraq.

I used to have the fleg of Fermanagh on my helmet. There were no innocents.
    Every man becomes a bit of a Nazi when he starts fighting
    My guess is that the crew of tank sporting Confederate Flag were from one of the Southern states? Where until fairly recently it was NOT considered inherently racist, but instead (for most who flew it occasionally) a symbol of regional pride.

For example, Johnny Cash used it from time to time, to represent his roots and as part of American heritage. No way HE was a Nazi, that'[s for damn sure.

True enough that Southern Cross DOES have racist origin, and has been overtly flaunted by racists. Yet that is NOT universal, or even the majority. Though nowadays, most of those who saw it as representing their personal heritage, have indeed given it up, at least in public.

And in Georgia & Mississippi these folks were instrumental in having the Confederate removed from the state flags.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    If the injury reports are even half correct, has anyone considered what will happen to Putin's internal propaganda when the young Russian soldiers either come back wounded (or not at all)? When vast numbers come back and tell the story of what they saw and who they fought... Remember that numbers of them seem happier to surrender than fight.

Putin would be safer wiping his own army out if he cannot guarantee victory and I do not see how he can.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,239
    "Priti Patel to allow 20,000 more Ukrainian refugees into the UK
    Home Secretary set to extend criteria for displaced people following backlash over chaotic handling of visa applications"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/09/priti-patel-allow-20000-ukrainian-refugees-uk/
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

If the injury reports are even half correct, has anyone considered what will happen to Putin's internal propaganda when the young Russian soldiers either come back wounded (or not at all)? When vast numbers come back and tell the story of what they saw and who they fought... Remember that numbers of them seem happier to surrender than fight.

Putin would be safer wiping his own army out if he cannot guarantee victory and I do not see how he can.

Russian soldiers rteturning from war will be censored in the Russian media like everything else. That's even if they disobey their commanders and break army secrecy rules.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    This is a fascinating article of the mass non-cooperation in Russian-held cities in Ukraine. Thousands are protesting daily. It's clear that the moment Russian troops move on or resistance troops turn up, the city will revolt and go back to Ukrainian hands:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60670173

I think in a week or so Russian will take the Black Sea coast and strategic cities to encircle Ukrainian troops in Eastern Ukraine. Lots of people will say Russia will now win. But this will be a mirage because they will not be able to hold cities long term. And given the non-compliance of the populace, that means 10,000+ troops in every place of 200k. It isn't possible, and the Russian economic crisis will be getting worse week by week.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Russian soldiers calling home to boast about all the stuff they have stolen from Ukrainians civilians, and how they killed civilians so they couldn't report their position.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/taf8t1/russian_soldiers_in_ukraine_call_their_close_ones/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,432
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

@Leon I don’t believe we would go to war with Russia over Lithuania so there’s that. I think the NATO angle is just a convenient excuse for not doing more.

We couldn’t not. We are there on the border between NATO and Russia. No further orders required - the red army shoots and our chaps shoot back.

Russian tanks have been pictured flying hammer & sickle flags, so it’s not entirely inapt.
    Since the P in PB stands for pedantry, the Red Army stopped being the Red Army in 1946 (about the time they stopped being 'our brave allies') and was the Soviet Army for the rest of the existence of the SU.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,432
    Dura_Ace said:

Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

US soldiers are sometimes seen with the Confederate flag too, but it's not the Confederate Army.
    When have US tanks displayed the Traitor's Cross?
    I personally saw it on occasion in Iraq.

I used to have the fleg of Fermanagh on my helmet. There were no innocents.
    At least these guys stuck with their own fleg.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Pensfold said:

Russian soldiers rteturning from war will be censored in the Russian media like everything else. That's even if they disobey their commanders and break army secrecy rules.
    Bit difficult to censor lost limbs, or hands with blackened stumps of fingers through frostbite...
  • Options

Pensfold said:

Bit difficult to censor lost limbs, or hands with blackened stumps of fingers through frostbite...
    You can prevent news of it appearing in the media which is where 99% of people get their information from.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,897
    We took note of Russia’s false claims about alleged U.S. biological weapons labs and chemical weapons development in Ukraine. We’ve also seen Chinese officials echo these conspiracy theories.

