Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Johnson looks securer Sunak’s next PM chances decline – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Kremlin says Putin ordered conscripts to be excluded from Ukraine operations and is now asking military prosecutors to find and punish those who allowed conscripts to go to Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/PaulSonne/status/1501602336036331530

Feeling the heat internally?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,638

Kremlin says Putin ordered conscripts to be excluded from Ukraine operations and is now asking military prosecutors to find and punish those who allowed conscripts to go to Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/PaulSonne/status/1501602336036331530

Feeling the heat internally?
    All his recent laws seem designed to be counterproductive.

Arrest spreaders of fake news? That's all of Russia Today epically buggered.

Punish those who illegally sent conscripts to Ukraine? He needs to arrest himself at once.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,324
    A visa centre being set up in northern France to assist Ukrainian refugees will not offer appointments or walk-in access, and its exact location will not be made public, the Home Office has confirmed https://trib.al/bOS5jbZ
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

He surely likes the optics of an Asian woman as Home Sec, and she has a strong backstory as well. Not another posho

Does he also like the optics that she is completely incompetent?
    He might. Might make him look better by comparison, even though his minister's failings should also be his.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

All that rather crass talk about a Johnson revival/the irrelevance of Partygate etc is surely starting to pall already. The fact is that he remains deep into "can't do anything right" territory, and this is the worst example so far

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1501631046844100611/photo/1

What does he have to lose by sacking Patel? Would she really be a threat to him from the backbenches?
    Because she's actually quite good.
    I love your dry delivery there
    I know, it's a stretch. @rpjs too.

Nonetheless I'll stand by the 'quite good'.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A visa centre being set up in northern France to assist Ukrainian refugees will not offer appointments or walk-in access, and its exact location will not be made public, the Home Office has confirmed https://trib.al/bOS5jbZ

Is it being run by the department for education?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431

Andy_JS said:

Nicola Sturgeon has called for a no-fly zone to be considered. She's also against nuclear weapons. Interesting combination.

I am please she has pardoned through witches though
    She's just one big brain fart today.
    Or 5 years ago, depending on which headline the more excitable of you chaps latches onto.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,323
    Andy_JS said:

Nicola Sturgeon has called for a no-fly zone to be considered. She's also against nuclear weapons. Interesting combination.

Fortunately Sturgeon is neither in charge of the armed forces or the nuclear deterrent
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,683
    Scott_xP said:

What?

Is this just part of an elaborate performance art project? 21st century Kafka.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is it being run by the department for education?

Vogon planning council
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    One thought on potential Russian losses.

Unlike their intel regarding when the Russian invasion would come, the western intel agencies seem to be far less confident regarding Russian losses. The Americans gave a broad range of 2000-4000 killed, said that was likely conservative but they were not confident on the numbers. There are also strong suggestions that the Russians have lost contact with a number of front-line units.

To me, that ties up with the idea that the western intelligence agencies' sources on Russia comes from people who are close to the central decision making infrastructure i.e. these are individuals who know the intentions of Putin but who may be operating in a vacuum when it comes to what is happening on the ground. I also think it is entirely possible that some of the Russian ground commanders are falsifying their casualty numbers to the army command for fear of being sacked / demoted etc.

If that is the case, then it suggests the Ukrainian numbers may not be too far off the mark.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Andy_JS said:

I've never understood why people rate her.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Sunak's chance of replacing Boris has not only declined, so his chances of being next Tory leader have diminished too in favour of Wallace after the Ukraine situation
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

If you want to provoke NATO into a no fly zone, what better way than bombing a hospital?

Putin seems to want to broaden things.

I very much doubt the hospital was targeted. The Russian jets will have chucked their bombs at the city, turned around and scarpered. I doubt there was any actual aiming involved.
    Worth pointing out Russia has form for the repeated, systematic targeting of hospitals.

This was a pretty conclusive report:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/middleeast/russia-bombing-syrian-hospitals.html

Indeed the Syrians have stopped providing locations of medical facilities to the UN, because they then turned around to Russia and gave them a 'do not bomb here list', who passed it onto their airforce, sans the 'not'.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

If you want to provoke NATO into a no fly zone, what better way than bombing a hospital?

Putin seems to want to broaden things.

I very much doubt the hospital was targeted. The Russian jets will have chucked their bombs at the city, turned around and scarpered. I doubt there was any actual aiming involved.
    Maybe. But the fact remains a hospital was hit. You have to ask the question given the implications. If you did want a no fly zone, this is the strategy you would follow.
    The bombs were dropped during an agreed ceasefire. Cynicism layered upon cynicism.
  • Options
    glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Because most of the other politicians we have right now are even more useless.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

eek said:

Another small nuclear reactor - this one powers 1000 homes https://www.usv.com/writing/2022/03/radiant/

Each one with its own armed police force, 24/7?

They ain't happening.
    You stack them at existing sites. The reason these are better is because they use a manufacturing process that is standardised. The first one will cost £2bn the 100th one will cost £50m.
  • Options
    glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Heartbroken that she lost your vote obvs.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,302
    rpjs said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

All that rather crass talk about a Johnson revival/the irrelevance of Partygate etc is surely starting to pall already. The fact is that he remains deep into "can't do anything right" territory, and this is the worst example so far

What does he have to lose by sacking Patel? Would she really be a threat to him from the backbenches?
    Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word "good" that I wasn't previously aware of.
    No, no, he was using 'good' in the traditional sense. It was 'quite' that was used in an entirely novel way.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

Another small nuclear reactor - this one powers 1000 homes https://www.usv.com/writing/2022/03/radiant/

They ain't happening.
    You stack them at existing sites. The reason these are better is because they use a manufacturing process that is standardised. The first one will cost £2bn the 100th one will cost £50m.
    Not what the article says.
  • Options
    Ferrari has stopped building cars for the Russian market and has pledged to donate €1 million to Ukraine relief https://trib.al/Qyrag5q
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,436
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Fortunately Sturgeon is neither in charge of the armed forces or the nuclear deterrent
    Just saying sorry for being nasty to witches.
  • Options
    How does Priti know they are not terrorists?

🇺🇦🇬🇧 EXC: 20 sick Ukrainian kids will be flown to Britain for cancer treatment, The Sun can reveal.

Health Secretary @SajidJavid has ordered a jet to bring the blighted tots and their families to the UK after Putin’s invasion cut off vital treatment…

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17899274/jet-ukraine-sick-children-flown-britain/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Scott_xP said:

Ferrari has stopped building cars for the Russian market and has pledged to donate €1 million to Ukraine relief https://trib.al/Qyrag5q

Ferraris are cheaper than the petrol in their tanks.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,600
    ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not sure that's true. Whatever one may think of Johnson, Starmer or Davey they all occupy a recognisable reality. All aspire to make their country a better place.
    Sturgeon is an utter loon.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word "good" that I wasn't previously aware of.
    No, no, he was using 'good' in the traditional sense. It was 'quite' that was used in an entirely novel way.
    Amusing, but I meant what I said.

The Home Office like Patel (very small sample).
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    glw said:

Andy_JS said:

She is a consummate operator in terms of presentation (for her target audiences) and tactically good at times but is a total bullshitter and devoid of anything remotely resembling ethics. Also dangerously authoritarian in that she hasn't got ethical or intellectual restraints on the combination of nationalism and ego.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Obviously I'd never vote for, nor can I, but I just don't get the adoration, she seems to be a quite run of the mill politician at best, and yet her supporters adore her. It's just a bit weird and cultish.
  • Options
    I’m calling it.

The twenty~first century is shite.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Just saying sorry for being nasty to witches.
    It's strange that this has upset you.
    Perhaps you can lobby for a future FM to apologise to you for your hurty feelings?
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Day by day, hour by hour the Kremlin crime boss is destroying a peaceful European democracy and for all the sanctions, legal action, weapons delivered and heroic Ukrainian defence, the West is still not prepared to will the means to put Putin firmly in his box. Putin is being given a pass because some worry about taking on the Russian rogue state.

We are now seeing the price of weakness and the bully will not be deterred by such weakness, only come back for more as his appetite for expansion grows more glutinous.

The immediate answer is simple, a red line to many, not without risk or the potential for NATO large losses :

1. No fly zone
    2. Russian invasion force to begin withdrawing within 12 hours
    3. Ukraine to be admitted to NATO with immediate effect.

Boris and other western leaders have said Putin must lose and be seen to lose. They need to take the decisive action that will ensure he does lose. Nothing else will do or work.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,747

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

She is a consummate operator in terms of presentation (for her target audiences) and tactically good at times but is a total bullshitter and devoid of anything remotely resembling ethics. Also dangerously authoritarian in that she hasn't got ethical or intellectual restraints on the combination of nationalism and ego.
    Interesting contrast between all those who have no voice, responsibility or power over the matter wanting a NATO NFZ, and everyone who does have responsibility and power unanimously saying NO.