Now that Russia has made these false claims, and China has seemingly endorsed this propaganda, we should all be on the lookout for Russia to possibly use chemical or biological weapons in Ukraine, or to create a false flag operation using them. It’s a clear pattern.

https://twitter.com/presssec/status/1501676230617321480?s=21
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

We took note of Russia’s false claims about alleged U.S. biological weapons labs and chemical weapons development in Ukraine. We’ve also seen Chinese officials echo these conspiracy theories.

Now that Russia has made these false claims, and China has seemingly endorsed this propaganda, we should all be on the lookout for Russia to possibly use chemical or biological weapons in Ukraine, or to create a false flag operation using them. It’s a clear pattern.

But, but, but ...

Russia can't use biological or chemical weapons because it is a party to the treaties (BWC, CWC) which bans their production, stockpiling, transfer or use, and so does not have any of either weapons type. You can use what you don't have ....
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

The US has set up two Patriot missile batteries in Poland near the border with Ukraine.

Have a pleasant evaporation and eternal afterlife everyone. It was nice knowing some of you.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,813
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1500418730341580801

Last week I was invited into a WeChat group mainly for Chinese migrants living in Australia, giving me a unique look at how they view the Ukraine war. The group logo has a Chinese national flag, so unsurprisingly their views are very pro-China, pro- Communist Party.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,321
    Disturbing thread.
    The 1200 confirmed civilian deaths reported in Mariupol is clearly an underestimate, and things will get rapidly worse for the 300k trapped there as supplies and water run out.

https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1501627882925342723
    Today, I attended an emergency online conference of 🇺🇦 mayors from Mariupol, Kharkiv, Trostianets (Sumy region), Merefa (Kharkiv region), and Zhytomyr organized by the Ministry for Regional Development. What the mayors reported raises alarms on many different levels. A small 🧵
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    darkage said:

Last week I was invited into a WeChat group mainly for Chinese migrants living in Australia, giving me a unique look at how they view the Ukraine war. The group logo has a Chinese national flag, so unsurprisingly their views are very pro-China, pro- Communist Party.

Dreadful. I wonder whether he reported this group to the Australian authorities.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,322
    So:

Russia launches a false-flag operation, saying the Ukraine used chemical weapons. China agrees.
    Russia responds with either chemical weapons or tactical nukes.
    We do nothing. (Witness Syria - thanks Ed!)
    Russia takes over Ukraine, having destroyed the cities.
    We do nothing.
    Then there are more false-flag attacks against Moldova.
    we do nothing (Moldova are not in NATO)

Rinse and repeat. Goodness know how China will use this to their advantage.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,613

Leon said:

Leon said:

The appeasers have learnt nothing from history

Looking back, we should have been much sturdier with regard to Chechnya, Syria and Crimea. Those were errors. We have fed steroids to the rabid dog

But worrying about total nuclear apocalypse is not "appeasement". It is the most profound concern possible. Literally the end of human civilisation. No amount of gung-ho @JackW virtue-semaphoring rantothons can wish that away

A sane Putin would not risk it, of course. But is he sane? Who the fuck knows? No one, possibly not Putin himself
    So why would those concerns about nuclear apocalypse suddenly disappear if it was Poland instead of Ukraine?
    Because we have to draw a line, and NATO is obviously that line. And from what Putin says, it seems he realises this

It's not much to go on, but this is a fucking horrible situation, so we do what we can
    Nah. NATO is finished. No way we would do anything more to defend Estonia or Poland or Latvia.