• Options
    I applaud this bill.

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

A new bill officially makes it totally legal for civilians to kill Russian military personnel deployed to Ukraine

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501651655128985610
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

Day by day, hour by hour the Kremlin crime boss is destroying a peaceful European democracy and for all the sanctions, legal action, weapons delivered and heroic Ukrainian defence, the West is still not prepared to will the means to put Putin firmly in his box. Putin is being given a pass because some worry about taking on the Russian rogue state.

We are now seeing the price of weakness and the bully will not be deterred by such weakness, only come back for more as his appetite for expansion grows more glutinous.

The immediate answer is simple, a red line to many, not without risk or the potential for NATO large losses :

1. No fly zone

Boris and other western leaders have said Putin must lose and be seen to lose. They need to take the decisive action that will ensure he does lose. Nothing else will do or work.

That also means World War 3 with a nuclear power. Not happening.

We stick to supplies that is it and only take military action if a NATO nation is invaded
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not sure that's true. Whatever one may think of Johnson, Starmer or Davey they all occupy a recognisable reality. All aspire to make their country a better place.
    I'll allow Starmer and Davey. But Johnson? The man who got worse terms than May by giving in to every EU demand yet seems to think he got a better deal? Who thinks partying and lying to Parliament is following the rules and showing integrity?

No. Sturgeon is like Johnson in many ways - she's a rabid nationalist, a divisive fool, utterly untrustworthy, administratively totally incompetent and promotes genuinely nasty cronies to positions that they are utterly unfit for.

But she is more capable. Johnson for all the hype will never win another election, but she's won either two or four depending on how you count it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,747
    JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

Which major western countries have big opposition parties who support something like this? If there are not, I suggest there is an understanding in the west that ATM it can't happen. Listen carefully for example to SKS.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    glw said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Obviously I'd never vote for, nor can I, but I just don't get the adoration, she seems to be a quite run of the mill politician at best, and yet her supporters adore her. It's just a bit weird and cultish.
    What adoration for her has been seen on here for example? If any I'd say the whining about her far outstrips it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🇺🇦🇬🇧 EXC: 20 sick Ukrainian kids will be flown to Britain for cancer treatment, The Sun can reveal.

Health Secretary @SajidJavid has ordered a jet to bring the blighted tots and their families to the UK after Putin’s invasion cut off vital treatment…

A really good news story that your sad hatred wants to demean

The only person demeaned with comments like yours is yourself
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,436
    JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

speak for yourself - did you get this bothered by syria,Yemen or Congo ? You cannot guarantee the destruction of the UK and Europe on the back of emotion and disturbing pictures
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I applaud this bill.

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

A new bill officially makes it totally legal for civilians to kill Russian military personnel deployed to Ukraine

Seems very rash, because it converts civilians into soldiers and makes killing them no longer a war crime.
  • Options
    Coming to a petrol station near you.

• Options
    JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

I am afraid what Russia's actions have really done in terms of making the world more dangerous is showing that those with nuclear weapons can do pretty much whatever the hell they like.

I think we can kiss any hope of non-proliferation a sad goodbye.
  • Options

Really?! Can you give me the postcode? At those prices it would be worth the drive...
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

The large losses won't be NATO large losses, I promise you. Not initially. If we provide Putin into going nuclear it will be tactical nukes aimed at Ukrainian civilians
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,395
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

I applaud this bill.

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

Seems very rash, because it converts civilians into soldiers and makes killing them no longer a war crime.
    I wouldn't be too bothered if I were an Ukrainian defending my homeland if Ishmael told me that.

Edit: I've decided to pronounce Ukraine like an Ukrainian.

S
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I applaud this bill.

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

It doesn't unless they engage...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I'm with Scott on this one, I'm judicially reviewing Patel if she lets this lot in without visas. Rules are rules.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,154
    JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

Or go Mossad +. Stop playing nice. Putin’s kids in Switzerland - kill them. Oligarch’s children arriving by private jet in Mykonos - dead in their hotel beds. Make every Russian of any vague standing terrified for their children because they are enabling Putin to allow his forces to kill Ukrainian children.