Churchill is likely rolling in his grave
    You might have been right, had Putin gone for Estonia first. But things have changed, and now you are wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,310

So:

Russia launches a false-flag operation, saying the Ukraine used chemical weapons. China agrees.
    We do nothing.

As @MrEd has rightly pointed out, China very definitely does not want Russia to use tactical nukes. Because if they do, then nuclear proliferation in the Far East becomes inevitable, and that is not in China's interest. (And nor, of course, is the world becoming a smoking ruin.)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

darkage said:

Dreadful. I wonder whether he reported this group to the Australian authorities.
    What are they going to do? Free speech, etc.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

biggles said:

ping said:

Fascinating split on PB re: Intervention in Ukraine

It doesn’t seem to split along pre-existing lines like ideology/political allegiance/brexit vote/age

Makes for some truly odd bedfellows

It’s grownups who understand a bit about what’s been discussed vs the rest….

biggles said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The appeasers have learnt nothing from history

Looking back, we should have been much sturdier with regard to Chechnya, Syria and Crimea. Those were errors. We have fed steroids to the rabid dog

But worrying about total nuclear apocalypse is not "appeasement". It is the most profound concern possible. Literally the end of human civilisation. No amount of gung-ho @JackW virtue-semaphoring rantothons can wish that away

A sane Putin would not risk it, of course. But is he sane? Who the fuck knows? No one, possibly not Putin himself
    So why would those concerns about nuclear apocalypse suddenly disappear if it was Poland instead of Ukraine?
    Because we have to draw a line, and NATO is obviously that line. And from what Putin says, it seems he realises this

It's not much to go on, but this is a fucking horrible situation, so we do what we can
    Nah. NATO is finished. No way we would do anything more to defend Estonia or Poland or Latvia.

Churchill is likely rolling in his grave
    When’s your flight to Poland to meet up with the international brigade?
    I am not a soldier, not able to offer the international brigade any useful skills of note, so I’m not sure what your point is.
    You called us cowards.
    Only appeasers tonight. I think cowards was a week ago.
    “Knicker wetting”.
    If NATO had intervened in every act of Russian aggression we'd be the second or third generation growing up in the nuclear wasteland. What Russia did to Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Afghanistan was no less horrendous than what it is doing to Ukraine. The Western powers knew that to intervene would be to risk the destruction of humanity. Can anyone say they were wrong not to intervene?
    Arguably worse, since in the former two, American radio encouraged the population to rise up against the Russians, and we didn’t even send weapons, but left them to it.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Chameleon said:

A few points here:

1. It seems US intelligence when it comes to the casualty rates may have been behind the curve for whatever reasons. Chances are it gets revised up sharply again to get closer to European estimates;

2. While Ukrainian losses will also be high (although they are defending in many cases), Ukraine also is getting fresh “reserves”, not only via the call up / returnees but also foreign soldiers coming in (many of whom would have fighting experience). Chances are the Ukrainian forces’ coherence is, net-net, close to where it was at the start;

3. Related to 2, Ukraine has been capturing material which, in effect, is not only replacing its losses but is an effective upgrade on what they had. So nearly all their tank losses have been T-64s and they are capturing significant amounts of T-72s, T-80s etc
  • Options
    There is a lot in the idea that we are going to have to fight, and the sooner the better. It is our fate, and whatever happens, happens. Because otherwise we are simply submitting to an aggressor, and giving up.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,167
    darkage said:

And how did they view the Ukraine war?

Mornin' all! Brighter here, too..
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,153
    edited March 2022
    MrEd said:

Chameleon said:

A few points here:

1. It seems US intelligence when it comes to the casualty rates may have been behind the curve for whatever reasons. Chances are it gets revised up sharply again to get closer to European estimates;

2. While Ukrainian losses will also be high (although they are defending in many cases), Ukraine also is getting fresh “reserves”, not only via the call up / returnees but also foreign soldiers coming in (many of whom would have fighting experience). Chances are the Ukrainian forces’ coherence is, net-net, close to where it was at the start;

3. Related to 2, Ukraine has been capturing material which, in effect, is not only replacing its losses but is an effective upgrade on what they had. So nearly all their tank losses have been T-64s and they are capturing significant amounts of T-72s, T-80s etc
    How wrong people were to compare Putin to Hitler. He's starting to look more like Crassus. If only he were leadng his troops in person.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    TimT said:

But, but, but ...

Russia can't use biological or chemical weapons because it is a party to the treaties (BWC, CWC) which bans their production, stockpiling, transfer or use, and so does not have any of either weapons type. You can use what you don't have ....
    Thank you, Jeremy.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,087
    biggles said:

kinabalu said:

I don't want it to become received wisdom that Johnson has been saved by the war. He could still be ditched before the GE. I don't think so but he might be. It depends on the polls. Plus he might not have been ditched in any case. Lying to parliament, breaking Covid laws, generally being corrupt, this clearly isn't enough for Tory MPs. It would have depended on the polls. Common thread - the polls.

It almost seems bad taste discussing our party politics in the current situation but here is an idle thought. If Ukraine situation is resolved in next 12 months then Johnson will decide to go rather than risk being ousted or losing the election having decided he has enough for his 3 volume memoirs?
    I really don’t get the received wisdom here that he’s a busted flush. Absent anything new from the police, leading to a proper bollocking, I think he’s now safe from the party stuff and has an evens chance of winning the next election. I only think his chances of that are as low as evens because the police might yet scupper his hopes.
    But something new from the police is highly likely and the publication of the actual, full Gray report is inevitable. Those predicting Johnson will stay seem to ignore these obvious threats. How bad they’ll be for Johnson, we don’t know, but they’re coming.
  • Options

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

I don't want it to become received wisdom that Johnson has been saved by the war. He could still be ditched before the GE. I don't think so but he might be. It depends on the polls. Plus he might not have been ditched in any case. Lying to parliament, breaking Covid laws, generally being corrupt, this clearly isn't enough for Tory MPs. It would have depended on the polls. Common thread - the polls.

It almost seems bad taste discussing our party politics in the current situation but here is an idle thought. If Ukraine situation is resolved in next 12 months then Johnson will decide to go rather than risk being ousted or losing the election having decided he has enough for his 3 volume memoirs?
    I really don’t get the received wisdom here that he’s a busted flush. Absent anything new from the police, leading to a proper bollocking, I think he’s now safe from the party stuff and has an evens chance of winning the next election. I only think his chances of that are as low as evens because the police might yet scupper his hopes.
    But something new from the police is highly likely and the publication of the actual, full Gray report is inevitable. Those predicting Johnson will stay seem to ignore these obvious threats. How bad they’ll be for Johnson, we don’t know, but they’re coming.
    While there's support for the way we're aiding the Ukraine military, there's rising anger over the treatment of refugees. And I don't think he can shuffle it all off onto the Pritster.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,156
    Nigelb said:

Disturbing thread.
    The 1200 confirmed civilian deaths reported in Mariupol is clearly an underestimate, and things will get rapidly worse for the 300k trapped there as supplies and water run out.

https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1501627882925342723
    Today, I attended an emergency online conference of 🇺🇦 mayors from Mariupol, Kharkiv, Trostianets (Sumy region), Merefa (Kharkiv region), and Zhytomyr organized by the Ministry for Regional Development. What the mayors reported raises alarms on many different levels. A small 🧵

That’s very sad to read. Mariopol in particular looks terrible, the city surrounded and under fire, with no electricity and water.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Chris, Crassus was seeking to avenge his son, and was fighting against another great power. Putin was attempting to bully/destroy a much smaller country for precise reasons that remain elusive.
  • Options
    The Lithuanian capital Vilnius has given the Russian embassy a new address on “Ukrainian Heroes’ Street” to protest Moscow’s invasion of its pro-western neighbour.