Open a second front for Russia by dropping every Islamo-terrorist in captivity into Chechnya with weapons.

Take the fight into Russian streets with terrorism - they have been telling their people that the west has been doing nasty things - may as well just do them.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

They ain't happening.
    £2bn for 1,000 homes? Even £50m for 1,000 homes? That's eventually £50,000 cost of generating for every home.

Versus a tidal lagoon costing £7.5bn that powers 1.6m houses. That's cheaper on day one than the final cost for mini-nukes you quote. Your initial cost per unit is 40 times that of tidal.

And how long do they last? Not the 120 years minimum of a tidal lagoon. And how much do they cost to dismantle? Compared to the virtually zero of tidal.

The economics of these mini-nukes are still stupidly expensive.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm with Scott on this one, I'm judicially reviewing Patel if she lets this lot in without visas. Rules are rules.
    This lot - is this how you describe sick children
  • Options
    Why are we asking for visas for refugees? It’s bizarre.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Really?! Can you give me the postcode? At those prices it would be worth the drive...
    Check the pumps aren't dry first. Quite a few round here were today....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    Scott_xP said:

Not really the point. But would anyone but a tabloid journalist use "blighted tots"?
  • Options
    boulay said:

JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

Or go Mossad +. Stop playing nice. Putin’s kids in Switzerland - kill them. Oligarch’s children arriving by private jet in Mykonos - dead in their hotel beds. Make every Russian of any vague standing terrified for their children because they are enabling Putin to allow his forces to kill Ukrainian children.

Open a second front for Russia by dropping every Islamo-terrorist in captivity into Chechnya with weapons.

Take the fight into Russian streets with terrorism - they have been telling their people that the west has been doing nasty things - may as well just do them.

Hooray for collective punishment! Let's round them up and put them in camps.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

This is why

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Because many people vote Tory to keep out the forrin menace.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The Tesco on Savile Street in Sheffield was 150.9 on Monday.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

biggles said:

Omnium said:

biggles said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

I don't want it to become received wisdom that Johnson has been saved by the war. He could still be ditched before the GE. I don't think so but he might be. It depends on the polls. Plus he might not have been ditched in any case. Lying to parliament, breaking Covid laws, generally being corrupt, this clearly isn't enough for Tory MPs. It would have depended on the polls. Common thread - the polls.

It almost seems bad taste discussing our party politics in the current situation but here is an idle thought. If Ukraine situation is resolved in next 12 months then Johnson will decide to go rather than risk being ousted or losing the election having decided he has enough for his 3 volume memoirs?
    PMs want a legacy. Boris's jury is massively out.
    On that note, surely Brexit alone (whether you love or hate it) gives him a meaningful place in the history books beyond most PMs? Both the referendum before he was in power and forcing the final act in 2019. I can’t imagine anything he might do will equal that for good or ill, short of a place in WW3.
    On a bight outlook - Brexit, covid, end of Putin. That's huge.

Looking less brightly.. Brexit, covid, pontifications of Putin. Hopeless!

Who knows.
    Quite. But either way he gets a legacy. 100 years from now he’ll be discussed even if he went tomorrow. Not all PMs get that.
    Neville Chamberlain has entered the chat.

Lord North has also entered the chat.
    Massive difference though - the settled view is that those men made mistakes (though I’d debate the point on losing the American colonies). We can’t know what the settled view on Brexit will be. I am happy with it, and you are not. The nation is split too. We can’t know what it will look like in 100 years.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Ostensibly sick...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

Nice try with the Nazi equivalency - doing Vlad’s work there…..

Clearly I meant targeted on the kids of those enabling Ukrainian kids to be killed - I’m sure they don’t have a prob with kids being killed yes?

And opening a second front whilst Russian army stretched - quite obvious.

But yes I am a Nazi and want every Russian in a camp…..
  • Options
    Everybody apparently needs regular reminders.

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63
    There is no waiting this out. This isn't chess; there's no draw, no stalemate. Either Putin destroys Ukraine and eventually hits NATO with an even greater catastrophe, or Putin falls in Russia. He cannot be stopped with weakness.
    https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1499441249652293640
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Check the pumps aren't dry first. Quite a few round here were today....
    Massive arb available in Tavistock, diesel 1.62 morrisons/1.88 texaco
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

No, she's not. She's a quine.