“From today, the business card of every employee of the Russian embassy will be decorated with a note honouring Ukraine’s fighting, and everyone will have to think about the atrocities of the Russian regime against the peaceful Ukrainian nation when writing this street name,” Vilnius mayor Remigijus Simasius claimed in a statement.

Until now, the Russian embassy has taken its address from nearby Latvian Street, whose name remains unchanged.

But a hitherto nameless smaller road leading straight to the embassy acquired the Ukrainian moniker.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,436
    I'm staying off this forum as it's too needlessly argumentative and angry, and even the right-wingers seem too scared of standing up to Putin.

However just to gently correct Mike, no one can be said to be having a 'good war' except Zelensky and the brave Ukrainians. I don't mean that simply on a moral level but on a political one.

It's clear that there are going to be no winners from this. Putin is not going to be retreating anytime soon but that doesn't mean he is going to push through the rest of Ukraine in a hurry either. People die all over the country, including children and there is a refugee crisis that the UK is failing to meet.

Political gain isn't the focus but in circumstances like this it's good to step back and apply sound historic judgement.

There are no winners from this politically. We are relatively powerless to stop Putin whatever you might like to tell yourself. People are not feeling happier about it. The result?

Ultimately our impotence will bite Johnson and the mid to long term result will be further erosion in tory support.

Basically people don't like feeling unhappy. They take it out on the governing party.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,477
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

I'm staying off this forum as it's too needlessly argumentative and angry, and even the right-wingers seem too scared of standing up to Putin.

However just to gently correct Mike, no one can be said to be having a 'good war' except Zelensky and the brave Ukrainians. I don't mean that simply on a moral level but on a political one.

It's clear that there are going to be no winners from this. Putin is not going to be retreating anytime soon but that doesn't mean he is going to push through the rest of Ukraine in a hurry either. People die all over the country, including children and there is a refugee crisis that the UK is failing to meet.

Political gain isn't the focus but in circumstances like this it's good to step back and apply sound historic judgement.

There are no winners from this politically. We are relatively powerless to stop Putin whatever you might like to tell yourself. People are not feeling happier about it. The result?

Ultimately our impotence will bite Johnson and the mid to long term result will be further erosion in tory support.

Basically people don't like feeling unhappy. They take it out on the governing party.

I am centre-left and apparently my desire not to have the world blow up is being "scared of standing up to Putin".

There are two intertwined but separate issues: the inhumanity and incompetence of this corrupt lying government, and the war. You can oppose the former's actions whilst being broadly supportive of the NATO/EU response. The latter point is not partisan.

We are standing up to Putin. But not at any price.
  • Options
    darkage said:

There is a lot in the idea that we are going to have to fight, and the sooner the better. It is our fate, and whatever happens, happens. Because otherwise we are simply submitting to an aggressor, and giving up.

I've said this ever since Putin was mad enough to invade and, regrettable and horrendous though it is, I'm afraid I think it's correct.

I don't see how we can continue to stand by and watch Ukraine getting pulverised.

However, the only way this will happen is a split in NATO. Joe Biden gave Putin permission to invade Ukraine when he pulled the plug so disastrously on Afghanistan. He sent the clearest possible signal to Putin that he was an isolationist and a coward.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,322
    rcs1000 said:

So:

We do nothing.

As @MrEd has rightly pointed out, China very definitely does not want Russia to use tactical nukes. Because if they do, then nuclear proliferation in the Far East becomes inevitable, and that is not in China's interest. (And nor, of course, is the world becoming a smoking ruin.)
    I think that's a good point.

However, what really worries me are chemical or biological weapons. The genie has come out of that bottle several times, and the West, let alone the world community, have done f-all about it.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

darkage said:

I've said this ever since Putin was mad enough to invade and, regrettable and horrendous though it is, I'm afraid I think it's correct.

I don't see how we can continue to stand by and watch Ukraine getting pulverised.