You don't know your Scots quite well enough ...
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Because many people vote Tory to keep out the forrin menace.
    Implementing refugee quotas through bureaucracy seems needlessly cruel. Buy a pritt-stick and glue a visa in at the border if you have to. But for goodness sake don’t sent people on a wild goose chase.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Ostensibly sick...
    How many of them are really children used to be the cry.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,992

Andy_JS said:

I am please she has pardoned those witches though
    Needed to apologise for grounding broomsticks.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

What I have found fascinating about my year of Scottish politics is that compared to handy, Nippie looks and sounds completely sane. Even when promoting policies that are bonkers.
  • Options
    Is it possible Sturgeon is actually a strategic genius and has made peace with the witches to bring them on side and deploy them against the Russians?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,048
    glw said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Not just her supporters, her approval ratings in England are higher than our own party leaders.

No one bats a thousand, but she is a good communicator, doesn't patronise or insult, and gives at least the impression of listening to people. In other words comes over as a caring human being.

Pardoning Scottish witches does seem a bit odd, but it really isn't something that bothers me either way.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,690
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott’s comment was out of order, Big G was right to flag that up. You are trying to reply with, can’t you see this has Malcolm Tuckers hands all over it, after the Tory refugee crisis this week this government move it comes across as a bit cynical?

But To be realistic about it, they are sick, their families with more than war to worry them, someone in government must clearly have been trying to help them for days - a special type of wave through for them I think matches the warm spirit we really are as a nation. In terms of the medi care they need, our NHS is a great place for them to come. Do you see my point? It’s not just good for them, good news stories in this situation is good for all of us - we can actually save lives with this action not lose them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

I am afraid what Russia's actions have really done in terms of making the world more dangerous is showing that those with nuclear weapons can do pretty much whatever the hell they like.

I think we can kiss any hope of non-proliferation a sad goodbye.
    Which is why China, bizarrely, is the best hope this doesn't go nuclear. If Xi isn't on the phone telling Vlad not to use nuclear weapons because it will fuck things up with Japan etc I'd be surprised.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

What I have found fascinating about my year of Scottish politics is that compared to handy, Nippie looks and sounds completely sane. Even when promoting policies that are bonkers.
    Handy?
  • Options
    EU intelligence diverging from US quite significantly:

"From our estimate, the KIA figure on the Russian side was anywhere from 7,000 to 9,000 a few days ago."
    "It's not a popular war in the Russian military from what we've seen. People are terrorized, threatened with lawsuits if they decline to fight."

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1501652227605372940

If the EU numbers are correct then we'd be expecting to see at least one Russian front on the brink of collapse, which I don't think we're seeing yet, unless the poor Russian supplies means that many more WIA were turning into KIA than normal.
  • Options
    If the world doesn't face Putin down right now it never will.

And he knows it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think visas for refugees isn't unreasonable, but it should be fairly nominal with a minimum of cost or hassle.

The reason that we don't do it is the obvious question that if we can do it easily for Ukranians, why can't we do it for Afghans, Iranians or Syrians?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Handy?
    Mr Salmond. Very handy in the garden.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

I know she's wrong that to "close the sky" doesn't involve fighting.

I don't think that distinction matters any more.

Liubov Tsybulska
    @TsybulskaLiubov
    Lots of killed and wounded after terrible bombing of the maternity hospital. 1170 killed civilians only in Mariupol city. We don’t ask to fight for us, just close the sky. If that’s how democracies react to RU war crimes, then something wrong with these democracies.They’re broken

We can hardly blame them that they are not that particularly persuaded by the argument it would escalate things into a 'real' war, it being pretty darn real to them already.
    If we escalate it's not us that get nuked in the first instance, it's them.

trick is stealthy escalation. Flood them with Starstreaks this week, revisit the MiG 29 transfer next.
    I think the MIG transfers will happen quietly as it loses press focus.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

@HYUFD .. @IshmaelZ .. @state_go_away .. @algarkirk

You are not prepared to stand firm against Putin. It's a perfectly reasonable appeasement position as long as you are happy for Ukraine to become a Russian puppet state and risk Finland, Sweden, Moldova and Georgia to go the same way.

The choice is simple and stark. Act robustly against Putin or let him roam with grisly impunity and all that comes with it.

I've moved more to this position. I think Putin is essentially playing the game of "mad vs bad" but, from everything so far, when the West responds, he is all bluster. Publicising you are sending thousands of anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles to your foe is pretty provocative but he hasn't done anything.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935

ydoethur said:

Archer Road Sainsburys Sheffield is the same. They just told me they are putting it up 6p a litre tonight
  • Options
    It’s horrible to wake up and realise your living in 1939.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

Clearly I meant targeted on the kids of those enabling Ukrainian kids to be killed - I’m sure they don’t have a prob with kids being killed yes?

If you're talking about killing the children of the relevant people -- even if the relevant people are war criminals -- then you are the bad guy.
    I'm open to the concept of extrajudicial killing in EXTREME circumstances and where there no reasonable hope of justice being served (that's just war), but targeting non-combatants who happen to be related to commanders is really, really fucking dark.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Publicising you are sending thousands of anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles to your foe is pretty provocative but he hasn't done anything.

He bombed a hospital
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

EU intelligence diverging from US quite significantly:

"From our estimate, the KIA figure on the Russian side was anywhere from 7,000 to 9,000 a few days ago."
    "It's not a popular war in the Russian military from what we've seen. People are terrorized, threatened with lawsuits if they decline to fight."

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1501652227605372940

If the EU numbers are correct then we'd be expecting to see at least one Russian front on the brink of collapse, which I don't think we're seeing yet, unless the poor Russian supplies means that many more WIA were turning into KIA than normal.

For “EU intelligence” we can presumably read French/German and I guess it’s credible that they have more open comms into Russia.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135

You jest, but buy now, pay later for basic food purchases, never mind petrol, is apparently a thing now.

The entire cost of living problem is getting properly out of control. My electric and gas bill is going up by about 45% in April, but it's from a comparatively low base and we can absorb the cost without any real difficulty. Mr & Mrs Average with their two cars to keep on the road, their two smelly kids growing out of their clothes every few weeks, and their extortionate mortgage or even worse rent are liable to be left really smarting by this latest episode, and that's before the bills get jacked up by another hefty chunk in the Autumn. One imagines that the knock-on effects on the wider economy will be considerable: a lot of these families are going to be finding treats like eating out and holidays increasingly unaffordable.

Nor had I appreciated how much rents had gone up in recent years. Prior to buying my flat in 2015, the place I'd been renting had set me back £650pcm and was just about to go up to £675pcm. Similar properties in this neck of the woods now start at £900pcm - and we're a good forty miles away from London. Get further into the commuter belt and it gets progressively worse, of course.

Quite apart from the fact that this is going to leave a lot of affluent households just about managing, and many of those who were only just managing before in real hardship, the political ramifications are going to be considerable. Wait and see what happens when the second energy price hike hits in the Autumn, at the same time as pensioners on fixed incomes are starting to feel the cold. You have to imagine that there's going to be a lot of downwards pressure on the Conservative polling floor; however, if they manage to keep above 30% then there will be renewed questions about Labour's electability, together with a lot of head scratching about exactly what continues to motivate the Tories' legion of robot voters.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

If the world doesn't face Putin down right now it never will.

And he knows it.

We never were and he's known it for 15 years or more.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Handy?
    Mr Salmond. Very handy in the garden.
    Ah. Seems so long ago now I was wondering if it was a name for Messrs Sarwar, C-H or Ross.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,197
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Aircraft flying near the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad and near Finland’s eastern border with Russia have noticed interference with their GPS signals, according to Finnish authorities.

The interference began soon after Finland’s President Sauli Niinistö met Joe Biden in Washington on Saturday to discuss deepening defense ties between Finland and Nato due to Russia’s attack on Ukraine.

Prime Minister Sanna Marin told Reuters she had no information about the source of the disturbances, nor about whether they originated in Russia, while the foreign ministry said it was looking into the events.

“If they would be caused by outside influence, it would surely be said publicly,” Marin said.

The Kremlin did not immediately reply to a request for comment about the reported interference.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/09/finland-gps-disturbances-aircrafts-russia?

As I noted on Saturday we need to invade Kaliningrad to secure peace in Europe.

What would you do with Kaliningrad if you had it? Persuade the 650,000 Russians that live there to become model Western citizens? Clear them out and give the space to Poland or Lithuania? None of the options look terribly practical.
    Cookie said:

Aircraft flying near the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad and near Finland’s eastern border with Russia have noticed interference with their GPS signals, according to Finnish authorities.