However, the only way this will happen is a split in NATO. Joe Biden gave Putin permission to invade Ukraine when he pulled the plug so disastrously on Afghanistan. He sent the clearest possible signal to Putin that he was an isolationist and a coward.
    We aren't standing by. A huge volume of arms has gone to Ukraine. We are waging economic war against Russia with devastating effect. As Russia has large-scale KIA and MIA attrition of its forces, Ukraine keeps getting more fighters as people return home to fight and volunteers from around the world join up.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    As we weigh up the risks of action and inaction it might be good to understand why Putin might be deliberately provoking NATO.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,992

Historically those are not high casualty figures for a Russian/USSR war. Russian life is cheap.

I'd say it depends on the current nature of Russian society, and whether the competent armed forces have shrunk so much as seems to be the case that smaller losses will be crippling.

One worthwhile comparison is the Winter War, and there Russia lost afaics ~150k dead and ~180k wounded, from an invasion force that was in the 500k-700k ballpark. Of those, 60k are thought to have been wounded / bitten by General Frost. Russian population was 170m in 1939.

The Finnish nos were around 25k killed, and 45k wounded. From a population of less than 4m in 1939.

More modern wars - Chechnya, Afghanistan, Georgia - have lower numbers.

The numbers are the approx. middle of the ranges quoted on Wiki, which seems adequate to make the point.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    So much woolly headed thinking via false analogy on this thread.

“Stand up to bullies”.
    “You don’t deserve freedom if you won’t fight for it”.
    “Ukraine is Czechoslovakia” etc…

As for the whole debate about murdering Putin’s / his associates’ children and imagining the consequence would be a group of chastised fathers retiring peacefully with their family albums…

I don’t often say this but you should all read what HYFUD is saying. Reflect carefully on his short, clear sentences about the lines of NATO.

What we are witnessing is the degree of powerlessness against a nuclear state once it sets its course on military action. Much of the world is doing what it can through military aid, giving refuge to civilians, corporate behaviour and direct sanctions. And it might work eventually. But it might not and Ukraine could easily be turned from a modern state into a failed one.

There were many world powers including Russia that were very upset when the US invaded Iraq. Infrastructure got destroyed, too many children were victims. But fortunately you didn’t see attempts by other nuclear states to fight the US directly in that conflict. They knew to do so was not only futile but too dangerous. Plenty of monkey business through proxies for sure but nothing that risked direct conflict and escalation.

The hard truth is that likely the only way to save the children of Mariupol is to stop the invasion from happening in the first place. Because the ex ante stakes have been raised sufficiently high that Putin does not dare. That is what NATO is for.

Sadly for the children of Mariupol, most of the western world only woke up to the need for a well funded defence budget and coherent and coordinated foreign policy AFTER the invasion. I suspect those railing against their own powerlessness know this is true of themselves if they are honest about it.
  • Options

Heathener said:

I am centre-left and apparently my desire not to have the world blow up is being "scared of standing up to Putin".

[...]

I am also left of centre and I too don't want to see the world blown up.

However I am also a realist. You don't win wars by sanctions I'm afraid. This is self-satisfied backslapping by the west. In the long term, it will of course damage Russia. But it won't stop this war.

We are getting drawn in and this is the time for courage, to issue an ultimatum to Putin: ceasefire and enter talks in the next 48 hours or we impose a No Fly Zone.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

They will only be a threat if either: 1) 54 letters go in or 2) public opinion rages about the issue again.

IMO neither is likely.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,735
    Andy_JS said:

Home Secretary set to extend criteria for displaced people following backlash over chaotic handling of visa applications"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/09/priti-patel-allow-20000-ukrainian-refugees-uk/

Rather than announcing imaginary future high numbers just sort out the few hundred/thousand trying to get in now.
  • Options
    p.s. the cracks in NATO are very obviously emerging ...

Sorry to HYUFD and those who would love it to be otherwise. Much of this lands at Biden's feet. European countries, especially those closest to the conflict, have a rather different perspective than Sleepy Joe.

(And the UK has become even more isolated.)
  • Options
    Can I raise a somewhat more light-hearted question, totally O/t. A lurker here (you know who you are) and I went to an online talk on "eureka moments' yesterday, and one of the examples was Percy Shaw's 'invention' of cats-eyes for road safety. In the subsequent discussion it was pointed out that they appeared to be a British thing; other countries didn't use them.

I don't recall seeing them in Spain, someone else said they weren't used in France and someone else that at one stage in his life he'd tried to sell them in the US without success.

There are people here who've driven all over the world; are they used in other countries?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    moonshine said:

“Stand up to bullies”.

As for the whole debate about murdering Putin’s / his associates’ children and imagining the consequence would be a group of chastised fathers retiring peacefully with their family albums…

I don’t often say this but you should all read what HYFUD is saying. Reflect carefully on his short, clear sentences about the lines of NATO.

What we are witnessing is the degree of powerlessness against a nuclear state once it sets its course on military action. Much of the world is doing what it can through military aid, giving refuge to civilians, corporate behaviour and direct sanctions. And it might work eventually. But it might not and Ukraine could easily be turned from a modern state into a failed one.

There were many world powers including Russia that were very upset when the US invaded Iraq. Infrastructure got destroyed, too many children were victims. But fortunately you didn’t see attempts by other nuclear states to fight the US directly in that conflict. They knew to do so was not only futile but too dangerous. Plenty of monkey business through proxies for sure but nothing that risked direct conflict and escalation.

The hard truth is that likely the only way to save the children of Mariupol is to stop the invasion from happening in the first place. Because the ex ante stakes have been raised sufficiently high that Putin does not dare. That is what NATO is for.

Sadly for the children of Mariupol, most of the western world only woke up to the need for a well funded defence budget and coherent and coordinated foreign policy AFTER the invasion. I suspect those railing against their own powerlessness know this is true of themselves if they are honest about it.

You might like to consider why Putin is escalating, he appears to have a policy to bring NATO into the conflict.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,436

Have a pleasant evaporation and eternal afterlife everyone. It was nice knowing some of you.
    Very disturbing. Refugees might be safer not being in the uk
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,147
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

[...]

However I am also a realist. You don't win wars by sanctions I'm afraid. This is self-satisfied backslapping by the west. In the long term, it will of course damage Russia. But it won't stop this war.

We are getting drawn in and this is the time for courage, to issue an ultimatum to Putin: ceasefire and enter talks in the next 48 hours or we impose a No Fly Zone.
    That requires taking out missile defences very close to Moscow 400km away from the border.

Sadly a NFZ is not an option
  • Options
    moonshine said:

So much woolly headed thinking Reflect carefully on his short, clear sentences about the lines of NATO.

In many ways this war has revealed the flaws of NATO. It only covers its members, which means that people like Putin can get away with whatever they like against non-NATO countries.

But it also reveals the NIMBYism of some NATO states. The US in particular. Joe Biden greenlit this invasion when he pulled the plug so disgracefully on Afghanistan: dumping on them. The catastrophe in that country hasn't registered in our news very much.

But I also more controversially now doubt anyway whether NATO would respond to an attack on one of its member states. Joe Biden has shown such a disinclination to stand up to Putin.

If we survive this then Europe as a whole will emerge stronger and more united, minus the UK of course which has now decided to put it itself nowhere on the world map.
  • Options
    eek said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

[...]

That requires taking out missile defences very close to Moscow 400km away from the border.

Sadly a NFZ is not an option
    Of course it's an option. It's just a dangerous one.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,153
    Heathener said:

Sorry to HYUFD and those who would love it to be otherwise. Much of this lands at Biden's feet. European countries, especially those closest to the conflict, have a rather different perspective than Sleepy Joe.

A situation like this really does illustrate how absolutely empty-headed some people can be.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    MattW said:

Historically those are not high casualty figures for a Russian/USSR war. Russian life is cheap.