The interference began soon after Finland’s President Sauli Niinistö met Joe Biden in Washington on Saturday to discuss deepening defense ties between Finland and Nato due to Russia’s attack on Ukraine.

Prime Minister Sanna Marin told Reuters she had no information about the source of the disturbances, nor about whether they originated in Russia, while the foreign ministry said it was looking into the events.

“If they would be caused by outside influence, it would surely be said publicly,” Marin said.

The Kremlin did not immediately reply to a request for comment about the reported interference.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/09/finland-gps-disturbances-aircrafts-russia?

As I noted on Saturday we need to invade Kaliningrad to secure peace in Europe.

What would you do with Kaliningrad if you had it? Persuade the 650,000 Russians that live there to become model Western citizens? Clear them out and give the space to Poland or Lithuania? None of the options look terribly practical.
    If you think invading Kaliningrad is a good idea then he's got seven bridges to sell you.
    Very good for an oiler.

• Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    JACK_W said:

You are not prepared to stand firm against Putin. It's a perfectly reasonable appeasement position as long as you are happy for Ukraine to become a Russian puppet state and risk Finland, Sweden, Moldova and Georgia to go the same way.

The choice is simple and stark. Act robustly against Putin or let him roam with grisly impunity and all that comes with it.

The West cannot even decide whether to allow Ukraine a few aging MIGs to help stop the bombing of children's hospitals, it seems.

• Options

ydoethur said:

Archer Road Sainsburys Sheffield is the same. They just told me they are putting it up 6p a litre tonight
    A 0.0039% increase according to HY.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

MrEd said:

Publicising you are sending thousands of anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles to your foe is pretty provocative but he hasn't done anything.

He bombed a hospital
    Not just a hospital - a children's hospital
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,542
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Not just her supporters, her approval ratings in England are higher than our own party leaders.

No one bats a thousand, but she is a good communicator, doesn't patronise or insult, and gives at least the impression of listening to people. In other words comes over as a caring human being.

Pardoning Scottish witches does seem a bit odd, but it really isn't something that bothers me either way.
    Seemed a bit forgetful when asked about Alec salmond though...
    I think she is competent and that compares well with the U.K. pm. I think her caution on Covid probably matched more of the public than Johnson’s more open instincts, which I think more closely matches the pb demographic (not all, obviously). I also think we have a bit of the grass being greener going on. We don’t tend to see the scrutiny down south.
  • Options
    boulay said:

JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

This is insanity.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

If you're talking about killing the children of the relevant people -- even if the relevant people are war criminals -- then you are the bad guy.
    I'm open to the concept of extrajudicial killing in EXTREME circumstances and where there no reasonable hope of justice being served (that's just war), but targeting non-combatants who happen to be related to commanders is really, really fucking dark.
    It is dark and I hate even thinking it but if it’s the choice between that and watching, from our lovely safe armchairs, kids’ hospitals being bombed and civilians being targeted for nothing then it’s the lesser evil.

I’m sorry if you disagree and I totally get why you or anyone does but unfortunately some people will only realise what they’ve done wrong when it truly comes home to them.
  • Options

Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Seemed a bit forgetful when asked about Alec salmons though...
    I think she is competent and that compares well with the U.K. pm. I think her caution on Covid probably matched more of the public than Johnson’s more open instincts, which I think more closely matches the pb demographic (not all, obviously). I also think we have a bit of the grass being greener going on. We don’t tend to see the scrutiny down south.
    Works both ways, the last sentence. Amazing how many on PB are absolutely convinced that the Scottish media are pro-SNP.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

The other big difference is apart from rising blood pressure from ranting, you're virtually unaffected by whether she's elected or not, the pricks you vote for otoh have a big effect on my life.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

It's not me not standing firm, any standing firm I do would be by proxy what with my advanced age and gammy leg, and even if I did stand firm it's not me in the firing line. If Vlad goes nuclear it's Ukraine that suffers. So this is mere windbaggery. What I am in favour of is stepping up military supplies, and as I have said, given the specific option to crowdfund nlaws that's exactly what I will do. That's the max to which we dare push it
  • Options
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

JACK_W said:

1. No fly zone

It happened in WW2 on occasion by us, even for those who were entitled to protection.

I think I recall an account of a German prisoner being dropped back by a sabotaged parachute to get misdirecting docs into the hands of the Germans. IIRC correctly I think this was in the book "Between Silk and Cyanide", by Leo Marks.
This discussion has been closed.