I'd say it depends on the current nature of Russian society, and whether the competent armed forces have shrunk so much as seems to be the case that smaller losses will be crippling.

One worthwhile comparison is the Winter War, and there Russia lost afaics ~150k dead and ~180k wounded, from an invasion force that was in the 500k-700k ballpark. Of those, 60k are thought to have been wounded / bitten by General Frost. Russian population was 170m in 1939.

The Finnish nos were around 25k killed, and 45k wounded. From a population of less than 4m in 1939.

More modern wars - Chechnya, Afghanistan, Georgia - have lower numbers, although % of pop is as high or higher.

The numbers are the approx. middle of the ranges quoted on Wiki, which seems adequate to make the point.
    Adds: Population numbers at the point of the way are Chechnya 1-2m, Afghanistan 13m in 1979, Georgia 3-4m.

The obvious differences in Ukraine are the length of the war (so far), Ukr having more like 25-30% of the population of Russia (as opposed to 1-10%), and the quality of the Ukr Armed Forces.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Rather than announcing imaginary future high numbers just sort out the few hundred/thousand trying to get in now.
    Is this on top of the 200k announced so far? Or a bypass to the obstacle course?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Heathener said:

A situation like this really does illustrate how absolutely empty-headed some people can be.
    It may but this forum is at its best when people don't go Ad Hominem and descend into personal insults. I wouldn't describe anyone as 'empty-headed' which is just rude and a failure to play the ball.

I'm afraid considered and reasoned debate on here is all too rare at the moment. Which is why I'm not frequenting it much.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,972

Don't worry. Due to

- The Russian belief that Sweden and Finland are really NATO adjuncts,
    - Your proximity to Kaliningrad
    - The laws of physics

You will be evaporating 15 minutes *before* us, I reckon.

Get the chairs out, and get the tea on, when you arrive, there's a good chap.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340

darkage said:

To save you the bother of reading the thread:
    loads of extreme pro-Putin propaganda, lots of it from official Chinese sources.
  • Options
    State Away, you need more courage. I think I understand your perspectives by now but you need, if I may say, to be more of a realist about the world.

This is a grim time but I'm reminded of JRR Tolkien's words:

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
    “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Have as good and as non-insulting a day as you can, everyone.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

“Stand up to bullies”.

Yes. Look at our own position. We started the run down of our armed forces in the early 80s and really accelerated it hard over the last 15 - 20 years. Our troops are notoriously badly equipped and badly paid and we have had to explore stupidity like pooling naval resources with France to provide our new carriers with escorts.

On top of that we have allowed Russian money and influence to undermine our politics and society. We're weak and divided and astonishingly still have a PM and ministers helping their Russian friends. And that's just us - similar problems elsewhere in NATO (and lets not even go into the American disaster) - Putin has spent a decade and more undermining us and knows we are at our weakest.

Which is why we need to get Russian money out of our politics. And why we need to purposefully rearm and re-equip armed forces that are fit for the modern age. The PM won't do that as witnessed by his astonishing row with Tobias Ellwood at the select committee meeting about tanks.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

[...]

You propose WWIII next week. That is not courage.
  • Options
    “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Seven posts in eleven minutes suggests that you are struggling even with that relatively simply objective ;)
  • Options
    kamski said:

darkage said:

To save you the bother of reading the thread:
    loads of extreme pro-Putin propaganda, lots of it from official Chinese sources.
    I did have a flick through but thought there must be more somewhere.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    Jonathan said:

moonshine said:

“Stand up to bullies”.

You might like to consider why Putin is escalating, he appears to have a policy to bring NATO into the conflict.
    Does he? I see the opposite. He's showing willingness to escalate in order to keep NATO out of the conflict.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    Heathener said:

Super valuable input, quoting a children’s book when deciding whether to directly attack a nuclear power.
This discussion has been closed.